Old 09-30-2015, 02:48 AM   #351
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Liked The Grinder a lot
stevew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 06:38 PM   #352
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I know basically nobody here probably watches empire, and of those that do, the ones that have also seen Hustle and Flow are really rare. But anyways the meta-ness of the crossover stuff this week was flat out awesome
Old 10-02-2015, 07:20 PM   #353
Izulde
Head Coach

Two fantastic episodes of Fresh Off The Boat (I love Nahnatchka Khan's shows so very much, and still pissed that Don't Trust The B In Apt 23 got pulled), a strong return of Brooklyn Ninety-Nine.

Scandal continues its sheer stupidity, but I keep watching, because it hasn't yet reached the obnoxious level that Glee and The Mindy Project did (I imagine I'll finish the former at some point, just to say that I did, and the latter is still awful dreck from the promos I've seen).

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 09:40 PM   #354
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I know basically nobody here probably watches empire, and of those that do, the ones that have also seen Hustle and Flow are really rare. But anyways the meta-ness of the crossover stuff this week was flat out awesome

Dude, look at the ratings for Empire. I'd be surprised if you and I were the only ones here that watched it.
Old 10-02-2015, 10:03 PM   #355
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, but you break down the demo of here specifically, White, male. 37-49, I'm guessing that's not the people who tend to watch.
Old 10-03-2015, 10:41 AM   #356
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Liked The Grinder a lot

I agree. It is the best premier episode I've seen in a while. Grandfathered was ok at best.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 11:42 AM   #357
aknott
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Dude, look at the ratings for Empire. I'd be surprised if you and I were the only ones here that watched it.

Yeah, my wife and I watch it. We watch a lot of crime shows so this one is a nice change of pace.
aknott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 02:43 PM   #358
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Watched Dr. Ken on my DVR. I'm not kidding when I say it was probably the worst show I've ever seen.
Old 10-05-2015, 08:17 PM   #359
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Will Farrell had the best cameo on Last Man on Earth
Old 10-31-2015, 11:05 PM   #360
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I enjoyed Ash vs Evil Dead
Old 11-02-2015, 03:45 PM   #361
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

For the future, but CBS is going to air (apparently exclusively online) a new Star Trek series and Fox is developing a Greatest American Hero reboot.

Now if only NBC could bring back Diff'rent Strokes and Hello, Larry. I bet Kim Richards would jump at the chance.

I'm personally holding out for James at 50.

Thought the Supergirl premiere was decent, I'll give it a second try tonight, though I'm thinking my odds are against sticking with it. Hopefully it won't be so heavy on the battle sequences.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 04:12 PM   #362
Scarecrow
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
For the future, but CBS is going to air (apparently exclusively online) a new Star Trek series and Fox is developing a Greatest American Hero reboot.

Now if only NBC could bring back Diff'rent Strokes and Hello, Larry. I bet Kim Richards would jump at the chance.

I'm personally holding out for James at 50.

Thought the Supergirl premiere was decent, I'll give it a second try tonight, though I'm thinking my odds are against sticking with it. Hopefully it won't be so heavy on the battle sequences.

Instead of Diff'rent Strokes and Hello, Larry how about Coach and ALF?

Last edited by Scarecrow : 11-02-2015 at 04:21 PM.
Scarecrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 04:14 PM   #363
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

So I absolutely loved "The Leftovers" last season, while realizing it wasn't everyone's cup of tea (the 2nd half of the season was just brilliant TV, though). The show has just gotten better in the 2nd season with an almost mini-reboot (though they had burned through the entire book in the 1st season) and, interestingly, is getting almost universal critical acclaim. I wonder if we'll see it in the running for Golden Globe's and Emmy's next year?
Old 11-02-2015, 04:25 PM   #364
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
"The Leftovers" ... The show has just gotten better in the 2nd season

Right, right, I *really* need to get started on Season 2 already.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 10:39 AM   #365
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
So I absolutely loved "The Leftovers" last season, while realizing it wasn't everyone's cup of tea (the 2nd half of the season was just brilliant TV, though). The show has just gotten better in the 2nd season with an almost mini-reboot (though they had burned through the entire book in the 1st season) and, interestingly, is getting almost universal critical acclaim. I wonder if we'll see it in the running for Golden Globe's and Emmy's next year?

I have been a huge fan since the beginning as well (I also am a big sucker for odd series on HBO like Carnivale and Bored to Death) but this season has been really solid. My wife used to walk in during the beginning of last season and make fun of me with the chain smoking cult, the truth or dare teen party, the God guy with the Asians at his pool, the deer running around... then about halfway through the season she would still claim to not like it but began asking more questions and somehow always being around when it was on. Now this season she is all in asking me when we are going to watch it. A great show for those of you who either gave up on it or never watched it. Not really even sure you need more than a primer of what happened last season, seems like they tied up some loose ends in Mapleton but maybe won't ever return there.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 10:44 AM   #366
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I think knowing last season helps hit a few things harder this season. For example, the Pastor Matt episode this season is powerful, but when you think of his episode last season it hits even harder. Also knowing what the Garveys and Nora went through (esp the ordeal with Patti) really fills things in. And Holy Wayne tells you about Todd's new choice. I guess you don't need to watch Season 1, but it helps.

Also the stuff with the Guilty Remnant and Holy Wayne is a fantastic look at how people deal with grief. The last two episodes of Season 1 were fantastic television.
Old 11-03-2015, 11:23 AM   #367
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
I have been a huge fan since the beginning as well (I also am a big sucker for odd series on HBO like Carnivale and Bored to Death) but this season has been really solid. My wife used to walk in during the beginning of last season and make fun of me with the chain smoking cult, the truth or dare teen party, the God guy with the Asians at his pool, the deer running around... then about halfway through the season she would still claim to not like it but began asking more questions and somehow always being around when it was on. Now this season she is all in asking me when we are going to watch it. A great show for those of you who either gave up on it or never watched it. Not really even sure you need more than a primer of what happened last season, seems like they tied up some loose ends in Mapleton but maybe won't ever return there.

This is how my wife got into Battlestar Gallactica years ago.
Old 11-03-2015, 11:25 AM   #368
Grover
Pro Starter

I'm sorry, Gotham, but I just can't do this anymore.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 11:48 AM   #369
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
I'm sorry, Gotham, but I just can't do this anymore.

I had to give it up last year. Ben what's his name as James Gordon didn't do it for me.
Old 11-03-2015, 11:54 AM   #370
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
I had to give it up last year. Ben what's his name as James Gordon didn't do it for me.

I was fine with him. Everything else has just gotten... so unbelievable. These are not things typical humans would do.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 01:21 PM   #371
Thomkal
Head Coach

Flash is beating some of the major networks-last night-tied season high ratings.

The Flash Ratings Pushing The CW Past Other Networks | Comicbook.com
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 01:15 PM   #372
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

While American Horror Story is pretty much always off the rails, the subplot of this last episode about the infant vampire on the loose and all of that? That was fucking insane and completely ridiculous. I laughed out loud. A lot.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 08:56 PM   #373
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

is it any good this year? I fizzled out last year and haven't even bothered to check in on this season. the odd numbered seasons do seam to be the good ones though...
Old 11-12-2015, 10:43 PM   #374
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
is it any good this year? I fizzled out last year and haven't even bothered to check in on this season. the odd numbered seasons do seam to be the good ones though...

It's crazy as always, but, yeah, I think it's better this year than last. Definitely.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 11-13-2015, 08:00 AM   #375
RainMaker
General Manager

Does anyone here watch "You're the Worst"? It's kind of good.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 08:33 AM   #376
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post

Yeah, I do. It really is. They're doing some really great things this season, some deeper, more serious stuff.
Old 12-02-2015, 12:11 PM   #377
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Really digging Quantico a lot.
Old 12-02-2015, 04:01 PM   #378
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post

yup

season 3 was picked up by fxx today, good news!
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 02:50 AM   #379
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Season finale of The Leftovers tonight. I wasn't a huge fan of the first season, but I stuck with it. I think season two has been HBO's best work since The Wire. It's taken us in so many directions - maybe too many - but every episode has been thought-provoking and surprising.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 10:04 AM   #380
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Fantastic season finale (and hopefully not series finale) of the Leftovers. The season was amazing. I was a huge fan of the first season - I was struck by the overwhelming heaviness and the dealing with grief. At the very least, you can say there was nothing else like it. You can say the same with the second season, but man did that go in to overdrive. Fantastic story, as well as further exploration of faith and belief. Just amazingly done!
Old 12-07-2015, 10:17 AM   #381
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Fantastic season finale (and hopefully not series finale) of the Leftovers. The season was amazing. I was a huge fan of the first season - I was struck by the overwhelming heaviness and the dealing with grief. At the very least, you can say there was nothing else like it. You can say the same with the second season, but man did that go in to overdrive. Fantastic story, as well as further exploration of faith and belief. Just amazingly done!

Yes. Loved this season and the finale. Very deep looks at death and relationships. Unfortunately the last scene sure did seem like a series finale and it was completely wrapped up.
Old 12-07-2015, 10:19 AM   #382
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I think it, at least, allowed for both options. Lindelof has been fighting for the show's life, he says. And the ratings were terrible. But HBO may give it extra life... esp if they are convinced it could do excellent things around award season.
Old 12-07-2015, 10:36 AM   #383
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I think it, at least, allowed for both options. Lindelof has been fighting for the show's life, he says. And the ratings were terrible. But HBO may give it extra life... esp if they are convinced it could do excellent things around award season.

Season 1 was the only one that followed the source material right? I love most of the characters and would love to see a season 3 but the good shows rarely get more than 1-2 seasons.
Old 12-07-2015, 10:44 AM   #384
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, Season 1 dealt with the source material, but veered off in some big ways in the end (though followed it fairly closely otherwise):

Spoiler
Old 12-10-2015, 08:58 AM   #385
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I finally watched The Leftovers season finale this morning. What a great season of television. Has to rank up there among the best. Wonderful show.
Old 12-10-2015, 07:35 PM   #386
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
Season 1 was the only one that followed the source material right? I love most of the characters and would love to see a season 3 but the good shows rarely get more than 1-2 seasons.

Renewed for one more, final, season.

‘The Leftovers’ Renewed For Third & Final Season By HBO | Deadline
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 10:23 AM   #387
Thomkal
Head Coach

Two new shows start tonight on SyFy. They have not been over-promoting it, so perhaps they will be worth watching. Both based on books: Childshood's End by Arthur C Clarke and The Expanse by James Corey and Daniel Abraham. They compared Expanse to Game of Thrones in space, which probably means its not.
Old 12-14-2015, 11:22 AM   #388
spleen1015
Coordinator

Got through 4 episodes of Leftovers S1 this weekend. I like it, but there is still a lot of 'WTF is going on?'.
Old 12-14-2015, 11:28 AM   #389
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Two new shows start tonight on SyFy. They have not been over-promoting it, so perhaps they will be worth watching. Both based on books: Childshood's End by Arthur C Clarke and The Expanse by James Corey and Daniel Abraham. They compared Expanse to Game of Thrones in space, which probably means its not.

The Expanse is a really good series of books. If you like noir or space opera, it is your cup of tea.

No idea how the tv show will be, but the source material is fun.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 11:31 AM   #390
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
Got through 4 episodes of Leftovers S1 this weekend. I like it, but there is still a lot of 'WTF is going on?'.

The "WTF is going on" is a recurring feature. It's one of the reasons I really like the show, FWIW. It's my favorite current TV show.
Old 12-17-2015, 06:36 PM   #391
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
The Expanse is a really good series of books. If you like noir or space opera, it is your cup of tea.

No idea how the tv show will be, but the source material is fun.

I only watched the first episode (2nd is recorded and waiting to be watched), but I really liked it. Good first episode and an interesting world setting. Never read the books.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 08:35 PM   #392
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
I only watched the first episode (2nd is recorded and waiting to be watched), but I really liked it. Good first episode and an interesting world setting. Never read the books.

Haven't watched the second episode yet, but I thought it was pretty average generic sci-fi. Cast wasn't too bad, but so far not much of a storyline to get hooked on. Maybe that will change when they find this missing girl and find out why she is missing.
Old 12-20-2015, 03:10 AM   #393
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Haven't watched the second episode yet, but I thought it was pretty average generic sci-fi. Cast wasn't too bad, but so far not much of a storyline to get hooked on. Maybe that will change when they find this missing girl and find out why she is missing.

Keep watching.

You're right that not much of what is in here is really new stuff, but honestly, there are very few truly original shows, story-wise. This one isn't either.

But I have watched through the first four episodes (the last two are available now at Syfy.com), and the acting continues to be strong, the effects are amazing for a TV show, the story line has gotten a lot more intriguing and the action is really good. Episode 4 in particular is very action filled and exciting.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 12-20-2015 at 03:10 AM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 08:50 AM   #394
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Keep watching.

You're right that not much of what is in here is really new stuff, but honestly, there are very few truly original shows, story-wise. This one isn't either.

But I have watched through the first four episodes (the last two are available now at Syfy.com), and the acting continues to be strong, the effects are amazing for a TV show, the story line has gotten a lot more intriguing and the action is really good. Episode 4 in particular is very action filled and exciting.

we shall see. Saw the second episode, was enough for now to keep me around. Still curious how that missing girl fits into all this.
Old 12-20-2015, 09:02 AM   #395
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Keep watching.

we shall see. Saw the second episode, was enough for now to keep me around. Still curious how that missing girl fits into all this. SyFy going all out with new shows-saw the preview of the Magicians-should appeal to Harry Potter fans, and Colony, which I can find no trailers or info about on SyFy, which is probably not a good sign. Stars Sawyer from Lost and unfortunately Lori from The Walking Dead.
Old 12-20-2015, 08:49 PM   #396
Critch
lolzcat

I'm not sure about The Expanse after two episodes, but I'll stick with it. I'm kind of hoping the "Games of Thrones in space" line they've mentioned means they kill off characters regularly, because I've already had enough of some of the main ones.

Finished off Childhood's End today, very good. Slow moving but a good storyline and well adapted by Syfy. I didnt know anything about Arthur C Clarke's novel, so the "twist" at the end of the first season was something I didnt see coming.

For Colony, there was a trailer shown during Childhood's End today. Looked worth setting the dvr for and giving it a chance.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 02:49 AM   #397
Radii
Head Coach

Nice thing about recovering from surgery and having to slow down for a few days, I finally found the time to binge both Fargo and the Leftovers season 2. And both were better than the first season's that I already loved. Simply amazing stuff. I've had "Where Is My Mind" in a playlist for awhile now, and a twitch music streamer that I enjoy plays a hell of a cover of it, so I've heard it a LOT lately, and then it got used on what, 4 different occasions during the season? All of the music was just wonderfully used, and spots where it repeated like with Where is My Mind played perfectly. Can't wait to see where the final season goes.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote