Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-31-2008, 09:57 PM   #51
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I'll give you that he hasn't always played well in big games, but that's different from saying he's never dominated a game. There isn't much more a receiver can do than a couple TDs and over 200 yds.

I agree thre isn't much more they can do, but whatever those things are, he apparently wasn't doing them because the Bengals lost both those games.

RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 10:12 PM   #52
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

This might have become more trouble than it was worth for Ocho Cinco.

It'll cost mucho dinero for Chad Ocho Cinco to switch jerseys
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 10:17 PM   #53
MikeVic
Head Coach

What the hell. What about when players get traded. Those jerseys become useless too.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 11:42 PM   #54
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
This might have become more trouble than it was worth for Ocho Cinco.

It'll cost mucho dinero for Chad Ocho Cinco to switch jerseys

This is my favorite line of that story.

Quote:
the NFL is so blatant in their attempts to block Johnson from donning his new name on the back of his Bengals jersey that it almost seems beneath them. Sure, it's inane and self-serving and could set a bad precedent, but shouldn't the league be focusing on more important issues, like stopping players from celebrating touchdowns?
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 08:05 AM   #55
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Can they ship all of the jerseys to some third world country with all those PATRIOTS 19-0 t-shirts they got rid of in February?
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 08:11 AM   #56
cougarfreak
College Starter

If I'm Johnson, I approach Nike, and ask them to make my college jersey, but make it in Orange and black, and put Ocho Cinco on the back.
cougarfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 08:37 AM   #57
Dutch
"Dutch"

I really don't see how this is different than Brett Favre. Did Brett Favre have to pay EA Sports for all the Madden Covers that were screwed up when he came out of retirement to play with the Jets?
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 08:47 AM   #58
SFL Cat
College Starter

Be interesting to see how this plays out. I've heard there are over $800K worth of unsold jersies with his old name.

Last edited by SFL Cat : 09-11-2008 at 08:47 AM.
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 08:52 AM   #59
chesapeake
College Starter

This is all a big marketing ploy to sell more jerseys. Nobody moves the product quite like C. Ocho Cinco.
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 10:18 AM   #60
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
I really don't see how this is different than Brett Favre.

That's because it's not. The NFL doesn't want this to happen, so they are inventing bullshit to not make it happen. Traded players, guys who change their names for religious/family reasons (not asshole reasons), or change their numbers (Hello, Kobe, and your new #1 selling jersey) don't ever deal with this.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 10:21 AM   #61
gstelmack
Pro Starter

I think the difference here is that he went and did it on a whim right before the season without really warning anybody, which left folks with a bunch of unsold merchandise. In most other cases, folks know about it upfront and it can be dealt with, or it's not the player's fault (like trades). If he had worked with the NFL and shirt-makers upfront, this would be a non-issue.
Old 09-11-2008, 10:24 AM   #62
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
I think the difference here is that he went and did it on a whim right before the season without really warning anybody, which left folks with a bunch of unsold merchandise. In most other cases, folks know about it upfront and it can be dealt with, or it's not the player's fault (like trades). If he had worked with the NFL and shirt-makers upfront, this would be a non-issue.

Why the hell should he have to keep the league in the know about what he's doing with his legal name?
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 10:26 AM   #63
MikeVic
Head Coach

What if he changed religions to something that made him change his name the day before the season started. Would they prevent him from changing his name on the jersey?
Old 09-11-2008, 10:27 AM   #64
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

So let me get this straight...

1. Chad Johnson wants to wear "Ocho Cinco" on his jersey.
2. The NFL says no because a player must wear his legal name on his jersey.
3. Chad Johnson changes his name to Chad Ocho Cinco.
4. The NFL says that Chad Ocho Cinco must wear "Johnson" on his jersey.

According to the NFL, in event #2, a player must wear his own legal name. In event #4, the NFL forces a player to wear a name that isn't his own legal name. Could they possibly get any more hypocritical? Regardless of his reasons, a guy changes his name to meet their strict rule, and then they make an exception to that strict rule. Can the NFL explain how he is even allowed to wear "Johnson" on his back? Even if he owes Reebok the money, the NFL said that a player has to wear his legal name. The on-field jersey issue and the Reebok issue should be two completely different things.

Bad NFL. Bad bad NFL.
Old 09-11-2008, 10:29 AM   #65
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:

It's not like it's a free country or anything.
Old 09-11-2008, 10:29 AM   #66
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000 View Post
Why the hell should he have to keep the league in the know about what he's doing with his legal name?

Because he's partly in the business of selling his jerseys (players get a cut, do they not?) and he's an employee of the league. If you're going to make a change that affects those sales, you tell them long enough before the season, or you let them sell out their stock before they make the jersey change. Or you buy out the stock that you just messed up for them. This is courtesy on both sides. You don't make the change, thereby obsoleting the existing merchandise, then demand your jersey change.

Or you do it early enough that everyone knows it's coming, and they don't make all those jerseys in the first place. Change your name in May and immediately request the jersey change, we're not having this conversation.

That said, I liked the point made in the comments that $4 million / 100,000 jerseys = $40/apiece, which just goes to show how much a ripoff those jerseys are, and that yes they'll make back their money fairly quickly on all those Ocho Cinco jerseys.

But if he'd just cooperated and worked with the NFL, he could have avoided this.

(Note that the article mentions that Keith Rivers had to do the exact same thing because he wanted his number changed, but he just has fewer jerseys out there)
Old 09-11-2008, 10:33 AM   #67
larrymcg421
Head Coach

How can people say they're inventing a reason to stop him from wearing the jersey when they've already enforced the same exact reasoning against another player? Keith Rivers had to do the same thing when he switched his number.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 10:37 AM   #68
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarfreak View Post
It's not like it's a free country or anything.

He's got a job and contracts. You can't do anything you want at your job without consequences, can you? And he makes a boatload of money off those contracts.
Old 09-11-2008, 11:07 AM   #69
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
How can people say they're inventing a reason to stop him from wearing the jersey when they've already enforced the same exact reasoning against another player? Keith Rivers had to do the same thing when he switched his number.

I think there's a big difference between switching jersey numbers and wanting your legal name on the back of your jersey. The NFL specifically told him that he had to have his legal name on the back of his jersey. Now they're telling him to put a name on the back of his jersey that isn't his legal name either a.) so their bottom line doesn't take a hit b.) because they're simply tired of his shit and they're going to stick it to him in any way they can or c.) a combination of the two.

What it comes down to is he informed the league well in advance that he'd like to wear a different name on the back of his jersey. The NFL told him what it would take for that to happen. He went and did it when the NFL probably thought there was no chance for him to do it and now they're going against what they previously told him.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 11:20 AM   #70
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:
He's got a job and contracts. You can't do anything you want at your job without consequences, can you? And he makes a boatload of money off those contracts.

I was going to change my board name on here a while back, but my employer said I couldn't, so I didn't. I guess Chad and I are in the same boat. I think it's hilarious the NFL can keep the legal name of a player off of a jersey, but on the other hand, make other players put legal names on their jersey. It's absurd. I wonder what would happen if a player was gay, and came back from a weekend in Vegas, and had gotten married, and changed his legal name?
Old 09-11-2008, 11:32 AM   #71
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarfreak View Post
I wonder what would happen if a player was gay, and came back from a weekend in Vegas, and had gotten married, and changed his legal name?
Or lets take it a step that has happened in the past, how about if a player legally changes his name because of his religion. I don't see how this would stand up in court.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 11:36 AM   #72
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
Or lets take it a step that has happened in the past, how about if a player legally changes his name because of his religion. I don't see how this would stand up in court.

Hell no it wouldn't, because it's ridiculous. Would the Bengals have been forced to pick up the tab if they'd have traded Johnson? That was a distinct possibility in the offseason, and Reebok kept cranking out jerseys.
Old 09-11-2008, 11:37 AM   #73
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
I think there's a big difference between switching jersey numbers and wanting your legal name on the back of your jersey. The NFL specifically told him that he had to have his legal name on the back of his jersey. Now they're telling him to put a name on the back of his jersey that isn't his legal name either a.) so their bottom line doesn't take a hit b.) because they're simply tired of his shit and they're going to stick it to him in any way they can or c.) a combination of the two.

What it comes down to is he informed the league well in advance that he'd like to wear a different name on the back of his jersey. The NFL told him what it would take for that to happen. He went and did it when the NFL probably thought there was no chance for him to do it and now they're going against what they previously told him.

Okay, but that's a little different than "making up a new rule". It sounds like they're being assholes about how they're applying existing rules.

Now, what I'd like to know is how many jerseys had been printed when he made his initial request to the NFL. I could see them making him buy those jerseys, but not any that were made since.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 11:42 AM   #74
DanGarion
Coordinator

TO me it seems like the company making the jerseys should have to eat the cost, since it was the risk they take to making the jerseys. Come on companies take risks all the time. Johnson could have died or got injured and sucked the rest of his life, they wouldn't be charging him them.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 11:45 AM   #75
Anthony
Banned

why should he buy the jerseys back? he doesn't have a contract with Reebok to make his jerseys. would he have to buy the jerseys back if he got the trade he demanded? what if he gets traded to a team this season? for that matter - what if a player retires unexpectedly (like what Vince Young wanted to do last season). they owe nothing to Reebok. why are they even in this equation? would Favre had to have bought all those Jets Favre jerseys that were prematurely made the night his trade to the Jets broke if he decided he didn't feel like playing afterall? no, he wouldn't. he didn't have a contract with Reebok and he didn't tell anyone to start making Jets jerseys with his name on them.

if i were Chad, i would just take this all the way - sit out, demand to be traded, and then when the new jerseys are printed up they'll have his legal name on them.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 12:31 PM   #76
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

It isn't just jerseys. Look at the official NFL box scores and he's still Chad Johnson. The NFL is just refusing to accept the name change in any form.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:59 PM   #77
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
It isn't just jerseys. Look at the official NFL box scores and he's still Chad Johnson. The NFL is just refusing to accept the name change in any form.

Now that's pretty bad.
Old 09-11-2008, 01:22 PM   #78
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I guess the NFL can just call the players whatever they want to. If Tatum Bell hooks up with another team, I think the NFL ought to make the boxscores say "THIEF" instead of "BELL".
Old 09-11-2008, 01:32 PM   #79
Kodos
Resident Alien

This whole thing is beyond retarded. I applaud the NFL for not letting him get away with his tomfoolery.
Old 09-11-2008, 01:59 PM   #80
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
I guess the NFL can just call the players whatever they want to. If Tatum Bell hooks up with another team, I think the NFL ought to make the boxscores say "THIEF" instead of "BELL".

What about Thief Bell?
Old 09-11-2008, 01:59 PM   #81
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
This whole thing is beyond retarded. I applaud the NFL for not letting him get away with his tomfoolery.

He's followed the rules that they laid out, and now they still want to prevent it. Those are shenanigans on the NFL's part.
Old 09-11-2008, 02:02 PM   #82
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
He's followed the rules that they laid out, and now they still want to prevent it. Those are shenanigans on the NFL's part.

Took him too long to get his name changed. They'll have a hard time justifying it for next season, though. Or if he gets a Pro Bowl jersey.

Maybe the Bengals should unveil a new alternate uniform. Again, no excuse not to have his legal name on that.
Old 09-11-2008, 02:11 PM   #83
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

He may be making the NFL look silly by giving them a choice of two things they don't want to do, but he is still a jackass for creating this situation. He is fully within his rights to do it, but I think he is a jackass nonetheless.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 02:19 PM   #84
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Chad Johnson is getting exactly what he wanted out of this, more attention.

he probably couldn't be happier about the NFL's resistance. It drags this out even longer keeping him in the spotlight.

The best thing the NFL could do is let him change the name on his jersey so we can all call him an idiot and forget about it in a few days.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 02:21 PM   #85
Kodos
Resident Alien

He is a total jackass. He wanted to put something stupid on his jersey. The NFL didn't want him to. He went to stupid lengths to get his way, rather than just accepting it like others. Pretty much any job comes with conditions for staying employed. One in the NFL is that you don't put stupid names on your jersey. I fully support the NFL's stance. Screw attention-whore Johnson.
Old 09-11-2008, 05:52 PM   #86
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:

With the way he plays when he's more concerned with his other shit (dancing, jerseys, whatever)...maybe his name won't need to appear in the box score very often.
Old 09-11-2008, 05:58 PM   #87
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Pretty much any job comes with conditions for staying employed. One in the NFL is that you don't put stupid names on your jersey.

Except that's not the NFL's conditions. I don't like the fact that he changed his name to get his way, but under the NFL's guidelines he has every right to put his new name on his jersey. The fact that they're not allowing him to and they refuse to put his new name in box scores is stooping down to his levels.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 06:04 PM   #88
RendeR
Coordinator

I don't much give a fuck what name is on the jersey, he needs to perform this weekend or the only name I need to see is "no-show ocho-cinco"
Old 09-11-2008, 06:06 PM   #89
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
if i were Chad, i would just take this all the way - sit out, demand to be traded.

He already tried that, earlier this year, before he changed his name. It didn't work out really well.
Old 09-11-2008, 06:14 PM   #90
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

He's an asshole.

I am glad the NFL is telling him to screw off. Iwould also love to see him traded, to a team with an already established 85 who also tells him to screw off forcing him to be another number. Of course then the NFL should allow him to wear his new idiotic name basically telling him again to screw off.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 06:17 PM   #91
RendeR
Coordinator

Thats just it though EF, he's not an asshole, he's a child and a pretty stupid one sometimes for not realizing how moronic he makes himself look, but he's genuinely passionate about winning at football.

If he were an asshole I'd be even more vocal about all this.
Old 09-11-2008, 06:24 PM   #92
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
Thats just it though EF, he's not an asshole, he's a child and a pretty stupid one sometimes for not realizing how moronic he makes himself look, but he's genuinely passionate about getting attention at football games.

Fixed

When things were going well for the Bengals, he was all over the place. Since they won the division in 2005, then lost to Pittsburgh in the playoffs, he's pouted, demanded a trade, and continued to put more effort into stupid shit off the field-- dancing, HOF jackets, name changes -- than he does towards bettering his game, and his team. If anything, let TJ Houshmanzadeh change his name to Ocho Quattro, he'd been a better WR since 2005.
Old 09-11-2008, 06:30 PM   #93
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
Fixed

When things were going well for the Bengals, he was all over the place. Since they won the division in 2005, then lost to Pittsburgh in the playoffs, he's pouted, demanded a trade, and continued to put more effort into stupid shit off the field-- dancing, HOF jackets, name changes -- than he does towards bettering his game, and his team. If anything, let TJ Houshmanzadeh change his name to Ocho Quattro, he'd been a better WR since 2005.

You make valid points, but it still doesn't make him an asshole

just a self centered infantile egomaniac.
Old 09-11-2008, 06:32 PM   #94
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
You make valid points, but it still doesn't make him an asshole

just a self centered infantile egomaniac.

But it also doesn't make him passionate about winning football games either.
Old 09-11-2008, 07:10 PM   #95
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Maybe the NFL ought to just come out and say that they don't want to put "Ochocinco" on his jersey because they think he's being childish. At least that's somewhat defensible. The shit they're doing doesn't make any sense, though, at least not to me.
Old 09-11-2008, 07:20 PM   #96
TCY Junkie
College Prospect

I think the NFL should screw around with his stats. Take them down to zero, then restore them, and then make them harder to find.

TCY Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 07:23 PM   #97
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Thats just it though EF, he's not an asshole, he's a child and a pretty stupid one sometimes for not realizing how moronic he makes himself look, but he's genuinely passionate about winning at football.

If he were an asshole I'd be even more vocal about all this.

I couldn't disagree more.

Every second he spends on this nonsense is time he could be spending on football. Watching film, gameplanning, talking with other receivers or Palmer. It distracts him from his job.

Also every question Marvin or his teammates have to answer about him not only takes time from their preperation, but it sucks the life out of them.

You can tell, they used to think his act was funny, but now they are all tired of it.
Old 09-11-2008, 07:39 PM   #98
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I couldn't disagree more.

Every second he spends on this nonsense is time he could be spending on football. Watching film, gameplanning, talking with other receivers or Palmer. It distracts him from his job.

Also every question Marvin or his teammates have to answer about him not only takes time from their preperation, but it sucks the life out of them.

You can tell, they used to think his act was funny, but now they are all tired of it.
I'll give you the point about how it's distracting his coach and teammates, because they shouldn't have to answer for his actions.

As far as the amount of time he spends on this, though: There are players out there who spend hours a week playing video games in the locker room. On off days, some players like to go out to a bar or a club and have a good time. As far as how it affects him on the football field, it wouldn't matter if he spends three hours a week talking about himself or three hours playing a pinball machine. Every player has time away from football, even during the season. This guy just happens to spend it by being an attention whore.
Old 09-11-2008, 07:53 PM   #99
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
This guy just happens to spend it by being an attention whore.

which in turn creates huge distractions for his team.

Maybe instead of finding ways to annoy everyone he should be finding ways to make them a more coheisive unit
Old 09-11-2008, 08:06 PM   #100
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
which in turn creates huge distractions for his team.

Maybe instead of finding ways to annoy everyone he should be finding ways to make them a more coheisive unit

Like HOF jackets for the entire WR group