Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-20-2015, 10:39 AM   #351
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
I don't think this is an accurate description. It's occasionally accurate but usually I would describe what he does as sarcasm/obfuscation to avoid giving out useful information. Maybe our bars on what 'being a raging dick' are different. I certainly don't think coaches are or should be required to directly answer all questions the media poses.

I admittedly don't watch a ton of Spurs games, even on TNT, but it also seems like he can be prickly when he has to do those in between quarters interviews, which its hard to blame him for that.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 10:45 AM   #352
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I have little problems with Lynch. To my eyes, he plays hard on every down and is one of the toughest ball carriers I've ever seen. He doesn't want to talk to reporters, partially, because they twist words - which, you know, they do. It sells papers, makes controversy, etc. It does indeed happen. So I don't fault him too much for that, especially after what the media did to Sherman.

A player who plays hard, fights for every yard, fires up his team and the crowd - where can I get one of those RBs in Atlanta?
Old 01-20-2015, 10:46 AM   #353
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

http://www.theonion.com/articles/nfl...ame-wit,37805/
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 11:16 AM   #354
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I hold you in pretty high regards as a sports fan, but this is a load of hogwash.

The reporters are being jerks for trying to do their jobs?

The NFL requires their players to talk to the media, I have no issue with that at all, they make plenty of money. Unless you are mentaly ill it shouldn't be that hard to act like a civil human being to someone just trying to make a living.

signed a middle aged white guy...
There is nothing preventing a reporter from "doing his job" by a particular player not supplying quotes of interest. What it does is force a reporter to actually do a bit of work rather than follow their cookie-cutter formula - they have to write more about the game and rely less on fluff quotes.

I know the NFL has the rule. I get why they think they need that rule. But the reality is they don't need that rule - plenty of players are willing to talk, to get their name out there and get the publicity. And really, all the NFL can do is say "you have to talk to the media"; they can't tell the players what to say, other than the standard no slander type of stuff.

So what we have is a Mexican stand-off. Reporters know full well Lynch's position, and yet some still insist on poking the bear knowing they're going to get nothing of value. It's a silly charade, and those reporters would do better to move on over to another locker where there are other players willing and wanting to talk.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 11:24 AM   #355
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I think fans and non-fans can be critical of specific actions. Last year at this time was the Sherman incident. He is likely a good, intelligent person but his one action did not reflect well upon him. With Lynch, it's what we first saw in the Sea-NO game. To keep doing that in defiance of your employers and in front of everyone signals some behavioral issues, imo. No one else does that, just as there are few with anger issues in fighting and stomping. As far as not talking, I am not a fan of stupid questions and non-answers but should it be celebrated when someone is consistently rude, inconsiderate and rebelling against rules?
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 11:26 AM   #356
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
There is nothing preventing a reporter from "doing his job" by a particular player not supplying quotes of interest. What it does is force a reporter to actually do a bit of work rather than follow their cookie-cutter formula - they have to write more about the game and rely less on fluff quotes.

I know the NFL has the rule. I get why they think they need that rule. But the reality is they don't need that rule - plenty of players are willing to talk, to get their name out there and get the publicity. And really, all the NFL can do is say "you have to talk to the media"; they can't tell the players what to say, other than the standard no slander type of stuff.

So what we have is a Mexican stand-off. Reporters know full well Lynch's position, and yet some still insist on poking the bear knowing they're going to get nothing of value. It's a silly charade, and those reporters would do better to move on over to another locker where there are other players willing and wanting to talk.

All that is true, but it still makes Lynch come off as a d-bag. Everyone else can answer questions, even though I am sure there are several guys who don't want to.

Thats why I think he has some mental issues.
Old 01-20-2015, 11:27 AM   #357
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

It's not about that there are players available. It's about that certain players, like the starting RB for the defending Super Bowl champion, specifically need to be talked to for a story.

A reporter can't do his job if he's asking running back questions to the third string center.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 11:28 AM   #358
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
Except for those automatically jumping in to defend any player on "their" team as if being a PR flak is more important than being sophisticated and less biased. I think fantasy football has done a lot to help that.
The advantage of being a fan of a local team and watching all of their games and all of their interviews is you get a much better sense of the players and their personalities. How many folks knew much about Richard Sherman before his rant after the NFC Championship game last year? Those of us that watch him week-in, week-out know him well and understood the context and who he is as a person. Same thing with Lynch.

I wouldn't act the same way as Lynch. I come from an entirely different background than him, and his values and what he's all about are something I probably won't ever fully understand.

But I also know that he has (mostly) kept his nose clean off the field, does a ton of good work off the field that plays his ass off and is held in very high regard in the Seattle locker room. I may not understand where he comes from, but I respect his right to live his life his way, and I'm not so arrogant as to say that my way of doing things is better than his, just different. I find the talking to the media rule of the NFL to be ridiculous, just another hyper-controlling rule that is hot garbage. The idea that the NFL would have ejected Lynch for wearing his gold cleats is even more ridiculous.

So, yeah - would I have these views if these guys weren't on "my" team? Probably not, simply because I wouldn't have the amount of exposure to them that would go well beyond what most sports fans would have of them.
Old 01-20-2015, 11:31 AM   #359
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
It's not about that there are players available. It's about that certain players, like the starting RB for the defending Super Bowl champion, specifically need to be talked to for a story.

A reporter can't do his job if he's asking running back questions to the third string center.
Utter baloney. You don't have to write a game story using quotes from the running back.

One of the great revelations of the blogger age is the realization that standard media game coverage is not that great. I'd rather read the game recaps from good bloggers (like the folks at Field Gulls) than anything a beat reporter writes afterwards, because unlike the formula the beat reporters use, the bloggers are forced to actually dive more into the details of the game and not fill up half (or more) of their game stories with quotes that may (or may not as is usually the case) contain anything of value for the reader.
Old 01-20-2015, 11:48 AM   #360
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Utter baloney. You don't have to write a game story using quotes from the running back.

One of the great revelations of the blogger age is the realization that standard media game coverage is not that great. I'd rather read the game recaps from good bloggers (like the folks at Field Gulls) than anything a beat reporter writes afterwards, because unlike the formula the beat reporters use, the bloggers are forced to actually dive more into the details of the game and not fill up half (or more) of their game stories with quotes that may (or may not as is usually the case) contain anything of value for the reader.

That may be utter baloney to you, but it is standard journalism practice. Interview the "actors".

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 01-20-2015, 11:50 AM   #361
Buccaneer
Head Coach

dawgfan, good points. I have long disliked the pervasive 24-hour sports (and media) culture and the need to justify so much crap that is published, blogged and broadcasted. We have long seen this with sites like yahoo having to make up stuff just to get eyeballs. I also have never tolerated PR flaks and spokespersons having to flat out lie to everyone. So in that respect, I'm old school in that one should report the news. If that results in eliminating 50% of "news" site and less reporters asking questions, so be it. But what makes Lynch so much of an exception in his behaviors? I don't think it's wrong to hold that up as a role model or encouraging others to emulate.
Old 01-20-2015, 11:51 AM   #362
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I hold you in pretty high regards as a sports fan, but this is a load of hogwash.

The reporters are being jerks for trying to do their jobs?

The NFL requires their players to talk to the media, I have no issue with that at all, they make plenty of money. Unless you are mentaly ill it shouldn't be that hard to act like a civil human being to someone just trying to make a living.

signed a middle aged white guy...

I agree it shouldnt be that hard to act civil and mature. Why dont the media wait outside the lockeroom for 20 minutes allow players to decompress, shower and dress and then get their interviews? This goes both ways. Writers pushed for locker room access partly because they wanted heat of the moment reaction and partly because they didnt want to extend the work day.

If we want to go down the path of players must answer every question honestly and fully then the next opponent home town beat writer is going to start being in the locker room with some interesting questions.

Id love to see that Mexican stand-off.
What play will you run first next week Coach Bellichik?
Answer correctly or the league will fine you.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 11:53 AM   #363
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

I also suspect it would be much easier for Lynch to just answer the question with standard canned responses.

Played hard today. Great win. All the Glory to God and my teammates. One game left.
Old 01-20-2015, 11:54 AM   #364
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
That may be utter baloney to you, but it is standard journalism practice. Interview the "actors".
And as I've pointed out, "standard journalism practice" doesn't necessarily produce the best end-user results. The beat writers for the Seahawks have adapted. The national guys can learn to do the same.
Old 01-20-2015, 11:55 AM   #365
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
Seems like this is one of those things I've read about home teams doing for decades and decades. Granted I'm a homer, but who's pushing this ticky tacky BS as a story?

People who want to push a Patriots cheating story. When Aaron Rodgers told Phil Simms earlier this year that he over inflates footballs beyond what the league allows no one seemed to care at all.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 11:58 AM   #366
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

The dude is getting paid millions of dollars to perform a job. Unfortunately for him, one of the requirements of that job is to talk to media members. I dont see the gray area here and letting him do whatever the F he wants sends the wrong message to other players in the league. Player and team accessibility (hello NFL Films and NFL Network) has allowed the league to reach unprecedented levels. So why would they want to change that.

And BTW, big Marshawn fan here. Loved him and Forsett at Cal.
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 12:03 PM   #367
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
And as I've pointed out, "standard journalism practice" doesn't necessarily produce the best end-user results. The beat writers for the Seahawks have adapted. The national guys can learn to do the same.

That's fine and dandy, but we're not talking about best end-user results. We're talking about what Lynch needs to do in his interviews.

You may not agree with it, but the NFL apparently still buys into the old journalism practices with respect to the rules it has set up for media interaction. And Lynch isn't abiding by those rules.

If you have a problem with that, I suggest you take it up with Mr. Goodell.

Old 01-20-2015, 12:22 PM   #368
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerSimpson98 View Post
The dude is getting paid millions of dollars to perform a job. Unfortunately for him, one of the requirements of that job is to talk to media members. I dont see the gray area here and letting him do whatever the F he wants sends the wrong message to other players in the league. Player and team accessibility (hello NFL Films and NFL Network) has allowed the league to reach unprecedented levels. So why would they want to change that.

And BTW, big Marshawn fan here. Loved him and Forsett at Cal.

The dude is getting paid millions of dollars (By the Seahawks NOT the NFL) to carry, catch and run a football. The NFL stipulates all players have to allow the media access to their personal space and selected playrs must visit the media room. There is no requirement of how they answer.

Nor can there me.

Lynch is an intelligent dude. At some point he is going to reverse course and go stupid detailed.

Reporter: Lynch tell us about that fourth down run.
ML: Well the snap was on 1. I stepped first with my left foot then my right. Then I took the handoff. Since the play was to the left I had right arm high left arm low position. The hand off was a tad deep. I remember feeling it hitting my stomach. Anyway I took a step with my left...no was it my right...I just cant remember which foot I stepped with. Then abotu 2 or 3 ...maybe it was actually 4 steps to the LOS. Saw a tackler. Moved my hips to the left slkightly while I gripped the ball tigthter. I was about that time I noticed the ball felt a little slippery. So I gripped just a bit tighter. Then I looked at the defender. It was about this time that I noticed that defender was about 8 stories tall and was a crustacean from the protozoc era. But I digress. Left, right, left then I noticed the grass. Have y'all ever noticed how green the grass is on these fields? I mean it is amazing. I have lawn guys at home and they cant keep my grass that green and no one plays football on my yard. Its crazy.
Old 01-20-2015, 12:30 PM   #369
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Not only does the NFL have a rule, but the players, through their elected representatives, agreed to the rule in the CBA.
Old 01-20-2015, 01:01 PM   #370
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

Lynch, the guy making millions, should be the one to adapt, not the reporter trying to get a story and just do his job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
The dude is getting paid millions of dollars (By the Seahawks NOT the NFL) to carry, catch and run a football. The NFL stipulates all players have to allow the media access to their personal space and selected playrs must visit the media room. There is no requirement of how they answer.

Nor can there me.

Well, true in a sense, but he gets paid to do those things for fans entertainment. So by Lynch acting the way he does it denies the fans, who pay his salary, acces.

I get Seattle fans love him, I lived there for 5 years, I know how they are, and that is all fine and good and I'm sure most of them ar OK with how he acts as long as he continues to perform on the field, I would too if he was one of my guys. But that doesn't change the fact he acts petty and childish and it makes him come across as a dbag who can't obey some simple rules.
Old 01-20-2015, 01:06 PM   #371
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
That's fine and dandy, but we're not talking about best end-user results. We're talking about what Lynch needs to do in his interviews.

You may not agree with it, but the NFL apparently still buys into the old journalism practices with respect to the rules it has set up for media interaction. And Lynch isn't abiding by those rules.

There's a pretty long list of issues I'd like to take up with Goodell.
Old 01-20-2015, 01:14 PM   #372
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:

Journalism is dead. Newspapers had a choice when the challenges presented by the internet manifested, and they made the wrong one.

Since they've turned media access to NFL players into a spectacle, I see nothing wrong with a player making a spectacle of himself with silly answers or non-answers.

As far as the raison d'etre of the modern media, Lynch is proving himself far more interesting than most players. So Goodell should give him a pat on the shoulder pads and stop fining him.

I'd probably tune in if that sportschick comes to Media Day in a wedding gown again and proposes to Lynch instead of Brady this time.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 01:14 PM   #373
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Well, true in a sense, but he gets paid to do those things for fans entertainment. So by Lynch acting the way he does it denies the fans, who pay his salary, acces.

I get Seattle fans love him, I lived there for 5 years, I know how they are, and that is all fine and good and I'm sure most of them ar OK with how he acts as long as he continues to perform on the field, I would too if he was one of my guys. But that doesn't change the fact he acts petty and childish and it makes him come across as a dbag who can't obey some simple rules.
He is obeying the rules - he's answering questions. But until the NFL takes their controlling rules to a new level, they can't tell him what to say.

You really think he should be forced to provide quotes that neatly fit what the reporters are looking for to paste into their story templates? Are we promoting that level of conformity and mind control vs. allowing people some freedom to express themselves (or not) in their own way?

For me, the main issue is how his refusal to play the interview game plays out in his locker room. It doesn't appear to be upsetting his teammates, so it doesn't seem like he's putting any undue burden on the rest of the guys to take up the slack. Now, if he wasn't respected in the locker room, then I'd feel differently. If his teammates didn't have his back, my response would change.
Old 01-20-2015, 01:22 PM   #374
molson
General Manager

Quote:
He is obeying the rules - he's answering questions.

He's been fined at least three times for refusing to talk to the media.

I don't think he'd add anything worthwhile if he did talk, and I don't think he's making some statement against overzealous media, but I can see why the behavior is a turn-off to some. Adults have to do things we don't like to do sometimes. Nobody likes a spoiled athlete who thinks that doesn't apply to them.

From a substance level, I'm much more annoyed when Bill Bellichick blows off questions with one word answers. Because in the rare occasion when he talks to a media guy and is in a good mood, he has some interesting things to say.

Last edited by molson : 01-20-2015 at 01:23 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 01:49 PM   #375
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
He's been fined at least three times for refusing to talk to the media.
Right. Which is when he began giving BS answers.
For years there has been an accepted standard, ($10,000 I think) fine for faling to talk to the media after a game. Lynch chose to pay the amount instead of talk. He didnt cry or complain, he didnt make a mockery and pay the fine with a Brinks truck full of pennies, he paid the fine and went on about his business. Goodell upped the anti by escalating the fines. Arbitrarily changing the customary portion of the "reasonable and customary" language in the CBA.

Lynch complied, albeit it unwillingly, and answered questions. To fine him for non-answers is a legal matter I honestly think he wants to engage.

If RG isnt ousted you an expect a work stoppage at the next CBA negotiation point.
Old 01-20-2015, 01:53 PM   #376
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

The Pro Bowl now has Andy Dalton and Matt Stafford!
Old 01-20-2015, 01:56 PM   #377
Warhammer
Pro Starter

I get more upset when the coaches act this way than when the players do. Why?

Players are the technicians, or tech guys where we work. They are where the rubber meets the road. They are good at what they do, but most (not all) are so engrossed I what they do, they seldom bring real insight to what they do/did. I can see the QB going through his progression, I can see the quick look to an outlet, they've done it a million times in practice, you know it's there.

Now a coach, they are doing the behind the scenes stuff. They can bring insight, talk about a speech, etc. As a leader of men, I might be able to pull something from one of their answers I can apply to some aspect of life. I wish that Popovich and Belicheck would be reprimanded for their pressers more than the players.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 01:58 PM   #378
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Right. Which is when he began giving BS answers.
For years there has been an accepted standard, ($10,000 I think) fine for faling to talk to the media after a game. Lynch chose to pay the amount instead of talk. He didnt cry or complain, he didnt make a mockery and pay the fine with a Brinks truck full of pennies, he paid the fine and went on about his business. Goodell upped the anti by escalating the fines. Arbitrarily changing the customary portion of the "reasonable and customary" language in the CBA.

Lynch complied, albeit it unwillingly, and answered questions. To fine him for non-answers is a legal matter I honestly think he wants to engage.

If RG isnt ousted you an expect a work stoppage at the next CBA negotiation point.

I haven't followed this until just now, but all the articles I've seen (which could be wrong) say the fines were from the rare occasions he actually refused to talk to the media and left the stadium early, and that in the vast majority of other, non-fined incidents, he just gives the minimum effort he thinks he can get away with without getting fined. Like that scene in Wet Hot American Summer when Paul Rudd has to pick up after himself in the dining hall, and he doesn't like it, so he does it in the most obnoxious, laziest manner possible. Like a child would.

Edit: Ya, here's some preview footage of Lynch at the super bowl media day this year. He complied by the letter of the rule, so great, he won't get fined. But it really wouldn't kill him to show a little professionalism. (Same with Bill Bellichick when Bill's an asshole 95% of the time...nobody's expecting him to give up his gameplan for Sunday. But a little insight would be nice, and he's perfectly willing to give it - as long as he's in a good mood and being interviewed by somebody he's already friendly with.)

Last edited by molson : 01-20-2015 at 02:21 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 02:18 PM   #379
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

We call coaches geniuses so much that they start to believe it and act like telling us what they think about football is going to give us so much insight that it will upset the balance of power.

Sean Payton is horrible about this. He acts like America's ICBM launch codes are encoded in player injury information.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 02:27 PM   #380
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
Journalism is dead. Newspapers had a choice when the challenges presented by the internet manifested, and they made the wrong one.

Since they've turned media access to NFL players into a spectacle, I see nothing wrong with a player making a spectacle of himself with silly answers or non-answers.

As far as the raison d'etre of the modern media, Lynch is proving himself far more interesting than most players. So Goodell should give him a pat on the shoulder pads and stop fining him.

I'd probably tune in if that sportschick comes to Media Day in a wedding gown again and proposes to Lynch instead of Brady this time.

No, newspapers are dead. Journalism is alive and fine.

Old 01-20-2015, 02:34 PM   #381
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I disagree with you Chief and agree with Jim. What is being passed off as journalism at news sites are a lot of poorly written articles that are shorter than most posts here, as well as only making a video. There are some really good articles and writers but I perceive they are getting scarcer.
Old 01-20-2015, 02:44 PM   #382
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
I disagree with you Chief and agree with Jim. What is being passed off as journalism at news sites are a lot of poorly written articles that are shorter than most posts here, as well as only making a video. There are some really good articles and writers but I perceive they are getting scarcer.

I agree that the standards of journalism are changing with the medium. But the essential principles of journalism remain the same and are still being used by the more reputable organizations out there.

News is still being gathered and presented for public consumption. That is essentially journalism. Bad journalism is still journalism.

Old 01-20-2015, 02:49 PM   #383
Travis
Pro Rookie

lol, last year it was Sherman's rant, this year it's Lynch's lack of quotes.

I wonder what it'll be about Seattle next year to catch the ire of FOFC after the NFC title game.

I sure hope it's something because that'd mean 3 straight trips to the big game.
Old 01-20-2015, 02:58 PM   #384
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
I agree that the standards of journalism are changing with the medium. But the essential principles of journalism remain the same and are still being used by the more reputable organizations out there.

News is still being gathered and presented for public consumption. That is essentially journalism. Bad journalism is still journalism.

Cranberry sauce. Reputable journalism is dead. Gone along with the editors who cut their teeth on the nourishment of understanding balance and not publishing until there was a story worth telling.

These days, the works of Suzanne Collins and Veronica Roth are just as relevant as anything produced by a so-called journalist.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 03:18 PM   #385
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
lol, last year it was Sherman's rant, this year it's Lynch's lack of quotes.

I wonder what it'll be about Seattle next year to catch the ire of FOFC after the NFC title game.

I sure hope it's something because that'd mean 3 straight trips to the big game.
There's going to be backlash simply because they are looking to repeat. For anyone that's not a fan of the Seahawks, that's an issue. Folks might root for a fun story for a little while, but when that fun story starts turning into a potential dynasty, then most folks turn.

I would expect that folks that aren't turned off the Seahawks by other reasons will start to get tired of them if they beat the Pats.

I felt the same way about the Pats and Tom Brady - the first time they won a Super Bowl it was a cool story. But when it became clear they were a juggernaut and won 2 more, it became "anyone but the Pats FFS" - not because I found anything particularly loathsome about them, but just because I wanted to see another team get the prize. Same thing with the Red Sox - it was awesome when they broke the curse and topped the Yankees, but then they became the Yankees and it got real old, real quick.
Old 01-20-2015, 03:21 PM   #386
Logan
Head Coach

People have thought Lynch was a dick for far longer than the Seahawks have been a contender.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 03:27 PM   #387
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I don't mind either the Seahawks or Patriots.

I've liked the Seahawks since I was a little kid. I really liked their helmets and Steve Largent.

I don't mind the Patriots because I really like Tom Brady. Also, that Burger Tyme video with Julian Edelman and Chandlers Jones makes me laugh, so I like those guys too.

I really don't care who wins. I just want to be a fun, close competitive game.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 03:43 PM   #388
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I love it when athletes are dicks to sports reporters because so many sports reporters are double-talking hucksters that would make me want to punch them in the face. Plus it is way more entertaining than the generic "110% one play at a time for each quarter of just a single game" bullshit they normally spit out.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 03:50 PM   #389
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

My favorite recent one, good job Phil.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."

Last edited by Fidatelo : 01-20-2015 at 03:51 PM.
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 04:07 PM   #390
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
I love it when athletes are dicks to sports reporters because so many sports reporters are double-talking hucksters that would make me want to punch them in the face. Plus it is way more entertaining than the generic "110% one play at a time for each quarter of just a single game" bullshit they normally spit out.

So two wrongs make a right?

Old 01-20-2015, 04:24 PM   #391
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
So two wrongs make a right?

Nope, but it does make a funny!

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 04:26 PM   #392
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

If juvenile delinquents like Lynch are part of the NFL, that'd be fine by me. The number of players in my life I've ever wished a CEI on is shockingly short. He's there.
Old 01-20-2015, 04:33 PM   #393
lungs
Pro Rookie

Usually I'd start to get sick of the Seahawks but they've done a few endearing things..... Having Richard Sherman and Marshawn Lynch on the roster and ripping the hearts out of the Green Bay Packers and their fans.
lungs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 06:01 PM   #394
Dutch
"Dutch"

I love Richard Sherman, he does badass right.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 09:12 AM   #395
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
The number of players in my life I've ever wished a CEI on is shockingly short. He's there.

Ok, Im a tard.
And Ive searched Google.
What is a CEI?
I feel there is some comey gold there.

And Dawg not withstanding, I like guys like Lynch, Bellichik and Peyton.

The game NEEDS personality. The league can strip it out at their own peril, just ask NASCAR.
Old 01-21-2015, 09:16 AM   #396
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Did he mean TBI?
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 09:17 AM   #397
Logan
Head Coach

Career ending injury, I'm guessing.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 09:24 AM   #398
Kodos
Resident Alien

Yep.
Old 01-21-2015, 09:45 AM   #399
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Can I wish a PEI (Post Ending Injury) on JIMG?
Old 01-21-2015, 10:12 AM   #400
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Career ending injury, I'm guessing.

+1 Internet point to you good sir.
Damn, I do feel like a tard.
Knowing JimGA I was trying hard to come up with something much more diabolical.

I had Cancer Everywhere Internal as my leader in the club house.