Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-31-2017, 01:39 AM   #2251
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
The Big-10 might be good, but for sure, the PAC-12 is awful. Three coaches, who made the postseason, were fired.

Wait a sec. Mora, Graham and... ?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 07:39 AM   #2252
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Or should I say SuckEC? hehehehehehe

Eh, haters will hate.

True we are currently at 1-3 and our losses were from 7-6 teams.

We've got 5 bowl games on Jan 1 so let's have it play out before we jump to any conclusions.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 08:38 AM   #2253
pbot
H.S. Freshman Team

For the B1G fans - would you rather see the B1G go undefeated in bowl games this year, or go 7-1 with UM as the only loss?

8-0 is nice, but hollow with no team in the playoff. Seeing 3rd/4th place Jim come up small again might just be worth it.
pbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 08:45 AM   #2254
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Eh, haters will hate.

True we are currently at 1-3 and our losses were from 7-6 teams.

We've got 5 bowl games on Jan 1 so let's have it play out before we jump to any conclusions.

Yeah I'm far from an sec apologist but i think the sec could very well go 4-1 tomorrow and no worse than 3-2.

I think miss st and lsu are locks.
I think Michigan is a lock.
I CAN'T see both sec teams losing in the CFP but could see both winning. I think both off those games are toss ups that could go either way, though you can best bet however they go will be construed as a memorandum by one side.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 09:19 AM   #2255
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbot View Post
For the B1G fans - would you rather see the B1G go undefeated in bowl games this year, or go 7-1 with UM as the only loss?

8-0 is nice, but hollow with no team in the playoff. Seeing 3rd/4th place Jim come up small again might just be worth it.

I think it's hard to call 8-0 "hollow" in any way, even if we were talking something extreme like #3 B1G vs #6 ACC or midrange G5.

I don't personally care about the overall record at all. The B1G wasn't great this year which all but the biggest homers would admit, but the record as well as the wins in these bigger matchups sure are nice to throw in the face of the few extreme idiots out there.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 09:27 AM   #2256
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Wait a sec. Mora, Graham and... ?

I should say, left
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 10:03 AM   #2257
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
I think it's hard to call 8-0 "hollow" in any way, even if we were talking something extreme like #3 B1G vs #6 ACC or midrange G5.

I don't personally care about the overall record at all. The B1G wasn't great this year which all but the biggest homers would admit, but the record as well as the wins in these bigger matchups sure are nice to throw in the face of the few extreme idiots out there.

I disagree with this. Was the B1G average or was it just good from top to bottom?

The SOS rankings have 6 B1G teams in the top 25. The SEC had 4. The ACC had 7.

Maybe the B1G abd ACC were stronger up and down the conference. And now we see that the B1G pushed the ACC around a little this bowl season.

Im not sure I buy the narrative the that B1G is not really that "great".

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 10:09 AM   #2258
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:

I know we are Big Ten homers but...... no team in the playoff. Whether you or I think OSU should have been or not, they aren't. To me, a "great" conference would have a team in the playoff. I'm just happy with the Big Ten ruining Moonie's gambling. I hope his posting his picks wasn't intended as advice.....
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 10:11 AM   #2259
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:

I think I covered this:

Quote:
The B1G wasn't great this year which all but the biggest homers would admit

And you really said it yourself. The conference was good top to bottom but the B1G didn't have a really great team up top like they've had plenty of times in the past.

Last edited by Logan : 12-31-2017 at 10:13 AM.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 10:52 AM   #2260
tarcone
Coordinator

In the playoff scenario, the B1G is being punished for having a really good, balanced conference. Isnt that the best possible thing to have? Isnt it better for the conference, as a whole, to be more balanced on the good side?
Or is it better to be like the SEC this year and have 2 really good teams and one great team and this gets them 2 playoff qualifiers?

Old 12-31-2017, 12:03 PM   #2261
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
In the playoff scenario, the B1G is being punished for having a really good, balanced conference. Isnt that the best possible thing to have? Isnt it better for the conference, as a whole, to be more balanced on the good side?
Or is it better to be like the SEC this year and have 2 really good teams and one great team and this gets them 2 playoff qualifiers?

I think in the Power 5 conference, the expectation is winning or seriously contending for a championship.

Having a top 4 team contending is to be expected, top 2 team for the championship is better. Everything else is secondary. I don't think most fans care about a "balanced" (e.g. not good enough) conference if they are not contending.

Now you may say OSU deserved to be in the top 4 but that is a different discussion.

Last edited by Edward64 : 12-31-2017 at 12:04 PM.
Old 12-31-2017, 12:12 PM   #2262
HerRealName
College Prospect

Here's a chance for me to look stupid tomorrow. I'm going with an Oklahoma - Clemson final. I think Georgia gets beaten soundly while the other game is closer.
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 12:13 PM   #2263
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
I think in the Power 5 conference, the expectation is winning or seriously contending for a championship.

Having a top 4 team contending is to be expected, top 2 team for the championship is better. Everything else is secondary. I don't think most fans care about a "balanced" (e.g. not good enough) conference if they are not contending.

Now you may say OSU deserved to be in the top 4 but that is a different discussion.

I wont say tOSU deserved to be in it. But I will say, if they had played Mercer instead of Iowa they would be in. The B1G plays a 9 game conference schedule, while everyone else plays an 8.
Iowa is a pretty good team. Much better than a Mercer type. And tOSU would have blown out a Mercer.

I guess my beef is with the inequality of scheduling. It almost seems like the B1G is being punished for playing more power 5 teams. And are in a conference that is pretty deep. There were no real pushovers outside of Illinois and Rutgers.

Old 12-31-2017, 12:14 PM   #2264
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerRealName View Post
Here's a chance for me to look stupid tomorrow. I'm going with an Oklahoma - Clemson final. I think Georgia gets beaten soundly while the other game is closer.

Im with you. this is my hope. And prediction. But I have a slight bias.

Old 12-31-2017, 12:20 PM   #2265
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:

TBH, GA worries me also. I would want GA to win it all and tired of Alabama's dominance in the SEC.
Old 12-31-2017, 01:55 PM   #2266
Kodos
Resident Alien

Can't stop laughing at Moonie.
Old 12-31-2017, 02:06 PM   #2267
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Then again, the PacWhatever seemed relatively balanced this year ... but has kind of been exposed as that being a product of it simply not being very good. Point being, balance is kind of a tricky thing in terms of perception.
Old 12-31-2017, 07:32 PM   #2268
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
...the PacWhatever...

“PacWhatever”? Don’t we at least get credit for doing our math correctly?
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 07:49 PM   #2269
MrBug708
Head Coach

The SEC was smart for not adding in numbers, but then again, those are graduate level classes at most institutions
Old 12-31-2017, 09:22 PM   #2270
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
“PacWhatever”? Don’t we at least get credit for doing our math correctly?

It's a personal holdover from the round of expansions.

I virtually always say Pac10 (cause nothing else sounds right), my kid almost always corrects me, so it's become the PacWhatever around here
Old 12-31-2017, 10:29 PM   #2271
MrBug708
Head Coach

No PAC-8?
Old 12-31-2017, 10:33 PM   #2272
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
No PAC-8?

Dammit, I ain't Bucc
Old 01-01-2018, 09:10 AM   #2273
Edward64
Head Coach

AR hires A&M DC Chavis to be our DC. Not sure if its that significant of an upgrade for us (or for Chavis TBH).

https://www.si.com/college-football/...or-john-chavis
Quote:
Veteran SEC defensive coordinator John Chavis is expected to become the next DC at Arkansas, sources have told SI, but there are still some details that need to be sorted out. New Razorbacks coach Chad Morris is working to fill out his staff after coming over from SMU.

The 61-year-old Chavis has spent three seasons at Texas A&M after six years at LSU in the same capacity following a 14-year run as Tennessee’s defensive coordinator. In 2011 Chavis won the Broyles Assistant Coach of the Year award while at LSU.

The Aggies ranked No. 68 in yards per play allowed. They ranked No. 51 and No. 56 in his other two seasons at A&M. Arkansas ranked No. 116 in that category this season.

The Aggies did make a lot of negative plays under Chavis, ranking No. 31 in TFLs in 2017 after ranking No. 7 and No. 3 in the nation in his first two seasons in College Station.

In his six seasons in Baton Rouge, the Tigers’ defense finish in the top 12 nationally in total defense four times (2010, 2011, 2012 and 2014).
Old 01-01-2018, 09:39 AM   #2274
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
No PAC-8?

I'm a Pac-Dinosuar
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 09:40 AM   #2275
GrantDawg

Quote:
The SEC was smart for not adding in numbers, but then again, those are graduate level classes at most institutions

We can take off our shoes to count with the best of them.
Old 01-01-2018, 09:43 AM   #2276
GrantDawg

Quote:

Yeah. I love my dawgs, and I am still all in on wanting to see the second national championship in my life time. But I am so scared you are right.

What I want to see....UGA rolls into Atlanta, and beats Alabama on the largest stage. The apprentice beats the master story line would be sweet.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 01-01-2018 at 09:44 AM.
Old 01-01-2018, 09:48 AM   #2277
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

I got the Dawgs 45-28 today while the Tide win in a tight defensive battle.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 10:20 AM   #2278
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
I got the Dawgs 45-28 today while the Tide win in a tight defensive battle.

From your mouth....

This is my thoughts on the game. I will admit I cannot really break down Oklahoma, so maybe my pessimism comes from ignorance (or just the general pessimism that comes from being a sports fan in this area all my life). I can give a good assessment of the Dawg's weaknesses that worries me.

First is Fromm. He is one of the most football savvy freshmen I have ever seen in the position. He makes good decisions, and he doesn't have that ego that you often see in highly recruited quarterbacks. He does not try to win the game with his arm when the better options are run or simple passes. He takes shots down field when it's there, but doesn't force things. BUT, he also hasn't had to win games with his arm. I haven't seen any evidence that if the running game isn't clicking, he can take control. Plus, he just seems to really not be able to throw in the middle of field. He is fantastic throwing to the sidelines, and throwing jump balls to tall receivers. When he throws to the middle of the field short to medium range, the throws are often errant. Almost all of his interceptions (though there aren't many) comes from really ugly throws over the middle.

Second, lack of pass rush, especially off the corners. The sack totals are very low. It is very surprising considering Lorenzo Carter is a physical freak, and Bellamy is not far behind him. They both are good at getting free and hassling a QB, but they just don't get him on the ground enough.

So the question, can Georgia keep Mayfield from scoring early and often down field? The closest QB Georgia faced this season to Baker was Drew Lock. He torched the Dawgs early in that game, scoring 21 points in the first half on touchdowns mostly off down field throws. Georgia still out scored them in the half, though. Then they just ground the defense down.

Baker Mayfield is much better than Lock, and he has a much better team around him. If Oklahoma gets up early, and their defense can keep the Dawgs from long time consuming drives to the end zone, I really don't see how Georgia even keeps it close.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 01-01-2018 at 10:21 AM.
Old 01-01-2018, 10:39 AM   #2279
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
I really don't see how Georgia even keeps it close.

Well, your advantage is in having a far superior defense. Oklahoma has a historically bad defense for a top 5 team. They did play much improved over the past few games however I think the balanced Georgia attack will give them problems again. It is just nice in games like this to know you have a defense that can stop the other team with the game on the line.

I would disagree on who has the better team around them. Georgia is the better team while Oklahoma has the best player out there.

On paper I see an excellent offense with a well below average defense facing a team with an well above average offense and defense.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 01-01-2018 at 10:43 AM.
Old 01-01-2018, 11:04 AM   #2280
GrantDawg

Quote:
Well, your advantage is in having a far superior defense. Oklahoma has a historically bad defense for a top 5 team. They did play much improved over the past few games however I think the balanced Georgia attack will give them problems again. It is just nice in games like this to know you have a defense that can stop the other team with the game on the line.

I would disagree on who has the better team around them. Georgia is the better team while Oklahoma has the best player out there.

On paper I see an excellent offense with a well below average defense facing a team with an well above average offense and defense.

Context. I said "if", not that it will definitely happen that Oklahoma will go up big early. It is something I can see happen, not that it definitely will.

If Georgia can make regular stops early, while grinding yardage on the ground, they will win. If they can force mistakes from Mayfield and capitalize on them, they win big. I think that this might be a close game, and really Mayfield is good enough to take them over the top, but then Georgia's defense is good enough to make the stand they need. I fear a loss, even a blow out because I can see how it can happen. I am hoping that I'm just being a well-conditioned pessimist.

Btw, I was saying Mayfield had a better team around him than Drew Lock. I think Georgia may have the better team as a more complete team than Oklahoma. But it is close.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 01-01-2018 at 11:05 AM.
Old 01-01-2018, 11:26 AM   #2281
tarcone
Coordinator

I think it is hard comparing games. Teams in college really progress throughout the year. I use Iowa as an example. In years past (not this year), they always looked terrible in the beginning of the season, but at the end they were completely different.
Also, with such a long lay off, it comes down to preperation and game planning. Who is the better coach? I think that is a bigger factor in these games than anything else.

Georgia and Oklahoma is going to be a real good one. Who is the better coach?

Old 01-01-2018, 11:40 AM   #2282
tarcone
Coordinator

Im thinking ND/LSU will be the most boring game of the day

Old 01-01-2018, 11:41 AM   #2283
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Im thinking ND/LSU will be the most boring game of the day

They are going to have a tough time reaching the bar Michigan/South Carolina are going to set...
Old 01-01-2018, 11:43 AM   #2284
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

I am really intrigued with this UCF/Auburn matchup. The Peach Bowl did well in providing us with a unique game.
Old 01-01-2018, 11:45 AM   #2285
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
They are going to have a tough time reaching the bar Michigan/South Carolina are going to set...

Yeah, this was my close 2nd for sure

Old 01-01-2018, 11:46 AM   #2286
JPhillips
General Manager

The UCF punter is a big boy.
Old 01-01-2018, 11:46 AM   #2287
tarcone
Coordinator

UCF a little to amped up

Old 01-01-2018, 12:00 PM   #2288
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

- On the B1G bowl success, without taking anything away from them, and I will readily admit they have done better than I expected, but you can't discount how not having a playoff team affects that record. Every other conference is bumping down a selection (sec bumping down 2) because of playoff participation. This creates favorable seeding matchup for the B1G.

- Regarding Oklahoma vs UGA...I think UGA wins this one convincingly. Mayfield is talented but doesn't handle adversity well. OU has a much better OL than when they played in the Orange bowl 2 years ago, but I still don't think they've seen a DL like UGA will roll out tonight. I think UGA runs the ball consistently and wins a 7-10 pointer.
Old 01-01-2018, 12:07 PM   #2289
HerRealName
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
- On the B1G bowl success, without taking anything away from them, and I will readily admit they have done better than I expected, but you can't discount how not having a playoff team affects that record. Every other conference is bumping down a selection (sec bumping down 2) because of playoff participation. This creates favorable seeding matchup for the B1G.

- Regarding Oklahoma vs UGA...I think UGA wins this one convincingly. Mayfield is talented but doesn't handle adversity well. OU has a much better OL than when they played in the Orange bowl 2 years ago, but I still don't think they've seen a DL like UGA will roll out tonight. I think UGA runs the ball consistently and wins a 7-10 pointer.

On your first point, I've heard that before and I don't think it's accurate. Let's say OSU makes the playoff. Wisconsin still plays in a NY6 and all bowl matchups are the same. Obviously Ohio State would have had an uphill battle winning their playoff game but having two teams in NY6 games negates the playoff difference.

On your second point, the Ohio State defensive line is as good or better than Georgia's. I think Georgia is basically Michigan with a better RB. We will see though.
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 12:31 PM   #2290
Edward64
Head Coach

South Carolina is lucky they are only down by 3 at this point.

Their offense and special teams have sucked so far.
Old 01-01-2018, 12:32 PM   #2291
Edward64
Head Coach

I wish they could single thread these games more. You've got 3 bowl games going on at the same time.
Old 01-01-2018, 12:58 PM   #2292
GrantDawg

Quote:
On your second point, the Ohio State defensive line is as good or better than Georgia's. I think Georgia is basically Michigan with a better RB. We will see though.

Just a tiny correction. Better three (possibly 4) running backs.
Old 01-01-2018, 01:17 PM   #2293
Kodos
Resident Alien

Boy, the Big Ten are embarrassing themselves.

Last edited by Kodos : 01-01-2018 at 01:23 PM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 01:25 PM   #2294
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Boy, the Big Ten are embarrassing themselves.

What do you expect from like the 12th worst conference in the world?

Old 01-01-2018, 01:27 PM   #2295
tarcone
Coordinator

Honestly, I dont think Michigan has played all that well, either.

How bad does it look for the SEC if Auburn loses? Makes the playoffs a little bit of a sham.

Old 01-01-2018, 01:32 PM   #2296
tarcone
Coordinator

3-0 at half is about what I thought ND/LSU would be. Yawn.

Old 01-01-2018, 01:38 PM   #2297
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Honestly, I dont think Michigan has played all that well, either.

How bad does it look for the SEC if Auburn loses? Makes the playoffs a little bit of a sham.

I tried telling CM last week, sc vs Michigan was the lock of the year. It's rare when I hide my gambling activity from my wife, but I did this one because she would have had a panic attack.
Old 01-01-2018, 01:42 PM   #2298
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
On your first point, I've heard that before and I don't think it's accurate. Let's say OSU makes the playoff. Wisconsin still plays in a NY6 and all bowl matchups are the same. Obviously Ohio State would have had an uphill battle winning their playoff game but having two teams in NY6 games negates the playoff difference.

I disagree on the relative DL comparisons.
Time will tell. OSU signs highly regarded DL prospects for sure. I just don't think they evaluate and select as well as some others.
Old 01-01-2018, 01:47 PM   #2299
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
I tried telling CM last week, sc vs Michigan was the lock of the year. It's rare when I hide my gambling activity from my wife, but I did this one because she would have had a panic attack.

And if Michigan keeps fumbling the damn ball away...i might myself.
Old 01-01-2018, 02:31 PM   #2300
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Just a tiny correction. Better three (possibly 4) running backs.

Much as is grieves me to acknowledge it, also a better QB.