Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-19-2014, 03:13 PM   #301
BillJasper
Pro Starter

At least Cleveland is being entertaining this off-season:

Report: Browns willing to trade up for Manziel | ProFootballTalk

I think it's becoming obvious why Chudzinski was fired and their having a tough time bringing in someone else: they want a figure-head with the front office having all the power and there aren't many willing to walk into that situation willfully.
Old 01-19-2014, 06:32 PM   #302
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

But do they really need to trade up for him?
Old 01-19-2014, 08:14 PM   #303
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

Houston or Jacksonville might take him
Apathetic Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 08:29 PM   #304
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apathetic Lurker View Post
Houston or Jacksonville might take him

I don't think he gets by Jacksonville.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:21 PM   #305
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

Neither do I...He will put fannies in the seats....Even if he is just a bit better than Gabbert he will entertain.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:22 PM   #306
bhlloy
Coordinator

Although to be fair everyone thought Jacksonville would jump all over Tebow for the same reason and they've resisted even when they could pick him up for veteran's minimum salary.

Not than Manziel isn't better than Tebow, but I don't think the Jags are primarily concerned with which QB puts fans in the seats.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 09:27 PM   #307
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Although to be fair everyone thought Jacksonville would jump all over Tebow for the same reason and they've resisted even when they could pick him up for veteran's minimum salary.

Not than Manziel isn't better than Tebow, but I don't think the Jags are primarily concerned with which QB puts fans in the seats.

This.

Although now they seem convinced that they need a QB, and before they were still sold on Gabbert. We'll see.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:14 PM   #308
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Don't forget that was a different general manager and owner that passed on Tebow. After a new owner arrived, he had teh GM make a play for Tebow, and the pick was higher than the Jets pick, but Tebow chose not to head to J-ville. Then a new Gm was brought in who quelled any rumors on Tebow in his first presser when he said there was no way he could see Tebow on the roster. Ended all speculation.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:50 PM   #309
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post
Wow, fellas, let me tell you. Things ain't right up in Cleveland. I sat down with Haslam for 2 hours this morning and we talked about what scheme I like to run and what I thought of the current personnel.. I was pretty honest with him, told him what I thought without pulling any punches. He sat for a minute after I went on a little rant and then said "Let's go get lunch". So we're eating at this kinda seedy place called Tommy's Pizza and Chicken and he is just tearing through his medium veggie pan while I answer more questions at length.. Questions about my family, my experience, all that. He learns I have thought about coaching a successful pop warner team for a few years and that gets him to stop stuffing his face for a minute and he just straight up says "You want the job?" I spat my coke across the table, costing me hundreds of dollars worth of primo columbian snow. He snorted it off his coat, I said "Lets get this deal done then. I'm ready to take this team where it has never been, Jim."

That's when he flipped his shit. The rest of the flake that hadn't been scattered before exploded as everything on the table went flying in this slow motion flash of rage. As he stood up, he swept the table clean in one Bruce Lee motion and exploded with this scratchy, throat ripping scream that had somewhere in it "NEVER FUCKING CALL ME JIIIIIMMM!!!!" Between the spit flying from his mouth and the veins busting out of his neck and forehead I couldn't control myself and just started laughing hysterically, which made him rage even harder. He stumbled his way out from the booth and raised his fist to hit me as I leaned away, but his lawyer was with us and caught him, pushing him toward the door and waving off the employees that had come over to try and diffuse the situation. I must have laid there for a good 5 minutes laughing while they tried to ask me if I was okay before I got up, dusted my blazer and just left. I got a phone call from the guy.. Curiously, I never got his name, but a short time after, here he was asking me to keep the incident to myself and offering to pay for my troubles, but I just hung up and threw the phone away. It was one of the most surreal mornings of my life and I am still trying to figure out what I just experienced. I've had bad interviews, I have seen obviously confused vagrants babble incoherently to random people at a bus stop.. I have watched a guy jack off in the subway while staring intensely at this meek elderly lady who seemed strangely turned on the whole time.... I have NEVER seen anything as alien to my concept of rational behavior as what I saw in Jimmy's eyes. They were cartoon crazy, so absolutely hilarious.. My god. Maybe I was supposed to be scared, but my natural reaction was to just crack up so hard that I think I actually pulled something because my left side hurts like hell right now.

I'm about to get back on the plane to go back to Asheville.. But I think I'll be lost in the repetition of that image replaying in my head as I kick back a couple bottles of airplane wine. I'm light headed and feel like I am watching things from further inside my head than where my eyes are.

The fact that no one has talked about this makes me think everyone missed it.
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 11:36 AM   #310
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

The Lions have hired Joe Lombardi - grandson of Vince and New Orleans QB coach - as their new offensive coordinator.

I have cooled off a bit in terms of the Caldwell hire. I still don't love it. I am over losing out on Whisenhunt. One of the three issues - the other two being term/money and amount of control over personnel - that apparently drove Whisenhunt's decision to go to Tennessee over Detroit was that he wanted to implement a 3-4 defense. I have no problem with a 3-4 defense. Many teams have been successful with that scheme. But the Lions just don't have the personnel for it right now. The Lions have spent 3 first round picks on d-linenmen in three of the last four drafts. They were drafted to play in a 4-3 and switching would likely be a bad use of the Lions few defensive assets.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 11:54 AM   #311
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by britrock88 View Post
The fact that no one has talked about this makes me think everyone missed it.

Teaser from Deadspin: "There's a good chance you--yes, you!--might be the Browns' next head coach. What will be your first move?" I'm now not so sure that's not a true account from JR...
Old 01-21-2014, 01:47 PM   #312
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
The Lions have hired Joe Lombardi - grandson of Vince and New Orleans QB coach - as their new offensive coordinator.

I have cooled off a bit in terms of the Caldwell hire. I still don't love it. I am over losing out on Whisenhunt. One of the three issues - the other two being term/money and amount of control over personnel - that apparently drove Whisenhunt's decision to go to Tennessee over Detroit was that he wanted to implement a 3-4 defense. I have no problem with a 3-4 defense. Many teams have been successful with that scheme. But the Lions just don't have the personnel for it right now. The Lions have spent 3 first round picks on d-linenmen in three of the last four drafts. They were drafted to play in a 4-3 and switching would likely be a bad use of the Lions few defensive assets.

I can't get excited about Lombardi until I hear they've hired a verified psychic medium to channel Vince for us.
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 02:06 PM   #313
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Gase withdrew his name from the Browns' search, but I can't get excited over a guy who's biggest claim to fame is having Peyton as his QB. He was part of the Lions staff for 5 seasons as well.
Old 01-21-2014, 02:07 PM   #314
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post
I can't get excited about Lombardi until I hear they've hired a verified psychic medium to channel Vince for us.

I can neither get excited or not get excited, because, to be honest, before I read about him today I didn't know Vince Lombardi had a grandson or that he was the quarterbacks coach in New Orleans.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 02:43 PM   #315
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Browns to interview Dirk Koetter for head-coaching job | ProFootballTalk

Cleveland, you're long nightmare is almost over!
Old 01-21-2014, 03:36 PM   #316
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post

Welcome back, Koetter.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:32 PM   #317
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

And possibly so is Atlanta's
Old 01-22-2014, 08:28 AM   #318
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Zing!
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 10:13 PM   #319
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post

I am half thinking that the Lombardi hire is better than the Caldwell hire. Lombardi worked closely with Drew Brees for several years, that must count for something right?

Still on the fence with Caldwell. I just hope that in 3-5 years I am not right back here posting about which guy the Lions will hire as head coach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 10:51 PM   #320
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Still waiting for the Browns to get hot on Tod Haley.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 12:20 AM   #321
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Or also wondering what TSoF is doing and what the Browns haven't called. Isn't he someone's DC now? Can't remember his real name, only that he really wanted to wear a suit. Mike something?

Last edited by stevew : 01-23-2014 at 01:49 PM.
Old 01-23-2014, 12:47 AM   #322
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
I am half thinking that the Lombardi hire is better than the Caldwell hire. Lombardi worked closely with Drew Brees for several years, that must count for something right?

Still on the fence with Caldwell. I just hope that in 3-5 years I am not right back here posting about which guy the Lions will hire as head coach.

I mean Caldwell worked with Peyton Manning years and that worked out terrific right?

At least Caldwell has gotten to the Superbowl though as a HC, perhaps he can maybe get a playoff win?
NobodyHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 07:27 AM   #323
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Browns supposedly found someone to say yes to the dress. Mike Pettine, whomever that is.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:07 AM   #324
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
Lombardi worked closely with Drew Brees for several years, that must count for something right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
I mean Caldwell worked with Peyton Manning years and that worked out terrific right?

But with those two guys, that can't count for much. "What do you want to do here Drew/Peyton? Good idea, let's do that."

It's like the difference between building a space shuttle and watching one.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:37 AM   #325
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post
It's like the difference between building a space shuttle and watching one.

I like that simple analogy.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 08:45 AM   #326
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Pettine made his name as a disciple of Rex Ryan, and I thought Buffalo's D was improved last year in his first year there, but they were terrible against the run. It is a trend for Pettine defenses, his defenses have gotten worse against the run every year he has coached.. But his pass defense was among the best in the league, so he does have a track record of that. I don't know anything about him really, but Buffalo fans don't want him to go.

FUCK EA

Last edited by Julio Riddols : 01-23-2014 at 08:45 AM.
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 08:56 AM   #327
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Pettine made his name as a disciple of Rex Ryan, and I thought Buffalo's D was improved last year in his first year there, but they were terrible against the run. It is a trend for Pettine defenses, his defenses have gotten worse against the run every year he has coached.. But his pass defense was among the best in the league, so he does have a track record of that. I don't know anything about him really, but Buffalo fans don't want him to go.

I think desperation has set in. At this point, they might as well go hire Jim Tressel. At least the fanbase would get to watch a fantastic flame out.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:01 AM   #328
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:

You are right, we don't him to go, but we do have our LB coach Henderson that could replace him without us losing the consistency we need.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:01 AM   #329
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Why in the world would you hire Eric Mangini as a QB coach?

Niners considered Mangini for move to quarterbacks coach | ProFootballTalk
Old 01-23-2014, 09:04 AM   #330
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

I would at least interview Seattle's D coordinator. If you are waiting this long, you might as well interview everybody. Greg Schiano is even getting mentioned so again, I would make sure I interview everybody possible because I don't see how he works out.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:38 AM   #331
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Or also wondering what TSoF is doing and what the Browns haven't called. Isn't he someone's DX now? Can't remember his real name, only that he really wanted to wear a suit. Mike something?

I have no idea what TSoF means, but the rest of your description fits Mike Nolan, the former SF coach. He is ATL's D coordinator now.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 11:14 AM   #332
Suicane75
Coordinator

I'm starting to need a stevew translator button.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 12:25 PM   #333
molson
General Manager

I think they should interview Rob Chudzinski
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 12:47 PM   #334
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I think they should interview Rob Chudzinski

I am a little surprised he hasn't gotten more OC love, but I suspect at least for this offseason, teams are kinda leery because they're not sure if Chud was let go by the Browns for reasons outside of football performance. And it's not like his offense lit the world on fire this season (of course, a lot of that was on the bad QB injury luck the Browns had and the self-inflicted trade away of Richardson).

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 02:06 PM   #335
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

I don't see the upgrade in Pettine and certainly not needing to wait this long to hire him. It's not like he was busy with the playoffs.
Old 01-23-2014, 02:54 PM   #336
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Pettine is hired by the Browns.

He could be a great head coach but I doubt it in an environment like Cleveland.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:01 PM   #337
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Steelers hired Mike Munchak as their O-Line coach. I'm hoping he makes a great interim head coach here some day. Preferably sooner than later.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:04 PM   #338
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Steelers hired Mike Munchak as their O-Line coach. I'm hoping he makes a great interim head coach here some day. Preferably sooner than later.

Like...if Paul Chryst takes another job?
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 03:10 PM   #339
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Pettine is hired by the Browns.

He could be a great head coach but I doubt it in an environment like Cleveland.

Belichick was 36-44 in Cleveland, with one winning season in 1994.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:13 PM   #340
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Like...if Paul Chryst takes another job?

no idea who that is.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:20 PM   #341
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
no idea who that is.

University of Pittsburgh (Pitt) head coach, I believe.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:34 PM   #342
cuervo72
Head Coach

Feh, Pettine's dad was a better coach.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:38 PM   #343
QuikSand
lolzcat

Not sure if it was avoidable given the rest of the clusterfuck over there, but it seems like the guy they really need now with a defense-minded coach is Norv Turner. Whom, of course, they just let walk in to even deeper snow.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 04:09 PM   #344
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Why in the world would you hire Eric Mangini as a QB coach?

Niners considered Mangini for move to quarterbacks coach | ProFootballTalk
If your quarterback's biggest problem is learning how to read defenses, Mangini's probably pretty good at identifying those.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 04:40 PM   #345
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
If your quarterback's biggest problem is learning how to read defenses, Mangini's probably pretty good at identifying those.

But so should any competent QB coach that has made it to the NFL. Kaepernick also has some mechanics issues when throwing from the pocket that need to be addressed.
Old 01-23-2014, 04:41 PM   #346
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
Not sure if it was avoidable given the rest of the clusterfuck over there, but it seems like the guy they really need now with a defense-minded coach is Norv Turner. Whom, of course, they just let walk in to even deeper snow.

It'll be interesting who ends up as the offensive coordinator and QB there?
Old 01-23-2014, 04:42 PM   #347
TroyF
Coordinator

The Browns situation is one of the most strange cases I have ever seen. Fire coach after a year, wait forever with no real replacement in site, then select a guy only true football die hards have heard of. I know of him and I know he's supposed to be a good coach, but wow. . just wow.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 04:45 PM   #348
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
The Browns situation is one of the most strange cases I have ever seen. Fire coach after a year, wait forever with no real replacement in site, then select a guy only true football die hards have heard of. I know of him and I know he's supposed to be a good coach, but wow. . just wow.

I wonder if he's a guy whose ready or a guy who just said fuck it and decided to collect some big money before going back to being a defensive coordinator in a couple years?
Old 01-23-2014, 08:35 PM   #349
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Belichick was 36-44 in Cleveland, with one winning season in 1994.

If your biggest failures are also the source of your biggest personal growth then teams should be all over ex-Browns coaches.

Last edited by Desnudo : 01-23-2014 at 08:35 PM.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 09:14 PM   #350
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

Quote:
I wonder if he's a guy whose ready or a guy who just said fuck it and decided to collect some big money before going back to being a defensive coordinator in a couple years?

A couple of years? Try one...