Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-31-2021, 06:05 AM   #3251
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Wandavision was fantastic. I love the play on old TV shows through the decade and the slow reveal of what was going on and who the actual bad-guy was.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 06:14 AM   #3252
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Wandavision was fantastic. I love the play on old TV shows through the decade and the slow reveal of what was going on and who the actual bad-guy was.

Ohhh, there was more to it than just Here's Lucy episodes?

I will say the characters were so different from typical MCU that I was surprised at how well Wanda and Vision did them. So kudos to them, they can act especially Elizabeth Olsen.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 10:35 AM   #3253
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Ohhh, there was more to it than just Here's Lucy episodes?

I will say the characters were so different from typical MCU that I was surprised at how well Wanda and Vision did them. So kudos to them, they can act especially Elizabeth Olsen.

Yeah, I'd say after you get through the first 2 episodes you'll start to see the main story unfold.

This is probably why Disney+ released two episodes on that first week. I'm guessing viewers would be confused in the beginning and not tune in the rest of the season (aka "The Edward64 Reaction")
Old 08-01-2021, 07:49 PM   #3254
PilotMan
Head Coach

Finally started Mindhunter and I should have watched it sooner. Plowed through the first season in 2 days and working my way though season 2. Really enjoying it.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 11:27 AM   #3255
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Mindhunter is one of my Favs
Old 08-02-2021, 02:29 PM   #3256
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalBumCover View Post
Yeah, I'd say after you get through the first 2 episodes you'll start to see the main story unfold.

This is probably why Disney+ released two episodes on that first week. I'm guessing viewers would be confused in the beginning and not tune in the rest of the season (aka "The Edward64 Reaction")

Yeah, I dipped my toe into Wandavision not really knowing what to expect, and both my wife and I ended up really enjoying it.
Old 08-02-2021, 02:29 PM   #3257
Kodos
Resident Alien

We've also hopped on the Ted Lasso bandwagon. Really good show.
Old 08-03-2021, 05:37 AM   #3258
Edward64
Head Coach

Great news, can't wait!

Quote:
Start counting down, Tolkien fans. Amazon announced Monday that its pricey Lord of the Rings TV series will premiere on Sept. 2, 2022 on Prime Video, noting that filming of the first season just ended in New Zealand. Think of it as a kind of prequel to the books and movies you may already know, as it's set thousands of years before The Hobbit and LOTR.
Old 08-03-2021, 10:02 AM   #3259
Swaggs
Coordinator

Almost ashamed to admit it, but my wife and I have been enjoying the Outer Banks on Netflix. Kind of a nice blend of Indiana Jones-is adventure with young adult drama.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 10:19 AM   #3260
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Great news, can't wait!

I'm not as excited about it as I should be. Most shows produced by Amazon are mediocre at best, and I'm afraid they're going to try to go all 'Game of Thrones' on this.
Old 08-03-2021, 11:13 AM   #3261
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
I'm not as excited about it as I should be. Most shows produced by Amazon are mediocre at best, and I'm afraid they're going to try to go all 'Game of Thrones' on this.

I haven't watched too many Amazon originals, but both "The Boys" and "Invincible" are excellent and they've done a great job with "The Expanse" since picking it up and Fleabag and Catastrophe were both really good, so there's hope!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 11:20 AM   #3262
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I do need to try to get back into the Expanse. I've made it through season one, like it, but for whatever reason didn't continue.
Old 08-05-2021, 05:58 PM   #3263
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I haven't watched too many Amazon originals, but both "The Boys" and "Invincible" are excellent and they've done a great job with "The Expanse" since picking it up and Fleabag and Catastrophe were both really good, so there's hope!

As for Amazon Originals, I'm through the 3rd season of Bosch and really enjoy that as well. The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel is just outstanding too. I don't think one can credit them for Fleabag however, considering it was a BBC show I believe.
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 05:50 PM   #3264
miami_fan
Coordinator

Watching Cocaine Cowboys: The Kings of Miami series on Netflix with my wife has giving her and myself a new perspective as to the effect growing up in Miami during that time has had on some of my world views.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 10:09 AM   #3265
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I finally got around to watching "Black Summer." I just finished the first season. Only eight episodes.

I thought it was great. Some really, really intense scenes and just a straight up zombie show.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 08-14-2021, 08:51 PM   #3266
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Just watched the Xmas episode of Ted Lasso. This show has done an amazing job of evolving from very funny to an amazingly well rounded show. Roy Kent is my favorite character on any show in a long time
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 09:15 PM   #3267
RainMaker
General Manager

No mention of Patriot on Amazon? One of the best shows in years.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 09:21 PM   #3268
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I really enjoyed Patriot. Would've loved some resolution on that one.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 05:47 AM   #3269
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Watching Cocaine Cowboys: The Kings of Miami series on Netflix with my wife has giving her and myself a new perspective as to the effect growing up in Miami during that time has had on some of my world views.

First time I went to Miami was in the late 90's. I was expecting to see Ferraris and other exotics everywhere.

Miami Vice was a great for its time. The theme music still resonates (and also Magnum PI).
Old 08-17-2021, 05:49 AM   #3270
Edward64
Head Coach

Some Witcher news. Didn't know about the animated show.

Quote:
The animated Witcher spin-off movie Nightmare of the Wolf is only a few days away, but there’s still more Witcher coming down the pike. Netflix has announced the many, many people who’ll be joining Blood Origin, the live-action miniseries set more than a thousand years before the smash-hit show starring Henry Cavill as Geralt.
Old 08-17-2021, 06:33 AM   #3271
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I suppose I'm alone on this, but I just have some sort of mental block when it comes to Netflix. Like, I have a few things in my list I want to watch, but I can never bring myself to watch them. It's like Netflix is a VHS tape or something.

I suppose it's a combination of things. One, I'm just so used to DirecTV and the DVR being where all of my stored shows are, so that's where I always go to look for things to watch. Two, I hate the way the Netflix app works where it just pulls up some random BS show and starts the preview without me actually choosing it, and it does the same thing for every damn show you scroll through and stop on. And three, I have a hard time finding what I want, even in my list, even things I've started to watch, they sometimes end up buried and I have to page through stuff to look for it. Even stuff I've started, I rarely go back to finish.

I'd prefer a scaled back version of the app that just has a list of shows I want to watch, no video, just a link to click to what I want to watch.

And yes, I just turned 50 yesterday, so queue up the old man jokes. My kids definitely get my money's worth (if it's possible) out of Netflix, but I don't use it as much as I should (in theory) and my wife's never even looked at it. I think the last time she did, we set up her account and that was about it.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 07:33 AM   #3272
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I’m with you. When I am just searching for something random to watch Netflix is always the last place I go.
Old 08-17-2021, 07:44 AM   #3273
Ksyrup

What brought it to mind is I get that weekly email about new shows I might be interested in, and I've probably put a dozen or so things on my list since the beginning of the year, and every time I get that email I remember there are a few things I want to watch, but I never do. My list keeps growing, and then I never actually watch anything. And the last few things I started didn't keep my interest through 4-6 episodes.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 08-17-2021, 08:49 AM   #3274
Edward64
Head Coach

I like Netflix and it seems to have more international produced stuff. Some of them are pretty bad but many are okay and a few great (aka The Kingdom).

I hate how Prime used to mix up Free with Pay. They've recently changed the interface where I see all the "Free to Me" which I appreciate.
Old 08-18-2021, 01:22 PM   #3275
PilotMan
Head Coach

If you are ever in Japan you can watch some Netflix produced, old school skinomax style Japanese soft core. If, you know, that's your bag baby.

Like Steam?

Old 08-18-2021, 03:01 PM   #3276
cuervo72
Head Coach

Yeah, but is everything pixelated?
Old 08-18-2021, 03:05 PM   #3277
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Yeah, but is everything pixelated?

No need when you don't get to see 'that' specifically, ala Cinemax (back in the day). A well placed angle is all you need. It's every bit as campy and done in that Japanese styled way though.

Like Steam?

Old 08-18-2021, 03:11 PM   #3278
cuervo72
Head Coach

Eh, Skinemax would sometimes show full-frontal (I don't know HOW many movies had women prison shower scenes), which I thought even was a no-no in Japan?
Old 08-18-2021, 03:50 PM   #3279
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
If you are ever in Japan you can watch some Netflix produced, old school skinomax style Japanese soft core. If, you know, that's your bag baby.

I respect cultured men.
Old 08-20-2021, 06:13 PM   #3280
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post

Good series. I watched that just before my first move.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 06:03 AM   #3281
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post

Wandavision was good! Glad I kept watching.
Old 08-21-2021, 03:06 PM   #3282
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Spoiler
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 03:18 PM   #3283
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Goddammit it, GrantDawg. Effing earworm going to be stuck there all day

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 08-21-2021 at 03:19 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 06:03 AM   #3284
Edward64
Head Coach

Starting to re-watch the Kingdom. The Korean zombie fest is great. Looking forward to s3. Supposedly late 2021 or early 2022 but really won't be surprised it is later.
Old 08-24-2021, 06:33 AM   #3285
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

9 perfect strangers has been interesting so far but they need to get cracking.
Old 08-25-2021, 06:58 AM   #3286
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Starting to re-watch the Kingdom. The Korean zombie fest is great. Looking forward to s3. Supposedly late 2021 or early 2022 but really won't be surprised it is later.

Watching Kingdom and seeing how the royal family was treated made me wonder what happened to the lineage.

Long story short, got dethroned by Japan in 1910. Current "crown prince" lives in Las Vegas, Nevada. Must suck to be him playing the "what if, if only etc." game.

https://family.lovetoknow.com/cultur...ust-know-facts
Quote:
Heir to the Korean Throne
While the Korean royal family is recognized in name only, the monarch continues to observe its lineage. Many people compared the announcement of King Yi Seok's successor as a modern day Cinderella story. However, this particular Cinderella is a man who had no idea he was related to the Korean royal family.

Korean Royal Family Heir Surprised
It sounds impossible that the future King of the Imperial Royal Korean family would grow up not knowing about his own genealogy. According to Crown Prince Andrew Lee, that is exactly what happened.

House of Yi
The heir apparent to the throne was born and raised in Indianapolis, Indiana. He only learned of his family's royal connection when a family member casually mentioned they were part of the House of Yi, the former Imperial family of Joseon.
Old 08-25-2021, 07:07 AM   #3287
Ksyrup

The Bob Ross documentary sounds interesting.
Old 08-26-2021, 10:24 AM   #3288
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I finally got around to watching "Black Summer." I just finished the first season. Only eight episodes.

I thought it was great. Some really, really intense scenes and just a straight up zombie show.

I finished Season 2 of "Black Summer." The second season wasn't quite as tight as the first and a bit uneven, but, overall, I really enjoyed it. It's a great, brutal zombie show.

I know they are very different shows doing very different things, but it was odd to circle back to The Walking Dead (I just watched the first episode of the new season) after watching both seasons of Black Summer. Between the slow zombies and everyone always hitting every zombie in the head with every arrow, throwing knife, crossbow bolt or what have you, the zombies in The Walking Dead have long stopped being much of a threat in any serious way. They've sort of become largely eerie propose for scenes and set pieces more than anything else.

Almost every single zombie in Black Summer is terrifying and will ruin your day. Same goes with pretty much any human in that show.
Old 08-27-2021, 08:04 PM   #3289
tarcone
Coordinator

Watch the documentary Count Me In. It is about the history of drumming in music. It is fantastic. The music is incredible, the stories as well.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 10:51 PM   #3290
Edward64
Head Coach

Watched John Wick 1-2-3 past couple days.

1 is pretty good just because it was the first.

2 was also pretty good. I like the Rome scenes.

3 was not as good as 1 and 2 but still fun. There was at least 1 fight scene where John Wick did a back kick that was comical. The fight scenes seemed slower and could have been better choreographed (or sped up).

I also realized that John Wick was many time surprised when he ran out of bullets. I thought pros counted bullets as they shot.
Old 08-27-2021, 11:02 PM   #3291
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:

3 was not as good as 1 and 2 but still fun. There was at least 1 fight scene where John Wick did a back kick that was comical. The fight scenes seemed slower and could have been better choreographed (or sped up).

I also realized that John Wick was many time surprised when he ran out of bullets. I thought pros counted bullets as they shot.

If you liked the John Wick movies then check out Nobody. It's definitely inspired by the Wick films, but different enough to stand out and just as fun IMO.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 11:09 PM   #3292
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
If you liked the John Wick movies then check out Nobody. It's definitely inspired by the Wick films, but different enough to stand out and just as fun IMO.

I did watch it.

I think I called it the regular man's John Wick, not near as flashy but still some nice moves.
Old 08-28-2021, 09:08 AM   #3293
Edward64
Head Coach

Dune is out Sep 3 on big screen and streaming.

They Lynch movie sucked big time. The TV series was pretty good I thought. I really hope this one blows it out of the water.

I read Heinlein and Herbert as a kid and they were my sci-fi favorites.
Old 08-28-2021, 09:32 AM   #3294
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I'm about to watch these for the first time, too. We borrowed them from, of all places, our library (yes, I'm that dude that still borrows movies from the library). We're also going through all the Muppets movies but that's for before the 6yo goes to bed

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 10:26 AM   #3295
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

They Lynch movie sucked big time. The TV series was pretty good I thought. I really hope this one blows it out of the water.

Why did you hate the Lynch version?

Old 08-28-2021, 12:34 PM   #3296
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:

I read Heinlein and Herbert as a kid and they were my sci-fi favorites.

I loved the Lynch version.

I hope they dont make this Dune into 2 or 3 parts.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 12:40 PM   #3297
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I thought it was at least 2
Old 08-28-2021, 07:44 PM   #3298
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

It's definitely more than one. I think it's 2 parts.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Old 08-28-2021, 08:07 PM   #3299
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Why did you hate the Lynch version?

TMI
Old 08-28-2021, 08:12 PM   #3300
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1