Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-10-2009, 07:54 AM   #51
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glengoyne View Post
I've never run into that. As a rule, I prefer to tip with cash rather than a card. That is for the benefit of the server. I can tip generously, and they are only taxed a percentage of my bill. At least that is how an ex-waiter friend of mine described it to me.

Now if you FORCE me to tip off of my card. Well you're just pissing me off, and that doesn't bode well for receiving a tip.

I try to never use cash for anything because I get charged by the ATMs to actually get to MY money (argh).

It sounds to me the benefit, unless I'm not quite understanding it, of a cash tip to the server is that they don't have to report it and therefore don't have to pay any taxes.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 10:24 AM   #52
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca View Post
It sounds to me the benefit, unless I'm not quite understanding it, of a cash tip to the server is that they don't have to report it and therefore don't have to pay any taxes.

correct.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 11:04 AM   #53
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
correct.

Of course that would be breaking tax law if you didn't report it....
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 11:07 AM   #54
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
Of course that would be breaking tax law if you didn't report it....

also correct.

There are a lot of myths about what percentage of sales you need to claim, etc...

There are people out there who will insist you have to claim only 8% of your sales, when legally you are obligated to claim 100% of tips.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 12:10 PM   #55
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

I go out of my way to tip on the card. I don't get to hide my income, why the hell should they?
lynchjm24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 04:43 PM   #56
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

So what exactly is a "Delivery Charge" for say delivery places? I'm debating this right now as I never carry cash and this $2 delivery charge from pizza hut is irritating me. 20 mins til the pizza is here tho...
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 04:55 PM   #57
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

It helps make up for all the terrible people out there that don't tip or undertip delivery drivers. The driver probably gets at least a buck from that, at some places the store takes a piece of the delivery fee which I don't agree with.

Years ago I delivered for a local place where the fee was $1 and it all went to the driver. I also delivered for Domino's at one point and the fee was $1.50, and $1 went to the driver.

Last edited by Big Fo : 10-10-2009 at 04:55 PM.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 05:00 PM   #58
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
It helps make up for all the terrible people out there that don't tip or undertip delivery drivers. The driver probably gets at least a buck from that, at some places the store takes a piece of the delivery fee which I don't agree with.

Years ago I delivered for a local place where the fee was $1 and it all went to the driver. I also delivered for Domino's at one point and the fee was $1.50, and $1 went to the driver.

If they would just allow tipping to be added to the bill (Pizza Hut doesn't allow it) then I'd throw on a tip in addition to the stupid delivery charge (like a buck).

I certainly understand the reasoning behind it (guarenteeing some tip money, being able to track if for tax purposes without lying) but they should just call it a tip for crying out loud...

Where I work there are tipped positions outside and as long as you claim $2/hr you don't get hassled (no tipped positions in the store where I work) and it averages out between the good tippers and the non-tippers. There's no way they could do a something like a delivery charge where I work due to not knowing who would get the tip...
Old 10-10-2009, 05:09 PM   #59
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby View Post
If they would just allow tipping to be added to the bill (Pizza Hut doesn't allow it) then I'd throw on a tip in addition to the stupid delivery charge (like a buck).

When paying by card there is no space on the receipt to write in a tip and adjusted total (cost of food plus tip) in between the cost of your order and the signature? That is unusual and I don't know why Pizza Hut might do that.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 05:12 PM   #60
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
When paying by card there is no space on the receipt to write in a tip and adjusted total (cost of food plus tip) in between the cost of your order and the signature? That is unusual and I don't know why Pizza Hut might do that.

They might on eat-in but I ordered online (maybe why there's the delivery fee?). I'm pretty sure if i sit down there I can add it on after i pay by card.
Old 10-10-2009, 05:23 PM   #61
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

heh, so it turns out that you can add on a tip onto your bill when the driver gets there and I knew him from my job (he used to work there, was a good worked) so I gave him another $2.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:43 AM   #62
DanGarion
Coordinator

Growing up I was taught it was 10-15% depending on service. Really bad service is lucky to get anything, below average gets 10 or less%, average service gets 15%, and those places that provide great service get 20%. In addition those places that we frequent we tend to give even more, with bills that are typically around $20 bucks getting a $10 tip.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 11:06 AM   #63
Kodos
Resident Alien

My standard is 20%, unless your service sucks.

Last edited by Kodos : 10-13-2009 at 11:06 AM.
Kodos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 11:28 AM   #64
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Tell you another place that does it: Sonic.

Best I've been able to figure with them it's because they don't print anything out before they run your card & they input the exact amount of the order when they run your card. There's literally never anything to sign where you could put a tip even if you want to.
Old 10-13-2009, 12:43 PM   #65
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I don't get why delivery guys get tips. They are getting paid to drive around and drop stuff off at your house. That's their job. I can sort of understand tipping with waitresses, because the level of service can vary greatly from 'just the minimum' to 'my meal was 100% better due to the service'.

But the pizza guy? He either shows up or he doesn't. That's it. I don't want him burning red lights to get a $3 tip either. And if he takes too long, he's not doing 'the minimum' and he's setting himself up for complaints and being fired. There are no other variables to his service. How is he different than the dude working in the back of the pizza joint? Or from the guy shlepping McFlurries out the drive through window?

Anyways, I tip pizza guys because its expected, but I resent them for it.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 12:48 PM   #66
Autumn
Head Coach

I agree, there are a lot of jobs now where tipping seems like just a way for the employer to get out of paying more in wages.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 12:51 PM   #67
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
I agree, there are a lot of jobs now where tipping seems like just a way for the employer to get out of paying more in wages.

that's exactly the reason. if somebody paid their pizza delivery guys a normal wage and said no tipping it'd be no big deal. but because they don't they force the consumers to subsidize it.

which really isn't that big of a deal. figure you're paying on average how much for a delivered pie? I mean it's not your higher-class $13-for-an-individual pizzas. So with your tip it works out to be something maybe closer to that or so. It shouldn't break the bank for anybody I wouldn't think.

Then again, it's sleazy by the pizza shops.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 12:52 PM   #68
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
I don't get why delivery guys get tips. They are getting paid to drive around and drop stuff off at your house. That's their job. I can sort of understand tipping with waitresses, because the level of service can vary greatly from 'just the minimum' to 'my meal was 100% better due to the service'.

But the pizza guy? He either shows up or he doesn't. That's it. I don't want him burning red lights to get a $3 tip either. And if he takes too long, he's not doing 'the minimum' and he's setting himself up for complaints and being fired. There are no other variables to his service. How is he different than the dude working in the back of the pizza joint? Or from the guy shlepping McFlurries out the drive through window?

Lot of times pizza delivery guys have to provide their own car, and their place of employment doesn't always reimburse them for travel costs. That's why I tip 'em. I think Pizza Hut's delivery charge, to use Chubby's example, doesn't go to the delivery guy. I suspect it's largely to recoup the headcount costs associated with having a guy whose only job is to deliver pizza.

The other part of it that I've thought about since moving here from California is weather. If I'm ordering pizza in December and it's nasty outside, yes, I'm going to give the pizza guy a better-than-usual-tip assuming normal-or-better service.

In California, that was really never a concern for me, and so the tip was always based on things like promptness of delivery, communication (in case something happened like a car breaking down and deliveries slowing way down as a result), that sort of thing.

Out here, though, I feel just a little guilty when I'm inside my apartment and the delivery guy has to come through a semi-blizzard to bring me my eats.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 12:54 PM   #69
larrymcg421
Head Coach

I don't know. A delivery driver incurs gas charges and wear and tear to their vehicle, so I would probably tip them even if they did get a higher wage. Not to mention if you live in a hard to reach area or it's raining, etc. I will tip more in such cases.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 12:57 PM   #70
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
I don't know. A delivery driver incurs gas charges and wear and tear to their vehicle, so I would probably tip them even if they did get a higher wage. Not to mention if you live in a hard to reach area or it's raining, etc. I will tip more in such cases.

that is true. gas + wear+tear *nods* silly me
Old 10-13-2009, 01:19 PM   #71
Passacaglia
Coordinator

There's also got to be some insurance issues. Do delivery drivers still have to pay their own insurance, or does the place cover them while they're at work? I've got to imagine that if you're using your own car, and you list your occupation as delivery driver, your rates have got to be sky-high.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 01:23 PM   #72
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
that is true. gas + wear+tear *nods* silly me

On the other hand, just for a few examples, rural mail carriers, newspaper delivery people (what few are left these days anyway) and telephone book delivery people also often use their personal vehicles and are not necessarily compensated equivalent to their actual vehicle expenses either.

Do we tip them too?

FTR, I pretty much always tip food delivery people for getting it to me in one piece in an edible condition. Just sayin' they aren't the only people using their pov for deliveries.
Old 10-13-2009, 01:28 PM   #73
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
I mean it's not your higher-class $13-for-an-individual pizzas.

Have you checked the prices Pizza Hut and Papa Johns charge these days?
Old 10-13-2009, 01:31 PM   #74
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
On the other hand, just for a few examples, rural mail carriers, newspaper delivery people (what few are left these days anyway) and telephone book delivery people also often use their personal vehicles and are not necessarily compensated equivalent to their actual vehicle expenses either.

Do we tip them too?

FTR, I pretty much always tip food delivery people for getting it to me in one piece in an edible condition. Just sayin' they aren't the only people using their pov for deliveries.

I bet the expectation of a Christm -- uh, holiday gift is higher in those cases. Although even that's not enough to make up for a tip every day of the year.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 03:35 PM   #75
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Do we tip them too?

Mail Carriers-crazy overpaid, and are getting reimbursed for mileage/fuel and/or able to take 55 cents per mile as a deduction at the end of the year.

Newspaper people-Most of the ones around here are union, they get X cents per mile, plus a fuel check every month, plus an hourly wage 10-12/hour.

Telephone book people probably do alright after deductions, etc.

I think most anyone driving a vehicle for buisiness is most likely getting a fair reimbursement.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 03:41 PM   #76
Malificent
High School JV

Quote:

Do we tip them too?

Mail carriers get in federal trouble if they mess with your mail. Pizza delivery guys will rarely get caught if they spit in your food. The tip for delivery guys is a defensive one. If you order from the same place all the time, it also serves as a potential encouragement to get the food quick and fresh. Of course, I don't order enough pizza to get that benefit, so I tip enough to make sure I won't regret it later.
Old 10-13-2009, 03:42 PM   #77
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Mail Carriers-crazy overpaid, and are getting reimbursed for mileage/fuel and/or able to take 55 cents per mile as a deduction at the end of the year.

They're the best paid of the bunch almost certainly but they're still driving pov's for the job they agreed to do for X compensation, just like the pizza guys.

Quote:
Newspaper people-Most of the ones around here are union, they get X cents per mile, plus a fuel check every month, plus an hourly wage 10-12/hour.

Different areas I guess. What few are left around here anymore are usually part-time employees, even temps, with no benefits & a travel allowance that doesn't seem to cover gas cost much less wear & tear.

Quote:
Telephone book people probably do alright after deductions, etc.

Pretty much bottom of the job food chain here best I can tell. It's a job you take if you can't get the good one delivering pizza.

Quote:
I think most anyone driving a vehicle for buisiness is most likely getting a fair reimbursement.

We've got very different points of view on what those folks are making I guess {shrug}
Old 10-13-2009, 03:51 PM   #78
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
They're the best paid of the bunch almost certainly but they're still driving pov's for the job they agreed to do for X compensation, just like the pizza guys.

Are you sure they're not getting .55 a mile for using pov's?
Old 10-13-2009, 03:56 PM   #79
stevew
Hall Of Famer

yeah, I'd almost think telephone people come out of it the best. No wage or income, if they are a contractor they probably made no taxable money after deductions.

Last edited by stevew : 10-13-2009 at 03:56 PM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 04:04 PM   #80
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari View Post
Are you sure they're not getting .55 a mile for using pov's?

That part I'm sure about. There's even specific language in IRS publications specifically saying they cannot use the standard rate if they receive "qualified reimbursement" as negotiated in their 1991 collective bargaining agreement.

Problem with that (for our purposes) is that I haven't been able to find what that rate actually is today.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:36 PM   #81
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I guess what I don't understand is why I should tip a guy because he chose a shitty occupation. I don't tip my garbage man, and his job sucks balls even if he doesn't have to pick up the trash in his own car. If you don't think driving your car around to deliver pizza is worth the associated costs unless you're getting tips to discourage you from cumming on the pepperoni, then don't take the job.

I always thought a tip was for good service, not charity.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Old 10-14-2009, 01:00 AM   #82
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
I tip waiters and delivery people but I feel there is no reason to tip at pick-up counters where someone literally reaches over two feet to grab my order and hands it to me, jar or no jar. I've never seen a jar at fast food restaurants, that's a freaking joke imo.

I do tip the barber if I think my haircut looks good though.

I'm skipping the rest of the thread, so fie on me if I missed it.

But nine times out of ten, the person who is working the pick up counter arranged the order from the kitchen, put it in boxes, secured the boxes, then put them in bags. They also more than likely checked to see that you had napkins, utensils and other such things (bread and butter, chips and salsa, etc). Usually, the only thing a take-out server DOESN'T do that a waiter does is refill drinks. They also make about 1/3rd of what a real server makes (financially).

I'm not saying go tip your Jack-in-the-Box drive through helper, but if you would tip the people had you ate in, it doesn't hurt to throw the take-out person a tip.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 01:11 AM   #83
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:

Former pizza delivery guy chiming in...

It's really easy to "shoot the messenger." If the pizza took too long, 99.9999999999% of the time, it's not at all the driver's fault. Typically, the ONLY time a driver takes too long to get somewhere is if they are new and get lost on the way. There are about a million variables to the delivery driver's service...
  • Did the person taking the phone order (quite possibly the delivery guy himself) place it properly and in a timely fashion?
  • Did the person building the pizza make it properly? Was it put in the oven on time?
  • How busy is the store? A pizza oven is only so big, and if there is no room for more pizza, the next pizza has to wait. Since there are probably other orders to be made, the finished (but uncooked) pizza is usually set near the oven while the employee goes to make more pizzas. Said pizzas left by the oven can easily be forgotten.
  • Did the dispatch manager prepare the right order for delivery? Ultimately it's the driver's responsibility to make sure that the order he's given matches what he's supposed to be taking, but occasionally two orders get mixed up.

Typically, the delivery driver is the same as any other employee in the store - when he's not out delivering pizzas, he's making pizzas, answering phones, washing dishes, etc. He is no different from the guy in the back of the pizza joint...except he has to deal with the asshole customer face-to-face.

I'm aware that there are many people in this line of work who are far from responsible, or even from giving two shits about the job they do. But to say that their only job is to drive from point A to point B and that if they aren't there on time they deserve to be complained about and/or fired is pretty harsh, and typically incorrect.
Old 10-14-2009, 01:11 AM   #84
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

I told myself I wasn't going to open this stupid thread. Do you see what you guys made me do?
Old 10-14-2009, 01:15 AM   #85
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Yeah, nothing sucks more than having someone else fuck up, and then you have to go face some pissed off person and get punished for the sins of the world (or sins of your co-workers), when it's almost never the other way around.
Old 10-14-2009, 01:18 AM   #86
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Also, I have worked for four different delivery companies. I have never, ever seen a "delivery fee" that eventually went back to the drivers. The only place I worked for that gave the drivers anything other than their hourly wage was Woodstock's Pizza, who paid us $0.25 per delivery - but they were also the only place I worked that didn't charge anything for the delivery.
Old 10-14-2009, 07:04 AM   #87
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
That part I'm sure about. There's even specific language in IRS publications specifically saying they cannot use the standard rate if they receive "qualified reimbursement" as negotiated in their 1991 collective bargaining agreement.

So, they are receiving some reimbursement for using their pov's?
Old 10-14-2009, 07:11 AM   #88
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
I guess what I don't understand is why I should tip a guy because he chose a shitty occupation. I don't tip my garbage man, and his job sucks balls even if he doesn't have to pick up the trash in his own car.

I don't know if it's a US thing, or maybe even limited to certain states, but when I was growing up my parents sure as hell tipped the garbagemen, as did most other people.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 07:24 AM   #89
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
I don't know if it's a US thing, or maybe even limited to certain states, but when I was growing up my parents sure as hell tipped the garbagemen, as did most other people.

Out here, the garbage men are Union and get paid quite well.

As for the Pizza place. I have one place close to the house I get my Pizza from. If it's a gameday for me I call for Delivery. If it's not I will pick up. I am on a first name basis with most of the crew, they know they get tipped well with Delivery and I almost get some sort of freebie whenever I order...Usually it's extra garlic bread with mozzarella however it has been pizza, antipasti and wings in the past. Just depends on them and the kind of day they are having. Oh, and I can run a tab here now if I wanted to (Which I took advantage of one day when I showed up to pick up the pizza and left my wallet at home, I turned around the next day and paid for it, plus some)
Old 10-14-2009, 07:45 AM   #90
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I think that was more common when you had regular garbagemen; i.e. the same guy coming to your house most every week.

That's not always the case anymore, there seems to be a rotating cast of characters, any combination of the several of them could be on the truck when it stops at my house. And since it's pretty likely they've all made more in the past couple of years than I have, damned if I'm tipping a half dozen different guys for consistently putting my can back in the wrong place.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:47 AM   #91
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
for consistently putting my can back in the wrong place.

Put it back?

I have never seen a garbageman do anything but throw them back in the general direction of the home they started in front of.

Who even sees their garbageman anymore? Aren't most people inside getting ready for work, then at work during the time they would come? I would not recognize any garbageman who had ever come to my house.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:51 AM   #92
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
Also, I have worked for four different delivery companies. I have never, ever seen a "delivery fee" that eventually went back to the drivers. The only place I worked for that gave the drivers anything other than their hourly wage was Woodstock's Pizza, who paid us $0.25 per delivery - but they were also the only place I worked that didn't charge anything for the delivery.

yummy
Old 10-14-2009, 08:51 AM   #93
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Well, around here they are big on the automated trucks, which means they drive up, push a button, then drive on when it's done.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:09 AM   #94
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Put it back?

I have never seen a garbageman do anything but throw them back in the general direction of the home they started in front of.

Who even sees their garbageman anymore? Aren't most people inside getting ready for work, then at work during the time they would come? I would not recognize any garbageman who had ever come to my house.

Until this particular company, I've never had one for whom the general direction meant either put it in the street, the driveway, or the storm gutter where it can wash 50 yards down the hill & land in the wooded lot next door.

All of the companies (at least four of them I know of) who service this neighborhood still have workers dismount at least to put the cans back in place since either they aren't using automated lift & dump or they've had problems with them replacing the cans properly. If they're going to manually put it back after dumping anyway, it's frustrating when they put it somewhere it shouldn't be when it could just as easily be placed safely three feet in the other direction.

You forget/didn't realize, I work from a home office, so I see them maybe half the time.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:50 AM   #95
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
Former pizza delivery guy chiming in...

It's really easy to "shoot the messenger." If the pizza took too long, 99.9999999999% of the time, it's not at all the driver's fault. Typically, the ONLY time a driver takes too long to get somewhere is if they are new and get lost on the way. There are about a million variables to the delivery driver's service...
  • Did the person taking the phone order (quite possibly the delivery guy himself) place it properly and in a timely fashion?
  • Did the person building the pizza make it properly? Was it put in the oven on time?
  • How busy is the store? A pizza oven is only so big, and if there is no room for more pizza, the next pizza has to wait. Since there are probably other orders to be made, the finished (but uncooked) pizza is usually set near the oven while the employee goes to make more pizzas. Said pizzas left by the oven can easily be forgotten.
  • Did the dispatch manager prepare the right order for delivery? Ultimately it's the driver's responsibility to make sure that the order he's given matches what he's supposed to be taking, but occasionally two orders get mixed up.

Typically, the delivery driver is the same as any other employee in the store - when he's not out delivering pizzas, he's making pizzas, answering phones, washing dishes, etc. He is no different from the guy in the back of the pizza joint...except he has to deal with the asshole customer face-to-face.

I'm aware that there are many people in this line of work who are far from responsible, or even from giving two shits about the job they do. But to say that their only job is to drive from point A to point B and that if they aren't there on time they deserve to be complained about and/or fired is pretty harsh, and typically incorrect.

Let me put it to you this way: I'm a customer. I don't give a shit if Betty on the phone fucked up, or Joey by the oven fucked up, or Gino at my door fucked up. Here's what I care about: is my pizza relatively warm, and did it come within a reasonable amount of time. If it didn't, I'm not going to ream out any of the above. I'll call up the store and say "my pizza showed up cold/late". The manager can assign blame however he wants, I don't care.

So, my point is this: if Gino (the guy at my door) was not the problem, then he has nothing to worry about. He did his job. If he was the problem, then he deservers to be worried, and should do a better job. In none of these scenarios do I feel that Gino should get an extra couple bucks. He did exactly what he was supposed to, just like any number of other employees back at the pizza joint or in any other workplace.

I worked as a gas jockey for a number of years. I rarely, if ever, got tipped. I still hustled my ass off for my 5 bucks an hour though. You know why? It was my job. I didn't feel shafted every time I checked someones oil and didn't get a tip. I felt like I just earned 1/10th of my hourly wage. Sometimes it was 30 below outside, and the person inside at the till was getting paid the same as I was, even though they were warm and I was freezing. Well, guess what? That's fucking life. A year later I was the warm one because I worked hard and got rewarded for it.

At no point did I ever expect the customers to be paying me for my troubles, unless they started having me do bullshit that was outside the norms of my job, like changing wiper blades or tires or something. If I asked the pizza guy to stop by 7-11 and pick me up a Slurpee on the way over, then sure, the guy deserves a tip. Isn't that what tips are for? As a reward for exceptional service? I'm already paying for regular service, I shouldn't have to tip for that.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:15 AM   #96
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
You know why? It was my job. I didn't feel shafted every time I checked someones oil and didn't get a tip. I felt like I just earned 1/10th of my hourly wage.

I would have fired your ass for taking 6 minutes to check oil.

Slacker.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 11:49 AM   #97
watravaler
High School JV

Quote:

I give them a tip 'round Christmas time, along with the UPS/Fedex drivers/etc...they certainly deserve it, imo...
watravaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 11:51 AM   #98
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Tips - To Insure Prompt Service. As you've seen from other comments, people who tip well consistently are looked out for. Drivers (and in-house workers) will work harder to insure that the pizzas are made on time, and that they go out correctly and promptly. If there is extra food (a pizza or side order made incorrectly), it might find its way into the consistent customer's order free of charge as a thank you for being a good customer, instead of in the back room for the employees to enjoy as a reward for working hard.

The delivery driver works his job under the assumption that he is going to get tipped. He didn't invent tipping culture, but he took his job with the tipping culture in mind. Being a pizza delivery driver is a two-edged sword - you can make pretty decent money, but again...you have to deal with assholes. While you say that "Gino" has nothing to worry about if he wasn't the problem...you still aren't tipping him. So it instantly becomes his problem.

Do you tip waiters in restaurants? By your logic, you completely and totally shouldn't. It is their job to bring you the food, refill the drinks, and such. Why are you tipping them if they are simply doing their job?

It is rare that a delivery company will pay their employee for wear and tear on their cars or gas - part of the territory is that they are going to get tipped, and that is intended to cover the costs associated with delivering. If you aren't tipping the delivery driver, you're directly impacting his income. Delivery drivers deserve a tip more than waiters do, more often than not - they are utilizing their car to offer you a service (you don't have to leave your house). Using a car puts mileage, wear and tear, and uses gas (which is expensive as hell), so they are not only "doing their job," but they are spending their own resources on your behalf.

If you don't want to tip for pizza delivery, that is your prerogative - but you are in the minority, and the employees are going to consider you as such. I've never seen a fellow employee spit in anyone's food (and I worked in the food industry for 9 years before I got out), but then again I never worked for the "bottom rung" of Domino's/Pizza Hut/etc.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:54 AM   #99
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Put it back?

As a meter reader now, I've run into more than my share of garbage men. What's pretty interesting is watching the different styles in different towns. For example, in Carmel residents don't even have to move their cans to the street. The garbage men will walk up to the side of the house, bring the cans down to the street to empty them, and then put them back exactly how they found them before moving on to the next house.

Most neighborhoods I am aware of, residents drag their cans to the street, the garbage man picks up the trash and leaves the cans on the street, and the residents drag the cans back in the evening.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:56 AM   #100
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Also, an addendum to Pizza Delivery guys...

Every single pizza place I've worked for, the Delivery Guys are required to "tip out" the in house staff - a percentage of their tips every day is put into the general employee tip jar to be shared by all. So you aren't just tipping Gino the delivery guy. Typically 10-25% of your tip goes into the employee fund.