Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerSimpson98 View Post
Chad Morris to Texas Tech?

Kliff Kingsbury confirmed.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:45 PM   #352
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Kliff Kingsbury confirmed.

I think that is going to end up being a stellar hire for Tech.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:52 PM   #353
Logan
Head Coach

I agree. It should be fairly low pressure from the start which will allow him to grow into the role. Only 33, crazy.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:21 PM   #354
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Hogs Name Jim Chaney of Tennessee New Offensive Coordinator | 5NEWSOnline.com — Ft. Smith, Fayetteville, Bentonville News & Weather from KFSM and KXNW Television

I thought Chaney would be a good fit for Mizzou, FWIW. Seems like an odd-fellow connection here.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:26 PM   #355
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Keeps MBBF's streak of futility alive.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:34 PM   #356
Poli
FOFC Survivor

If it's one thing Tennessee's coach search taught me, it's never to say it's a done deal till it's a done deal.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:26 PM   #357
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poli View Post

This is a situation that has frustrated Mizzou fans quite a bit. Mizzou is known as being a coaching stop where you can stay as long as you want until you're ready to move on. With Cheney taking the Arkansas job, that likely means that Pinkel is going to hire internally (Hill or Henson) and wasn't willing to make a spot available for the other coach Cheney wanted to bring along. We'll see what happens, but I'm not optimistic this will help our offense.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:18 PM   #358
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Word is now bielema is targeting two more Wisconsin assistants to come on down to Arkansas which in turn would flip a few decent recruits down south as well. We need to name a coach sooner than later so Barry can retain current assistants if its a guy like Joe Rudolph or Mel Tucker since its possible the assistants would be retained by those coaches. I'm not sure a guy like diaco would retain those coaches but he might be able to bring a recruit or two with him if we lose a few. They're saying for sure three recruits have already stated they will likely follow the asst coach with two others on the fence.

I'm somewhat worried.. hopefully all works out in the end.

Edited to add: Co-defensive coordinator Coach Ash has gone to Arkansas, over doubling his salary in doing so...

Time for the recruiting fall out to begin.

This afternoon there was a tweet that said Al Golden was in the midst of a decision to come to Madison...then it was said he turned it down...then about a half hour ago said he was never offered.

I hate the twitter age.

Last edited by mauchow : 12-13-2012 at 04:40 PM.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:00 PM   #359
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

I know most don't really care but now out of the blue Wisconsin's official site has created a job posting:

Offensive Coordinator position...

So, Matt Canada is gone? I'm guessing NC State with Doeren as he was with him, or is that position pretty much Dana Bible's? If not, maybe some job stability in case he (Canada) wasn't retained by the next head coach.

Or is Matt Canada the next Head Coach? Probably not.

Last edited by mauchow : 12-13-2012 at 08:03 PM.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:48 PM   #360
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
I think that is going to end up being a stellar hire for Tech.

Man, I am not so sure. The dude has been an OC for an FBS school for exactly 1 season. And rumor has it that he isn't too keen on the recruiting aspect of things. Combine that with the absurdly high expectations those in Lubbock have of their football programs, and this looks like a recipe for disaster.

On the other hand from KK's perspective, how could you turn that down? Alma mater, back home, plus $2M?? Sign me up for that.
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:27 PM   #361
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

An OSU Rivals writer says that Riley is interviewing for Wisconsin now...

I think I seriously need to stop reading about the Wisconsin head coaching job. Something tells me that Barry has had his guy hired and is just sitting back and laughing and watching all of us Badger fans squirm (I know that's not the case..). I don't like being in the unknown. For the sake of recruits and the sake of future stability.

Last edited by mauchow : 12-13-2012 at 10:27 PM.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:18 AM   #362
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauboy1 View Post
An OSU Rivals writer says that Riley is interviewing for Wisconsin now...

I think I seriously need to stop reading about the Wisconsin head coaching job. Something tells me that Barry has had his guy hired and is just sitting back and laughing and watching all of us Badger fans squirm (I know that's not the case..). I don't like being in the unknown. For the sake of recruits and the sake of future stability.

I read 18 pages of a thread at BadgerNation and wanted to shoot myself afterwards. So yeah, I'm not getting too excited about all this tracking flights and that. I'll just wait for the announcement.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:27 AM   #363
Kodos
Resident Alien

Hire Bill Lynch!
Old 12-15-2012, 12:49 PM   #364
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Matt Canada to NC St to be OC there -- Doeren announced it earlier. I'm kinda torn on this. He put in a great game plan in the B1G CHampionship which didn't completely offset the horrible game planning in the first four games of the season and against OSU/PSU.

He's keeping his job safe while he can with the uncertainty of Wisconsin.

Last edited by mauchow : 12-15-2012 at 12:50 PM.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:17 PM   #365
lungs
Pro Rookie

@TomOatesWSJ
Two sources have told Wisconsin State Journal that Utah State coach Gary Anderson has emerged as top candidate for #Badgers job. Story soon.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:21 PM   #366
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

We'll see what happens. With the Hiring Laws in Wisconsin the Badgers couldn't announce a hire until at least tomorrow. It needs to be done sooner than later after the beating the WI Coaching Staff has taken over the last few days. We've lost nearly everyone at this point, which is to be expected to a degree but not a complete tear down.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:15 PM   #367
Logan
Head Coach

That would be a really interesting hire. He's done a great job at Utah State. Different offensive philosophy though, I believe...
Old 12-18-2012, 08:03 PM   #368
Kodos
Resident Alien

I hear Wayne Fontes is available.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:04 PM   #369
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Well, OK then. @footballscoop says Wisconsin's convo w/ Gary Andersen was "basic contact" and #Badgers' search have "moved on."

I think we're going to see Mel Tucker be the one in the end.

Last edited by mauchow : 12-18-2012 at 08:29 PM.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:35 PM   #370
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Tom Mulhern ‏ @ TomMulhernWSJ

# Badgers set to hire Utah State's Gary Andersen. Source confirms he's the choice.

It's looking more and more official now. Well, Gary is a good coach. He has turned the USU program around, no question about that. Apparently it's been said that this was the coach that Barry contacted within five minutes of Bielema telling BA that he is leaving.

Time to salvage our recruiting class. Bielema is already poaching a few recruits along with the coaches. LOCK EM DOWN Gary!

Last edited by mauchow : 12-18-2012 at 09:12 PM.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:37 PM   #371
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
That would be a really interesting hire. He's done a great job at Utah State. Different offensive philosophy though, I believe...

I'm reading Andersen is more of a defensive guy though?
Old 12-18-2012, 09:44 PM   #372
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
I'm reading Andersen is more of a defensive guy though?

Anderson was the architect behind the defense that shutdown Alabama in the Sugar Bowl, Kalani just implemented it as Gary left to Utah State.

USU I though just resigned Gary to a long term deal and he was all about he was staying at Utah State for a while. But then again, the big $ and the B1G should win over USU and Logan, Utah plus the MWC.

If that happens, you might see Kalani up at USU..
Old 12-18-2012, 09:59 PM   #373
lungs
Pro Rookie

One of Urban Meyer's old coordinators. Interesting. Only because of the Bielema/Meyer spat. We'll see what kind of offensive coordinator he brings in. I highly doubt Wisconsin goes to the spread.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:07 PM   #374
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauboy1 View Post
Bielema is already poaching a few recruits along with the coaches. LOCK EM DOWN Gary!

That can't possibly be true given that Bielema doesn't accept that sort of recruiting.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:29 PM   #375
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post

If that happens, you might see Kalani up at USU..

That would be the wrong color blue for Kalani!

And it looks like Anderson to the Badgers is a done deal now, Wisconsin is getting a great coach....He is an upgrade to Bielema IMO.

Last edited by BYU 14 : 12-18-2012 at 10:29 PM.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:31 PM   #376
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
One of Urban Meyer's old coordinators. Interesting. Only because of the Bielema/Meyer spat. We'll see what kind of offensive coordinator he brings in. I highly doubt Wisconsin goes to the spread.

I think Wisconsin would do well running Utah States offensive scheme, which is very power run run oriented for a spread attack. I am sure the Badgers would do well in that scheme with the linemen they get.

Last edited by BYU 14 : 12-18-2012 at 10:31 PM.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:35 AM   #377
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
I think Wisconsin would do well running Utah States offensive scheme, which is very power run run oriented for a spread attack. I am sure the Badgers would do well in that scheme with the linemen they get.

We currently don't have a QB that can run any sort of option. I guess that isn't entirely true, Bart Houston ran the veer in high school and supposedly he's been looking damn good in practice since getting healthy. He'll be a redshirt freshman next year..

I think the Badgers will for the most part keep their tradition of running a pro style offense with wrinkles thrown in, much like they did in the B1G Championship Game.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:10 AM   #378
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
Anderson was the architect behind the defense that shutdown Alabama in the Sugar Bowl

Utah's win was much more based on their offense and 'Bama not having a care about being there after missing out on the title game. It was very similar to the A&M game this year.
Old 12-19-2012, 02:35 PM   #379
timmynausea
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
Utah's win was much more based on their offense and 'Bama not having a care about being there after missing out on the title game. It was very similar to the A&M game this year.

Alabama only gained 208 yards of offense in the Sugar Bowl. I'd say that's a great defensive effort. In the A&M game, Alabama actually outgained the Aggies with 431 yards.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 03:48 PM   #380
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Florida State officially hires Sal Sunseri (thank you Tennessee for paying our coach) as Defensive Ends coach, and Jeremy Pruitt of Alabama as Defensive Coordinator.

Despite Jumbo's crappy coaching he does know how to make hires.
Old 12-20-2012, 05:10 PM   #381
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmynausea View Post
Alabama only gained 208 yards of offense in the Sugar Bowl. I'd say that's a great defensive effort. In the A&M game, Alabama actually outgained the Aggies with 431 yards.

Both games had 'Bama coming out flat and being down 21-0 early. It's tough to compare those games in a way since 'Bama had one full class by Saban when the Sugar Bowl happened and now 'Bama is merely reloading on a yearly basis. 'Bama definitely gave up in the comeback in the Sugar Bowl as Utah wouldn't let up. Against A&M, 'Bama kept coming until they were ultimately done in. The defensive effort might have been stellar, but it ranks low in what I take away from that game.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:45 PM   #382
lungs
Pro Rookie

Here is a hit piece against Bret Bielema by a Madison paper.

Basically, it says that Matt Canada couldn't do what he wanted with the offense until he stood up to Bielema before the Big 10 Championship game where they scored 70 points.

Interesting piece, and obviously Madison wants to paint Bielema as the villain wherever possible. But both coaches won't be there next year so it doesn't really amount to shit in the long run.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:23 PM   #383
MrBug708
Head Coach

Not a head coaching move, but Huslky legend Marques Tuiasosopo heads back to UW after his first year as a coach with UCLA. He was mostly a recruiting guy for us, but it is interesting that Sark is going after recruiters right now
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:28 PM   #384
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Here is a hit piece against Bret Bielema by a Madison paper.

Basically, it says that Matt Canada couldn't do what he wanted with the offense until he stood up to Bielema before the Big 10 Championship game where they scored 70 points.

Interesting piece, and obviously Madison wants to paint Bielema as the villain wherever possible. But both coaches won't be there next year so it doesn't really amount to shit in the long run.

You mean he couldn't do what he wanted and they still posted 62 on Indiana?
Old 12-29-2012, 07:48 PM   #385
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
You mean he couldn't do what he wanted and they still posted 62 on Indiana?

Is putting up 62 against Indiana really saying much?
Old 12-29-2012, 08:25 PM   #386
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Is putting up 62 against Indiana really saying much?

Not really, but you seem to sat it a lot anyhow. If I were you, I'd spend most of my time bragging about all of my team's national championships. Oh wait...
Old 12-29-2012, 08:57 PM   #387
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Not really, but you seem to sat it a lot anyhow. If I were you, I'd spend most of my time bragging about all of my team's national championships. Oh wait...

Helms Athletic Foundation 1942 National Champions. Eat that.

If I had a sweatshirt from that, I'd wear it just as loyally as my 1994 Rose Bowl sweatshirt.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:50 PM   #388
Kodos
Resident Alien

So nothing during our lifetime, eh?
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:12 AM   #389
lungs
Pro Rookie

Plenty of people in Wisconsin believe in their hearts that the Rose Bowl is the National Championship, so we do have that.

And nothing you say can diminish that 1942 Helms Athletic Foundation National Championship. Absolutely nothing.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:14 AM   #390
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Plenty of people in Wisconsin believe in their hearts that the Rose Bowl is the National Championship, so we do have that.

This is more of a Big Ten mentality, and I think part of what holds the conference back.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:36 AM   #391
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
This is more of a Big Ten mentality, and I think part of what holds the conference back.

That was tongue in cheek, mostly poking fun of old people in the state the do believe the Rose Bowl is the National Championship.

I'd say there are some other issues holding back the Big 10 lately in terms of national championship contention. I mean, the reality is that the Iowa's, Wisconsin's, and Michigan State's of the world need A LOT of stuff to go right to even be in the conversation for a national championship. When your traditional powerhouses are down, the whole conference will be down.
Old 12-30-2012, 01:18 AM   #392
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:

I think it's the chicken and the egg. The Rose Bowl is the national championship, when you are out of the national championship picture.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:53 AM   #393
Kodos
Resident Alien

The Rose Bowl is a nice achievement, but shouldn't be confused with a national championship.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:10 AM   #394
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
The Rose Bowl is a nice achievement, but shouldn't be confused with a national championship.

Agreed. The people on scout are idiots sometimes saying stuff like: "Our goal every season is to get to the Rose Bowl." Horse crap. Win the championship and then if the fall back is the Rose Bowl, then so be it.
Old 12-30-2012, 04:03 PM   #395
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Not a head coaching move, but Huslky legend Marques Tuiasosopo heads back to UW after his first year as a coach with UCLA. He was mostly a recruiting guy for us, but it is interesting that Sark is going after recruiters right now
If Tui is really only good for recruiting, that's a dumb move by Sark. Given that pressure is mounting on him to have a breakthrough season, I have my doubts that this is strictly about recruiting. Sark was his QB coach the year that he was with Oakland's staff, and he had him on his S&C staff when he was first hired at Washington, meaning Tui was working with the offensive players in "informal" summer workouts.

I'd rather Sark had hired a QB coach with a proven track record, but I'm not ready to assume that Sark is an idiot - I'd have to think that Sark must feel reasonably confident in Tui's ability to coach QB's.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 04:07 PM   #396
MrBug708
Head Coach

Well, his one year of paid coaching was coaching "inside receivers", which is fancy for TE's
Old 12-30-2012, 04:13 PM   #397
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Well, his one year of paid coaching was coaching "inside receivers", which is fancy for TE's
Yeah, not a spot he had first-hand experience with. Still, you see that a lot with assistants where they end up coaching a different position than the one they played.

A big part of the attraction for Tui to come back to the UW is that he gets to coach QB's. And of course it's his home turf.

Still, if he'd been a legend for a different school, I wonder if Husky fans would be as excited about the hire. I'm cautiously optimistic, but I do have concerns.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 04:23 PM   #398
MrBug708
Head Coach

I agree. I dont blame him for going home to his alma mater to coach the QB position, I'd probably do the same.

I do wonder what position Mora will hire for
Old 12-30-2012, 06:24 PM   #399
General Mike
Pro Starter

Gimme a new coach
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:56 AM   #400
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Well the rumor mill at BYU went off it's wheels this weekend....

3 coaches gone on the offensive side of the ball (Doman, Cahoon and Weber)...

I would be completely fine with Doman and Weber gone, Cahoon was the reason our WR's turned around and have done amazing, but the rumor is he and Bronco have been butting heads.

That would mean BYU would be bringing in a new OC, a new OL coach, a new WR coach and a new TE/RB coach (Reynolds retired after like 30 years)

The other rumor is Kyle Van Noy is coming back his senior season.