Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-11-2020, 10:59 PM   #751
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Opening day is 2 weeks from tomorrow. That shit ain’t happening. Two weeks from now there will likely be millions infected. Baseball ain’t happening.

Good bet that you are right.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 11:14 PM   #752
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

yes it's so great that is takes sports getting cancelled for people to notice something is wrong
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 11:18 PM   #753
RainMaker
General Manager

He does have a heart condition so it could be related to that.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 11:18 PM   #754
RainMaker
General Manager

DOW futures down almost 1200.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 11:19 PM   #755
QuikSand
lolzcat

I work in a state capital, where public gatherings (not of thousands, but of scores) are literally the grist of the whole machine... and it feels weird AF. We nominally have three weeks until our legislative session is supposed to end... it's hard to see these three weeks unfolding normally in any way. No clue what lies ahead, and nobody else does, either. Nothing I have ever seen before.

Best bet is they will call an abridgment to the session at a date certain, cancel visitors including citizen testimony at public hearings, and then try to get out gracefully with a ton of stuff not finished that was supposed to work itself out by April 6.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 01:36 AM   #756
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Man, next week I'm supposed to go in for a half-day hospitalization program starting the 17th, and being on immune system supressants has me worried about catching something and then the immune system not being able to fight it well. Probably nothing, but I do think I have a valid reason to worry.
Old 03-12-2020, 02:58 AM   #757
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Well shutting down the economy because of a virus that is mainly lethal to the elderly with complications does seem like an overreaction to me.

The recession that our reaction is going to cause may be more troublesome than the virus itself.

I only see Edward’s quoted posts, so answering his examples of overreacting: ideas of getting guns and cash in case society breaks down is the main one. That’s just hysterical.

Yes it’s serious, and treating it with concern, worry, shutting down the economy, restrictions to movement and gatherings, etc all perfectly sensible, and many of us may well end up knowing or knowing of people who die from this (I’m worried about my 87 year old dad with an elevated HR in particular), but talking as if this is some sort of apocalyptic horror movie and the end of society is plain ridiculous.

Last edited by AlexB : 03-12-2020 at 03:14 AM.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 04:58 AM   #758
AlexB
Pro Starter

Or more succinctly, don't panic.
Old 03-12-2020, 06:09 AM   #759
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

He tested positive for Influenza A. He was sent home without quarantine, thankfully.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 03-12-2020 at 06:15 AM.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 06:13 AM   #760
tarcone
Coordinator

Read that 9% of diabetics will die from the virus. That has me a little worried.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 06:15 AM   #761
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexB View Post
I only see Edward’s quoted posts, so answering his examples of overreacting: ideas of getting guns and cash in case society breaks down is the main one. That’s just hysterical.

Yes it’s serious, and treating it with concern, worry, shutting down the economy, restrictions to movement and gatherings, etc all perfectly sensible, and many of us may well end up knowing or knowing of people who die from this (I’m worried about my 87 year old dad with an elevated HR in particular), but talking as if this is some sort of apocalyptic horror movie and the end of society is plain ridiculous.

To be fair I qualified it as a crazy thought but maybe you missed that part.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 06:16 AM   #762
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Read that 9% of diabetics will die from the virus. That has me a little worried.

Has anyone seen if they are separating type one and two in that number?
Old 03-12-2020, 06:23 AM   #763
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Has anyone seen if they are separating type one and two in that number?

My guess is that the numbers would be heavily slated towards the residual health problems stemming from the diabetes than the diabetes disease itself itself, type 1 or 2.
Old 03-12-2020, 06:24 AM   #764
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:

I don't disagree, we are nowhere close to temporary societal breakdown. Using a scale where LA Riots is a severity level 9 and Katrina a 10 (and Mad Max is a 100), I think we are 6'ish right now.

However, if a person is already worried about it then go ahead and do something about it. No harm in taking out additional cash and, if willing to be responsible, no harm in buying a weapon and getting trained on it.
Old 03-12-2020, 06:31 AM   #765
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:

Seriously, you do you. Doesn't matter what other people say. Assuming you are of sound mind, do what you need to do to feel good about taking care of family.

Some people on this board would likely have called all the buying and prevention measures as "panic" back in early Jan. Most of it is common sense now and goes to show you how things can escalate.

Last edited by Edward64 : 03-12-2020 at 06:37 AM.
Old 03-12-2020, 06:58 AM   #766
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Or more succinctly, don't panic.

And don't forget a towel.
Old 03-12-2020, 08:16 AM   #767
revrew
Team Chaplain

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Has there been a movie or TV series where a virus kills off all adults, leaving all the children in the world to figure it out? I'd watch that.

Isn't that sort of the premise of the The 100? I watched a couple seasons of that, met one of the stars once.

Also, see the book, "The Lord of the Flies." Different cause for the absence of adults, but a masterpiece of a book.
I came to the Crossroad. I took it. And that has made all the difference.
revrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 08:17 AM   #768
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:

Ah, i did miss that part
Old 03-12-2020, 08:31 AM   #769
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

So I realize this is anecdotal, but hospitals may already be stretched thin.

My Mother in Law had a heart transplant 11 years ago. She is ok, but far from ideal health. She has had diarrhea for about a week. Her heart doctor at Columbia Presbyterian in NY told her she has to come up from central Jersey to the hospital. The make the trip up on Tuesday. The tell her she has to be admitted for an IV. They put her in the ER to get it started. One side someone with a 105 fever, the other someone coughing like crazy. Far from ideal. Finally at 9 AM Wednesday AM she gets a room. 24 hours later she has yet to see a doctor. She has been through this before and it has never been like this. Very worrisome.
Old 03-12-2020, 08:32 AM   #770
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Down opened down 1644. Every time he speaks he does more damage.
Old 03-12-2020, 08:55 AM   #771
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

"May you live in interesting times" is one hell of a curse

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 08:57 AM   #772
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Down opened down 1644. Every time he speaks he does more damage.

I don't know if this was a typo or intentional, but it sure is fitting.
Old 03-12-2020, 09:02 AM   #773
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
No, not at all. The two odd things right now are the lingering cough, sore throat (which I believe is linked to the cough, but maybe secondary strep infection), and the crackle (sounds like carbonation) when exhaling (although after some breathing exercises, those are now intermittent).

EDIT: As an asthmatic (although typically exercise and cold weather triggered), I am sensitive to any changes in my breathing and realize for anything lung related I am particularly susceptible to it. So I practice some basic breathing techniques, breathe using your stomach not your chest, inhale deeply, hold it for a couple of seconds, exhale, etc. I learned by doing this (completely anecdotally), I tend to keep infections that would have sidelined me in the past, I can keep from setting in, or mitigate the damage if you will, instead of a severe case of bronchitis it is more mild, etc.

So following up on all this, I received a call from the doctor's office 90 mins before my scheduled visit. I didn't pick up as I was in the other room, called them back, and they suggested I go to the hospital instead. I told them, if that was what they thought best I could, but that it was a little overkill. The worst was prior to the weekend and I was worried about the lingering cough, and possible secondary infection.

Long story short, I did an e-visit. They feel I have/had Covid-19. They are calling in some albuterol to help open up my lungs and reduce the residual cough (I think it will completely solve it.). I kind of understand not wanting to see me and thus exposing other patients, but recommending going to the hospital right away I do not think is the right answer either. I had to reiterate a few times to the nurse that I was not having any trouble breathing.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 09:07 AM   #774
Kodos
Resident Alien

Hang in there, Warhammer.
Old 03-12-2020, 09:09 AM   #775
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
So following up on all this, I received a call from the doctor's office 90 mins before my scheduled visit. I didn't pick up as I was in the other room, called them back, and they suggested I go to the hospital instead. I told them, if that was what they thought best I could, but that it was a little overkill. The worst was prior to the weekend and I was worried about the lingering cough, and possible secondary infection.

Long story short, I did an e-visit. They feel I have/had Covid-19. They are calling in some albuterol to help open up my lungs and reduce the residual cough (I think it will completely solve it.). I kind of understand not wanting to see me and thus exposing other patients, but recommending going to the hospital right away I do not think is the right answer either. I had to reiterate a few times to the nurse that I was not having any trouble breathing.

Wonder if albuterol really does help?

My daughter has some that she uses sometimes for asthma. We have some extras so good to know.

Told my son to invite back his European roommate for spring break next week. He's probably freaking out a little.

Last edited by Edward64 : 03-12-2020 at 09:10 AM.
Old 03-12-2020, 09:22 AM   #776
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Hope it all turns out well, Warhammer. It does seem like a bit of overkill, but I guess doctor's offices are likely freaking too.
Old 03-12-2020, 09:34 AM   #777
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Here is the thing, I am on the backside of everything. The two risk factors for me, I am 45 and asthmatic (but this has been well under control for years, was even running 5 miles multiple times a week a few years ago with no need for an inhaler).

For what is bothering me now, and knowing my body, I think albuterol is what I need. I will advise after I get it, that's how under control my asthma has been, I don't have a current prescription for any of the meds.

Honestly, outside of the cough and the sore throat (due to the cough), I feel fine at this point. I might be a little more sensitive than normal to temperature changes.

To me, what is more bewildering is the response from the doctor's office, which is why I have been posting all this. This doctor is a pretty solid doctor, a bit old school in the, here is what I am doing, this is what I think it is. There is a small chance it could be this, but the test is expensive, and not worth the cost for the chance. If you still have these symptoms after 2 days let me know, and we will change treatment. Where most other recent doctors I have had, will just run the test, say it is necessary and how ever many dollars later (and ruling that out, just to be safe) treat you the same way.

They seem a little disorganized compared to how they normally are. I was also puzzled by immediately recommending I go to the hospital even though the worst was over. I can certainly understand not wanting to infect the staff or other people at the office, but we don't even know if I have this or if it was the normal flu.
Old 03-12-2020, 09:36 AM   #778
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Hope it all turns out well, Warhammer. It does seem like a bit of overkill, but I guess doctor's offices are likely freaking too.

Yeah, that is what strikes me about the situation. Also, I was asked to quarantine myself, which will not be an issue as long as the kids don't have any issues where I need to take them somewhere in an emergency (wife is out of town this weekend).
Old 03-12-2020, 09:36 AM   #779
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
"May you live in interesting times" is one hell of a curse

SI

Good to see you back for a post at least. Hang in there.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 09:45 AM   #780
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Well I just checked my 401(k)… maybe a 15% drop since mid February. At least I have 20 years until I'm contemplating retirement.
Old 03-12-2020, 09:47 AM   #781
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

They probably (or should) want to confirm whether or not you actually have it, so that you can follow up with people you’ve been closely associating with. You’re probably beyond needing help, but others you’ve been in close contact with would ideally get tested and self-quarantine if they are found to be positive. I don’t disagree the hospital isn’t necessarily the best place to be tested though.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 09:50 AM   #782
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Wow warhammer. Good luck. Sounds like you’re on the backend.
Old 03-12-2020, 09:53 AM   #783
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Exactly, I would be more than willing to go back to people with that info if I had been tested, but the fact I haven't been makes that hard for me to do.

That said, the guys I have been travelling with at work I have kept posted on how I have been feeling, and everything else. Which is something I do normally if I have been travelling with someone.
Old 03-12-2020, 09:58 AM   #784
JPhillips
General Manager

Viking and Princess suspending all cruises.
Old 03-12-2020, 10:01 AM   #785
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Well I just checked my 401(k)… maybe a 15% drop since mid February. At least I have 20 years until I'm contemplating retirement.

I refuse to look. I was having such a good year so far. I want to keep those memories.

Also...

Old 03-12-2020, 10:05 AM   #786
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
You’re probably beyond needing help ...

I thought "that's just cold, really brutal"

Last edited by Edward64 : 03-12-2020 at 10:06 AM.
Old 03-12-2020, 10:11 AM   #787
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
I refuse to look. I was having such a good year so far. I want to keep those memories.

Me too.

There's going to be the inevitable layoffs coming. Average recession I read was 10-12 months but this is going to be a global recession. Hope it'll be shallow assuming good progress on a vaccine and my guess is the US will bounce back earlier than the other countries, so relatively speaking still good to be in US stocks ... just don't look right now!
Old 03-12-2020, 10:20 AM   #788
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Wonder if albuterol really does help?

My daughter has some that she uses sometimes for asthma. We have some extras so good to know.

Told my son to invite back his European roommate for spring break next week. He's probably freaking out a little.

So just got the prescription, yeah it is helping me. Crackle/wheeze is gone even on deep exhales. This should also help my cough as well, will keep you posted there.

As a note, many respiratory bugs can have (I think it is termed) acute asthmatic inflammation as a side effect, which the albuterol relieves. It affects me by what I would call a pre-asthma attack. Lung and bronchial linings have swollen but not to the point of producing mucus (which would be a full blown attack).

What is odd, and I have never had this happen before, this has opened my sinuses. Not sure what that means, only way the meds would get there would be upon exhaling (after exhaling through the mouth as you would for normal inhaler application).
Old 03-12-2020, 10:26 AM   #789
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I tend to be a worrier, so I figured I'd just bite the bullet
Old 03-12-2020, 10:44 AM   #790
Swaggs
Coordinator

Hearing that there are discussions about cancelling the NCAA tournament. Makes sense with the travel and close contact, but what a big loss.

Hard to believe how quickly things are becoming unraveled.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 10:49 AM   #791
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
A top U.S. official said the nation cannot process coronavirus tests as quickly, easily or in the same volume as other countries as the virus continues to spread across the U.S., and that’s “a failing.”

“The system is not really geared to what we need right now, what you are asking for. That is a failing,” Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, told the House Oversight and Reform Committee on Thursday at a hearing on the nation’s preparedness for the outbreak.

“The idea of anybody getting it easily the way people in other countries are doing it, we’re not set up for that. Do I think we should be? Yes. But we’re not,” Fauci testified.

Good to see at least one of the experts willing to tell the truth regardless of what Trump says.
Old 03-12-2020, 10:51 AM   #792
JPhillips
General Manager

dola

GOPers starting to say the Senate won't do anything until after recess so they can see what needs to be done.

Crazy.
Old 03-12-2020, 10:51 AM   #793
spleen1015
Coordinator

Starting to hear of conference tournaments getting cancelled.
Old 03-12-2020, 10:53 AM   #794
miami_fan
Coordinator

Donovan Mitchell tests positive for coronavirus
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 10:54 AM   #795
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Starting to hear of conference tournaments getting cancelled.

Big Ten, SEC, American cancel conference tournaments
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 03-12-2020, 10:56 AM   #796
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post

"Jazz players are privately saying that Gobert showed a cavalier attitude toward the virus in the locker room, touching teammates and their belongings."

That's going to follow him around for a while...
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 10:59 AM   #797
spleen1015
Coordinator

How do we know Donovan Mitchell didn't give it to Gobert?
Old 03-12-2020, 11:02 AM   #798
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post

Hard to believe how quickly things are becoming unraveled.

There was definitely a momentum to things built at a crazy pace. But actual virus news took a big backseat yesterday. All the cancellations were triggered by other cancellations, or non-public information they were getting about the spread.

The numbers can't really be trusted, especially in the U.S., so it's kind of hard to process and understand just where we are with the actual virus. Which is an odd feeling when we're so used to having all relevant information and stats at our fingerprints at all times.

Last edited by molson : 03-12-2020 at 11:03 AM.
Old 03-12-2020, 11:03 AM   #799
molson
General Manager

Quote:

Maybe he did. We've seen illness travel through locker rooms quickly, that's nobody fault. But it sounds like the Jazz players are annoyed by Gobert making a big joke of it.

(When they said he was "touching teammates and their belongings," I took that to mean that he was doing that the way he touched those microphones, as like a prank making fun of precautions others were taking. Like if somebody at work was staying in their office to stay safe and I ran in there and started touching their face to be funny).

Last edited by molson : 03-12-2020 at 11:09 AM.
Old 03-12-2020, 11:06 AM   #800
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:

We don't but as we have seen with a number of other things, the locker room is not the most rational space in the world.