Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-09-2010, 08:54 AM   #151
Butter
Coordinator

Pleased to watch Xavier struggle with D-II Bellarmine, while Dayton comfortably won its 2 preseason exhibitions against 2 of the top 3 D-II schools in the country (Findlay and Grand Valley State).

Buzz is that Dayton's improved point guard play could be the difference with this year's team. But our frontcourt is looking to be much worse, so I expect a lot of 3 guard lineups this year out of the Flyers.

Hoping for another strong year out of the A-10. Encouraged by seeing generally unheralded Rhody hang with Pitt in the season opener last night.
Old 11-09-2010, 05:53 PM   #152
Groundhog
Coordinator

I'm not sure why it is, but I always seem to end up rooting for A-10 teams come tourney time.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:24 PM   #153
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Signing week starts tomorrow. Always interesting to see where people sign or if they put off their decision until the spring.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 11:02 PM   #154
RainMaker
General Manager

My Alma Mater Winona State hung in there with Minnesota the other night. We actually beat them a few years back when we won the D2 National Championship. Was excited to get to see them play on TV (Big Ten Network).
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 01:22 AM   #155
MrBug708
Head Coach

Well, UCLA went 2-0 in exhibition games. They didn't have to suffer through a game winner from a walkon this season. Team should hit 20 wins this year, barring injury
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 02:18 AM   #156
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Agreed, Bug. Still a long way to go to get this team back to where it should be but it already seems clear that losing Dragovic, Keefe, and Morgan from the rotation and replacing them with Stover, Smith, Jones, Lamb and even Carlino is an immense step forward in skill and athleticism.

Still to be seen what the impact will be of losing Roll, though.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 10:32 AM   #157
Izulde
Head Coach

UNLV went 2-0 in preseason and looked pretty good. Sharp shooting and better rebounding than I'd expected. A bit too turnover prone, although we also didn't have Tre'Von Willis playing.

Although they probably won't, I really think Karam Mashour should be redshirted. Give him a year to get used to the country, the language, and the American style of play. He's showed flashes in the two preseason games, but right now he looks completely lost on defense, and that's against D-2 teams.

I've been extremely impressed with Anthony Marshall and Chace Stanback's play. Derrick Jasper has been good shooting and reboundingwise, but he needs to cut down on the TOs if he wants to have a really great final season.

The one I'll be watching most to see how he progresses is Carlos Lopez. Redshirt freshman is our tallest player at 6'11 and as he gets more comfortable, he could be a valuable 4.

Not sure what to think of Quintrell Thomas, the Kansas transfer, yet. He hasn't impressed me very much, to be honest, but we'll see.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 08:03 PM   #158
RainMaker
General Manager

Maryland looked pretty horrible. Pe'Shon Howard looks to be legit though.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 10:15 PM   #159
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Tristan Thompson had another solid game and Dogus Balbay seems to have come all the way back from his knee injury from last season. Texas beat Louisiana Tech 89-58. Next week they have their first test of the season, playing a ranked Illinois team.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 12:15 PM   #160
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny93g View Post
I'm trying really hard not to get excited about Zeller until he pulls the trigger, but with all positive recruiting news, I'm not doing a good job. Perea should be a program changer. Can't wait to see him in cream and crimson.

Crossing my fingers for Zeller in 11, and Yogi Ferrell or Gary Harris wrapping up the '12 class. Exciting times!!

You can get excited now. Zeller just announced he will be going to Indiana. It's expected that Yogi will be on board soon too. Indiana is on the comeback trail, and this was a nice step toward closing the border for Indiana recruits.

Keep up the good work, Coach!

Last edited by Kodos : 11-11-2010 at 12:30 PM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 03:12 PM   #161
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
You can get excited now. Zeller just announced he will be going to Indiana. It's expected that Yogi will be on board soon too. Indiana is on the comeback trail, and this was a nice step toward closing the border for Indiana recruits.

Keep up the good work, Coach!

Amazing news, very happy to see Cody come on board. I'm sure I'm reading the same things as you about Yogi, as it seems like he is very close to commiting. The future is looking great.

Time to start getting some results on the court. Looking forward to tommorow's season opener.

Go Hoosiers!!
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 03:15 PM   #162
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Taking Ohio St at 30-1 and Washington at 60-1 to win the Nat'l championship.

I may be off here but Ohio St seems more loaded than last year despite the loss of Turner. 4 returning starters and a top 10 recruiting class.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 11-11-2010 at 03:16 PM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 03:21 PM   #163
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny93g View Post
Amazing news, very happy to see Cody come on board. I'm sure I'm reading the same things as you about Yogi, as it seems like he is very close to commiting. The future is looking great.

Time to start getting some results on the court. Looking forward to tommorow's season opener.

Go Hoosiers!!

Yep. I think the future is looking a lot brighter in light of recent recruiting, but this season, we will still have plenty of lumps to take. I hope Creek gets back to 100% by the time we hit conference play.
Old 11-11-2010, 05:38 PM   #164
MrBug708
Head Coach

Kanter is deemed ineligible for college, period. Kentucky is appealing.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 09:49 PM   #165
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Yep. I think the future is looking a lot brighter in light of recent recruiting, but this season, we will still have plenty of lumps to take. I hope Creek gets back to 100% by the time we hit conference play.

After watching both exhibition games, I think it will take that long for Creek look, I guess "right" is the word.

Against Franklin, he was off. He looked rusty, he played poorly, it was like it was his first game in 10 months(which it was). Against Ferris St. I saw some improvement, but not to where he was last season. Shot is still off, but I saw more quickness, more drive.

A little improvement each game is all I want to see from him.

How about Christian Watford though, loved the improvements he made. Kid can shoot now, and seems to want to score. Last year, his shot got altered and blocked by everybody, it will be a different story this season.
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 09:59 PM   #166
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post

Selby ruling shouldn't be far behind. Will be interesting to see how that pans out.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 08:33 PM   #167
Kodos
Resident Alien

Lotsa chatter about a possible Yogi Ferrell commitment this weekend. If true, awesome. We badly need a true point guard.
Old 11-13-2010, 01:45 AM   #168
Izulde
Head Coach

Caught the end of the UNLV womens season opener and we beat Southern Utah by like 30 points.

Then the mens' opener and it was a very, very fun game, probably the most fun I've had at a regular season basketball game. Chace Stanback was a hell of a lot of fun to watch. Hit 7/12 shots, and although he was only 1/4 from 3 point range, it felt like he could hit every shot he attempted, kind of like Rotnei Clarke for the Hogs. Scored a game-high 17 points.

Anthony Marshall was very good starting in place of still-suspended Tre'Von Willis, with 16 points, 7 assists, and 2 steals to just 2 turnovers. Oscar Bellfield shot very well, 6/11, 3/5 from 3 point range for 15 points, 5 assists and no turnovers.

The thing to watch was rebounding, the Achilles heel of this Rebels team, IMO. We actually won the rebounding battle 45-34, which I don't think will happen against many teams. Derrick Jasper was an absolute delight to watch on the glass. 13 rebounds and a couple of monster blocks as the third guard. Carlos Lopez still looks very raw, but he was a swat machine, blocking 4 shots and getting 6 rebounds in 20 minutes. He also showed good passing skills with 4 assists, including an absolutely beautiful rainbow pass all the way down the court to Marshall, who put it up for the easy score. He's definitely one to watch for the future.

Kansas transfer Quintrell "Q" Thomas had some decent per-minute stats, hitting 4/5 for 8 points and 5 rebounds in 19 minutes.

With 6:22 left to go, my friends asked me what I thought the final score would be. I said 85-40 and it ended up 85-41.

So yeah, against inferior opposition, but still very thrilling to see and a huge relief after the nightmare that this football season has been. Even more impressive, we did it without Willis, who should be back next week.

I unfortunately have a mandatory event to attend next Wednesday night when we play Southeastern Louisiana, which should be another cakewalk. But I'm clearing next Saturday to go to the Wisconsin game, which should be an awesome game and our first real test of the season.

Karam Mashour didn't play, which leads me to believe he'll redshirt. I hope that's the case anyway, because I think that's the smartest move.

I'm stoked about this year. So.damn.stoked!

Last edited by Izulde : 11-13-2010 at 01:46 AM.
Old 11-13-2010, 03:13 PM   #169
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Horrible opening night for the A-10. The Fordham (Brown) and St. Bonaventure (Canisius) losses weren't a surprise, but seeing St. Louis (Austin Peay) Charlotte (Gardner Webb) and St. Joseph's (Western Kentucky - by 28) all go down to inferior conferences was bad. Xavier struggled but held on to beat Western Michigan by 3 and UMass dug itself a 45-24 halftime hole to Rider but came back to win by 10 behind the shooting of WF transfer Anthony Gurley (31) and sophomore Freddie Riley (28).
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 01:13 PM   #170
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post

this will definitely put a stop to the trend of really good Euro prospects going to Colleges, you can congratulate the NCAA for shooting itself in the foot big time.

I just don´t get it. It´s not like he earned a million and came straight over, he played HS ball last season for christs sake ... The kicker also is that the guy by all accounts has been very engaged and doing well academically while he could have just call it quits after the first signs it might go wrong, go back to Europe earning big money and then get drafted anyway.

Now with the NCAA taking it´s sweet time the season in Europe is well underway and most team´s budgets are spent in Europe and he´s screwed, well done ...

Obviously he would still get a contract with a decent team, but the situation wouldn´t ideal jumping in as a young player without going through preseason with a team/coach.

Last edited by whomario : 11-14-2010 at 01:24 PM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 01:43 PM   #171
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
this will definitely put a stop to the trend of really good Euro prospects going to Colleges, you can congratulate the NCAA for shooting itself in the foot big time.

I just don´t get it. It´s not like he earned a million and came straight over, he played HS ball last season for christs sake ... The kicker also is that the guy by all accounts has been very engaged and doing well academically while he could have just call it quits after the first signs it might go wrong, go back to Europe earning big money and then get drafted anyway.

Now with the NCAA taking it´s sweet time the season in Europe is well underway and most team´s budgets are spent in Europe and he´s screwed, well done ...

Obviously he would still get a contract with a decent team, but the situation wouldn´t ideal jumping in as a young player without going through preseason with a team/coach.

Does the NCAA actually need Euro prospects going to college in the USA? It sucks for Kentucky obviously, but I don't see the NCAA in general being hurt by this ruling even if it keeps Euro prospects from going to college. It's not as if there is a lack of young basketball talent in the United States. Kanter isn't the first Euro player to be found ineligible and he won't be the last.
the_meanstrosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 01:51 PM   #172
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_meanstrosity View Post
It sucks for Kentucky obviously, but I don't see the NCAA in general being hurt by this ruling even if it keeps Euro prospects from going to college.

+1
Old 11-14-2010, 02:29 PM   #173
whomario
Pro Starter

back in my mind i am aware of this, i´m just pissed.
Old 11-14-2010, 04:00 PM   #174
ntndeacon
Pro Starter

I am afraid that my Deacs are in for a LONG long year. We lost Friday to the mighty Hatters of Stetson. Lets hope the many Freshmen get some good experience and start to come on in the second half.
ntndeacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 06:02 PM   #175
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
back in my mind i am aware of this, i´m just pissed.

I would be upset as well if it happened to my team. Calipari knew he was gambling with Kanter being eligible, but given the success John has in recruiting I highly doubt this hurts Kentucky for very long. Kanter would have been a heck of a player in Kentucky's front court this year though.
Old 11-14-2010, 06:54 PM   #176
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Wisconsin is going to be better than everyone thinks, yet again.. Leuer, Taylor are obviously the two best offensive threats and then we've got Nankivil, Berggran, Gasser, Wilson, Bruisewitz some of whom could be a top scorer on some nights. This team is special. With Leuer being a legitimate BTPOY with some potential of being NPOY the Badgers should make noise as a top three seed come tourney time. The loss of Bohannon will be minimal and the loss of Trevon Hughes is yet to be determined.. I'm thinking it will also be minimal with the addition of Gasser (as of today's performance at least...).

Last edited by mauchow : 11-14-2010 at 07:00 PM.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 07:05 PM   #177
Izulde
Head Coach

The Wisconsin/UNLV game Saturday will be the first true test for both teams, IMO.

Old 11-14-2010, 07:09 PM   #178
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
The Wisconsin/UNLV game Saturday will be the first true test for both teams, IMO.

Going out on a limb I see.

WISC: UW-Lacrosse, Minnesota State-Mankato, Prairie View A&M, North Dakota
UNLV: Cal-Davis, SE Louisiana
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 07:09 PM   #179
Izulde
Head Coach

And in other Runnin' Rebel news, Karam Mashour refused to redshirt, which is a mistake, IMO, but we'll see how it pans out.

Tre'Von Willis will sit out against Southeast Louisiana Wednesday night and be allowed to come back for the game against Wisconsin Saturday afternoon.

Old 11-14-2010, 07:12 PM   #180
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar v2 View Post
Going out on a limb I see.

WISC: UW-Lacrosse, Minnesota State-Mankato, Prairie View A&M, North Dakota
UNLV: Cal-Davis, SE Louisiana

UC-Riverside, not UC-Davis.

Prairie View A&M and North Dakota you mean for Wisconsin. UW-L and Mankato were preseason games.

Old 11-14-2010, 07:22 PM   #181
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Being at UNLV will definitely make this a good game. Hopefully we can get some revenge for the tournament loss a few years back.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 07:22 PM   #182
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
UC-Riverside, not UC-Davis.

Prairie View A&M and North Dakota you mean for Wisconsin. UW-L and Mankato were preseason games.

I musta missed something. I have no idea why you guys are naming these schools.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 11-14-2010, 07:27 PM   #183
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
I musta missed something. I have no idea why you guys are naming these schools.

Is it really that hard to decipher? Izulde says in his opinion that Wisconsin and UNLV will be getting their first true tests when they play each on on Saturday. I'm just pointing out, "no fucking shit".
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 07:42 PM   #184
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Is it really that hard to decipher? Izulde says in his opinion that Wisconsin and UNLV will be getting their first true tests when they play each on on Saturday. I'm just pointing out, "no fucking shit".

And you came off as an asshat in doing so, (I couldn't remember Wisconsin's first two games off the top of my head, so was hedging, just to be safe), so then I took great pleasure in correcting the flaws in your post.

Old 11-15-2010, 02:06 AM   #185
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Yup, I guess. Thanks for correcting my moronishness, dipshit.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 11-15-2010 at 07:21 AM.
Old 11-15-2010, 04:44 AM   #186
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
I would be upset as well if it happened to my team. Calipari knew he was gambling with Kanter being eligible, but given the success John has in recruiting I highly doubt this hurts Kentucky for very long. Kanter would have been a heck of a player in Kentucky's front court this year though.

i´m not a kentucky fan by any stretch btw

The really absurd part of all this is (have only now been able to read up on the subject) the following :

Quote:
The NCAA revealed in its declaration of Kanter’s ineligibility that the amount in question is $33,033. According to a source close to the process, about $20,000 of that money was used by the Kanter family to pay for Kanter’ educational expenses—such as schooling and tutors—with the remainder still sitting in an account unused. The NCAA told the family that Fenerbahce would have needed to pay for those expenses directly for them to be permissible.

Quote:
The NCAA told the family that Fenerbahce would have needed to pay for those expenses directly for them to be permissible.

btw, funny thing :

Quote:
According to the NCAA, actual and necessary expenses are those relating to practice and competition, such as meals, lodging, transportation and medical care.

So the NCAA does not include schooling and tutors in their nescessary expenses, go figure ...

Enes Kanter declared ineligible - NCAA Basketball - Sporting News

If that is true, can you honestly tell me that this decicion is the right one ? Just because they paid with Fenerbace money rather than have them pay for it, that is the difference between being a professional or being an amateur ?

Last edited by whomario : 11-15-2010 at 04:46 AM.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:31 AM   #187
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
i´m not a kentucky fan by any stretch btw

The really absurd part of all this is (have only now been able to read up on the subject) the following :

[/color][/left]

btw, funny thing :

So the NCAA does not include schooling and tutors in their nescessary expenses, go figure ...

Enes Kanter declared ineligible - NCAA Basketball - Sporting News

If that is true, can you honestly tell me that this decicion is the right one ? Just because they paid with Fenerbace money rather than have them pay for it, that is the difference between being a professional or being an amateur ?

Well, first off, recall, this is the NCAA. Rights & wrongs ain't got nuttin' to do wid it, ya know?

I believe the key difference there is along the same lines as a private school or a prep school here in the US. HS kids can receive scholarships for HS school fees and what not, because the schools they attend are too expensive for many families to attend (so the schools are allowed to pay for some scholarships for some students, just like a college).

If Fenerbahce pays for it directly, it's like a prep school scholarship, but paying it to the player/family becomes "pay", essentially, which essentially strips Kanter of his amateur status.

I don't know if that's the interpretation that is being aimed for, but that's my guess as it. And not saying it's right, just trying to put within the usual absurd frame of reference of the NCAA perspective.

Old 11-15-2010, 11:18 AM   #188
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Well, first off, recall, this is the NCAA. Rights & wrongs ain't got nuttin' to do wid it, ya know?

I believe the key difference there is along the same lines as a private school or a prep school here in the US. HS kids can receive scholarships for HS school fees and what not, because the schools they attend are too expensive for many families to attend (so the schools are allowed to pay for some scholarships for some students, just like a college).

If Fenerbahce pays for it directly, it's like a prep school scholarship, but paying it to the player/family becomes "pay", essentially, which essentially strips Kanter of his amateur status.

I don't know if that's the interpretation that is being aimed for, but that's my guess as it. And not saying it's right, just trying to put within the usual absurd frame of reference of the NCAA perspective.

I think Chief is reading and summarizing it correctly. My guess is the NCAA is basically looking for a reason to say no to Kanter and this reason fits the bill. If this were an American high school basketball player I think they would be a little more lenient and honestly I'm ok with that.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:25 AM   #189
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
I think Chief is reading and summarizing it correctly. My guess is the NCAA is basically looking for a reason to say no to Kanter and this reason fits the bill. If this were an American high school basketball player I think they would be a little more lenient and honestly I'm ok with that.

The NCAA is taking the heat here, but keep in mind it was the university presidents that wanted this rule, wrote it, and pushed hard to get it through. The NCAA is just enforcing what they wanted.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 09:44 PM   #190
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Georgia Tech gets blown out by Kennesaw State, 80-63. Trailed by as many as 20 in the 1st half, got within 5 & then the Owls finished them off. So much for padding the ol' RPI with a "road" game (it's about 15 miles up the interstate).

Gonna be a long year as long as Paul Useless is still on the bench.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:09 PM   #191
Recoil
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Georgia Tech gets blown out by Kennesaw State, 80-63. Trailed by as many as 20 in the 1st half, got within 5 & then the Owls finished them off. So much for padding the ol' RPI with a "road" game (it's about 15 miles up the interstate).

Gonna be a long year as long as Paul Useless is still on the bench.

Recoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 10:12 PM   #192
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recoil View Post

We have Dave Brainless to thank for this Godawful mess.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:21 PM   #193
Recoil
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
We have Dave Brainless to thank for this Godawful mess.

I haven't done the math, but the rollover contract should have the buyout at atleast 5mil+. You know of any definite numbers?
Old 11-15-2010, 10:21 PM   #194
digamma
Torchbearer

Going to be a very long season. Radakovich should have used some of the arena renovation money for a coach renovation. Had an opportunity to at least hire a new assistant staff this offseason...but...
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 10:24 PM   #195
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
I haven't done the math, but the rollover contract should have the buyout at atleast 5mil+. You know of any definite numbers?

I think it is in the $7 million neighborhood.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:25 PM   #196
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

The number I've seen floating around was about $7m, but I can't vouch for the accuracy of it.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:30 PM   #197
Recoil
High School Varsity

Well, that's worse than I thought. GT will be lucky to get in double digits in the W column. Ugh.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:31 PM   #198
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Well, that's worse than I thought. GT will be lucky to get in double digits in the W column. Ugh.

At the rate they're going, there may be nights where they're lucky to get in double digits in the scoring column.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:35 PM   #199
digamma
Torchbearer

but certainly not the turnover column.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:25 PM   #200
Celeval
Pro Starter

Is it possible the win at home against Charleston Southern will be considered an upset?

Hell, I'm just glad we pulled out that exhibition win against Clark Atlanta. In overtime.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote