Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-12-2017, 02:28 PM   #401
bhlloy
Coordinator

Davis just fumbled over the pylon for the Titans as well

Wonder who the first coach is to tell his players not to dive for the end zone any more? Much rather have first and goal than the chance of a fumble and turning the ball over.

And it’s still completely stupid that a fumble at the one inch line keeps possession but a fumble that hits the pylon is a touchback.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 02:30 PM   #402
cuervo72
Head Coach

Time to warm up Teddy.
Old 11-12-2017, 02:30 PM   #403
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
And it’s still completely stupid that a fumble at the one inch line keeps possession but a fumble that hits the pylon is a touchback.

Probably the most nonsensical rule in football. It makes zero sense, isn't intuitive, and the only justification is "that's the way it's always been".
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 03:07 PM   #404
bhlloy
Coordinator

So Chargers. You literally can’t make this shit up.
Old 11-12-2017, 03:57 PM   #405
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:

That was a "who could be more stupid" in the 4th quarter/OT. Taunting by the Jags player, or by the Chargers in OT.
Old 11-12-2017, 04:00 PM   #406
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

That was Burfict's first career ejection. How is that even remotely possible?
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 04:12 PM   #407
bob
College Starter

How much of the CTE issues would be solved by returning to leather helmets and the adjustments players would have to make?
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 04:22 PM   #408
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Or just the choice to take that in lieu of a kickoff.

But then you would never want to score
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 04:24 PM   #409
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrescentMoonie View Post
That was Burfict's first career ejection. How is that even remotely possible?

I dunno. But I like an NFL that ejects people
Old 11-12-2017, 04:36 PM   #410
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I may have JuJu fever
Old 11-12-2017, 04:38 PM   #411
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Jujubes need to make a comeback. The marketing is right there for them.
Old 11-12-2017, 04:48 PM   #412
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:

Bottles blew a chance at an unbreakable record by failing to throw a third interception inside the two minute warning.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 04:52 PM   #413
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
That was a "who could be more stupid" in the 4th quarter/OT. Taunting by the Jags player, or by the Chargers in OT.

The important thing is that Rivers and the Chargers found a way to blow it in the end
Old 11-12-2017, 05:27 PM   #414
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
But then you would never want to score

Well, if you score you get the 2 points AND receive the kickoff. But there could be times when you still wouldn't want to score. Strategy!

(you know, for that 1 in 1,000 chance)
Old 11-12-2017, 05:32 PM   #415
Warhammer
Pro Starter

As a Rams fan watching the 3rd quarter today, I love having a coaching staff that knows how to make second half adjustments.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 05:40 PM   #416
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

The Saints scored 47 points with 184 yards and 0 passing TD from Brees.
Old 11-12-2017, 05:51 PM   #417
Edward64
Head Coach

Falcons doing a good job taking care of business with the Cowboys.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 05:54 PM   #418
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

The Giants have totally quit. I'm normally opposed to mid-season firings, but the Giants are at rock bottom right now.
Old 11-12-2017, 05:55 PM   #419
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
As a Rams fan watching the 3rd quarter today, I love having a coaching staff that knows how to make second half adjustments.

Ditto. This game went from a concern to over in seemingly seconds with just a handful of plays.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 05:59 PM   #420
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:

Honestly, do the chargers even have a fan base anymore?

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 06:13 PM   #421
bhlloy
Coordinator

Don’t think so. It will be nice to get cheap NFL tickets for a couple of years before they move somewhere else, if they even last that long in LA to see the new stadium. You wonder if the Spanoses might not get Sterlinged and forced to sell the franchise just for stupidity.

Adrian Claiborne take a bow. Even if it was against a pair of backup linemen, six sacks is no freaking joke
Old 11-12-2017, 06:51 PM   #422
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
That's not what I read, nor what I saw. But I don't get that game so I didn't see it live, just how it was explained afterwards. And from the gif I saw, he had the ball until it hit the pylon.

The angle from the sideline he is on makes it look that way. I saw a replay from the other angle and you clearly see the ball had already come out.

I thought the same as you when I first saw it, that he had it when he hit the pylon but then the other angle showed it clearly.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 06:56 PM   #423
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:

+1

I praised McVay in the pre-season and I think he's now my favorite coach in football and probably will be for a long time.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 06:56 PM   #424
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Falcons doing a good job taking care of business with the Cowboys.

Beautiful game for the Falcons.

I do feel sorry for the Cowboy's LT who let all those sacks happen.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 07:33 PM   #425
cuervo72
Head Coach

Oh boy - the Patriots again. Let's see if I'll be doing something else by Q2.
Old 11-13-2017, 10:46 AM   #426
Arles
Grey Dog Software

I'm beginning to think Martellus Bennett is the biggest tool in the NFL. On Friday, he slams GB's medical staff for the handling of his shoulder. Here's his direct quote:
Quote:
"Dr. McKenzie didn’t make feel safe and was pushing to play which I thought was weird. Not that he was trying to get me to play thru it but the way he was saying things. I didn’t trust him. So I got 3 other opinions from doctors who all said I need to get it fixed. So I decided to do that. And they decided to waive me with some (expletive) excuse. Failure disclose."

“I had intentions of playing all 8 games as I mentioned in the post during the bye week, but found out it was worse than I felt after getting it checked out."

“Now I’m like (expletive) it."

“I chose my health over the “team”. They chose money over me.”

Then, in a story today, he goes on to say:

Quote:
"He even told his agent to advise teams that he was planning on surgery, so it would be unwise to place a waiver claim on him."

That changed when Bill Belichick was interested.

“I was like, 'no (expletive) way,' ” Bennett told reporters Sunday night.
So, basically:
1. he rails on the the GB doctors for essentially forcing him to play with a shoulder that "clearly needed surgery". He then tells the team he's having season ending surgery.
2. GB cuts him because his shoulder was completely fine before the BYE week (never on the injury report and he played 88% of the team's snaps). After seeing Hundley for one game, he says how messed up it is and how he will retire and have offseason surgery.
3. Bennett posts a tirade on instagram about how unprofessional GB was for making him play with this seriously injured shoulder and how his health was at serious risk if he played. He also says how he told his agent to tell all teams except for New England not to claim him (because he was having surgery).
4. Two days later he's playing in Denver for New England with no apparent "fear of his health".

I guess anyone with an injured shoulder should go to New England and let Belichick do the "Mr Miyagi" treatment on their shoulder and they will be good to go.

I don't know if there's anything the NFL can do here, but this was clearly some form of "injury fraud" used by Bennett to get out of GB when Rodgers got hurt and into New England. He's just a shady dude.
Old 11-13-2017, 10:58 AM   #427
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Actually, that's not the call. Among the NFL's absolutely stupid, counter-intuitive rules is the pylon rule. The pylon is considered out of bounds. So, when the guy hit the pylon with the ball and it knocked the ball loose, that meant it was a fumble out of the end zone. GB ball.

It's an absolutely terrible rule. Ridiculous. If you want to call the pylon OOB, fine - although that in and of itself is stupid - but if the pylon is OOB, then he's out of bounds the minute he touches the pylon right? So how can the ball being knocked loose by the pylon be a fumble?

PS, I hate the NFL because this is one of a long list of terrible rules that make no sense.

A ball in possession that touches the pylon is a touchdown. See Section 2, Clause (c).
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 04:50 PM   #428
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
I'm beginning to think Martellus Bennett is the biggest tool in the NFL. On Friday, he slams GB's medical staff for the handling of his shoulder. Here's his direct quote:

Then, in a story today, he goes on to say:

So, basically:
1. he rails on the the GB doctors for essentially forcing him to play with a shoulder that "clearly needed surgery". He then tells the team he's having season ending surgery.
2. GB cuts him because his shoulder was completely fine before the BYE week (never on the injury report and he played 88% of the team's snaps). After seeing Hundley for one game, he says how messed up it is and how he will retire and have offseason surgery.
3. Bennett posts a tirade on instagram about how unprofessional GB was for making him play with this seriously injured shoulder and how his health was at serious risk if he played. He also says how he told his agent to tell all teams except for New England not to claim him (because he was having surgery).
4. Two days later he's playing in Denver for New England with no apparent "fear of his health".

I guess anyone with an injured shoulder should go to New England and let Belichick do the "Mr Miyagi" treatment on their shoulder and they will be good to go.

I don't know if there's anything the NFL can do here, but this was clearly some form of "injury fraud" used by Bennett to get out of GB when Rodgers got hurt and into New England. He's just a shady dude.
It's called eating blueberries, drinking Himalayan water, and avoiding tomatoes at all costs.

Alternatively, Bennett has a shoulder injury to the labrum or rotator cuff that will need surgery eventually, decided it was better to get the surgery now and be healthy for next season/long term once Rodgers went down and the Packers Super Bowl chances looked gone, the Packers claim a Failure to Disclose (that also throws their team doctors under the bus) instead of putting him on IR to try and get $$$ back from Bennett, he's pissed off at them and gets claimed by a better team so he decides to play through the pain and elevated injury risk. He's not a saint, but he's only in New England because your team is trying to take back money from him instead of just putting him on IR.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 07:35 PM   #429
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
It's called eating blueberries, drinking Himalayan water, and avoiding tomatoes at all costs.

Alternatively, Bennett has a shoulder injury to the labrum or rotator cuff that will need surgery eventually, decided it was better to get the surgery now and be healthy for next season/long term once Rodgers went down and the Packers Super Bowl chances looked gone, the Packers claim a Failure to Disclose (that also throws their team doctors under the bus) instead of putting him on IR to try and get $$$ back from Bennett, he's pissed off at them and gets claimed by a better team so he decides to play through the pain and elevated injury risk. He's not a saint, but he's only in New England because your team is trying to take back money from him instead of just putting him on IR.

Bennett is a proven tool. Saying he's not a saint is like saying the Browns aren't good enough to play in the Super Bowl. I completely buy that he was a jackass in this situation. The glove fits.

Packers also at fault here for handling it stupidly, but I have no doubt Bennett is the turd ball here.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 11-13-2017, 08:41 PM   #430
bhlloy
Coordinator

I’m not sure what Ajayi did to piss in Gruden’s cornflakes, but it’s kinda funny hearing a running back being blamed continually for a bad influence in terms of attitude and effort for a team that signed Jay Cutler to lead their team.
Old 11-13-2017, 09:38 PM   #431
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

The Pats did the same thing after the bullshit with the Steelers and Blount.
Old 11-14-2017, 12:14 AM   #432
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Shurg, I just hope other teams are dumb enough to keep releasing competent NFL players and not claiming them on waivers so we can sign them cheap.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 12:23 AM   #433
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I’m not sure what Ajayi did to piss in Gruden’s cornflakes, but it’s kinda funny hearing a running back being blamed continually for a bad influence in terms of attitude and effort for a team that signed Jay Cutler to lead their team.

Key component here is Gruden.

Ajayi MIGHT be a dumbass and the reason for the Fins' failures on offense. That is undetermined.

But what is unassailable fact is that Jon Gruden is one of the stupidest commentators to have been ever given a microphone. That even includes local radio commentators who are hired to do local high school games in Maine or Montana.

He might still be a good coach. Jury is still out there. But having listened now to years of him blubbering out his uninformed and idiotic opinions, I can assure you he hasn't met a valid opinion yet he is capable of understanding or sharing.

Old 11-14-2017, 12:29 AM   #434
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Shurg, I just hope other teams are dumb enough to keep releasing competent NFL players and not claiming them on waivers so we can sign them cheap.

He lied his way back on the Pats. They deserve each other. Karma will pay this one back.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 10:37 AM   #435
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Alternatively, Bennett has a shoulder injury to the labrum or rotator cuff that will need surgery eventually, decided it was better to get the surgery now and be healthy for next season/long term once Rodgers went down and the Packers Super Bowl chances looked gone,
Well, he said he was going to retire at the end of the season, so being healthy for next season doesn't seem like that big of a deal.

Quote:
the Packers claim a Failure to Disclose (that also throws their team doctors under the bus) instead of putting him on IR to try and get $$$ back from Bennett
If they put him on IR, they have to continue to pay another $3 mil in base salary for him to sit injured. I think the fact that his shoulder was "fine" until the BYE week when Hundley looked like crap and Rodgers was out didn't sit well with the team. The "Failure to disclose" is just a way for them to try and get his signing bonus back. It's a bit of a long shot, but it makes more sense than just cutting him and eating the bonus money.

Quote:
, he's pissed off at them and gets claimed by a better team so he decides to play through the pain and elevated injury risk. He's not a saint, but he's only in New England because your team is trying to take back money from him instead of just putting him on IR.
Actually, NE claiming him saved the team about $3 mil in base salary that can roll over to the cap next year. The worst thing would have been if he cleared waivers and no one claimed him - the team would still owe him the guaranteed salary money.

What's shady is he basically went on a tirade saying how the Packers doctors forced him play hurt and severely risked his health. Then, he has his agent tell all teams that his shoulder is too hurt to play on and he's having surgery. Well, all teams except New England - who they tell that he can still play. So, no one puts a waiver claim on him because they think he's hurt. Finally, once he arrives in NE and a day after he claims the GB doctor's could have cost him his long term health by "making" him play - he dresses and plays for the Patriots without even the normal shoulder harness most players would wear with a severe shoulder injury.

He basically defrauded the NFL and the waiver process by saying he needed season ending surgery that he never really needed. In the end the Packers saved the $3 mil by NE claiming him and may end up getting another few mil of his signing bonus back if they can prove their case. So, it really didn't hurt them to have him pull this stunt. But Bennett was clearly disingenuous with his dealing with Green Bay and the other NFL teams not named New England during the waiver process. The reality is that had Rodgers not gotten hurt, he would still be playing in Green Bay (hurt shoulder an all). I'm sure any player on Green Bay, Chicago, Houston or Arizona could pull this same tactic because of some injury they have. But, most players respect their teammates and value their own credibility too much to pull something like this.

Last edited by Arles : 11-14-2017 at 10:43 AM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 11:34 AM   #436
Logan
Head Coach

Five Ways to Fix the Dumbest Rule in Football

Last edited by Logan : 11-15-2017 at 11:35 AM.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 12:25 PM   #437
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post

The only one I agree with is the one giving the defensive team the ball at the start of the fumble. However, to his point, starting on the 6 inch line is punitive. So why not start on the 20?

The other issue I have, we have so many rules in favor of the offense, why can't we let defenses have this one? Also, we have played pro football for almost 100 years, why is this an issue now?
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 12:31 PM   #438
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Also, we have played pro football for almost 100 years, why is this an issue now?

Just a guess on this specifically, but more replays, including auto replays of scoring plays, leads to this being spotted more often whereas in the past no one would have noticed the ball coming out of a guy's hands at the last millisecond while reaching for the pylon.

As for "letting the defense have one", that seems a little too cavalier for me especially in a situation where the defense could potentially literally do nothing and get the ball. I'm in for plenty of potential rule changes that aren't on the whole player safety side that swing things back more to the middle. Getting rid of the spot foul for defensive PI being a big one.

Last edited by Logan : 11-15-2017 at 12:35 PM.
Old 11-15-2017, 07:11 PM   #439
Thomkal
Head Coach

Elliott drops his appeal
Old 11-15-2017, 08:39 PM   #440
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Elliott drops his appeal

As an attorney, I am happy that so much money was transferred to my profession for the net result of pushing a suspension back a few weeks.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 08:33 PM   #441
cuervo72
Head Coach

What is with these camera angles in this game? Give me Tecmo, not Madden.

Last edited by cuervo72 : 11-16-2017 at 08:34 PM.
cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 09:29 PM   #442
bhlloy
Coordinator

Roethlisberger is so inaccurate with his throws this year. No surprise this Steelers offense is struggling a bit especially in the red zone.

Last edited by bhlloy : 11-16-2017 at 09:30 PM. Reason: spelling is hard
Old 11-16-2017, 09:57 PM   #443
bhlloy
Coordinator

These replays on breaking the plane are getting fucking absurd.

Last edited by bhlloy : 11-16-2017 at 09:57 PM.
Old 11-17-2017, 11:14 AM   #444
Logan
Head Coach

The NFL Is Investigating Jameis Winston For Allegedly Groping An Uber Driver In 2016
Old 11-17-2017, 12:38 PM   #445
stevew
Hall Of Famer

If it's an Uber X, that's the most Jameis Winston thing ever
Old 11-17-2017, 12:46 PM   #446
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Uber XXX
Old 11-17-2017, 12:59 PM   #447
stevew
Hall Of Famer

If you expect your Uber driver to take you thru a food drive thru(without at least handing a $5 extra), you're an asshole. Wait time is like 11cents a minute in my market.
Old 11-17-2017, 03:38 PM   #448
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
If you expect your Uber driver to take you thru a food drive thru(without at least handing a $5 extra), you're an asshole. Wait time is like 11cents a minute in my market.

That stuff pisses me off when I end up taking a group uber. Someone's not ready, someone else left their purse inside, somebody else wants to make stops.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 12:37 PM   #449
mckerney
Coordinator

Really don't get the Vikings challenging the Rams punter stepping out of bounds. Not easy to win and even if you do I think I'd rather have a drive starting at the Rams 30 than a safety.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 02:48 PM   #450
bhlloy
Coordinator

Can’t be many offenses have gone from the best in the league to absolute hot garbage like the Chiefs have done this year. Some really odd playcalling and Alex Smith apparently realized he was Alex Smith again.