Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-13-2013, 08:17 PM   #1
General Mike
Pro Starter

Survivor: Caramoan (spoilers inside, don't read until you watch)

Anybody else watching?
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF

General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:42 PM   #3
korme
Go Reds

I'm in a Survivor fantasy pool... my players are Cochran and Reynold.

And... after one episode I already feel more confident about Cochran - not good.

Last edited by korme : 02-14-2013 at 02:09 AM.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:29 PM   #4
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Crud, that result sucked. Phillip is already annoying.

Damn straight. For so called "favorites" I don't remember many of these people. Nobody on the Fans side jumps out as someone I want to support either tho.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
Old 02-14-2013, 12:25 AM   #5
LloydLungs
College Prospect

Poor Francesqua, for someone voted out first twice, she's hardly inept. She's smart -- she just plays a LITTLE too hard, too fast. Just a tiny mistake is enough to clip you early in Survivor.

My Hantz fatigue is already kicking into gear. There's obviously some television magic I'm missing.
LloydLungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:56 AM   #6
Suicane75
Coordinator

I'm almost ready to tap out on this season. None of the fans seem all that interesting so far, and the group of 4 are already on my annoy list. As for the favorites, I really don't need to watch these people be these people for another 4 months.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:52 AM   #7
Thomkal
Head Coach

:::sighs::: at Francesqua. She should have set back and played passively for the first few days-not suggest to vote out Phillip or anybody, just go along with whomever was suggested. Just not in her nature to play that way I guess. Favs missed a great opportunity to take out a strong player though.

Brandon never should have been invited back after the fiasco he created last time. He's clearly unstable and from the previews, he's going to go off again next week. I would never be in alliance with him or Phillip-and they should have been the first two out really.

Over on the Fans side, the two that starting making out in the shelter are clearly not Fans of the game or they would know that becoming a couple makes them an instant target. Not liking the whole "kids at the cool table" attitude with those four-maybe they will wise up when their girlfriends get voted out.

The Marine really annoyed me-from the "break their wrist" comment to how unhelpful he was in camp because he was worried about dehydration. A Marine who has fought and lived in all sorts of awful conditions should be able to handle himself better than that. It was a horrible first impression too.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:50 AM   #8
heybrad
Norm!!!

How can you be voted out on the very first episode and be considered a fan favorite? Just because a nut job can't pronounce your name? I don't think 'fan favorite' means what they think it means.
heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:27 PM   #9
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I always watch, but having a little more fun this year because we are having a friend over every week. She has never watched the show but knows Reynold pretty well. He and her sister dated in highschool, they stay in touch, she is Facebook friends with him, etc...

Thomkal nailed it. Reynold isn't a fan at all. A casting agent saw him running on the beach and they apparently recruited him pretty hardcore for it. According to my friend he never even watched the show
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:17 PM   #10
saldana
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I always watch, but having a little more fun this year because we are having a friend over every week. She has never watched the show but knows Reynold pretty well. He and her sister dated in highschool, they stay in touch, she is Facebook friends with him, etc...

Thomkal nailed it. Reynold isn't a fan at all. A casting agent saw him running on the beach and they apparently recruited him pretty hardcore for it. According to my friend he never even watched the show

i was wondering which one of them she knew and kept forgetting to ask her on FB. at least now i have someone to actually pay attention to, since none of the others on either side were really doing much for me.
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:45 PM   #11
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:

Heh that's pretty funny-I wonder how many others were "recruited" rather than true fans of the show?
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:21 AM   #12
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The Probst/Klosterman interview available via the Grantland podcast is pretty amazing stuff. He talked of 2 "low IQ" people who screwed up last season. I assume he meant Zane and Cookies but any thoughts?
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:37 AM   #13
General Mike
Pro Starter

I miss Cookies.

Also, I hate everyone on this show. BOOM
Old 02-21-2013, 11:07 AM   #14
korme
Go Reds

The sad thing about someone is Shamar is that his awful antics are the recipe for getting cast on a 2nd season
Old 02-21-2013, 11:44 AM   #15
larrymcg421
Head Coach

People like Shamar and Phillip who alienate others but are good in challenges are the perfect people to keep around pre-merge, because their antics make them no threat post-merge. So I understand the strategy people like Cochran, Dawn, Matt, and others have made in picking their alliances even if I'd love to see both Phillip and Shamar gone.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:07 PM   #16
Kodos
Resident Alien

It's a shame that being a jerk is a recipe for success on these shows. But at least we don't have to put up with Colton.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:18 PM   #17
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
It's a shame that being a jerk is a recipe for success on these shows. But at least we don't have to put up with Colton.

It's a flawed recipe, because it might get you far, but will prevent you from winning in the end. Russell is a great example of someone who was great at getting to the end, but not winning over the jury.

Old 02-21-2013, 12:23 PM   #18
Kodos
Resident Alien

I imagine Russell is pretty embarrassed by his nephew.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:40 PM   #19
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
It's a flawed recipe, because it might get you far, but will prevent you from winning in the end. Russell is a great example of someone who was great at getting to the end, but not winning over the jury.

If your jury is full of players who respect somebody for "playing the game" then I think a guy like Russell does just fine.
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:12 PM   #20
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I think it was an amazingly dumb move by that girl to out Reynolds idol at tribal. She had a great piece of info to leverage against him and now it is gone. They weren't going to vote him anyway, and Reynold was smart enough to know that and not use it.

I wonder when the "pretty" people will realize they are outnumbered and their alliances of 4 are easily going to get picked off. Seems like a trend lately.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:21 PM   #21
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyshaka View Post
If your jury is full of players who respect somebody for "playing the game" then I think a guy like Russell does just fine.

There's a difference between someone who plays a cutthroat, strategic game like Parvati or Rob and someone who is so obnoxious that everyone hates them. No person doing the latter has ever won and I don't think they ever will.

Old 02-21-2013, 04:37 PM   #22
Suicane75
Coordinator

Can they just rename this one, Survivor: Dickhead Island, and be done with it.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:23 AM   #23
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
Missed the premier, watched the 2nd episode. Was less than impressed.

I mean, Survivor, isnt Masterpiece Theatre. My expectations are not much higher than "Is this worth my time to watch"

One more try, and if not, this season is off the DVR.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:26 AM   #24
law90026
College Benchwarmer

Still do not understand why a group of 4 would think it has all the power. See where that has gotten the 2 girls in that group.
law90026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:34 PM   #25
saldana
Pro Starter

there is seriously not one likable person on the fans team
Old 03-03-2013, 07:24 PM   #26
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

They are already starting filming on the third consecutive survivor to be filmed here in the Philippines.

Seems like they are really digging the country (or the cheap labor).
Old 03-07-2013, 06:03 PM   #27
General Mike
Pro Starter

A double good riddance after last night's show.

The preview for next week's episode looks interesting.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:54 PM   #28
law90026
College Benchwarmer

Girls on the fan's side are screwed after last night.
law90026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:40 PM   #29
LloydLungs
College Prospect

Based on his pre-season comments, I fear that Jeff Probst may be overrating how awesome it is to watch people with genuine mental illnesses scream at everyone.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:56 PM   #30
Racer
College Benchwarmer

Brandon should have never been invited back.
Racer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:59 PM   #31
Scarecrow
College Prospect

Spoiler
Old 03-13-2013, 08:00 PM   #32
Racer
College Benchwarmer

First time ever that throwing/forfeiting an immunity challenge made total sense.
Racer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:57 PM   #33
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Sadly I can agree with Brandon but he went way over the edge. I think he had very valid points.

Phillip acts like he is the hero of the tribe.

Phillip is running the show.

Those nicknames are stupid.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:10 PM   #34
LloydLungs
College Prospect

Quote:
Sadly I can agree with Brandon but he went way over the edge. I think he had very valid points.

Yep. Valid points albeit delivered by a completely insane person.

Brandon's eventually going to kill someone. I guess this is supposed to delight us to watch his "antics" every week? Haha, violent bipolars are great entertainment! Yeah, fuck you, CBS.

Damn I miss Survivor.
Old 03-14-2013, 04:08 AM   #35
Suicane75
Coordinator

Had to FF through most of the episode, which I never do. Glad that 2 of the 3 wackos are now gone but I have my doubts that it'll be all that interesting anyway.

And yes, the idol thing is getting played out. At this point I think I'd prefer it be incorporated into an every man for himself reward challenge 4 or 5 weeks into the game.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:28 AM   #36
saldana
Pro Starter

Quote:

Phillip acts like he is the hero of the tribe.

Phillip is running the show.

Those nicknames are stupid.

i agree with him on this part too...how can it be called "stealth r'us" when everyone knows about it

AND

what the F good is an alliance that has EVERYONE IN IT.

phillip is a complete moron and i am tired of his act
Old 03-14-2013, 08:35 PM   #37
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

It was actually uncomfortable watching this week. I hope they get some backlash that this isn't the kind of stuff people want to see.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:57 AM   #38
ntndeacon
Pro Starter

I would try to refuse being at any finally that had Brandon at it.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:38 AM   #39
korme
Go Reds

I really enjoyed that episode, I thought it was kind of funny. Kind of like Brandon, even though he's a legitimate psychopath.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:01 AM   #40
molson
General Manager

Some fun tidbits from Probst. He says he was whispering into his mic for security to get ready to intervene.

'Survivor: Caramoan': Jeff Probst on the Brandon Hantz meltdown | Inside TV | EW.com
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 12:22 PM   #41
Castlerock
High School Varsity

So how many think that Brandon watched that episode on TV and was proud of himself? (raises hand)

Last edited by Castlerock : 03-15-2013 at 12:23 PM.
Castlerock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 12:34 PM   #42
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castlerock View Post
So how many think that Brandon watched that episode on TV and was proud of himself? (raises hand)

he has said as much in interviews I was reading after the show.

Not trying to call Shorty out, but I don't see how anyone could enjoy watching someone who obviously has severe mental issues on display like that.

I have watched every season and that was easily the most freaked out I have ever seen Probst, he really thought there was going to be a confrontation.
Old 03-15-2013, 01:29 PM   #43
korme
Go Reds

I think he was playing himself up more than anything, I don't doubt he was more animated because cameras were rolling, is all.
Old 03-15-2013, 01:38 PM   #44
LloydLungs
College Prospect

Quote:
Not trying to call Shorty out, but I don't see how anyone could enjoy watching someone who obviously has severe mental issues on display like that.

The guy's got serious anger/bipolar issues, he's beaten his wife, etc. He's in a family that thinks that kind of stuff makes you more of a man. It's sad. But Probst eats this stuff up -- if you don't think there's going to be a Russell vs. Brandon season in the future, you're probably kidding yourself.

For all of Probst's "we do this show for the fans" talk, they're just constantly looking for the next crazy psycho character to Springer-ize Survivor and win themselves some casual gawker viewers and water cooler talk. Survivor has been on a steady downward trend starting with Probst's massive crush on Coach during his first season. At this point I'm only sticking with it because Rob Cesternino's podcast is my favorite podcast and I want to keep up.
Old 03-15-2013, 02:17 PM   #45
molson
General Manager

Brandon's nutty but I wonder how much of it is just stupidity and his idea of what makes good television and what will make him a star. He wasn't really "out of control" in that he certainly knew what his contractual obligations were - he's not allowed to destroy property (so he dumps rice out), he's not allowed to have contact with members of the other tribe (so he asks Jeff's permission before he addresses them.) He seems to be close to his uncle so he may not desperately need the money - having a big TV moment may be more important. And he doesn't have Russell's skill or maturity or intelligence (relatively speaking), so he gets his moment an easier way.

Last edited by molson : 03-15-2013 at 02:19 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:41 PM   #46
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

It was uncomfortable to watch.

If they do a Russell versus Brandon season that will mark the end of my run of watching the show.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 12:34 AM   #47
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
It was uncomfortable to watch.

If they do a Russell versus Brandon season that will mark the end of my run of watching the show.

Yea this episode was pathetic and painful to watch.
Old 03-17-2013, 05:27 PM   #48
General Mike
Pro Starter

I would have paid to see him piss in the rice.

Can't wait til Phillip goes home.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:12 PM   #49
General Mike
Pro Starter

How are these people Favorites?
Old 03-20-2013, 08:31 PM   #50
LloydLungs
College Prospect

Corinne is a terrible person but I gotta admit, comparing Phillip to a crying baby with diarrhea on an airplane was gold, Jerry, gold.

Okay, it wasn't the greatest episode but yeah! Survivor things! Strategy! Things other than insane people screaming! It's a start.