Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-03-2013, 05:51 AM   #1701
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
Does anyone have any experience with any of the Garmin watches for tracking their jogging? I don't own a smartphone and won't be getting one in the forseeable future (I could afford the phone but cannot in any way justify the addition of a data plan to my service), but I've got a bit of extra money coming in and am thinking about picking something up.

Sure, I have a Garmin Forerunner 210, and my wife has a Garmin Forerunner 10 that she uses. I pretty much use it to track all of my running (check my signature and you can see some of the various reports and graphs and such that I get from the data on it from my running dynasty thread).

For the most part you can get out of watches what you want, most of which can be replicated on smart phones if you have the right equipment though, but for me the watch is nicer for a few reasons:

- It ends up being a bit more accurate from a GPS perspective on tracking the run.
- You can get Heart Rate monitors or Foot Pods to go with various models of watches (Not all models, you have to pick the specific correct one) and they work pretty flawlessly without problems. You can also use those with smart phones obviously, but I feel that I like how they work with my watch better.
- Running with a watch is much lighter weight than dragging a phone around on my arm or in my pocket, and it is easier to check and see how I am doing if I want during my run than it is to look at the phone app.
- I can pretty much sync my watch to any or all Running App of my choice all of the major apps support Garmin uploads and it takes a very small amount of time. Using an App on a phone limits you somewhat on what you can use with it at times.

Not sure if I answered all of your questions, if there are others you are interested in, drop me a note. But I love my watch and am super happy that I got it.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:08 AM   #1702
AnalBumCover
College Starter

3/04/13 239.2 Starting Weight
3/22/13 236.4
3/29/13 234.8
4/05/13 235.6

Up a bit this week despite starting up my GymPact. I had two good 30 min walks before I picked up another head cold. I have to kick this cold before I do my third and final exercise to meet my pact. Got until Sunday to do it.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:29 PM   #1703
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan View Post
well, I wouldn't call it fun, but it was cool to try on new jeans. Tried some 31 waist but they only had them in 32 inseam and they'd have ended up being a bit short. Settled on 3 pairs of 32 waist that are all reasonably loose, down from my 34 waist that used to be getting quite tight. I'm ok with that. Also got a belt. All in all a satisying day that ended up not costing too much since I went to WM and bought Levi's that were on sale anyway.

FM

32?? damn
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 04:47 PM   #1704
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post

32?? damn

yeah, well, it all has to be put into perspective.

I used to weigh 155-160 when I was 22-25 yo, but that was 20 years ago. I also have some 36 waist pants in my wardrobe. When I decided that I needed to lose weight, I weighed 203lbs and was stretching my 34 waist quite a bit. I've since lost 35 lbs, about 17% of my initial weight.

Then again, at 203, I was considered overweight by pure BMI calculation, and well, I was. I now realize that I was. I feel good now and will do all I can to never go back up in weight, not to that 200lbs or so...

Everyone can do it, just need to motivate yourself...

FM
Old 04-12-2013, 07:11 AM   #1705
AnalBumCover
College Starter

3/29/13 234.8
4/05/13 235.6
4/12/13 235.8 (+0.2, -3.4 overall)

I started a couch-to-5k dynasty this week. Hope you all follow along. At least I'm getting my exercise in. Now to work on my eating habits.

Last edited by AnalBumCover : 04-12-2013 at 08:19 AM.
AnalBumCover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:05 AM   #1706
AnalBumCover
College Starter

4/05/13 235.6
4/12/13 235.8
4/19/13 235.2 (-0.6, -4.0 overall)

My 5K training is in full swing now.
Old 04-20-2013, 01:55 PM   #1707
Comey
College Starter

Keep up the good work all. I'm a couple of weeks away from holding off my weight (100+ lbs) for a year, and while some injuries have prevented me from working out in beastmode like I used to, I've been countering by biking (stationary for now, but getting outside soon). I do about 21.5 miles an hour, and work up a rather ridiculous sweat.

It's also nice having a SO who likes being active, and eating healthy. We shall go running a little bit later, which definitely helps motivate. Once I can start lifting again (back problems), I'll be really happy.

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:01 PM   #1708
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

First time since maybe my freshman year of college that I am below 200! It doesn't really count though because I took this right after my run today, but still, first time seeing the 100s in around 20 years!

Old 04-24-2013, 08:44 AM   #1709
heybrad
Norm!!!

I'm late to the party (as with most things on FOFC), but I really need some accountability to my weight loss goals. Having moved 8 months ago and having no one really aside from my wife to hold me accountable, I'm turning to all of you.

To be blunt... I'm a mess. Not just physically, but my health is a mess as well. I'm a type 2 diabetic and for some reason that only a therapist could explain, I've never been good about dealing with it. I'm back to taking insulin injections twice a day so I'm working on getting my numbers back in order. I'm coming here now in my attempt to get my weight under control. I'm currently at 285. Jesus H... I'm embarrassed just typing that. I've signed up for Gympact and set a 3 day goal at $5/day. I started hitting the gym on Monday and have already met the 3 days for this week. I take my daughter to a class at church very early in the morning, so it's been fairly convenient to get into the gym by 5:30 each morning.

Anyway... I'll check back in occasionally with my weight and my blood sugar levels.
heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:19 AM   #1710
finketr
College Prospect

heybrad,

we're watching...
finketr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:39 AM   #1711
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by heybrad View Post
I take my daughter to a class at church very early in the morning, so it's been fairly convenient to get into the gym by 5:30 each morning.
heybrad

It's always good to be able to get in workouts while you're doing everyday tasks. I manage to get out running before I go pick up my daughter from daycare. In fact, I park my car at the daycare and start running. Once I'm done, I can pick her right up and head on home.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:43 AM   #1712
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
First time since maybe my freshman year of college that I am below 200! It doesn't really count though because I took this right after my run today, but still, first time seeing the 100s in around 20 years!
Dude, weren't you around 260-something earlier in this thread? Congratulations!
Old 04-24-2013, 11:44 AM   #1713
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalBumCover View Post
Dude, weren't you around 260-something earlier in this thread? Congratulations!

Yeah, was 264 at my peak. Was 233 at the start of this year (Jan 1st)

Old 04-24-2013, 02:30 PM   #1714
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Alright, I am a binge dieter and eater. However, something sat with me about a month ago.

I had my check up with my doctor for my script. Went through the check up everything else and he made mention that I had gained 15 pounds since seeing him. I sat there and nodded uh huh and said something silly. He gave me my script and I left.

When I got home the wait a minute bell went off in my head and basically told me I had gained 3 pounds a yr. This combined with the stress I have had in my life is all a recipe for a heart attack. So I have stepped up to the plate.

I am on my diet, eating quite health, kicked the soda out of the diet and started working out.

I have dropped close to 10 pounds since Friday and knocked almost an inch off the waist.

Soda has been my crutch and with the amount I drink, it's about 3 cups of sugar a day, knocking that out of the diet has helped.

I am doing the 6 week challenge (Pushups, dips, situps and squats) all body weight stuff.

My goal is to get down from the 225 I am at right now to 185. I would love to do it fast but I go to Orlando in June for a conference and I want to be able to kick it by the pool looking decent and not like a fat ass.
Old 04-25-2013, 05:37 AM   #1715
Comey
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
Alright, I am a binge dieter and eater. However, something sat with me about a month ago.

I had my check up with my doctor for my script. Went through the check up everything else and he made mention that I had gained 15 pounds since seeing him. I sat there and nodded uh huh and said something silly. He gave me my script and I left.

When I got home the wait a minute bell went off in my head and basically told me I had gained 3 pounds a yr. This combined with the stress I have had in my life is all a recipe for a heart attack. So I have stepped up to the plate.

I am on my diet, eating quite health, kicked the soda out of the diet and started working out.

I have dropped close to 10 pounds since Friday and knocked almost an inch off the waist.

Soda has been my crutch and with the amount I drink, it's about 3 cups of sugar a day, knocking that out of the diet has helped.

I am doing the 6 week challenge (Pushups, dips, situps and squats) all body weight stuff.

My goal is to get down from the 225 I am at right now to 185. I would love to do it fast but I go to Orlando in June for a conference and I want to be able to kick it by the pool looking decent and not like a fat ass.

Run. Run. Run.

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:25 AM   #1716
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comey View Post
Run. Run. Run.

Running will be added in. As the weather gets better I am planning on the following:

Monday - Workout, Softball
Tuesday - Running
Wednesday - Workout
Thursday - Running
Friday - Workout
Saturday - Superset or Hiking
Sunday - Rest

I plan to be VERY active this summer in regards to this. If I can get myself to where I feel comfortable running long distances (basically C25K) I will either enter the Color Run that is going on in July in Buffalo or the Zombie Run which is in August at Pittsburgh.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:35 AM   #1717
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I plan to be VERY active this summer in regards to this. If I can get myself to where I feel comfortable running long distances (basically C25K) I will either enter the Color Run that is going on in July in Buffalo or the Zombie Run which is in August at Pittsburgh.

Color Runs tend to be more social than active, in a large number of people in them purposely stop at places for the coloring, or walk the entire way. (Also large number of people usually go which prevent any consistent running anyways). So if you can walk/jog 5k, you should be fine on it (even if you haven't completed a C25K yet).

Zombie Runs are a ton of fun and I really enjoyed the one I did, but it is also a different beast from a normal run. You basically do alot of sprinting away from zombies, and then alot of slower running to recover when none are around. You also have other obstacles to climb over, under, through, whatever as well. The Zombie run that i did the obstacles were not overly challenging though.

Old 04-25-2013, 06:38 AM   #1718
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Color Runs tend to be more social than active, in a large number of people in them purposely stop at places for the coloring, or walk the entire way. (Also large number of people usually go which prevent any consistent running anyways). So if you can walk/jog 5k, you should be fine on it (even if you haven't completed a C25K yet).

Zombie Runs are a ton of fun and I really enjoyed the one I did, but it is also a different beast from a normal run. You basically do alot of sprinting away from zombies, and then alot of slower running to recover when none are around. You also have other obstacles to climb over, under, through, whatever as well. The Zombie run that i did the obstacles were not overly challenging though.

Thanks for the input, have you completed a Tough Mudder yet? We have one here this summer as well and people are trying to talk me into it.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:23 AM   #1719
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Thanks for the input, have you completed a Tough Mudder yet? We have one here this summer as well and people are trying to talk me into it.

I haven't myself, but have friends that do it (they are doing one this weekend in fact). Tough Mudder has more challenging obstacles than the Zombie runs generally. I can't personally provide any input on how much tougher it is though but know they comment alot on people who aren't very fit struggling to do them (to the point they say they are surprises no one has died of a heart attack from trying it being out of shape before). They all love it though and keep doing them any chance they get.

Old 04-26-2013, 08:25 AM   #1720
AnalBumCover
College Starter

4/05/13 235.6
4/12/13 235.8
4/19/13 235.2
4/26/13 233.6 (-1.6, -5.6 overall)

Feeling good about myself now. Since I've started jogging three times a week, my energy level has reached heights I haven't felt since college.
Old 04-28-2013, 05:33 PM   #1721
sabotai
General Manager

Started tracking what I ate and my weight near the end of March. I thought I was still north of 240 by a few pounds, but my first week showed 237 so that was a nice surprise to be able to essentially start off a few weeks ahead.

3/25 to 3/31: Avg Weight: 237.00
4/1 to 4/7: Avg Weight: 236.36 (-0.63)
4/8 to 4/14: Avg Weight: 232.34 (-4.03)
4/15 to 4/21: Avg Weight: 230.80 (-1.54)
4/22 to 4/28: Avg Weight: 229.06 (-1.74)

3/31 Fat %: 34.51%
4/28 Fat %: 33.33% (-1.19%)

3/31 Muscle %: 30.90%
4/28 Muscle %: 31.61% (+0.71%)

3/31 Rest. Metabolism: 2115.43
4/28 Rest. Metabolism: 2069.29 (-46.14)

3/31 Visceral Fat: 15.0
4/28 Visceral Fat: 14.0 (-1.0)

Spent the last month just getting my eating under control. Every time I've tried to lose weight before, I would eat well and exercise a lot for about 2 or 3 weeks, burn out, go nuts and eat junk food as my going-through-withdrawal-from-lots-of-sugar body and mind would have no more of it and then I put the weight back on.

I've had 5 good weeks of eating well, with a day here and there going over my caloric limit for the day. Now that I have (hopefully) established that behavior, I'm going to start working out again. Nothing too intense, I don't want to burn out again. Just a bit of yoga (start off with ~15 minutes at a time), weight lifting (start off with the 100 pushups/200 squats/200 situps and a few light weightlifting exercises) and some running (start off with C25K, but probably several weeks of just doing week 1 over and over again.).
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:07 AM   #1722
heybrad
Norm!!!

I figure Monday is a good day to start posting updates. Here are the particulars.

Starting weight on 4/24: 285
Monday, 4/29: 283.4
I completed my Gympact with 4 workouts last week.

My daughter will be doing a hand cart trek this summer and has asked if I would start walking / running with her. I still will be doing my early morning gym workouts, but I'm looking for to an evening run now with my daughter.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:15 AM   #1723
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by heybrad View Post
I figure Monday is a good day to start posting updates. Here are the particulars.

Monday, 4/29: 283.4
I completed my Gympact with 4 workouts last week.

My daughter will be doing a hand cart trek this summer and has asked if I would start walking / running with her. I still will be doing my early morning gym workouts, but I'm looking for to an evening run now with my daughter.

GO!GO!GO!
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:33 AM   #1724
AnalBumCover
College Starter

4/05/13 235.6
4/19/13 235.2
4/26/13 233.6
5/03/13 233.8 (+0.2, -5.4 overall)

A couple of days ago when I was picking up my daughter from day care, a teacher saw me and asked "Have you been working out?"

Old 05-05-2013, 11:46 AM   #1725
sabotai
General Manager

March 31st: 237.0
May 5th: 227.91 (-1.14 for the week, -9.09 overall)

Probably would have been a lot better but 2 recent days saw me go way over my calorie limit.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:59 AM   #1726
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Fuck yeah Alan! Been meaning to comment - you can definitely see the change in your facebook pics - you look a ton better man!! Congrats!!
Old 05-06-2013, 11:01 AM   #1727
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalBumCover View Post
4/05/13 235.6
4/19/13 235.2
4/26/13 233.6
5/03/13 233.8 (+0.2, -5.4 overall)

A couple of days ago when I was picking up my daughter from day care, a teacher saw me and asked "Have you been working out?"

WOO!!!
Old 05-06-2013, 12:48 PM   #1728
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Fuck yeah Alan! Been meaning to comment - you can definitely see the change in your facebook pics - you look a ton better man!! Congrats!!

Thanks!

Old 05-07-2013, 08:28 AM   #1729
heybrad
Norm!!!

Update.

4/29: 283.4
5/7: 283

I'm an impatient guy so I suppose I need to look at the positive here. It's been two weeks and I've lost 2 lbs. Geez... even typing that it doesn't sound all that positive to me, however, I met my gympact again the previous week. I've already been to the gym twice this week. I've been doing mostly cardio and then stomach exercises and I can definitely feel it. I just wish the scale matched up.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:38 PM   #1730
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Well, as folk who know me know.. the last year or so hasn't been great for me healthwise (although it's way better than what came before). My weight had gotten way up there (350), so I decided that as part of a general attempt to kick the bad things in my life, that I would do Weight Watchers for 3 months and then go from there.

Thoughts so far: I've actually found that Diet IBC Root Beer, and the new Ten Calorie drinks (7up, A&W root beer, and Sunkist) have managed to quell my soda urge.. which is a first in any of these attempts.

The sad thing is that eating healthy is probably too easy at this point.

Let's put it this way: Weight Watchers has set a daily goal of 66 points (with 49 weekly bonus points if I want to splurge). How many points is that?

Here's my meals for Thursday:

Breakfast: Bowl and a half of Chex Cereal (Cinnamon) with 2% milk

Lunch: Salad with Fat-Free Italian Dressing, whole wheat ritz crackers and a side of carrots.

Dinner: 7 oz of Chicken (with panko bread crumbs and spices)

Add in another bowl of cereal and milk when I got up after a nap this evening after work..

And that's a grand total of.. 28 points.

Or less than half of my budget.

So, that's a good thing, in that I will likely lose weight, even if I eat more stuff, and use my weekly bonus points for something like a visit to the local steakhouse.

The sad thing is.. how out of control did I have to be to GET to this point?
Old 05-09-2013, 11:41 PM   #1731
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Dola: Exercising's going to be a problem.. between my knee (which is better now then it was when it ruined my gettogether with DT and TK earlier this year) and my back (it feels like someone's attached a winch to the small of my back, down at the base of the spine and is constantly tightening it). But hopefully as I drop the pounds, that will get better.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:52 AM   #1732
AnalBumCover
College Starter

4/05/13 235.6
4/26/13 233.6
5/03/13 233.8
5/10/13 233.6 (-0.2, -5.6 overall)

Hmm. Looks like I've hit a small plateau here.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:49 AM   #1733
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Dola: Exercising's going to be a problem.. between my knee (which is better now then it was when it ruined my gettogether with DT and TK earlier this year) and my back (it feels like someone's attached a winch to the small of my back, down at the base of the spine and is constantly tightening it). But hopefully as I drop the pounds, that will get better.

Drop some of the pounds first before you start worrying about exercise man. Eat sensibly, that's good. Over time your stomach will start to shrink and you'll need to eat less and less to feel full and fuel yourself.

But for now...just focus on eating well. Obviously you don't need to use your full daily allotment of points, but don't let yourself be starving and weak either. Just eat sensibly, and healthy.

Gonna be a journey, but you'll get there.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 05-10-2013 at 11:50 AM.
Old 05-10-2013, 03:14 PM   #1734
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Heh. I haven't looked into the Dynasty forum in a while. Fozzie's post got me nosing around in here and I thought I'd jump in this thread. First, my fitness/weight history:

I was a varsity athlete in high school and very strong intramural level in college, could keep up and not embarrass myself on the b-ball court with some of GT's backups. I played a fair bit of pickup with and against backups Anthony Sherrod and Brian Domalik in particular in those days and I could take Domalik maybe 1/3 of the time. I was very much on the "too skinny" side at 5'11", 145ish when I graduated high school. I filled out to around 170-175 in college.

I kept in pretty good shape, mainly via pickup basketball, throughout my 20s. Throughout that time with my career in YL, I always had the keys to some church's gym where I'd gather different groups of high school and college guys to play ball at least a couple of times a week and I also played in two weekly games with guys in their 20s and 30s. Weight gain was never really an issue for me throughout that time. I could eat whatever I wanted because I was so active.

When I moved to Tucker (late 20s) I was the new kid on the block with no gym keys. I started lifting weights at that time, but didn't really do anything for cardio work at all other than play in a couple of rec league the next few years. Good: my shoulders and back broadened and I became much stronger. Bad: along with the muscle I added was a good bit of fat.

When things started to get busier after a few years in Tucker, the weight-lifting slacked off to next to nothing and I slowly gained weight over the years. At that point I'd get very frustrated when I tried to play ball because I couldn't perform at the level I had become used to, so I stopped that entirely as well.

Over time, I've gotten back in the weight room here and there. I'm fairly sure that I maintained or maybe even increased a little my muscle mass from the early days in Tucker (definitely got stronger), but the fat gain was much greater than the muscle gain over the years. Fast forward to fall 2012, approaching age 44, and I was in the 275-280 range. I'm not sure exactly where I topped out because I wasn't weighing very often, but I have a recorded weight of 276.5 from 11/5/2012 in my FitnessBuddy app. I didn't weigh or record any other weights until January 7th, 2013, but it's fairly safe to say that with Thanksgiving, then doing a lot of sitting around and eating around my mother's death (December 10th), then Christmas, I probably gained a bit more. Based on the app, I did work out at least three times a week from 11/5 until the week before my mom died. (She broke her hip on 12/1, so the unexpected travel stopped workouts then.)

Anyway, all that said, I was probably at 5'11", ~280 pounds in early December, before I got the flu (the day before my mom's funeral...THAT was fun). My guess would be that the reduced eating from the flu and the increased eating around Christmas roughly cancelled one another out.

The October/November workout push had happened because this fall it hit me that I will be 62 years old when my youngest daughter (born in April of this year) graduates from high school. The unexpected travel around my mom's death, followed by the flu, and then Christmas slowed me down, but right after Christmas I got back at it. For some reason I didn't weigh, though, until January 7th, when I was 274.

I started slowly with the cardio work. Doing back-to-back 13-minute miles was one of my early goals, I recall. Anyway, here's a brief history of what I've done since January, just grabbing some representative cardio workouts from various time frames since I started logging stuff and using running apps:

January 7th--weighed 274.0...did 2.5 miles on the treadmill, 2 minute walk, 1 minute jog (5.4mph)...repeated 10 times...5 minute cooldown...overall avg pace = 13:32
January 16th--weighed 268.0...first RunKeeper outdoor run: 2.26 miles, 29:54, 13:15 pace. My note on that run says "Pretty good outdoor run. The highlight was running 14 minutes straight after a one minute warm-up."
January 28th--weighed 266.5...at this point I was going to do RunKeeper's beginner 5K program (eventually got bored with it and abandoned it)...schedule called for a 45-minute "slow" run after a 5-minute walk...no notes, but based on the pace chart in RunKeeper it looks like I did manage to keep up a very slow jog for all 45. Average pace of entire walk/run/walk was 14:17.average pace of the 45:00 jog was 13:38

I decided to test/push myself on February 3rd--ran jogged (no walking) for one hour, 4.68 miles..12:49 pace..my wife wanted to kill me afterward..probably was too much to do this early, but I didn't injure myself of have a heart attack so I guess it was ok ..weight that morning was 265.5

Got much more serious about watching my caloric intake in February, and also purchased a heart rate monitor that month, and the running really ramped up. By February 27th, I was down to 256 and did 4 miles at a 12:11 pace.

It really started to come together in March. The increased fitness combined with less weight allowed me to work out harder and longer. By April 1 I was at 243 and did 4 miles at 11:11.

Renee was born April 4th, but with my in-laws being in town I only missed one scheduled workout that month (on the 4th, of course). By 4/15 I was at 237.4 (bought a Withings scale at some point in April which "increased" my weight by a pound or so) and did 5.5 miles at a 10:46 pace.

My first run of 10K or more was on 4/29. 10:21 pace, 6.38 miles. Weight on that day was 230.

Today, 5/10, I weighed in at 226.2. My best overall run was this week: 9:38 pace for 5 miles. I've managed to lift at least three times every week since the week after Christmas. I've had some fairly modest strength gains there, but that's not really my focus since I've done "ok" over the years with strength training.

So as of today my weight loss is in the 48-55 pound range. Official number (since 1/7) is 47.8 pounds, with a change in scales during that time, so who the eff knows the actual number?

I haven't actually made sweeping changes to my diet. The main thing I'm doing is counting my caloric intake, so I'm eating less of stuff I like, but I'm definitely still eating stuff I like. I tend to eat fairly healthy overall, just too much if I'm not paying attention. I rarely drink anything other than water or the occasional glass of wine, so no need to make changes their, either. I've just stopped eating 8 slices of bacon or half a rack of ribs in one setting. I've been particularly careful about two things other than overall calorie intake:

1. Eat at least 30 grams of fiber per day.
2. Maintain a 40/30/30 carb/protein/fat calorie split.

The former has been easy to accomplish by eating more apples, baked sweet potatoes, berries, and a particular brand of granola (back to nature pecan cranberry) that's high in fiber. The latter is something I found recommended to help mitigate the inevitable loss of muscle while losing weight. What's funny is that it wasn't much of a change for me. It's a bit lower in carbs and higher in protein and fat than the standard USDA recommendations, but quite similar to the way I like to eat anyway, so no huge change there either. I'm getting a higher percentage of protein in my diet than average, and doing high-weight/low-rep lifting 3 times per week to help prevent a big loss in lean muscle mass.

As far as goal and maintenance, basically I'm wanting to get to the 15-18% body fat range once again and maintain that. I'm not so much concerned about a specific weight as just being fit and healthy. Based on the lean mass calculations I've been doing, it looks like my target range is roughly 185-190 pounds with a 33 to 35 inch waist. I've used the LoseIt! app to track weight loss since 1/7, and I've got the goal weight there set at 189, so roughly 37 pounds to go.

And if the motivation of being healthy and intimidating enough to put the FEAR OF GOD into various middle and high school punks who will be chasing my beautiful daughters in the 2020s and early 2030s isn't enough, I just found out this week that in mid-November of this year I'll be playing at a gig in my home town in front of probably 1,500-2,000 people, many of whom will be old friends. I would think that by then I should be approaching or at my target, so I have to be honest and say that it'll be fun to look good once again for the home folks.

So...month-by-month (to be updated at each 10-pound loss or beginning of month)

1/7: 274.0
2/1: 265.0 (-9, -9)
3/1: 256.0 (-9, -18)
4/1: 243.0 (-13, -31)
5/1: 229.7 (-13.3, -44.3)
Today: 226.2 (-3.5, -47.8)
Old 05-12-2013, 03:02 AM   #1735
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Just a funny thing.. the local candlepin bowling alley has a special on friday and saturday nights, all you can bowl from 8-10 for $9 (plus free shoe rental through the local grocery store loyalty card).

Since I couldn't get any of my friends to go with me, it was just me, and trust me you can do a LOT of bowling solo in two hours.

I got five and a half strings (unlike regular, PBA Bowling, candlepin bowling is three balls per frame) in before my body said "That's enough outta you".

That's somewhere around 170 deliveries.

In other news, I just woke up and my shoulder is telling me what an idiot I am.. but I don't regret it
Old 05-12-2013, 06:40 PM   #1736
sabotai
General Manager

Week of May 5th: 227.91
Week of May 12th: 228.01 (+0.10, -8.99 ovr)

Irregular work week, irregular sleep, irregular hunger = me just being happy that I maintained weight for the week. One of these weeks is what usually sent me into the +2 or more pounds for the week in the past.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:54 AM   #1737
heybrad
Norm!!!

4/29: 283.4
5/7: 283
5/13: 282

Another pound. Still too slow for my patience level. I need to be better about what I'm eating. I have the gym thing down great.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:13 AM   #1738
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Starting Weight: 5/7/2013: 351
5/14: 341.5 (-9.5 pounds)

Holy. Fucking. Shit.

I'm flabbergasted.

(Yes, this is the easy stuff to lose, basically, this is the result of changing the diet around, doing a ton of bowling on Saturday night and walking several other days last week.. I'm definitely not going to lose so much so quickly going forward, but what a start!)
Old 05-14-2013, 08:27 AM   #1739
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

From a weight standpoint, while that has become less of a focus for me to just trying to be more in shape or more fit, it is still one of my driving factors to my exercise.

For the most part I was weighing weekly for a while, but am trying to get back into more regular weigh-ins. I find my weight goes up and down during the week (as I assume it does for most people). At the start of the month I was around 216 pounds and now I am at 208 pounds. According to this graph I lost 7 pounds this last month and will get to my current goal of 200 some point in a few months or so.

One other thing that I was looking at which I felt was pretty cool was:

Looking back since Jan 2009 when I started trying to lose weight (and was 260-263 or so pounds), I've gone from Obese in the BMI scale to 1/3rd of the way down through Overweight. I can now see the line for "Normal" and maybe would like to try to make it there some point later this year or early next year.

Been about 6 weeks since my last weight update.

I was being pretty strict with my diet and posted the day my scale showed 199 after my run. Since then I've gone on family vacation for a week, had a weekend get away with my wife for a friend's wedding and haven't really paid strict attention to the diet. I still have only been drinking water (with occasional milk or orange juice for breakfast), and have for the most part avoided snacking (not 100%), but definitely helped myself to extra desert along the way.

Thankfully my exercise has kept the overall trend weight going in the right direction though even though the past few weeks it has been ping ponging a ton. With summer upcoming, that means many cook outs, camping trips and other excuses to eat tons of food. So I need to buckle down a little better in that aspect.

Old 05-14-2013, 08:41 AM   #1740
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
Heh. I haven't looked into the Dynasty forum in a while. Fozzie's post got me nosing around in here and I thought I'd jump in this thread. First, my fitness/weight history:

I was a varsity athlete in high school and very strong intramural level in college, could keep up and not embarrass myself on the b-ball court with some of GT's backups. I played a fair bit of pickup with and against backups Anthony Sherrod and Brian Domalik in particular in those days and I could take Domalik maybe 1/3 of the time. I was very much on the "too skinny" side at 5'11", 145ish when I graduated high school. I filled out to around 170-175 in college.

I kept in pretty good shape, mainly via pickup basketball, throughout my 20s. Throughout that time with my career in YL, I always had the keys to some church's gym where I'd gather different groups of high school and college guys to play ball at least a couple of times a week and I also played in two weekly games with guys in their 20s and 30s. Weight gain was never really an issue for me throughout that time. I could eat whatever I wanted because I was so active.

When I moved to Tucker (late 20s) I was the new kid on the block with no gym keys. I started lifting weights at that time, but didn't really do anything for cardio work at all other than play in a couple of rec league the next few years. Good: my shoulders and back broadened and I became much stronger. Bad: along with the muscle I added was a good bit of fat.

When things started to get busier after a few years in Tucker, the weight-lifting slacked off to next to nothing and I slowly gained weight over the years. At that point I'd get very frustrated when I tried to play ball because I couldn't perform at the level I had become used to, so I stopped that entirely as well.

Over time, I've gotten back in the weight room here and there. I'm fairly sure that I maintained or maybe even increased a little my muscle mass from the early days in Tucker (definitely got stronger), but the fat gain was much greater than the muscle gain over the years. Fast forward to fall 2012, approaching age 44, and I was in the 275-280 range. I'm not sure exactly where I topped out because I wasn't weighing very often, but I have a recorded weight of 276.5 from 11/5/2012 in my FitnessBuddy app. I didn't weigh or record any other weights until January 7th, 2013, but it's fairly safe to say that with Thanksgiving, then doing a lot of sitting around and eating around my mother's death (December 10th), then Christmas, I probably gained a bit more. Based on the app, I did work out at least three times a week from 11/5 until the week before my mom died. (She broke her hip on 12/1, so the unexpected travel stopped workouts then.)

Anyway, all that said, I was probably at 5'11", ~280 pounds in early December, before I got the flu (the day before my mom's funeral...THAT was fun). My guess would be that the reduced eating from the flu and the increased eating around Christmas roughly cancelled one another out.

The October/November workout push had happened because this fall it hit me that I will be 62 years old when my youngest daughter (born in April of this year) graduates from high school. The unexpected travel around my mom's death, followed by the flu, and then Christmas slowed me down, but right after Christmas I got back at it. For some reason I didn't weigh, though, until January 7th, when I was 274.

I started slowly with the cardio work. Doing back-to-back 13-minute miles was one of my early goals, I recall. Anyway, here's a brief history of what I've done since January, just grabbing some representative cardio workouts from various time frames since I started logging stuff and using running apps:

January 7th--weighed 274.0...did 2.5 miles on the treadmill, 2 minute walk, 1 minute jog (5.4mph)...repeated 10 times...5 minute cooldown...overall avg pace = 13:32
January 16th--weighed 268.0...first RunKeeper outdoor run: 2.26 miles, 29:54, 13:15 pace. My note on that run says "Pretty good outdoor run. The highlight was running 14 minutes straight after a one minute warm-up."
January 28th--weighed 266.5...at this point I was going to do RunKeeper's beginner 5K program (eventually got bored with it and abandoned it)...schedule called for a 45-minute "slow" run after a 5-minute walk...no notes, but based on the pace chart in RunKeeper it looks like I did manage to keep up a very slow jog for all 45. Average pace of entire walk/run/walk was 14:17.average pace of the 45:00 jog was 13:38

I decided to test/push myself on February 3rd--ran jogged (no walking) for one hour, 4.68 miles..12:49 pace..my wife wanted to kill me afterward..probably was too much to do this early, but I didn't injure myself of have a heart attack so I guess it was ok ..weight that morning was 265.5

Got much more serious about watching my caloric intake in February, and also purchased a heart rate monitor that month, and the running really ramped up. By February 27th, I was down to 256 and did 4 miles at a 12:11 pace.

It really started to come together in March. The increased fitness combined with less weight allowed me to work out harder and longer. By April 1 I was at 243 and did 4 miles at 11:11.

Renee was born April 4th, but with my in-laws being in town I only missed one scheduled workout that month (on the 4th, of course). By 4/15 I was at 237.4 (bought a Withings scale at some point in April which "increased" my weight by a pound or so) and did 5.5 miles at a 10:46 pace.

My first run of 10K or more was on 4/29. 10:21 pace, 6.38 miles. Weight on that day was 230.

Today, 5/10, I weighed in at 226.2. My best overall run was this week: 9:38 pace for 5 miles. I've managed to lift at least three times every week since the week after Christmas. I've had some fairly modest strength gains there, but that's not really my focus since I've done "ok" over the years with strength training.

So as of today my weight loss is in the 48-55 pound range. Official number (since 1/7) is 47.8 pounds, with a change in scales during that time, so who the eff knows the actual number?

I haven't actually made sweeping changes to my diet. The main thing I'm doing is counting my caloric intake, so I'm eating less of stuff I like, but I'm definitely still eating stuff I like. I tend to eat fairly healthy overall, just too much if I'm not paying attention. I rarely drink anything other than water or the occasional glass of wine, so no need to make changes their, either. I've just stopped eating 8 slices of bacon or half a rack of ribs in one setting. I've been particularly careful about two things other than overall calorie intake:

1. Eat at least 30 grams of fiber per day.
2. Maintain a 40/30/30 carb/protein/fat calorie split.

The former has been easy to accomplish by eating more apples, baked sweet potatoes, berries, and a particular brand of granola (back to nature pecan cranberry) that's high in fiber. The latter is something I found recommended to help mitigate the inevitable loss of muscle while losing weight. What's funny is that it wasn't much of a change for me. It's a bit lower in carbs and higher in protein and fat than the standard USDA recommendations, but quite similar to the way I like to eat anyway, so no huge change there either. I'm getting a higher percentage of protein in my diet than average, and doing high-weight/low-rep lifting 3 times per week to help prevent a big loss in lean muscle mass.

As far as goal and maintenance, basically I'm wanting to get to the 15-18% body fat range once again and maintain that. I'm not so much concerned about a specific weight as just being fit and healthy. Based on the lean mass calculations I've been doing, it looks like my target range is roughly 185-190 pounds with a 33 to 35 inch waist. I've used the LoseIt! app to track weight loss since 1/7, and I've got the goal weight there set at 189, so roughly 37 pounds to go.

And if the motivation of being healthy and intimidating enough to put the FEAR OF GOD into various middle and high school punks who will be chasing my beautiful daughters in the 2020s and early 2030s isn't enough, I just found out this week that in mid-November of this year I'll be playing at a gig in my home town in front of probably 1,500-2,000 people, many of whom will be old friends. I would think that by then I should be approaching or at my target, so I have to be honest and say that it'll be fun to look good once again for the home folks.

So...month-by-month (to be updated at each 10-pound loss or beginning of month)

Today: 226.2 (-3.5, -47.8)

Impressive work there, Ben. Keep it up!
Old 05-14-2013, 09:22 AM   #1741
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Still sitting at 225, but I am adding muscle right now and thinning out so not really going to complain.

I am in between waist sizes right now which is very annoying to me.

I need to run a little more.
Old 05-14-2013, 01:17 PM   #1742
finketr
College Prospect

Quote:
Still sitting at 225, but I am adding muscle right now and thinning out so not really going to complain.

i still weigh too much but the second clause is what I am going for. Thinning out, adding muscle = less weight loss but healthier.
finketr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 03:22 PM   #1743
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

I realized something very important yesterday - I eat and don't even realize it. I'm not talking about waking up in the middle of the night, sleepwalk to the fridge and grab leftovers, I mean if food's around I grab it and eat it. If food's in the break room, I grab some. If my daughter is munching on some chips, instinctively I grab some. My first thought isn't, "hey, I need to lose some weight, it's best to give it a pass", it's "I want some of this yumminess".

Last edited by Dodgerchick : 05-16-2013 at 03:33 PM.
Dodgerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 07:58 AM   #1744
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
5/17: 223.9 (-5.8, -50.1

Today was my second day under 224, so I reckon I can officially say that I'm down 50.

Also, I bought body fat calipers and an impedance body fat measurement tool this week. Both are measuring my body fat a bit under the standard tape measure charts, and more in line with what my wife and I would suspect that it is from looking at "what is your body fat" photo comparisons. It's not a *huge* difference. Basically these other measurements are dropping it from around 27-28% to around 24-25%, but if these are more accurate, it could increase my goal weight by 5-8 pounds or so. I'm pretty sure it's a case of "I'll know it when I see it," but of course I like playing with the numbers.
Old 05-17-2013, 08:04 AM   #1745
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
5/17: 223.9 (-5.8, -50.1

Today was my second day under 224, so I reckon I can officially say that I'm down 50.

Nice! congrats!

Old 05-17-2013, 11:05 AM   #1746
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Congrats Ben!

Nearing a milestone, as I weighed in at 337 this morning, down 14.0 pounds in the first 10 days. I expect that # to go down more hopefully, as the next two days are big "workout" days... (Three strings of bowling for a league tonight, and another bowl a thon tommorrow)
Old 05-17-2013, 10:00 PM   #1747
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

The good news is, as I said above, is I should be down 15 pounds in total as of tommorrow.

The bad news is I'm going to have to take at least a couple days off from exercising as I either overstressed the knee or tweaked it.. it was a pretty good ache up until the last ball, where either I slipped on the release step or it caught a little and I ended up losing my balance and falling.. It hurts, but there's not much swelling right now.

Probably should take it easy, I don't have another league bowling night till next wedensday

Last edited by SirFozzie : 05-17-2013 at 10:01 PM.
SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 02:11 PM   #1748
sabotai
General Manager

Week of May 12th: 228.01 average
Week of May 19th: 227.89 average (-0.13, -9.11 ovr)

Another week of just staying still. Didn't get to work out. My knees hurt like hell, which is what happens every time I try to run. It's going to start getting hot soon, and I was planning on retreating back to the ellipticals and exercise bikes at the gym anyway. But I also pulled something in my back at work, so I was pretty much in bed as much as possible, which I guess wasn't enough because my back still hurts.

Also, a few bad days with food....oh well. In that past, I'd be +5 over the last two weeks when bad days with food + no exercise (because it'd be 14 bad days instead of the 4 it's been over the last 2 weeks).

Minor victory for today: my weight today was 225.8, first time under 226 since my last serious weight lose attempt (~2 years ago). So very close to being at my lowest weight since college, ~15 years ago (which will be once I get under 225).
Old 05-21-2013, 10:34 AM   #1749
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post

Nearing a milestone, as I weighed in at 337 this morning, down 14.0 pounds in the first 10 days. I expect that # to go down more hopefully, as the next two days are big "workout" days... (Three strings of bowling for a league tonight, and another bowl a thon tommorrow)

Unfortunately, the injury kinda slowed it down, as I weighed in at 337.5 again today, hopefully the knee will be up to some walking today (Bowling tommorrow and friday, and I need to know if my knee will hold up)
Old 05-26-2013, 02:10 PM   #1750
sabotai
General Manager

Weight
March 25-31 (beginning): 237.00 avg
April 21-28 (4 weeks): 229.06 avg (-7.94 lbs)
May 19-26 (8 weeks): 226.20 avg (-2.86 lbs, -10.80 lbs ovr)

Fat Percentage
March 25-31: 34.51% Fat%
April 21-28: 33.33% Fat%
May 19-26: 32.73% Fat% (-1.79% ovr)

Muscle Percentage
March 25-31: 30.90% Musc%
April 21-28: 31.61% Musc%
May 19-26: 31.80% Musc% (+0.90% ovr)

Resting Metabolism
March 25-31: 2115.43
April 21-28: 2069.29
May 19-26: 2052.14 (-63.29 ovr)