Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 05:36 PM   #2
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Meh.
Old 12-10-2013, 05:42 PM   #3
chadritt
High School Varsity

Love it. Great teaser and one heck of a cast too.

Last edited by chadritt : 12-10-2013 at 06:35 PM.
chadritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 06:09 PM   #4
cuervo72
Head Coach

History shows again and again that man will keep making Godzilla movies.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:19 PM   #5
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Looks sweet. I've been a Godzilla fan since forever. When I was five my family moved to a new house. My sister, who was eight at the time, toole around to introduce is to our new neighbors. We only made it three houses before my sister ran home on years because I kept introducing myself as "Godzilla."
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 07:35 PM   #6
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Wait......so there's a big lizard wrecking a town in this one?
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 08:05 PM   #7
Desnudo
Coordinator

Fuck and yeah
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 08:19 PM   #8
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

I think they should remake it so that Godzilla is this intensely passionate vegan and he runs for president and wins, but then it turns out he is actually this really genius villain and then he uses a combination of fear, intelligence, and charisma to enslave all of humanity. The ending is open for a continuation, leading to the sequel- a remake of The Matrix with Paul Rudd as Neo.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 08:28 PM   #9
Kodos
Resident Alien

I'm in!
Old 12-10-2013, 08:28 PM   #10
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

HOORAY!

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 08:31 PM   #11
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post

Love it

(Oh, no, they say they want some dough, go go Godzilla...)

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 08:31 PM   #12
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Wait......so there's a big lizard wrecking a town in this one?

Finally! Something we can agree on!

SI

Old 12-10-2013, 08:53 PM   #13
PadresFan104
High School Varsity

IN!!!
PadresFan104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 09:28 PM   #14
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Love it

(Oh, no, they say they want some dough, go go Godzilla...)

SI

Old 12-10-2013, 11:27 PM   #15
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

Kind of wish Godzilla hit sf, maybe the rents would go down
AENeuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 06:55 AM   #16
gstelmack
Pro Starter

I love the part where the military special forces HALO jump has red flares streaming smoke to make it easier for Godzilla to spot them and eat them on the way down...
Old 12-11-2013, 07:25 AM   #17
Desnudo
Coordinator

Don't they usually do that jumping into hostile territory? "Hey guys, here we come!"
Old 12-11-2013, 09:42 AM   #18
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Food! Falling from the sky...
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 11:06 AM   #19
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
And history shows again and again that man will be disappointed in Godzilla movies.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 11:09 AM   #20
Kodos
Resident Alien

It HAS to be better than the Matthew Broderick version. Although I'm slightly worried that the head doesn't look like the classic Godzilla head.

Not liking Godzilla is un-American. Or at least un-Japanese.
Old 12-11-2013, 12:09 PM   #21
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
It HAS to be better than the Matthew Broderick version. Although I'm slightly worried that the head doesn't look like the classic Godzilla head.

Not liking Godzilla is un-American. Or at least un-Japanese.

My dog's poop this morning on our walk (which I picked up and threw in the trash like any responsible dog owner) was better than the Matthew Broderick version.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 12:22 PM   #22
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post
And history shows again and again that man will be disappointed in Godzilla movies.

It's folly, for sure.
Old 12-11-2013, 12:38 PM   #23
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post

Yet they still pull in the dough, even if they star Matthew Broderick.
NobodyHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 12:58 PM   #24
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It's folly, for sure.

It's better than walking around with a purposeful grimace and a terrible sound

SI

Old 12-11-2013, 07:29 PM   #25
Mike Lowe
College Prospect

I'd rather they had made next gen Rampage.
Mike Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 07:33 PM   #26
Desnudo
Coordinator

There will be a video game. It definitely won't be as good as Rampage.

Apparently you can play the original on iPad

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/midw...476467441?mt=8

Last edited by Desnudo : 12-11-2013 at 07:35 PM.
Old 12-11-2013, 08:06 PM   #27
tarcone
Coordinator

I think Godzilla looks pretty good. I think this may the next movie I go to (I dont see many movies at the theater).

And that Mathew Broderick Godzilla was a sham. It should be eliminated from our collective memory.

I cant wait until they remake Monster Island. And have Son of Godzilla blowing smoke rings. Classic.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 09:10 PM   #28
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo View Post
There will be a video game. It definitely won't be as good as Rampage.

Apparently you can play the original on iPad

Midway Arcade on the App Store on iTunes

Which wasn't nearly as good as Crush Crumble Chomp:

Crush, Crumble and Chomp - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia!
Old 12-12-2013, 09:53 AM   #29
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

I have spent a considerable amount of my time thinking about this during my lifetime. It's an obsession really. Without the upside. For some reason, I have thought this could be a perfect movie if done correctly. What does that mean? That is obviously different for everyone. But, I go back to the franchise in the early days and think of what I thought was cool and what I thought was stupid.
1. The American version of the original had many cool elements that were amazingly ahead of their time. First, it was happening in a foreign country. To me, that added mystery. I don't want this creature walking around New York. I don't want us to be the center of the story.
2. The setup was cool as a kid. The flash of light on the ship, as horrified soldiers scurried. The islanders already knew about the dangers. The footstep sounds and the roar were beautiful and you never saw him until later. It was a great build up, similar to how Jaws was done later.
3. The character development. While not great, I still think the original did a good job of developing each character and motivation enough to care about them beyond the typical current Hollywood stereotypes. While the one eyed professor who lost the girl was a bit over the top, who didn't feel bad when he sacrificed himself to kill the monster and destroy his oxygen destroyer at the same time.
4. Music - there was something great about that score in the first movie. The army march, the ship farewell song, the fighting sequences, for mood and substance I put up against anything.
5. Follow up Godzillas- the only concepts I thought were cool as a kid were "some" of the other creatures. Rodan. Loved that setup. It seemed like a tough creature to kill. And when he would topple bridges and structures with his speed flying by, that seemed legit. Mothra - come on! A moth! And 2 midget annoying singers singing the same thing over and over. No. Mecha-Godzilla - I remember thinking the villain seemed legitimately scary and valid, the mechanical Godzilla was too much to accept.

So, what would I like to see?

We have come light years in technology and video tricks, but I would love to see a non love story about a threat in some foreign land, that sort of gets it feet from social media and the debate on its validity by us. Make it seem mysterious enough to avoid getting all he data all at once. Have me have to sort the misinformation from the real. Make me work a little as a viewer to yearn a little to see what's coming. I don't mean have dust clouds obscure Godzilla as they do a slow reveal scene to scene.
Keep the roar. Keep it. Use the same original roar. It was bad ass, is still bad ass, and quit trying to one up perfection.
Update some of the original score and use it. This would tie the viewer nostalgically, if they watched the originals, to the story and feel good watching it. I am positive this would work.
America is very slow to react to crisis it doesn't have a vested interest in. We have seen this time after time. If the story were to be the American viewpoint, I would enjoy seeing it begin with stories about a creature in a foreign land begin on Reddit or something and start to gain traction. I don't want to see one lone hero ahead of everyone else try to get the powers that be to understand. "
Hero: " don't you see, we are all in terrible danger!"
General: "Get em outta here!"
None of that. A slow build where people start to share info, debate it's validity, and feel no real threat because it's not happening here, until as more and more info comes in, the real threat becomes obvious, and then as Americans we start to overreact. I would then love a switch in narrative where the powers that be working with the science community try to figure out how to stop this destructive force without damaging our planet, and a host of other moral debatable points. Have no one be the obvious bad guy, have no goofy person in power holding back an obvious solution. Have these people working diligently to figure it out and show the highs and lows of the process. Make Godzilla's choices have some bearing in fight or flight DNA. He's not going to be so smart to outthink humans, but he's been a survivalist long enough to know when to hit the ocean to run from stuff. Show sacrifice for the greater good without the sappy Armageddon scenes. Have some surprises that don't follow Hollywood templates. Don't have Will Smith punching him in the nose and then saying something street. Have a nation little regarded come up with a good solution. South Korea perhaps. Have Giant Squids wash up on shore. Have radiation poisoning start killing the fish supply. Have a main character bite the bullet randomly and non related to the creature.(ie car wreck). No cute kids who are smarter than adults. As a matter of fact, kill a kid like in Jaws. In the end, would like to see how we handle the threat with some depth, as much as the actual threat itself. I go back to Jaws. The reason people clapped when Brody blew up Jaws was, this group of guys had tried several legitimate ways to kill him. None worked. And it looked like there was no way out of the situation. Until it was down to pure survival. Him or me. And it looked bad, and that tension seemed legitimate and not forced or made up. And then he kills the shark and the audience s allowed to release that 2 hours worth of tension. A payoff for the viewer. That's the way to make this a classic. Now if anyone would like to know my thoughts on China, let me know. (Drops mic)
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 10:24 AM   #30
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I love most of that. So what you're saying is that Roland Emmerich or Michael Bay will not be involved.

One tangent that we might get lost in: don't just kill the main character randomly. We've evolved beyond the 70s movie making style: stories do need a narrative arc. If there is a character to be killed randomly at one point, they cannot be the main character and it does have to have a purpose. If they were the main character, that is the storyteller's fault as said character should have been de-emphasized sooner if they were not truly the main character. Also, the purpose could be a myriad of things like to show the horrors of the war, to create emotional attachment with the audience, whatever. But not pointlessly, not needlessly. If they die that way, then, again it needs to be a movie about the randomness of death or fate or whatever- you can't upstage something so behemoth as Godzilla with a small human tragedy. It's just bad storytelling. Also, for the love of god, it must be believable and can't be deus ex machina (Lt: "the only guy who could stop Godzilla just died on the 405, taking his wife to pilates!" General, who is played by Charles Napier's corpse: "Mr President, I told you we needed to give him a driver. Now we're all doomed!")

SI

Old 12-12-2013, 10:48 AM   #31
Senator

I want a randomness of life thing to happen, irrespective to Godzilla. This stuff happens everyday. During WW2 FDR died, while still fighting Japan. Oh shit, what are we going to do with a failed haberdasher in the White House? Well, he says to bomb the shit out of them. Story arc changes. I don't want ONLY one guy be the answer. Things never work that way. Show collaboration and overcoming when key characters wash out. Everyone is expendable, life goes on, and I never get that from a movie. Except maybe To Live and Die in LA.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Old 12-12-2013, 12:01 PM   #32
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
I want a randomness of life thing to happen, irrespective to Godzilla. This stuff happens everyday. During WW2 FDR died, while still fighting Japan. Oh shit, what are we going to do with a failed haberdasher in the White House? Well, he says to bomb the shit out of them. Story arc changes. I don't want ONLY one guy be the answer. Things never work that way. Show collaboration and overcoming when key characters wash out. Everyone is expendable, life goes on, and I never get that from a movie. Except maybe To Live and Die in LA.

Well, and Executive Decision, when they killed off Steven Segal.

Or Toy Soldiers, when Wesley Crusher bought it...
Old 12-12-2013, 12:04 PM   #33
Kodos
Resident Alien

How come we never see Godzilla eat anything? Or take a fire crap?

Last edited by Kodos : 12-12-2013 at 12:04 PM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 12:09 PM   #34
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
How come we never see Godzilla eat anything? Or take a fire crap?

This is what would get me to buy a ticket!
Old 12-12-2013, 01:06 PM   #35
Senator

I think a better way to put it, is I would like the sentimentality taken out. I don't want a feel good treatment of Godzilla. I would like some of that hard realism that Jaws had to permeate this subject matter. Quint was disliked by everyone,why, because he was very dislikable? And he kept that persona until the end. They killed a little boy and showed a very powerful scene with the grieving mother that put the hero in a negative light. ( knew they had a shark attack before the boy was killed). There was little sentimentality at all in it. I know we are talking about a giant lizard, but it's had the goofy send up and the Hollywood send up, it would be nice to see a mature send up sans the Fast & Furious version.

Old 12-12-2013, 01:07 PM   #36
Senator

You didn't see him crap fire in Destroy All Monsters? Epic moment.

Old 12-12-2013, 01:09 PM   #37
cuervo72
Head Coach

This settles it - I want Senator to write the Connect Four treatment.
Old 12-12-2013, 01:33 PM   #38
Senator

Wasn't that the original working title of The Human Centipede?

Old 12-12-2013, 02:09 PM   #39
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Wasn't that the original working title of The Human Centipede?

Jolly good show.
Old 12-12-2013, 04:47 PM   #40
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

If this movie doesn't have a guest appearance by Jet Jaguar, I'm giving it two thumbs down.
Old 12-12-2013, 08:24 PM   #41
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

It definitely looks great, but we haven't seen any of the parts that include writing yet - which will likely be fucking garbage.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 08:38 PM   #42
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
I think a better way to put it, is I would like the sentimentality taken out. I don't want a feel good treatment of Godzilla. I would like some of that hard realism that Jaws had to permeate this subject matter. Quint was disliked by everyone,why, because he was very dislikable? And he kept that persona until the end. They killed a little boy and showed a very powerful scene with the grieving mother that put the hero in a negative light. ( knew they had a shark attack before the boy was killed). There was little sentimentality at all in it. I know we are talking about a giant lizard, but it's had the goofy send up and the Hollywood send up, it would be nice to see a mature send up sans the Fast & Furious version.

If they did some sort of combo between Aliens and Cloverfield, I'd be down. I'm expecting Pacific Rim + Fast and Furious though.
Old 02-25-2014, 02:43 PM   #43
Kodos
Resident Alien

27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=9,0,47,0">

Yes, please.
Old 02-25-2014, 04:03 PM   #44
tarcone
Coordinator

Im in.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 12:52 PM   #45
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
I have spent a considerable amount of my time thinking about this during my lifetime. It's an obsession really. Without the upside. For some reason, I have thought this could be a perfect movie if done correctly. What does that mean? That is obviously different for everyone. But, I go back to the franchise in the early days and think of what I thought was cool and what I thought was stupid.
1. The American version of the original had many cool elements that were amazingly ahead of their time. First, it was happening in a foreign country. To me, that added mystery. I don't want this creature walking around New York. I don't want us to be the center of the story.
2. The setup was cool as a kid. The flash of light on the ship, as horrified soldiers scurried. The islanders already knew about the dangers. The footstep sounds and the roar were beautiful and you never saw him until later. It was a great build up, similar to how Jaws was done later.
3. The character development. While not great, I still think the original did a good job of developing each character and motivation enough to care about them beyond the typical current Hollywood stereotypes. While the one eyed professor who lost the girl was a bit over the top, who didn't feel bad when he sacrificed himself to kill the monster and destroy his oxygen destroyer at the same time.
4. Music - there was something great about that score in the first movie. The army march, the ship farewell song, the fighting sequences, for mood and substance I put up against anything.
5. Follow up Godzillas- the only concepts I thought were cool as a kid were "some" of the other creatures. Rodan. Loved that setup. It seemed like a tough creature to kill. And when he would topple bridges and structures with his speed flying by, that seemed legit. Mothra - come on! A moth! And 2 midget annoying singers singing the same thing over and over. No. Mecha-Godzilla - I remember thinking the villain seemed legitimately scary and valid, the mechanical Godzilla was too much to accept.

So, what would I like to see?

We have come light years in technology and video tricks, but I would love to see a non love story about a threat in some foreign land, that sort of gets it feet from social media and the debate on its validity by us. Make it seem mysterious enough to avoid getting all he data all at once. Have me have to sort the misinformation from the real. Make me work a little as a viewer to yearn a little to see what's coming. I don't mean have dust clouds obscure Godzilla as they do a slow reveal scene to scene.
Keep the roar. Keep it. Use the same original roar. It was bad ass, is still bad ass, and quit trying to one up perfection.
Update some of the original score and use it. This would tie the viewer nostalgically, if they watched the originals, to the story and feel good watching it. I am positive this would work.
America is very slow to react to crisis it doesn't have a vested interest in. We have seen this time after time. If the story were to be the American viewpoint, I would enjoy seeing it begin with stories about a creature in a foreign land begin on Reddit or something and start to gain traction. I don't want to see one lone hero ahead of everyone else try to get the powers that be to understand. "
Hero: " don't you see, we are all in terrible danger!"
General: "Get em outta here!"
None of that. A slow build where people start to share info, debate it's validity, and feel no real threat because it's not happening here, until as more and more info comes in, the real threat becomes obvious, and then as Americans we start to overreact. I would then love a switch in narrative where the powers that be working with the science community try to figure out how to stop this destructive force without damaging our planet, and a host of other moral debatable points. Have no one be the obvious bad guy, have no goofy person in power holding back an obvious solution. Have these people working diligently to figure it out and show the highs and lows of the process. Make Godzilla's choices have some bearing in fight or flight DNA. He's not going to be so smart to outthink humans, but he's been a survivalist long enough to know when to hit the ocean to run from stuff. Show sacrifice for the greater good without the sappy Armageddon scenes. Have some surprises that don't follow Hollywood templates. Don't have Will Smith punching him in the nose and then saying something street. Have a nation little regarded come up with a good solution. South Korea perhaps. Have Giant Squids wash up on shore. Have radiation poisoning start killing the fish supply. Have a main character bite the bullet randomly and non related to the creature.(ie car wreck). No cute kids who are smarter than adults. As a matter of fact, kill a kid like in Jaws. In the end, would like to see how we handle the threat with some depth, as much as the actual threat itself. I go back to Jaws. The reason people clapped when Brody blew up Jaws was, this group of guys had tried several legitimate ways to kill him. None worked. And it looked like there was no way out of the situation. Until it was down to pure survival. Him or me. And it looked bad, and that tension seemed legitimate and not forced or made up. And then he kills the shark and the audience s allowed to release that 2 hours worth of tension. A payoff for the viewer. That's the way to make this a classic. Now if anyone would like to know my thoughts on China, let me know. (Drops mic)

It's go time. Let's see how much they got right!
Old 05-16-2014, 01:53 PM   #46
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Saw it. Loved it.
Old 05-16-2014, 02:19 PM   #47
PadresFan104
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
Saw it. Loved it.

+1

Exceeded my expectations.
Old 05-17-2014, 07:54 PM   #48
Kodos
Resident Alien

Best giant monster movie ever.
Old 05-17-2014, 08:05 PM   #49
Blackadar
Retired

Saw it. Ok, but didn't love it. Didn't hate it either, but it was instantly forgettable. Besides the shocker involving a major character relatively early in, it didn't have much suspense. Godzilla seemed relegated to almost being a bit part in his own movie. The characters were all extremely FLAT (bar one, but that ended after said shocker). Ken Watanabe is one of my favorite actors, but another shot of him staring into the distance at something would have made me scream. The monster action was good and it certainly did a good job of conveying size, but it just didn't grip me all that much because it didn't look real. It was certainly an homage to the old way of dino-fighting, but it looked too fake. It would get 2 stars out of 4 for me and I love disaster flicks.

Frankly, I think Cloverfield was a better movie with a much smaller budget. At least it had some genuinely interesting / suspenseful sequences, even if the characters were annoying and the shaky-cam was overdone.

Last edited by Blackadar : 05-17-2014 at 08:07 PM.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 07:49 PM   #50
PadresFan104
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadar View Post
The monster action was good and it certainly did a good job of conveying size, but it just didn't grip me all that much because it didn't look real. It was certainly an homage to the old way of dino-fighting, but it looked too fake. It would get 2 stars out of 4 for me and I love disaster flicks.

Wow. I was blown away by how real/organic the monster fighting looked. I thought they nailed the sense of scale, weight, etc.