Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-08-2017, 12:41 PM   #4601
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Trump Asks Entire Senate To Clear Out Of Chamber So He Can Speak To Comey Alone

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 06-08-2017 at 12:42 PM.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 12:44 PM   #4602
Logan
Head Coach

I hovered over the link just to be sure.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 12:44 PM   #4603
molson
General Manager

Had to click just to make sure it was the Onion because really I just can't tell anymore.

Edit: Beaten to the punch by Logan.

Last edited by molson : 06-08-2017 at 12:44 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 12:49 PM   #4604
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Anyway, here is the damning quite by Comey about Sessions:

Quote:
Our judgment, as I recall, is that he was very close to and inevitably going to recuse himself for a variety of reasons. We also were aware of facts that I can't discuss in an open setting that would make his continued engagement in a Russia-related investigation problematic. So we were convinced — in fact, I think we'd already heard that the career people were recommending that he recuse himself, that he was not going to be in contact with Russia-related matters much longer.
Old 06-08-2017, 01:58 PM   #4605
mckerney
Coordinator

So it turns out that maybe being "really, really smart" isn't a good substitute for intelligence briefings.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 02:48 PM   #4606
Jas_lov
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragone View Post
Did Mccain have a stroke on national television? or some heavy burtations?

Apparently he was up past his bedtime watching baseball.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 04:25 PM   #4607
RainMaker
General Manager

Interesting hearing. Comes down to whether you believe a guy under oath or a pathological liar.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 04:34 PM   #4608
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Interesting hearing. Comes down to whether you believe a guy under oath or a pathological liar.

It's not lying. He's just a non-PC, shoot from the cuff, regular ole red-blooded 'Murican male.
Old 06-08-2017, 04:46 PM   #4609
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post
Just in case anyone else, like me, thought this was a joke...

STATEMENT BY SENATOR JOHN McCAIN ON SENATE INTELLIGENCE COMMITTEE HEARING QUESTIONS - Press Releases - United States Senator John McCain

Quote:
I get the sense from Twitter that my line of questioning today went over people’s heads. Maybe going forward I shouldn’t stay up late watching the Diamondbacks night games.
Old 06-08-2017, 05:24 PM   #4610
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragone View Post
Did Mccain have a stroke on national television? or some heavy burtations?
Awesome callback.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 05:49 PM   #4611
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post

I suppose at least it's better than claiming he ate a big bowl of chili before the hearing.
Old 06-08-2017, 05:50 PM   #4612
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

One of my friends has started calling this debacle The Trump Presi-dumb-cy.. I can understand why. :/
Old 06-08-2017, 05:59 PM   #4613
Drake
assmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
It's not lying. He's just a non-PC, shoot from the cuff, regular ole red-blooded 'Murican male.

I caught Limbaugh spinning this argument today...and all I could think was that he's arguing that this guy is incapable of rising to the level of professional communication expected in his job and as part of his professional duties.

In my line of work, we call that incompetence.

Limbaugh's best defense was attempting to turn incompetence into a virtue. It would have sounded more convincing if he'd done it in a Jimmy Stewart drawl.

(I get what he's trying to do. It's another attempt to get people to accept the billionaire as just another regular joe just like "us". All those politicians and lawyers with their high-falutin' words and insider lingo are part of the problem. They're the folks rigging the system against us normal folk, and he's going to bust up that system. I get it. I can't believe that so many people would fall for the dumbass idea that a Manhattan socialite billionaire is just one of "us" instead of one of "them", but that does appear to be the current state of America. Snake oil futures are going through the roof.)
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 06:34 PM   #4614
RainMaker
General Manager

Just another regular Joe with a Manhattan penthouse and furniture made of gold.

I'll give them credit for turning an East Coast limousine liberal into the hero of the rural working man. They found some good marks.
Old 06-08-2017, 07:05 PM   #4615
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I get that the GOP congress isn't going to see this as big news, but when the President repeatedly asks the FBI director to drop an investigation into his administration and then fires the FBI director because he wouldn't drop it, should shock us. That's as clear as can be that the admin is putting itself above the law.

Now, don't mistake this as an angle. It's not. I'm genuinely unsure.
Does the POTUS have the constitutional legal authority to direct the FBI director to end an investigation, and if so , would failing to do so amount to insubordination.

The more I read on this I'm coming down on the side of Trump is a sleeve ball, unethical tactician, but completely legally in bounds.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 07:17 PM   #4616
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
Does the POTUS have the constitutional legal authority to direct the FBI director to end an investigation, and if so , would failing to do so amount to insubordination.

The more I read on this I'm coming down on the side of Trump is a sleeve ball, unethical tactician, but completely legally in bounds.

Certainly firing the FBI director isn't criminal in and of itself, and obstruction is a high bar. I'm willing to accept that there isn't a criminal case regarding Comey.

But, it isn't right and the rule of law can't survive if we don't enforce some norms on the President. I don't expect the GOP to impeach yet, but they damn well could at least muster some outrage so as to let Trump know that there are some limits on his authority. As long as they keep defending him, he'll continue to be an habitual line stepper.
Old 06-08-2017, 07:21 PM   #4617
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Considering when Nixon tried to end an investigation by having the person fired, he resigned two weeks later.

Saturday Night Massacre - Wikipedia
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 07:29 PM   #4618
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:

I've seen different viewpoints from different lawyers. It seems like a gray area. Trump has the power to dictate what the FBI does and doesn't investigate. But if it gets into covering up a crime he would be doing something illegal. So I guess the question would be whether his conversations with Comey was to better utilize the FBI resources or if it was to cover up a crime.

The issue Nixon ran into was he instructed people to lie which was obstruction of justice.

Regardless of any of this, Trump can just pardon Flynn and only Congress has the power to enforce any laws on the President.
Old 06-08-2017, 07:34 PM   #4619
RainMaker
General Manager

One thing I'm wondering is if the Flynn stuff had not come out, would the sanctions on Russia be removed by now? All the investigation stuff aside, it seems that the biggest thing to come out of this is it making it tough politically to remove those sanctions.

Also this was an interesting note that was overlooked. Why are so many people meeting with Russia and lying about it?

Comey told senators about possible third Sessions-Russia meeting: report | TheHill
Old 06-08-2017, 07:37 PM   #4620
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:

Lawful acts can still bring obstruction of justice charges if the motive is corrupt.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 05:16 AM   #4621
Ben E Lou

Old 06-09-2017, 08:41 AM   #4622
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Read this thread from David Simon, creator of FOFC ATF The Wire. It's fascinating

David Simon Thread on the Comey/Trump thing
Old 06-09-2017, 10:21 AM   #4623
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
Read this thread from David Simon, creator of FOFC ATF The Wire. It's fascinating

David Simon Thread on the Comey/Trump thing
Here's the thing, and it's mentioned in one of the responses:

"David is saying the fact that Trump showed ZERO curiosity in the investigation into Russia reveals that Trump knows exactly what happened."

For a normal person with some level of intellectual curiosity, I'd agree with him, but we're talking about Donald Trump. I think it's fully possible is that all he cares about is that "I won. LOOK AT THE MAP." I have a hard time imagining that he cares about Russian interference into our elections. It's fully possible that he didn't ask not because he knows, but simply because he doesn't give a damn.

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 06-09-2017 at 11:20 AM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 11:12 AM   #4624
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Trump still hasn't figured out that "liar" and "leaker" are contradicting accusations.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 12:19 PM   #4625
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Trump still hasn't figured out that "liar" and "leaker" are contradicting accusations.

It isn't that he hasn't figured it out. It's that he does not care. And he knows that his base does not either. Just keep saying bad things about your opponents louder than they say bad things about you.

It's worked well for him so far.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 03:05 PM   #4626
bronconick
College Starter

Trump claims he's 100% willing to testify under oath.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 03:16 PM   #4627
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
Trump claims he's 100% willing to testify under oath.

Which is pointless. In his head, making a statement IS telling the truth regardless of what is said in a statement.

Under oath = demanding a truthful statement does not mean anything in his mind.
Old 06-09-2017, 03:52 PM   #4628
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

They arent mutually exclusive thoughts.
Even if (probably should read Even though?) Trump lied, if Comey intentionally leaked info to a 3rd party to get it out it is still a leak.

2 wrongs dont make a right and such?

But who am I kidding...burn him at the stake. Rip his fawking head off.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 04:04 PM   #4629
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
They arent mutually exclusive thoughts.
Even if (probably should read Even though?) Trump lied, if Comey intentionally leaked info to a 3rd party to get it out it is still a leak.

2 wrongs dont make a right and such?

But who am I kidding...burn him at the stake. Rip his fawking head off.

Yeah you didn't get what I was saying at all. I wasn't talking about Trump himself lying. Trump is calling Comey both a liar and a leaker. If he's lying about something, then it's not a leak. If he's guilty of leaking, then it's not a lie.

Old 06-09-2017, 04:17 PM   #4630
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Yeah you didn't get what I was saying at all. I wasn't talking about Trump himself lying. Trump is calling Comey both a liar and a leaker. If he's lying about something, then it's not a leak. If he's guilty of leaking, then it's not a lie.
Ummmm...your argument assumes that Trump's statements need to have logical consistency. In TrumpWorld, it's perfectly reasonable to assume that the only truthful thing Comey said is that he's a leaker, and everything else he said was a lie.
Old 06-09-2017, 04:27 PM   #4631
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421
Trump is calling Comey both a liar and a leaker. If he's lying about something, then it's not a leak. If he's guilty of leaking, then it's not a lie.

Are we implementing handwavium here to dismiss the possibility that Trump was calling him a liar on some subjects and a leaker on others?

I trust Comey about 8 bajillion times more than Trump, who I wouldn't believe if he told me the sun is warm. But I also take a dim view of the leak and think it really undermines his credibility. And while I'm on the subject, Rubio was an absolute joke as well, even beyond McCain IMO. Nothing wrong with the president asking the FBI Director for loyalty? GTFO.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 04:46 PM   #4632
digamma
Torchbearer

I agree there's a world where you could present a nuanced argument that Comey lied about some things but was a truthful leaker about others. I don't think our Predisent is all that into nuance.

Rubio went from Little Marco to, Here, Marco, here boy, good boy!

Last edited by digamma : 06-09-2017 at 04:46 PM.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 05:01 PM   #4633
cuervo72
Head Coach

I must need to catch up...what was the actual leak again? Comey relaying a conversation he had with the president, after he was already fired? Are all conversations with a president considered privileged information?
Old 06-09-2017, 05:09 PM   #4634
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
Are we implementing handwavium here to dismiss the possibility that Trump was calling him a liar on some subjects and a leaker on others?

I don't dismiss the possibility, but I don't give him that much credit since this isn't the first time he's used this contradicting argument and I think it's more likely he's just throwing multiple things at the wall that don't fit together. From an optics standpoint, the "liar" attacks are a much better way to go than the "leaker" attacks.

Old 06-09-2017, 05:12 PM   #4635
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72
what was the actual leak again? Comey relaying a conversation he had with the president, after he was already fired? Are all conversations with a president considered privileged information?

It's not about whether it's priviledged(at least, not to me). Comey had every right to release the information, but when you're a deposed FBI Director(who is before Congress testifying about all this precisely because of that role) you either put the information out directly or you keep your mouth shut. You don't put it out through a third party to manipulate things, which is his own justification for it.
Old 06-09-2017, 06:10 PM   #4636
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

If you tell someone about a conversation you yourself had, that's not a leak, that's just talking.
Old 06-09-2017, 06:13 PM   #4637
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Ok. If I call it a cowardly, underhanded, and manipulative release, is that better than calling it a leak? I agree it's not the right word to use, but I think my point stands.
Old 06-09-2017, 06:47 PM   #4638
Ben E Lou

I don't get the impression that he merely told someone about a conversation he had. I'd have to re-watch the testimony to be certain, but my recollection is that he gave the information to his friend specifically for him to leak it. And to be clear, as long as it's legal (and I'll hazard a guess that Comey knew he was on solid legal ground there,) I have *no* problem with someone putting out information through a third party to manipulate things. That's just politics. Once Comey was fired, he was no longer bound to be a-political.
Old 06-09-2017, 08:48 PM   #4639
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
It's not about whether it's priviledged(at least, not to me). Comey had every right to release the information, but when you're a deposed FBI Director(who is before Congress testifying about all this precisely because of that role) you either put the information out directly or you keep your mouth shut. You don't put it out through a third party to manipulate things, which is his own justification for it.

You do whatever you want. He's a private citizen who was being trashed by people. He has every right to tell who he wants what he wants.
Old 06-09-2017, 09:12 PM   #4640
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
I don't get the impression that he merely told someone about a conversation he had. I'd have to re-watch the testimony to be certain, but my recollection is that he gave the information to his friend specifically for him to leak it.

I guess it's the connotation of "leak."

"Comey Investigation: He Had Friend Leak Memos to Media | Time.com"

They were his memos. Where else would people think they were coming from? I mean, how is that all that different from having a press secretary, PR firm, or lawyer release a statement?
Old 06-11-2017, 08:51 AM   #4641
mckerney
Coordinator

Donald Trump's state visit to Britain put on hold | US news | The Guardian

Quote:
Donald Trump has told Theresa May in a phone call he does not want to go ahead with a state visit to Britain until the British public supports him coming.

The US president said he did not want to come if there were large-scale protests and his remarks in effect put the visit on hold for some time.

What a little snowflake.
Old 06-11-2017, 10:18 AM   #4642
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post

If only it was that easy to get him to resign
Old 06-11-2017, 11:56 AM   #4643
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:

Maybe he'll just go to Saudi Arabia over and over where protesting is illegal.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 01:25 PM   #4644
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:

Then again:

Donald Trump: 'No change' to UK state visit plans, says No 10 - BBC News
Old 06-11-2017, 01:29 PM   #4645
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Trump's approval rating is less than 40%. Maybe he'll stay away from America until Americans support him.
Old 06-11-2017, 01:30 PM   #4646
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
Maybe he'll just go to Saudi Arabia over and over where protesting is illegal.

Yeah, protesters can be beheaded and literally crucified. Sounds like a great country to have on the UN Human Rights Council!
Old 06-12-2017, 10:59 AM   #4647
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Trump today:

Quote:
Never has there been a president....with few exceptions...whose passed more legislation, whose done more things that I have

By next week 70% of conservatives will say this is true.
Old 06-12-2017, 11:38 AM   #4648
Kodos
Resident Alien

Has there been anything that passed both houses and got signed by Trump yet?
Old 06-12-2017, 11:44 AM   #4649
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

They renamed a post office in Tennessee.
Old 06-12-2017, 11:44 AM   #4650
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Yeah, protesters can be beheaded and literally crucified.

Given some of the crap I've seen, they may be onto something here frankly.