Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-23-2011, 01:22 PM   #601
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

The Badgers true freshman, Josh Gasser picks up the 1st ever Triple Double in Wisconsin Badger History. Kenpom had the Badgers winning by 1, instead they win by 30+. Big win for the Badgers on the road. The Badgers were a 9 point lead, 2 minute meltdown at E. Lansing from just having 1 loss in conference play. Ah, well, it doesn't look like it's going to matter anyway as Ohio St looks like they'll run away with the conference. Purdue and Wisconsin will be fighting for second at this rate.

Last edited by mauchow : 01-23-2011 at 01:23 PM.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 08:28 PM   #602
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
LOL..Oh, I'm sorry...I guess Syracuse is just racking up the frequent bus rider miles.

Boeheim knows how to schedule. The best way to manipulate the RPI is get off to a good start W/L wise, get a couple of wins against decent major conference teams (at home or neutral sites is fine), and a couple of wins against some decent mid-majors that should finish in the top 100 or so (at home or neutral sites is fine), but nothing too taxing before Big East play starts. Then when you're in conference, you have a decent margin for error (and PLENTY of opportunities to pick up quality road wins).

Last edited by molson : 01-23-2011 at 08:28 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 09:38 PM   #603
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Boy, this BJ Young saga just continues to get crazier and crazier. Over the weekend, he was ejected for the third time this season. It's the second time he's punched another player during a game.

This kid needs more than a college scholarship. He needs some serious counseling or he's going to be in a jail cell facing assault charges rather than a college dorm room next year.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 05:46 AM   #604
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

SEND IT IN, JEROME!

Hard to believe it's been 23 years!

http://www.youtube.com/v/-i0FdOAg9eg?fs=1&amphl=en_US[/url]" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385">

And the obligatory link, because embedding never, ever, ever, ever works for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-i0FdOAg9eg
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 07:10 AM   #605
Butter
Coordinator

That was pretty awesome. I remember watching that game, because there was only one ESPN back then, and only like 30 channels.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:24 AM   #606
whomario
Pro Starter

i´ve actually never seen that before, that was a true "wtf" moment Has anyone ever determined why it happened ? That glass seemed to break awfully easy and instantly

speaking of Pittsburgh, they just lost to Notre Dame who finally win a tough game on the road this year.
That game was sloooooow ... (combined only 84 FGs and 29 FTs)
The smaller Hansbrough was impressive, tough competitive kid.

Last edited by whomario : 01-25-2011 at 07:26 AM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 07:47 AM   #607
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
That was pretty awesome. I remember watching that game, because there was only one ESPN back then, and only like 30 channels.

Yep...I was 11, nearly 12. I had an old 13" TV in my room, and thought that was the most amazing thing I'd ever seen.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:48 AM   #608
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
i´ve actually never seen that before, that was a true "wtf" moment Has anyone ever determined why it happened ? That glass seemed to break awfully easy and instantly

speaking of Pittsburgh, they just lost to Notre Dame who finally win a tough game on the road this year.
That game was sloooooow ... (combined only 84 FGs and 29 FTs)
The smaller Hansbrough was impressive, tough competitive kid.

Jerome Lane is freakishly strong!

And yes, that game was hard to watch last night.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:57 AM   #609
henry296
College Starter

My dad was at the Jerome Lane game at the old Fitzgerald Field House with seats near the court at the end of the court.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:44 AM   #610
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

As a Big 12 fan, I'd like to apologize to the rest of the nation that the KSU-Baylor game was shown nationally last night. Having to watch a coach who doesn't know how to coach (Drew) and a coach who has totally lost his players (Martin) was brutal and that's being kind. Bob Knight acted like he was ready to leave five minutes into the game and rightfully so.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:32 PM   #611
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
This should be pretty cool. Michigan State and North Carolina are tentatively scheduled to play each other next season in San Diego... on an aircraft carrier! On Veteran's Day as well.

Roy Williams confirms UNC-Mich. State game on aircraft carrier - Campus Rivalry: College Football & Basketball News, Recruiting, Game Picks, and More - USATODAY.com
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 06:43 PM   #612
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
This should be pretty cool. Michigan State and North Carolina are tentatively scheduled to play each other next season in San Diego... on an aircraft carrier! On Veteran's Day as well.

Roy Williams confirms UNC-Mich. State game on aircraft carrier - Campus Rivalry: College Football & Basketball News, Recruiting, Game Picks, and More - USATODAY.com
Very cool! Kudos to both schools for doing this...
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 07:37 PM   #613
Logan
Head Coach

Syracuse is completely shitting the bed against Seton Hall, down 17 in the Carrier Dome with about 7 minutes left.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 07:45 PM   #614
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

How would I find out who is calling the Ohio State - Purdue game for ESPN. Trying to pass the time.

Hope it's not Dicky V.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 08:15 PM   #615
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Ok- wacky idea but kindof cool

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 08:31 PM   #616
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:

That sounds awesome.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 10:34 PM   #617
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

If the Sidney Lowe job watch wasn't in full swing before, it's definitely on now. State threatened to run Clemson out of Littlejohn early, getting up 31-12 at one point, but totally and utterly fell apart after that. Clemson cut the lead to 34-29 by halftime (that's a 17-3 run if you're counting) and then dominated the second half (such as it was, both teams looked hideous on offense) and actually won fairly comfortably, 60-50.

What was expected to be a potential corner-turning season especially in a pillow-soft ACC has instead turned into yet another slog toward a below-.500 ACC record and maybe an NIT berth for the fun of it. The fan base is getting very restless at this point (and no, this should not be taken in any way, shape, or form that there's any remorse about Sendek and what happened with him -- quite the contrary, the overwhelming majority are still glad he's not here and there are still threads and flame wars over his current job success or lack thereof at Arizona State as people seem hellbent on justifying their positions on his job performance when he was here five years ago).
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 03:33 AM   #618
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Korie Lucious dismissed from Michigan State Spartans for conduct detrimental to team - ESPN

Spartans' season of woe continues.

Last edited by Matthean : 01-26-2011 at 03:33 AM.
Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 09:27 AM   #619
Logan
Head Coach

Can't believe I'm excited to stay up to watch a game on CBS College Sports tonight. Haven't seen a lick of SDSU so should be interesting.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:42 AM   #620
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
As a Big 12 fan, I'd like to apologize to the rest of the nation that the KSU-Baylor game was shown nationally last night. Having to watch a coach who doesn't know how to coach (Drew) and a coach who has totally lost his players (Martin) was brutal and that's being kind. Bob Knight acted like he was ready to leave five minutes into the game and rightfully so.

Hasnt Drew turned a program that had been in the shitter for a lot of years into a great eight program just last year?
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 11:33 AM   #621
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
Hasnt Drew turned a program that had been in the shitter for a lot of years into a great eight program just last year?

He's one of the best recruiters in the nation. He's also proven that he can regularly fail to coach a team well in crucial situations. Put the current team and talent in the hands of Self, Anderson, Barnes, even Doc Sadler and you have a top 10 team rather than an unranked mess.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:11 PM   #622
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Local reports that Tony Mitchell will enroll at North Texas. B12 doesn't allow partial qualifiers. He should have done that at the start of the year. Will be interesting to see if he transfers to Mizzou at the end of the year once his transcript is in order.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:12 PM   #623
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Local reports that Tony Mitchell will enroll at North Texas. B12 doesn't allow partial qualifiers. He should have done that at the start of the year. Will be interesting to see if he transfers to Mizzou at the end of the year once his transcript is in order.

Is he going to play this year for them?
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 01:15 PM   #624
Butter
Coordinator

Ohio State is starting to remind me of the Mike Conley/Greg Oden team of just a few years ago. No depth, but the players they do have are all among the tops in the nation at their positions. I don't think they'll go undefeated, but they should make a heck of a run in the NCAA's.
Old 01-26-2011, 01:55 PM   #625
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

It's going to be a tough bracket to fill out this year.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 03:57 PM   #626
Logan
Head Coach

Thought I'd share this story.

Coach K, Duke Help ‘Little Guy’ at Rutgers | ZagsBlog.com
Old 01-26-2011, 04:56 PM   #627
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
Is he going to play this year for them?

Supposedly he isn't going to be eligible to play for the Mean Green until the Spring semester of 2012.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:38 PM   #628
cartman
Death Herald

Another very impressive road win for Texas, beating Okie State in Stillwater 61-46. I was worried a bit about some complacency coming off of the big win against Kansas, but there was none.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:40 PM   #629
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

UT is looking really dangerous this year. I mean, typically, they're talented but they're playing like one hell of a team right now

SI

Old 01-26-2011, 08:57 PM   #630
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:

If he enrolls at North Texas, why would he transfer to Missouri at the end of the year?
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 09:07 PM   #631
cartman
Death Herald

BYU - SDSU about to tip off on CBS College Sports!
Old 01-26-2011, 09:08 PM   #632
Swaggs
Coordinator

WVU went more than 13 minutes in the 2nd half without a field goal @ Louisville tonight and watched an 11-point half time lead evaporate. Then they got a few free throws and a timely three to go up by one. Missed two free throws and then Louisville's guard made a ridiculous scoop shot with 4.5 seconds to win it by 1.

WVU is down to only 8 scholarship players able to dress.

We banked one scholarship when Devin Ebanks left early for the NBA, but Coach Huggins convinced a senior that had graduated but still working towards a masters at WVU to come back (he had redshirted his first year, so graduated in 4 but still had a year of eligibility after last season)

Of our freshmen class, one was academically inelgible, one was medically disqualified for a previously undiscovered heart problem, one enrolled but was reportedly addicted to prescription meds and left after one semester without playing, and one played well in limited duty but is now out for the season with a knee injury. Not a good way to follow up a Final Four season.

Another player left the bench in the second quarter on Sunday and quit the team. And our leading scorer has been suspended indefinitely (reportedly two weeks for failing a drug test).

If Coach Huggins can get this team into the NCAA tourney, he will have earned his money this season.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:41 PM   #633
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
WVU went more than 13 minutes in the 2nd half without a field goal @ Louisville tonight and watched an 11-point half time lead evaporate. Then they got a few free throws and a timely three to go up by one. Missed two free throws and then Louisville's guard made a ridiculous scoop shot with 4.5 seconds to win it by 1.

WVU is down to only 8 scholarship players able to dress.

We banked one scholarship when Devin Ebanks left early for the NBA, but Coach Huggins convinced a senior that had graduated but still working towards a masters at WVU to come back (he had redshirted his first year, so graduated in 4 but still had a year of eligibility after last season)

Of our freshmen class, one was academically inelgible, one was medically disqualified for a previously undiscovered heart problem, one enrolled but was reportedly addicted to prescription meds and left after one semester without playing, and one played well in limited duty but is now out for the season with a knee injury. Not a good way to follow up a Final Four season.

Another player left the bench in the second quarter on Sunday and quit the team. And our leading scorer has been suspended indefinitely (reportedly two weeks for failing a drug test).

If Coach Huggins can get this team into the NCAA tourney, he will have earned his money this season.

This season had promise for awhile and still does to an extent, but it could get really ugly down the stretch.

Never seen Huggins have so many guys that argue with him and just don't listen.

5 guys signed and I've been told 3 scholarships open now with Jennings getting dismissed. Another could open if Pepper decides to transfer (I've heard it's pretty much a guarantee but they were saying the same last year and he was talked out of it).
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 10:06 PM   #634
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
This season had promise for awhile and still does to an extent, but it could get really ugly down the stretch.

Never seen Huggins have so many guys that argue with him and just don't listen.

5 guys signed and I've been told 3 scholarships open now with Jennings getting dismissed. Another could open if Pepper decides to transfer (I've heard it's pretty much a guarantee but they were saying the same last year and he was talked out of it).

The odd thing is that four of the guys still playing were Beilein recruits (Thoroughman, Mazzulla, and West were all with the team already but have had to RS for one reason or another and Flowers was committed while Beilein was coach and stayed through the transition), so there are really only four active players that were signed by Huggins and he has had four recruiting classes come in.

In other news, John Beilein had his contract extended by Michigan through 2015-16. He is roughly .500 overall and 22-35 in the Big Ten since taking over ~3.5 years ago. Not much of an improvement over the Amaker years (Amaker finished 108-84/43-53).
Old 01-26-2011, 10:09 PM   #635
Comey
College Starter

I remember when Pepper was in high school...quite the polarizing figure.

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 10:54 PM   #636
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Another very impressive road win for Texas, beating Okie State in Stillwater 61-46. I was worried a bit about some complacency coming off of the big win against Kansas, but there was none.

We are coming for you!
Old 01-26-2011, 10:58 PM   #637
Logan
Head Coach

It's the Jimmer show. 41 points as BYU pulls away in the final minutes.
Old 01-27-2011, 02:30 AM   #638
whomario
Pro Starter

Have only seen highlights of the game, but 43 points (on great percentages) in the biggest game of the year and one that wasn´t particularly high scoring, that´s just huge.

Interesting stat i saw online : That was just his 2nd 30+ game at home while he has 13 of those on the road.
Old 01-27-2011, 02:34 AM   #639
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
Have only seen highlights of the game, but 43 points (on great percentages) in the biggest game of the year and one that wasn´t particularly high scoring, that´s just huge.

Interesting stat i saw online : That was just his 2nd 30+ game at home while he has 13 of those on the road.

That is a telling sign of what kind of player he is. When they need him to step up on the road he often times does. BYU usually just crushes teams at home as well so Im sure the scoring is more spread out.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 07:52 AM   #640
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Supposedly he isn't going to be eligible to play for the Mean Green until the Spring semester of 2012.

Link?

He's paying his own way at NT. My understanding is that he's eligible immediately under that scenario.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:05 AM   #641
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Link?

He's paying his own way at NT. My understanding is that he's eligible immediately under that scenario.

Missouri Tigers recruit Tony Mitchell ruled academically ineligible by NCAA - ESPN

FTA: A source confirmed to ESPNDallas.com that Mitchell is in the process of enrolling at North Texas as an academic non-qualifier and would not be eligible to play until at least the second semester of the 2011-12 school year.
Old 01-27-2011, 02:03 PM   #642
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
In other news, John Beilein had his contract extended by Michigan through 2015-16. He is roughly .500 overall and 22-35 in the Big Ten since taking over ~3.5 years ago. Not much of an improvement over the Amaker years (Amaker finished 108-84/43-53).

Amaker is doing well at his new job as well. Izzo still rules the state and Michigan still has the problem of not being able to beat MSU. Michigan needs players to run his system and even though they had a couple talented players there last year, one of them was a little too lone wolf for it to work. Michigan is frisky enough to give teams issues, but not solid enough to be deemed good. I think MSU@Michigan this year will be interesting. With MSU losing key players and Michigan being so young, I think Michigan gives them a run next year.
Old 01-27-2011, 06:50 PM   #643
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

33-27 Michigan over MSU at the half. Michigan is shooting 50% from 3.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:06 PM   #644
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

61-57 Michigan over MSU. So freaking glad the State fans get to shut up now.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:33 PM   #645
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Missouri Tigers recruit Tony Mitchell ruled academically ineligible by NCAA - ESPN

FTA: A source confirmed to ESPNDallas.com that Mitchell is in the process of enrolling at North Texas as an academic non-qualifier and would not be eligible to play until at least the second semester of the 2011-12 school year.

What a disaster for that kid. Obviously should have paid more attention to his grades.
Old 01-28-2011, 03:20 AM   #646
whomario
Pro Starter

In a battle of 2 of my favourite teams Saint Mary´s beats Gonzaga on the road, 73-71. Gonzaga now 13-8 with 3 straight conference losses (started the season bad, then had a very good stretch, now this).
Awesome game winning shot by senior guard Mickey McConnell (who is averaging 15 points, 6.5 assists and is shooting 52/47/89) who also had 10 of their last 11 and 27 points on 10-17 for the game.

The game winner : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ei-brKKBmVg
Old 01-28-2011, 05:20 AM   #647
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Zags in danger of missing the tourney this year. It looks like they won't win the conference and they won't get an at-large so it'll be conference tourney or bust.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 01-28-2011 at 05:20 AM.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:37 PM   #648
cartman
Death Herald

Pretty cool story from the Div. III ranks.

Big Coach In The Little Gym | ThePostGame
Old 01-28-2011, 08:24 PM   #649
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Big game tomorrow.. can't wait!!! MIZ!
Old 01-28-2011, 09:48 PM   #650
Kodos
Resident Alien

Indiana beating Illinois the other night was pretty sweet. The Illini fans on Scout are pretty much unbearable.