Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-09-2017, 06:37 PM   #2351
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Breaking down the analysis of the Denial of the stay of the Temporary Restraining Order. (edit: whew. That's a mouthful)

Instant Analysis of Washington v. Trump | Josh Blackman's Blog

Last edited by SirFozzie : 02-09-2017 at 06:39 PM.
SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 06:43 PM   #2352
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
I'm putin you ON NOTICE until you post your theory

Clever
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 07:18 PM   #2353
RainMaker
General Manager

Some details on the wall. Looks like it will require seeking eminent domain on a lot of land which would force conservatives to switch their stance on this.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-us...-idUSKBN15O2ZN
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 07:42 PM   #2354
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

The Keystone Pipeline proved that Republicans will eagerly use eminent domain.
Old 02-09-2017, 09:26 PM   #2355
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I think I may have just figured out the long game here. And if so, wow, talk about going for the deep ball.

And while I think it's kind of a long shot, I'm not sure that underestimating Trump is a bet I'd be eager to place either.

I'm purposely NOT saying what I'm thinking of here, I prefer to see if anyone else mentions it before I do.
(I'm entitled to entertain myself that way if I want to)

If it doesn't come up, I'll try to remember to come back & expand my thought in a day or so.

We don't live in a spy novel, bud.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 10:33 PM   #2356
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I don't know whether Trump is actually persuaded by the last person he speaks to or whether he just says what he thinks people want to hear, but it's amazing how often his preference seems to change based upon with whom he has meetings.

Hey guess what? On a call with China's Xi Jinping, Trump told him his administration would honor the 'One China' policy.

http://www.reuters.com/article/usa-t...-idUSB9N1FG00K
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 10:44 PM   #2357
MrBug708
Head Coach

I'd like to see eminent domain used on the freaking 710 freeway.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 10:56 PM   #2358
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Hey guess what? On a call with China's Xi Jinping, Trump told him his administration would honor the 'One China' policy.

http://www.reuters.com/article/usa-t...-idUSB9N1FG00K

Another topic that he clearly knows virtually nothing about, but hears the one-sentence version and signs on to. (Hint: look back to news items from just a couple of weeks ago)
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 05:09 AM   #2359
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
We don't live in a spy novel, bud.

The transcript might fool a few people 30 years from now though ...
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 06:41 AM   #2360
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The two leaders discussed numerous topics and President Trump agreed, at the request of President Xi, to honor our 'one China' policy," the White House said in a statement on the call.

What a cuck.
Old 02-10-2017, 06:44 AM   #2361
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
It's just an obvious case of him not having a basic understanding of policy issues, at any level. He talks with foreign leaders, and doesn't even read the basic briefs enough to know obvious issues with them. Someone brings up immigration, and he doesn't have enough familiarity with the issue to hold up his end of the conversation.

He is just going to do this over and over - he's prone to falling for a little snake oil and saying something in the moment that completely contradicts his own "positions" because he doesn't actually know or understand anything. He basically has no foundation to work from. People used to make these jokes/attacks about President George W Bush, but this is an entirely new dimension.

He doesn't read. He doesn't know. He doesn't care. This is just how things are.

Absolutely. It was obvious during the campaign, because he would give interviews where he would contradict stands he had already taken because he either didn't remember them or understand the full impact of... much of anything really.

It really is a matter of who he talks to last and how convincing they are... then his "team" has to kind of re-brainwash him when he takes these walks off the reservation. It's like if W had definitively had early Alzheimer's... and a team full of racist shitbags.

Last edited by Butter : 02-10-2017 at 06:45 AM.
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 06:48 AM   #2362
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I think I may have just figured out the long game here. And if so, wow, talk about going for the deep ball.

And while I think it's kind of a long shot, I'm not sure that underestimating Trump is a bet I'd be eager to place either.

I'm purposely NOT saying what I'm thinking of here, I prefer to see if anyone else mentions it before I do.
(I'm entitled to entertain myself that way if I want to)

If it doesn't come up, I'll try to remember to come back & expand my thought in a day or so.

Not sure either of these reach the level of deep ball but two possible scenarios that I'm sure have been said in some variation by plenty of people.

1. Trump the Con Man. The sideshow is this immigration nonsense while him and his buddies cram through unsexy and unnewsworthy items on all sorts of regulations. Just wait until he does his executive order ending abortion and while the two sides go head to head about to take part in the second civil war Trump and company carry out their real agenda.

2. Using the court against Obama. Trump knows this executive order will get blocked by the Supreme Court and that he will have precedent to then undo a lot of Obama's executive orders.

That said...

Occam's Razor: Trump is just a guy not qualified to be president. Like panerd being elected president... I have laundry list of things that I would like changed or done different from behind my keyboard or with my buddies at the bar and this is exactly what it would look like when I went about doing it. "I'm going to end the war on drugs. Who is on the line? Putin? I don't have time for that!"

Last edited by panerd : 02-10-2017 at 06:49 AM.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 06:52 AM   #2363
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
That court should be formally PUT ON NOTICE.

Old 02-10-2017, 07:07 AM   #2364
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
2. Using the court against Obama. Trump knows this executive order will get blocked by the Supreme Court and that he will have precedent to then undo a lot of Obama's executive orders.

Trump can already undo any EOs signed by Obama. It's fairly common when a new President takes office. At the beginning of his Presidency, Obama ended Bush's EO that banned federal money from being used to fund stem-cell research.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 07:52 AM   #2365
PilotMan
Head Coach

On top of that, a good point was brought up this morning, that Trump could rescind his order and make a new one with clearer, more specific language, with input from various departments. His new order wouldn't be tied up in the courts, and if time was of the essence it's clearly the better course of action. Sure it would be challenged, but rewritten to narrow the focus would make it much stronger. However, in order for him to do this, he'd have to admit that he was wrong with the first one and his ego just might get in the way of that.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 09:24 AM   #2366
QuikSand
lolzcat

Not an unbiased source, but a few interesting takeaways.

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/p...onal_21017.pdf

Do you agree or disagree with the following statement: ‘the Bowling Green massacre shows why we need Donald Trump’s executive order on immigration?’

So, in the aggregate, that comes out 57 disagree / 23 agree. But a slight majority of Trump voters agreed with the statement.

Just a "gotcha" question? Or does that actually tell us something about the nature of modern political messaging?

Last edited by QuikSand : 02-10-2017 at 09:25 AM.
Old 02-10-2017, 09:43 AM   #2367
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
Not an unbiased source, but a few interesting takeaways.

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/p...onal_21017.pdf

Do you agree or disagree with the following statement: ‘the Bowling Green massacre shows why we need Donald Trump’s executive order on immigration?’

So, in the aggregate, that comes out 57 disagree / 23 agree. But a slight majority of Trump voters agreed with the statement.

Just a "gotcha" question? Or does that actually tell us something about the nature of modern political messaging?

You'd have that 20-25% show up on either side regardless of the message or topic. There's reckless loyalist in both parties. Doesn't say much other than there's a lot of blindly stupid people.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 10:00 AM   #2368
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I think it's very much about messaging. I saw a poll a couple of days ago that had 90% of Republicans saying the Trump admin was truthful.
Old 02-10-2017, 10:01 AM   #2369
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
You'd have that 20-25% show up on either side regardless of the message or topic. There's reckless loyalist in both parties. Doesn't say much other than there's a lot of blindly stupid people.

Or not

Quote:
Q20 Do you have a favorable or unfavorable opinion
of Vladimir Putin?
Favorable 10% ........................................................
Unfavorable 72% ....................................................
Not sure 18%

Q31 Would you support or oppose invading
Mexico?
Support 7% ...........................................................
Oppose 83% ...........................................................
Not sure 9%
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 10:13 AM   #2370
digamma
Torchbearer

Easy M, just take Easy D seriously, not literally.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 10:15 AM   #2371
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
2. Using the court against Obama. Trump knows this executive order will get blocked by the Supreme Court and that he will have ...

I intentionally truncated your quote 'cause up to that part it works for what I'm thinking.

You just have to finish the sentence differently.

Hint: it is not something that's never come up before, i.e. no unique notion like giving everyone electric hippity-hops or something.
Old 02-10-2017, 10:15 AM   #2372
Kodos
Resident Alien

So for the people who support invading Mexico, what is the end goal there? Make them the 51st state? No need for a wall then!
Old 02-10-2017, 10:17 AM   #2373
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
So for the people who support invading Mexico, what is the end goal there? Make them the 51st state? No need for a wall then!

Probably just to kill all the Mexicans.
Old 02-10-2017, 10:18 AM   #2374
Easy Mac

Liberal scum and their voter fraud... oh... wait.

Former precinct chairman convicted after voting twice; claims he forgot about first vote, DA says
Old 02-10-2017, 10:18 AM   #2375
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post

Well, an invasion and an occupation are two different things so you don't necessarily have to have both.

That said, I thought Facebook kept me up with all the trending topics, but I didn't realize this was a thing today.
Old 02-10-2017, 10:25 AM   #2376
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Trump tweets out article that supports appeals court decision

The troglodyte-in-chief is the typical Facebook idiot who, at most, reads the first paragraph of an article and thinks he knows what it says.

His ignorance and inability to understand anything of importance at a critical level is astonishing only in that it shows that he's the perfect representative of the people that voted for him.

Last edited by CrescentMoonie : 02-10-2017 at 10:26 AM.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 10:27 AM   #2377
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post

I'd love to see how he managed to do that. My poll workers would have given me the side-eye if I came in more than once.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 11:32 AM   #2378
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Or not

Is that recent? Figured Republican support would be much higher for Putin these days.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 12:19 PM   #2379
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
I'd love to see how he managed to do that. My poll workers would have given me the side-eye if I came in more than once.
I don't know about that county, but in mine, early voting and election day voting take place at entirely different locations. I've lived here 2 1/2 years and voted in all Primaries and Generals (missed a special election or two, but you get the point), but have yet to vote at my official precinct location because of early voting. (And I've early-voted at three different places.)

And recall, as I said earlier, anyone who knew my address in SC could have walked in, claimed to be me, and voted.

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 02-10-2017 at 12:20 PM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 12:59 PM   #2380
Atocep
Coordinator

I don't think Trump has some grand plan or a "gotcha" up his sleeve. He's learning that the US Presidency has finite power and doesn't run as he likely expected.

Even in the example above in regards to the Executive order on abortion, it's yet another thing he doesn't have the power to do. The president can't overturn, even partially, a Supreme Court ruling.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 01:34 PM   #2381
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I think it's very much about messaging. I saw a poll a couple of days ago that had 90% of Republicans saying the Trump admin was truthful.

Do you remember what poll it was? I would like to see that.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 01:39 PM   #2382
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Like it or not, she's now the Secretary of Education. The Secretary of Education, who--it is said--needs to have a better understanding of Public Schools, especially heavily-minority ones, gets blocked from getting into a public school that's 95% black??? (Yes, I looked it up. It's 95% black, 3% Latino, 1 % White, 1% Asian.) Whiskey. Tango. Foxtrot.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/10/politi...ool/index.html

Seems to me that the smart move is to educate her as much as possible about what's really going on inside those doors that they blocked her from entering.
Old 02-10-2017, 01:45 PM   #2383
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Wouldn't that be considered a fire hazard to only have one door in or out?
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 02:02 PM   #2384
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Well she did end up getting in, so I assume she entered through a secondary entrance.
Old 02-10-2017, 02:06 PM   #2385
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Do you remember what poll it was? I would like to see that.

http://media.wix.com/ugd/3bebb2_1a13...65f001f026.pdf
Old 02-10-2017, 02:08 PM   #2386
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Wouldn't that be considered a fire hazard to only have one door in or out?

Were the doors chained?

sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 02:19 PM   #2387
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
Were the doors chained?

Ha! I immediately thought of this as well.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 08:56 AM   #2388
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

He doesn't understand how Asian names work.
Old 02-11-2017, 02:21 PM   #2389
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Thank you for posting.

Something seemed off on the figures you quoted versus the statement you made because it is my impression that outside of the most blinded, ardent supporters of Trump, most would acknowledge he and his administration have told lies or extremely exaggerated points on many if not even most of his stances/actions/etc.

I found the issue looking at the link. The poll question asked if the pollee felt the Trump administration was "generally truthful." That generally gives the pollee a LOT of room to justify their belief the Trump admin is truthful without running into their logic senses.

So from that perspective, I am not sure how much I trust that those numbers properly encapsulate how much (or little) Republicans actually find Trump truthful (and same the other way, since this was also posed to Dems).

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 02:29 PM   #2390
QuikSand
lolzcat

I agree that in polling, there's certainly a point at which a certain question (or an entire poll) becomes, in the mind of the person answering, just a proxy for "do you support the red/blue team?" And once someone on team blue hears/interprets that the question is "do you support team red" they will reject the question... with the appropriate parallels and converses as appropriate.

I think that's what leads to many seemingly strange findings... like the "Bowling Green Massacre" question that locked in half of Trump voters to agreeing that it happened. Because the question went on to ask whether the BGM supported the need for the immigration ban, that made it smell like a fairly simple "do you support Trump" question and th rest sort of withers away.
Old 02-11-2017, 03:49 PM   #2391
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

That's what I meant when I said that it was about political messaging. I think a lot of people answered the question of "Do you trust Trump more than..." whether that be the media, the Democrats, whoever. That's what the White House wants, and it seems to be working.
Old 02-12-2017, 03:21 PM   #2392
Easy Mac

i feel like everyone on the board collectively decided that this morning was just too dumb to even merit posting.
Old 02-12-2017, 03:27 PM   #2393
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
i feel like everyone on the board collectively decided that this morning was just too dumb to even merit posting.

Or just not paying attention anymore I saw him on a golf course with the Japanese leader, and attempts to block the press from seeing it. What else did I miss?
Old 02-12-2017, 03:41 PM   #2394
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

It's loads of fun when a former NSA analyst points out that the intelligence community doesn't think the Mickey Mouse Oval Office can be trusted with the most important information.

The Spy Revolt Against Donald Trump Begins

--In light of this, and out of worries about the White House’s ability to keep secrets, some of our spy agencies have begun withholding intelligence from the Oval Office. Why risk your most sensitive information if the president may ignore it anyway? A senior National Security Agency official explained that NSA was systematically holding back some of the “good stuff” from the White House, in an unprecedented move. For decades, NSA has prepared special reports for the president’s eyes only, containing enormously sensitive intelligence. In the last three weeks, however, NSA has ceased doing this, fearing Trump and his staff cannot keep their best SIGINT secrets.
Old 02-12-2017, 03:45 PM   #2395
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:

The Mark Cuban dust up?
Old 02-12-2017, 03:49 PM   #2396
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Stephen Miller is one scary dude.
Old 02-12-2017, 07:19 PM   #2397
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Stephen Miller is one scary dude.

I thought Ted Cruz had the most punchable face I'd ever seen. Then I saw this dude.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 07:20 PM   #2398
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
I thought Ted Cruz had the most punchable face I'd ever seen. Then I saw this dude.

I dunno. McConnell's face looks like a ready-made punching bag
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 07:34 PM   #2399
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
I dunno. McConnell's face looks like a ready-made punching bag

Have you paid attention to Paul Ryan's permanent smug face.
Old 02-12-2017, 07:44 PM   #2400
bbgunn
College Benchwarmer

Location: Osaka, Japan via Honolulu, Hawaii via Birmingham, Alabama
Quote:
I intentionally truncated your quote 'cause up to that part it works for what I'm thinking.

You just have to finish the sentence differently.

Hint: it is not something that's never come up before, i.e. no unique notion like giving everyone electric hippity-hops or something.
Okay, I'll play the little game.

2. Using the court against Obama. Trump knows this executive order will get blocked by the Supreme Court and that he will have ...
*an opportunity to say that what Obama did was also illegal and press for him to get thrown in jail or something
*the ability to just ban all immigration. Because if the EO gets thrown out because it is deemed a "Muslim ban", then why not just ban everybody then? That way, it doesn't discriminate.