Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-22-2008, 12:26 PM   #1
stevew
Hall Of Famer

2008 NFL Draft Thread-Jake Long Goes #1

Figured I'd clean things up a bit and start a separate thread for the draft.

Quote:
LONG GETS $30 MILLION GUARANTEED
Posted by Mike Florio on April 22, 2008, 1:16 p.m.
Adam Schefter of NFL Network reports that tackle Jake Long will receive $30 million guaranteed as part of his five-year, $57 million deal with the Miami Dolphins.

Long will get $2 million less in guaranteed money and $4 million less in total money than Raiders quarterback JaMarcus Russell received a year ago, but Long is tied up for one less season.

And since different people interpret the term “guaranteed” differently, the only way to compare Long’s deal to Russell’s is to line ‘em up and parse the language.

For Parcells, it’s a win because he paid less money. For Long (and his agent), it’s a win because the deal covers one less season.

We’d still love to know whether Vernon Gholston had a meaningful chance to take less money than that

Terms of the contract look rediculous....11m a year for a Tackle? I know they didn't want to overpay the #1 guy, but that seems like stupid money. Thomas got 5/43 with 23m guaranteed, no way is Long that much better.

Last edited by stevew : 04-22-2008 at 12:31 PM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 12:28 PM   #2
Schmidty
Coordinator

As much as I hate Michigan, I think Long is the best OL to come out in a long time. I think he'll be even better than Joe Thomas, and will likely make the Pro Bowl his rookie season. The guy is freaking beast.
Old 04-22-2008, 12:34 PM   #3
Kodos
Resident Alien

Takes a little suspense out of this Saturday. I think it was a good choice. Not sold on Ryan, and now Beck can show if he's got skills next season. If he doesn't, we'll likely be back at the top of the draft next season.
Old 04-22-2008, 12:35 PM   #4
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I think you'll be back at the top regardless.
Old 04-22-2008, 12:38 PM   #5
Kodos
Resident Alien

Probably. What a sad state this team is in right now.
Old 04-22-2008, 12:38 PM   #6
rkmsuf
Head Coach

hope the dolphins get the card up there in time
Old 04-22-2008, 12:41 PM   #7
Bad-example
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I think you'll be back at the top regardless.

I think you underestimate the Raiders' ability to look good in preseason.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 12:43 PM   #8
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Hopefully the OL give QB Beck time to do his thing.
Old 04-22-2008, 12:45 PM   #9
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Sun 11 16 Raider at Dolphin

what better game that weekend
Old 04-22-2008, 12:55 PM   #10
Kodos
Resident Alien

go dolphin
Old 04-22-2008, 12:57 PM   #11
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Come on rookie salary cap, any year now.....
Old 04-22-2008, 12:59 PM   #12
DeToxRox
Head Coach

called this a while ago. I am happy for Jake. An instance where coming back his senior year paid off.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 01:52 PM   #13
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I bet that it still takes the LOLphins almost 10 mins on the clock to announce this foregone conclusion. The Rams now have a golden opportunity to get something done before draft day. They would be wise to take advantage of the situation.
Old 04-22-2008, 01:53 PM   #14
Fighter of Foo
College Prospect

Quote:
Terms of the contract look rediculous....11m a year for a Tackle? I know they didn't want to overpay the #1 guy, but that seems like stupid money. Thomas got 5/43 with 23m guaranteed, no way is Long that much better.

NFL terms always look ridiculous. The amount guaranteed (read: signing/roster bonuses) and the salary for the first two years are the only numbers that matter. That's true for any NFL contract. I don't know why the imaginary numbers get reported.
Fighter of Foo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 01:56 PM   #15
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Barring any kind of injury, or if he decides to go Mandarich, he'll see every dollar of this rookie deal. And it will set the baseline for his next contract. I don't think that the numbers are that imaginary anymore.
Old 04-22-2008, 01:59 PM   #16
Fighter of Foo
College Prospect

Quote:
Barring any kind of injury, or if he decides to go Mandarich, he'll see every dollar of this rookie deal. And it will set the baseline for his next contract. I don't think that the numbers are that imaginary anymore.

No, he won't. After the 3rd season or so it will be restructured into an extension or he'll get cut.
Old 04-22-2008, 02:36 PM   #17
Warhammer
Pro Starter

The problem is if you are the Rams who do you go after? I was hoping that the Fins were going to take anyone but Long. Hopefully, you can make some moves towards Ryan, scare one of the teams drafting behind you, drop a few spots, pick up Ellis and a couple of extra picks.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 02:48 PM   #18
MacroGuru
Coordinator

I am excited by this pick, because Beck has been impressing Sparano (sp?) with his work ethic and attitude, and it brings someone to the OL that should start immediately improve the line.

I just hope that more is coming from them, so as a BYU homer, I can see Beck prosper...
Old 04-22-2008, 02:51 PM   #19
jeheinz72
Pro Rookie

I like the pick and frankly, I think they were stuck overpaying no matter who they took, just because of the slot they were in.
jeheinz72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 02:59 PM   #20
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeheinz72 View Post
I like the pick and frankly, I think they were stuck overpaying no matter who they took, just because of the slot they were in.

They could have signed me for a lot less.
Old 04-22-2008, 03:01 PM   #21
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
Come on rookie salary cap, any year now.....

There is a rookie salary cap. There just is not a reasonable slotting system...
Old 04-22-2008, 03:08 PM   #22
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthousekeeper View Post
They could have signed me for a lot less.

Yeah, but they probably would have had to trade up a lot to get you. No way you were going to fall that far.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 03:16 PM   #23
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter of Foo View Post
No, he won't. After the 3rd season or so it will be restructured into an extension or he'll get cut.

How so? As long as he performs well enough to warrant not being cut, he is not obligated to restructure the deal unless he wants to. He'll hold all the leverage over the Dolphins similar to Larry Fitz this offseason.

Last edited by Logan : 04-22-2008 at 03:17 PM.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 03:24 PM   #24
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Just read this on ESPN.com (as a blurb they wrote for the article) and almost spit the water out of my mouth, it makes no sense:

Jake Long is the best player at the deepest position in this year's draft so it's no wonder the Dolphins made him the No. 1 overall pick.

Now I'm not quibbling with him being #1 overall, but being the best player at the deepest position in the draft should dictate that you are NOT the #1 overall pick. It's a reason NOT to be the #1 overall pick, not a reason TO BE the #1 overall pick.

F*CKING MORONS they got over there
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 03:37 PM   #25
Kodos
Resident Alien

Oh noes! There are only 6 more guys like this one! We'd better grab him instead of the one NFL-caliber QB on the board! (Just kidding about Ryan)
Old 04-22-2008, 03:40 PM   #26
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
How so? As long as he performs well enough to warrant not being cut, he is not obligated to restructure the deal unless he wants to. He'll hold all the leverage over the Dolphins similar to Larry Fitz this offseason.

Or if he does re-do the deal, presumedly the next deal will incorporate the 25m he'd make in the last 2 years of his current deal. So, he gets put into a 4 year 60million dollar deal or something to that effect.

Ask Robert Gallery how much of his rookie deal he hasn't earned yet.
Old 04-22-2008, 04:16 PM   #27
Fighter of Foo
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post

No, Fitzgerald hit incentive bonuses that made MUCH more of his contract guaranteed. THAT and the fact the Arizona was incompetent enough to write such a contract and put themselves in that sort of bind gave Fitzgerald enormous leverage. Big difference.

As a player, your only leverage is how well you perform and the amount of money you're guaranteed. Signing bonuses are spread equally over the length of the contract, so that's 6MM/per. We haven't seen the details here, but let's assume the breakdown is something for the remaining 27 million is something like 1/3/5/7/11.

If you think the Fish or any other team is going to pay one player 17 million dollars for one season with a salary cap in place, you're an idiot. He'll either be cut and end up earning less or (much more likely if he's legit) he'll sign an extension, still earn less than 17MM that season, but more long-term.

Just as an example of NFL contract fun, a team can sign someone to a 3-year $100 million dollar deal with 3 million guaranteed. The structure for the signing bonus is 1/1/1. The rest of the 97 million is 1/1/95. This might get reported as player X signs $100 million dollar deal! In reality, it's 5 million for two years with the last million coming as a cut bonus. Now for salary restructures, you aren't allowed to take money off the table which is why there aren't any examples this extreme.

Regading Gallery, his 2008 salary is listed at 2.61 for this season and his signing bonus, IIRC was around 16-18 for 5. Either he had a front loaded contract or one with some unattainable bonuses in it.
Old 04-22-2008, 05:00 PM   #28
Izulde
Head Coach

So we go with the safe pick. Not a bad decision at all, considering we need help everywhere and hopefully J. Long can be a studmuffin LT.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 05:04 PM   #29
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post

Yes I'm familiar with the common usage of it, kthx.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 05:18 PM   #30
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
There is a rookie salary cap. There just is not a reasonable slotting system...

I mean a real cap, one which basically says "Hey rookie, you haven't done crap to earn millions of dollars that should be going towards veterans who have proven themselves, so you get $500,000 a year at the most for 4 years."

That kind of rookie salary cap.
Old 04-22-2008, 05:26 PM   #31
Logan
Head Coach

As Ronnie Dobbs said, you really didn't need to write all that out on how NFL contracts work. We all know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter of Foo View Post
If you think the Fish or any other team is going to pay one player 17 million dollars for one season with a salary cap in place, you're an idiot. He'll either be cut and end up earning less or (much more likely if he's legit) he'll sign an extension, still earn less than 17MM that season, but more long-term.

Call me an idiot then. Do your homework and take notice at how the NFL salary cap is escalating. Yes, 5 years from now there will probably be plenty of players with a cap figure of $17 million. But that actually doesn't matter. If he's legit and the Dolphins choose to cut him since they refuse to pay him the $11 million base, all he'll do is sign a new deal with someone else that will give him much more guaranteed than the $11 million. Like probably another $30 million. Again, show me where the Dolphins will have the leverage to force him to renegotiate his deal as you have stated.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 05:48 PM   #32
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Good choice. I hope we are able to parlay our way to Brian Brohm in the second round. He was a top 5 choice last season but this season he is a second rounder... weird.
Old 04-22-2008, 06:06 PM   #33
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

So how does Jake Long compare to what people thought of Joe Thomas/D'Brickashaw Ferguson/other highly-rated tackles in recent years before the draft?

Last edited by Big Fo : 04-22-2008 at 06:07 PM.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 07:11 PM   #34
SFL Cat
College Starter

Don't know that I'd ever take an offensive lineman as the first pick. I've heard some people say Long would be better at RT because he tends to have some trouble with speed rushers (i.e., everyone in the NFL). Plus there have been a lot of top O linemen selected in the top-10 during the past five that haven't really panned out. Most have become solid starters, but not the awesome studs people were predicting.

If I had a say, I think I would've gone for Howie's kid. The Dolphins have done okay with a top notch defense and a mediocre offense for years. When the D finally collapsed during the past couple of years, especially in the secondary, that's when the Fins' record bottomed out.
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 07:46 PM   #35
miami_fan
Coordinator

I don't immediately hate this pick. Definite improvement from last year.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 07:55 PM   #36
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFL Cat View Post
Don't know that I'd ever take an offensive lineman as the first pick. I've heard some people say Long would be better at RT because he tends to have some trouble with speed rushers (i.e., everyone in the NFL). Plus there have been a lot of top O linemen selected in the top-10 during the past five that haven't really panned out. Most have become solid starters, but not the awesome studs people were predicting.

If I had a say, I think I would've gone for Howie's kid. The Dolphins have done okay with a top notch defense and a mediocre offense for years. When the D finally collapsed during the past couple of years, especially in the secondary, that's when the Fins' record bottomed out.

I tend to agree with this, but I think Long is an OK pick. There are no questions about his character, durability or work ethic, so he should be a fine player. He may not be Joe Thomas, but he's also not going to be Robert Gallery.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 08:00 PM   #37
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
I mean a real cap, one which basically says "Hey rookie, you haven't done crap to earn millions of dollars that should be going towards veterans who have proven themselves, so you get $500,000 a year at the most for 4 years."

That kind of rookie salary cap.

Isn't the average NFL career something like 3 seasons? Given that there aren't a lot of other pro sporting opportunity for professional footballers outside of the NFL (Canadian league, Arena?), I don't mind them getting crazy contracts so much.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:51 PM   #38
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The Vikings, according to Adam Schefter of NFL Network, surrendered their first-round pick in the 2008 draft and both third-round selections for Chiefs defensive end Jared Allen.

The Chiefs will now add the No. 17, No. 73, and No. 82 overall selections to the No. 5, No. 35, and No. 66 picks, giving them six selections among the first 100 picks.

The Chiefs just got a jumpstart to their rebuilding process by dealing Allen. Obviously he will be hard to replace, as he's one of the best at his position. But with 3 picks in the top 35, they can definitely address some areas of need.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:58 PM   #39
st.cronin
General Manager

I guess the Chiefs think Gholston will be available at #5.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 11:41 PM   #40
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I'm just stoked it gives Herm Edwards another chance to ruin some more careers.
Old 04-23-2008, 01:10 AM   #41
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Crap, I guess now we know who will injure Aaron Rodgers this season.

I wouldn't care much if it wasn't an NFC North team.
Old 04-23-2008, 01:21 AM   #42
stevew
Hall Of Famer

if you have some time, the "official" Emmit Smith mock draft is pretty damned funny.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2008emmitt.php
Old 04-23-2008, 01:51 AM   #43
Schmidty
Coordinator

It was funny, but I couldn't get through the whole thing because it be repetitive, so to speak.
Old 04-23-2008, 07:52 AM   #44
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
I guess the Chiefs think Gholston will be available at #5.

Chris Long is also mentioned in today's KC Star as a possibility.......

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/story/587889.html

Quote:
Having six picks in the first three rounds almost certainly will change the Chiefs’ draft strategy. With only one first-round pick, the Chiefs were almost locked into drafting an offensive lineman to fill one of their voids in the starting lineup.

They now have the flexibility to do many things. They could opt to draft Allen’s replacement, possibly Virginia’s Chris Long or Ohio State’s Vernon Gholston, with the fifth pick. Then they could then get an offensive lineman by bundling picks to move up from the 17th spot or they could select one using the 17th pick.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 07:54 AM   #45
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Crap, I guess now we know who will injure Aaron Rodgers this season.

I wouldn't care much if it wasn't an NFC North team.

Best suggestion..........open a large bar within driving distance of his home.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 12:37 AM   #46
21C
College Prospect

I was initially disappointed when the draft got moved to 3pm. The previous start time of noon EST was 2am for me. I could easily stay up for the first few picks of the 1st round and keep up to date with audio feeds and web sites.

The 3pm start meant it would be 5am here and I couldn't do that at all. I'm a night owl but even that was too late for me. I resigned myself to catching up with the picks the next day on the net.

Well I just found out that the Australian version of ESPN is carrying the draft live. In previous years, they had an edited version a couple of days later which was no good since I knew all of the picks by then and I wasn't going to avoid any draft news for that long. I still won't be watching it live but it will be as good as live when I record it and watch when I get up.

Happy days!
21C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 07:08 AM   #47
Oilers9911
College Benchwarmer

From a pure entertainment standpoint, should the NFL do something to stop the practice of announcing the signing of the 1st overall pick days before the draft? I know it won't affect the viewership or anything but it just isn't as much fun without the suspense of the first pick. Sure, let them sign him but just keep it under wraps.
Oilers9911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 07:17 AM   #48
SteveMax58
College Starter

I'm trying to figure out why I have just heard that Chris Long is Howie Long's son for the first time this morning.

I mean the rock I've been hiding under has quite a bit of open space for news like that...hmm. I feel uninformed and out of touch now.
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 12:41 AM   #49
sabotai
General Manager

Just about a done deal that Jeremy Shockey will be traded to the Saints. They've offered a 2nd round pick, but the Giants want more. The Giants asked for S Roman Harper as well as the 2nd pick, but the Saints rejected it. The Saints might offer the G-Men their 2nd and 5th round picks for Shockey.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 01:59 AM   #50
bhlloy
Coordinator

Shockey coming off surgery isn't even worth a second. Saints must be crazy to do the second and the fifth. They could have any TE they wanted in the draft with their second round pick, and that TE wouldn't have a shitty attitude and be getting close the the downside of his career...
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote