Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-24-2011, 06:31 PM   #401
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
meh

Why would Favre come back to be a backup?

Expensive divorce?
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 08:42 PM   #402
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
meh

Why would Favre come back to be a backup?

Some hotties on the Eagles staff who haven't seen his penis yet?
Old 07-24-2011, 09:30 PM   #403
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
Prior to any of this, I knew who Chris Kluwe was. Still had to look up who Nate Jackson is/played for. Just sayin.

Close enough for a +1
Old 07-25-2011, 07:32 AM   #404
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Did y'all see the thing about the Vick tweet?

He tweeted that he would happy be to have Farve as his back up. He erased it a few hours later.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 07-25-2011 at 07:32 AM.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 08:15 AM   #405
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

Has anyone heard what the cap will be at this year?

I know in 2009 it was high 120s
Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 08:24 AM   #406
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Per John Clayton, around $120M

NFL -- Salary cap scramble will be interesting - ESPN
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 08:58 AM   #407
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I would laugh MY ASS OFF if TerrellPryor is declared ineligible for the NFL supplemental draft. Apparently it is for players whose circumstances have changed since the regular draft, not guys who simply decided to quit school. He already had the 5 game suspension well before the April draft. The only thing that has changed is his coach quit. I can't imagine that is enough of a change to allow him into the supplemental draft. Otherwise, a lot of guys could bypass the regular draft much more easily than the NFL intended.

Damn, would that be awesome. Play in the UFL or CFL, or risk not playing ball from December 2010 until August 2012.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 09:08 AM   #408
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post

Damn, would that be awesome. Play in the UFL or CFL, or risk not playing ball from December 2010 until August 2012.

Just as a tangent, the UFL has suspended operations - they say they're coming back in mid-September (the season was supposed to start mid-august), but if they couldn't even get on the field when it was possible they were the only pro football going on - it sure seems like they're done.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:25 AM   #409
Kodos
Resident Alien

That would be awesome if Pryor got completely hosed.
Old 07-25-2011, 04:48 PM   #410
William051071
n00b

Location: In a building made of bricks, concrete, and wood. That's not important though.
I hear this league called the "NFL", I think that's what it's called, starts play in a
few weeks.

Did the USFL change its name or something?
William051071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 06:14 PM   #411
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Ravens have notified Kelly Gregg, Willis McGahee, Todd Heap and Derrick Mason of their release.

Clearin' that space for Ngata and Yanda extensions.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 06:19 PM   #412
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I sure won't miss Heap kicking the hell out of the Bengals twice a year.
Old 07-25-2011, 06:29 PM   #413
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

10 am tomorrow will be the NHL trade deadline on steroids.

Steelers are in pretty deep if Ike Taylor takes a big $ deal elsewhere.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 07:23 PM   #414
Radii
Head Coach

Kris Jenkins totally unplugged - NFL Nation Blog - ESPN
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 11:24 PM   #415
stevew
Hall Of Famer

At least I find solace in the fact that Can't Newton is getting a shitty 4year/22m rookie contract.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 11:34 PM   #416
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
At least I find solace in the fact that Can't Newton is getting a shitty 4year/22m rookie contract.

Sam Bradford must feel like a gangsta right now - the last guy to that that money.
Old 07-26-2011, 07:52 AM   #417
Swaggs
Coordinator

RB Noel Devine signed as an undrafted free agent with Atlanta.

Could be a good fit for both player and team.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 08:11 AM   #418
Ksyrup

Explains why Andrew Luck really didn't see much of a reason to come out early - he was going to get less money either way. Born a year too late, I guess.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 07-26-2011 at 08:12 AM.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:20 AM   #419
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post

Certainly makes the pick much less of a risk for the Panthers. He'll get his money if he proves he deserves it.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:27 AM   #420
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Let me just say this going to be a crazy week. With the NFL FA and the baseball trade deadline coming, rumors and lies and insanity will be flying everywhere. Fun stuff.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 09:19 AM   #421
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Explains why Andrew Luck really didn't see much of a reason to come out early - he was going to get less money either way. Born a year too late, I guess.

Doesn't explain why Jake Locker stayed.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 09:56 AM   #422
Ksyrup

He enjoyed being BMOC? He got bad advice? I don't know. I was just referring to the guy everyone was shocked was staying. Money-wise, barring injury, he wasn't going to make any more this year than next.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:40 AM   #423
Logan
Head Coach

There's also the possibility that Locker may have wanted to improve the flaws in his game.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 11:35 AM   #424
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Jake stayed because he loved being at UW and wasn't motivated by money. He is from a small town about 90 minutes north of Seattle, grew up a UW fan, and wanted to finish what he started. Bottom line is he loved being at UW.

He also had baseball money to fall back on, he wasn't even on scholarship at UW, and likely had a large insurance policy.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 11:38 AM   #425
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Nick Barnett has tweeted that he will be let go (in lesser words) - reports are that the Packers will try and trade him, otherwise he will be released (on another note, I never understand why teams say that - it's like in FOF, if I know a guy is going to be released, why would I spend what is likely to be more in a trade than just wait to try and get him in FA?)

Anyway - not a terribly surprising move, since it will save them upwards of $6 mil, and guys like Hawk and Bishop really stepped up after he got hurt last year, but he was a pretty big force in that LB corp for 8 years. Sad to see him go.
PackerFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 11:47 AM   #426
Ksyrup

Because then the player has no choice - you are guaranteed to have him if you trade for him, so there is value there even if you know he's about to be released.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 07-26-2011 at 11:47 AM.
Old 07-26-2011, 03:54 PM   #427
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
RB Noel Devine signed as an undrafted free agent with Atlanta.

Could be a good fit for both player and team.

Schefter tweet:

Contrary to reports, West Virginia RB Noel Devine has not signed with Atlanta. Devine still is a free agent looking for work.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:15 PM   #428
Radii
Head Coach

Matt Hasselbeck leaving Seattle Seahawks; Tarvaris Jackson, Matt Leinart agree, sources say - ESPN

Quote:
The Seattle Seahawks agreed to deals with Tarvaris Jackson and Matt Leinart following the news that free-agent quarterback Matt Hasselbeck will not return to Seattle this season, multiple sources told ESPN.

Does that mean Ponder starts from day 1?/ What else does Minnesota have?

Also, sorry Seahawks fans.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 06:21 PM   #429
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Panthers allegedly paying big to keep DE Johnson. 6/76 with a 30m bonus. I gather this goes a long way towards the Panthers reaching the salary floor.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:34 PM   #430
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
Matt Hasselbeck leaving Seattle Seahawks; Tarvaris Jackson, Matt Leinart agree, sources say - ESPN

Hasselbeck could go there. Minn. has to do something since it's not like they had much in terms of depth before this happened. Unless somebody flips a switch in terms of on field ability, Seattle is screwed in terms of QB. They have at best 3 mid level QBs.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:37 PM   #431
RainMaker
General Manager

The Bears are supposedly interested in Jason Babin. Anyone have any info on the guy? I know he had a huge year last year, but seemed like a bust before.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 06:38 PM   #432
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Mcnabb to the Vikings?
Old 07-26-2011, 06:39 PM   #433
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
The Bears are supposedly interested in Jason Babin. Anyone have any info on the guy? I know he had a huge year last year, but seemed like a bust before.

Bill Barnwell on Grantland.com, with help from Football Outsiders:

Quote:
FIVE OVERRATED PLAYERS

Jason Babin, DE

Babin put up 12.5 sacks with the Titans last year after accruing just 17.5 sacks through his first five pro seasons. At 31, chances are that he just had a fluke season, and he wants prospective bidders to give him a multiyear contract. Only the truly desperate can justify making such a move. His closest historical comparables are players like Mike Hartenstine and Rod Martin. Both Hartenstine and Martin dropped off to seven sacks in the season after their career year, and they didn't reach beyond five sacks in a season after that.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 07:26 PM   #434
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post

Ugh was hoping Leinart wouldn't go to Seattle. Makes sense given the connection to the head coach. The boneheaded moves my beloved Cards made at QB last season could really come back to haunt them if Leinart gets the starting job and then beats the Cards, especially if they don't go after Kolb.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 08:07 PM   #435
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

If Dallas doesn't re-sign Free, Jerry the GM should be smacked. Other than that, they've been alright cutting deadwood from the team (Roy Williams, Leonard Davis, Marion Barber (sadly)).
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 08:33 PM   #436
Izulde
Head Coach

I know I ask this every year, but is there a link of UDRFA signings somewhere? Curious to see if anybody from UNLV (hah!) signed anywhere.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 08:37 PM   #437
Aylmar
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerFanatic View Post
Nick Barnett has tweeted that he will be let go (in lesser words) - reports are that the Packers will try and trade him, otherwise he will be released (on another note, I never understand why teams say that - it's like in FOF, if I know a guy is going to be released, why would I spend what is likely to be more in a trade than just wait to try and get him in FA?)

Anyway - not a terribly surprising move, since it will save them upwards of $6 mil, and guys like Hawk and Bishop really stepped up after he got hurt last year, but he was a pretty big force in that LB corp for 8 years. Sad to see him go.

Also when a player goes through waivers, the claiming order for teams is based on record and/or draft position. If a team with a low chance of claiming him on waivers because of their position really wants him, they can trade for him instead of rolling the dice.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:40 PM   #438
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Bill Barnwell on Grantland.com, with help from Football Outsiders:

Ah, a textbook Bears FA.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 09:03 PM   #439
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
I know I ask this every year, but is there a link of UDRFA signings somewhere? Curious to see if anybody from UNLV (hah!) signed anywhere.

I would like to know this as well. I know from USC Kris O'Dowd (who could easily be the best center in the whole damn draft class if his knees hold up) caught on with the Cardinals which seems to be a great fit, and Mike Morgan ended up with Pete Carroll and the Seahawks, but I'd like to see a full list.

There are a couple of teams with transactions up on NFL.com - one that jumps out is John Clay to the Steelers. That's a great pickup for their style of play.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 09:05 PM   #440
bhlloy
Coordinator

DOLA - Takeo Spikes to the Chargers, one of my favorite players a few years back but I don't know how much he has left.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:31 PM   #441
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
= John Clay to the Steelers. That's a great pickup for their style of play.

That was another one I was very interested in checking on. Great to see Johnny continuing the Park High tradition of terrific tailbacks. Hopefully he sticks around longer than Brent did.

Old 07-26-2011, 09:39 PM   #442
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Nice to see Herzlich get signed early - although unfortunately he's on the Giants with Eli Manning, which makes it difficult to root for his team. But here's wishing him every success - maybe he'll even end up on a team I can actually root for him on.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:01 PM   #443
bhlloy
Coordinator

Also Devine ends up with the Eagles, probably the one team in the league other than the Bears he won't be the automatic #1 choice for returner. That is a scary quick backfield right there.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:56 PM   #444
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Also Devine ends up with the Eagles, probably the one team in the league other than the Bears he won't be the automatic #1 choice for returner. That is a scary quick backfield right there.

Returns have never been a strength of his. His size says he needs to make it as a 3rd down back and return guy but receiving and returns were probably his biggest weaknesses at WVU.

There's no player I'm pulling for more than Noel though.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 11:05 PM   #445
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Returns have never been a strength of his. His size says he needs to make it as a 3rd down back and return guy but receiving and returns were probably his biggest weaknesses at WVU.

There's no player I'm pulling for more than Noel though.

Ditto this.

I'd love to see this kid make some noise and get a decent payday down the road. He's had a tough road and I'd really like to see him "make it."

Interesting rooting dynamic for WVU fans following the Eagles. Two of the more recent favorites are on the roster in Owen Schmitt and now Devine, but they are backfield mates with major rivals from the past with VPI's Vick and Pitt's LeSean McCoy.
Old 07-27-2011, 12:05 AM   #446
mckerney
Coordinator

Don't like the Vikings looking to trade for McNabb. They could be pretty brutal if they don't fix their offensive line next year, if that's the case may as well roll with Ponder as the starter and take a chance at being able to land Andrew Luck.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 12:22 AM   #447
Izulde
Head Coach

I'd love to see the Dolphins get McNabb. We're going to be pretty bad anyway, so might as well have one of my favorite non-Dolphins of all time playing in Miami.

Old 07-27-2011, 01:41 AM   #448
Swaggs
Coordinator

Ike Taylor resigns for 4-years with the Steelers.
Old 07-27-2011, 01:44 AM   #449
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Matt Hasselbeck would be a good signing for the Browns.
Old 07-27-2011, 01:54 AM   #450
StLee
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post

This site has been updating signings: 2011 NFL Undrafted Free Agents | NEPatriotsDraft.com - Patriots NFL Draft Site

As for UNLV players:
Falcons - Matt Murphy (OL, UNLV)

Softball in Korea 1 and 2: http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...softball+korea + http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...ad.php?t=83736
StLee is offline   Reply With Quote