Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-28-2023, 09:07 PM   #751
Kodos
Resident Alien

Yeah, this one hurts. Rest in peace, and thanks for the laughs.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2023, 09:42 PM   #752
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I hate to be "that guy"

but somehow "drowned in Jacuzzi" takes all sadness out of the death for me.
Old 10-28-2023, 09:58 PM   #753
cuervo72
Head Coach

While on some level the death of a 54yo should usually be seen as more "tragic" than the death of an 80yo, in this case the death of the 80yo lands a little harder with me, in that it makes me think "damn, Richard Moll was 80yo." It really bangs home the passage of time. I know Richard Moll as a much younger man. Yet another cast member of a show from my youth is gone. Perry's death, while (like much of his battles with addiction) is sad, but it's a rarer occurrence, someone from our cohort dying. That, and there's the unnatural aspect of it -- jaccuzi, well that's a freak occurrence. Moll is another case of "shit, that generation (I grew up watching) is disappearing."
Old 10-28-2023, 10:01 PM   #754
cuervo72
Head Coach

Or, most of us can beat the jacuzzi - none of us are going to beat time.
Old 10-28-2023, 10:04 PM   #755
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I'm gonna bet the jacuzzi had a little help.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2023, 10:21 PM   #756
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post

I dunno, initial "sources" say no drugs found at the scene.

I could completely believe that, given his history, his heart just said fuck this shit I'm out.
Old 10-28-2023, 10:29 PM   #757
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

I could completely believe that, given his history, his heart just said fuck this shit I'm out.

I've seen some speculation from medical professionals that with his history of drug and alcohol abuse there's a decent chance he suffered from low blood pressure, which would have been made worse by getting into a hot jacuzzi. It could have led to a heart attack or just simply passing out and drowning.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2023, 10:34 PM   #758
Ksyrup

Quote:

I think we're saying the same thing. Meaning, almost nobody drowns in a jacuzzi without some sort of contributing factor. He could have slipped and hit his head, I suppose, but it's more likely his history - whether his past use or more recent - is really what put him in position to drown. It's not like he went swimming and got pulled under a rip current.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 10-29-2023, 04:57 AM   #759
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

It's important to note that while Perry abused drugs much like many (most?) actors of the time, what really got him was an opiate addiction commenced legally after a watercraft accident. This death is merely another to be correctly foisted upon the Sackler family and everyone in industry, government, and the medical profession that ignored the warnings about those drugs for too long.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 05:41 AM   #760
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:

I'm guessing better than even odds.

If truly caused by drug abuse, stupid way to go.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 10:06 AM   #761
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Whitney drowned in a bathtub "with a little help." It is entirely possible that this was medical. It actually is a pretty common occurrence that a Jacuzzi causes someone to pass out or have a heart attack.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 04:03 PM   #762
AlexB
Pro Starter

Not sure this qualifies as famous person, but felt this thread was more appropriate than the Random Thoughts.

Nottingham Panthers ice hockey player Adam Johnson dies after ˜freak injury” | Ice hockey | The Guardian

Kinda surprised cut injuries don’t happen more often TBH, but this is horrific

Last edited by AlexB : 10-29-2023 at 04:03 PM.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 04:07 PM   #763
GrantDawg

Can you imagine the blood on the ice from that? Ugh.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
Old 10-29-2023, 04:11 PM   #764
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Saw the video, it was A LOT of blood
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 09:49 PM   #765
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

OMFG

so sorry for him
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 11:01 PM   #766
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Old 10-29-2023, 11:46 PM   #767
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:

Decades of heavy cocaine and alcohol use will turn your heart into a time bomb. Even after you've gotten sober. My guess is his heart gave out in the jacuzzi.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 01:43 AM   #768
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I can’t be the only one who didn’t know that Matthew Perry’s stepfather was Keith Morrison, the creepy guy from dateline
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 06:23 AM   #769
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I can’t be the only one who didn’t know that Matthew Perry’s stepfather was Keith Morrison, the creepy guy from dateline
I heard an interview of Keith Morrison a while back on a podcast, that is how I knew.
Old 10-30-2023, 06:33 AM   #770
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

That hockey thing really bothers me. It was so sad watching that. It reminded me of how steve irwin died. Just....an accident that hit exactly right and he even realized what was happening to himself as he died.
Old 10-30-2023, 09:43 AM   #771
Ksyrup

Quote:

Yeah, I posted that earlier. Had no idea.

I always called him Guy Smiley (mainly the long-faced reporter, but worked better before he got OLD and his hair went total white).

Old 10-30-2023, 10:04 AM   #772
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Yeah, I posted that earlier. Had no idea.

I always called him Guy Smiley (mainly the long-faced reporter, but worked better before he got OLD and his hair went total white).

I always think this about Maggie Vespa.
Old 10-30-2023, 10:49 AM   #773
molson
General Manager

Quote:

Wow.

I also learned yesterday that Anderson Cooper's mother was Gloria Vanderbilt.

My favorite "wow" of this genre was learning a few years back that Bartlett Giamatti was Paul Giamatti's father.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 11:22 AM   #774
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I also learned yesterday that Anderson Cooper's mother was Gloria Vanderbilt.

Just out of curiosity I suppose ... you do know who George Clooney's mother is, right?
Old 10-30-2023, 11:26 AM   #775
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Just out of curiosity I suppose ... you do know who George Clooney's mother is, right?

I knew the Clooney name and Rosemary Clooney, but was amused to learn his father was a well-known TV anchor (who I never heard of until I learned that), and that Miguel Ferrer was his cousin.

Last edited by molson : 10-30-2023 at 11:27 AM.
Old 10-30-2023, 12:07 PM   #776
Swaggs
Coordinator

This will make you appreciate/like Keith Morrison. Bill Hader loves him and used to play him on SNL and they surprised him by letting them hang with Keith. Pretty wholesome:

Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 06:27 PM   #777
Edward64
Head Coach

Bob Knight has passed.
Old 11-01-2023, 06:41 PM   #778
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I hope there aren't folding chairs in heaven.
Old 11-01-2023, 06:56 PM   #779
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Knight:

When my time on earth is gone, and my activities here are passed, I want them to bury me upside down, and my critics can kiss my ass.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 08:18 PM   #780
Kodos
Resident Alien

I have a lot of mixed feelings on Coach Knight. He did a lot of good things, but pulled a lot of shit too. Rest in peace.
Old 11-02-2023, 06:46 AM   #781
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
I hope there aren't folding chairs in heaven.

Old 11-02-2023, 07:49 AM   #782
GrantDawg

Would you throw a chair,
If I saw you in Heaven
Give an angry glare,
If I saw you in Heaven...
Old 11-02-2023, 03:10 PM   #783
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
I have a lot of mixed feelings on Coach Knight. He did a lot of good things, but pulled a lot of shit too. Rest in peace.

I feel like Bobby Knight was the coach that I "knew" completely in the moment. Before him, I feel like coaches were portrayed as either complete saints or complete assholes. The saints were guys who never did anything negative to his players or anyone else. Those coaches would eventually be considered kind of soft so their fans had to tell the stories that the coach could be an asshole when he needed to. The reverse was true on the other side. At some point there had to be a story of the complete asshole coach using his influence for good in big but anonymous way to make him appear to be less of an asshole. For me, Knight was the first coach that I would see and hear about both of those sides in the moment. He seemed to always be his authentic self flaws and all.

Sadly way too many assholes justify abusive and obnoxious behavior by fraudulently claiming they are only following Knight's example. Love him and hate him, there was and will only be one Robert Montgomery Knight. RIP.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 03:12 PM   #784
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

fwiw, Jay Bilas has a pretty good column about Knight on espn dot com today
Old 11-02-2023, 03:17 PM   #785
Kodos
Resident Alien

Yeah, I just read that. It was good.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 02:59 PM   #786
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post

This is where I'm at as well. I think by most objective measures, one of the top four of five college coaches of all time. But just as undoubtedly an ass hat.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2023, 11:15 AM   #787
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexB View Post
Not sure this qualifies as famous person, but felt this thread was more appropriate than the Random Thoughts.

Nottingham Panthers ice hockey player Adam Johnson dies after ˜freak injury” | Ice hockey | The Guardian

Kinda surprised cut injuries don’t happen more often TBH, but this is horrific

Police have just arrested the player whose skate cut Adam Johnson’s neck for manslaughter.

I did watch the video, wish I hadn’t, not going to watch it again, but I don’t recall anything that looked like it was anything other than a tragic accident.

Last edited by AlexB : 11-14-2023 at 11:15 AM.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2023, 11:31 AM   #788
molson
General Manager

That's crazy, seems like maybe there was a lot of public pressure driven by emotion? Which is a terrible way to make a charging decision.

I feel bad for him.

Edit: I haven't played much ice hockey, certainly nothing close to the speed and collisions at that level, but there seems to be a minority opinion among hockey people there that he swung his leg up on purpose - not to kill the guy - but to obstruct his movement. Which I guess could fall into some kind of reckless intent/however the charge is defined. And apparently this was a "move" he's used before. So who knows.

Last edited by molson : 11-14-2023 at 11:35 AM.
Old 11-14-2023, 11:38 AM   #789
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Didn't look natural at all from what I remember. Not surprised he's been charged.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2023, 12:36 PM   #790
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

One thing I thought odd is that they had him skate off the ice instead of using a stretcher or just giving first aid right there on the ice.
Old 11-14-2023, 01:32 PM   #791
GrantDawg

Old 11-14-2023, 04:06 PM   #792
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Man arrested on suspicion of manslaughter in Adam Johnson's hockey death | AP News

Quote:
It would be rare, but not unprecedented, for a hockey player to be charged.

Giacinto “Jim” Boni was charged in Italy with culpable homicide after he slashed Miran Schrott in the chest during a game on Jan. 14, 1992, and Schrott died as a result of a cardiac event. Boni pleaded guilty to manslaughter.

Two NHL players in recent history have been charged with a crime in Canada for an on-ice action: Marty McSorley and Todd Bertuzzi.

In 2000, McSorley was found guilty of assault with a deadly weapon for a two-handed slash to the head of Donald Brashear with his stick. He was sentenced to 18 months probation.

In 2004, Bertuzzi pleaded guilty to assault for grabbing Steve Moore from behind and sucker punching him. Bertuzzi agreed to a plea deal and was sentenced to one year probation and 80 hours of community service.

Old 11-14-2023, 04:21 PM   #793
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar v2 View Post
Didn't look natural at all from what I remember. Not surprised he's been charged.

Lots of ex-players on Twitter saying the same thing FWIW. I haven’t had the stomach to watch it, but also in the UK the bar for a manslaughter investigation is pretty low and I was reading a Twitter thread on it earlier that also said they basically have to do it procedurally to keep investigating.

So all in all, not at all surprised in this either.

DOLA - and now trying to find said tweet, I’ve seen the gif like 3 times. Yeah, that just looks ugly and unnatural, but equally I can’t believe any hockey player is that reckless.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2023, 10:21 PM   #794
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

If anything they should arrest the skate. Clearly it houses the soul of some mass murderer.
Old 11-15-2023, 12:29 PM   #795
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

The Malarchuk incident has been burned in my memory for 30 years or whatever now, so I have not had the stomach to watch this new one. I find it crazy to think it could have been anything other than a freak accident. Then I saw a video last night of another time the arrested individual kind of kicked out with his skate and it was super intentional. So now I'm less certain, and even more sickened.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 04:12 PM   #796
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Lots of ex-players on Twitter saying the same thing FWIW. I haven’t had the stomach to watch it, but also in the UK the bar for a manslaughter investigation is pretty low and I was reading a Twitter thread on it earlier that also said they basically have to do it procedurally to keep investigating.

So all in all, not at all surprised in this either.

DOLA - and now trying to find said tweet, I’ve seen the gif like 3 times. Yeah, that just looks ugly and unnatural, but equally I can’t believe any hockey player is that reckless.

As far as the video, you really can't see what's happening. THe camera is far away, it pans and then you see a clump of bodies fall like they always do when people crash into each other. You start to see blood on the ice and then as he moves a blood trail forms. The disturbing part for me really is when he and the ref skate off the ice, both are applying pressure to it and they are showing closeup of him there. Just seeing his last moments alive really were sad. It reminded me of Steve Irwin. WHere they described the video...they saw him reach toward the ray and pulled its stinger out of his chest. Those were Steve's last moments alive.
Old 11-15-2023, 04:41 PM   #797
molson
General Manager

We don't notice it as a dramatic thing every time, but I guess it's also true that skates end up high by a guy's face fairly often. It happened last night in the NHL.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1724607574236930449

Last edited by molson : 11-15-2023 at 04:41 PM.
Old 11-16-2023, 02:11 PM   #798
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Longtime NASCAR announcer, broadcaster Ken Squier dies at 88 - ESPN

A darned good broadcaster.

Rest in peace.
Old 11-16-2023, 06:00 PM   #799
GrantDawg

Not famous, but famous adjacent. Dana Carvey's 32-year-old son died of an OD last night. I listen to his podcast with David Spade regularly, and he always talks so glowingly of his sons. Just heartbreaking.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
Old 11-19-2023, 02:46 PM   #800
GrantDawg

Roslayn Carter passed away at 96. If you have money in the Jimmy Carter pool, you need to have a day pretty soon. I would guess he follows her in the next couple of weeks.