Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-09-2023, 09:16 AM   #151
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Ok, you are going to have to explain it to me like I am five. Prius and other hybrids have alternators on their wheels. They regenerate the battery through braking (at least that was my understanding). Why can't you do that with EV's? It is just recapturing some of the energy created by moving.

A quick Googling of the question will get your answer.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 01:18 PM   #152
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
A quick Googling of the question will get your answer.
Ah, so the answer is they do:

"Now, electric cars do actually use their motors as generators (no need for a separate part) sometimes… instead of friction brakes. So as you slow down, or control your speed going down a hill, instead of turning kinetic energy into heat as the brakes do, you instead generate some electricity and put it back in to the battery. This is called regenerative braking."
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 01:46 PM   #153
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
We rode in a Lyft with a guy who had a Grand Cherokee. I asked him what he thought of it and he spent the entire 30 minutes talking about what a piece of shit it was. But he had a brother who worked at a dealership and got him him a deal on another SUV to drive while that one was in the shop 75% of the time he owned it. I was thankful it didn't break down on our ride.

My jeep was a 2010 and here are the things I remember having done between the time I bought it 2016 and got rid of it in 2021:

Electrical system replaced entirely
Some extensive transmission work
Radiator replaced
Rear shocks, struts, ect replaced
Water pump replaced
Driver side power window needed work
Multiple oil leaks fixed at various times

I'm sure there's more, but that's what I remember. It was a 3.7L V6 that got me about 15mpg on average and performed far worse in the PNW rain/snow than the 3 cylinder 1.5L Bronco Sport that I have now.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 01:52 PM   #154
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Ok, you are going to have to explain it to me like I am five. Prius and other hybrids have alternators on their wheels. They regenerate the battery through braking (at least that was my understanding). Why can't you do that with EV's? It is just recapturing some of the energy created by moving.

Essentially there’s a common belief among the non-science crowd that electric cars would have more range if they simply used the existing energy to recharge the battery via some “alternators on the wheels” design.

Usage in sentence -

“Man, they should put alternators on these wheels to charge the battery….it would run forever “

Flaw-
1st law of thermodynamics and/or second law

Last edited by stevew : 04-09-2023 at 01:55 PM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 01:54 PM   #155
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Regenerative braking gets back some of the energy but it’s a small percentage of the output. People seem to think you can recover like almost 100% of the energy used.
Old 04-09-2023, 02:02 PM   #156
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Essentially there’s a common belief among the non-science crowd that electric cars would have more range if they simply used the existing energy to recharge the battery via some “alternators on the wheels” design.

Usage in sentence -

“Man, they should put alternators on these wheels to charge the battery….it would run forever “

Flaw-

I literally LOLed. Thank you.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 02:38 PM   #157
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post

Usage in sentence -

Flaw-

I didn't even know this belief was a thing

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 04:33 PM   #158
stevew
Hall Of Famer

You’d be shocked at the shit I hear every day
Old 04-09-2023, 07:02 PM   #159
GrantDawg

I never believed anything like that either. I just knew that the Prius did have generators in the wheels that helped recharge the battery, and I really assumed all EV's did. And they do, even if it is a small amount if charge. I never thought they were perpetual motion machines.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
Old 04-17-2023, 07:31 AM   #160
Edward64
Head Coach

My first thought was it looks like a Kia. But the "well over" 300 mile range caught my eye. Article didn't state it but googling said about $50K, planned for 2024.

300 miles would be fantastic in a < $25K car. But not sure it'll be beat Tesla at $50K. Starting base model Tesla 3 is $44K with range of 272 (and long range model is 358). So think VW will have to do better.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/04/17/volk...-ev-range.html
Quote:
Volkswagen on Monday unveiled a new large electric sedan that it says will have well over 300 miles of range in its top-level trim.

Volkswagen’s new ID.7 will serve as a flagship for the automaker’s growing line of mainstream EVs.

Inside, the ID.7 is a roomy high-tech wonderland – as one would expect of a car designed to challenge Tesla’s Model 3 in markets around the world.

But still a very good sign

Quote:
The company expects about 80% of the VW brand’s sales in Europe, and about 50% of its sales in the U.S., to consist of electric vehicles by 2030.

Last edited by Edward64 : 04-17-2023 at 07:32 AM.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2023, 08:13 AM   #161
Edward64
Head Coach

Not much in the story so far but do wonder if GM will come out with a Bolt replacement. Article said the Bolt plant will be used for electric trucks. Would seem weird for GM to give up on that market.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/04/25/gm-b...this-year.html
Quote:
General Motors plans to end production of its electric Chevrolet Bolt models by the end of this year, CEO Mary Barra told investors Tuesday when discussing the company’s first-quarter earnings.

The Chevy Bolt EV and EUV, a larger version of the car, make up the vast majority of the company’s electric vehicle sales to date. However, the battery cells in the cars are an older design and chemistry than the automaker’s newer vehicles such as the GMC Hummer and Cadillac Lyriq.

Barra said a suburban Detroit plant that has produced Bolt models since 2016 will be retooled in preparation for production of electric trucks scheduled for next year.
Old 04-25-2023, 09:46 AM   #162
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Not much in the story so far but do wonder if GM will come out with a Bolt replacement. Article said the Bolt plant will be used for electric trucks. Would seem weird for GM to give up on that market.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/04/25/gm-b...this-year.html

The Bolt had run its course. It uses an outdated battery - BEV 2 - that GM is no longer using for any of its future EVs. They are switching to the Ultium Battery that is being produced by a JV between GM and LG.

The replacement vehicle for the Bolt will likely be the new EV Equinox. It's more expensive than the Bolt, but not massively so.

I am really not sure if GM will be making any type of affordable compact to mid-sized EV sedans. They, like other US OEMs, have pretty much abandoned those segments with ICE vehicles and I am not sure what the appetite is for building EVs in those segments.

There are pros and cons to giving up that segment for sure.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2023, 03:03 PM   #163
GrantDawg

My friend bought a Kia EV6 about 6 months ago. He loves it. Drove it from Augusta and back this weekend. Says he really never has a problem finding a charger. Sometimes he has to settle for a slow charger instead of a fast one, depending on where he is. But that rarely happens. Pays a fraction of what he used to pay in gas.
Old 04-25-2023, 08:54 PM   #164
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The Bolt was fine but its specs are really weak as compared to most of the new offerings. 54KWH max charge is painfully slow and awful to road trip with.
Old 05-03-2023, 03:20 PM   #165
Edward64
Head Coach

Tesla Cybertruck supposedly this Sept. I'm definitely not in the market for one but glad to see it finally come to fruition (announced Nov 2019). Supposedly starting from $50K (not sure I believe that).

My guess is it'll take a couple iterations before it's accepted by the F-150 crowd.

Tesla spotted testing Cybertruck suspension on test track | Electrek
Quote:
The automaker currently has a fleet of Cybertruck beta prototypes undergoing extensive testing ahead of the start of production, which is scheduled for this summer.

Over the last few months, those prototypes have been spotted testing around California a handful of times.

Now a Cybertruck has been spotted undergoing more extensive testing – this time on Tesla’s test track at the Fremont factory:
Couple additional notes on cargo & towing. F-150 towing is 5,000-11,300 and payload < 2,300, so Cybertruck is competitive.

Quote:
According to Tesla, the Cybertruck is supposed to have a 6.5-foot bed, which Teslarati notes is larger than any other current electric truck's bed. The Rivian R1T has a 4.6-foot bed, the Hummer EV's is 5 feet, and the F-150 Lightning's comes in at 5.5 feet. Get upfront price offers on local inventory.
Quote:
The Dual Motor can pull 10,000 pounds while the Tri Motor can tow a massive 14,000 pounds. Additionally, the Cybertruck offers a payload capacity of 3,500 pounds. It can easily pull different RVs, travel trailers, and lightweight 5th wheels.

Last edited by Edward64 : 05-03-2023 at 03:21 PM.
Old 05-03-2023, 03:30 PM   #166
GrantDawg

It is just soooo ugly.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 05-03-2023 at 04:43 PM.
Old 05-03-2023, 04:07 PM   #167
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Quote:
I is just soooo ugly.

Oh come on, someone can love you.
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 04:43 PM   #168
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Econ View Post
Oh come on, someone can love you.
No. No they won't.
Old 05-03-2023, 05:19 PM   #169
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Hoping to trade my wife’s car in for one in a couple years.
Old 05-03-2023, 05:28 PM   #170
RainMaker
General Manager

I don't get the appeal of the cybertruck. It just looks so plain.

My neighbor got a Dodge Ram Limited and took me for a spin. Now that's an impressive truck if I ever find $80k or whatever sitting around.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 05:41 AM   #171
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
My neighbor got a Dodge Ram Limited and took me for a spin. Now that's an impressive truck if I ever find $80k or whatever sitting around.

You better start drinking

https://insurify.com/insights/car-mo...ost-duis-2020/
Old 05-04-2023, 06:15 AM   #172
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

It seems evident to me that the appeal is specifically to people who don't care what it looks like?
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 07:15 AM   #173
Edward64
Head Coach

TBH I don't mind the design. I like the futuristic'ish look
Old 05-04-2023, 07:19 AM   #174
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

It doesn't look futuristic to me. It looks like a Nintendo 64 game

Sent from my CPH2451 using Tapatalk
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 07:23 AM   #175
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar v2 View Post
It doesn't look futuristic to me. It looks like a Nintendo 64 game

Sent from my CPH2451 using Tapatalk

Back-to-the-Future'ish

Quote:
Tesla Cybertruck + Delorean | Thoughts and design comparison

Tesla Cybertruck + Delorean | Thoughts and design comparison - YouTube

... and

Tesla Cybertruck replaces DeLorean in Back to the Future mashup - The Verge
Old 05-04-2023, 07:24 AM   #176
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Yes, it looks like something someone thought would be futuristic in an 80s video game.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 07:25 AM   #177
Ksyrup

Quote:

This is an interesting list. Pickup trucks and European luxury sedans.

See, we're all one America! We have way more in common than we want to admit.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 05-04-2023, 07:38 AM   #178
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
It seems evident to me that the appeal is specifically to people who don't care what it looks like?

Or if it's delivered on time.

Or if it can deliver any of its promises like unbreakable windows.

Or if you wanted the price that was originally stated.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 05-04-2023 at 08:29 AM.
Old 05-04-2023, 08:29 AM   #179
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post

I think the appeal is more what other people will think seeing them in it.
Old 05-04-2023, 09:00 AM   #180
Ksyrup

Quote:
I think the appeal is more what other people will think seeing them in it.

You mean the appeal to the rest of us, in a MST3K kinda way?
Old 05-04-2023, 09:12 AM   #181
Ksyrup

I guess this will appeal to a new generation of the same type of people who thought having a Hummer made them cool.
Old 05-04-2023, 09:28 AM   #182
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
We just bought a Toyota Sienna Hybrid. Our 2011 Sienna was a horrible gas guzzler, especially the last couple of years.

So, to follow up, we bought a dealer-used 2022 Toyota Sienna 6 weeks ago. In the test drive, we immediately noticed a pot smell. The dealership said no problem, we'll detail it and it'll be fine. We show up the next day to get it, and it smells okay. That soon changes. The smell returns. Several weeks are wasted trying different methods to remove the smell. Finally, last week, we gave up and traded it in for a 2019 Toyota Highlander Hybrid. Long story short -- if it smells like pot, that is not a fixable problem. Lesson learned.
Old 05-04-2023, 09:49 AM   #183
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
So, to follow up, we bought a dealer-used 2022 Toyota Sienna 6 weeks ago. In the test drive, we immediately noticed a pot smell. The dealership said no problem, we'll detail it and it'll be fine. We show up the next day to get it, and it smells okay. That soon changes. The smell returns. Several weeks are wasted trying different methods to remove the smell. Finally, last week, we gave up and traded it in for a 2019 Toyota Highlander Hybrid. Long story short -- if it smells like pot, that is not a fixable problem. Lesson learned.

The smell probably came from the valet.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 12:59 PM   #184
GrantDawg

Meanwhile, after seeing several Rivians in person I will say they actually look pretty good. Way more rugged looking than you would expect.
Old 05-04-2023, 10:16 PM   #185
Edward64
Head Coach

Things don't look that great for Rivian market wise.

I'll root for them because they want to bring jobs to GA and more competition is good.

Rivian’s Troubles Don’t End at a 93% Wipeout
Quote:
The relentless erosion in Rivian Automotive Inc.’s share price is revealing an ugly truth: Investors have little faith left in the ability of the Amazon.com Inc.-backed company to compete in a crowded electric-vehicle market.
Quote:
A market capitalization that exceeded $150 billion days after a blockbuster public trading debut in late 2021 now stands at less than $12 billion after a 93% stock wipeout, reflecting almost no value beyond the company’s cash hoard.

Another piece of interesting news is Fisker's battery swapping ... shoebox size. I don't know about this, I'd be worried about quality or getting a battery that has had too many cycles already etc. I'd maybe get one to swap for home though.

I think the current approach of increasing battery range and creating more charging stations is probably the right approach.

https://insideevs.com/news/665282/fi...mpatible-2024/
Quote:
According to the official press release, the first customers for the Ample-powered Ocean EVs will be “fleet operators who are looking to transition to electric mobility without economic or operational compromises.” In other words, private customers won’t have access to this variant of the vehicle, at least in the beginning.

As reported back in 2021, Ample’s swappable battery packs are made out of multiple same-size modules which measure roughly the same as a shoebox. As opposed to the single-pack approach (like the one NIO is using), Ample’s strategy – which is apparently inspired by Lego blocks – allows basically any EV to receive a compatible battery that can be subsequently swapped for a freshly-charged one at a swap station.
Old 05-08-2023, 09:57 AM   #186
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...nterest-rates/

Quote:
Spending on new cars by the lowest 20 percent of earners dropped to its lowest level in 11 years. Meanwhile, spending on new cars by the top 20 percent reached its highest level on record, going back to 1984, according to the most recent data from the 2021 Consumer Expenditure Survey, not adjusted for inflation.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 12:34 PM   #187
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

We're working really hard in this country to make it even harder to be poor.

If only we could get more bootstraps for all

SI

Old 05-08-2023, 01:31 PM   #188
GrantDawg

I have already resigned myself to the fact I will never be able to purchase a new car again.

Old 05-09-2023, 07:35 AM   #189
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I'm not even sure I ever want a new car again. Aside from the move to EV's everything else about newer cars seems like steps backwards, whether it be moving controls to touch screens, "lane assists", or hiding as much as they can behind subscriptions.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 12:28 PM   #190
Edward64
Head Coach

I'm not a big fan of Cathie as I got burnt with her ARK offerings (sold all of them and got out). But below caught my eye.

Anyone here own a Tesla and/or can speak intelligently if she is on the right track or way off? Googling has many articles that does seem to confirm the latest update was pretty significant. But not sure I'd trust the 2nd tier sites.

Access to this page has been denied.
Quote:
In an already heady week, Tesla (TSLA) CEO Elon Musk was the subject of more praise Wednesday, as star tech investment strategist Cathie Wood predicted the EV company's ambitious autonomous vehicle software was close to being perfected. Wood added that, as an investor in Tesla stock, she was not concerned by the possibility regulators may prohibit self-driving vehicles due to safety issues.
Quote:
Wood added she sees Tesla's Full Self-Driving (FSD) technology as the "most impactful AI project out there."

The ARK Investment leader said it seems like many people in the investment community must not own a Tesla and therefore do not understand the latest self-driving software upgrade.

"He's almost there,"
Wood said of Musk and autonomous driving. "We needed him to push and get us there, just like we needed him to push on the EV side and get us there."
And to answer the question on subscription $, found the below. I definitely don't have that kind of disposable income so will hope this is for real, and wait for competition to catch up.

Quote:
At the top of Tesla's self-driving pyramid is Full Self-Driving, which costs a whopping $15,000 upfront or $199 per month. This feature allows the car to see and react to traffic signals, and theoretically allows it to navigate autonomously on surface streets in addition to highways.
Old 05-11-2023, 12:33 PM   #191
Ksyrup

I would push back on anyone saying anything is close to being perfected. And even if it is perfected, we still have to get over the human psychology of it all which I don't think can happen until a couple of generations are phased out.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 05-11-2023 at 12:34 PM.
Old 05-11-2023, 12:42 PM   #192
Edward64
Head Coach

Although I won't be an early adopter, I can definitely see myself in one. Say, maybe after 5 years its generally available and with a pretty good safety record. I do live in suburbia so suspect the software "challenges" are much less than in a city.

I do not want to be a Dick Van Dyke driving at 90+.
Old 06-08-2023, 09:47 PM   #193
Edward64
Head Coach

It's great the industry is starting to coalesce on a standard for chargers.

Reminds me when the industry accepted Windows as a standard and there the drivers challenges were greatly reduced.

Quote:
General Motors will follow crosstown rival Ford Motor in partnering with Tesla to use the electric vehicle leader’s North American charging network and technologies.

GM, like Ford, will begin installing a charging port used by Tesla, known as NACS, instead of the current industry-standard CCS, in its EVs starting in 2025.
Old 06-13-2023, 07:33 AM   #194
Edward64
Head Coach

Great news if Toyota can pull this off by 2026 and can meet the 1k range target. Competition is good.

Stock Chart Icon
Quote:
The new unit, named BEV Factory, is aiming to produce electric vehicles with a range of 1,000 kilometers.

BEV Factory will introduce a full lineup of battery electric vehicles with “next generation” batteries from 2026.

This continues a more aggressive push by the Japanese automaker toward all-electric vehicles under new CEO Koji Sato.
Old 06-13-2023, 07:44 AM   #195
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
with a range of 1,000 kilometers

Speak English, Edward :-)
Old 06-13-2023, 07:48 AM   #196
Edward64
Head Coach

Sorry ... about 620 miles.
Old 06-13-2023, 07:55 AM   #197
GrantDawg

About 20000 car lengths (anything but meteric)

Last edited by GrantDawg : 06-13-2023 at 07:55 AM.
Old 06-13-2023, 08:01 AM   #198
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I think I've said this before in this thread, but we've got an old minvan that I am just really hoping survives for another few years.

I think that we'll be able to get so much more EV for our money in 3-4 years than we could today.
Old 06-15-2023, 02:28 PM   #199
Edward64
Head Coach

Tesla Truck spotted at In-and-Out joint. I like the camo job.

I'm thinking it'll be a hit for those with disposable income lying around.

Quote:
Tesla Twitter blogger Sawyer Merritt shared a rare video of a camouflaged Tesla Cybertruck stopping at In-N-Out Burger. The video quickly went viral, with many people commenting on the sight of the electric truck.

In the video Tesla engineers took the Cybertruck through the In-N-Out Burger drive-through yesterday.

What can I say: in my experience of following the Tesla Cybertruck, I think Cybertruck is a walking, silently talking, marketing machine, even when getting an In-N-Out burger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ee1Kjd-cd0k
Old 06-20-2023, 02:07 PM   #200
Edward64
Head Coach

This is good news about Walmart. Unsure if that's really their target market though? Maybe Target would be better. But every little bit helps.

There was a time when we made 8-9 hour drives to see the in-laws and there were Walmarts by the fast food exits. So I can see this helping out some non-traditional Walmart shoppers.

I wonder if they'll get some funding from the Infrastructure bill.

Walmart and Sam’s Club introduce ‘game-changing’ new feature at hundreds of stores across the country: ‘It’s a big win’
Quote:
As electric vehicles (EVs) become increasingly popular, Walmart has announced plans to build EV charging stations at thousands of Walmart and Sam’s Club locations across the country by 2030.

“With a store or club located within 10 miles of approximately 90% of Americans, we are uniquely positioned to deliver a convenient charging option that will help make EV ownership possible whether people live in rural, suburban, or urban areas,” wrote Walmart’s Senior Vice President of Energy Transformation Vishal Kapadia in a release.

So its about 4-5 charging stations average right now. Wonder how many they plan on building per.

Quote:
Already, 280 Walmart and Sam’s Club locations in the U.S. offer nearly 1,300 fast-charging stations for electric vehicles.

Also, are these the fast Tesla ones or the other ones? There's been news about other auto makers starting to use Tesla ones (Rivian is the latest).