Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-24-2012, 06:57 AM   #401
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 02:24 PM   #402
Izulde
Head Coach

NBC can suck a big, fat hairy fucking cock. Community isn't coming back until fucking February.

Bunch of damned fucking assfarmers.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 02:34 PM   #403
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
NBC can suck a big, fat hairy fucking cock. Community isn't coming back until fucking February.

Bunch of damned fucking assfarmers.

word
Old 11-21-2012, 08:39 PM   #404
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

About time.

The Associated Press: Chevy Chase is leaving NBC's sitcom 'Community'
Old 11-21-2012, 09:31 PM   #405
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

*sigh*
Old 11-21-2012, 10:15 PM   #406
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Oh, this show is still on?
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:36 PM   #407
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

not really.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:58 PM   #408
DanGarion
Coordinator

Joel did an Ask me anything on Reddit today.

Joel McHale's AMA : IAmA

October 19th is TONIGHT!

Last edited by DanGarion : 02-07-2013 at 04:58 PM.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:59 PM   #409
DanGarion
Coordinator

Mmmmm Annie's boobs.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:20 AM   #410
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Definitely had feeling that something was 'off'. Though the inception like Abed TV was pretty amusing. The Hunger Deans could have been just so much more (as could Troy and Britta at the fountain - in previous seasons that would have lasted throughout the ep and gotten progressively funnier).
Old 02-08-2013, 12:37 AM   #411
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

That was off in some weird way. Annie in particular.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:37 AM   #412
Radii
Head Coach

I thought a lot of their meta jokes were horribly overdone to the point of not being funny and just feeling annoyingly distracting. Fred Willard playing Pierce in Abed's head, ok, but those kinds of things are usually very subtly done, maybe a troy one liner calls attention to it. Going full out laugh track sitcom just felt like... too much. Dealing with the Dean's attraction for Jeff in such an overt, over the top way ruins the joke, I had a severely negative reaction to a bit that is usually one of my favorites on the show. Having the Dean buy a condo to move in next to Jeff felt stalkery, it felt presented wrong. Abed's monologue at the end about accepting the future didn't feel like anything the lovable Asperger's Abed we've come to love over the last 3 years would ever say. It felt horribly off.

Community is always hit or miss. It misses a fair bit but when it hits its amazing. Maybe this was just a miss, and maybe (hopefully) its not a sign that this just can't be done without Dan Harmon's insane genius.

I did really like Britta "britta'ing" making wishes, and Troy unable to let go of doing things the way he and Abed do them, and Abed's inability to accept the new rule about making wishes with the "hmm, we'll talk about it" line. That all felt genuine and very solid.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:18 AM   #413
rowech
Pro Starter

Not like the show is going past these 13 episodes anyway. Just enjoy them.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:10 AM   #414
Izulde
Head Coach

I laughed a few times (The Don't ask, don't tell follow-up to the gay balls thing in particular made me laugh.)

But yeah, overall, much of it felt forced rather than being genuinely funny. And I think the lack of sharpness was apparent from the very beginning when the hipster joke went on for far too long.

The Fred Willard bit was actually far more distracting than it was funny for me and everything in general just felt, as others said, very much off. And a little flat, too, to be honest.

Old 02-08-2013, 08:08 AM   #415
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

I enjoyed it - but did feel something was 'off' ... although I do put this down somewhat to me being over-analytic because I knew writers had changed etc.

(overall 'good' - but not 'classic')
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:17 AM   #416
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Actually I think the Fred Willard bit was the best thing in the show. Very Harmon-like Community to reference what was going on in rumors outside the show and just not acknowledging it.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:51 AM   #417
Butter
Coordinator

I couldn't tell if I was being hypercritical, or if it was worse. Because I thought it was markedly worse.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:11 PM   #418
chinaski
College Prospect

Im a huge fan of the show, but I thought the premier sucked. Parodying something that is not funny, is just not funny. Abed TV blows. I dont have much hope for this season, losing Dino and Harmon is just too much.
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:15 PM   #419
Radii
Head Coach

I'm glad to hear some Community die hards liked it, makes me feel more like it was just an episode which missed for me, which definitely happens with this show.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:22 PM   #420
Ryan S
Quarterback

It was nowhere near their best, but I will wait before making any judgement on the direction of the series. The Harmon era had a few episodes that did not hit the mark.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:27 PM   #421
Ryan S
Quarterback

It looks like the premiere got better viewing figures than last season's premiere, against tougher competition.

That might bode well for renewal, especially considering the rest of NBC's comedy schedule, though the fact that the series probably will have enough episodes to sell into syndication by the end of the season may work against it.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:51 PM   #422
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan S View Post
It was nowhere near their best, but I will wait before making any judgement on the direction of the series. The Harmon era had a few episodes that did not hit the mark.

Well that's definitely true. The thing that will be missed was Harmon's almost encyclopedic and manic knowledge of specific pop culture items and integrating them into the show subtly. Though Harmon's manic-ness also likely caused plenty of issues.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:15 PM   #423
Comey
College Starter

I haven't watched it yet. I'm afraid to. At some point I will break down and watch it, because I love the show and miss it. But right now...I'm afraid.

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:54 PM   #424
chadritt
High School Varsity

Christina Applegate just quit "Up All Night", thats one less show for NBC.
chadritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:23 PM   #425
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadritt View Post
Christina Applegate just quit "Up All Night", thats one less show for NBC.

Since they were trying to turn it into a multicam, I don't blame her.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:46 PM   #426
chinaski
College Prospect

Never understood the correlation between quality and the number of cameras for a show.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:49 PM   #427
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaski View Post
Never understood the correlation between quality and the number of cameras for a show.

Honestly, I only watch one multicam nowadays, Big Bang Theory. Every other comedy I watch is a singlecam.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:52 PM   #428
chinaski
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
Honestly, I only watch one multicam nowadays, Big Bang Theory. Every other comedy I watch is a singlecam.

Now that I think about it, I dont think I watch any multicams. How I met your mother might be one..

edit: Yeah it is, not sure why I had to think about that one. I watch Two Broke Girls as well, but its not that great and I mainly watch it because I have a friend who writes for the show.

Multicams really do tend to suck more than most. I cant really imagine Up all Night in this format. Shifting from a Modern Family feel to a stage comedy is a huge change for that show.

Last edited by chinaski : 02-08-2013 at 05:56 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:06 PM   #429
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaski View Post
Now that I think about it, I dont think I watch any multicams. How I met your mother might be one..

edit: Yeah it is, not sure why I had to think about that one. I watch Two Broke Girls as well, but its not that great and I mainly watch it because I have a friend who writes for the show.

Multicams really do tend to suck more than most. I cant really imagine Up all Night in this format. Shifting from a Modern Family feel to a stage comedy is a huge change for that show.

Exactly!

I forgot about HIMYM.

I have a friend that is a writer and she hated writing multicam because you are always writing for the punchline.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:49 PM   #430
kcchief19
Pro Starter

In the future, if you ever have a Community marathon on DVD or Hulu, the dropoff from the end of Season 3 to the steaming pile of crap from last night will be jaw-dropping.

I wasn't nearly as gloom-and-doom as some about the new showrunners and writers. I thought they said the right things, even if their track record was uninspiring. I felt like the spirit of the show and the chemistry of the cast would shine through.

Instead, it's like someone flipped a switch and completely erased everyone's personalities. There was no sublety, the whole show just hit you over the head. It wasn't Connors-winning-the-lottery bad, but it's got potential.

Glad this season is only 13 episodes and done. I would hate to see this show drag on in its present form. The only remote prayer is that Sony/Viacom decide they want more episodes for their syndication deal and decide to bring back Harmon and do a fifth season for Comedy Central for a Futurama/Cougartown style miracle. Other than Chase who is leaving anyway, I can't imagine the cast is that expensive to keep together -- no one is a breakout star from this show with a lot of other work.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:55 PM   #431
chadritt
High School Varsity

You should stop watching if youre that angry and dont think things will smooth out, Harmons never coming back. Personally I just think they tried to do too much to assure everyone things hadnt changed but since the main writers are the same things will be fine.

I could see Donald Glover leaving though, he has options and has even mentioned the possibility in his music.

Last edited by chadritt : 02-08-2013 at 07:56 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:42 PM   #432
kcchief19
Pro Starter

I'm not angry, other than wasting 30 minutes of my life on something that used to be quality material. That's just an honest critic. YMMV.

Not sure what you mean about the main writers are the same. In addition to Harmon, three of the main writers and the main directors also got forced out. Andy Bobrow was credited with last night's episode, and he's had a few other credits, including at least two excellent episodes. None of the other holdovers have significant episodes under their belts, unless you include last year's holiday episode, which was universally assailed by the fan base except for Annie jumping up and down in a Santa costume.

I hope last night was just the pit and it's onward and upward. Nobody has been a bigger fan than me. I just wish that if I'm going to invest my time in a show, I'd like to think the people behind the show put some effort into it and didn't just phone it in like last night's show.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:47 PM   #433
Comey
College Starter

A longtime friend of mine, who works on the Community set, said that the scripts for this season are about 95% as good as the old ones, and there are some real funny ones coming up. I value his comedic opinion, and trust his judgment.

On a side note, he is sending me a few scripts from seasons past. One was Chevy Chase's. Another belonged to Ken Jeong. I believe another was Donald Glover's. Can't wait.

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:55 PM   #434
chadritt
High School Varsity

Megan Ganz came back for the season, shes been there from the beginning and was a HUGE influence on the show. Shed also likely come back if there was another season even though that might be tricky for her.

Last edited by chadritt : 02-08-2013 at 08:56 PM.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:42 AM   #435
Butter
Coordinator

Last night went WAY over the top with "feel good" moments between the characters, and lost the funny in there somewhere. Even Troy's usually cute attachment to Abed felt off. Not sure if that is a function of the performance or the script.

Either way, I'll seriously have to consider cutting this off after this season, if this show even makes it another year.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:44 AM   #436
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
Last night went WAY over the top with "feel good" moments between the characters, and lost the funny in there somewhere. Even Troy's usually cute attachment to Abed felt off. Not sure if that is a function of the performance or the script.

Either way, I'll seriously have to consider cutting this off after this season, if this show even makes it another year.

Let's stop sugar-coating it...this show sucks now. Bad.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:02 AM   #437
Izulde
Head Coach

Yeah, the joy seems to have gone out of the series. It's not as sharp as it used to be, and I think the only reason we're still watching is because we've become invested in these characters and stories by this point.

Old 02-22-2013, 01:21 PM   #438
Ryan S
Quarterback

I don't think this season has been as bad as some are saying, and Community has had slow starts to most of their seasons. The first three episodes of season 3 were not much better than this season. I thought that the first episode this season was markedly worse than the following two episodes.

The 4th episode last year was one of the best ever, so lets hope we have another "Remedial Chaos Theory" soon.

I think that they ran the Inspector Spacetime story into the ground a long time ago, and I really hope that this is the last we hear of it.

I suspect the future of community depends on just how bad the rest of the NBC schedule is this spring, and if Sony is prepared to give it away to NBC to get more episodes for syndication. Anything NBC puts in the Thursday 8pm slot is going to be hammered by TBBT and American Idol for the foreseeable future.
Old 04-27-2013, 03:31 AM   #439
Izulde
Head Coach

I have to say, this Freaky Friday style episode was the first real home run of the season. I saw afterwards that Jim Rash wrote it, which makes me want to say he should get his shot at writing more of them.

Old 04-27-2013, 05:04 AM   #440
Ryan S
Quarterback

I think that the season has improved, and the last few episodes have been much better than the early episodes. This gives me hope that a season 5 could be better right from the start.

At the moment, unbelievably, it looks like Community could get a 5th season thanks to the lousy ratings of almost every other sitcom on NBC.
Old 04-27-2013, 05:43 AM   #441
rowech
Pro Starter

Just becuause a show is creative doesn't mean it is funny. I have barely laughed this season.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:51 AM   #442
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
I have to say, this Freaky Friday style episode was the first real home run of the season. I saw afterwards that Jim Rash wrote it, which makes me want to say he should get his shot at writing more of them.

Agreed. This was the first time this season we both laughed a lot. However, the self-referencing humor won't carry very far, so I'm not all that hopeful of an up trend in good writing.
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW
OldGiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 07:13 PM   #443
Ryan S
Quarterback

Sounds like Dan Harmon is back for season 5.

Creator-Exec Producer Dan Harmon Tweets He's Coming Back To 'Community' - Deadline.com
Old 06-01-2013, 07:20 PM   #444
mckerney
Coordinator

Season 4 can just be a bad dream!
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 09:40 PM   #445
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Given the meltdown a year ago between Harmon and NBC, I still find it odd that he's getting to come back. It's actually a smart decision, which is why I'm surprised NBC is doing it.

I have to think that the real reason Community is coming back is just to boost the syndication value. They needed a few more episodes to fill out the package. Guess NBC figured if they have to go ahead and make 13 episodes, most as well spend a couple of million and make them good.
Old 06-02-2013, 06:10 AM   #446
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post
Given the meltdown a year ago between Harmon and NBC, I still find it odd that he's getting to come back. It's actually a smart decision, which is why I'm surprised NBC is doing it.

It won't be an NBC decision, it is a Sony decision.

Alan Sepinwall discusses this in his latest column, and suggests that it could be future DVD sales and streaming that might have influenced the decision.

Can Dan Harmons return save Community?
Old 06-02-2013, 09:23 PM   #447
kcchief19
Pro Starter

It's a joint production between Sony and Universal, so NBCU has a stake in the show as well. My understanding when Harmon got chased off last year was that NBC want the show to be less esoteric and Harmon wouldn't listen to the network.

I largely agree with the speculation the renewal and bringing back Harmon has a lot of reasons other than filling a hole in the NBC schedule. NBC may be leaving Hulu for their own or a different streaming service, and Community may be the best performing streaming show they have. If the fifth season is strong, it may make secondary syndication deals more valuable too.

Edit: Just read that a few weeks ago Hulu agreed to give the networks 90% of in-season ad revenue, so that's a definite plus for Community given its streaming success.

Last edited by kcchief19 : 06-02-2013 at 09:28 PM.
Old 06-21-2013, 11:43 AM   #448
kcchief19
Pro Starter

http://www.avclub.com/articles/dan-h...-for-co,99117/

On season four: “There's something awesome about having all of those preconceived notions ripped away from you. It's exciting. There's something exciting about being held down and watching your family get raped on a beach. It's liberating. It makes you focus on what's important."
Old 06-21-2013, 04:14 PM   #449
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post
http://www.avclub.com/articles/dan-h...-for-co,99117/

On season four: “There's something awesome about having all of those preconceived notions ripped away from you. It's exciting. There's something exciting about being held down and watching your family get raped on a beach. It's liberating. It makes you focus on what's important."

The apology posted a few days later...

Dan Harmon Poops, It Won't Happen Again Again

Last edited by Ryan S : 06-21-2013 at 04:14 PM.
Old 06-21-2013, 04:17 PM   #450
chadritt
High School Varsity

I'll give him this; he's learned how to apologize. Now he just needs to learn to stop saying things he has to apologize for.