Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-10-2011, 08:31 AM   #401
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by SegRat View Post
IMO buying the game on release day just means your a beta tester. They just want the game working by the start of college football season. Doesn't madden come out like a week before the start of the season, then by the time they release a patch to fix most of the bugs, you over over a month into the NFL season. I Feel it's a win win with NCAA.

And with this, we have seen a new low in what sports gamers expect in a game release. If any non-sports game was released in the state we've seen some of these EA football games at release, they'd get a 50 on Metacritic. But since it's released early, it's a win-win because we get to beta test it for a month? I guess it would be too much to ask EA to test it PROPERLY for another month rather than release it early?

The problem is that another month of EA testing may actually break more existing features given what we've seen thus far.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 11:28 AM   #402
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
And with this, we have seen a new low in what sports gamers expect in a game release. If any non-sports game was released in the state we've seen some of these EA football games at release, they'd get a 50 on Metacritic. But since it's released early, it's a win-win because we get to beta test it for a month? I guess it would be too much to ask EA to test it PROPERLY for another month rather than release it early?

The problem is that another month of EA testing may actually break more existing features given what we've seen thus far.

Thank you for your concern. You've already well established that you refuse to buy any EA games, and refuse to admit that anyone might find them fun to play. Each year's thread is sure to have you railbirding about this or that making the release yet another new low in the gaming universe. Outside of the player editing bug that has caused online dynasties using real players to be delayed (which was a last minute addition, and very well could have been caught with an extra month of play testing), the game is very solid and fun to play. I know that some others have complained about portions of the game play, but I myself (as well as many others here) would rate the game far above a 50.

There are numerous examples of games that were much worse off than this year's NCAA at launch.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 11:41 AM   #403
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Finally got around to opening this. Played a quick exhibition and felt like I was playing 11. Honestly, I don't even notice the difference with tackling. I still need to play a bunch of exhibition games and get a feel for what skill level and slider settings will work best for me.

I did start a dynasty, though, to see how the coaching carousel works, and it's pretty cool. I usually sim through 4 years before I start playing anyway, so I set myself up as the OC for Western Michigan, simmed 2 years, and looked at my options. One thing that kinda sucks is if your current position comes up for a decision on whether you want to re-sign or not, you have to commit one way or the other before you see what other offers are out there. I decided to gamble, decline a 3-year deal with WMU as OC, and as I went through offers, I got nervous enough that I took Arkansas State's OC job because I was never sure if I'd get another offer.

Spent 1 year there, and did well enough to get the Oregon State OC job. Had a nice year there and finally got a decent HC job with Colorado State. So as soon as I get better at playing the games and figuring out the sliders and such, I'm going to start playing my dynasty for real in year 5 as a HC after 4 years as OC at 3 different schools.

When you are an OC, are you only playing offense for your team? Is the game any different than being a head coach?
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 11:46 AM   #404
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I only simmed through the OC years but yes, I believe you only control your half of the team during games. Now, you're still responsible for recruiting and such, which doesn't make much sense, but as far as in-game, I believe the OC only control the offense and the defense is simmed.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 11:53 AM   #405
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Thank you for your concern. You've already well established that you refuse to buy any EA games, and refuse to admit that anyone might find them fun to play. Each year's thread is sure to have you railbirding about this or that making the release yet another new low in the gaming universe. Outside of the player editing bug that has caused online dynasties using real players to be delayed (which was a last minute addition, and very well could have been caught with an extra month of play testing), the game is very solid and fun to play. I know that some others have complained about portions of the game play, but I myself (as well as many others here) would rate the game far above a 50.

There are numerous examples of games that were much worse off than this year's NCAA at launch.

And you obviously haven't been paying attention because what you've stated isn't even correct. I bought Tiger Woods 12, NHL 11, and FIFA 11 all at launch. I purchase games that are actually GOOD games made by EA Sports. The football games have gone down a brutal path of mismanagement and rush deadlines that have lead to a game that is worse than the same game 2-3 years ago.

Anyone who defends this debacle looks pretty silly at this point.
Old 08-10-2011, 12:20 PM   #406
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Anyone who defends this debacle looks pretty silly at this point.

Again, thank you for your concern.

Front Page Football Pro '99 - debacle
Maximum Football - debacle
NCAA Football '12 - not a debacle

Yes it is frustrating that you can't create a player that is anything but default playing style until the patch, but that does not rise anywhere near the level of a debacle. But you are always free to have your opinion, and your track record on your opinions and predictions at this board speaks for itself.
Old 08-10-2011, 12:24 PM   #407
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
The football games have gone down a brutal path of mismanagement and rush deadlines that have lead to a game that is worse than the same game 2-3 years ago.

The game 2-3 years ago was definitely not better. There has been a lot of improvement.
Old 08-10-2011, 12:28 PM   #408
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
The game 2-3 years ago was definitely not better. There has been a lot of improvement.

When you break things that worked in previous years, that's not an improvement. But the new socks with stripes look nice.
Old 08-10-2011, 12:32 PM   #409
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Front Page Football Pro '99 - debacle
Maximum Football - debacle
NCAA Football '12 - not a debacle

"NCAA Football '12 - We're better than Maximum Football or FPFP '99!"

A ringing endorsement to be sure.
Old 08-10-2011, 01:25 PM   #410
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
"NCAA Football '12 - We're better than Maximum Football or FPFP '99!"

A ringing endorsement to be sure.

Yep, those were debacles, this isn't. Thanks again for your concern.
Old 08-10-2011, 01:30 PM   #411
lungs
Pro Rookie

Still tweaking the sliders for my own uses, but I'd hardly call this game a debacle. Perfect? No. I haven't played NCAA in a few years but I remember several years back turning WR catching sliders up to 100 and still having dozens of dropped passes per game.

This isn't a masterpiece, but it's not trash.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 09:28 PM   #412
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Agreeing with the "not debacle" side. The running game (inside) is very strong. Outside could use a lot of work, RB's can't hit open space quickly enough. The passing game feels good as well, QB's aren't throwing 4-5 picks a game like they used to. My stats are looking pretty darn good after each game. I think it is FAR BETTER than last year, I've already played more games than in 11 and they will make some tweaks with patches to improve on it more.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 09:41 PM   #413
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
When you are an OC, are you only playing offense for your team? Is the game any different than being a head coach?

I started off as the DC of Tulane and only controlled the defense. I was in control of recruiting, but I just left all of the AI options on so after I targeted some players I wanted and worked them up, I just let the AI take over.

The only main issue I have with the game is that when I'm controlling the DE, sometimes when the ball is snapped, my starts off running in the wrong direction. Very annoying so I switched to controlling the SS (which is who I usually control on defense).

Last edited by sabotai : 08-10-2011 at 09:42 PM.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 11:53 PM   #414
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

It looks like the custom conference scheduling bug will be addressed in the patch. That's a good thing, now you will be able to change conferences at will and have the correct scheduling.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 12:03 PM   #415
Kodos
Resident Alien

Looks like NCAA 2012 was the top seller last month. MBBF will be disappointed, no doubt.

July U.S. Retail Video Game Sales Lowest Since 2006 | PCWorld
Old 08-15-2011, 12:04 PM   #416
Ksyrup

"Highest grossing debacle of all-time!"
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 08-15-2011, 12:14 PM   #417
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Has this thing been patched yet?
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 12:46 PM   #418
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubb93 View Post
Has this thing been patched yet?

Not yet.. I would expect that to happen right before Madden drops.

Last edited by MizzouRah : 08-15-2011 at 12:46 PM.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 01:43 PM   #419
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Looks like NCAA 2012 was the top seller last month. MBBF will be disappointed, no doubt.

July U.S. Retail Video Game Sales Lowest Since 2006 | PCWorld

Not sure why I'd be disappointed. People can spend their money wherever they like. The reason they release it in July is because there's not many AAA releases that month. Whoever told you that the game wouldn't be the top seller in July was an idiot and doesn't know the grand scheme of things in the video game world. Give EA Sports credit for knowing marketing and release schedules. That's the main reason they make money despite a widely varying quality on their games.
Old 08-15-2011, 03:08 PM   #420
Kodos
Resident Alien

Can you use Teambuilder teams for online exhibition games? My nephew is thinking about getting the game, and wants to play as Towson (he's starting there next week).
Old 08-22-2011, 09:38 PM   #421
bhlloy
Coordinator

I'm hoping somebody has a good set of sliders for AA, because right now after 3 games I absolutely hate this game with a passion. Super jumpy linebackers are back. Defenders jumping routes and making picks while your receivers make absolutely no play on the ball and just continue running their merry route seems to have taken a big step back from the improvement they made last year. Running with the ball feels like your back has roller skates on. Trying to tackle somebody feels like trying to perform brain surgery.

Usually I start out having fun and tweak the sliders to make it more realistic but this year, it feels horrible from the get go. Halp please.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 10:40 PM   #422
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
I'm hoping somebody has a good set of sliders for AA, because right now after 3 games I absolutely hate this game with a passion. Super jumpy linebackers are back. Defenders jumping routes and making picks while your receivers make absolutely no play on the ball and just continue running their merry route seems to have taken a big step back from the improvement they made last year. Running with the ball feels like your back has roller skates on. Trying to tackle somebody feels like trying to perform brain surgery.

Usually I start out having fun and tweak the sliders to make it more realistic but this year, it feels horrible from the get go. Halp please.

Give these a shot, have been working out well for me.

Sliders
AA - 9 minute Quarters
Game speed - Slow
Speed Threshold - 20

Slider - Hum / CPU
QB acc - 35 / 35
Pass blk - 70 / 70
WR cat - 65 / 65
RB skill - 60 / 65
Run Blk - 60 / 55
Coverage - 25 / 15
Pass rush - 90 / 75
Int - 20 / 10
Run Def - 50 / 50
Tackling - 40 / 40
FG Pow - 45 / 50
FG acc - 35 / 35
Punt Pow - 50 / 50
Punt acc - 40 / 55
KP - 45 / 50

For penalties offsides, false start and holding to 60, Off/Def pass interference as well as KR interference to 100 and the rest at default.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 04:52 AM   #423
Philliesfan980
Banned

Any idea why it's taking so long for a patch to be released? What is it, over a month now? Inexcusable.
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 05:00 AM   #424
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

I don't think there is any reason you should drop anyone into to coverage in this game. If the pass is going to get broken up it is going to be by a LB in zone coverage around the LOS. Even if the throw is 20 yards downfield.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 05:19 AM   #425
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Quote:

Check out Jistic's on OS, I like his a lot.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 05:30 AM   #426
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliesfan980 View Post
Any idea why it's taking so long for a patch to be released? What is it, over a month now? Inexcusable.

I'm convinced its either:

1) they don't want to release it at the same time as a demo or another game is coming out. I was thinking this week but the demo for NHL comes out today and Madden is released on Friday to the EA Pass people. They know we are a football starved country.

OR

2) they thought it was done and it only screwed things up worse.

OR

3) they have no clue how to fix their own damn game.

All I hope is they fix enough of the issues so I don't have to buy another NCAA game from them for a while. I admit I'm a college football fanatic so for me to say I'll never play again would be a lie.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:13 AM   #427
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubb93 View Post
I don't think there is any reason you should drop anyone into to coverage in this game. If the pass is going to get broken up it is going to be by a LB in zone coverage around the LOS. Even if the throw is 20 yards downfield.

Which is sad/pathetic because this was much, much better last year. I'm gonna give BYU's sliders a shot and then maybe if I don't see a big improvement maybe I'll work on editing the jumping of all the linebackers in the conference I play in down and see what that does?

But it's really a bummer to see (from my limited experience) that this is back. It's not a damn football game if you can't throw 15-20 yard routes over the middle unless all the linebackers happen to be blitzing or have fallen asleep.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:23 AM   #428
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:

But it's really a bummer to see (from my limited experience) that this is back. It's not a damn football game if you can't throw 15-20 yard routes over the middle unless all the linebackers happen to be blitzing or have fallen asleep.

Now they'll be able to sell it next year with "improved LB pass defense logic!"

I've had it since launch and its sat on the self for pretty much the entire time.

Last edited by BillJasper : 08-23-2011 at 09:24 AM.
BillJasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 10:03 AM   #429
Ksyrup

The LB thing is annoying, I agree, but in combination with the fact that most TE crossing patterns are money, it's somewhat bearable. Same thing as last year - my TE was always my #1 receiver. In fact, I made a bad-ass TE one of my top recruiting priorities. So I can't complain much when one of those passes is knocked down every so often by a guy who has no business touching the ball.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 08-23-2011 at 10:03 AM.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:18 AM   #430
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
The LB thing is annoying, I agree, but in combination with the fact that most TE crossing patterns are money, it's somewhat bearable. Same thing as last year - my TE was always my #1 receiver. In fact, I made a bad-ass TE one of my top recruiting priorities. So I can't complain much when one of those passes is knocked down every so often by a guy who has no business touching the ball.

Well that's another annoyance of mine (that you can easily have 2000 yard receiving seasons by an average TE by just throwing the cross or out every single play, mixed in with the occasional fade route where the LB just let's him go for 30 yards) but at least these issues have been around in Madden and NCAA for years
Old 08-25-2011, 10:40 PM   #431
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
Give these a shot, have been working out well for me.

Sliders
AA - 9 minute Quarters
Game speed - Slow
Speed Threshold - 20

Slider - Hum / CPU
QB acc - 35 / 35
Pass blk - 70 / 70
WR cat - 65 / 65
RB skill - 60 / 65
Run Blk - 60 / 55
Coverage - 25 / 15
Pass rush - 90 / 75
Int - 20 / 10
Run Def - 50 / 50
Tackling - 40 / 40
FG Pow - 45 / 50
FG acc - 35 / 35
Punt Pow - 50 / 50
Punt acc - 40 / 55
KP - 45 / 50

For penalties offsides, false start and holding to 60, Off/Def pass interference as well as KR interference to 100 and the rest at default.

Just had a game where we had 15 penalties. Almost all of them holds. CPU had 3 penalties. May have to turn that slider down. Also, running was waaaaaaay too easy. Even my backups were tearing up Syracuse's D.

Cornell did beat Syracuse in quadruple OT, no thanks to the refs. 59-57. Yowsa.

Last edited by Kodos : 08-25-2011 at 10:45 PM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 11:24 PM   #432
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Just had a game where we had 15 penalties. Almost all of them holds. CPU had 3 penalties. May have to turn that slider down. Also, running was waaaaaaay too easy.

Turn down the "hold blocks" in your gameplan?
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 06:42 AM   #433
Kodos
Resident Alien

They're on whatever the default setting is. Haven't touched those.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:25 AM   #434
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Just had a game where we had 15 penalties. Almost all of them holds. CPU had 3 penalties. May have to turn that slider down. Also, running was waaaaaaay too easy. Even my backups were tearing up Syracuse's D.

Cornell did beat Syracuse in quadruple OT, no thanks to the refs. 59-57. Yowsa.

Wow, never had more than 3 holding calls

you need to fire your line coach
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 12:48 PM   #435
Kodos
Resident Alien

Just experienced the lovely win game, online servers aren't available, back out, game sims it into a loss. Thanks, EA.
Old 08-27-2011, 02:01 PM   #436
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Any word on the patch yet? Game is still sitting on the shelf till then.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 08:57 AM   #437
Ksyrup

Finally got a chance to play a few games and I'm not impressed. Granted I think some of it had to do with the sliders I was using (the problem with most slider sets is they are intended for playing with A rosters, not the crap I usually start with, so a 0 for human QB passing or WR catching means 30% completions on a great day), but I really don't like the look or feel of the game this year. The new tackling does nothing for me and the players look like they are floating/skating. I knew I should have stuck with 11 since I was happy with it. What can I expect to get in trade for this game?
Old 08-30-2011, 04:59 PM   #438
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Good news...I guess

Twitter

Quote:
#NCAAFootball12 Title Update #2 Update: We have made it through internal certification and now we're waiting on approval from Sony/Microsoft

Last edited by johnnyshaka : 08-30-2011 at 05:00 PM.
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 04:15 PM   #439
whomario
Pro Starter

Patch is up !

whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 04:22 PM   #440
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

not for me 360 here incase anyone was wondering.
Old 09-08-2011, 04:24 PM   #441
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

reading on OS it is in fact live for PS3. not for xbox
Old 09-08-2011, 04:25 PM   #442
whomario
Pro Starter

yeah, just checked on OS and aparently it´s only PS3 for now (which i´m on, so i´m not going to complain too much ) and if i recall correctly it isn´t uncommon for one or the other to come out a little later.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 04:25 PM   #443
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
Patch is up !

So soon?!

Old 09-08-2011, 04:42 PM   #444
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I get people complaining that the patch has taken so long to come out. What I don't get is why people are surprised that the patch has taken so long to come out. Isn't this kind of wait normal?
Old 09-08-2011, 04:46 PM   #445
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
Patch is up !

Any word yet on what the patch broke?
Old 09-08-2011, 04:50 PM   #446
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

lol.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:03 PM   #447
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Let's see if there's bugs after this patch...
Old 09-08-2011, 11:11 PM   #448
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Seeing a lot of positive feedback for gameplay but ...

Early reports are the OD transfer fail issue is not fixed
no huddle is now messed up
and custom playbooks are "broken"
Old 09-08-2011, 11:37 PM   #449
Groundhog
Coordinator

Should be fixed by NCAA 13.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:01 AM   #450
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balldog View Post
Seeing a lot of positive feedback for gameplay but ...

Early reports are the OD transfer fail issue is not fixed
no huddle is now messed up
and custom playbooks are "broken"

The OD thing appears to be a server issue, not a bug fix. Of course, the bad thing for you guys is they tweeted it was fixed several days ago...