Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-28-2014, 10:14 AM   #351
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Queensryche, Geoff Tate Announce Lawsuit Settlement Terms | Billboard

Basically the original members (minus Tate) get sole rights to the name while Tate gets the exclusive right to perform Mindcrime I and Mindcrime II in their entirety as a special event (i.e. the band can still include songs in their set, they just can't do a night of those albums songs only)

Looks like a big win for the original members who are getting excellent work from Todd LaTorre without all the drama that seems to accompany Tate.
Old 04-28-2014, 10:51 AM   #352
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

That seems like a painfully easy deal for the band to make.
Old 04-28-2014, 10:55 AM   #353
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
That seems like a painfully easy deal for the band to make.

Reading between the lines of the joint statement, it sounds like Tate (and his wife who filed the original lawsuit) got bitchslapped pretty good tbh.
Old 04-28-2014, 11:03 AM   #354
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

It's also fun to see that Tate's delusions haven't abated despite the loss.

From the longer story in the Seattle paper

According to Wilton, the agreement calls for Queensryche corporate assets to be evenly divided among himself, Jackson, Rockenfield and Tate.

But Tate's version of that is "They (Wilton, Jackson and Rockenfield) bought the name from me.

Well, I guess if giving you 25% of what you already had 25% of is "bought" then, uh, okay.
Old 08-05-2014, 05:44 PM   #355
MizzouCowboy
H.S. Freshman Team

I caught Motley Crue yet again along with Alice Cooper this Sunday night at the Kansas City Sprint Center.

This was easily the best concert I have ever been to, and I've been to plenty. Motley pulled out all stops and shit was crazy. Fire blazing everywhere, smoke, explosions, lasers, lighting, just freaking amazing. Hell, Nikki even had a guitar that shot flames out 30 feet or so. Tommy Lee went out over the crowd in some crazy ass contraption like the good 'ol days. Best part he was directly over me, center stage 17 rows back. If you get a chance to see 'em it's worth every freaking bit... 2 tix were $300.

Alice Cooper! Heh, gotta admit I was very skeptical about him being 66 and looking more like 96, but damn he put on a great show and of course played all of his good old songs. Can't really put my finger on it but it was damned entertaining. Costume changes, getting his head chopped off, electrocuted and turning into some 12' tall monster, just fun as hell.

NOW for Spring Center. IF there ever was a way to put on a concert, this was definitely not it.

Doors opened at 6pm. Ok, we're in. Stand around a bit, browse the insanely priced merchandise, drink a brew or three, get ready to go in to our seats...

Which did not happen until around 8:30 pm. With little or no word of what the hell was going on. Rumors flying that the opening band didn't show up and Alice Cooper wasn't ready to play, etc. plus bullshit. By 7 pm it was already so crowded that you could not move, with hundreds if not thousands more coming in to the building. I was sure a damned riot was going to break out, it was getting very intense and totally crazy.

Word I've heard now is that the production crew showed up late and it took them until after 8 to get everything set up. Would have been nice to be informed of that. I'm guessing that the Sprint Center could not let people in to their seats due to the liability of having Tommy Lees drum roller coaster being still being set up.

All in all, it was well worth it. Even getting back home at 4am.
MizzouCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 05:47 PM   #356
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouCowboy View Post
Alice Cooper! Heh, gotta admit I was very skeptical about him being 66 and looking more like 96, but damn he put on a great show and of course played all of his good old songs. Can't really put my finger on it but it was damned entertaining. Costume changes, getting his head chopped off, electrocuted and turning into some 12' tall monster, just fun as hell.

Saw Alice open for Iron Maiden about a year ago I guess it was. Simply amazing.

My 16 y/o says that there probably aren't 5 bands in the world who Cooper wouldn't blow away as a total package performer.

He's truly a tremendous showman.
Old 08-05-2014, 06:14 PM   #357
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

I have such a hard time picturing anyone making similar comments about today's current bands 30 - 40 years from now. When my kids are my age, will they be seeing Mumford & Sons or Bastille in concert and posting rave reviews?
Old 08-05-2014, 06:18 PM   #358
MizzouCowboy
H.S. Freshman Team

That hit it on the head, a tremendous showman.

He sang every word to the songs (cough cough Vince Neil) and his voice sounded just like it did years and years ago.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:39 PM   #359
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

His use of another female guitarist (the damned good Orianthi left him recently to return to her solo career) is more than a gimmick too. She was top notch & what I know of her replacement -- although the name escapes me at the moment -- she's a fine player in her own right as well. She came from an all-female Iron Maiden cover band (called the Iron Maidens)
Old 08-05-2014, 07:44 PM   #360
Kodos
Resident Alien

Seeing Def Leppard and Kiss this weekend. Will report in.
Old 08-05-2014, 08:28 PM   #361
MizzouCowboy
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
His use of another female guitarist (the damned good Orianthi left him recently to return to her solo career) is more than a gimmick too. She was top notch & what I know of her replacement -- although the name escapes me at the moment -- she's a fine player in her own right as well. She came from an all-female Iron Maiden cover band (called the Iron Maidens)

Oh hell yes she wasn't a gimmick at all. When I first seen her I assumed she was just some wonderful eye candy for the band. But she could flat out play. one hell of a solo. And damn was she gorgeous.
Old 08-05-2014, 09:10 PM   #362
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I love this thread, brings back a lot of memories.

I remember how excited I was to have seen the opening date of the Journey/Heart/Cheap Trick tour mentioned on page 1 until I learned that you mix those three in with a dozen other bands to come up with all the possible combination of nostalgia tours since then. But I would still pay still see many such combinations, esp. Heart, and still get my fix of 80s music/videos from youtube.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 11:57 AM   #363
Kodos
Resident Alien

Went to Def Leppard/Kiss last night, although we left after Def Leppard finished because I am a marginal fan of Kiss, and my wife wasn't even familiar with "Beth". Def Leppard was solid, as always. Joe's voice seemed a little better than on their last tour that we saw - maybe he stopped smoking or something. My main complaints/suggestions are:

1. The set was kinda short - 90 minutes or so. I guess with co-headliners and city ordinances that require the show to be done by a certain time, that's what you get.

2. I wish they'd stop playing Love Bites. I know it was their only #1 song, but I could do without it.

3. If you have to go so heavy with Pyromania and Hysteria, at least drop older songs like Let It Go and Switch 625 in favor of more recent songs.

4. Poor Vivian Campbell- they didn't play a single song from their post-Adrenalize era, so nothing he had a hand in writing made the cut. I realize with a compressed timeframe, you have to just play hits, but I would love to see them play songs off of Slang or the later albums. Throw me a bone with Gift Of Flesh, Turn To Dust, Cruise Control, Nine Lives, Undefeated, Breathe A Sigh, or something along those lines. If you have to stick with Hysteria and Pyromania, at least slip in Stagefright, Comin' Under Fire or some less-played songs from those albums. Maybe even toss in one of the b-sides. Maybe do their excellent acoustic version of When Love and Hate Collide.

Still, very pleased to see they can all still play and sing well. They are scheduled to release a new album next year, and are probably going to have a residency in Vegas next year where they play Pyromania start to finish. Glad to say that they don't appear ready to pack it in anytime soon.

Last edited by Kodos : 08-11-2014 at 12:01 PM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 12:17 PM   #364
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
2. I wish they'd stop playing Love Bites. I know it was their only #1 song, but I could do without it.

Was their only mainstream #1 but there were several Rock #1's to go with it.
(You almost confused me there for a second)

Quote:
3. If you have to go so heavy with Pyromania and Hysteria, at least drop older songs like Let It Go and Switch 625 in favor of more recent songs.

Hard to drop Let It Go here I think, their first U.S. hit and all.

Quote:
I realize with a compressed timeframe, you have to just play hits, but I would love to see them play songs off of Slang or the later albums.

By & large though those two things (hits vs Slang & later) contradict themselves. Only two rock top tens in that era, neither of which I recall ever having heard (Promises #1 in 1999 and Work It Out #6 in 1996).

As you said, with the structure of the set largely dictating that they have to play hits, it's tough to get much past Adrenalize in there lest you have large numbers of unhappy ticket buyers (I purposely avoid the use of the word "fans" there).
Old 08-11-2014, 12:35 PM   #365
Kodos
Resident Alien

Yeah. I realize they have to stick with what the casual fan knows, but as a fan who knows their entire library of songs, it'd be nice to have some variety.

With Let It Go, I think most casual fans aren't familiar with that song, at least not from having the album. They probably know it from previous shows at this point. I would have preferred that they open with Stagefright over Let It Go.

Last edited by Kodos : 08-11-2014 at 12:37 PM.
Old 08-11-2014, 12:49 PM   #366
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yeah. I realize they have to stick with what the casual fan knows, but as a fan who knows their entire library of songs, it'd be nice to have some variety.

With Let It Go, I think most casual fans aren't familiar with that song, at least not from having the album. They probably know it from previous shows at this point. I would have preferred that they open with Stagefright over Let It Go.

Depends upon the age I think. I mean, I'd be fine with a set of nothing but songs from the first 3 albums, pre-Hysteria ... but I'm really not much more than a casual fan now overall most likely. The first single from Adrenalize was probably the last thing I liked from them and that's now been 22 years ago. I'm aware of the work since then, I just haven't found it interesting.

Then again, I suspect that less than 5% of those in attendance fit that description so I'm probably not relevant to the set list composition either :/
Old 08-11-2014, 01:28 PM   #367
Kodos
Resident Alien

Obviously, I'm an outlier too.
Old 08-11-2014, 07:50 PM   #368
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

I, for one, was super glad to hear Let it Go and Switch 625 when I saw them a few years back. I strongly prefer those to the later stuff (then again, I'm a huge High N Dry fan)
Old 09-01-2014, 07:15 PM   #369
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Still doing good work until the end, gone too soon.

Rest in peace.

Jimi Jamison Dead -- Survivor Lead Singer Dies at 63 | TMZ.com
Old 09-01-2014, 08:30 PM   #370
MizzouCowboy
H.S. Freshman Team

Way too young, but had one hell of a life.

Have to admit that Eye of the Tiger is my most hated song of all time. Just the sound of Duh, Duh-Duh-DUH makes my skin crawl.
Old 09-01-2014, 08:56 PM   #371
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

I played the hell out of their stuff back in the day.
Old 09-01-2014, 08:57 PM   #372
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouCowboy View Post
Way too young, but had one hell of a life.

Have to admit that Eye of the Tiger is my most hated song of all time. Just the sound of Duh, Duh-Duh-DUH makes my skin crawl.

He wasn't the lead singer for that.
Old 09-01-2014, 10:56 PM   #373
Kodos
Resident Alien

Crap. RIP, Jimi.
Old 11-05-2014, 08:31 PM   #374
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Umm ... wow? Or something?

Possession of meth also among the charges btw.

AC/DC drummer Phil Rudd charged with attempting to procure a murder in New Zealand
Old 11-05-2014, 08:55 PM   #375
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

They've replaced him before so I see little reason they can't now. Within AC/DC's signature sound, he ranks really low.
Old 11-11-2014, 09:36 PM   #376
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I'm really just mindblown at this shit ...

JIMI JAMISON Autopsy Results Published | MelodicRock.com

Stroke, with extreme meth intoxication as a contributing cause.

Dude was 63 fucking years old ... WTF?

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 11-11-2014 at 09:36 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 06:30 AM   #377
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Umm ... wow? Or something?

Possession of meth also among the charges btw.

AC/DC drummer Phil Rudd charged with attempting to procure a murder in New Zealand

Murder related charges dropped.
Old 11-12-2014, 06:49 AM   #378
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
I'm really just mindblown at this shit ...

JIMI JAMISON Autopsy Results Published | MelodicRock.com

Stroke, with extreme meth intoxication as a contributing cause.

Dude was 63 fucking years old ... WTF?

He was taking the whole survivor thing too far.
Old 12-17-2014, 11:14 PM   #379
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I just watched the movie Rock of Ages. Man, what a treat for 80s music fans. I smiled all through the movie, anticipating what song would come next. I think I'm going to keep building a collection of movies with scenes of people singing on a bus (Tiny Dancer, Sister Christian, Flintstones, etc).
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 08:27 PM   #380
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Sad news yesterday as Twisted Sister (and current Adrenaline Mob) drummer A.J. Pero died from what's been reported as an apparent heart attack. He was 55.

Rest in peace.

Twisted Sister Drummer A.J. Pero Dies At 55 - Blabbermouth.net

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 03-21-2015 at 08:27 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 11:51 AM   #381
Kodos
Resident Alien

Steven Tyler goes country.

Wow! Steven Tyler just released his first country single!
Old 10-23-2015, 08:01 AM   #382
Kodos
Resident Alien

This is pretty awesome. Put them in the Iron Maiden!

Ask Iron Maiden To Lip Synch At Your Own Risk [VIDEO]
Old 10-23-2015, 10:14 AM   #383
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:

that was terrific
Old 10-23-2015, 12:21 PM   #384
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

In a dark corner of my mind I think I'd heard about this before,but never seen it.
Tears, just ... tears.

Excellent share, thanks.
Old 10-30-2015, 12:03 PM   #385
Kodos
Resident Alien

Phil Collins unretires:

Phil Collins announces end of retirement - CNN.com

As for the other Phil Collen, Def Leppard's new self-titled album is out today.

Last edited by Kodos : 10-30-2015 at 12:04 PM.
Old 10-30-2015, 12:56 PM   #386
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:

So great.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 01:07 PM   #387
Kodos
Resident Alien

[News] Joe Elliott and Phil Collen of Def Leppard drop by Pawn Stars History! | That Mixtape Will Rock...

This was pretty cool.
Old 04-30-2016, 09:20 PM   #388
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

My review of Friday night's "Evening With Sebastian Bach" tour stop in Athens, GA

Concert Review 4/29/16 – Sebastian Bach/Santa Cruz | Jon's Three Cents
Old 05-01-2016, 06:04 AM   #389
Kodos
Resident Alien

Good review, Jon. I may need to check out Santa Cruz.

I was happy to find out nobody had died, as I always click on this thread with a little bit of apprehension now that people are dropping like flies.

Last edited by Kodos : 05-01-2016 at 06:24 AM.
Old 05-01-2016, 12:08 PM   #390
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Good review, Jon. I may need to check out Santa Cruz.

I was happy to find out nobody had died, as I always click on this thread with a little bit of apprehension now that people are dropping like flies.

Thanks. There are actually a pretty fair number of bands like them, doing the sleaze/hair thing as a serious genre choice. Nearly all are Scandanavian. It's gotten to be enough of a thing where there are now getting to be a fair number of bands that are doing it badly as well as the good-to-great ones.

That's ... progress? Maybe?

As for the review, man I started dreading writing it long before the show ended. Bach is, umm, "notoriously mercurial" might be a fair way to put it. While I'm comfortable with what I wrote, my nerves really aren't in the mood for a flame war with the guy either.

Since I don't figure he'll heed my advice anyway, I'm just as content if he bypasses the review altogether
Old 05-04-2016, 12:43 AM   #391
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Okay, NOW I gotta LOL. LMAO in fact.

I mentioned my concern about Bach getting pissy with me. I shouldn't have worried ... he was far busier with another blogger from the night before.

Sebastian Bach irate over negative review from second show of current US tour – Sleaze Roxx

Now, full disclosure I guess: I know the blogger in question a bit. Pretty cool dude at first encounter, until his pretentious nature began to wear on my nerves. So I've also had my F.O.A.D. moment with Don (aka Brainfart), I finally grew weary of a steady stream of attacks on 5FDP in particular while he hyped to the moon & back bands that sounded like cats being strangled in a washing machine.

The video included with the coverage of the social media war though, well, I'd say it speaks for itself. And for the record, Bach was nowhere near as bad in Athens the following night as what appears on that video from Atlanta.