Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-20-2007, 05:38 PM   #1
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Daylight Savings Time Change

Quote:
Y2K It Isn’t, But Watch Out For Daylight Savings Time Switch

By Dean Takahashi
Friday, February 16th, 2007 at 4:53 pm in General.

Rich Kaplan weathered the Y2K storm as the Microsoft customer service guy. Now the corporate vice president for customer service has to deal with the early arrival of Daylight Savings Time.
Don’t panic, he says. “Is this a mini-Y2K?” he said. “I don’t think so. It’s more of a nuisance.”
In its effort to save energy costs in North America, Congress voted to change daylight savings time so that it could maximize the daylight hours. This year, it arrives earlier than usual on Sunday March 11. The problem is that it will throw the clock off in your computer. While Y2K’s wrong date had the potential to bring computers to a halt, this one is just annoying, Kaplan says. Your VCR may record a show at the wrong time if you don’t change it. But your computer will keep on working.
All of Microsoft’s new software has the correct date for daylight savings time. But Outlook calendars may be off, and people who live by those Outlook alerts may have to reset the time.
For more information, go to (http://www.microsoft.com/dst2007)
To get an automatic update for Windows XP, just download the latest update patch in the lower right corner of your screen. Info is at http://update.microsoft.com.

I was apparently living under a rock when this was passed because I had no idea it was happening until our IT guy started pulling his hair out trying to update all our systems for DST change compliance.

The most costly disruptions occur when something we take for granted changes or stops working for a second. Am I the only one who thinks any "energy savings" generated will probably be flushed away with all the software changes and consternation this will cause? There are also plenty of devices with built-in daylight savings time that can't be updated, such as TVs and video recorders, so there will be a whole crapload of people ticked off.

I find this bizarre.

kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 05:48 PM   #2
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

It was part of the energy bill passed a year or two ago.

Last edited by Greyroofoo : 02-20-2007 at 05:48 PM.
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 09:10 PM   #3
cuervo72
Head Coach

TMQ had an explanation on why he thought this was a goofy idea. Something about a tradeoff of energy saved on electricity but lost in increased gasoline usage (or something like that).
Old 02-21-2007, 07:17 AM   #4
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Came in to an email this morning--

Quote:
As a result of the Energy Policy Act of 2005, Daylight Savings Time (DST) in the United States and Canada will begin three weeks earlier (on March 11) and end one week later (on November 4) in 2007. As a result of this change, all XXXXXX[company name] desktops will need an Operating System patch and Outlook script to realign your calendar.

The patch/script will be applied to corporate devices in phases over the next couple of weeks. To ensure that your device is patched after hours, you must leave your desktop powered on (you can log off, but do not shut your computer down). If your device is not powered on or not connected to the network during the first attempt to patch it, you will receive the patches during business hours. Laptop users should not leave their PCs connected without proper security. When the laptop is connected to the network, the patches will be applied accordingly.

The automated patches will require a reboot of your workstation. If you are logged on when the patches are deployed, you will be given a warning before the patching process begins. Once the process is complete, your workstation will be rebooted. Upon receipt of the patches, you may receive updated meeting invites for meetings that have already been scheduled/accepted/declined for March 11-April 1. You must re-accept these meeting invites for them to remain on your calendar or decline them if you plan not to attend.

If you experience any problems with the upgrade, please escalate your problem to the appropriate support staff.

Please note that your home PCs require the patches to be applied as well. If your home system is running a Microsoft-supported Operating System (i.e., XP or greater), you can obtain the appropriate patches from Microsoft’s Web site. If your home system is running Windows NT, 2000 or ME, there is not a patch available and you must manually change the clock on your PC

So to answer your question, yes. It seems like it is going to be a big clusterfuck.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 07:48 AM   #5
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Oh no! I have to manually change my PC's clock! What am I going to DOOOOOOOO!!

This should have been done years ago, IMO.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 07:54 AM   #6
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post

Isn't this the first sign of the apocalypse?

What next, the mouse buttons will change? The insanity!
Then what, the red X to close out a window will now prompt you automatically if you are sure you want to close by pressing "OK"?!?!?! Instant CHAOS!
In memory of Gavin Anthony: 7/22/08-7/26/08
gottimd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 08:00 AM   #7
Raiders Army
Coordinator

If it were up to me, I'd get rid of DST completely. It's always a struggle to adjust to an hour change twice a year. It's almost as bad as flying through time zones.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 08:24 AM   #8
Huckleberry
College Starter

Daylight Saving Time

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 08:27 AM   #9
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:

In fairness, in many office environments you can't change your PC's clock manually. Let alone the clocks in home-grown software, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 08:29 AM   #10
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry View Post
Daylight Saving Time

I'm hoping this was supposed to go in the 'What are you giving up for Lent?' thread...otherwise, I am really confused on this response.
Old 02-21-2007, 08:29 AM   #11
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

More daylight for grilling.
Good change, IMO.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 08:30 AM   #12
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
In fairness, in many office environments you can't change your PC's clock manually. Let alone the clocks in home-grown software, etc.
True, but in all fairness, society functioned very well without computer clocks for many years without any disruptions. What happened to the old watch? Bring back the Sundial!
Old 02-21-2007, 08:31 AM   #13
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
I'm hoping this was supposed to go in the 'What are you giving up for Lent?' thread...otherwise, I am really confused on this response.

Was it meant to say that its Daylight Saving Time instead of Daylight Savings Time? No idea either.
Old 02-21-2007, 08:35 AM   #14
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post

And maybe I'm giving IT people way too much credit, but something tells me they won't need to get an advanced degree to cope with this situation.

As far as calendars go, the calendar will still reflect the right time for a meeting/appointment - if it is on the calendar for 8am, it's still going to be 8am when it occurs. So the only thing I guess this really would affect is reminders. If you look at the calendar, you will see the correct info, but if you're not paying attention and expect to be reminded, if the clock is off an hour, you won't get your reminder. Isn't that about it?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 08:39 AM   #15
Huckleberry
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottimd View Post
Was it meant to say that its Daylight Saving Time instead of Daylight Savings Time? No idea either.

Yes

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 09:06 AM   #16
SnDvls
Pro Starter

One reason I'm glad I'm in AZ

don't have to screw with the clock
SnDvls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 09:25 AM   #17
MikeVic
Head Coach

I know here at least, the Outlook recurring meetings get messed up between March 11th and whenever the DST originally occurred. Same with the difference in that fall DST change.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 10:07 AM   #18
gi
College Prospect

Quote:
And maybe I'm giving IT people way too much credit, but something tells me they won't need to get an advanced degree to cope with this situation.

As far as calendars go, the calendar will still reflect the right time for a meeting/appointment - if it is on the calendar for 8am, it's still going to be 8am when it occurs. So the only thing I guess this really would affect is reminders. If you look at the calendar, you will see the correct info, but if you're not paying attention and expect to be reminded, if the clock is off an hour, you won't get your reminder. Isn't that about it?

Unfortunately there is a lot more to it than that from the IT side. Microsoft convientely waited until Exchange 2000 wasn't support anymore to release the patch. Now you have to pay 5000 just to get it. When you have users that are not tech savvy, this DST issue will cause headaches. I'm hopeful to get the patch for exchange through my 'other' contacts.
gi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 10:13 AM   #19
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Waaaaaaaaaaaaa my outlook reminder time is off.
Old 02-21-2007, 10:16 AM   #20
st.cronin
General Manager

I'm worried about the implications for Pumpy's love life.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 10:19 AM   #21
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Wyoming's part-time legislature wanted to pass a bill to end daylight savings time here. Meanwhile, they don't want to pass a lottery bill despite significant public support and open containers in vehicles are still legal for passengers. And let's not talk about the concealed carry law.
Old 02-21-2007, 11:00 AM   #22
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

well in our infinite wisdon my company switched from outlook to lotus notes...

What a horrid horrid manuever.

And no one (even our IT Director who I asked when passing in the hall a lil while ago) knows how its configured
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 11:03 AM   #23
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:

You seem to underestimate the importance of reminders for many of us...

But outside of that, you have things like scheduled maintenences that run automatically, backups, things like that - i'm not just talking about Outlook calendar here - there are often system events scheduled by the clock/calendar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 01:16 AM   #24
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Go to bed early, cause at 2am on Sunday morning, everyone gets fucked out of an hour of sleep.

Way too goddamn early for this shit.
stevew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 01:21 AM   #25
stevew
Hall Of Famer

dola
And where the hell is KCChief at anyways? I see recent quotes from him in KC area stuff, so I guess at least I can rest easy that nothing bad happened to him. Still, would be nice if he would pop up occasionally, anyways.
Old 03-08-2008, 06:25 AM   #26
cougarfreak
College Starter

Love the springtime time change in the middle of a fucking blizzard here in NKY!!
cougarfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 07:53 AM   #27
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
dola
And where the hell is KCChief at anyways? I see recent quotes from him in KC area stuff, so I guess at least I can rest easy that nothing bad happened to him. Still, would be nice if he would pop up occasionally, anyways.

good question. Hopefully Herm didn't get him.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 08:29 AM   #28
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Go to bed early, cause at 2am on Sunday morning, everyone gets fucked out of an hour of sleep.

Way too goddamn early for this shit.

Love this time of year!

Its outdoor soccer season baby! This means more practice time for our U12 girls team!!!

Last edited by MizzouRah : 03-08-2008 at 08:30 AM.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 08:30 AM   #29
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
dola

You bring up a good point, where have you been KCChief?
Old 03-09-2008, 12:06 AM   #30
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Looks like I have some 'splaining to do. :-)
Old 03-09-2008, 12:40 AM   #31
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
dola
Dola, I shouldn't mention this but for my "fans" out there, if the Kansas City Star Web site is to be believed there is apparently a photo of me in the Business section in Sunday's paper. Luckily The Star can't figure out how to post images, so the low-res thumbnail on The Star's Web site doesn't reveal the true Jabba-the-Hutt-esque nature of my physique.
Old 03-09-2008, 06:26 AM   #32
Horizon
n00b

Why doesn't McCain get any grief for being from a state that does not observe Daylight savings Time? I thought DST saved energy.
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 07:52 AM   #33
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:

You do? You have issues with your computer then, my changed all on it's own.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 09:06 AM   #34
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post

How have you been?
Old 03-09-2008, 01:01 PM   #35
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
I'm worried about the implications for Pumpy's love life.

It's an hour of lovin' he won't soon get back... until the Fall.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 01:02 PM   #36
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post

Either way, I thought this was a great response to it

SI

Old 03-09-2008, 01:02 PM   #37
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post

So get with the 'splaining. You're already an hour late because of DST.

SI

Old 03-09-2008, 04:09 PM   #38
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Either way, I thought this was a great response to it

SI

For the life of me, I can't remember why I typed that!
Old 03-09-2008, 04:13 PM   #39
molson
General Manager

My computer changed but my cell phone didn't
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 01:16 PM   #40
SnDvls
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
Why doesn't McCain get any grief for being from a state that does not observe Daylight savings Time? I thought DST saved energy.

we have enough daylight we don't need to save any...plus why change a clock just to change it back?
SnDvls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 08:00 PM   #41
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Bumpage.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:26 PM   #42
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Bumpage....this Saturday night most of are going to lose an hour of sleep.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:28 PM   #43
Rizon
Pro Starter

Quote:

And some of us are going to lose an hour of drinking
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 03:29 PM   #44
Kodos
Resident Alien

A select few will miss an hour of Pumpy time.
Old 03-05-2012, 05:06 PM   #45
Rizon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 05:11 PM   #46
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizon View Post
And some of us are going to lose an hour of drinking
Quote:
...and those of us who just go to bed when we're sleepy and get up when we're done sleeping won't notice at all.
Old 03-05-2012, 05:12 PM   #47
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
...and those of us who just go to bed when we're sleepy and get up when we're done sleeping won't notice at all.

+1
Old 03-05-2012, 05:23 PM   #48
Dutch
"Dutch"

All of the clocks in my house will be right again!
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:52 AM   #49
JeeberD
General Manager

Oh my god! Does that mean my son will actually start getting up at 6:45 instead of 5:45? Hallelujah!

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:07 AM   #50
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post
Oh my god! Does that mean my son will actually start getting up at 6:45 instead of 5:45? Hallelujah!

+1

Parenthood has completely changed my assessment of whether Spring Forward or Fall Back is the better option.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote