Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: How do you want to die?
I want to keep a sound mine while my body fails me. 22 50.00%
I want to live as long as possible, even if my mind goes. 2 4.55%
I plan to die in a horrific trout fishing accident while still of sound mind and body. 20 45.45%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-12-2014, 09:02 AM   #1
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

How do you want to die?

Earlier today I passed by the retirement home where my Grandpa spent the last 10 years of his life. He died at age 97 and had a good life, especially as he retired at 55 and only started going downhill at 87, just after his wife died.

Obviously he kept in good physical shape to last that long, but the last 10 years were marked by a gradual loss of mental function. In the end his body did give out, and he died peacefully in his sleep, but I wonder if the last 5 years, especially, were worth it.

So it made me think? Would I rather keep the mind but lose the body, or stay alive as long as possible, even if some of it is in a mental fog?

Edit: Sorry, I meant "mind" in option 1, not "mine.".

Last edited by flere-imsaho : 11-12-2014 at 09:05 AM.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 09:07 AM   #2
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

In bed, stepped on by an elephant while having sex with 2 coeds.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 09:09 AM   #3
BillJasper
Pro Starter

I honestly don't know?
Old 11-12-2014, 09:30 AM   #4
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Warlord stole my idea.

And I've seen the dying process in homes for 6.5 years now. It's a rough one. Do not want.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 09:37 AM   #5
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

If you aren't of sound mind then you really aren't you anymore. Who would want to put their family through that?
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 09:45 AM   #6
JPhillips
General Manager

I'm going to hold out for Jon killing me over an ebola quarantine.
Old 11-12-2014, 09:46 AM   #7
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

"Died tragically rescuing his family from the wreckage of a destroyed sinking battleship."
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 10:02 AM   #8
Kodos
Resident Alien

I'd like to be eaten by a T. rex right before I start to decline.

======

On a serious note, my mother (aged 71) is going through this right now. She has been in decline for over 5 years. At first she had a mild cognitive impairment, then later received a dementia diagnosis. Her personality changed to become much more defiant and difficult. Her body has been failing her, and she has done nothing to help herself on that count. She's gone through a couple bouts with pneumonia. At this point, her quality of life is non-existent. If I were in her shoes, I would want to die immediately. There is nothing to look forward to for her. She will never get better. Worse, the whole situation is dragging my father down. He has some mobility challenges that'd probably be minimized if he lost weight, but he stress-eats constantly. I find myself in the sad position of hoping that my Mom dies quickly so that my Dad can get on with his life and enjoy whatever quality time he has left. Right now, so much of his effort is devoted to taking care of her.

As an aside, my Mom going through this starting in her mid-sixties was an eye opener for me. My grandparents all made it into their 90s and were functional until their final year or two (even the two who smoked). I figured genetics were on my side. Seeing what happened to my mother (along with the death of a friend at the age of 40 from natural causes) is what spurred me to start living a healthier lifestyle.

The short version of this is, put me out to pasture as soon as I start to really slip mentally. I'm in it for quality of time, not quantity.

Last edited by Kodos : 11-12-2014 at 10:17 AM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 10:25 AM   #9
molson
General Manager

Well a cheery Wednesday morning to you too flere.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 10:26 AM   #10
Radii
Head Coach

My dad declined both physically and mentally, very slowly over a decade after brain cancer. I was here helping to take care of him for the last 5. For me, the mental breakdown was the hard part. For mom who had to deal with the hygiene related parts of someone who couldn't get up on his own and go to the bathroom anymore she might have a different answer.

I'm way more scared of declining mentally than physically, though the idea of both bother me a LOT.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 10:30 AM   #11
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
I'm way more scared of declining mentally than physically

*slow nod*
Old 11-12-2014, 10:58 AM   #12
Subby
lolzcat

I want to live a long straight line and then fall off a cliff in my late 80s (mentally/literally/physically?) - everything I do now is geared toward having about 45 years left on this earth.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 11:02 AM   #13
korme
Go Reds

I want to die a slow, painful death like everybody else
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 11:05 AM   #14
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
I'm way more scared of declining mentally than physically, though the idea of both bother me a LOT.

Until last year, I had 3 grandparents, all in their 90s and still very sharp mentally. You can tell the mental processes are slower but they still all work. They are all in varying states of physical wellness, but, if you've been alive over 90 years, I think it's expected that things start to break down.

Rightly or wrongly, this lends itself towards me living with an eye optimistically towards getting to 100.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 11:15 AM   #15
Travis
Pro Rookie

Oddly enough, from about the age of 6 on, I always thought I'd die before I hit 50. Not sure why, but if that is to be the case, I hope I go out protecting or saving somebody from something and not some crappy accident. Had a couple of close calls already with car accidents.

Figure if/when I hit 50, then I'm good with sticking around as long as possible and hoping that science/medical advancements help me keep what mental faculties I do have.
Old 11-12-2014, 11:22 AM   #16
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
I want to live a long straight line and then fall off a cliff in my late 80s (mentally/literally/physically?) - everything I do now is geared toward having about 45 years left on this earth.

Ditto, but I'm trying to aim for mid-90s or 100.
Old 11-12-2014, 11:52 AM   #17
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandpa. I don't want to die screaming in terror like his passengers.

~~~~

Serious answer, after witnessing my Grandma go from Alzheimers I would not want that.

My Grandpa died a few years ago and he was very healthy, both physically and mentally, into his 90's. However when he finally failed he spent the last several weeks dying in the hospital with pneumonia and other illnesses, and he was in obvious pain. So that doesn't seem so great either.

I really hope that we have a euthanasia-type law in place by the time I reach either of those points, should I make it that far.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 12:02 PM   #18
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Euthanasia Coaster - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 12:11 PM   #19
timmae
College Starter

I want to stay around as long as possible... if the mind starts to go then it starts to go. Call me crazy then..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
She will never get better. Worse, the whole situation is dragging my father down. He has some mobility challenges that'd probably be minimized if he lost weight, but he stress-eats constantly. I find myself in the sad position of hoping that my Mom dies quickly so that my Dad can get on with his life and enjoy whatever quality time he has left. Right now, so much of his effort is devoted to taking care of her.

Kodos, definitely a rough situation there. It is tough on everyone but if there is a connection between them still (i.e. he hasn't written her off in his mind) then every additional minute together is worth it. I know if my wife's health starts to fail I would give anything, including my own life, for any additional time I could grab with her. Yes, it is not what once was, but what really is. The romantic in me would like to think that the ending of life is worse than anything else.
Old 11-12-2014, 12:19 PM   #20
digamma
Torchbearer

One day I'll be gone.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 12:53 PM   #21
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmae View Post
I want to stay around as long as possible... if the mind starts to go then it starts to go. Call me crazy then..

Kodos, definitely a rough situation there. It is tough on everyone but if there is a connection between them still (i.e. he hasn't written her off in his mind) then every additional minute together is worth it. I know if my wife's health starts to fail I would give anything, including my own life, for any additional time I could grab with her. Yes, it is not what once was, but what really is. The romantic in me would like to think that the ending of life is worse than anything else.

Sadly, a lot of her personality is already gone. She no longer cares about things she used to love. She barely interacts with the world. She just lies on her bed with the shades drawn all the time. Sweets are the only things she still seems to enjoy. She makes no attempt to interact with the others in her Alzheimer's/dementia unit. She often sleeps during visits. Dad will try to do nice things like bring her cat in for a visit, but those things usually blow up in his face.

Last edited by Kodos : 11-12-2014 at 12:54 PM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 01:14 PM   #22
BillJasper
Pro Starter

I remember my wife's grandfather when he started to fail, he was 90 and had lost her grandmother earlier in the year. All the man wanted was a Coca-Cola and they kept refusing him. I started bringing in the 8-pack, 8 ounce cans and hiding them in his drawer. The old man was able to get up, get them and open them when he refused to do anything else.

I hope when I'm dying they don't deny me the things I've loved all my life.
Old 11-12-2014, 01:33 PM   #23
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

WHEN I have fears that I may cease to be
Before my pen has glean'd my teeming brain,
Before high pil`d books, in charact'ry,
Hold like rich garners the full-ripen'd grain;
When I behold, upon the night's starr'd face,
Huge cloudy symbols of a high romance,
And feel that I may never live to trace
Their shadows, with the magic hand of chance;
And when I feel, fair creature of an hour!
That I shall never look upon thee more,
Never have relish in the faery power
Of unreflecting love;—then on the shore
Of the wide world I stand alone, and think,
Till Love and Fame to nothingness do sink.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 01:41 PM   #24
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmae View Post
I want to stay around as long as possible... if the mind starts to go then it starts to go. Call me crazy then.

Have you witnessed the last years of an Alzheimer patient? It's horrible. They spend a lot of time upset and scared. They go through periods where they don't know where they are, what's going on, who the people are around them, and it's terrifying. Like if you were a little kid lost and confused, except it happens over and over and over and over. They also go through lots of other periods where there is clarity, but the clarity is made horrible because suddenly they realize what is happening to them, which is mentally tormenting. "I'm so sorry for putting you through this son!" etc.

It's one thing to say "yeah living in a home and not remembering things would suck" but it's another to witness the anguish. It's mental torture for months and years.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 01:42 PM   #25
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

"In my own bed, with a belly full of wine and a maiden's mouth around my cock, at the age of eighty."
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 01:50 PM   #26
Suicane75
Coordinator

If I had my druthers it would involve Lynda Carter and some sort of smothering.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 02:42 PM   #27
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Well a cheery Wednesday morning to you too flere.

flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 05:40 PM   #28
dzilla77
High School Varsity

"It's better to burn out, than to fade away"
dzilla77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 07:04 PM   #29
MrBug708
Head Coach

"In my own bed, with a belly full of wine and a maiden's mouth around my cock, at the age of eighty,"
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 07:09 PM   #30
PilotMan
Head Coach

"How don't you want to die," seems like an easier question.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 08:22 PM   #31
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzilla77 View Post
"It's better to burn out, than to fade away"

Only if you're a rockstar.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 11:12 AM   #32
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

After the rest of you.
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW
OldGiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 11:49 AM   #33
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
Only if you're a rockstar.

Or an immortal who can only die if they lose their head.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 11-13-2014, 11:51 AM   #34
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Or an immortal who can only die if they lose their head.

Probably not him, tho. I heard there can be only one

SI

Old 11-13-2014, 11:56 AM   #35
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Probably not him, tho. I heard there can be only one

SI

I also heard that they weren't really immortals at all, but rather aliens from the planet Zeist. True story.
Old 11-13-2014, 12:34 PM   #36
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I also heard that they weren't really immortals at all, but rather aliens from the planet Zeist. True story.

And something about the ozone layer and... NO, HIGHLANDER 2 NEVER HAPPENED!

SI

Old 11-13-2014, 06:10 PM   #37
Desnudo
Coordinator

On a huge pile of money with many beautiful women
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 07:16 AM   #38
Silver Owl
High School JV

3 years ago I would have been on the "don't want to live when the mind is gone" side of things but after being recently diagnosed with a genetic degenerative brain condition and actually facing that scenario it makes that answer a little less certain.
Silver Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 10:11 AM   #39
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Oof. Sorry to hear that

SI