Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-30-2011, 11:57 AM   #4601
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Inglorious Basterds - 7 / 10

Yeah, I'm late in getting around to this one but well worth the time to watch, at least if you're a fan of QT's work. The somewhat lower rating comes from a thought that I couldn't quite shake while watching the movie: if you didn't know who QT was or what he does, this would be very strange stuff indeed, bordering on the ridiculous at times.

That said, the casting was absolutely remarkable. Both main Germans were ridiculously good IMO, the Englishman as well. Cameos ranging from Rod Taylor to Mike Myers were nice enough & avoided distraction.

Less gore & less language than the average Tarantino movie but that didn't hurt anything. It's almost fun to watch his work at this point just to catch his various signatures & this was no exception. I wouldn't recommend it as a first film of his to see but if you enjoyed the previous ones then this ought to work just fine.

The Story of Anvil - 8.5 / 10

Another late to the party movie for me, at least as far as watching it in one sitting. I'd watched bits & pieces during the hundreds of airings on VH1 but never really sat through it for long stretches. The description "a real-life Spinal Tap" is certainly apt, although I think that's what had me kind of avoiding the movie for so long & leads to the somewhat lower-than-the-critics rating from me. If you're a fan of the genre this is almost painful to watch, the absurdity of the European tour, the certifiably insane marriage that takes place afterwards (and was notably never touched upon again in the movie), the sad to the point of being pathetic existence of guys who really do seem to deserve a better fate in life. It's almost too much for me as someone who appreciates what these guys do, although knowing what happens to/for them in the five years since this was filmed helped ease that enough that I could finally watch. At times it brought to mind the sadness that went with watching parts of Decline of Civilization, Part 2. I'm okay with musicians not having perfect lives, it's just more than a little depressing to see so much of the misery I guess. It's a movie that's probably made better by knowing both the future as well as the backstory of how/why it was made, certainly neither takes anything away from it.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 05-30-2011 at 12:04 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 03:13 AM   #4602
Dreghorn2
n00b

[quote=JonInMiddleGA;2476654]

The Story of Anvil - 8.5 / 10

Excellent recommendation and really (i guess) what this thread is all about.

Very very good, talk about reality TV, it doesn't get any more 'real' than this.

Brilliant editing by the filmmaker makes this documentary an outstanding watch, really enjoyed it.
Dreghorn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 07:18 AM   #4603
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
Wife wanted to see Bridesmaids so off we went. It's funny and I laughed several times but it's amazing how different a sense of humor men and women have. The theater was so loud at parts you couldn't hear the next lines and somehow it wasn't on the lines I considered the best. In addition, Kristen Wiig is sneaky hot.

I had much the same experience as you. Wiig's mother (And my wife and I both had to wait for the credits to see the name Jill Clayburgh, "Oh, yeah!") talking about running AA meetings despite never having taken a drink in her life had me in stitches, but the rest of the theater was quiet.

As to Wiig being sneaky hot, could the 'sneaky' part be that the other women in the movie were largely unattractive? The bride, in particular, was everyday ugly. The chick from 'The Office' was her usual cute self, but the others were all well below Hollywood par.
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW
OldGiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 11:30 AM   #4604
JediKooter
Coordinator

Pirates of the Caribbean on Stranger Tides - 7.5/10

Slightly over 2 hours, so some people's attention spans may not be able to handle a movie this long. Not a whole lot of slow moments, the mermaids were hot, the dude who plays Blackbeard did an excellent job, story wasn't bad, and the end definitely left it open for a part 5.

I did not see this in 3D and quite honestly, didn't feel that I missed a thing. The story is decent enough to hold its own without the need for 3D.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 06:14 PM   #4605
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
While, not a movie I've seen, I didn't think this required its own thread. So...

They are fiming the (totally unnecessary) re-make of "Red Dawn" in Detroit. Between the tax credits available to filmmakers and the fact that Detroit already looks like a city that has been invaded by a hostile force, it's a good choice.

A large part of whatever they are filming is going on about a block from where I work. Over the last three days, there have been a number of sporadic explosions and sounds of small arms fire that can be heard (and sometimes felt) from my office. They also have made up one of the buildings across the way to look like the occupying force's (the Chinese) local police station.

I think I will head over and take a closer look during lunch.
Any thoughts on how they replaced the Chinese with the North Koreans? I guess you can't be a movie baddie if your country has money to spend.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 07:44 PM   #4606
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Any thoughts on how they replaced the Chinese with the North Koreans? I guess you can't be a movie baddie if your country has money to spend.

Here's an early shot of the North Korean navy:

Old 06-02-2011, 10:43 AM   #4607
JediKooter
Coordinator

Haha!!!

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
Old 06-02-2011, 10:48 AM   #4608
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

As to how they did it? I think they must just do all the editing digitally. It's a pretty stupid idea. Even the idea of China occupying America or the Russian/Cuban alliance in the original occupying America is far fetched, but North Korea? They are a tiny country with no real military power. As the picture above illustrates.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 12:27 PM   #4609
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Hangover 2

More of the same . It you enjoyed Hangover, you'll find the same plot line in Hangover 2 and therefore, it'll be quite enjoyable to you. This ain't a thinking man's movie, this is a sit back, tune out and just enjoy. There are a few laugh out loud moments. The camraderie between Galifinakis (who's even more unhinged here), Ed Helms and dreamy Bradley Cooper (my wife thinks so anyway) is nice and does make for an easier suspension of belief on things (though certain things that do occur during the movie make me question heartily how a wedding could take place afterwards). Remember this movie takes place in Bangkok so expect some humor to come from that. Mr. Chow makes a reappearance and does seem to steal the scenes he's in.

Hangover 3 is now in pre-planning stage, next location is Amsterdam.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 03:08 PM   #4610
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwikshot View Post
dreamy Bradley Cooper (my wife thinks so anyway)

So she's into guys who look like emus? :P
Old 06-06-2011, 01:38 AM   #4611
Groundhog
Coordinator

X-Men: First Class - 7.5/10

I was victim of the hype as it didn't quite measure up to what I was expecting. I have no problem with them changing the characters up - Shaw being a former-Nazi in particular is a fairly big change - nor with the make-up of the intial X-Men squad which, again to put it mildly, is rather different from the comics. I understand they are forging their own alternate Marvel universe.

I guess my main problem with the film is that they just tried to cram so damn much in. It felt like 3 hours of film edited down to 2. Definitely enjoyable though, and the tie-in to WWII and the Cold War was pretty cool.

It's sort of a reboot within the X-Men film world too, because we watched X-Men 1 when we got home from the cinemas last night, and a few things no longer make sense, two points stuck out for me in particular:

Spoiler

Last edited by Groundhog : 06-06-2011 at 01:47 AM.
Groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 09:56 AM   #4612
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Bridesmaids 8/10

Very solid comedy. I really enjoyed it. Right up there on par with the "40 Year Old Virgin" and the other Apatowesque comedies. The ladies more than held their own. I definitely liked it more than "The Hangover."

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGiants View Post
As to Wiig being sneaky hot, could the 'sneaky' part be that the other women in the movie were largely unattractive? The bride, in particular, was everyday ugly. The chick from 'The Office' was her usual cute self, but the others were all well below Hollywood par.

Wiig is sneaky hot. Very much so. As for the rest of the cast. Rose Byrne, the actress who played Hellen, is hot and definitely on Hollywood par, if not above it. I agree, though, the other bridesmaids weren't all that attractive. Then again, it's a comedy. It's not like the leading/supporting men in most comedies are all that hot. Ben Stiller? Zack Galafinakis? Jonah Hill? Michael Cera? Seth Rogen? Definitely all below Hollywood par in terms of hunkiness I would imagine.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 06-17-2011, 12:31 PM   #4613
JediKooter
Coordinator

Super 8 - 7.5/10

Saw this last night and I really enjoyed it. Not an Oscar candidate, but, still very entertaining.The kids did an excellent job and played their parts very well. The movie will definitely remind you of early 80s movies like The Goonies and others, which isn't a bad thing in my opinion. I'd actually go see this movie again. I wouldn't take kids younger than 10 to go see this movie as it may be a bit too intense for them in some parts.

For those who are nit picky about every last detail, demand complete adherence to the natural laws of the physical world or don't understand that fictional movies are for entertainment purposes, you probably will hate this movie.

Hangover 2 - 6/10

Not a bad movie overall. Somewhat of a rehashing of the original, but, it still got some laughs out of me. Mr. Chow is hilarious in every scene he's in. This isn't Schindler's List or the Godfather or anything like that, it's just a movie you go to the theater, buy some popcorn and a drink and relax for a couple of hours and laugh a few times. Which is exactly what I did.

Old 06-17-2011, 12:34 PM   #4614
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
Super 8 - 7.5/10

Saw this last night and I really enjoyed it. Not an Oscar candidate, but, still very entertaining.The kids did an excellent job and played their parts very well. The movie will definitely remind you of early 80s movies like The Goonies and others, which isn't a bad thing in my opinion. I'd actually go see this movie again. I wouldn't take kids younger than 10 to go see this movie as it may be a bit too intense for them in some parts.

For those who are nit picky about every last detail, demand complete adherence to the natural laws of the physical world or don't understand that fictional movies are for entertainment purposes, you probably will hate this movie.

Hangover 2 - 6/10

Not a bad movie overall. Somewhat of a rehashing of the original, but, it still got some laughs out of me. Mr. Chow is hilarious in every scene he's in. This isn't Schindler's List or the Godfather or anything like that, it's just a movie you go to the theater, buy some popcorn and a drink and relax for a couple of hours and laugh a few times. Which is exactly what I did.

Pretty much right on for Super 8. It's a good, but not great movie. You will feel like you've seen a lot of it before but it's worth seeing, especially with your kids if they are 10-15 years old.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 02:09 PM   #4615
Swaggs
Coordinator

Catfish - 7/10

Finally caught this one on cable last night. The premise is that it is about a 20-something photographer in NYC who becomes involved with the family of an 8-year old painting prodigy (she paints his photographs) that live in Northern Michigan. As it progresses, he becomes friendly with the little girl's mother and develops a romantic relationship with the girl's sister. The relationship is documented (beginning after a few weeks) by his brother and roommate (who are filmmakers). There is, of course, an interesting twist at the end (more like from about a 1/3rd of the way through, but it develops more and more).

I enjoyed watching it, but I am probably penalizing it a point or so because the trailers made it appear considerably darker than it turned out to be. Still, a decent cable or Netflix watch.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 06:13 PM   #4616
Groundhog
Coordinator

Super 8 - 9/10
I really enjoyed this one. Yeah, it was basically Goonies in 2011, but that's not a bad thing. These were the sort of "kid's movies" we used to get when I was young, rather than this Spy Kids crap of the last decade or so.
Old 06-25-2011, 10:06 PM   #4617
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Cedar Rapids : 8/10 - Ed Helms is classic Ed Helms in this one, and John C Reilly is excellent. Very funny movie about an insurance salesman (Helms) from a small town being sent on his first trip to a big city for an Insurance Salesman conference. All kinds of funny shit happens, and every character in the movie is great in their own way. Theres even a naked hug with Red from that 70s show. Can't miss.

The Loved Ones: 10/10 - From Australia, one of the best horror movies I have seen. Very original in my opinion, and thats hard for a horror movie to do. I was cheering at the end, and was satisfied immensely by the events that unfolded.

House Of the Devil: 9/10 - Another awesome horror film, filmed in the style of an old school horror flick, but very tense and creepy the whole way. a surprise, considering it sounded like a cheesy piece of shite based on the title alone.

Tucker and Dale Vs. Evil: 10/10 - See this. Simply put. I haven't laughed this hard in a while. Horror turned on its head.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 12:24 PM   #4618
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Transformers: Dark of the Moon

7/10

Saw it on 3d. The script was dumbed down from 2, it ran about 30 minutes too long, but I still had an awesome time.
Old 06-29-2011, 01:21 PM   #4619
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
The script was dumbed down from 2

Well there's a ringing endorsement.
Old 06-29-2011, 02:56 PM   #4620
Easy Mac

Super 8 - 9/10 - Fuck, if this movie had come out when I was 10-15, I would have had a completely different life. Goonies and ET came out when I was an infant, and movies had changed by the time I was the age of these kids. I LOVED this movie more than any movie I've seen the last few years. The last quarter of the movie dragged a bit, but the first 3/4 of the movie was so spectacular that I didn't care.

Battle: Los Angeles - 2/10 - Man this was bad. I really wanted to like it, but the characters were so boring and annoying, that I just checked out on the movie early.

Paul - 6/10 - It was a fun time. Enjoyed Pegg and Frost, but it was just uneven.

And yes, I watched 3 alien movies in 1 day, completely by accident as well.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 03:57 PM   #4621
Kodos
Resident Alien

I also thought Super 8 was fantastic. Best movie I have seen in a long time.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:40 PM   #4622
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Just saw Super 8 tonight and loved it! But I haven't put up a bunch lately:

Thor - 6/10: It was ok, I guess. Perhaps if this came out before XMen1 or Spiderman 2, I would be more up on it. But it was just kinda pedestrian now. The fact that it is just a background story for his character on The Avengers movie next year comes through fairly clear.

X-Men: First Class - 9/10: Loved it! Just wonderful casting and acting. And the parallels with the gay rights movement are obvious, but make the movie better instead of worse. They did a great job the origin stories of the XMen and brought the old comic costumes back .

Midnight in Paris - 9/10: A brilliant Woody Allen movie, full of wit and whimsy. Loved the "magical" element and the casting of those people was just perfect. It really was done so well and the message was absolutely brilliant and, IMO, necessary for a wideswath of people who look with nostalgia to the 50s or 60s these days.

Super 8 - 8/10: Excellently done movie. I love the early 80s style action movies, where they don't show you the baddy right away, but allow the action and tension to build and build and build before the payoff. The kids were casted just right (and I KNEW I recognized the girl, because she's Dakota Fanning's younger sister and looks very much like her... esp in the eyes) and Kyle Chandler can't do anything wrong, IMO. They just don't make movies like that anymore and its a shame.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 06-29-2011 at 09:41 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 11:09 AM   #4623
JediKooter
Coordinator

Transformers 3 - 8/10

I would have given it a higher rating, but, Megan Fox's replacement was just weird looking and irritating. Some funny moments in it and the voice of Sentinel Prime did a damn good job. Highly entertaining movie all in all and that's my number 1 requirement of any movie I see.

I'm glad I did not see it in 3D. There wasn't one scene that I can think of that would have benefited from being in 3D. I mean, unless you like the tired 1950s gimick of things flying at you.

Bonus (for me at least): My cousin was in it, he had maybe a grand total of 30 frames of screen time. Still cool to see though.

Old 06-30-2011, 03:01 PM   #4624
korme
Go Reds

Weird looking? Wow
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 03:27 PM   #4625
JediKooter
Coordinator

She has a really weird looking face. Body is fantastic. Face...not so much.

Old 07-16-2011, 11:31 PM   #4626
molson
General Manager

Super 8: 8/10

Thanks for the recommendation FOFC, this might have been under my radar if not for reading about it here. It really was a throwback, I had that post-movie "that was fun" feeling I associate with childhood. And with that, I don't mean to degrade it as some kind of "popcorn flick" - these days a lot of bad movies get that pass, "hey, it was a fun summer movie." This was definitely better than that.

Tree of Life: 6/10

Ambitious and unique and I liked it but I just didn't quite connect with it. I liked the poetic aspects - the montages, I liked the acting and the depiction of 50s family life - but those two elements just didn't mesh up for me to where I had any kind of real reaction to it.

Last edited by molson : 07-16-2011 at 11:39 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 10:07 AM   #4627
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
She has a really weird looking face. Body is fantastic. Face...not so much.

I agree. I find her face very weird looking and really not that attractive. Her face is like some mish-mash of attractive features that should come together very nicely, but just don't at all.
Old 07-24-2011, 12:47 PM   #4628
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Captain America: 8/10
I really enjoyed this movie, but as has been noted earlier in the thread, I'm quite easy to please. I also didn't read the comic books, so I have no idea how true to the story they stayed. I would have given it a higher rating, but all I could think about throughout the movie was "This is what Star Wars would have looked like if it were set in 1940's Europe." Not at all a bad thing, but definitely strange.

The movie was much funnier than I anticipated (I love Tommy Lee Jones in roles like this), and the one-liners were crisp and delivered well. Not sure I enjoyed the ending, but I see why they did it.

Last edited by Vince, Pt. II : 07-24-2011 at 01:32 PM.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 03:48 PM   #4629
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Super 8 8/10 Took my 12 year old with me to the theatre, I think I enjoyed it more than she did. I like how it was a kids movie, but the kids weren't the typical "look at how funny i am" retarded stuff that you see now.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:13 PM   #4630
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Captain America - 7/10: It was good, but overly silly at times. I thought the casting was good (esp Tommy Lee Jones) and the one liners were pretty sharp. Enjoyable, but an appetizer for the 2012 Avengers movie.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:26 PM   #4631
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Aren't we to that point with everything except maybe the first Iron Man: everything else has seemed like an appetizer or prologue for the Avengers movie (Iron Man 2, Thor, Hulk with Ed Norton, and now Captain America). Inevitably, it has to be some sort of letdown, right?

Sadly, I've bought in to the hype as well and I can't help but worry about how bad the Avengers movie won't be able to live up to me watching 5 mediocre to pretty good movies as a prequel to it.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 07-26-2011 at 10:27 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 11:26 PM   #4632
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I think the only reason I saw Thor at all was because of the Avengers movie... which is probably exactly what they were going for.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:36 PM   #4633
Groundhog
Coordinator

I'm sure they will make the usual mistake of trying to treat all characters equally within 90-120 mins runtime, especially considering it's a "name" actor for all of them.
Old 07-27-2011, 08:19 AM   #4634
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

The Immaculate Conception of Little Dizzle - 9/10 - I really was very pleasantly surprised by this film. The great intro drew me in, then the first thing that happens (When the guy opens the message in a bottle) hooked me. After that it was a long and increasingly funny ride til a somewhat sloppy ending.. But overall, very unique and entertaining and pretty damn funny.

As for the synopsis: A young idealist who seems to have a new religion every week gets a job as a janitor and then he and his fellow janitor cohorts take part as guinea pigs in a cookie taste test.. Well, there is more to these cookies than meets the eye. A trippy journey ensues, culminating in one of the more bizarre experiences possible.

FUCK EA
Old 07-27-2011, 08:33 AM   #4635
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Oh, forgot a couple..

Win Win - 9/10 - Classic Paul Giamatti role in this film. Synopsis from RT: Paul Giamatti headlines writer/director Tom McCarthy's comedy drama centering on a beleaguered attorney and part-time wrestling coach who schemes to keep his practice from going under by acting as the legal caretaker of an elderly client. Mike Flaherty (Giamatti) thinks he has discovered the perfect loophole to keep his practice in business. But his brilliant plan hits an unexpected hitch when his client's troubled grandson shows up looking for a place to stay. With his home life in turmoil and both of his careers in jeopardy, Mike quickly realizes that he'll have to get creative in order to find a way out of his current predicament.

Black Death - 7/10 - Solid film starring Sean Bean, this movie is like Lord of the Rings meets The Wicker Man.

The Adjustment Bureau - 8/10 - I am a fan of Philip K. Dick, and this is probably the best film made based on one of his works. Very interesting premise, and not cheesy like it could have been. Lots of action with little violence and some decent laughs in places.

FUCK EA
Old 07-27-2011, 10:06 AM   #4636
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Aren't we to that point with everything except maybe the first Iron Man: everything else has seemed like an appetizer or prologue for the Avengers movie (Iron Man 2, Thor, Hulk with Ed Norton, and now Captain America). Inevitably, it has to be some sort of letdown, right?

Sadly, I've bought in to the hype as well and I can't help but worry about how bad the Avengers movie won't be able to live up to me watching 5 mediocre to pretty good movies as a prequel to it.

SI

I have faith in Joss Whedon.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 09:14 PM   #4637
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataKing View Post
I have faith in Joss Whedon.

I have hope but he is hopelessly overrated. Fortunately, for Iron Man 2 and Thor, I saw them at the $2 theater here in Indy and Hulk I just saw on FX one of the last couple of weekends. So the money invested isn't too great

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 04:29 PM   #4638
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I have hope but he is hopelessly overrated. Fortunately, for Iron Man 2 and Thor, I saw them at the $2 theater here in Indy and Hulk I just saw on FX one of the last couple of weekends. So the money invested isn't too great

SI

Joss Whedon is appropriately rated.
Old 07-28-2011, 04:38 PM   #4639
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Captain America - 6/10. I didn't hate. Didn't love it. It was actually a very dull, by the numbers movie. I zero emotional engagement with anything that was happening on screen. I liked the casting. I thought Chris Evans did a great job as Cap. Tommy Lee Jones was good, but he was just playing Tommy Lee Jones. I thought they captured the spirit and essence of the character pretty well. His fight scenes were fine, but still the movie really didn't stir me in the slightest.

I am looking forward to the Avengers movie. I just can't wait to see how they try and make all of these various disparate characters and powers work together: Hulk, Thor, Cap, Iron Man. Should be fun, though it will probably be a bit of a mess. Just too much.

Still, I think it's in good hands. Whedon is directly responsible for some of my favorite "shows" of all time in Buffy, Firefly, Angel and Dr. Horrible. His run on "Astonishing X-Men" was also fantastic. While I am a proud Whedonite, I am not a slavering fanboy. I didn't think "Dollhouse" worked all that well. Still, Whedon has provided me some of the best characters, dramatic, comedic and emotional moments on TV. Hopefully he can be successful with "Avengers."
Old 07-29-2011, 10:45 AM   #4640
JediKooter
Coordinator

Cowboys and Aliens - 6/10

Not a bad movie overall, just not quite what I was expecting. Not as action packed as I thought it would be. Ford and Craig were good in their roles. Something was missing though, that I still haven't really been able to put my finger on, that I feel would have brought the movie up to the next level. It may have been the script, however, the acting wasn't bad and the visuals were very good.

I'm not sure how well this movie is going to do at the box office. It's no Super 8. I had no problems with the mixing of the genres, since I love westerns and sci-fi, which made it easy to suspend my disbelief.

Spoiler

Old 08-01-2011, 11:20 PM   #4641
Groundhog
Coordinator

Captain America - 7/10
I hoped for better, but it was still enjoyable, if a little long. Tommy Lee Jones definitely bumped it up a grade or two, even if he was just being Tommy Lee Jones. I usually rate Hugo Weaving but he was the weak link here, though the issue was more the character he was playing than his acting IMO.

Black Death - 6.5/10
Thanks to Game of Thrones I'm on a bit of a Sean Bean kick, and he plays the gruff warrior in this film pretty well, although with a good dash of dark, medieval piety. I think this was a pretty solid enough idea for a movie, especially given the main theme is religion. It handles it evenly enough, and it was pretty enjoyable in parts, but I thought it came off looking a little cheap/low-budget at times to its detriment. The epilogue was an unexpected turn to the tale, but felt a little tacked on and out of place. Definitely worth watching if you enjoy the medieval setting.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:38 PM   #4642
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Source Code- 8/10 Skeptical about any movie that would feature Jake Gyllenhaal, but it was actually really good. Plus I really like Vera Fermiga. Don't know if they will ever make a sequel, but I'd be into it.
Old 08-04-2011, 04:18 PM   #4643
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Source Code- 8/10 Skeptical about any movie that would feature Jake Gyllenhaal, but it was actually really good. Plus I really like Vera Fermiga. Don't know if they will ever make a sequel, but I'd be into it.

I enjoyed the movie till the end. Just seemed like a cop out.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 05:58 PM   #4644
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Blood Simple - 9/10 - Have the Coen brothers ever made a bad film? I submit that they have not.

FUCK EA
Old 08-04-2011, 08:08 PM   #4645
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post
Blood Simple - 9/10 - Have the Coen brothers ever made a bad film? I submit that they have not.

i submit that you have not seen the ladykillers
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 07:55 PM   #4646
Landshark44
High School Varsity

I just took my boys to see "Rise of the Planet of the Apes".....

We all thought they could have spread the action sequences out a little. A little too much plot in the first hour, and then everything cool happens in the last 15 minutes. It was OK, I was kind of hoping for better..
Landshark44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 02:33 AM   #4647
Groundhog
Coordinator

Rise of the Planet of the Apes - 9/10

Gotta disagree, I loved this. I'm a huge fan of the original movies, and this far exceeded my expectations. Loved the nods to the original films as well.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:04 AM   #4648
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
i submit that you have not seen the ladykillers

Ok. I will agree it wasn't on par with the rest of their work.. But it wasn't total shit either. Nice submission though, it was forgettable enough that I had forgotten it.

FUCK EA
Old 08-07-2011, 07:18 AM   #4649
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Rise of the Planet of the Apes - 9/10

Gotta disagree, I loved this. I'm a huge fan of the original movies, and this far exceeded my expectations. Loved the nods to the original films as well.

I'm with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 10:44 AM   #4650
JediKooter
Coordinator

Rise of the Planet of the Apes - 7/10

Not a bad movie. Not a great movie though. The movie earned a lower score due to the special effects. Long story short, too video game-ish than natural looking, in regards to how the apes moved.