Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-10-2022, 12:41 PM   #101
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

How long until Kirk Cameron cites this as proof that God is real?
Old 11-10-2022, 07:27 PM   #102
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Someone paid their $8, set up a fake TeslaReal account, and posted "A second Tesla has hit the World Trade Center."

I'm not sure Twitter is going to make it to 2023...
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 07:39 PM   #103
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I just have this picture in my head that he's in this abandoned cubicle farm, surrounded by desks that used to have people he fired last week. Musk comes across the only guy left on the floor and yells "FIX THIS FAKE USER PROBLEM", only for the guy to go "Sure, boss, but I don't know how - I just clean the floors here".

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 07:47 PM   #104
Ksyrup

In all seriousness, this is crazy.

M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 11-10-2022, 07:50 PM   #105
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Some business genius, this guy.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 08:02 PM   #106
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

How does a bankruptcy court treat a new company owner that files two weeks after the purchase mainly because of the debt he brought to the company?
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 08:03 PM   #107
Ksyrup

Bone saws, activate!

Old 11-11-2022, 07:23 AM   #108
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
How does a bankruptcy court treat a new company owner that files two weeks after the purchase mainly because of the debt he brought to the company?

Probably like any other bankruptcy, although this case from the Southern District of New York shows a judge taking a very dim view towards these financial shenanigans.

In reality, IMO, there need to be laws against this kind of leveraged buyout when it's not even close to clear how the debt will realistically be serviced. These stupid financing decisions end up, as we've seen time and time again, costing lots and lots of people their jobs & livelihoods (if you have little sympathy for Twitter's highly-paid coders, spare a thought for the blue collar workers who service their many facilities).
Old 11-11-2022, 08:30 AM   #109
GrantDawg

The blue "blue" checkmarks that had gone white-grey recently have now turned bright blue. They have also turned off the ability to join "Twitter Blue in the US.
Old 11-11-2022, 08:30 AM   #110
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
Probably like any other bankruptcy, although this case from the Southern District of New York shows a judge taking a very dim view towards these financial shenanigans.

In reality, IMO, there need to be laws against this kind of leveraged buyout when it's not even close to clear how the debt will realistically be serviced. These stupid financing decisions end up, as we've seen time and time again, costing lots and lots of people their jobs & livelihoods (if you have little sympathy for Twitter's highly-paid coders, spare a thought for the blue collar workers who service their many facilities).

And it's not like this is a new problem - leveraged buyouts were really in vogue in the 80s and 90s and ruined a lot of companies. I have to think there should be some accounting rules about not being able to use what you're buying as collateral and the company being bought not having to service the debt of the owners. But I'm sure it's a lot more complicated than I understand to actually stop this sort of crap.

SI

Old 11-11-2022, 08:41 AM   #111
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Reddit has us covered for the Twitpocalpse

RealTwitterAccounts

SI

Old 11-11-2022, 08:48 AM   #112
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
And it's not like this is a new problem - leveraged buyouts were really in vogue in the 80s and 90s and ruined a lot of companies. I have to think there should be some accounting rules about not being able to use what you're buying as collateral and the company being bought not having to service the debt of the owners. But I'm sure it's a lot more complicated than I understand to actually stop this sort of crap.

SI
That is impossible and really not even reasonable. Every mortgage and car loan uses the item purchased as collateral. Banks do that on cars knowing they could not possibly make up the loss if the buyer never makes a payment on that car.

I do call into question the reasoning of the banks on the Twitter loan. They loaned this money and immediately started trying to sell off the debt at less than the value loaned. How does that make sense? They are offering not two weeks later at 60% value and can't find takers. How does everyone involved not immediately lose their jobs?
Old 11-11-2022, 08:49 AM   #113
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Reddit has us covered for the Twitpocalpse

RealTwitterAccounts

SI

That's Gold Jerry, Gold!
Old 11-11-2022, 08:53 AM   #114
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
That's Gold Jerry, Gold!

Saw this on Reddit somewhere (paraphrased): "Remember when we had to use Photoshop to make these jokes? Now it just costs $8"

SI

Old 11-11-2022, 10:07 AM   #115
Ksyrup

I added that script to Chrome that shows you who is actually verified and who just paid $8 and it's very helpful. It's like x-ray vision.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 11-11-2022 at 10:07 AM.
Old 11-11-2022, 10:13 AM   #116
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
That is impossible and really not even reasonable. Every mortgage and car loan uses the item purchased as collateral. Banks do that on cars knowing they could not possibly make up the loss if the buyer never makes a payment on that car.

But, to use that analogy, banks making the car loans have a reasonable expectation (based on your financial information) that you will, tempered with their own statistics on defaults from your cohort.

In the case I linked the judge pointed out that the numbers didn't add up from the start. It would have taken a series of business miracles for the debt to be serviced. From the moment the deal was signed it was a foregone conclusion that the company would go bankrupt after the asset stripping was done.

Quote:
I do call into question the reasoning of the banks on the Twitter loan. They loaned this money and immediately started trying to sell off the debt at less than the value loaned. How does that make sense? They are offering not two weeks later at 60% value and can't find takers. How does everyone involved not immediately lose their jobs?

We're back to mortgage defaults, CDOs, and 2008 all over again. The reason the banks are fine going through this are (and, again, it's part of the case I linked above and the judge's castigation of the lenders):

1. The banks know they can offload a certain portion of the debt to rubes (Twitter's implosion happening so quickly has clearly hampered this, but it was absolutely part of the original strategy).

2. There's potential upside that could have materialized.

3. Losses for banks, as long as they're not existentially ruinious, are actually beneficial from a tax avoidance standpoint, especially since you can carry those losses, year-over-year, until you need them (e.g. to offset a windfall year).

Don't get me wrong, some people are going to lose their jobs, but as the years since 2008 have shown, there's simply not enough regulatory disincentive against this risky practices, and importantly the people who get hurt aren't those involved in the transactions, they're the people who lose their jobs due to bankruptcies (either directly or indirectly - e.g. contracted cafeteria staff, janitors, etc...).

There's a real, tangible societal harm to allowing this behavior to continue.
Old 11-11-2022, 12:54 PM   #117
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I think Twitter is showing to be a good counterexample of "I don't give a damn what you say about me, just so you spell my name right."

SI

Old 11-11-2022, 12:57 PM   #118
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Eli Lily may destroy Musk and Twitter.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 02:28 PM   #119
whomario
Pro Starter

“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 02:33 PM   #120
Ksyrup

Old 11-11-2022, 02:37 PM   #121
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Eli Lily may destroy Musk and Twitter.

Oh my, their stocks have dropped 5% overnight because the "insulin is now free" fake tweet. I sense a lawsuit coming.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 03:15 PM   #122
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:

In fairness, he's done quite a bit in 2 weeks to destroy the value of the company. The Paul Pelosi tweet probably sunk the company by itself.

A lot of the financing was put together when he bought the company earlier in the year. Things have changed since then (recession fears, high interest rates).

The Saudis and Chinese on the other hand just wanted access to Twitter to root out dissidents. I don't think they care much about the actual return on investment.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 03:21 PM   #123
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
Oh my, their stocks have dropped 5% overnight because the "insulin is now free" fake tweet. I sense a lawsuit coming.

Is Eli Lily anti free speech?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 05:06 PM   #124
RainMaker
General Manager

Reports are they sold a little over 100,000 Twitter Blue subscriptions. So all that for about a million dollars.
Old 11-11-2022, 05:15 PM   #125
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
The Saudis and Chinese on the other hand just wanted access to Twitter to root out dissidents. I don't think they care much about the actual return on investment.

I assume the value for them would only hold if Twitter still, uh, exists...!
Old 11-12-2022, 11:04 AM   #126
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

https://twitter.com/aleshadalin/stat...n1uYddi3FULu0g
Old 11-12-2022, 12:13 PM   #127
Kodos
Resident Alien

That was good!
Old 11-14-2022, 12:17 PM   #128
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Years ago, I had a friend whose mom would periodically "clean up" her computer to get it to run faster. She would do this by going through and just manually deleting files that she did not recognize. This, of course, led to her computer ceasing to function because some of those seemingly pointless files were actually necessary to keep the machine running.

Anyway, food for thought.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 12:33 PM   #129
whomario
Pro Starter

Saw a Twitter employee go to town on this issue, going out in a blaze of glory. Also, i can't believe how fervently random people will defend a billionaire against being corrected.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 11-14-2022 at 12:55 PM.
Old 11-14-2022, 01:08 PM   #130
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

"I don't always test my code, but when I do, I do it in production"

SI

Old 11-14-2022, 01:16 PM   #131
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Years ago, I had a friend whose mom would periodically "clean up" her computer to get it to run faster. She would do this by going through and just manually deleting files that she did not recognize. This, of course, led to her computer ceasing to function because some of those seemingly pointless files were actually necessary to keep the machine running.

Anyway, food for thought.

I used to be that guy. You learn a lot about troubleshooting when you start randomly breaking stuff

SI

Old 11-14-2022, 01:39 PM   #132
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I'm gonna stop piling on, but this really is gobsmacking.

Old 11-14-2022, 01:46 PM   #133
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
I used to be that guy. You learn a lot about troubleshooting when you start randomly breaking stuff

SI

You learned a lot. She got my friend to come in and reinstall Windows
Old 11-15-2022, 02:42 AM   #134
whomario
Pro Starter

Responding to a 'verified' user named FBIPantyRaid alerting him to the plight of Rittenhouse just adds to the absurdity.
Old 11-15-2022, 11:58 AM   #135
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post

Responding to a 'verified' user named FBIPantyRaid alerting him to the plight of Rittenhouse just adds to the absurdity.

Can't figure out why none of the big companies want their ads on the site.
Old 11-15-2022, 12:12 PM   #136
Ksyrup

Old 11-15-2022, 10:48 PM   #137
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Sure, it's not about Twitter, but how about FB?

Facebook fact-checkers will stop checking Trump after presidential bid announcement | CNN Politics

Quote:
The memo noted that “political speech is ineligible for fact-checking. This includes the words a politician says as well as photo, video, or other content that is clearly labeled as created by the politician or their campaign.”

Somehow politicians are immune from fact checking. For... reasons?

SI

Old 11-16-2022, 07:09 AM   #138
Kodos
Resident Alien

They didn’t want to hire the amount of people needed to fact check The Liar.
Old 11-16-2022, 09:34 AM   #139
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
They didn’t want to hire the amount of people needed to fact check The Liar.

"Good news: We just laid off 11K people from the Meta project. Bad news: we had to rehire them all back to fact check TFG"

SI

Old 11-16-2022, 10:44 AM   #140
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Hearts & minds, people....

Old 11-16-2022, 11:11 AM   #141
HerRealName
College Prospect

Quote:
Hearts & minds, people....

What type of person would click on 'Yes'? You could accidentally hurt Musk's feelings next week and get fired anyway.
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 11:32 AM   #142
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Coming soon.....TWITTER...IN....SPACE-space-sapce-space-space...
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 11:35 AM   #143
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

This seems like a great way to attract young talent. Who wants to bring their dog to work when you can work sweat shop hours instead.
Old 11-16-2022, 11:47 AM   #144
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Doesn't this just mean that the talented people (i.e. the ones best able to get a new job) will take three months pay and leave and the less talented people will stay?
Old 11-16-2022, 11:52 AM   #145
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Tell me you didn't understand that you bought a social media company and a user base that's worth billions without telling me.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 11-16-2022 at 11:52 AM.
Old 11-16-2022, 12:19 PM   #146
whomario
Pro Starter

He's doing what Trump did: Weed out anybody qualified and critical (often going Hand in Hand) and elevating sycophants and those that are fatuated with some idea of him or simply desperate enough to let themselves be abused. Those that need these jobs are the the big loosers here.

Last edited by whomario : 11-16-2022 at 12:43 PM.
Old 11-16-2022, 02:16 PM   #147
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Doesn't this just mean that the talented people (i.e. the ones best able to get a new job) will take three months pay and leave and the less talented people will stay?

Yes, although I'm sure some talented people who can't afford to lose their job (e.g. can't have a break in health insurance, visa is tied to Twitter, are in a tough financial situation) will also stay.

The problem, I would imagine, is that desperate and/or sycophantic are indistinguishable from talented to Musk. Note how he decided to fire people who wrote less code than others, not understanding that the truly talented people write less code because a) they're more efficient and/or b) they're working on more thorny issues which require more thinking and less coding.
Old 11-16-2022, 02:17 PM   #148
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerRealName View Post
What type of person would click on 'Yes'? You could accidentally hurt Musk's feelings next week and get fired anyway.

If my company did this, I'd probably click "yes" since I'm in a comfortable financial situation and don't have a worry about finding a new job. I'd then see how little I could do before getting fired, just for the lulz.
Old 11-16-2022, 02:30 PM   #149
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
If my company did this, I'd probably click "yes" since I'm in a comfortable financial situation and don't have a worry about finding a new job. I'd then see how little I could do before getting fired, just for the lulz.

I knew a guy who worked for a famously sweatshop-like law firm. He had a co-worker who decided he had had enough. But instead of quitting, he just kept turning down work from the partners, telling them he was too busy on a project from some other partner, etc.

And because (at least at the time) the bosses didn't look holistically at one's hours until the end of the year, he basically pulled down a big law firm salary for a year while pretty much doing nothing.
Old 11-16-2022, 02:32 PM   #150
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

dola:

I suspect that one could hang around Twitter/Tesla for a while doing very little work as long as you randomly sent out messages at, like, 4AM and made sure Elon was aware that you were "working" then and publicly defended/fanboyed him on Twitter and in staff meetings, etc.

He'd probably promote you several times over people who were actually working.