Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-06-2024, 12:59 PM   #3401
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I am not sure how many of you have been tracking the fact that. in the Oxford High School mass shooting, where a student killed four other students back in November 2021, the local prosecutor brought involuntary manslaughter charges against both parents in connection with the shootings.

The parents are having separate trials and the jury just found the mother guilty of involuntary manslaughter. It's the first time ever that a parent has been held criminally responsible for a school shooting by their child.

The father's trial is next month.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 01:49 PM   #3402
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I am not sure how many of you have been tracking the fact that. in the Oxford High School mass shooting, where a student killed four other students back in November 2021, the local prosecutor brought involuntary manslaughter charges against both parents in connection with the shootings.

The parents are having separate trials and the jury just found the mother guilty of involuntary manslaughter. It's the first time ever that a parent has been held criminally responsible for a school shooting by their child.

reminds me of an episode of The Practice
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 01:50 PM   #3403
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post

can you give us a summary of why such a thing was charged? Did she encourage her kid to do it? Provide the gun etc?
Old 02-06-2024, 02:04 PM   #3404
miked
College Starter

They ruled that she was grossly negligent in preventing this. She had received warnings from the school, her son himself, and others that he had severe mental issues. They brought people to testify that she was too busy having an affair to make sure he was getting help and keeping away from guns.

The dad is even more screwed because he bought the guns for the kid and did not lock them up.
Old 02-06-2024, 02:05 PM   #3405
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
can you give us a summary of why such a thing was charged? Did she encourage her kid to do it? Provide the gun etc?
Gross negligence. She had many warnings and she did nothing. Well, except buy him guns.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 02:25 PM   #3406
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
They ruled that she was grossly negligent in preventing this. She had received warnings from the school, her son himself, and others that he had severe mental issues. They brought people to testify that she was too busy having an affair to make sure he was getting help and keeping away from guns.

The dad is even more screwed because he bought the guns for the kid and did not lock them up.

bought guns FOR the kid?????

I mean everyone has mental issues but violent issues are the thing.
Old 02-06-2024, 02:35 PM   #3407
miked
College Starter

Quote:
bought guns FOR the kid?????

I mean everyone has mental issues but violent issues are the thing.

Here is the quote from the story (after the whole him texting her for help and she laughed it off).

Quote:
Finally, the prosecution highlighted her inaction in a meeting with school employees the day of the shooting. That morning, a teacher found a drawing from Ethan showing a gun and a person bleeding along with the phrases “the thoughts won’t stop help me,” “blood everywhere” and “my life is useless.” The Crumbleys were called into school for a meeting, and a school counselor testified he recommended the parents take their son home from school to get immediate mental health treatment.

The Crumbleys declined to do so that day because they didn’t want to miss work, the counselor testified, so the group agreed to keep Ethan in school for the rest of the day. They also did not mention to school employees that they had just purchased him a new gun or his previous hallucinatory texts. Shortly after the meeting, the teenager took a firearm out of his backpack and opened fire on classmates, killing Hana St. Juliana, Tate Myre, Madisyn Baldwin and Justin Shilling.

She took him to the firing range the day before and even posted about his new present.

Last edited by miked : 02-06-2024 at 02:36 PM.
miked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 02:42 PM   #3408
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

okay fucking send them away for life
Old 02-06-2024, 04:35 PM   #3409
RainMaker
General Manager

They did this near me too after the Highland Park shooting. In this instance, the father sponsored his kids application for an AR15. The son had made repeated threats to commit mass murder that the father knew about.

He reached a plea agreement. I know legal folks were not sure if they could get a conviction on the more serious charges. Kind of new territory here.

Access Denied

The guy is a huge piece of shit who wore a shirt to court that said "Political Pawn". He was known prior in the neighborhood for trying to run for Mayor as a MAGA candidate and blaming his failing business on everyone else. He filed for bankruptcy so he won't have to pay out civil suits. Hopefully he gets sideswiped by a semi.

Last edited by RainMaker : 02-06-2024 at 04:38 PM.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 04:15 PM   #3410
GrantDawg

Shooter at the Megachurch of Joel Osteen. It was just as the Hispanic service was starting. Too early for any reporting. Doesn't sound like very many injured. The church mist likely has armed security.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
Old 02-11-2024, 04:17 PM   #3411
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

If someone shot Joel Osteen I'm going to assume that it was God's plan and leave it at that.
Old 02-11-2024, 06:01 PM   #3412
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

A megachurch with armed guards doesn't sound like a church
Old 02-11-2024, 09:35 PM   #3413
GrantDawg

The story seems to be that a woman came in with a long rifle with a 5-year-old in tow. She fired the rifle at the police who then fired and killed her and struck the 5-year-old. The kid is still alive and in the hospital. Suicide by cop I guess, but why at a church?

Old 02-12-2024, 06:12 AM   #3414
Edward64
Head Coach

Weird. More to come. Good thing there were a couple good guys with guns there.

Quote:
The shooter also threatened that she had a bomb, but authorities searched her vehicle and backpack and found no explosives, the Houston police chief said.

She was also spraying “some type of substance on the ground,” Finner said, but he did not share further details. Peña said fire authorities were on scene and were going to “take our time to ensure that any issue, any risk that we see is properly vetted.”
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 11:18 AM   #3415
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Being reported transgendered with a gun that said Palestine on it. The right is going to have a field day with this one
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 12:04 PM   #3416
Thomkal
Head Coach

have to say my mind was going toward more of a secret lover who got pregnant and then osteen wanted nothing to do with them, but hey transgender palestinian works too I guess.
Old 02-12-2024, 02:58 PM   #3417
GrantDawg

She was the biological mother of the kid that was shot, so unless they have made huge progress in sex change operations you have been had by right-wing media.

Old 02-12-2024, 05:16 PM   #3418
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:

Or particularly mega
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 05:37 PM   #3419
GrantDawg

Just a conservative church in the South. Don't know many congregations that don't have a Deacon openly packing since that mass shooting at the church in Nashville. The big churches can afford off-duty cops instead of Jim-Bob.

Old 02-13-2024, 01:50 AM   #3420
GrantDawg

The whole thing is a giant mess. It looks like this woman has had multiple arrests and the police have referred her to get psychological help in the past. Yet she was still allowed in December to purchase a gun. She hated Jews because her ex-husband was Jewish but for some reason she attacked a Christian church with whom she had no ties. The 5-year-old daughter from the early reports that was shot is actually her 7-year-old son.
So of course the only thing Right-wing media wants to talk about is the claim she is trans because she once went by a male name.

Old 02-13-2024, 05:59 AM   #3421
Edward64
Head Coach

More details on the shooting from DM. Additional stuff on her past.

There are a couple pic/video of inside the church. I had kinda assumed it was empty hallway or something vs during the actual session.

Female shooter Genesse Moreno at Joel Osteen's megachurch is 'schizophrenic, Munchausen-by-proxy' who LEGALLY purchased AR-15 despite being known to cops for mental illness | Daily Mail Online

Say what you want about DM, but they typically have more pics than MSM.

Last edited by Edward64 : 02-13-2024 at 06:00 AM.
Old 02-14-2024, 06:04 AM   #3422
Edward64
Head Coach

Per the article

1) 2 women return to one woman's apt
2) They break a window because they got locked out or something
3) Neighbor heard break window, calls police
4) Police shows up, see the broken window
5) Police knocks on door, identifies themselves
6) Police can see a woman coming to the door
7) Police says they saw the woman with a weapon. Article said weapon was found

8) Police starts shooting full clip at the woman through the window

This is a tough one. I can see both sides.

I think it boils down to how was the woman holding the weapon when approaching the door. Did she have it up in a firing position vs down by her side?

Quote:
Dramatic body camera video released of Texas officers shooting woman mistaken as intruder

https://abcnews.go.com/US/dramatic-b...y?id=107171359
Old 02-14-2024, 01:34 PM   #3423
RainMaker
General Manager

https://abcnews.go.com/US/deputy-fir...y?id=107229338
Old 02-14-2024, 01:50 PM   #3424
cuervo72
Head Coach

Along the lines of fainting for touching fentanyl.
Old 02-14-2024, 03:09 PM   #3425
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Yet another sports parade shooting
Old 02-14-2024, 03:23 PM   #3426
GrantDawg

What's a celebration in America without a mass shooting? Have to celebrate our freedom.

Old 02-14-2024, 04:08 PM   #3427
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Just one death? Unless the shooter has a racist manifesto this is hardly front page news in America.
Old 02-14-2024, 04:28 PM   #3428
RainMaker
General Manager

Nothing more American than football and mass shootings.
Old 02-14-2024, 06:24 PM   #3429
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

I actually don't go to mass gatherings anymore after Highland Park. Another piece of Americana lost to a slavish addiction to guns and bonkers interpretation of the 2nd Amendment.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 07:46 PM   #3430
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
I actually don't go to mass gatherings anymore after Highland Park. Another piece of Americana lost to a slavish addiction to guns and bonkers interpretation of the 2nd Amendment.

Same. I know it's not logical and it's still relatively safe, but I feel better going to places like grocery stores during slower hours too.

I feel bad for kids who now have that in the back of their mind. I never had to be worried about that stuff when I was a kid.
Old 02-14-2024, 08:17 PM   #3431
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Whenever I am at a large gathering or place I think a shooting could happen, which is pretty much anywhere, first thing I do is know where the closest exit is and formulate an escape plan.
Old 02-14-2024, 08:55 PM   #3432
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Nothing more American than football and mass shootings.

Do we know if the suspect or suspects were just observing the 6th anniversary of the Parkland shootings?

Yeah that happened six years ago today.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 09:50 PM   #3433
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post

my tired brain read this as "I don't go to mass shootings anymore..." and my tired brain wasn't phased by that at all. This is where I am...
Old 02-15-2024, 09:58 AM   #3434
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post

Squirrels have been tearing up my patio furniture to steal the stuffing for their nests. Nothing seems to deter them. Good to know the next time I see one I can just empty a clip at it and I'll be well within my rights.
Ghost Econ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 11:01 AM   #3435
cuervo72
Head Coach

Yeah, our neighborhood squirrels do that too. Of course right now half the stuffing is just out in the yard.
Old 02-15-2024, 12:11 PM   #3436
Kodos
Resident Alien

Does anyone else feel a little differently about black squirrels than they do about gray squirrels? We have one black squirrel that's been around for a while. I like that guy. I imagine red squirrels are viewed more favorably as well.

Am I a squirrel racist?

Last edited by Kodos : 02-15-2024 at 12:12 PM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 12:46 PM   #3437
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

black squirrel?

I think you are eating too many acorns.
Old 02-15-2024, 01:10 PM   #3438
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I have only seen black squirrels in Michigan when visiting family.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 01:15 PM   #3439
cuervo72
Head Coach

We have black squirrels, but they are only in one little area of town (that I know of). But yeah, they are cute little buggers. (I mean, we like squirrels in general -- when they stay out of our attic -- but the rarity, you know.)
Old 02-15-2024, 01:19 PM   #3440
Edward64
Head Coach

There are white squirrels in Asheville, NC
Old 02-15-2024, 01:21 PM   #3441
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

We call them hipsters
Ghost Econ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 01:37 PM   #3442
RainMaker
General Manager

Chiefs' Trey Smith shares WWE belt with boy after parade shooting - ESPN
Old 02-15-2024, 03:22 PM   #3443
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Econ View Post
We call them hipsters

Missed opportunity to call them chipsters.
Old 02-15-2024, 03:24 PM   #3444
Kodos
Resident Alien

I bet squirrels get pissed off when they get compared to chipmunks.
Old 02-15-2024, 03:26 PM   #3445
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

This is quite a thread-jack
Old 02-15-2024, 06:26 PM   #3446
Silver Owl
High School JV

Quote:
my tired brain read this as "I don't go to mass shootings anymore..." and my tired brain wasn't phased by that at all. This is where I am...

I read it the same way and was thinking thats strange, people actually go to mass shooting sites.
I didn't realize what it actually said until I saw this and thought that makes a lot more sense.
Silver Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 06:31 PM   #3447
Silver Owl
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
We have black squirrels, but they are only in one little area of town (that I know of). But yeah, they are cute little buggers. (I mean, we like squirrels in general -- when they stay out of our attic -- but the rarity, you know.)

We have quite a few around my neighborhood.
Silver Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 06:50 PM   #3448
molson
General Manager

I love squirrels. I feed them, took care of an orphaned one a time or two.

Used to see black ones around Syracuse University all the time. They seemed bigger and less afraid of humans than the other ones.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2024, 10:10 AM   #3449
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:

I guarantee you that every church around here has armed guards - and they aren’t hired. I feel very comfortable going to churches here and I don’t own a gun. People that are raised around guns tend to be more responsible with them. I’ve lived in many places in this country and that has been my experience.
Old 02-17-2024, 11:06 AM   #3450
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
I guarantee you that every church around here has armed guards - and they aren’t hired. I feel very comfortable going to churches here and I don’t own a gun. People that are raised around guns tend to be more responsible with them. I’ve lived in many places in this country and that has been my experience.
I live in the same place with the same people, and I know plenty of people who were raised around guns that are morons. As a matter of fact, the more certain gun owners fetishize guns, the more likely they are to pull then out in situations where they are not necessary. Their deep desire to be the "good guy with a gun" and be able to shoot someone "bad" scares the living crap out of me when I am around them, and I grew up with guns. I got my first shotgun at 10, and rifle at 12.