Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-18-2009, 12:07 PM   #251
Kodos
Resident Alien

I don't understand why SFL and bad-example continue to watch if these "gaffes" are so unbearable. BSG, a cable TV program, has a limited budget. They can't just create new cars and musical instruments and whatever just for the sake of it not being a contemporary item due to money and time constraints. Hell, they've admitted that they had to do things like the boxing episode from last season just to save money that was spent on special-effects laden episodes.

If those things bother you that much, do yourself a favor and watch something else. Although I don't see many movies or shows out there that don't have similar problems. Just about any action movie these days is made up of a series of utterly unrealistic fight sequences. Guess I'll have to stop watching them and stick to The Price Is Right.

Last edited by Kodos : 03-18-2009 at 12:08 PM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 02:03 PM   #252
Bad-example
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
I don't understand why SFL and bad-example continue to watch if these "gaffes" are so unbearable.

Well, I watch because the show is still entertaining. The flaws detract from my enjoyment but I am as hooked as many of you.

Last edited by Bad-example : 03-18-2009 at 02:04 PM.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 03:18 PM   #253
Tigercat
College Starter

Multiple cultures separated in development on Earth envisioned dragons, a mythical creature that never existed.

Why is it impossible to accept hummer like vehicles or the same fashions and musical instruments in other cultures? Especially if this culture may be a decedent from ours or some sort of alternate timeline?

I don't think its about turning a blind eye, it is about having an active enough imagination or not.

Last edited by Tigercat : 03-18-2009 at 03:19 PM.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 09:21 PM   #254
Edward64
Head Coach

Missed the first half, but the second half is pretty frakkin good so far!
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 09:23 PM   #255
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Holy hell this is awesome!
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 09:32 PM   #256
Tigercat
College Starter

Well, friends, you have your answer, more or less, on how we miraculously developed the same clothes, tools, culture, ect as the BSG universe.

Spoiler
Old 03-20-2009, 10:10 PM   #257
Edward64
Head Coach

Well, the last 2 minutes really sucked.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:10 PM   #258
Tigercat
College Starter

Wow. Maybe the most satisfying series finale of all time for me. Moore and company deserve serious props on this one.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:12 PM   #259
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post

The only thing I didn't like about it was the goodbye to Kara's character. I liked the tongue in cheek fast forward.

Last edited by Tigercat : 03-20-2009 at 10:12 PM.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:14 PM   #260
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Awesome, awesome, awesome! So BSG actually becomes the first Earthlings and head Baltar and Caprica (as well as Starbuck it seems) were angels.

Great battle sequences and then everything coming together to frame a story of them forming the civilization of our Earth.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:16 PM   #261
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Disagree... All has happened before and all will happen again. Loved the final scenes
Old 03-20-2009, 10:18 PM   #262
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Welp, it was a great finale. Good deal and nice wrap up. More plotlines were wrapped up than I thought.

Spoiler
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 10:22 PM   #263
Tigercat
College Starter

In regards to 4
Spoiler
Old 03-20-2009, 10:31 PM   #264
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
I think only the last 20 seconds sucked. I didn't like the montage of news clips of robots. For a show that I thought always handled cultural commentary so well and subtlety, I felt like that segment was just a little over the top. I had no problem with the Baltar and Caprica scene.

Otherwise, one of the best series finales ever and one that for once lived up to the hype. The only thing I didn't really like was the Anakin Skywalker-esque missile attack on the base ship. The battle scenes were spectacular, and the scene when Tyrol turned on Tory was utterly fantastic.

I'm still not sure what to make of the fates and roles of Starbuck, Baltar and Caprica. Were they "angels?" I need Ronald Moore to explain it to me -- and nice cameo at the end for him.

It was a sad ending for some of the characters. I though I wasn't going to like the direction Adama was going but it turned out well.

And kudos to Moore for some nice head fakes along the way. I was fully on board with the theory a long time ago that this was in the past and we would find that the colonies were our ancestors. The discovery of the Cylon Earth was a great psych out and I fell for it. Tigercat nailed out -- you can't criticize the show know for using Earth beliefs, cultural and conventions.

Tremendously well done. Aces.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:34 PM   #265
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
In regards to 4
Spoiler

Spoiler
Old 03-20-2009, 10:36 PM   #266
kcchief19
Pro Starter

And can't wait for Battlestar Galactica: The Plan -- the attack on humanity from the Cylon side. More questions will be answered!
Old 03-20-2009, 10:37 PM   #267
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I had no problem with the Baltar and Caprica scene.

I thought that was absolutely delicious. A high point to end... but I wonder about that "You know he hates that name. Silly me..." part. Very mysterious. I doubt they were saying Hendrix was God (the song came on right after), but who knows?
Old 03-20-2009, 10:44 PM   #268
Tigercat
College Starter

That line re-enforced what Baltar(real Baltar) said earlier, that some force had to be interfering with and guiding what was happening. But that final line also reiterated that God as we think of him may not be that force. They are either leaving it up to the viewer or teasing it as something that will remain an ambiguous idea throughout the spin-offs.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:54 PM   #269
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Well they are leaving it up to the viewer, I'm sure... but an interesting sentence there.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:59 PM   #270
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Well they are leaving it up to the viewer, I'm sure... but an interesting sentence there.

What I mean as the alternate of purely leaving it up to the viewer is that Moore may have something specific in mind that has been interfering (and isn't "God.") Maybe some kind of Cylon like consciousness that has seen the cycle happen before. Something that could show up more significantly in a spin-off one day.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:05 PM   #271
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Interesting thing I just read. Last 2 minutes were also important to show why Hera was so important.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:24 PM   #272
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Interesting interview with Ron Moore:

Battlestar Galactica's Ron Moore Answers Our Burning Questions - Today's News: Our Take | TVGuide.com

Seems to indicate that Starbuck was more Jesus part 1 than an angel and that the last 2 minutes was something they thought was very important to make it current and applicable to us.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:38 PM   #273
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Btw, anyone else reminded of "Good Omens' by Pratchett & Gaiman in the final scene?
Old 03-21-2009, 12:58 AM   #274
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Interesting interview with Ron Moore:

Battlestar Galactica's Ron Moore Answers Our Burning Questions - Today's News: Our Take | TVGuide.com

Seems to indicate that Starbuck was more Jesus part 1 than an angel and that the last 2 minutes was something they thought was very important to make it current and applicable to us.

I like that more than her being an angel. Her ending was the only thing that really bothered me with the episode.

Edit: Just read that interview, and I still don't like her ending. Loved the rest of it.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 03-21-2009 at 01:00 AM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 01:13 AM   #275
Edward64
Head Coach

Is the assumption that BSG crew or their descendents mated with the natives? If so I think that's pretty bogus ... it would be like "animalistic".

Baltar and Caprica head versions ... angels, demons WTF? I know God works in mysterious ways, but the slaughter of billions of innocent people to do what, to break what cycle? sheesh.

Story of Job and the unnecessary cruelty to a human to win a bet and prove a point.
Old 03-21-2009, 01:26 AM   #276
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
Is the assumption that BSG crew or their descendents mated with the natives? If so I think that's pretty bogus ... it would be like "animalistic".

My impression of it is that the inter-mating would be a long term thing, after they had begun to interact with the natives and taught them to be more "civilized." At least a few generations down the line.
Old 03-21-2009, 01:42 AM   #277
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Baltar and Caprica head versions ... angels, demons WTF? I know God works in mysterious ways, but the slaughter of billions of innocent people to do what, to break what cycle? sheesh.
But I think that goes to the question of why does God (in whatever form you worship) allow massive pain and suffering.

One thing I forget to mention about the episode that I thought was a very nice touch ... the incorporation of the original show's theme song into the scene where the Galactica is flying into the sun. I think they did the something similar in the miniseries. Very nice.
Old 03-21-2009, 01:54 AM   #278
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
I like that more than her being an angel. Her ending was the only thing that really bothered me with the episode.

Edit: Just read that interview, and I still don't like her ending. Loved the rest of it.
I initially was neutral on her ending but after reading Moore's concept I buy it. At first I really wanted to know specifically what she was, but now I'm comfortable leaving it open to interpretation. Part of me wanted Kara and Lee to get a chance but clearly that was a fairy-tale ending I give them kudos for not going that route.

Two other things I keep forgetting to mention but the interview reminded me of: (1) I was glad to see Helo survive and make it to the end -- my heart just sank when he got shot because I didn't think he was going to make it; (2) the shot of Galactica flying over the moon and the screen panning to show Earth was just breathtaking.

Edit: Last addition, I swear. It's been mentioned early but the scene intercutting the dream of Roslin, Boomer, Caprica and Baltar chasing Hera with the battle sequence was frakkin' brilliant.

Last edited by kcchief19 : 03-21-2009 at 10:47 AM.
Old 03-21-2009, 04:10 AM   #279
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

Well I had no problem with the clothing and things of that nature but did notice the similarities to modern things too but got to thinking that since modern humanity is the offshoot of cylon/human interbreeding(in the BSG Universe) it actually makes some sense. Didnt some models of cylons have a group memory imprint or something like that? So in the intervening years the encoded imprint from those thoughts stayed and every once in a while a trigger would release a snippet from those early settlers. That would explain the similar clothing styles, similar vehicles ,the piano, the Greek diety names etc etc.. Well, crap..Thats what i'm using to enjoy the damn fine series.

After all, I enjoyed Enemy at the Gates as an entertaining movie, discounting the fact the right rear drive sprocket spacing was wrong on the PzIII's and the PzIII's were in reality Swiss Pz 61's..If crap like that bothered me I would never enjoy any movie. Lighten up. Its just a show, not reality. Add some stuff to make it semi plausible and enjoy

Its 5am.... i've been up all night and cranky..if I rambled incoherently to damn bad

Last edited by Apathetic Lurker : 03-21-2009 at 04:12 AM.
Apathetic Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 06:20 AM   #280
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
My impression of it is that the inter-mating would be a long term thing, after they had begun to interact with the natives and taught them to be more "civilized." At least a few generations down the line.

Were we watching the same show??? There was at least one sex scene in every episode!
Old 03-21-2009, 07:37 AM   #281
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
The excessive body hair, bad teeth, semi-high brow ain't going away in a few generations.
Old 03-21-2009, 08:50 AM   #282
Bad-example
College Starter

That well and truly sucked. Zero interest in spin offs. They never explained the stuff that didn't belong and they blamed all the mystical bullshit on some type of god character. Completely lame.
Old 03-21-2009, 09:33 AM   #283
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The excessive body hair, bad teeth, semi-high brow ain't going away in a few generations.

Yeah, but with Ellen and Baltar...

Amusing stuff on the Twitterverse to the last 2 minutes, like warning people about the Roombas .
Old 03-21-2009, 09:34 AM   #284
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post
But I think that goes to the question of why does God (in whatever form you worship) allow massive pain and suffering.
Too gentle. In the context of this story, slaughter of x billions, a fair number of children and therefore true innocents.

I guess its a redeeming, uplifting story if you are one of the 30K+ that survived but otherwise, sheesh ... the religious overtones and how it ended with demons/angels/God's plan etc. really screwed it up for me.
Old 03-21-2009, 09:54 AM   #285
Raiders Army
Coordinator

I truly think that this finale will be judged much better than other serialized television finales like Lost.
Old 03-21-2009, 10:14 AM   #286
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Too gentle. In the context of this story, slaughter of x billions, a fair number of children and therefore true innocents.

I guess its a redeeming, uplifting story if you are one of the 30K+ that survived but otherwise, sheesh ... the religious overtones and how it ended with demons/angels/God's plan etc. really screwed it up for me.

Yeah, I agree I never so the story foundation to be based on such strong religious undertones.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 10:15 AM   #287
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
I thought that was absolutely delicious. A high point to end... but I wonder about that "You know he hates that name. Silly me..." part. Very mysterious. I doubt they were saying Hendrix was God (the song came on right after), but who knows?

I agree I actually liked the last two minute scene more than the character wrap up stuff preceding it.
Old 03-21-2009, 10:34 AM   #288
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:

I am going to go back and listen to that part but I believe Baltar said "IT hates that name "not him which adds even more mystery but certainly could point to some super being or supercylon like entity something like that. Unfortunately we may never know but I am sure Moore put it there for a reason and he at least plans on explaining someday if given the chance by the networks to of course. I like that for once a series has ended in reasonable amount of time and has answer 80-905 of the shows open questions...major ones at least.

Last edited by Galaril : 03-21-2009 at 10:35 AM.
Old 03-21-2009, 10:41 AM   #289
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I did go back and it sounds like "He"
Old 03-21-2009, 10:44 AM   #290
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:

Despite billions versus million, spiritually is there really much of a difference between the fictional holocaust of the colonies and the real holocast of Nazi Germany? To me a holocaust is a holocaust, and you're still left with the question of why a god would allow death on such a massive scale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
Yeah, I agree I never so the story foundation to be based on such strong religious undertones.
I didn't see it that way. In fact, I thought the finale underminded the religious overtones quite a bit.

I'm being overly simplistic here, but essentially there were four essential belief systems portrayed in the series: monotheism, polytheism, agnosticism and atheism. In the end, the show doesn't really answer the question of whether any of those answers are correct -- which is fine by me because we do not know. I understand that people who are committed to one of those belief systems will find a problem with the fact that the show doesn't definitively come down on their side. But I thought it was handled extremely well.

Oddly, discounting the blasphemy that was Galactica 1980, I think this show ended up honoring and connecting to the religion and mystical overtones of the original extremely well. The original series laid the groundwork for the concept that life here began out there, and that our cultures and religions were tied to Kobol. The original Galactica found pyramids and ruins that all tied in with ancient human civilizations.

I think it's accidental but ingenious that all the beliefs of found with the humans and Cylons are represented in our culture. Very well done in my mind.
Old 03-21-2009, 10:55 AM   #291
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
In the end, the show doesn't really answer the question of whether any of those answers are correct

Though it seems to indicate the atheist one is incorrect .
Old 03-21-2009, 12:33 PM   #292
SFL Cat
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
I don't understand why SFL and bad-example continue to watch if these "gaffes" are so unbearable.

Because I'm married with children and my ideal Friday night, unless I'm going out on a date with the wife, or going out with friends, is sitting at home channel surfing. Every now and then I come across BSG, watch some or most of it, and have always remained underwhelmed. If my wife is with me, she'll usually chime in with a "can we watch something else?"
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 12:44 PM   #293
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-example View Post
That well and truly sucked. Zero interest in spin offs. They never explained the stuff that didn't belong and they blamed all the mystical bullshit on some type of god character. Completely lame.

It turned into mysticism and pseduo-religious bullshit. I felt cheated out. The show I fell in love with in Season 1 rejects technology so completely? Really?
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 01:02 PM   #294
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-example View Post
They never explained the stuff that didn't belong.

Well you have officially shown what kind of viewer you are. Sorry, but if you didn't get satisfactory Sci-Fi answers to that after the finale, there is something wrong with you as a viewer, not something wrong with the show.
Old 03-21-2009, 03:09 PM   #295
Edward64
Head Coach

I did stay up to watch the last frakkin special (missed it last Mon?). Pretty fun. I really am going to miss those characters.

Instead of Caprica, I wish they spun off a BSG - next generation series, it would be fascinating to see how their descendents went on.

Also, forgot to mention the Galen scene with Tory was great.

Even with all its faults (i.e. Baltar), its been a while since another series has caught my attention. Kudos to the BSG crew ... I think 'frak' will stay in my vernacular for a while.
Old 03-21-2009, 03:11 PM   #296
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Great (looong) interview with Ron Moore:

See you on the other side: 'Battlestar Galactica's' series finale, 'Daybreak' | The Watcher

I like this about Starbuck:

Quote:
MR: I know that you don’t let yourself be guided by what you think the fan reaction might be, and you do what you feel is right for the show, but the ending of Kara – her just disappearing like that. That’ll certainly be a starting point for debate.

RDM: Oh yeah, it’ll be controversial. There will be people who will absolutely hate it and think that we failed in our mission. We debated it in the [writers] room, I thought about it a long time, and I had sort of the same answer. And the more I struggled to give definition to it, the less satisfying it became. There various avenues we went down, discussions, saying she’s specifically this or that. And every time it felt uninteresting and kind of pedestrian.

It felt like, if she’s truly connected to the Eternal, if she’s connected to this other power, this other thing in the universe, as long as you know she’s connected to it and she’s fulfilled her destiny, brought us to this place, brought us to two Earths, really, that’s enough. That should just be left to your imagination, left to your inquiry, left you to try to fill in the blanks we leave. That was my answer and I’m sure -- I know – people will debate it

Old 03-21-2009, 03:13 PM   #297
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
It turned into mysticism and pseduo-religious bullshit.

What do you mean "turned into"? The mysticism and religion was always there.

And it didn't reject technology as much as saying that technology and people have to move together. And, of course, one can easily see building the Cylons and then they try to destroy the human race to be more anti-technology.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 03-21-2009 at 03:14 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 04:25 PM   #298
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

It has all happened before, but it does not need to happen again.

T'was a great end to a great show.
Old 03-21-2009, 04:25 PM   #299
Bad-example
College Starter

Quote:
Well you have officially shown what kind of viewer you are. Sorry, but if you didn't get satisfactory Sci-Fi answers to that after the finale, there is something wrong with you as a viewer, not something wrong with the show.

Burn.
Old 03-21-2009, 04:39 PM   #300
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Awesome, awesome, awesome! So BSG actually becomes the first Earthlings and head Baltar and Caprica (as well as Starbuck it seems) were angels.

Great battle sequences and then everything coming together to frame a story of them forming the civilization of our Earth.

Methinks Kara was a "Christ" character. In that she had actually died, was resurrected (by "God"), and led humanity to its future.