Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-16-2017, 11:59 AM   #1
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

A year without fantasy football

My office FF league had several people leave this offseason for independent reasons. Rather than go down to 8 teams and/or try and strongarm unwilling people into it, we decided to put in on a one-year hiatus.

That was by far my most fun and engaging league. I was in a couple of other online leagues, but those were mostly of the "eh, looks like fun, why not" type.

So, for the first time in longer than I can remember, I am going to try and enjoy the NFL season without FF. I am interested to see if my enjoyment goes up or down.

On the one hand, I won't have any personal sort of interest in a late afternoon Lions-Rams game in week 6. On the other hand, I sort of suspect that I wasn't really "enjoying" watching the 4th quarter of a Lions-Rams game with no rooting interest other than Matt Stafford getting at least 6 more fantasy points in the 4th quarter.

I'm already realizing how much more time I will have when I notice podcasts/articles about fantasy that I would have otherwise consumed that I will now ignore.

albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 12:15 PM   #2
Kodos
Resident Alien

I gave up fantasy football years ago. Can't say I miss it. I got tired of people who quit as soon as their team faltered.
Old 08-16-2017, 01:46 PM   #3
spleen1015
Coordinator

This was me last year. In a matter of 3 years, I went from 10 down to 6 down to 3 down to 0.

I was asked to join one at work. I don't have any responsibility other than playing so it should be fun. I don't suck so I'll be playing the whole season.

Good luck with out FF!
Old 08-16-2017, 03:07 PM   #4
Bobble
College Prospect

Interesting. My 26-year league of 16 teams looks very much like it's not going to happen this year. I'm wondering if I'm going to even join some crappy ESPN league or anything. I keep waiting to get excited about fantasy football this year and it's not happened so far.
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 03:34 PM   #5
tarcone
Coordinator

I quit playing years ago. And thus quit watching pro football. I didnt miss it at all.
This year, a guy at work asked me to join his family league. 10 teams. I told him i would do it.

Im kind of regretting saying yes. I really dont want to follow pro football. But I will suck it up.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 03:33 AM   #6
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

I stopped playing a few years ago and am happier for it. Still enjoy watching / following football, but I'm more interested in the game for reasons other than how many fantasy points a player will score.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 06:04 AM   #7
bryce
High School Varsity

I just retired from FF last month so this will be my first year without it since 1996. I stopped liking it years ago, though. I'm 40 so I had been playing FF for literally half of my life, often multiple leagues each year like many others. Eventually I dropped all but one league the last few years.

I only stayed in the one remaining league because I was a founding member of the dynasty league but secretly I kept hoping the league would fold each year to give me an excuse to quit. But then another founder left, and that was all the push I needed to follow suit. I think the last remaining founder left as well actually, so we were all in the same boat. Looking forward to being without it frankly.
bryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 07:10 AM   #8
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Haven't played in 4 years now i think. It's really good to not have life effected by random Sunday night and monday night tilts.

Also Sunday afternoon is a great time to go do stuff since mostly the stores are pretty slow.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 07:38 AM   #9
bob
College Starter

Even when I played FF, I didn't watch tons of NFL games each week. But overall I was much more in tune with what was going on with the rest of the NFL outside of the Lions (favorite team) and the Falcons (team where I live).

I have no idea who any of the top 3 running backs are for FF this year.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 07:39 AM   #10
corbes
College Benchwarmer

Count me among those who are happier not scouring the internet for news about injuries and second-string running backs.
corbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 08:19 AM   #11
bryce
High School Varsity

Now might as well be as good a time as any to mention that I've run a straight-up NFL pick 'em for a couple years now as an alternative to FF.

Rules are simple and require about 5 minutes per week: pick 3 winners each week (straight up), only caveat is you can only use a team 3 times all year. Weekly prize, but no ties allowed so pots carry over to next week if nobody wins outright (which usually happens, resulting in some decent pots throughout the season). Also season-long prize. We have 6 participants right now (same as last year) but open to adding a handful more.

PM me with any interest and / or questions.
Old 08-17-2017, 08:27 AM   #12
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
I gave up fantasy football years ago. Can't say I miss it. I got tired of people who quit as soon as their team faltered.

Plus 1.

I still enjoy watching every Eagles' game and then other games that interest me.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 08:33 AM   #13
molson
General Manager

I really like drafting, and also find it a fun way to get a sense of what's going on in the upcoming football season. So I'm in a league where you draft a huge roster and then, that's it, no transactions during the season. Best ball weekly format, the computer automatically gives you your best-scoring possible roster each week. It's fun to follow, but not time consuming. (Though I still find myself looking at the prospects of my 4th spring RBs I hope moves up, but, you don't have to actually make decisions at that point). And there's a ton of strategy involved - do you draft ALL of a teams backup WRs in the late rounds, hoping one of them breaks out, or do you try to pick WRs from different teams trying to find a few guys who become starters. If you pick a QB early, how much insurance to give yourself in case he gets injured. Etc.

And I've never been someone who watches games rooting for certain players, even when I am in a fantasy league. I've just never been interested in that, I'll sit down and look at everything on Sunday night, or whenever I finish watching whatever games I'm interested in on DVR.

Last edited by molson : 08-17-2017 at 08:35 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 11:15 AM   #14
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

I'm still playing, but there's no doubt that it's nowhere near the fun that it once was. There's such a flood of information these days that everyone is basically working off of the same numbers and strategies, so the results (of standard-style leagues) end up essentially being all but random.

There's still some fun in that, but I can't get too worked up over flipping a bunch of coins every weekend.
Old 08-17-2017, 12:08 PM   #15
Suicane75
Coordinator

I'm just the opposite. I don't think I could watch much college or pro ball at all if I didn't have money/interest involved.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 12:47 PM   #16
bryce
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
I'm still playing, but there's no doubt that it's nowhere near the fun that it once was. There's such a flood of information these days that everyone is basically working off of the same numbers and strategies, so the results (of standard-style leagues) end up essentially being all but random.

There's still some fun in that, but I can't get too worked up over flipping a bunch of coins every weekend.

That's been my observation as well. It was more fun when it was more "nerdy" and "underground". But now that every soccer mom, co-worker, and Joe Public is playing, it's a lot less fun.
Old 08-17-2017, 01:29 PM   #17
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:

One of the things I liked about my 16-team league was that it was non-standard and it brought back some value to deeper knowledge. It was great seeing guys who were all cocky fantasy veterans lose their shit when everyone on their list is gone by round 9.
Old 08-18-2017, 09:44 AM   #18
stevew
Hall Of Famer

If someone were to put together some sort if weekly league using draft kings type settings where we could just pick week to week rosters I'd prob have interest in that. But to go seasonal is just too much unneeded stress.

Maybe it's just me, but the Thursday games just added too much extra stuff to worry about.

Last edited by stevew : 08-18-2017 at 09:45 AM.
Old 08-19-2017, 07:52 AM   #19
bryce
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Maybe it's just me, but the Thursday games just added too much extra stuff to worry about.

The Thursday game needs to go for a variety of reasons (health and quality of play, for example). But money trumps.
Old 08-19-2017, 08:54 AM   #20
GoldenCrest Games
High School Varsity

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
It's really good to not have life effected by random Sunday night and monday night tilts.

For me, this is the best thing about quitting FF. (I've been out for 3 years) I never was the best at it, so there were a lot of frustrating Sundays/Mondays. I even blew a lot of Thursday games, so my whole weekend would be shot.

That being said, I've always missed the juice of draft day.
Old 11-17-2017, 09:05 AM   #21
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

mid season update:

I don't miss it at all.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 09:22 AM   #22
molson
General Manager

I'm still enjoying my league. And I haven't watched one minute of a non-Patriots football game this year, pro or college. So for me, fantasy football isn't some big time commitment, it's really the only way I know about what's generally going on in the league.
Old 11-17-2017, 09:53 AM   #23
Logan
Head Coach

I used to be very much into fantasy until maybe 3 or 4 years ago. I was never really the type that went crazy if my guy got hurt, or my bench guy blew up, or I lost a nailbiter on some BS. But I was in probably 4 or 5 leagues with different groups of friends/co-workers, and spent a lot of time researching/strategizing.

After a while I just kind of lost interest. I think part is what people said above...it was more fun for me when the information wasn't so readily available and I got a kick out of trying to ID talents early on. I remember drafting Adrian Foster in something like the 10th round of a work league that drafted fairly early in the preseason, based on some camp buzz I read and clips I saw. Believe people at the time were still in on Steve Slaton and maybe someone else. But by the time most drafts completed, he was going in the top 5 rounds or something. Then he exploded.

I'm sure some of those details are off 7 years later, and of course the same kind of stuff can still be spotted now but it's definitely a different game now. Too much of it is in the media and also just hearing people talk about their teams in normal conversation is probably another thing that put me over the edge. I remember being in a bar and seeing a guy going way more crazy over watching his players than the team of the jersey he was wearing.

I still play in one league, but I'm sort of mentally checked out. If I win, cool. If I lose, I don't give it a second thought.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 10:05 AM   #24
PilotMan
Head Coach

I was what you might call a Fantasy Football pioneer. I started my own league back in the late 80's, way before it blew up. I played here and there, and gradually it took up more and more time. With my personality it gradually took up a disturbing amount of time and I became so involved in it that I could almost do nothing else. I quit cold turkey, probably 15 years ago, found FOF and don't regret it one bit.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 10:23 AM   #25
cuervo72
Head Coach

I never played a ton of FF, but I gave it up following the year where my QB were Kurt Warner and Michael Vick and they both got injured (so, 2003?). I think I had Clinton Portis and TO and still couldn't win any games. Just figured it wasn't my thing.

Gave up Sunday Ticket too, was hopping between so many games that I felt like I hadn't watched any at the end of the day. Not missing it - I think I've seen all but one or two Eagles games this year as it is.
Old 11-17-2017, 11:03 AM   #26
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Gun to my head, I couldn't tell you who the Packers backup running back is. So yay, 4 years without fantasy and I'm loving every minute of it.
Old 11-17-2017, 01:54 PM   #27
Suicane75
Coordinator

What insane situation could you have gotten yourself into where someone would be holding a gun to your head and asking you who the Packers backup running back is.
Old 11-17-2017, 01:57 PM   #28
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
What insane situation could you have gotten yourself into where someone would be holding a gun to your head and asking you who the Packers backup running back is.

It's the plot to Taken 6
Old 11-17-2017, 03:32 PM   #29
Suicane75
Coordinator

I'd watch!
Old 11-17-2017, 03:36 PM   #30
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post

There's a real divey bar down the street from me where I could maybe see this happening somehow.
Old 11-17-2017, 05:29 PM   #31
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
There's a real divey bar down the street from me where I could maybe see this happening somehow.

Gimme 5 minutes to print out the Packers roster and LET'S GO!
Old 11-17-2017, 05:57 PM   #32
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

I like the new Draft app where you draft a new team each week. I've enjoyed floating a dollar or two in the low stakes FanDuel/DraftKings contests. I can't imagine doing anything more than that.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 12:20 PM   #33
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
I've got a combined 30+ years sunk into my two leagues, and I honestly think I had my best draft ever this year in the main one. Just hit on almost every pick, and built a team that was just ridiculously dominant.

Cool right? Here are some of the guys I built around: Ezekiel Elliott, Dalvin Cook, Allen Robinson, DeShaun Watson with late-round flyer, and DeAndre Hopkins just in case Watson turned out to be good. Oh, and my keeper was Beckham Jr.

Yeah.

Ten or even five years ago, that would have ruined my whole fall. Seriously, I would have been furious and probably punching holes in walls. This year... eh. Like I said up above, we're flipping coins. Sometimes they come up tails. Nothing you can do.

The downside is that if I ever win a league again it won't be as fun, but I think that's a tradeoff worth making.

Last edited by Maple Leafs : 11-18-2017 at 12:20 PM.
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 10:01 AM   #34
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

This was my first year without FF since I was a teenager and I can't say I am missing it either.