Team B: "9-11! OMG! He is the greatest ever!"

2008:2016:
Team B: "Obama sure spends a lot of time on vacation. Look at all the costs!"
Team A: "OMG! He is the greatest ever!"

2017:
Team A: "Another weekend spent golfing while on vacation."
Team B: "OMG!..."

I know it's different this time right?

I think it's brought up because he was one of the most vocal complainers of Obama playing golf and vacationing.

Last edited by RainMaker : 02-21-2017 at 09:48 PM.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 10:04 PM   #2603
mckerney
Coordinator

Trump hiring freeze forces suspension of military child care programs

Quote:
On January 23, Trump announced a hiring freeze for federal workers. While the freeze included exemptions for those “working in the military” and other national security positions, members of the Armed Forces are feeling the effects.

At least two Army bases are suspending childcare programs, citing staff shortages related to the hiring freeze.

In Fort Knox, Kentucky, garrison commander Col. Stephen Aiton sent a memo on February 17 immediately suspending new enrollment in the childcare program. He also announced that hourly and part-day services would be eliminated at the end of the month “until further notice.” Those part-day services includes preschool.

Aiton explained that “due to the federal hiring freeze” the facility was “prevented from bringing on new caregivers” to replace those that are leaving. The freeze is making it a challenge to provide “quality childcare,” Alton wrote.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 11:12 PM   #2604
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Breibart.fired.Milo
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 08:55 PM   #2605
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
Breibart.fired.Milo

Maher's interview this week on his show was fantastic. I had heard he got some heat for bringing him on the show, but I agree with Maher that just seeing Milo's mannerisms and how he spoke during the interview to Maher and to the crowd was very enlightening. I don't always agree with Maher, but I love that he brings all the extreme conservatives on his show and just lets them hang themselves in front of a national audience. The extreme liberals often do the same, with the only difference being that he talks them back from the edge every once in awhile.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 08:57 PM   #2606
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

dola

One of my good friends is in the bottom left of this photo. He was invited to a small business meeting with other business owners to talk with VP Pence. Pretty exciting moment for him.

Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 03:09 PM   #2607
kingfc22
Head Coach

According to Spicer, States should decide policy on transgender issues, but the Federal government should decide policy on marijuana.

Got it.
Old 02-23-2017, 04:40 PM   #2608
Drake
assmaster

Could someone spell out for me the argument in favor of the coal-ash-in-streams repeal? It reasons against seem self-evident, but other than "job creation", I'm not sure what people in my neck of the woods (Indiana) are seeing as such a positive here.

I understand that part of it is anti-regulatory sentiment...but I'm assuming there's a legitimate bone to pick somewhere between the coal industry and the extent of the regulations beyond just "Yay, we can dump coal ash in streams again!!"
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 04:54 PM   #2609
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
Could someone spell out for me the argument in favor of the coal-ash-in-streams repeal? It reasons against seem self-evident, but other than "job creation", I'm not sure what people in my neck of the woods (Indiana) are seeing as such a positive here.

I understand that part of it is anti-regulatory sentiment...but I'm assuming there's a legitimate bone to pick somewhere between the coal industry and the extent of the regulations beyond just "Yay, we can dump coal ash in streams again!!"

It's about jobs. West Virginia's economy is collapsing because the loss of coal jobs and the state has done little to help the heavy coal areas in southern WV move on with a viable economic alternative. This has led to huge spikes in drug use and drug related deaths in the area.

My family, which is heavy Democrat in most beliefs, was willing to vote for whoever promised to make coal viable again because of the impact its had on the area they live in.

They understand its bad for the environment, but in an area with little to no other options they're willing to allow another generation to have to figure out if it means immediate improvement.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 04:59 PM   #2610
Edward64
Head Coach

I'm all for tax reform and am looking forward to seeing the details.

Mnuchin says Trump tax overhaul could happen by August - LA Times
Quote:
The Trump administration wants to overhaul the tax code by August, Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said Thursday, laying out an aggressive timetable in his first significant public comments since taking office last week.

In a series of interviews, Mnuchin also said that the rally in the stock market rally since President Trump’s election was a vote of confidence in the new administration.

And he said he was seriously considering whether the Treasury Department should issue much longer-term securities — maturing in 50 or even 100 years — which could reduce government debt payments by locking in the current low interest rates.

But Mnuchin’s first goal is to push for a tax overhaul, which he said is key to boosting economic growth to 3% annually or higher, from the lackluster 2% level in recent years.

“Our economic agenda, the No. 1 issue is growth, and the first most important thing that will impact growth is a tax plan,” Mnuchin said in an interview with CNBC.

“So we are committed to pass tax reform,” he said. “We want to get this done by the August recess.”

The House and Senate are scheduled to begin their August recesses on July 29.

In an interview with the Wall Street Journal published Thursday, Mnuchin admitted that passing complex tax legislation in less than six months was “an ambitious timeline” that the administration and Congress might not be able to meet.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 05:09 PM   #2611
Drake
assmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
It's about jobs. West Virginia's economy is collapsing because the loss of coal jobs and the state has done little to help the heavy coal areas in southern WV move on with a viable economic alternative. This has led to huge spikes in drug use and drug related deaths in the area.

My family, which is heavy Democrat in most beliefs, was willing to vote for whoever promised to make coal viable again because of the impact its had on the area they live in.

They understand its bad for the environment, but in an area with little to no other options they're willing to allow another generation to have to figure out if it means immediate improvement.

Okay. I can see this argument in West Virginia and Pennsylvania. I'm a bit confused by all of the Indiana support I'm seeing in my news feed. I mean, we have coal mines, but I don't consider it a major part of our economy...and I theoretically live in what would be the closest thing we've got to coal country.

The profile of the cheer squad tends to also be the pro-hunt and fish/outdoorsmen/second amendment guys...who generally aren't like environmental activists, but they're very solid proponents of responsible use and conservation.

So either they're completely blinded by partisan nose-thumbing (which is possible in some cases), but in general, it leads me to assume that there's something I'm missing. But I can't get anybody to say anything other than "more jobs"...despite the fact that none of them seem to be in line to get (or want) coal mining jobs.

I almost feel like people with reservations are afraid to talk this one out because they're afraid of being accused of being a snowflake (at least publicly...may be time for a beer-and-range-time get together to find out what they're really thinking).
Old 02-23-2017, 05:13 PM   #2612
Drake
assmaster

Don't mistake me here: I'm not all go-environmental-superpowers on this issue. I spent $20k to replace my well last November. If some coal mining outfit poisons my groundwater because they're not being conscientious about the impacts, that's what I'm going to care about.

And I'm going to get compensated for that 20k or I'm going to take 20k worth of equity plus whatever it's going to cost me to haul water in from that point forward out of your operation in one fashion or another until our losses are even.

But that's me. I'm kind of an asshole that way. (In the same way that I supply half of my power through solar...not because of the environmental benefits, but because I've got an ROI of about 7 years, and after that it's pure savings.)

Last edited by Drake : 02-23-2017 at 05:16 PM.
Old 02-23-2017, 05:32 PM   #2613
Radii
Head Coach

FBI refused White House request to knock down recent Trump-Russia stories

The White House's attempts to control and undermine the media remain a truly scary thing to me.

Quote:
The direct communications between the White House and the FBI were unusual because of decade-old restrictions on such contacts. Such a request from the White House is a violation of procedures that limit communications with the FBI on pending investigations.

I have no idea how big a deal that is. /shurg
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 05:34 PM   #2614
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
I'm all for tax reform and am looking forward to seeing the details.

Mnuchin says Trump tax overhaul could happen by August - LA Times

Rich people will pay less in taxes. Debt will grow higher. That's the plan. Trump outlined it in the campaign.
Old 02-23-2017, 05:35 PM   #2615
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

The sad thing is that the coal jobs are gone because coal is economically on par with natural gas, and if Trump reduces regulations on fracking, gas will likely be cheaper.
Old 02-23-2017, 05:59 PM   #2616
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Rich people will pay less in taxes. Debt will grow higher. That's the plan. Trump outlined it in the campaign.

Rich people will pay more. Not sure about Debt if there is cost cutting and economic growth. I am interested in proposed plans for corporate, border taxes.
Old 02-23-2017, 06:19 PM   #2617
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

What makes you think rich people will pay more?
Old 02-23-2017, 06:21 PM   #2618
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Rich people will pay more. Not sure about Debt if there is cost cutting and economic growth. I am interested in proposed plans for corporate, border taxes.

Under what plan will they pay more? His plan is right here. It's a cut of over 14% for the top income tax bracket.

The proposed plan for corporate taxes is to lower the rate to 15% and give businesses a 10% holiday to repatriate income.

And where are you cutting costs from? Especially when Trump has stated he wants to expand the military and institute a trillion dollar infrastructure plan (which isn't really an infrastructure plan but a corporate welfare plan).
Old 02-23-2017, 06:31 PM   #2619
Drake
assmaster

Print more money?
Old 02-23-2017, 07:28 PM   #2620
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
What makes you think rich people will pay more?

Oh sorry, rich people will pay less.
Old 02-23-2017, 07:35 PM   #2621
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
And where are you cutting costs from? Especially when Trump has stated he wants to expand the military and institute a trillion dollar infrastructure plan (which isn't really an infrastructure plan but a corporate welfare plan).

There's plenty of places of cut costs. It comes down to who gets the crappy end of it and/or how much pain affected people will have to bear.
Old 02-23-2017, 09:35 PM   #2622
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

I have no doubt trumps base approves of him so far. I wonder how effective he really needs to be. I'm sure his base loves the Obamacare repeal, building the wall, keeping radicals out, drilling for oil, saving babies despite (so far) the lack of legislation to make it real. But is that enough? I suspect most of his declarations do not have much impact on his base, so a toothless EO is nearly the same as law: most don't have private insurance, don't see many illegals or Muslims, and gas is cheap and babies are born. The poor rust belts folks are real, and need real change, but I'm sure there are fewer of them than well off trump voters. Besides, even if it doesn't get better, the media and courts have already been set up to be the reason.

I guess I'm just surprised how many times I've heard that an action by trump is overturning an Obama action i never knew about. trumps ability to control/create the narrivite is so powerful, I'm not sure effective it really needs to be.
AENeuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 09:42 PM   #2623
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
There's plenty of places of cut costs. It comes down to who gets the crappy end of it and/or how much pain affected people will have to bear.

Trump's tax plan alone was scored at about a trillion a year. There isn't enough to cut unless he plans on deep cuts to SS and/or Medicare, and he promised not to cut those.
Old 02-23-2017, 09:52 PM   #2624
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:

Cut costs where? Most of our budget goes into Medicare, Social Security, Defense, and paying back debt. Trump has stated numerous times he will not cut Medicare or Social Security. He has also stated he wants to increase defense spending by a lot.

So again, where are the cuts coming from and how can they possibly make up for the increases in spending he wants to make in defense and infrastructure along with the decrease in tax revenue?
Old 02-23-2017, 09:58 PM   #2625
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Maher's interview this week on his show was fantastic. I had heard he got some heat for bringing him on the show, but I agree with Maher that just seeing Milo's mannerisms and how he spoke during the interview to Maher and to the crowd was very enlightening. I don't always agree with Maher, but I love that he brings all the extreme conservatives on his show and just lets them hang themselves in front of a national audience. The extreme liberals often do the same, with the only difference being that he talks them back from the edge every once in awhile.

No.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 10:27 PM   #2626
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Cut costs where? Most of our budget goes into Medicare, Social Security, Defense, and paying back debt. Trump has stated numerous times he will not cut Medicare or Social Security. He has also stated he wants to increase defense spending by a lot.

So again, where are the cuts coming from and how can they possibly make up for the increases in spending he wants to make in defense and infrastructure along with the decrease in tax revenue?

He has said many things that I felt were BS. However, he is in a different stage now. Let's give him a chance to do/propose what he says he will do and I don't think entitlements are off the table.

Bottom line - we should know by now to not believe what he says but lets see what he actually proposes to congress.
Old 02-24-2017, 05:20 AM   #2627
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:

But, just so we're beginning at the same starting point, this isn't what Trump has said. He's said that his tax plan will be revenue neutral. The proposed budget isn't based on cutting costs.

This gets you to the discussion of a few pages ago, that to lower taxes and be revenue neutral, growth has to take off. If you use the CBO's forecast numbers, the math doesn't work, so the White House will have be convincing that its own numbers are better and to be trusted.

Or they can win, you know, a party line vote.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 05:30 AM   #2628
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Straight cash economic growth, homie. It will be tremendous!

Last edited by stevew : 02-24-2017 at 05:36 AM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 06:33 AM   #2629
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

The President Of The United States is hate-tweeting the FBI this morning.
Old 02-24-2017, 06:49 AM   #2630
Easy Mac

He can't be dumb enough to not see the irony in his constant decrying of leaks, right?
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 08:10 AM   #2631
Kodos
Resident Alien

I think Hillary should hold a press conference to extol the leaks and ask Russia for more.
Old 02-24-2017, 11:41 AM   #2632
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Trump at CPAC:

Quote:
Now I've been watching and nobody says it but Obamacare doesn't work, folks.

Does he really believe he's the first person courageous enough to speak out against Obamacare?
Old 02-24-2017, 12:17 PM   #2633
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Harambe is more cognitively sound than Cheeto right now.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 12:18 PM   #2634
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Trump at CPAC:

Does he really believe he's the first person courageous enough to speak out against Obamacare?

If nobody has been saying that it doesn't work, doesn't that mean it does work, so that repealing it is idiotic?
Old 02-24-2017, 12:27 PM   #2635
SteveM58
Mascot

Of the numerous things that Trump rails on about...his criticisms of the FBI and CIA are some of the least objectionable to me.
SteveM58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 12:41 PM   #2636
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post

First one willing & able to do something about it would be the (seemingly) obvious qualifier here.
Old 02-24-2017, 01:06 PM   #2637
Easy Mac

except he can't do anything, its up to Congress.
Old 02-24-2017, 01:54 PM   #2638
digamma
Torchbearer

After the Constitutional Convention he will be able to do anything the eff he wants. Keep up.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 02:02 PM   #2639
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
except he can't do anything, its up to Congress.

Presidents influence Congress -- or legislative priorities if you prefer -- that's a rather long-standing accepted reality (or at least I thought it was).

Me? I'm just happy someone with a rather sizable pulpit is willing to speak against such an abominable & utterly indefensible piece of legislation. You're free to be unhappy about it if you so choose.
Old 02-24-2017, 02:08 PM   #2640
kingfc22
Head Coach

Next achievement unlocked on the Dictatorship Checklist: Ban the Media

Last edited by kingfc22 : 02-24-2017 at 02:09 PM.
kingfc22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 02:14 PM   #2641
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post

Spicey needs his safe space.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 02:15 PM   #2642
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post

Counting down for the inevitable posts about how this is exactly the same as what Obama did to Fox News and we're all hypocrites for not complaining about it then.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 02:53 PM   #2643
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Presidents influence Congress -- or legislative priorities if you prefer -- that's a rather long-standing accepted reality (or at least I thought it was).

Me? I'm just happy someone with a rather sizable pulpit is willing to speak against such an abominable & utterly indefensible piece of legislation. You're free to be unhappy about it if you so choose.

If you strike this down, single payer will become more powerful than you can possibly imagine.
Old 02-24-2017, 03:42 PM   #2644
Easy Mac

So who else here has made some big money as a paid protester? So far I've made $11k in just over a month.

Just putting this here so that it hopefully ends up in search results for conspiracy searchers
Old 02-24-2017, 03:53 PM   #2645
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Just putting this here so that it hopefully ends up in search results for conspiracy searchers
Old 02-24-2017, 03:57 PM   #2646
SteveM58
Mascot

Quote:
So who else here has made some big money as a paid protester? So far I've made $11k in just over a month.

Am paid protester
SteveM58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 04:03 PM   #2647
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:

Exactly what I'd expect from a paid protester.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 04:06 PM   #2648
Kodos
Resident Alien

Easy money!
Old 02-24-2017, 06:50 PM   #2649
Easy Mac

It's actually hard. I've had to travel to 7 different states. It's actually cost me 13k just for travel and rooms. Good thing I don't have a full time job outside of this. And since it's slush money, no taxes, so I get to keep my Obamacare/phone/WIC/stamps/disabilty/unemployment/madeupstuff.

again, this is for Wayne LaPierre's eyes
Old 02-24-2017, 06:56 PM   #2650
Easy Mac

Quote:
Exactly what I'd expect from a paid protester.

Or is that exactly what you'd expect from someone pretending to be a paid protester.