Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-23-2010, 07:40 PM   #1
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Rocker Bret Michaels critical after brain hemorrhage

Bret Michaels's health has taken a turn for the worse, PEOPLE has learned: After an excruciating headache late Thursday night, the star was rushed to an undisclosed hospital where doctors discovered he suffered a massive subarachnoid hemorrhage (bleeding at the base of his brain stem), according to a source close to the situation.

Michaels, 47, is currently in critical condition. "After several CAT scans, MRIs and an angiogram, [doctors] decided to keep Michaels in the ICU and are running several tests to determine the cause. [It] will be touch and go for the next few days while he is under intense observation," the source says.

Reps confirm this report is accurate, and tell PEOPLE, "We will have no additional information until further testing is done."

The rocker's latest hospital visit follows his emergency appendectomy in San Antonio, Texas, on April 12. There is no word yet whether this new development is related to the rocker's recent appendectomy or to his diabetes.

After his appendectomy, Michaels remained in the hospital under his doctors' care – then transferred to a rehab facility specializing in diabetic patients.

As he was recovering, Michaels – who was still in the running to win this season of NBC's Celebrity Apprentice – seemed to be in good spirits and updated fans on his progress.

JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 07:43 PM   #2
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Wow, that's crazy, I was always a big fan of Poison and like the way he has resurrected his career through his reality shows. Hope he pulls through.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 07:51 PM   #3
RainMaker
General Manager

That's real sad, he seemed like a decent guy. I know diabetics are much more susceptible to brain hemorrhages.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 07:52 PM   #4
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Wow, that's crazy, I was always a big fan of Poison and like the way he has resurrected his career through his reality shows. Hope he pulls through.

+1
cougarfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 07:54 PM   #5
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
That's real sad, he seemed like a decent guy. I know diabetics are much more susceptible to brain hemorrhages.

I wonder how much his partying have impacted his health, considering his diabetes.

Last edited by Galaxy : 04-23-2010 at 07:54 PM.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 08:10 PM   #6
RainMaker
General Manager

I'm not sure how that stuff impacts what happened to him. While I'm sure he had his fun, he doesn't seem like a guy who was really into it anymore. Every interview I saw of him he seemed really composed and sober.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 08:14 PM   #7
stevew
Hall Of Famer

hopefully he gave the right deity enough face time or it's going to be a long afterlife.
stevew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 08:16 PM   #8
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
I'm not sure how that stuff impacts what happened to him. While I'm sure he had his fun, he doesn't seem like a guy who was really into it anymore. Every interview I saw of him he seemed really composed and sober.

I just remember watching the first year of his Rock of Love show when it look liked he partied quite a bit with the women.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 08:36 PM   #9
Philliesfan980
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
hopefully he gave the right deity enough face time or it's going to be a long afterlife.

I'm not a huge fan of his life, but why do you say this? Sure, he partied a lot, but he wasn't a deceitful person or a criminal.
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 09:31 PM   #10
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

I'm really broken up about this

/sarcasm
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 09:53 PM   #11
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

TMZ reporting that he's awake, stable, and in good spirits.
Old 04-23-2010, 10:02 PM   #12
Comey
College Starter

He, and Poison, are from my home area (I grew up in Camp Hill, they're from Mechanicsburg). How a band like Poison managed to come from a place like Mechanicsburg, I have no idea.

I hope he pulls through.

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 10:34 PM   #13
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post

/sarcasm

Wow, way to be a total dick.

This is a guy who by all accounts is a pretty good dude, who has kids and was on the apprentice to earn money for diabetes.

Why post anything at all? Way to be a total douche.
Old 04-23-2010, 11:28 PM   #14
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:

This is a guy who by all accounts is a pretty good dude, who has kids and was on the apprentice to earn money for diabetes.

+1

I would say more, but that would be extra mean.
Old 04-24-2010, 12:37 AM   #15
BYU 14
Coordinator

Hoping he makes it through OK, I echo others sentiments in that he seems like a pretty down to earth guy and seems to have toned it down over recent years.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 12:50 AM   #16
Kodos
Resident Alien

Hope he pulls through.

Toddzilla: You may not respect his music or like him, but why be a douche?

Last edited by Kodos : 04-24-2010 at 12:53 AM.
Kodos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 12:55 AM   #17
TCY Junkie
College Prospect

Quote:

Maybe he hates reality TV more than I do?

TCY Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 01:53 AM   #18
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post

korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 02:02 AM   #19
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

If i had to listen to Donald trump blather on stupidly, I'd have a brain hemorrhage too.
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 02:07 AM   #20
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Maybe Bret Michaels is a 4-year-old yelling kid to Toddzilla.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 11:52 AM   #21
RedKingGold
College Starter

I'm just surprised he had a brain.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 11:53 AM   #22
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post

/sarcasm

YOU MAKE LATHUM ANGRY
Old 04-24-2010, 03:06 PM   #23
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:

Didn't he do "Rock of Love"?
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 03:07 PM   #24
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Maybe Bret Michaels is a 4-year-old yelling kid to Toddzilla.

Wrong Michaels.

Last edited by DanGarion : 04-24-2010 at 03:08 PM.
Old 04-24-2010, 06:05 PM   #25
Oilers9911
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
I'm just surprised he had a brain.

That might only surprise someone that he himself is lacking a brain.
Oilers9911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 06:45 PM   #26
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Misdiagnosis perhaps?

Seriously seeing his antics on TV in reality shows, it's clear that he isn't taking care of himself properly to care for his diabetes enough. No sleep, gogogo, drinking partying, etc etc. Granted I think he's better than he used to be and is getting some good priorities but just doesn't slow down like he should.
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 11:22 PM   #27
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Hey CrimsonFox,
I'm not sure if you have direct contact with anybody who has Type 1 Diabetes such as Bret Michaels, but "taking care of yourself" doesn't prevent you from getting severely low blood sugars, complications, etc. I have a 6 year old son with diabetes and quite often he'll have a low blood sugar and we'll have to stop everything we're doing and get him juice, and sometimes even struggle to keep him conscious until he drinks it. I'm glad that Bret allows these episodes to be aired on TV, it has been very therapeutic for my son who sees that other people also have high / low blood sugars and have to deal with them.
Mind you it may be easier to control if you have a routine that you follow but we've always been taught that he's a person first and a diabetic second so we don't let it control his life. Unfortunately the human body is never the same 2 days in a row so you're constantly juggling to keep his blood sugar levels in balance, it's just a fact of life for a diabetic.
I applaud Bret for living his dream and not letting a life long condition cause him to turtle up and hide! I wish him all the best during his recovery.

Last edited by Mota : 04-24-2010 at 11:23 PM.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 08:51 PM   #28
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Bret Michaels' Doctors Haven't Located Source of Bleeding *| accessAtlanta

Bret Michaels' tour manager posted an update Sunday on the Poison singer's Web site, disclosing that Michaels is under the care of doctors 24 hours a day. "At this point Bret remains in ICU in critical condition. He is under 24 hour doctors care and supervision. We are hopeful that further tests will locate the source of the bleeding, which has still not been located," Janna Elias wrote of the 47-year-old rocker's health condition. "As we all know Bret is a fighter and we are hopeful that once all is complete the slurred speech, blurred vision and dizziness, etc. will be eliminated and all functions will return to normal."

Michaels' Web site also released an update on the hospitalized rocker's health Saturday following the news that he had suffered a brain hemorrhage. "There are several incorrect reports on Bret's condition. Bret remains in critical condition at an undisclosed location. Further tests are being [run] and information will be updated in the coming days," a post on Michaels' site said.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:43 AM   #29
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Brett Michaels just took his shirt off on celebrity apprentice and the dude was ripped. Anyone who says he doesn't take care of himself is dead wrong.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:50 AM   #30
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

I too found it very difficult to not post something sarcastic in here. Good thing I didn't, otherwise Lathum would have yelled at me.

Last edited by Sun Tzu : 04-26-2010 at 12:50 AM.
Sun Tzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 06:21 AM   #31
RedKingGold
College Starter

Lathum notices big muscles. He likes when you work out.

Last edited by RedKingGold : 04-27-2010 at 06:22 AM.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:27 AM   #32
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
I know diabetics are much more susceptible to brain hemorrhages.

As are cocaine addicts.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:34 AM   #33
DanGarion
Coordinator

Aren't steroid users susceptible to brain hemorrhages?
Old 04-27-2010, 06:44 PM   #34
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

ET reporting that he will undergo surgery to relieve the swelling around his brain. Not sure what to make of this but I saw elsewhere that he was upgraded to "stable" condition but this story says his condition is deteriorating.

Bret Michaels Health Update
Old 04-28-2010, 06:59 AM   #35
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
ET reporting that he will undergo surgery to relieve the swelling around his brain. Not sure what to make of this but I saw elsewhere that he was upgraded to "stable" condition but this story says his condition is deteriorating.

Bret Michaels Health Update

Until they find the source of the bleed, it's likely that this story will only get worse. Really a difficult situation.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 07:35 PM   #36
Mota
College Benchwarmer

It's complicated enough for a normal person, but for a Type 1 Diabetic, being sick is far more complicated (ketones, high / low blood sugars, etc). Thankfully he's at a place that specializes in diabetes care so if anybody can help him they can.

One of my normal friends had a similar episode and a year later he still has mind numbing headaches and a pool of blood in his brain that is taking forever to go away. It's really serious stuff.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 03:07 PM   #37
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

So he's still in critical (but stable) condition and they can't figure out where the bleeding is coming from, but... his tour will resume May 26th and he's still going to open for Skynyrd for 2 months? Um...?

Is this his people trying to put a positive face on a bad situation or trying to make him feel better about his prognosis, or is this story being blown out of proportion to sell magazines and concert tickets?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 03:23 PM   #38
Kodos
Resident Alien

I'm guessing they're just holding out until it is clear he won't be able to perform.
Old 04-30-2010, 01:11 PM   #39
Kodos
Resident Alien

hxxp://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100430/music_nm/us_bret_michaels_doctors_hopeful_full_recove

Bret Michaels doctors hopeful of full recovery

Reuters

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) – Doctors treating rocker Bret Michaels for a brain hemorrhage are hopeful he will make a full recovery, but regaining his health will be painful and could take weeks or months, the singer's publicist said on Tuesday.

Doctors said the Poison front man and "Celebrity Apprentice" TV contestant was lucky to have escaped death from the brain hemorrhage last week, and he is now in "positive spirits."

However, tests on Michaels, 47, revealed a potentially worrying side effect from the brain hemorrhage that could cause future seizures. So far, he has had no such seizures.

"Doctors state Michaels is very lucky as his condition could have been fatal. With further testing and rehabilitation, they are hopeful that Bret will gradually improve as the blood surrounding the brain dissolves and is reabsorbed into his system, which can be a very painful recovery and take several weeks to months," Tuesday's statement said.

"Michaels remains under 24-hour observation in the intensive care unit and is in positive spirits. He is responding well to tests and treatments...Doctors remain hopeful for a full recovery," it added.

Michaels, reported to be in an Arizona hospital, was described on Sunday as suffering from slurred speech and blurred vision.

His father, Wally Sychak, told celebrity news site Extra on Tuesday that he had spoken with his son by phone. "He sounded a little slow, but fine. He was talking, not as cheerful as he usually is. But I guess he is under sedation," Extra quoted Sychak as saying.

Messages of support from Michaels' celebrity friends and fans have flooded in, causing his official web site to crash or slow under the traffic.

"Your heart goes out to his family, your heart goes out to him. He's the nicest guy in the world," Sharon Osbourne, wife of British rocker Ozzy Osbourne and a contestant with Michaels on "Celebrity Apprentice" told celebrity magazine Us Weekly.

Michaels found fame in the 1980s at the helm of rock band Poison, whose hits include "Every Rose Has Its Thorn."

He later appeared in VH1's dating contest "Rock of Love" and on the current season of "The Celebrity Apprentice," which was filmed several months ago but is about halfway through its broadcast run on NBC.

Michaels was diagnosed with diabetes as a child and two weeks ago he had an emergency appendectomy, which he described afterward as a "wake-up call to be a little bit more diligent on keeping control of my health."

Last edited by Kodos : 04-30-2010 at 01:11 PM.
Old 04-30-2010, 02:21 PM   #40
Swaggs
Coordinator

Glad his prognosis looks good.

Everytime this thread is bumped, I always think that he might have passed away. I'm not a big fan, but hopefully everything works out alright.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 02:28 PM   #41
RedKingGold
College Starter

I look forward to the next season of "Rock of Love: Help Me Shower."