Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-11-2023, 08:24 PM   #3001
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Like I said, mass shootings are the new America's pasttime. If he was alive, we could get him to sign it with a certificate of authenticity. Maybe PSA could grade it too.

Bah, everybody has beaten me to the Harlan Crow joke.
Old 04-11-2023, 08:29 PM   #3002
cuervo72
Head Coach

Oh, and the water bottle thing is probably just setting the table for justifying the shooting of protesters if they throw frozen water bottles.
Old 04-11-2023, 08:44 PM   #3003
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Further justification for not being allowed to hand out bottles of water to voters in line to vote. Checkmate libs
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 10:07 PM   #3004
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Further justification for not being allowed to hand out bottles of water to voters in line to vote. Checkmate libs

They should hand out guns to voters standing in line
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2023, 02:49 PM   #3005
RainMaker
General Manager

In a normal country, this would involve CPS.

RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2023, 08:03 PM   #3006
miami_fan
Coordinator

Question about gun law. With states going to permit less carry laws, does that mean there is no longer a distinction between legal and illegal gun ownership?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 05:03 AM   #3007
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Question about gun law. With states going to permit less carry laws, does that mean there is no longer a distinction between legal and illegal gun ownership?

Seems like the issue will be pretty black and white.
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 06:17 PM   #3008
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

So why aren't we giving guns to teenagers?

https://apnews.com/article/dadeville...71eaee7febb161
Old 04-16-2023, 06:26 PM   #3009
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
The shootings rocked the city of 3,200 residents, which is about 57 miles (92 kilometers) northeast of Montgomery, Alabama.

Weird. The GOP and Fox news tell me these incidents only happen in the democratic run cities.
Old 04-16-2023, 07:40 PM   #3010
cuervo72
Head Coach

At some point this will have to happen enough times in their own communities that enough of them get tired of it, right?
Old 04-17-2023, 07:43 AM   #3011
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:

Not sure if I'm missing a nuance here but I don't see how?

You still need to acquire the weapon legally. Regardless if you carry or not, with or without a permit, you still need to acquire the weapon legally.

There's the gun show loophole, and another with passing firearms to family & friends without a background check. But those loopholes existed before the more recent lax (okay, non existent) carry regulations.

Last edited by Edward64 : 04-17-2023 at 07:44 AM.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2023, 12:13 PM   #3012
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post

You still need to acquire the weapon legally. Regardless if you carry or not, with or without a permit, you still need to acquire the weapon legally.

There's the gun show loophole, and another with passing firearms to family & friends without a background check. But those loopholes existed before the more recent lax (okay, non existent) carry regulations.

What does "acquire the weapon legally" mean though? If I have a weapon, what is the tell that I did not acquired the weapon legally? No one outside of the military has ever asked for proof of purchase for the weapons I own though I do have them or whether there was a three day wait in between purchase and delivery.

The reason I ask is based on conversations I had with a friend who used to work in law enforcement regarding the permit less carry laws. He was saying that the one of the triggers (no pun intended) to investigate whether a weapon was acquired legally was whether it was registered to the possessor and/or if the possessor had a permit. With both those things now off the books at least here in Florida, I was just curious as to what the distinction was in both a legal and practical sense in what is legal and what is illegal.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 04-17-2023, 12:16 PM   #3013
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:

Without backgrounds checks or closing the gun show loophole as long as you are white there is realistically no difference. Trying to define getting a gun illegally is a lot harder to define is all I will say.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2023, 01:48 PM   #3014
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
What does "acquire the weapon legally" mean though? If I have a weapon, what is the tell that I did not acquired the weapon legally? No one outside of the military has ever asked for proof of purchase for the weapons I own though I do have them or whether there was a three day wait in between purchase and delivery.

In GA at least, you need to pass a background check to buy a gun (loopholes notwithstanding). There's an age limitation and if you are a felon.

Quote:
Q: What is required to purchase a firearm in the state of Georgia?
A: You will need a valid state-issued ID. Many Federal Firearms Licensees will not transfer long guns to out-of-state residents. This is due to the Federal Firearms Licensee?s requirement to uphold your resident state?s gun laws, and the inherent complexity associated with many states. Federal Firearms Licensee?s are prohibited by federal law from transferring hand guns to out-of-state residents.

Q: Do I have to pass a background check when purchasing a firearm from a Dealer?
A: You will be required to pass a background check when purchasing a firearm from a dealer. However, if you possess a valid Georgia Weapons License, your Georgia Weapons License will suffice as your background check. You will be required to show your state issued ID and your Georgia Weapons License in order to avoid the background check. Some firearms businesses may require a background check even if you have a GWL but it is not required by law. It is instead the business’ practices.

The 2 loopholes I can think of are 1) gun shows 2) transferring weapons as gifts.

However, these 2 loopholes existed long before GA didn't need a carry license. Therefore, from how I understand your question, the carry issue didn't cause the issue of "legal or illegal gun ownership".

Quote:
The reason I ask is based on conversations I had with a friend who used to work in law enforcement regarding the permit less carry laws. He was saying that the one of the triggers (no pun intended) to investigate whether a weapon was acquired legally was whether it was registered to the possessor and/or if the possessor had a permit. With both those things now off the books at least here in Florida, I was just curious as to what the distinction was in both a legal and practical sense in what is legal and what is illegal.

IMO, I'd say a trigger to investigate is if the person/weapon was suspected of a criminal activity?

With that said, I am not an advocate of open carry in urban areas. I can rationalize that out in the Montana boonies etc. but no reason at Krogers. I do support concealed carry with a permit ... but that is not where we are in GA.

May have shared this story previously. I was walking into my Kroger and there was a guy with an open carry, holstered weapon on his belt putting the groceries into the trunk. Perfectly "normal" looking guy, just wanted to express his new found rights I guess. I've encountered that several more times now but that was the first time.
Old 04-17-2023, 03:13 PM   #3015
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
IMO, I'd say a trigger to investigate is if the person/weapon was suspected of a criminal activity?

So you have not been asked to provide a permit for the weapon in your vehicle, huh?
Old 04-17-2023, 03:29 PM   #3016
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

We had a guy walking his dog in our neighborhood holstered up a few weeks ago. I'm pretty sure he brought the gun instead of a bag to pick up his dog's shit because, you know, who's going to be stupid enough to confront an armed dog walker about not picking up the poop in the yard?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 04-17-2023 at 03:30 PM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2023, 03:33 PM   #3017
RainMaker
General Manager

When I was traveling, I saw a guy at a Panda Express with what I think was an AR-15 on his back. I just don't get how terrified some people are of the world.
Old 04-17-2023, 04:07 PM   #3018
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
So you have not been asked to provide a permit for the weapon in your vehicle, huh?

Not sure I understand your questioning but taking it on face value ...

In GA, I do not need to have a gun permit nor do I need a carry license. I just need to purchase the weapon legally e.g. buy at gun store, they do a background check, and I'm out the door in < 30 min or so.

When I've bought a weapon and took it home, or when I go to a gun range, I always have the weapon in the trunk. I've not been stopped for speeding or anything since college days but don't think it's SOP for police to ask unless they felt they had a reason to.

If I was stopped for speeding, per GA law, I don't need to volunteer that I have a weapon on me, trunk, glove compartment etc. But if I had the weapon case visible in the passenger side or holstered to my belt, I would make darn sure my hands were on the steering wheel, volunteer the info anyway (just smart thing to do), and comply with any police request.

The bottom line. You do not need to volunteer any information. But comply with instructions & answer any questions from the police in any situation (regardless if you have a gun in the car) ... without smart mouthing or any sudden movements.

Additional note. When I was in Arkansas for college, it was a normal to see shotguns and hunting rifles in a gun rack in a truck. College buddies and I would have our weapons in the car when we went shooting. We kept the weapons on campus (I believe that was allowed or at least not enforced).

Last edited by Edward64 : 04-17-2023 at 04:11 PM.
Old 04-17-2023, 10:08 PM   #3019
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Not sure I understand your questioning but taking it on face value ...

In GA, I do not need to have a gun permit nor do I need a carry license. I just need to purchase the weapon legally e.g. buy at gun store, they do a background check, and I'm out the door in < 30 min or so.

It is a sincere question. You have outlined a gun purchase process in GA. Let's put it this way. There is no requirement for a gun permit, a carry license or a background check to carry the weapon. There is also no requirement that a person purchase a weapon from a licensed gun dealer which is the only place required to do background checks so there is really no requirement for a background check if you don't want to have one done. All those things at one point in time were the distinctions that made gun purchases legal and not doing those things or having those things in place made gun purchases illegal. It seems to me the only distinction between a legal and illegal gun purchase now is if I insist on purchasing a gun from a licensed gun dealer but I do not get a background check. However that does not seem to be a case of me breaking the law, that seems to be a case of the licensed dealer breaking the law. I am not saying that getting rid of the concealed carry permit removed the distinction entirely But with it gone, I just don't know how the authorities go about making the distinction.

Quote:
When I've bought a weapon and took it home, or when I go to a gun range, I always have the weapon in the trunk. I've not been stopped for speeding or anything since college days but don't think it's SOP for police to ask unless they felt they had a reason to.

If I was stopped for speeding, per GA law, I don't need to volunteer that I have a weapon on me, trunk, glove compartment etc. But if I had the weapon case visible in the passenger side or holstered to my belt, I would make darn sure my hands were on the steering wheel, volunteer the info anyway (just smart thing to do), and comply with any police request.

The bottom line. You do not need to volunteer any information. But comply with instructions & answer any questions from the police in any situation (regardless if you have a gun in the car) ... without smart mouthing or any sudden movements.

Additional note. When I was in Arkansas for college, it was a normal to see shotguns and hunting rifles in a gun rack in a truck. College buddies and I would have our weapons in the car when we went shooting. We kept the weapons on campus (I believe that was allowed or at least not enforced).

I can't speak to whatever the SOP for the police are supposed to be in those situations. About ten years ago, Panama City Beach police asked me if I had a gun in the car during a traffic stop. I don't know if I had the right to not volunteer the information. I do know that for someone that looks me, not volunteering that information is not right. I said yes and I asked to show my gun permit which I did. I asked out legal center on base if that was legal, they said yes the police are allowed to make sure you are legally allowed to carry the gun.
Old 04-17-2023, 10:59 PM   #3020
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
I can't speak to whatever the SOP for the police are supposed to be in those situations. About ten years ago, Panama City Beach police asked me if I had a gun in the car during a traffic stop. I don't know if I had the right to not volunteer the information. I do know that for someone that looks me, not volunteering that information is not right.
I make a distinction between volunteering and answering a question.

Yeah, don't know what the FL rules were back then about volunteering. But think you have an obligation to answer the question if posed by a LEO. If you do not answer the question, the LEO has every right to be suspicious.

Quote:
I said yes and I asked to show my gun permit which I did. I asked out legal center on base if that was legal, they said yes the police are allowed to make sure you are legally allowed to carry the gun.
I think I see your point.

According to below, up to 22% of gun sales or transfers in the 2 year period were done without background check.

PolitiFact | What percentage of gun sales are done without a background check?
Quote:
22 percent overall said they obtained the guns without a background check. But that includes guns that were purchased or received in another way, such as through a gift or an inheritance.

13 percent who purchased firearms -- for example, from a friend or online -- said they had done so without a background check.

So if you were in the 22%, how would a LEO determine if your weapon was legally acquired or not.

Great question, didn't think about that angle. I don't know if they really can easily as there is not a 100% database due to the loopholes.

I think the rebuttal from the NRA is why do LEOs need to determine if your weapons was legally acquired or not if you are not under suspicion (e.g. normal traffic stop would not fall under that category).

If you are under suspicion, I think they would try to trace the chain of ownership which admittedly would be difficult if it went through private sale(s). Start with the serial # and then trace from there.

Last edited by Edward64 : 04-17-2023 at 11:11 PM.
Old 04-18-2023, 06:52 AM   #3021
Ksyrup

Hey look, another good guy with a gun!

Kaylin Gillis: A 20-year-old woman was shot and killed in upstate New York after accidentally turning into the wrong driveway, officials say | CNN
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 04-18-2023, 08:34 AM   #3022
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
When I was traveling, I saw a guy at a Panda Express with what I think was an AR-15 on his back. I just don't get how terrified some people are of the world.

Literally inside a Panda Express strapped with an AR-15?
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2023, 08:47 AM   #3023
HerRealName
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post

I left a dog park Saturday because there was a guy walking around with an AR strapped behind him. I'll never understand it.
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2023, 10:40 AM   #3024
BYU 14
Coordinator

SMH, I can't imagine being so insecure that I had to wear a literal combat rifle in public to show what a badass I am. "Hey look at me, exercising my 2A rights and keeping the poodles safe.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2023, 10:41 AM   #3025
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
I make a distinction between volunteering and answering a question.

Yeah, don't know what the FL rules were back then about volunteering. But think you have an obligation to answer the question if posed by a LEO. If you do not answer the question, the LEO has every right to be suspicious.

I think I see your point.

According to below, up to 22% of gun sales or transfers in the 2 year period were done without background check.

PolitiFact | What percentage of gun sales are done without a background check?

So if you were in the 22%, how would a LEO determine if your weapon was legally acquired or not.

Great question, didn't think about that angle. I don't know if they really can easily as there is not a 100% database due to the loopholes.

I think the rebuttal from the NRA is why do LEOs need to determine if your weapons was legally acquired or not if you are not under suspicion (e.g. normal traffic stop would not fall under that category).

If you are under suspicion, I think they would try to trace the chain of ownership which admittedly would be difficult if it went through private sale(s). Start with the serial # and then trace from there.

So 22% of Guns sales is approximately 4.6 million guns per year. Yikes.
Old 04-18-2023, 11:59 AM   #3026
bryce
High School Varsity

very similar to this story:

White Kansas City man, 84, charged for shooting Black teen who went to wrong house | Reuters
bryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2023, 01:18 PM   #3027
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
So 22% of Guns sales is approximately 4.6 million guns per year. Yikes.

Per the article, I believe it was family/friend transfer + gun sales = 22%.

If just gun sales, it was 13%. So from a Forbes article ...

Quote:
Americans bought about 19.9 million firearms last year (2021), down 12.5% from 2020, according to one industry estimate — but 2021 was still the industry’s second-busiest year on record, as politics and public health continue to drive interest in owning guns.

Approx 19.9M x 13% = 2.6M gun sales occurred in 2021 without a background check

Obviously, still a very significant number.
Old 04-18-2023, 02:11 PM   #3028
miami_fan
Coordinator

[quote=Edward64;3398930

If you are under suspicion, I think they would try to trace the chain of ownership which admittedly would be difficult if it went through private sale(s). Start with the serial # and then trace from there.[/QUOTE]

If we take away the means to determine if weapons are legally acquired or not, it makes no difference if you are under suspicion or not. If there is no way to determine if it was legally acquired or not, there is no distinction between legal or illegal gun purchase as far as I can tell.

If we have decided that we either can not make that determination without infringing on the 2nd amendment or we no longer have any interest in making that determination for whatever reason, it is what it is. I just don't see a legitimate reason to attempt to make the distinction at this point.
Old 04-18-2023, 02:45 PM   #3029
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
If we take away the means to determine if weapons are legally acquired or not, it makes no difference if you are under suspicion or not. If there is no way to determine if it was legally acquired or not, there is no distinction between legal or illegal gun purchase as far as I can tell.
I don't agree with your premise. The means to determine if a weapon are legally acquired or not still exists, it has not been removed/taken away.

Using Politifact metrics, for at least 78-87% it is relatively easy as the background check exist. For the other 13-22%, it is more difficult. It is not instantaneous (e.g. cop calling it in after a car was stopped) but it can still be done for some of the 13-22%.

Quote:
If we have decided that we either can not make that determination without infringing on the 2nd amendment or we no longer have any interest in making that determination for whatever reason, it is what it is. I just don't see a legitimate reason to attempt to make the distinction at this point.
I assume you are referring the NRA as believing background checks infringe on the 2nd amendment? (can't think of anyone else that may believe background checks infringes)

I'm not a card carrying NRA and don't bother studying their materials. But from what I remember, the NRA supports background check but does not support expanded background checks. So they are happy with status quo (e.g. gun show and family/friend transfer) and the 13-22% that gets to buy/sell/transfer weapons without a background check.
Old 04-19-2023, 12:01 AM   #3030
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post

Yeah, just waiting in line. It was on my way out East in Ohio. Think Youngstown or something like that. Was awhile ago and I think a lot of chains now have no guns allowed signs out front.
Old 04-19-2023, 12:02 AM   #3031
RainMaker
General Manager

Feels like we're going to have a rough time as a generation of folks who grew up huffing lead paint are armed to the teeth and being told to be terrified of everything.
Old 04-19-2023, 01:54 AM   #3032
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:

So you stopped in for some General Tso's Clickin'?
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2023, 06:26 AM   #3033
HerRealName
College Prospect

Scary cheerleaders require deadly force.

https://abc13.com/woodlands-elite-ch...sted/13150502/
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2023, 06:34 AM   #3034
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Was there ever a doubt this would be the result of these disastrous laws? Or lack of laws.
Old 04-19-2023, 07:06 AM   #3035
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Got to protect the real victims of gun violence...
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2023, 07:20 AM   #3036
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Per the article, I believe it was family/friend transfer + gun sales = 22%.

If just gun sales, it was 13%. So from a Forbes article ...

Approx 19.9M x 13% = 2.6M gun sales occurred in 2021 without a background check

Obviously, still a very significant number.

Whether actual money sale or family/ friend transfer to me still is the same. IMHO. YMMV.
Old 04-19-2023, 10:18 AM   #3037
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
So you stopped in for some General Tso's Clickin'?

They don’t offer that dish.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2023, 10:44 AM   #3038
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Guys!

I pulled in to my driveway today and a guy got out of his truck that was parked in front of my house. He wanted to give me a card for his power washing business and I didn't shoot him!! Go me!!
Old 04-19-2023, 10:54 AM   #3039
Kodos
Resident Alien

I hope you at least stood your ground.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2023, 11:38 AM   #3040
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
I pulled in to my driveway today and a guy got out of his truck that was parked in front of my house. He wanted to give me a card for his power washing business and I didn't shoot him!! Go me!!

While I am amazed at your restraint, this person could have posed a threat to your life and I cannot imagine being so foolish as to not meet them with lethal force the moment they take a step towards me.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2023, 11:41 AM   #3041
Ksyrup

Shoot first, sign up for lawn care later, I always say.
Old 04-19-2023, 12:19 PM   #3042
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

oh. I forgot to mention he was dark skinned in my town that is 92.6% white. We dont really have "those people" here.
Old 04-19-2023, 12:19 PM   #3043
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Guys!

what a role model you are Lathum!
Old 04-19-2023, 12:49 PM   #3044
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
oh. I forgot to mention he was dark skinned in my town that is 92.6% white. We dont really have "those people" here.

what? lawncare people? They are everywhere! Hate those fuckers. Especially those guys that go up to houses and say "That tree in your back yard is dead. Let us cut it down for you!"
Old 04-19-2023, 12:49 PM   #3045
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
I hope you at least stood your ground.

Oh man. STOOD your ground. I keep getting it wrong. I SHOOT my ground.
Old 04-19-2023, 12:59 PM   #3046
Edward64
Head Coach

It was Covid when lawncare & other folks would ring/knock and step back from the door, like down my 2 steps. In retrospect, this is probably the safest thing to do nowadays.
Old 04-19-2023, 01:07 PM   #3047
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Um....just what IS power washing? Is that like taking really intsense showers?
Old 04-19-2023, 01:17 PM   #3048
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:

Ping: Scott Adams
Old 04-19-2023, 01:25 PM   #3049
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
So why aren't we giving guns to teenagers?

https://apnews.com/article/dadeville...71eaee7febb161

Or maybe there's a couple of teens who shouldn't have guns.

2 teens face murder charges for the Sweet 16 party massacre that left 4 dead and 32 injured, Alabama police say
Old 04-19-2023, 01:51 PM   #3050
RainMaker
General Manager

Well armed militia protecting us from high school cheerleaders.

https://abc13.com/woodlands-elite-ch...sted/13150502/