Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-15-2016, 10:12 PM   #1
sabotai
General Manager

Chris Mortensen diagnosed with throat cancer

ESPN’s Chris Mortensen diagnosed with cancer

Quote:
Chris Mortensen, the longtime NFL reporter and analyst for ESPN, is temporarily stepping down from his ESPN assignments because of Stage IV throat cancer.

ESPN NFL Insiders host Suzy Kolber announced her colleague’s diagnosis on that program this afternoon. According to sources, Mortensen has been feeling sick for the past couple of months.

“More than a week ago, I was diagnosed with a Stage IV throat cancer,” Mortensen said in a statement on Friday. “My focus shifted significantly to gathering information about the specifics of this cancer. The initial diagnosis was confirmed Friday and there is another test remaining that will determine the best possible treatment plan that will commence in the very immediate future. Consequently, with the support and encouragement from ESPN president John Skipper and many others at ESPN, I am temporarily stepping away from my normal NFL coverage duties to better engage this opportunity to fight the good fight that is projected to affect almost 1.7 million Americans with new cases in 2016.

“I have many inspirational examples of men, women and children who have faced this very fight. We all know somebody, right? I also have the love and prayers of my wife Micki, my family, my friends, colleagues and, most of all, my faith that serve as sources of tremendous strength. I have a peace about this and look forward to the battle.”

sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 05:10 AM   #2
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

That is heart-breaking. I like old Mort.
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 08:48 AM   #3
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Me too
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 09:17 AM   #4
Kodos
Resident Alien

Beat this, Mort.
Old 01-16-2016, 09:55 AM   #5
BYU 14
Coordinator

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Beat this, Mort.

This!!!!!
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 12:49 PM   #6
miami_fan
Coordinator

Well damn...
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 01:28 PM   #7
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Stage 4.

That's a tough diagnosis to get.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 03:23 PM   #8
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Stage 4.

Yeah. Was he a smoker or opposed to going to the doctor? I admit to know very little but I thought almost all cancer went through the stages somewhat slowly.

And of course I hope for the best and hopefully a misdiagnosis of stage IV. Way too many people getting this shitty news every day it seems. :-(
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 03:52 PM   #9
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Stage 4.

Survival rates vary depending on the specific location, but everything I saw was under 50%.