Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-02-2013, 10:03 AM   #1
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Official College Football Week 15 thread

This, save for the Army-Navy game next weekend, is the end of the regular season for college football. Here's the matchups for the conference championship games:

MAC
Bowling Green vs. Northern Illinois

ACC
Duke vs. Florida State

Big Ten
Ohio State vs. Michigan State

SEC
Missouri vs. Auburn

PAC-12
Stanford vs. Arizona State

Mountain West
Utah State vs. Fresno State

Conference USA
Marshall vs. Rice

There are two games between Top 25 teams that aren't conference championship games, but will decide the winner of the Big 12.

Texas at Baylor
Oklahoma at Oklahoma State
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 12-02-2013 at 10:11 AM.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 10:08 AM   #2
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Big Ten
Ohio State vs. Michigan

No thanks, we already played that one.
Old 12-02-2013, 10:10 AM   #3
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
No thanks, we already played that one.

Michigan has appealed to the conference for a redo and the appeal was granted.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 10:11 AM   #4
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Oops, my bad. Fixed it.
Old 12-02-2013, 12:28 PM   #5
General Mike
Pro Starter

Rutgers is gonna lose to USF
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 12:34 PM   #6
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Just noticed that CBS is the official network of Mizzou Athletics on Saturday. UCLA vs. Mizzou (basketball) in the early afternoon followed by Auburn vs. Mizzou in the SEC Championship Game.
Old 12-02-2013, 12:35 PM   #7
larrymcg421
Head Coach

So... Duke wins, Michigan State wins, Auburn wins. Do we get an Alabama-Auburn rematch?

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 02:25 PM   #8
SackAttack
Head Coach

Duke winning needs to happen. Duke in a BCS Bowl?

C'mon. That would be the greatest thing ever.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 02:30 PM   #9
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
So... Duke wins, Michigan State wins, Auburn wins. Do we get an Alabama-Auburn rematch?

I think it's at least possible.

Then again, so is Bama-Mizzou IMO if the Tigers win.
Old 12-02-2013, 02:32 PM   #10
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Seems like a definite if all of those things were to happen, but I can't fathom Duke winning. It seems at this point to be a near-given that it's FSU vs. Ohio State or (if MSU wins) the SEC Champ. I don't see Auburn jumping OSU even if they blow out Mizzou and OSU has a lackluster win.
Old 12-02-2013, 02:35 PM   #11
Ben E Lou

Oh, and at this point, I have a hard time envisioning anyone other than FSU winning it all, Winston or no Winston. I think Bama or Oregon (on a good day) could have given them a run for their money, but I'm just not seeing Ohio State, Duke, Auburn, or Mizzou getting it done against FSU.
Old 12-02-2013, 02:38 PM   #12
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
Seems like a definite if all of those things were to happen, but I can't fathom Duke winning. It seems at this point to be a near-given that it's FSU vs. Ohio State or (if MSU wins) the SEC Champ. I don't see Auburn jumping OSU even if they blow out Mizzou and OSU has a lackluster win.

I realize that I take things Mizzou far too personal but the current meme I keep seeing all over ESPN and other places is the "if Auburn blows out Mizzou...". What exactly has happened this year that would make this seem likely? Mizzou has lost one game in 2OT and basically won by 10-15+ in every game except A&M. Auburn on the other hand has been winning as well but not blowouts. Why is this blowout all of sudden part of the discussion?
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 02:46 PM   #13
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
I realize that I take things Mizzou far too personal but the current meme I keep seeing all over ESPN and other places is the "if Auburn blows out Mizzou...". What exactly has happened this year that would make this seem likely? Mizzou has lost one game in 2OT and basically won by 10-15+ in every game except A&M. Auburn on the other hand has been winning as well but not blowouts. Why is this blowout all of sudden part of the discussion?

I don't think people are necessarily saying that's likely. They are simply trying to construct a scenario where Auburn could jump an undefeated OSU. If they both win by similar amounts or if Auburn loses, then there's nothing to discuss because OSU is in.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 12-02-2013 at 02:46 PM.
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 02:47 PM   #14
Ben E Lou

Quote:
People like playing "what if" scenarios. Based on the numbers, Auburn *does* have a small chance to move over Ohio State if they blow out Mizzou, so people like to talk about it. And yes, it sounds like you're taking that way too personally.
Old 12-02-2013, 05:11 PM   #15
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

I'll be at Sola13 for Friday and Saturday so I'm unable to watch games I don't care about.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:19 AM   #16
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

National Coach of the Year finalists are David Cutcliffe, Gus Malzahn, and Gary Pinkel. SEC title game will likely decide who wins this award.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:50 AM   #17
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post

A lot of the talking heads seem to diagree and feel a 1 loss Auburn could jump tOSU. I personaly think it would be absurd, but there are a lot of people who feel the SEC has some right to a team in the NC game. If that is the case make it an auto bid and be done with it.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 10:51 AM   #18
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
National Coach of the Year finalists are David Cutcliffe, Gus Malzahn, and Gary Pinkel. SEC title game will likely decide who wins this award.

So you think Cutcliff has no shot at it?
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 11:04 AM   #19
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
So you think Cutcliff has no shot at it?

That's probably the damnable shame of it.

What he's done there is probably the more remarkable than even a national title came appearance for the other two IMO.
Old 12-03-2013, 11:08 AM   #20
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
A lot of the talking heads seem to diagree and feel a 1 loss Auburn could jump tOSU. I personaly think it would be absurd, but there are a lot of people who feel the SEC has some right to a team in the NC game. If that is the case make it an auto bid and be done with it.

Personally I think it is more just to give them something to talk about and generate ratings. What is a better way to get people to call in than a hot button issue like a one loss SEC team? The SEC is something that you either love or you hate. It's just like Stanford a month ago, Baylor a few weeks ago... something to talk about. It will likely be decided this weekend anyways.
Old 12-03-2013, 11:11 AM   #21
Ben E Lou

Quote:
A lot of the talking heads seem to diagree and feel a 1 loss Auburn could jump tOSU.
Talking heads are in the business of creating controversy to drive up ratings and clicks much more than they're in the business of making accurate predictions.
Old 12-04-2013, 05:11 PM   #22
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Looks like we're going to find out what happens/doesn't happens regarding the Jameis Winston situation and how it affects the NC picture. Investigation is complete and news conference is scheduled for tomorrow at 2:00 PM EST to reveal results.
Old 12-04-2013, 05:14 PM   #23
cartman
Death Herald

They are going to announce at 2pm tomorrow the scores of the games on Saturday?
Old 12-04-2013, 05:18 PM   #24
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
They are going to announce at 2pm tomorrow the scores of the games on Saturday?

Yes.
Old 12-04-2013, 05:20 PM   #25
cartman
Death Herald

That's the only way it is going to affect the national championship picture.
Old 12-04-2013, 05:30 PM   #26
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
That's the only way it is going to affect the national championship picture.

I wont' lie: I'd definitely put tOSU ahead of FSU w/out Winston, would give serious consideration to putting several other teams ahead of them as well ... which is the same philosophy that the selection committee for the playoffs will be using next season btw, at least according to it's inaugural chair

Quote:
injuries would be another factor that the committee could take into consideration, saying “it would be unfair if we didn’t take [them] into account.”.

College Football Playoff reveals full selection committee | CollegeFootballTalk
Old 12-04-2013, 05:34 PM   #27
cartman
Death Herald

But that's next year. This year still has the computers as 1/3rd of the equation, and as long as they beat Duke, Winston or no, there won't be enough pollsters that drop them to keep them out of the #1 or #2 spot.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:03 PM   #28
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
But that's next year. This year still has the computers as 1/3rd of the equation, and as long as they beat Duke, Winston or no, there won't be enough pollsters that drop them to keep them out of the #1 or #2 spot.

Now THAT part I suspect you're right about.

It would take a significant move on the humans & there may not be enough with the nerves it would require.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:24 PM   #29
cartman
Death Herald

I might be completely wrong, but if they were going to indict Winston, wouldn't he already be/have been in custody? I can't seem to remember an instance of a prosecutor calling a press conference, then issuing an arrest warrant. Usually the press conference was after the person had been arrested. With all of the attention from the sports media, it seems that if he had already been picked up (or there was some sort of deal for him to turn himself in tomorrow), it would be all over the news and/or social media by now.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:28 PM   #30
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I might be completely wrong, but if they were going to indict Winston, wouldn't he already be/have been in custody? I can't seem to remember an instance of a prosecutor calling a press conference, then issuing an arrest warrant. Usually the press conference was after the person had been arrested. With all of the attention from the sports media, it seems that if he had already been picked up (or there was some sort of deal for him to turn himself in tomorrow), it would be all over the news and/or social media by now.

My thought as well, this almost has to be to announce he's either exonerated or at least that there will be no prosecution for lack of evidence.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:30 PM   #31
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Wasn't a press conference called for Aaron Hernandez pre arrest? Gives all the lawyers their moment in the sun.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:33 PM   #32
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Wasn't a press conference called for Aaron Hernandez pre arrest? Gives all the lawyers their moment in the sun.

I think there were several different press conferences by the authorities in his case. Not sure of the exact timing, but one was to say he was a person of interest, then there was another one when he was in custody. And they were all within a short time frame after the murder occurred.

Here's what I found:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/timeline...investigation/
Quote:
June 26, 2013 - Hernandez is taken away from his home in handcuffs and driven away in a police cruiser. Authorities later announce that he is under arrest and being booked at the North Attleborough Police Station.

Last edited by cartman : 12-04-2013 at 06:35 PM.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:51 AM   #33
Kodos
Resident Alien

Written by a Gator

‘Twas the night after Auburn
and all through the land,
not a “Roll Tide” was uttered
by a Crimson Tide fan.

They used to be boisterous,
they used to be loud,
they used to be boastful,
and cocky and proud.
-
But they lost all their swagger,
they lost all their swing.
For one little second
had changed everything.
-
The score it was even.
The clock had run dry.
When Nicholas Saban
then started to cry.
-
He demanded a second
be put on the clock.
The worse that could happen?
A miss or a block.
-
But fate it is fickle,
and greed has a price,
and what happened next
just wasn’t too nice.
-
The previous kicks,
wide left and wide right.
So he put in a rookie,
'twas not very bright.
-
The kick was a boomer
of 56 yards,
but the extra yard needed
was not in the cards.
-
And back in the end zone
a lone Tiger stood.
He caught that ol’ football,
he caught it real good.
-
He started to run,
he heard the cheers grow.
The Crimson Tide offense?
Too fat and too slow.
-
One hundred and nine
he ran for a score.
If needed he could have
run one hundred more
-
The crowd it erupted
while storming the field.
The Crimson Tide’s season
was settled and sealed.
-
A cry of “War Eagle”
soon echoed the plain.
Nick Saban’s expression
was one of pure pain.
-
And up in Ohio
they shouted "Go Bucks"
It gave hope to many
except for the Ducks.
-
And in Tuscaloosa
you could hear a pin drop.
And in Tallahassee
a tomahawk chop.
-
For the night after Auburn
the Tide does not roll.
The new boss in town
wears garnet and gold.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 08:53 AM   #34
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Written by a Gator
{snip}

And in Tuscaloosa
And in Tallahassee
a tomahawk chop.
-
the Tide does not roll.
The new boss in town
wears garnet and gold.
Does....not...compute.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:24 AM   #35
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Apparently Florida hates Alabama more than FSU.

Wait, I agree, does...not...compute.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:54 AM   #36
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Charges not expected for Jameis Winston: Commentary on the unredacted police report - Tomahawk Nation
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 11:12 AM   #37
Logan
Head Coach

David Cutcliffe won Walter Camp Coach of the Year.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 11:17 AM   #38
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Written by a Gator

‘Twas the night after Auburn
and all through the land,
not a “Roll Tide” was uttered
by a Crimson Tide fan.

They used to be boisterous,
they used to be loud,
they used to be boastful,
and cocky and proud.
-
But they lost all their swagger,
they lost all their swing.
For one little second
had changed everything.
-
The score it was even.
The clock had run dry.
When Nicholas Saban
then started to cry.
-
He demanded a second
be put on the clock.
The worse that could happen?
A miss or a block.
-
But fate it is fickle,
and greed has a price,
and what happened next
just wasn’t too nice.
-
The previous kicks,
wide left and wide right.
So he put in a rookie,
'twas not very bright.
-
The kick was a boomer
of 56 yards,
but the extra yard needed
was not in the cards.
-
And back in the end zone
a lone Tiger stood.
He caught that ol’ football,
he caught it real good.
-
He started to run,
he heard the cheers grow.
The Crimson Tide offense?
Too fat and too slow.
-
One hundred and nine
he ran for a score.
If needed he could have
run one hundred more
-
The crowd it erupted
while storming the field.
The Crimson Tide’s season
was settled and sealed.
-
A cry of “War Eagle”
soon echoed the plain.
Nick Saban’s expression
was one of pure pain.
-
And up in Ohio
they shouted "Go Bucks"
It gave hope to many
except for the Ducks.
-
And in Tuscaloosa
And in Tallahassee
a tomahawk chop.
-
the Tide does not roll.
The new boss in town
wears garnet and gold.

I enjoyed this take on the ending.

mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 11:35 AM   #39
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
I enjoyed this take on the ending.

Thread won.
Old 12-05-2013, 12:41 PM   #40
Logan
Head Coach

ESPN reporting no charges for Winston.
Old 12-05-2013, 01:36 PM   #41
Logan
Head Coach

Oof.

Old 12-05-2013, 02:37 PM   #42
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
ESPN reporting no charges for Winston.

I hope they beat the crap out of OSU.
Old 12-05-2013, 03:08 PM   #43
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
I hope they beat the crap out of OSU.

x2.
Old 12-05-2013, 03:18 PM   #44
Butter
Coordinator

Assuming OSU beats Sparty.
Old 12-05-2013, 03:19 PM   #45
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:

Has anyone seen John L. Smith lately?
Old 12-05-2013, 04:54 PM   #46
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Old 12-05-2013, 05:01 PM   #47
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

dola

Love it when Mr. SEC does this near the end of the season in football and basketball.

The BCS Title Game: Five Teams, Two Slots, One Test Of Blind Resumes - MrSEC.com | SEC Football News | SEC Basketball News | SEC Football Recruiting | SEC Basketball Recruiting
Old 12-05-2013, 05:04 PM   #48
RedKingGold
College Starter

Fucking Maine.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 05:16 PM   #49
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post

That comparison seems to be missing a row. I would title that row: "Losses."
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 06:41 PM   #50
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I know OSU has had games where they show they might not be title game worthy, but they have a gear that MSU doesn't. If OSU comes to play, they'll win by a fair amount.