Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-03-2009, 12:30 PM   #401
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
That would be big news to me. I know he put USC back on top but hadn't heard anything about a silent.

Not that Biggins is an end all be all on this stuff (especially out west), but he indicated after the visit this weekend, that Uko said USC now leads, but that it's close between UCLA and USC. Biggins predicted it would go down to the end.

I always felt Uko would end up at USC, with his dad pushing him. I only thought we might get into it after Uko had a great time on his visit with us last month. It wouldn't surprise me too much, though, if Uko actually did verbal this weekend.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 12:35 PM   #402
timmynausea
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Boyd is an interesting one. His family is from West Virginia and his uncle has posted on the WVU rivals boards forever. He never got a WVU offer, though, and his uncle said he would have taken it immediately had it received one. No explanation from anyone on why he didn't get an offer. I know he made the switch from RB to DB his junior year and ended up getting hurt and missing over half the season. Considering WVU's need for corners, it's really odd.

Spencer was also pretty good friends with Noel Devine. I remember his uncle giving us several updates about ND's recruitment as the two of them hung out fairly regularly at that point. I'm a little disappointed we didn't recruit him.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 12:44 PM   #403
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Just for the WVU guys, a third guy who has talked to Ash says he is coming to UM and is as soft a commitment as you can get. The guy also talked to two of his teammates at UM from Pahokee and both said he is open.

By no means am I trying to rub anything in here because with recruitment who really knows?

Just wanted to give you guys the rundown as UM fans hear it.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 12:53 PM   #404
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Uko?

Nope, but USC is supposedly in the lead for him as well. I agree with you that he will be a battle until the end.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 07:18 AM   #405
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

More good news on the recruiting front for Mizzou.

4 star QB Tyler Gabbert was in town over the weekend and was sporting Mizzou hat/shirt at the basketball game while talking with Mizzou football coaches. More fuel to the fire that he'll be switching his commitment to Mizzou.

Also, 4 star WR Curtis Carter has officially decommitted from Nebraska and will be taking an official visit to Mizzou. He's also considering TCU. He didn't mince words in this article about what he thought of Nebraska's offense.

Curtis Carter slams Nebraska offense and QB play

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 12-08-2009 at 07:20 AM.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 08:44 AM   #406
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Holy hell. Huskerland is in meltdown mode this morning. Word has trickled out that Tyler Gabbert has decommitted officially and has given a commitment to Mizzou. In addition, two more 4 star players who verbally commited to Nebraska will likely be following Gabbert to Mizzou.

They got hit with a blizzard and their recruiting class is crumbling due to another Gabbert defection all in the span of 24 hours. Rough day to be in Nebraska.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:08 AM   #407
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Oops

Hamilton statement expected on Times story» GoVolsXtra

Tennessee athletic director Mike Hamilton will release a statement later today on a New York Times report that UT is under NCAA investigation for possible recruiting violations, said Tiffany Carpenter, Tennessee athletic department public relations director.

According to a New York Times report, UT is under scrutiny for the use of members of the Orange Pride group, hostesses who have proved invaluable as the school has strengthened its football recruiting under coach Lane Kiffin. The Vols had previously caught the NCAA’s eye after self-reporting six secondary violations since Kiffin was hired last December.

The Times story cites examples of hostesses traveling to high school games featuring UT recruits and holding up signs encouraging the players to sign with the program, which would be a violation of NCAA rules because Orange Pride members are representatives of the university.

Hamilton confirmed the investigation to the Times, but he didn’t elaborate on what it included.

“Typically, we do not comment on inquires that are in progress,” he told the Times on Tuesday night.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:14 AM   #408
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Tennessee is behind the times. The 'hostesses' at most schools do far more than hold up signs.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:20 AM   #409
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Tennessee is behind the times. The 'hostesses' at most schools do far more than hold up signs.

Yeah but that stuff is usually a little more, discreet, shall we say. Kind of hard to maintain plausible deniability if they're holding up freakin signs in the middle of a crowd at somebody's high school. What goes on in the back seat/at the hotel/wherever at least has a shot at being denied.

I won't argue that CLK got more out of this team than I believed was possible but at the same time stuff like this doesn't surprise me even an tiny bit.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:09 PM   #410
MrBug708
Head Coach

Anthony Barr is saying that he isn't deadset on playing RB. I think a lot will depend on who they hired at ND, in where he goes. But I think it would a mild surprise if he ends up anywhere but at UCLA
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 08:44 PM   #411
MrBug708
Head Coach

There are also rumors that Manti Te'o wants to transfer to USC
Old 12-09-2009, 08:47 PM   #412
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
There are also rumors that Manti Te'o wants to transfer to USC

Yep, those rumors started even before the coaching changes. I think the coaching changes may actually help ND's chances of keeping him, but there is still a decent chance that he transfers. I think this proves the rumors that were out there that he really wanted USC all along and it was his father who pushed him to ND.
Old 12-10-2009, 05:21 AM   #413
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Holy hell. Huskerland is in meltdown mode this morning. Word has trickled out that Tyler Gabbert has decommitted officially and has given a commitment to Mizzou. In addition, two more 4 star players who verbally commited to Nebraska will likely be following Gabbert to Mizzou.

They got hit with a blizzard and their recruiting class is crumbling due to another Gabbert defection all in the span of 24 hours. Rough day to be in Nebraska.
How many spots do we have left? I thought we were keeping spots for Sasser, Lucas, and maybe Easterly or Arndt. Do we really have spots for Gabbert, Carter, and any others?
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 07:48 AM   #414
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

The challenge is they drove from Knoxville TN, to Spartanburg, SC and held up signs. Since they are paid to be hostessess you now have an employee of the university traveilng and oublically recruiting.

And yeah, hostessess have special recruiting skills.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 07:52 AM   #415
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade6119 View Post
How many spots do we have left? I thought we were keeping spots for Sasser, Lucas, and maybe Easterly or Arndt. Do we really have spots for Gabbert, Carter, and any others?

I don't believe that Easterly and Arndt are guaranteed at this point. Either way, we have three available spots for sure and all three will likely go to the Nebraska defectors. Gabbert will likely commit after this weekend's visit.
Old 12-10-2009, 12:06 PM   #416
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Yep, those rumors started even before the coaching changes. I think the coaching changes may actually help ND's chances of keeping him, but there is still a decent chance that he transfers.
Do the rumors on your end have him taking a 1-year mission during the transfer year or going straight there and sitting out the year?
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 12:10 PM   #417
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Do the rumors on your end have him taking a 1-year mission during the transfer year or going straight there and sitting out the year?

Well, unless he kept his nose clean at ND he won't be able to serve his mission...it was part of the reason BYU and he parted ways...he attended a party while he was in Provo and got caught along with several other players and recruits.

The rumor Mill was flying off the charts as he chose ND...and still is...as those in the know aren't talking to a lot of sources.
Old 12-10-2009, 12:47 PM   #418
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I've heard rumors with both options.
Old 12-10-2009, 04:58 PM   #419
MJ4H
Coordinator

Arkansas has been VERY quiet in recruiting this year, but it is starting to heat up right now, including several players that are currently "committed" elsewhere. Petrino plays things much closer to the vest than the last regime did, and based on the previous two classes, it is obvious he closes VERY strongly. Look for a little noise out of Fayetteville in the next week or so.

Incidentally, even though our current group of commits won't rank very highly, it is extremely needs-based (recruiting defense and size with specific skills) and is actually dead-on perfect for what we need. The last 10 spots will happen with a roar, too, so the ranking thing may happen, too. Based on what I'm starting to hear, I'm getting pretty excited. Good stuff ahead.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 07:22 PM   #420
MrBug708
Head Coach

Malcolm Jones was named the Gatorade Football POTY, which is mildly surprising
Old 12-10-2009, 07:27 PM   #421
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Rumors on Te'o to USC are really heating up today. I wouldn't be surprised if there was an announcement soon.

Also, in a mild surprise, Stafon Johnson announced he is going pro rather than apply for a medical redshirt year.
Old 12-11-2009, 11:47 AM   #422
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Rumors on Te'o to USC are really heating up today. I wouldn't be surprised if there was an announcement soon.

Also, in a mild surprise, Stafon Johnson announced he is going pro rather than apply for a medical redshirt year.

EF - I have read elsewhere Shaq Evans might be going to USC also. Any truth to that?
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 12:00 PM   #423
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
EF - I have read elsewhere Shaq Evans might be going to USC also. Any truth to that?

I've heard he and one or two of his friends such as Cierre Woods want to get out of ND and head back west, but I'd be surprised if he ended up at USC.
Old 12-11-2009, 12:18 PM   #424
bhlloy
Coordinator

I don't think ND is going to let any kid go to SC if they have a say in the matter. Manti can essentially become a "free agent" if he plays the mission card but I don't see any way that anybody else ends up at SC.

I would welcome him with open arms though, especially if Damian Williams jumps to the NFL.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 12:29 PM   #425
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Interesting. If ND restricts their players from transferring to USC (understandable, since they are a rival) and if Teo doesn't go on his mission, the next choice for Teo (originally) was UCLA. I don't recall UCLA being in it much for Shaq Evans, so not sure where he would end up. And Cierre Woods chose Notre Dame over UCLA, but now that UCLA has so many backs (they already reportedly turned done the possibility of CU back Darrell Scott coming), I wouldn't think they would take Woods either.

They would certainly take Teo if they had a choice, although my guess is he'll go on his mission and then go to USC (or simply re-open his recruitment in a year).

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 12-11-2009, 12:48 PM   #426
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Actually, someone on one of my UCLA sites pointed out the Robby Toma thing. Given that, my guess is Teo wouldn't come to UCLA, because no matter what the truth of what happened is, Teo will believe Toma. If Toma harbors any resentment (publically he says UCLA did right by him, contrary to rumors), then Teo will probably share that as well.

In any case, I think Teo either goes on his mission and then comes back to Notre Dame, stays at Notre Dame (no mission), or goes on his mission and then goes to USC.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 12-11-2009 at 12:49 PM.
Old 12-11-2009, 12:55 PM   #427
bhlloy
Coordinator

I would have thought if ND restricts USC, they will restrict UCLA for the same reasons, even if UCLA isn't as huge of a rival they still play you guys every year and UCLA is on the rise.
Old 12-11-2009, 01:27 PM   #428
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
In any case, I think Teo either goes on his mission and then comes back to Notre Dame, stays at Notre Dame (no mission), or goes on his mission and then goes to USC.

Right now...the rumors in the family circle is that he is going on his mission if that is the case he becomes a free agent 18 months into it (Leaving 6 months left on his mission). At that point in time, I see him going to USC.

He has cleaned up his act from what has been stated to my contacts.
Old 12-11-2009, 01:49 PM   #429
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
I would have thought if ND restricts USC, they will restrict UCLA for the same reasons, even if UCLA isn't as huge of a rival they still play you guys every year and UCLA is on the rise.

I dont think Notre Dame has much issue with UCLA and since there is a coaching change, administration would be a little bit more lenient to accepting transfers.

While Te'o at UCLA would be wonderful, I think we have a better chance of seeing Pete Carroll bolting for the NFL then this happening.
Old 12-11-2009, 01:55 PM   #430
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
I dont think Notre Dame has much issue with UCLA and since there is a coaching change, administration would be a little bit more lenient to accepting transfers.

While Te'o at UCLA would be wonderful, I think we have a better chance of seeing Pete Carroll bolting for the NFL then this happening.

BTWW...Chow is putting a big time press on some of our polynesian DL that are returning from their missions. He has appointments set up and is doing his best to get them to switch over....I think we might lose 1 of them.
Old 12-11-2009, 01:57 PM   #431
MrBug708
Head Coach

Which guys?
Old 12-11-2009, 02:04 PM   #432
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
BTWW...Chow is putting a big time press on some of our polynesian DL that are returning from their missions. He has appointments set up and is doing his best to get them to switch over....I think we might lose 1 of them.

It'll be interesting to see if Chow is still at UCLA next year.
Old 12-11-2009, 02:08 PM   #433
MrBug708
Head Coach

Is he retiring?
Old 12-11-2009, 02:12 PM   #434
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It'll be interesting to see if Chow is still at UCLA next year.

Next year, as in the 2010 season? Chow's been getting hit with a lot of rumors of leaving (San Jose State, the NFL) but he has insisted himself and sources inside the program back this up as well, that he's perfectly fine where he is, and has no interest in leaving at this time.

Nothing set in stone, of course, until after the "coach change season" wraps up through January, but that's what's out there.

And, regardless, I am sure it will be repeatedly re-visited every season.

Old 12-11-2009, 02:15 PM   #435
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Which guys?

Eathyn Manumaleuna was the one I have heard that gets home this month for it...I don't remember the other players name.
Old 12-11-2009, 02:24 PM   #436
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
Eathyn Manumaleuna was the one I have heard that gets home this month for it...I don't remember the other players name.

He is still supposed to be pretty solid according to some sources that claim to know his relatives. I think it would be a mistake as good as BYU's last two recruiting classes have been, plus the fact that he will be line to start next year, but who knows.
BYU 14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 02:26 PM   #437
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Next year, as in the 2010 season?
And, regardless, I am sure it will be repeatedly re-visited every season.

Yes, I wouldn't be surprised to see Chow leave UCLA this offseason. His reputation is taking a hit there with the offensive difficulties, and it would make sense for him to leave if a better opportunity came along (which the San Jose HC job does not qualify as.)
Old 12-11-2009, 02:28 PM   #438
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Yes, I wouldn't be surprised to see Chow leave UCLA this offseason. His reputation is taking a hit there with the offensive difficulties, and it would make sense for him to leave if a better opportunity came along (which the San Jose HC job does not qualify as.)

Chow wont make more money anywhere else as an OC (I dont blame Chow for leaving for a HC spot), but unless the rumors of Rick and Chow dont like each other are true, I dont see him leaving.
Old 12-11-2009, 02:28 PM   #439
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
He is still supposed to be pretty solid according to some sources that claim to know his relatives. I think it would be a mistake as good as BYU's last two recruiting classes have been, plus the fact that he will be line to start next year, but who knows.

Yeah...from all accounts my friends have said he is solid but they did tell me about Te'o today...so I am more apt to think he has cleaned up his act. and in 2 years we might get a shot...LOL...

Fingers crossed this upcoming class sticks!
Old 12-11-2009, 02:30 PM   #440
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I would always think it's best for any player to stay where they are unless it's a bad situation for them (and I haven't heard anything bad out BYU).

That said, if the mission thing allows them to transfer and play right away and they aren't assured of starting in September, a DL would have to consider looking at UCLA. The Bruins are going to be very thin up front, with Price almost certainly going pro, and losing another SR starter besides at DT. A guy can literally transfer and go start if he has any ability, and being older will mean he's much more ready to compete as a starter than the freshman DTs UCLA's currently targetting.

Old 12-11-2009, 02:35 PM   #441
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Plus, on top of what Bug said, given the possible rep hits he has taken, he wouldn't want to leave now, not with a QB who already has 9 starts who is just a RS Soph, and a bunch of freshmen and soph talent all throughout the offense. It's pretty likely the offense takes a very strong step forward next year (it will probably be the stronger unit on the team for the first time since 2005).

Old 12-11-2009, 02:36 PM   #442
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
I would always think it's best for any player to stay where they are unless it's a bad situation for them (and I haven't heard anything bad out BYU).

That said, if the mission thing allows them to transfer and play right away and they aren't assured of starting in September, a DL would have to consider looking at UCLA. The Bruins are going to be very thin up front, with Price almost certainly going pro, and losing another SR starter besides at DT. A guy can literally transfer and go start if he has any ability, and being older will mean he's much more ready to compete as a starter than the freshman DTs UCLA's currently targetting.

Thats what is so baffling, we lose our entire starting D-Line and he played a lot (quite well) before his mission so he is practically pencilled in. The wildcard though is some see starting for a mid-level Pac 10 team better than starting for a top tier MWC team, which is understandable.

Macro, it would be great to get Teo if he has his shit together, but I think he may have burned that bridge, wven if he is interested.
Old 12-11-2009, 03:00 PM   #443
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Given Chow's age, I think he'd consider taking a low-prestige HC job if he really has a strong desire to be a HC. Not too many places that are willing to make a 63 year old man a first-time HC.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 03:28 PM   #444
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
Given Chow's age, I think he'd consider taking a low-prestige HC job if he really has a strong desire to be a HC. Not too many places that are willing to make a 63 year old man a first-time HC.

Exactly. I can understand the desire to want a HC job, the window gets smaller every year. The NFL wouldnt be so bad, I think he needs two more years to qualify for their retirement program. But another college job? I don't think that is likely. UCLA backloaded his contract so they could pay him more these years.
Old 12-11-2009, 03:57 PM   #445
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Exactly. I can understand the desire to want a HC job, the window gets smaller every year. The NFL wouldnt be so bad, I think he needs two more years to qualify for their retirement program. But another college job? I don't think that is likely. UCLA backloaded his contract so they could pay him more these years.
Yeah, unless he and Neuheisel really aren't getting along, I would guess Chow sticks around UCLA unless he opts for a head coaching deal or jumping back to the NFL to qualify for a pension.
Old 12-11-2009, 06:14 PM   #446
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
Yeah, unless he and Neuheisel really aren't getting along, I would guess Chow sticks around UCLA unless he opts for a head coaching deal or jumping back to the NFL to qualify for a pension.

Chow is not known for his people skills, he was bypassed for the BYU job after Lavell retired because of concerns he would not do well with the "face" part of the job. I think he is just one of those career coordinator types, which has provided a nice living for him, without the HC BS.
Old 12-11-2009, 07:06 PM   #447
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Chow is not known for his people skills, he was bypassed for the BYU job after Lavell retired because of concerns he would not do well with the "face" part of the job. I think he is just one of those career coordinator types, which has provided a nice living for him, without the HC BS.
Yep, I've heard that before. That said, if a school offers him a HC position, I'd guess he'd think long and hard about it. I've heard that he wanted to be a HC, though who knows if that's still the case.
Old 12-12-2009, 12:23 AM   #448
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Denying a transfer to USC would not be because they are a rival but because they are on our schedule the next couple years. It's the standard practice. Places on the web have conflicting reports, but as far as I know UCLA is not on our schedule in the near future (USC is every year and BYU is as well for the next 4 years according to at least one site.)

Either way I hope Te'o (and Evans/Wood) stay, but we'll see what kind of shake out occurs now that Kelly was named head coach. Final exams are Dec 14-18th and grades come out between then and Christmas, so I doubt any plans would be finalized this coming week.

Last edited by BishopMVP : 12-12-2009 at 12:29 AM.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 12:53 AM   #449
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Denying a transfer to USC would not be because they are a rival but because they are on our schedule the next couple years. It's the standard practice. Places on the web have conflicting reports, but as far as I know UCLA is not on our schedule in the near future (USC is every year and BYU is as well for the next 4 years according to at least one site.)

That was exactly my point Obviously there would be a little more motivation to deny a transfer to your biggest rival but typically you never allow a transfer to a team in your conference. For ND it's a little different obviously but the concept is the same.

I just thought that UCLA played ND every year and it was set in stone for some reason.

I don't know really how the process works but I know Jamere Holland forced a transfer from SC to Oregon by appealing to the school president (maybe the AD instead?) and basically threatening further action if he wasn't allowed to go wherever he wanted. I wonder if this would stick in court if a player did decide to go that route.
Old 12-12-2009, 02:00 AM   #450
Blade6119
Coordinator

Arizona State picked up 3 O-Line recruits this past week, two of them JUCOs, along with a D-line recruit and a verbal from an interesting little CB. Tidy little week, with some more prospects deciding this weekend we are hoping for.
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote