Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-25-2016, 09:28 AM   #1
korme
Go Reds

Legal to rummage someone else's trash?

Earlier this morning I noticed a couple of guys with a truck going through my trash, ripping the bags open on the side, and pulling out all of the aluminum cans. I wouldn't mind this except for when the rip the bags open that way, all of the rest of the trash falls out into the garbage can and most of the trash guys don't haul the actual full can into the dumptruck, they usually just grab the bags.

This makes sense as I was wondering how a raccoon was getting into our bins, tearing our bags open.

Wondering if it is legal and/or if there is anything I can do about it, aside from walking outside and telling them to stop - I'd rather not take that approach.

korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 09:29 AM   #2
Kodos
Resident Alien

Make sure to bag up lots of cat shit.
Old 01-25-2016, 09:36 AM   #3
MrBug708
Head Coach

My trash cans are provided by the trash company and are spared into three different bins. Trash, green waste, and recyclables. The recyclables trash can has warnings about it being illegal to take things out. I doubt that police are motivated to enforce it
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 09:37 AM   #4
Suicane75
Coordinator

Shorty, if ya need money, just ask.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 09:45 AM   #5
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I put all of my cans out on the curb in paper bags. The homeless guy in my neighborhood comes by, takes all the ones with the deposit out, puts the others into the recycling bin, and then folds up the paper bag neatly and places them in the bin as well.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 09:52 AM   #6
Kodos
Resident Alien

Does anyone bother returning deposit bottles?
Old 01-25-2016, 09:56 AM   #7
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post

There must not be many Mexicans where you live

Last edited by Karlifornia : 01-25-2016 at 09:56 AM.
Karlifornia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 10:15 AM   #8
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
As to whether or not it is legal, it is. The Supreme Court ruled in California v. Greenwood that garbage left out for collection is public domain.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 10:25 AM   #9
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
There must not be many Mexicans where you live

I meant does anyone who buys bottles with deposits bother to return them. We have our share of collectors.
Old 01-25-2016, 10:30 AM   #10
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post

In Michigan you pay 10 cents for every bottle and can you buy. When you return them you get that 10 cents back.

I forfeit that 10 cents.

I just hate lugging all of the cans and bottles back to the grocery store, when, inevitably, some of the cans/bottles will spill out into my car during the trip, waiting in line for the machines, standing there feeding them one at a time into the machine... It's just not worth it.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 11:00 AM   #11
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Everyone should have single stream recycling and the deposit fees should be repealed. I recycle everything, but I just throw the cans and bottles in the barrel. I hate going to the redemption center.
Old 01-25-2016, 11:08 AM   #12
corbes
College Benchwarmer

Put your cans in a separate paper bag and make it easy on the dudes. Or you could up the ante and sit outside in a folding chair with a rifle and defend your constitutional right to throw out recyclable cans. Either way.
corbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 11:16 AM   #13
cuervo72
Head Coach

We started out with a blue recycling bucket. Had so much that we graduated to a can that is as large as our trash can. I think we're at the point that we have more recyclables than trash (though the trash is still weekly, recycle biweekly). Paper, cardboard, glass, aluminum, plastic, all of it.

Deposits are silly.
Old 01-25-2016, 11:31 AM   #14
PilotMan
Head Coach

I know someone who works in recycling and he says that the vast majority of stuff you think you are recycling just goes in the trash. It's just not good enough quality to mess with. So while we think we are doing a great job sorting it's someone else's pain to take care of.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 11:39 AM   #15
nol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
As to whether or not it is legal, it is. The Supreme Court ruled in California v. Greenwood that garbage left out for collection is public domain.

This was covered in an episode of Better Call Saul. How educational that turned out to be!
nol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 12:01 PM   #16
lungs
Pro Rookie

lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 12:12 PM   #17
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
I know someone who works in recycling and he says that the vast majority of stuff you think you are recycling just goes in the trash. It's just not good enough quality to mess with. So while we think we are doing a great job sorting it's someone else's pain to take care of.

I've also heard, though havent substantiated, that the carbon footprint required to break down and then reform paper is much greater than the amount required to harvest a tree, turn it into paper and re plant said tree.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 12:15 PM   #18
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

California v Greenwood does have some limitations however. Generally speaking the "right" to rummage only extends to public space, trespassing laws still generally apply.

The most common recommendation when this becomes problematic is to put the can on the curb as late as possible to limit the opportunity.

My more creative suggestion that might be worth a try is to get some of those hazardous medical waste bags & segregate the cans into those before putting them in the bag. Would at least worth be worth a try since what you're describing is a legit pain in the ass.
Old 01-25-2016, 12:16 PM   #19
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
We started out with a blue recycling bucket. Had so much that we graduated to a can that is as large as our trash can. I think we're at the point that we have more recyclables than trash (though the trash is still weekly, recycle biweekly). Paper, cardboard, glass, aluminum, plastic, all of it.

Deposits are silly.

Same here. About a dumpster of each every week. And I "compost" uneaten fruits and veggies by tossing them out into the valley behind our yard. I figure either something will eat them, or they'll fertilize something.

Last edited by Kodos : 01-25-2016 at 12:17 PM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 12:17 PM   #20
CraigSca
Pro Starter

New York Times did an article on recycling and found most of it (except paper and metal) made more carbon than making new.

how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 12:25 PM   #21
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post

There is arguably a difference between the garbage that's curbside and garbage that is, say, adjacent to your back door, or in your garage.
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 12:40 PM   #22
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
The most common recommendation when this becomes problematic is to put the can on the curb as late as possible to limit the opportunity

Really depends on the neighborhood, in my previous less desirable place it didn't matter what time you put it out - there were multiple waves of people through the early hours of the morning and back at it once the sun came up. Didn't matter what time you put them out there, you could bank on somebody going through it within 15 minutes

EDIT - to add that more than once when we had forgotten to put our trash cans down, we had people come into our drive, past our cars and go through them on our property

Last edited by bhlloy : 01-25-2016 at 12:42 PM.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 12:47 PM   #23
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I thought about taking bottles from New York to Michigan but in between gas, tolls and truck rental I couldn't crunch the numbers to make it work.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 12:52 PM   #24
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I thought about taking bottles from New York to Michigan but in between gas, tolls and truck rental I couldn't crunch the numbers to make it work.

Old 01-25-2016, 12:54 PM   #25
QuikSand
lolzcat

sensing megathread potential here...
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 01:13 PM   #26
RainMaker
General Manager

Years ago before recycling came to my city people would rummage through the bins collecting cans. What I'd do is separate the cans in a bag and just leave them on top of the bins for the guys who came around looking. Saved them time and hassle of digging through the trash. You could even leave a note saying "Cans sorted out for you" to let them know.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 01:16 PM   #27
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
to add that more than once when we had forgotten to put our trash cans down, we had people come into our drive, past our cars and go through them on our property

Since I don't recall hearing anything about this on the news, your tolerance for that is clearly greater than mine. I'd get exceptionally Inigo Montoya about shit at that point.
Old 01-25-2016, 01:41 PM   #28
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post

The bar codes would have coke-blocked you. Occasionally, the family comes up from Ohio and their transported cans will get into our can returning stream. The recycling machines at the grocery store recognize and reject out of state cans.
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 01:45 PM   #29
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post
The bar codes would have coke-blocked you. Occasionally, the family comes up from Ohio and their transported cans will get into our can returning stream. The recycling machines at the grocery store recognize and reject out of state cans.

(I was channelling a Seinfeld plot)
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 02:36 PM   #30
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post

I can see that. We try to stick to this (though pizza boxes are a judgement call).

http://www.frederickcountymd.gov/Doc...ter/View/17255

The pet food cans alone...