Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-08-2023, 10:17 AM   #3151
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

dola- the craziest thing about it was my kids were 5 and 8 at the time. The 8 year old actually went up to them one day and told them they don't want to spend time with them because the TV they watch is scary.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 10:18 AM   #3152
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
They won't change. You won't change them. I'd just accept it and minimize any unnecessary contacts with them.

Out of curiosity, what's their take on the Dominion payout?

This is what I do, just accept it. We see them often and just don't talk politics. I would NEVER ask about Dominion, especially my MIL. My FIL is a bit more rational and has backed away from Trump because of the election nonsense, although I suspect if it comes down to it he will vote for him again.
Old 05-08-2023, 10:32 AM   #3153
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Fox News would be a provocation if I did that.

Hit 'em with the classic: "My house, my rules."
Old 05-08-2023, 10:55 AM   #3154
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Congratulations on being the adult in the room

Your parents and in-laws would drive me crazy. They won't change. You won't change them. I'd just accept it and minimize any unnecessary contacts with them.

Out of curiosity, what's their take on the Dominion payout?

Haven't discussed it. The only reason I got to hear her take on the shootings was because I put NBC nightly news on. I try to steer clear of any politics-related stuff.

Even with my parents in TX, they mentioned the Allen shooting, and before that the Louisville shooting, like it's unbelievable all this is happening without a word about why. Which, in hindsight, is better than my MIL's commentary. But I have a call with them this afternoon so we'll see if it comes up again.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 11:27 AM   #3155
cuervo72
Head Coach

You should ask them why border crossings are scary if we already have daily mass shootings. How more dangerous are these folks going to be?
Old 05-08-2023, 01:18 PM   #3156
BYU 14
Coordinator

None of this is real guys, though I think an Assult Car may be a French sports coupe??

Last edited by BYU 14 : 05-08-2023 at 01:19 PM.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 01:25 PM   #3157
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
None of this is real guys, though I think an Assult Car may be a French sports coupe??

I love how they keep going back to vehicles, which are regulated infinitely more than guns, require training, and require licensing with a minimum age limit.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 01:48 PM   #3158
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Econ View Post
I've already been told he's an illegal gang member with gang tattoos and is part of a cartel and we need to close the border

To me this isn't much different than holocaust denial. Just creating your own reality to defend people you share common beliefs with.

Anyway, here are his gang tattoos.

RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 03:10 PM   #3159
RainMaker
General Manager

If he had survived he would probably have gotten a pardon from Abbott.
Old 05-08-2023, 03:24 PM   #3160
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
If he had survived he would probably have gotten a pardon from Abbott.

Not with the last name Garcia and parents that don't speak English.
Old 05-08-2023, 03:46 PM   #3161
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
This is another favored tactic by the gun nuts. You can't ban "assault weapons" because you can't define what they are.

I also saw a new one the other day talking about how the .223 is among the smallest calibers and what they are trying to ban is "least lethal" caliber. It was among the highest level of ignorance I ever saw of a gun nut, and that is saying something.

GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 04:57 PM   #3162
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

The gun nuts have no real argument so it is all deflection and trying to invalidate the other side on semantics.
Old 05-08-2023, 05:02 PM   #3163
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

I mean, if someone designed a car for the sole purpose of killing people, it would be illegal, they'd very likely be arrested and the car confiscated/destroyed.

If someone created a pencil in such a way that it's only purpose was to kill someone, it would be illegal, they'd very likely be arrested, and the pencil would be confiscated/destroyed.

The isn't rocket science. If we get rid of specific types of guns that don't need to exist in civil society, of course it will be harder for good guys to get them... but it makes it even harder for bad guys to get them. We don't let good guys buy RPGs... and guess what, we don't have bad guys launching RPGs at malls and schools.
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 05:04 PM   #3164
GrantDawg

Quote:
I mean, if someone designed a car for the sole purpose of killing people, it would be illegal, they'd very likely be arrested and the car confiscated/destroyed.

If someone created a pencil in such a way that it's only purpose was to kill someone, it would be illegal, they'd very likely be arrested, and the pencil would be confiscated/destroyed.

The isn't rocket science. If we get rid of specific types of guns that don't need to exist in civil society, of course it will be harder for good guys to get them... but it makes it even harder for bad guys to get them. We don't let good guys buy RPGs... and guess what, we don't have bad guys launching RPGs at malls and schools.
The problem is true gun nuts think they should be allowed to have RPG's.
Old 05-08-2023, 05:08 PM   #3165
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
This is another favored tactic by the gun nuts. You can't ban "assault weapons" because you can't define what they are.

I agree with the "gun nuts" on this one. Laws should be explicit and open to as little interpretation as possible. People should know where the line between legal and illegal is.

And "Assault Weapon" is a vague term. If you want to ban that "style" of weapon then talk about banning pistol grips and limiting the size of the magazine.
Old 05-08-2023, 05:13 PM   #3166
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
To me this isn't much different than holocaust denial. Just creating your own reality to defend people you share common beliefs with.

Anyway, here are his gang tattoos.

You'd think with a name like "Mauricio Garcia" you wouldn't be welcomed in many neo-nazi circles. I wonder how he became enamored with that garbage.
Old 05-08-2023, 05:17 PM   #3167
Ksyrup

That's what led to my MIL's comment yesterday about him probably being illegal. I heard the name and then they described him as a white supremacist and I half-jokingly said "He must have found the most welcoming white supremacist group in the country, or they were really hard up for members."
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 05-08-2023, 05:25 PM   #3168
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Not with the last name Garcia and parents that don't speak English.

But 6 of the victims were minorities. That would have helped his chances.
Old 05-08-2023, 05:27 PM   #3169
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
I agree with the "gun nuts" on this one. Laws should be explicit and open to as little interpretation as possible. People should know where the line between legal and illegal is.

And "Assault Weapon" is a vague term. If you want to ban that "style" of weapon then talk about banning pistol grips and limiting the size of the magazine.

There's never been an assault weapons ban. There have been bans of specific models and or capabilities.
Old 05-08-2023, 05:33 PM   #3170
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
You'd think with a name like "Mauricio Garcia" you wouldn't be welcomed in many neo-nazi circles. I wonder how he became enamored with that garbage.

The leader of the Proud Boys is afro-cuban. The groyper guy is Mexican. It's a lot more common than you think.

Remember that this isn't all just about white supremacy, it's about fascism too. The whole RWDS patch that the Proud Boys and this guy wore is from their love of Pinochet. The Proud Boys sell it on their site.

He was even open about that decision online.

Old 05-08-2023, 05:35 PM   #3171
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:

From the 1994 Assault Weapons ban

Federal Assault Weapons Ban - Wikipedia
Quote:
The Public Safety and Recreational Firearms Use Protection Act, popularly known as the Federal Assault Weapons Ban (AWB), was a subsection of the Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act of 1994, a United States federal law which included a prohibition on the manufacture for civilian use of certain semi-automatic firearms that were defined as assault weapons as well as certain ammunition magazines that were defined as large capacity.
Start with the 1994 definition and fine-tune as needed

Quote:
Under the Assault Weapons Ban of 1994, the definition of "semi-automatic assault weapon" ("SAW") (commonly shortened to "assault weapon") included specific semi-automatic firearm models by name, and other semi-automatic firearms that possessed two or more from a set certain features:[19]
Quote:
Semi-automatic rifles able to accept detachable magazines and has two or more of the following:
  • Folding or telescoping stock
  • Pistol grip
  • Bayonet mount
  • Flash hider or threaded barrel designed to accommodate one
  • Grenade launcher
  • Semi-automatic pistols with detachable magazines and two or more of the following:
  • Magazine that attaches outside the pistol grip
  • Threaded barrel to attach barrel extender, flash suppressor, handgrip, or suppressor
  • Barrel shroud safety feature that prevents burns to the operator
  • A manufactured weight of 50 ounces (1.41kg) or more when the pistol is unloaded
  • A semi-automatic version of a fully automatic firearm.
  • Semi-automatic shotguns with two or more of the following:
  • Folding or telescoping stock
  • Pistol grip
  • A fixed magazine capacity in excess of 5 rounds
  • Detachable magazine.
The law also categorically banned the following makes and models of semi-automatic firearms and any copies or duplicates of them, in any caliber:

Last edited by Edward64 : 05-08-2023 at 05:35 PM.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 05:37 PM   #3172
Ksyrup

I'm assuming this is accurate but it's from social media, so...

Old 05-08-2023, 05:54 PM   #3173
GrantDawg

A guy I knew in high school joined a skinhead group. He was half Jewish. He was the first one to get violent at any chance. That was until they tried to jump some black guys, and one of them took his bat off him. He was two weeks in the hospital. Suddenly, he was no longer as radical.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
Old 05-08-2023, 06:37 PM   #3174
RainMaker
General Manager

I would ban the weapon that is being used in every single one of these mass shootings.
Old 05-08-2023, 08:00 PM   #3175
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
The leader of the Proud Boys is afro-cuban. The groyper guy is Mexican. It's a lot more common than you think.

Remember that this isn't all just about white supremacy, it's about fascism too. The whole RWDS patch that the Proud Boys and this guy wore is from their love of Pinochet. The Proud Boys sell it on their site.

I just woek up and skimming and my brain thought that said Pinocchio.
And it was like...REALLY....The Proud boys like Pinocchio...
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 09:23 PM   #3176
RainMaker
General Manager

Old 05-08-2023, 10:04 PM   #3177
RainMaker
General Manager

I know it's morbid but if you're the Mother, do you even want to recover?
Old 05-08-2023, 10:24 PM   #3178
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:

I've heard the story many times that when one is critically ingured and the other dies the surviving one just gives yup and ends up dying too...
Old 05-08-2023, 10:27 PM   #3179
Atocep
Coordinator

It's interesting to me that the right really doesn't want this guy to be tied to neo-nazi's and white supremacists because that ties him to them. They're not debating that these groups aren't part of the right anymore. We've all just accepted that.
Old 05-08-2023, 10:31 PM   #3180
RainMaker
General Manager

And another boomer shooting at a child for the crime of playing hide and seek near him.

Old 05-08-2023, 11:16 PM   #3181
RainMaker
General Manager

Old 05-09-2023, 05:53 AM   #3182
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

That was my first thought and no. As a parent it’s easily your worst fear and to lose both there is zero chance I would want to go on.
Old 05-09-2023, 06:34 AM   #3183
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
That was my first thought and no. As a parent it’s easily your worst fear and to lose both there is zero chance I would want to go on.

In my high school...my senior year...I was doing a play...and at the cast party closing night...
There was a lot of excitement amongst the younger cast members about a guy named Stuart (who was a sophomore). And they were saying things like the coroner was in the auditence and got a call and had to leave, etc.

Something about a female classmate wanting to drive somewhere...like another town 20 miles away. and that she was driving or something.

The place later got a call and two of the adult women took it. They said "Stuart is gone". Apparently on gravel they flipped the car or something. He was one of two boys in that family...

A year later... I'm in college. Went back to visit one of my friends from a lower grade. Aaaaaand the OTHER boy...was in the play...and the mom said just a minute I'll take you. And he said no my friend is driving us...and she said no I'm going to take you and he said "Mom, don't do this..." and the mom let him go....

And later the Play director came into the dressing room and announced to the cast to cput their makeup down and come into the auditorium. He said that Duane...(the brother of the other kid that died) was in an accident on the way to the school. Another carflip incident or something. So unless someone else stepped up to take his role there would be nothing. Well they double cast shows so the altnight lead took his role by having a clipboard in his hand and reading his lines off that.

It was told to me when the cops arrived to tell her she was inconsolable ...
The second boy DID survive...but he could not walk. I saw him at college a year later with his friend as they were visiting someone else and he had those metal crutches to walk.

The mom it was said when seen in church just looked lost ... and always sad.

I didn't really know any of them much. But she did keep going but so much was taken away from her. Perhaps it was religion and spirituality that kept her going...or the hope of the son himself surviving.

A fliop story that the exwife of a friend of mine in Dayton. She had a boy. I met this kid once at this event we were putting on. He was a scrawny hyper kid of about 9 or 10 eating a loaded plate of a huge pile of roast beef. That's all I remember of him.

YEARS later when I was in Seattle I was talking to a mutual friend who told me the story of this kid and how he was murdered by a friend who bludgeoned him to death with a nintendo controller when he was about 17.
I looked up this article online. And it was a time machine as it had happened years ago. Was so weird. And the wife...after this she left dayton completely as there was nothing left there. She could not stay. There were too many memories.

So people need to do what they need to do to carry on.

It takes time.
Old 05-09-2023, 07:13 AM   #3184
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
And another boomer shooting at a child for the crime of playing hide and seek near him.

Too bad for him he didn't live one state over. Abbot would pardon him and throw him a parade.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 08:00 AM   #3185
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

All these guys have the same completely blank stare. It is almost as if binge watching FOX News has that effect.
Old 05-09-2023, 09:55 AM   #3186
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

So before he murdered a child, was he a good gun owner or a bad gun owner.

I'll wait offline for the white answer.
Old 05-09-2023, 10:49 AM   #3187
Thomkal
Head Coach

So the FBI has put out an ad on what do in and how to survive a mass shooting. Pretty chilling, but well done:

https://twitter.com/AdamParkhomenko/...69602549694464
Old 05-09-2023, 10:57 AM   #3188
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
So before he murdered a child, was he a good gun owner or a bad gun owner.

I'll wait offline for the white answer.

Thankfully the wound was none life threatening, but yes, your point remains.

The fear imbued into these guys by Fox and their ilk, turns them into gun zombies
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 12:19 PM   #3189
bryce
High School Varsity

If insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results, does continuing to do nothing at all and expecting different results qualify as insane?
bryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 12:29 PM   #3190
bryce
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
So the FBI has put out an ad on what do in and how to survive a mass shooting. Pretty chilling, but well done:

https://twitter.com/AdamParkhomenko/...69602549694464

I remember having tornado drills as a kid in school. Now, my 8 year old has active shooter drills at school. Just typing that...man, it's just...surreal, unreal, beyond ridiculous to be necessary.
Old 05-09-2023, 12:50 PM   #3191
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryce View Post
If insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results, does continuing to do nothing at all and expecting different results qualify as insane?

For the record, I think it's a horrible definition of insanity. Stubbornness or obstinance, sure, or, in this case, naked graft. But insanity would be like doing the same thing over and over and expecting, I dunno, doing some shrooms and expecting flying unicorns with giant rainbows to wish away the AR-15s and solve the problem. ...Though, it is roughly as effective as hopes and prayers, at least towards resolving this problem

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 05-09-2023 at 12:51 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 01:05 PM   #3192
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Quote:
I remember having tornado drills as a kid in school. Now, my 8 year old has active shooter drills at school. Just typing that...man, it's just...surreal, unreal, beyond ridiculous to be necessary.

Look, we have to pick and choose our battles.

We can either have 3rd graders learn how to apply battlefield tourniquets or maybe read a book about segregation.

We all have difficult decisions in our life where choices are clearly either A or B. I could eat lunch OR I could start a fire at a random person's house. Sometimes theres no rational choice and you have to ask God for guidance.
Old 05-09-2023, 01:13 PM   #3193
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

We can either have 3rd graders learn how to apply battlefield tourniquets or maybe read a book about segregation.

We all have difficult decisions in our life where choices are clearly either A or B. I could eat lunch OR I could start a fire at a random person's house. Sometimes theres no rational choice and you have to ask God for guidance.

As someone with a 7yo doing the same thing:

SI

Old 05-09-2023, 01:14 PM   #3194
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

That's what parents rights are all about, right?

SI

Old 05-11-2023, 11:10 AM   #3195
miami_fan
Coordinator

Received this my email this morning.

Quote:
Good morning [redacted] families. We are aware of a social media post involving a possible threat against our campus on Friday. The [redacted] Sheriff’s Office is investigating, and we are currently on Alert Campus status out of an abundance of caution. We are planning to have an enhanced law enforcement presence on campus tomorrow.

As you know, we take all threats seriously. I would like to thank the Sheriff’s Office for all they do to keep our students and staff safe.

So we will have an enhanced law enforcement presence plus parents bringing their own weapons with them as they drop their kids off plus the normal road rage associated with a congested drop off setup and oh yeah a possible threat against the students.

Cool
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 09:09 AM   #3196
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

This country is such a fucking tire fire.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 10:57 AM   #3197
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Received this my email this morning.

So we will have an enhanced law enforcement presence plus parents bringing their own weapons with them as they drop their kids off plus the normal road rage associated with a congested drop off setup and oh yeah a possible threat against the students.

Cool

Update: We decided to keep my son home today. I was prepared to take the slings and arrows about being overly protective, being a snowflake etc. I decided to drive the same route I would to drop him to school before I headed off to the gym. What do you know, there were maybe two cars turning into the driveway to the school. I contacted someone I know in the front office and they said the school had well over a 90% absentee rate today. While law enforcement is still investigating the above incident, a student was arrested for posting an written threat in a different incident and in a third incident single bullets were found in multiple classroom and that is being investigated.

Only two more weeks in the school year.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 05-12-2023, 12:58 PM   #3198
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Doesn't sound like an over-reaction to me.

It's getting to the point where my sons might be safer randomly wandering around Chicago's South Side than going to school.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 01:53 PM   #3199
bryce
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
I contacted someone I know in the front office and they said the school had well over a 90% absentee rate today.

I'd guess the other 10% simply had no other daycare alternative and had to take them to school?
Old 05-12-2023, 02:59 PM   #3200
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
Doesn't sound like an over-reaction to me.

I mean I didn't really expect anyone to say much

I just did not expect it to be that many students out given some of the conversations I have been a part of around the ball fields when discussing some of the other school threats that have happened around the state/country.

Quote:
I'd guess the other 10% simply had no other daycare alternative and had to take them to school?

Well it is high school so I don't think that was a major consideration but that may have been the case. My guess is it's a combination of a) kids/parents who did not believe that there was a actual threat b) kids taking advantage of the lack of information to scaring their parents who may have been inclined to send them to school c) kids needing to be in school to ensure passing a class or classes needed to be in class to do so and d) kids who have never missed a day of school from K through 12th grade. That last one may sound hokey but I believe there were six seniors who had that distinction at the high school last year. I remember the look on my son's face when we heard it at graduation last year.