Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-12-2012, 12:18 PM   #401
Peregrine
Pro Starter

I love it that in Endless Space they actually tried to have a sense of humor in some of the descriptions - from the Hostile Fauna anomaly on a planet - "While the beasts on this planet were at first described as 'giant', 'primal' and 'impressive' a more accurate description would have been 'clever, silent, and ravenous.' Though they are eagerly hunted and are in fact a good food source, few people enjoy living on a planet where the food pyramid is in fact a circle.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 12:33 PM   #402
whomario
Pro Starter

"They are the Cravers, everything else is their food" (when hovering over them while in the selection screen)
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 07-12-2012 at 12:34 PM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 12:42 PM   #403
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
I agree here 100%, I have the 2009 version I believe and it was a bit hard to use for a non-cycling guy. The new version looks a lot more accessible and hopefully it'll be on Steam sale! It's a good $10 game for me, but not $40.

Itīs down to 30 in the german steam store until July 23rd, so that likely will be the lowest itīll be then for a while Iīll have to think about it, but 30 is definitely better than 40
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 07-12-2012 at 12:42 PM.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:43 PM   #404
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
Itīs down to 30 in the german steam store until July 23rd, so that likely will be the lowest itīll be then for a while Iīll have to think about it, but 30 is definitely better than 40

At least wait until the last day of the Summer sale. It could end up as a daily deal with a bigger discount.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 12:47 PM   #405
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
At least wait until the last day of the Summer sale. It could end up as a daily deal with a bigger discount.

Yeah, definitely will do that. Maybe at the last day of the real life tour de france or sth like that (22nd)
Old 07-12-2012, 01:05 PM   #406
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

The summer sale seems to be live. Wish I could tell you about all the goodies I just bought but the servers are getting hammered so hard I can't buy anything!
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 01:38 PM   #407
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

I already purchased the Pro Cycling 2012 game. Been playing it some at home. I will say that watching the Tour de France on DVR and keeping up with what has happened has helped my ability to understand the sport tremendously. I picked up a couple of good, young riders and was able to do well in my first couple of tours at the lower levels. Still made some mistakes, but I tried the previous iteration of the gamae and really struggled because I didn't have a clue how to time attacks and protect riders. Doing much better now.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 07-12-2012 at 01:39 PM.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 01:53 PM   #408
whomario
Pro Starter

i think the main thing is to know your riders and know the race calendar and how the races shape up. For example there are a couple mid level tours where the time trial determines 80% of the overall standing, if you have a great TT rider then those are the tours he should focus on.

Also, every rider only has a finite number of all-out races in him and a couple "windows" where heīs at full form and you have to try to time those to fall into races where he can actually play a good role.

The bigger the race, the less wiggle room there is (riders who are GT contenders almost never shine in smaller races)

damn, now i want the game ...

Last edited by whomario : 07-12-2012 at 01:54 PM.
Old 07-12-2012, 01:55 PM   #409
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
i think the main thing is to know your riders and know the race calendar and how the races shape up. For example there are a couple mid level tours where the time trial determines 80% of the overall standing, if you have a great TT rider then those are the tours he should focus on.

Also, every rider only has a finite number of all-out races in him and a couple "windows" where heīs at full form and you have to try to time those to fall into races where he can actually play a good role.

The bigger the race, the less wiggle room there is (riders who are GT contenders almost never shine in smaller races)

I'm not sure that I've figured all that out yet, but I'm having fun finding ways to screw up.
Old 07-12-2012, 01:57 PM   #410
Philliesfan980
Banned

Is the pro cycling game a simulation game, or is it a game where you control the biker?
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 02:29 PM   #411
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliesfan980 View Post
Is the pro cycling game a simulation game, or is it a game where you control the biker?

sort of a mix of both. You manage your team (transfers, finances, training, season planning and stuff) and come race day you can either sim it or play the stage. If you play the stage you can switch between all your participating riders and give them commands (how fast they go/which amount of energy they spent, if they lead the field or save energy. And if you order a rider to attack heīll do so immediately).

But you donīt press a button to pedal and another to stand up or sth. Thereīs a console game that gives you a more hands-on approach in that regard, but itīs only for the Tour de France (i think) and doesnīt have any of the management aspects.

Last edited by whomario : 07-12-2012 at 02:35 PM.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:32 PM   #412
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

It's sounds too complicated already!

I'm not a big biking fan, but I love management games and stats. Can you just watch the races and let the players do their own strategy, or would they just suck? I usually have the GM role in my games, hire the right guys, make sure they're trained up, but not get too hands on.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:42 PM   #413
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

BTW, if anybody not in the USA needs help.

Steam Community :: ID :: CancerStick

Last edited by Scoobz0202 : 07-12-2012 at 08:43 PM.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:15 PM   #414
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I'm off for the next 11 days, Endless Space here I come!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:01 AM   #415
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Hello 3 hours later.. lol

So far, Endless Space is quite engrossing.. time is just flowing by.

I have a 4 year old pc and haven't noticed much difference between graphics settings, so I'll leave it on fantastic for now. I'm assuming once you get into some space battles, that's when you'll have to adjust.

I doubt my GeForce 8600 GTS will be able to handle that setting throughout the game.. it's sure a beautiful game.
Old 07-14-2012, 12:04 AM   #416
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Besides a game of NCAA 13, I've been obsessed with Endless Space. I feel bad for Civ 5 now because I was deep into it until I pulled the credit card for ES.

Fantastic game and being able to vote on the next additions to the game is genius.

I like the card system for battles, I think it's things like this that really makes this game engaging for me.

Last edited by MizzouRah : 07-14-2012 at 12:04 AM.
Old 07-14-2012, 05:25 PM   #417
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

http://deadpoolgame.com/#!/home
Old 07-14-2012, 05:33 PM   #418
RainMaker
General Manager

Can someoen give me a brief rundown of Endless Space? I have no idea what it is and I can't really figure out what type of game it is.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 05:39 PM   #419
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

4X game like GalCiv or Master of Orion. Rather than strategic combat, sides use cardlike mechanics to affect the combat rolls. Very polished, lots of UI improvements, easier to micromanage than its competitors...but looks to have a steepish learning curve.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 06:16 PM   #420
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shkspr View Post
4X game like GalCiv or Master of Orion. Rather than strategic combat, sides use cardlike mechanics to affect the combat rolls. Very polished, lots of UI improvements, easier to micromanage than its competitors...but looks to have a steepish learning curve.

The tutorial is excellent, but is brain overload. Like Civ 5 though, start out on easy and work your way up.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:13 AM   #421
mckerney
Coordinator

Old 07-17-2012, 12:34 PM   #422
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

That video is great. Metro: 2033 had one of the best atmospheres of any game I've ever played.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 03:41 PM   #423
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
Metro: 2033 had one of the best atmospheres of any game I've ever played.

$4.99(75% off) on Steam right now.
Old 07-19-2012, 12:36 AM   #424
mckerney
Coordinator

Looks like current 360 exclusive Fez could be coming to PC before too long.

Polytron bringing back Fez patch, won't fix save issues | Joystiq

Quote:
Polytron points to this as a major drawback with Microsoft's Xbox Live Arcade service, in that the company charges exorbitant fees to developers to release even free updates and content. "Had Fez been released on Steam instead of XBLA," posts Polytron, "the game would have been fixed two weeks after release, at no cost to us." Does that mean a Steam version is in progress? "Only a few months left to our XBLA exclusivity!" says the company on Twitter.
Old 07-19-2012, 07:06 AM   #425
spleen1015
Coordinator

Saw an article about a new open world game, Sleeping Dogs. I am a sucker for open world games. I'll probably buy it.
Old 07-19-2012, 05:19 PM   #426
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
Saw an article about a new open world game, Sleeping Dogs. I am a sucker for open world games. I'll probably buy it.

I preordered it from Green Man Gaming when it was available for $30, nice to see some good early reviews.

Early Review Scores for Sleeping Dogs are Looking Fantastic | Only Single Player
Old 07-19-2012, 06:40 PM   #427
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Yes. $30.

Yes...I'm playing Pro Cycling Manager 2012 (the management version for PC, not the Console game).

Is this a game where I would need to be an huge cycling fan, or could a guy like me with plenty of experience playing sports management games and a watcher of the Tour on TV get something out of the game?

Most of the reviews talk about the steep learning curve and the lack of appeal to people who do not follow cycling closely, but I have seen the same said about plenty of other sports management games.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:12 PM   #428
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan S View Post
Is this a game where I would need to be an huge cycling fan, or could a guy like me with plenty of experience playing sports management games and a watcher of the Tour on TV get something out of the game?

Most of the reviews talk about the steep learning curve and the lack of appeal to people who do not follow cycling closely, but I have seen the same said about plenty of other sports management games.

If you have watched the Tour semi-regularly, you're good to go. Just need the basic strategies to start, though it's obviously one of those things that's tough to master the finer details.
Old 07-20-2012, 07:35 AM   #429
gstelmack
Pro Starter

I have a code available for the Arctic Strike DLC pack for Ghost Recon Future Soldier on the Xbox 360. If you own and play Future Soldier on the 360, PM me your Xbox gamertag so I can verify (I'll check the http://live.xbox.com/en-US/Profile?g...g=GRCurmudgeon page) and then I'll PM you back the code.
Old 07-21-2012, 06:08 AM   #430
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
If you have watched the Tour semi-regularly, you're good to go. Just need the basic strategies to start, though it's obviously one of those things that's tough to master the finer details.

Decided to go for it thanks to the 50% flash sale.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 04:57 PM   #431
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Searched the forums because I ran across Endless Space and it looks interesting. I'll probably wait until winter when I'm bored and can't go anywhere, but...it looks intriguing. Can you build your own ships?
Old 07-26-2012, 01:00 PM   #432
whomario
Pro Starter

@ Dark Cloud : you can definitely construct ships. You basically have a basic outfit (couple different types of ships with different functions) and then you can outfit it with weapons, protection and other things.

Hereīs the link for the manual if you are interested : http://cdn.steampowered.com/Manuals/...F?t=1341364778

has tons of info and pictures on the issue and propably is more coherent than me

For all you guys who bought Pro Cycling Manager 2012 : Thereīs a new patch coming, most likely tomorrow (hope on steam as well), which fixes a couple really glaring issues. Hope itīll also make mountain stages more stretched out, but thatīs sth that might allways be fixable by the DB makers.

What teams are you playing with btw ? Iīm thinking about starting a career saturday, not yet sure what team. Propably a level 2 team, thinking about Argos-Shimano maybe with their 2 powerfull and young german sprinters (Kittel and Degenkolb)

One of the idiotic oversights of the game is that you canīt check the budget for all teams somewhere, basically have to start with a team to see itīs budget ...

anyway, the fix list for the patch :

Quote:
[CAREER]
- Major fix: Schedule/invitations for Cya World Tour races in season 2.
- Fix: a bug could prevent a limited number of very good riders from joining a new team during the off season, therefore finding themselves without a contract.
- Fix: crash which could occur on the Schedule page.
- Fix: problem on the world championships time-trial (bad team controlled).
- Fix: bug that prevented renewal of contracts for the next year (year + 1) when, in January of the current year, there were 30 riders under contract.
- Fix: some fixes in Update 4 (1.2.0.0 from 1.1.0.3) did not fully take into account the fix to U23 races (the correct race profiles were missing).
- Improvement: Cost of staff revised to avoid the financial imbalance which could be created with small and medium-sized teams.
- Improvement: sponsor goals

[ARMADA]
- Major feature: Collections
- Feature: Added the possibility to play friendly races with a custom database.
- Feature: Added the possibility to "sell" rider cards back to the server in exchange for Coins.
- Functionality: Added wear and tear of equipment (only taken into account in races for ladder games).
- Functionality: player rankings have been added showing progress of collections.
- Feature: In the list of games, information added about the type of friendly race: terrain, distance, cobblestones, database (Armada Official or Custom)
- Functionality: It is now possible to use a password to protect a friendly game.

[VARIOUS]
- Fix: the "alternative" races are now playable in stage/tour/classic and career modes.
- Fix: various fixes to prevent possible crashes when starting the game and when accessing the "load game" page.
- Fix: final race winnings were not paid on the Paris-Nice.
- Functionality: It is now possible to use start lists (startlists) in Tour/Stage/Classic solo races.

[DATABASE]
- Fix: update of two profiles on the Tour of Belgium

[DATABASE]
- Adjustment: Some attributes tweaked
Old 07-26-2012, 01:18 PM   #433
bhlloy
Coordinator

Hopefully by improving sponsor goals they mean not having 9 out of 10 goals for races you have no shot of even being invited to if you aren't a huge team.

Also agreed on making stages more spread out, right now feels very formulaic and having a great climber doesn't really reward you because anybody can stay on the front of the pack
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:53 PM   #434
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

I've been playing the hell out of Crusader Kings 2. This is a very fun game.
I finished Max Payne 3 on 360 and enjoyed that very much as well.
Prototype 2 is more of the same, so if you like the first one, you should like this as well.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:58 PM   #435
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachmo71 View Post
I've been playing the hell out of Crusader Kings 2. This is a very fun game.
I finished Max Payne 3 on 360 and enjoyed that very much as well.
Prototype 2 is more of the same, so if you like the first one, you should like this as well.

I've been playing a lot of Crusader Kings 2 as well. I still don't feel like I understand about 40% of what's going on or what I could (or should) be doing at any time, but I do quite enjoy muddling along.

I think the trick for me has been thinking of it much more as a RPG than a conquest/Civizliations type of game.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 02:16 PM   #436
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I've been playing a lot of Crusader Kings 2 as well. I still don't feel like I understand about 40% of what's going on or what I could (or should) be doing at any time, but I do quite enjoy muddling along.

I think the trick for me has been thinking of it much more as a RPG than a conquest/Civizliations type of game.

I LOVE RPing in CKII. I find that I have to in order to really get enjoyment out of it...start out as a little lord and set myself a goal of just...expanding a little bit at first...then a little more, etc.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:17 PM   #437
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Spec Ops: The Line is freaking awesome

Since Darksiders 2 is coming out in a couple of weeks, I picked up the original today.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:23 PM   #438
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

This game looks great..

Sleeping Dogs
Old 07-26-2012, 11:29 PM   #439
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Spec Ops: The Line is freaking awesome

Since Darksiders 2 is coming out in a couple of weeks, I picked up the original today.

If anyone else is interested in doing the same Green Man Gaming has it for $4.99 right now, the game activates on Steam.

Other deals on game with sequels coming out soon, Orcs Must Die! is $3.75 on Steam and Borderlands is $7.49 with all DLC plus a free weekend of play on Steam.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:51 PM   #440
mckerney
Coordinator

I absolutely agree with you about Spec Ops: The Line, just a fantastic story for a military shooter that even carries it through the sub par gameplay. Plus Nolan North is absolutely fantastic as the lead. Not really surprising given it's Nolan North (he's also done some great work in Dota 2 in addition to being in just about every game ever made), but he absolutely nails the part and his performance really adds a lot to his character.

I'd say that so far Spec Ops and The Walking Dead are the two best games I've played to come out this year.

Also looking forward to Sleeping Dogs, preordered it since it was available for $30 on Green Man Gaming a while ago and what I've seen since then has looked pretty good.
Old 07-27-2012, 01:20 AM   #441
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
I absolutely agree with you about Spec Ops: The Line, just a fantastic story for a military shooter that even carries it through the sub par gameplay. Plus Nolan North is absolutely fantastic as the lead. Not really surprising given it's Nolan North (he's also done some great work in Dota 2 in addition to being in just about every game ever made), but he absolutely nails the part and his performance really adds a lot to his character.

I'd say that so far Spec Ops and The Walking Dead are the two best games I've played to come out this year.

Also looking forward to Sleeping Dogs, preordered it since it was available for $30 on Green Man Gaming a while ago and what I've seen since then has looked pretty good.

It is a great game thus far.. really pulls you into its story.
Old 07-27-2012, 02:06 AM   #442
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
This game looks great..

Sleeping Dogs

it was originally a "True Crime" game. Those were a bit underwhelming as games. maybe this will be different.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 02:17 AM   #443
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
it was originally a "True Crime" game. Those were a bit underwhelming as games. maybe this will be different.

Sort of. At first it was being developed under the name Black Lotus starting in 2008 by a different developer than the one that had made the True Crime series. Then Activision decided to put the True Crime name on it in 2009. After being delayed Activision cancelled the project in early 2011 and it was later picked up by Square Enix 6 months later. Square Enix didn't have the rights to the True Crime title though so it was changed to Sleeping Dogs.

So it was at one point a True Crime game though it started out as an original IP.

Last edited by mckerney : 07-27-2012 at 09:28 AM.
Old 07-27-2012, 02:36 AM   #444
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I remember the bad guys all ran a straight line in the first true crime. All you had to do was diagonal a bit and you could easily catch up to them.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 03:13 AM   #445
RainMaker
General Manager

Only thing that concerns me as an open-world game is that they say the world is pretty small. I like those big open worlds that I can just go wild in.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:17 AM   #446
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post

I'll definitely wait for reviews.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:34 AM   #447
mckerney
Coordinator

Left 4 Dead 2 on 360 will finally be getting the Cold Stream DLC soon with the Cold Stream campaign along with 4 campaigns for the original Left 4 Dead. It also unlocks all of the mutations.

I wasn't a big fan of Cold Stream when I played it back when it was in beta, but it's worth it for the original campaigns and mutations.

Last edited by mckerney : 07-27-2012 at 09:37 AM.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:40 AM   #448
Kodos
Resident Alien

Will the 4 campaigns be with the original cast, or the L4D2 cast? Not that it really matters much...
Old 07-27-2012, 10:04 AM   #449
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Will the 4 campaigns be with the original cast, or the L4D2 cast? Not that it really matters much...

On PC they have the original cast but with the weapons and special infected from Left 4 Dead 2. I would guess 360 would be the same unless they needed to make the download smaller for XBox Live (the campaign updates were huge on Steam).

The update will cost something like $7 in MS points.

Last edited by mckerney : 07-27-2012 at 10:05 AM.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:25 AM   #450
Kodos
Resident Alien

Great. Will be grabbing that shortly for the 360. Thanks for the heads up, mckerney.