Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Mike View Post
Will Muschamp, we hardly knew ye

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
He can go back to being Texas' coach in waiting

Texas definitely dodged a bullet on that one.
Old 11-25-2013, 07:51 AM   #102
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
At the risk of falling into a trap here, since I am not questioning that the move to the SEC was a good one...

While a member of the Big 12, Missouri had 1 loss (to Oklahoma in early October) in 2007 and was ranked #1 going the final week of the season (before getting blown out by Oklahoma in the Big 12 title game). I would say that Missouri had a legitimate shot of playing in the BCS championship that season as a one loss team. Additionally, Nebraska (2001) and Oklahoma (2003, 2008) played for the BCS championships as one loss teams.

Similarly, WVU, while in the Big East, had an opportunity to play in the title game in 2007 with one loss (to USF). They were ranked #2 going into that same week and were upset by Pitt. So, theoretically, a Big East team was also capable of making the title game as a one loss team.

This year, there are obviously still three undefeated AQ teams. If all three lose, then it pretty much turns into the same situation as 2007, with a ton of one loss teams jockeying for the #1 and #2 spots.

So, while the move to the SEC was a slam dunk for Missouri and A&M, let's not act like being in the lowly Big 12 keeps one loss schools out of the title consideration.

I don't think MBBF was making this particular point but I will. I think the percieved SEC bias by many across the country is absolutely real. Mizzou and Auburn both started the season unranked and are the highest ranked one loss teams. Look no furthur than Ok State to see what one loss in the Big 12 gets you this year. So while I still would rather be playing OU, KU, KState because that's what I grew up with I do think the move to the SEC is the only reason a one loss Mizzou is being talked about as still in the national title hunt.

(Hope this doesn't come up later in the page I am replying to your post before reading below.)
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 01:37 PM   #103
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
At the risk of falling into a trap here, since I am not questioning that the move to the SEC was a good one...

While a member of the Big 12, Missouri had 1 loss (to Oklahoma in early October) in 2007 and was ranked #1 going the final week of the season (before getting blown out by Oklahoma in the Big 12 title game). I would say that Missouri had a legitimate shot of playing in the BCS championship that season as a one loss team. Additionally, Nebraska (2001) and Oklahoma (2003, 2008) played for the BCS championships as one loss teams.

Similarly, WVU, while in the Big East, had an opportunity to play in the title game in 2007 with one loss (to USF). They were ranked #2 going into that same week and were upset by Pitt. So, theoretically, a Big East team was also capable of making the title game as a one loss team.

This year, there are obviously still three undefeated AQ teams. If all three lose, then it pretty much turns into the same situation as 2007, with a ton of one loss teams jockeying for the #1 and #2 spots.

So, while the move to the SEC was a slam dunk for Missouri and A&M, let's not act like being in the lowly Big 12 keeps one loss schools out of the title consideration.
The 2007 Big 12 and the 2013 Big 12 are two different places. If you're a one-loss SEC team, you have an excellent chance of being in the front of the line. Case in point, the SEC has sent one-loss teams to the NCG, and right now Auburn and Missouri have chances to make the NCG. If Missouri or Auburn win the SEC title, you will get an avalanche of PR from SEC country that a one-loss SEC champion is better than an undefeated Ohio State.

Meanwhile, Oklahoma State is the No. 4 one-loss team. And if Missouri beat Alabama in the SEC title game and OSU or Florida State were to lose (or fall victim to scandal), you'd be more likely to get an SEC rematch NCG than a one-loss Oklahoma State Big 12 champs.

When we rose to the No. 1 ranking in 2007, there were four one-loss teams left: Mizzou, Ohio State and West Virgina. OSU lost in week 11 to an unranked Illinois team. WVU lost in week 5 to No. 18 South Florida. Missouri lost in week 6 to No. 6 Oklahoma, and had just knocked off undefeated Kansas. Missouri was a consensus but not unanimous No. 1 over WVU. We were essentially No. 1 because we had the best loss, it was an old loss and we had the best recent win.

Oklahoma State is hurt by a lot of factors, most notably that their loss to WVU this year was simply stunning. It defies logic, but it exists. They are also hurt that Oklahoma and Texas are not what they once were. But they are absolutely lower than Missouri, Auburn and Clemson because the Big 12 isn't as highly regarded.

If Missouri were 10-1 in the Big 12 in 2013, I think we'd be no better than No. 7 or 8, not No. 5.

Quote:
While a member of the Big 12, Missouri had 1 loss (to Oklahoma in early October) in 2007 and was ranked #1 going the final week of the season (before getting blown out by Oklahoma in the Big 12 title game).
It was 14-14 with five minutes left in the 3rd quarter!
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 01:55 PM   #104
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
I don't think MBBF was making this particular point but I will. I think the percieved SEC bias by many across the country is absolutely real. Mizzou and Auburn both started the season unranked and are the highest ranked one loss teams. Look no furthur than Ok State to see what one loss in the Big 12 gets you this year.

I suppose the computer polls also have an SEC bias programmed in as well?

The aggregate has Auburn, Mizzou and Ok State (in that order) as the top 3 one-loss teams, with Clemson 4th among them. Human voters meanwhile have Clemson ahead of all three, so I guess that's the SEC bia ... oh, wait.
Old 11-27-2013, 02:02 PM   #105
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post
Oklahoma State is hurt by a lot of factors, most notably that their loss to WVU this year was simply stunning. It defies logic, but it exists. They are also hurt that Oklahoma and Texas are not what they once were. But they are absolutely lower than Missouri, Auburn and Clemson because the Big 12 isn't as highly regarded.
Agree with most of your points, but the B12 is definitely more highly regarded than the ACC as a whole, and I think they would beat out a 1-loss Clemson team for a title game shot this year (particularly because it would require an FSU collapse making Clemson's blowout loss look worse than it does now.)
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 02:33 PM   #106
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I suppose the computer polls also have an SEC bias programmed in as well?

The aggregate has Auburn, Mizzou and Ok State (in that order) as the top 3 one-loss teams, with Clemson 4th among them. Human voters meanwhile have Clemson ahead of all three, so I guess that's the SEC bia ... oh, wait.

See I am kind of the anti-homer/pessimist. It this a fucking fantastic season as a Mizzou fan? Absolutely. How good are the wins really?

Worthless: Murray State, Ark State, Toledo (They did give NIU a run which speaks more to their undefeated season than how good Mizzou is)
Pretty Much Worthless: Kentucky, Indiana (sorry Kodos), Tennessee (Sorry Jon), Florida
Decent Wins: Vandy, Georgia (But the injuries to their stars don't help this much)
Solid but not great Win: At Ole Miss

Our only loss is also the only team we have played that is currently in the top 25. This puts us at #5? Don't get me wrong if the cards fall the right way I will be pulling for a Mizzou national title but this certainly isn't the gauntlet Tennessee has had to run this season. No idea what the computers see here either.
Old 11-27-2013, 02:58 PM   #107
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Worthless: Murray State, Ark State, Toledo (They did give NIU a run which speaks more to their undefeated season than how good Mizzou is)
Pretty Much Worthless: Kentucky, Indiana (sorry Kodos), Tennessee (Sorry Jon), Florida
Decent Wins: Vandy, Georgia (But the injuries to their stars don't help this much)
Solid but not great Win: At Ole Miss
NIU won by 18 at Toledo - more than Missouri beat them by at home (in a game that was 24-23 until the last play of the 3rd quarter and Toledo outgained Mizzou). I don't think this NIU team is very good, and I think they'll be blown out and embarrass the MAC if they sneak into the BCS and match up with a good team (including Oklahoma State in the Cotton Bowl), but the Toledo game is certainly not the black mark on their schedule.

Conference affiliation aside, I'd definitely put Toledo ahead of Kentucky, and right there in a toss-up with Tennessee and Indiana.
Old 11-27-2013, 03:10 PM   #108
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:

No need to apologize. Doug Mallory should be the one apologizing to Indiana fans.
Old 11-27-2013, 03:10 PM   #109
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
NIU won by 18 at Toledo - more than Missouri beat them by at home (in a game that was 24-23 until the last play of the 3rd quarter and Toledo outgained Mizzou). I don't think this NIU team is very good, and I think they'll be blown out and embarrass the MAC if they sneak into the BCS and match up with a good team (including Oklahoma State in the Cotton Bowl), but the Toledo game is certainly not the black mark on their schedule.

Conference affiliation aside, I'd definitely put Toledo ahead of Kentucky, and right there in a toss-up with Tennessee and Indiana.

Hmmm.... I must have confused Toledo with another team NIU played. I can move them up... my purpose was showing Mizzou's schedule was easy but I don't have a problem making it a little harder. And my "rankings" certainly weren't implying UK, TU, or IU were tough opponents either.
Old 11-27-2013, 03:18 PM   #110
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Hmmm.... I must have confused Toledo with another team NIU played. I can move them up... my purpose was showing Mizzou's schedule was easy but I don't have a problem making it a little harder. And my "rankings" certainly weren't implying UK, TU, or IU were tough opponents either.
Hey, someone's gotta defend the MAC around here! Or at least the 4.5 teams that are decent (NIU, Ball State, Toledo, Bowling Green, maybe Buffalo). The rest of the conference is actually worse than people think.
Old 11-29-2013, 03:16 PM   #111
tarcone
Coordinator

Iowa spanks Nebraska 38-17. If Wisky makes a BCS bowl, Iowa gets the Outback. Unbelievable. I didnt think we would win 3, And 8-4 we finish. And the 4 teams we lost too are sitting at 42-3.
Great season Hawks!

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 03:29 PM   #112
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Iowa spanks Nebraska 38-17. If Wisky makes a BCS bowl, Iowa gets the Outback. Unbelievable. I didnt think we would win 3, And 8-4 we finish. And the 4 teams we lost too are sitting at 42-3.
Great season Hawks!

I was definitely cheering for Iowa. Can you say bye bye Bo? I'd rather him stay though. Hah!

And WI made you look the worst..at your house. It leaves me with some hope that OSU will obliterate MSU next week.

Last edited by mauchow : 11-29-2013 at 09:29 PM.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 03:52 PM   #113
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Ugly apple cup so far with stellar PAC 12 officiating as usual
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 04:19 PM   #114
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauchow View Post
I was definitely cheering for Iowa. Can you say bye bye Bo? I'd rather him stay though. Hah!

And WI made you look the worst..at your house. It leaves me with some hope that OSU will obliterate them next week.

Wisky was our worst loss. We were within 10 of everyone else.

Im hoping Wisky gets a BCS bid, that s how we get the Outback. Otherwise, its the Gator.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 04:36 PM   #115
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Ark/LSU has been shockingly good. Will have to see if LSU can come back.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 04:42 PM   #116
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

About time. Amazing what happens when you get the ball in Sankeys hands.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 04:17 PM   #117
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Full disclosure: the writer behind this piece is an old schoolmate of mine. Despite that handicap, I think he did a nice job giving a couple minutes to an announcer who has had one hell of a month

Auburn announcer still stunned over legendary calls

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 12-04-2013 at 04:17 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote