Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-13-2015, 10:25 AM   #401
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
One of BYU's prized recruits was arrested on assault and possession charges two days after signing day

Probably reduces his chances of seeing the field for the Cougars to pretty f'n slim now...

BYU football recruit charged with assault | The Salt Lake Tribune

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
Actually looking like all charges will be dropped.

I listened to the interview with his lawyer this morning and there is a lot that doesn't pass the smell test about these allegations.

If it proves to be untrue and charges are dropped my concern is BYU still being reactive to just having this story even being out there and pulls his schollie because of the negative crap from the fight at the bowl game and the stupid "sock gate" crap from last fall. I wouldn't put it past BYU parting ways to just because they seem to be overly concerned with any negative perception and err way too far on the side of caution.

Hoping it is all crap and BYU stands by him. Football aside, this is a kid that turned down P5 offers because he wanted to go to a place that would help him become a better man and nobody associated with his family or him has had a bad word to say about him. Hoping for the best.

Last edited by BYU 14 : 02-13-2015 at 10:25 AM.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 10:48 AM   #402
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
I listened to the interview with his lawyer this morning and there is a lot that doesn't pass the smell test about these allegations.

If it proves to be untrue and charges are dropped my concern is BYU still being reactive to just having this story even being out there and pulls his schollie because of the negative crap from the fight at the bowl game and the stupid "sock gate" crap from last fall. I wouldn't put it past BYU parting ways to just because they seem to be overly concerned with any negative perception and err way too far on the side of caution.

Hoping it is all crap and BYU stands by him. Football aside, this is a kid that turned down P5 offers because he wanted to go to a place that would help him become a better man and nobody associated with his family or him has had a bad word to say about him. Hoping for the best.

From what I am hearing BYU is standing by him and not parting ways. I think he will get a long talk about appearance of impropriety and how he could have avoided the situation. Guarantee Guy is spelling it all out to him right now. I almost wondered if the lady and her guy friends thought he got a pay off or something for playing D1 ball and tried to rob him.
Old 06-04-2015, 10:22 AM   #403
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Just saw that Terry Beckner Jr. was cleared academically and is good to go for the fall. Huge news for Mizzou.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 10:34 AM   #404
Kodos
Resident Alien

Now maybe they'll beat Indiana.
Old 07-10-2015, 12:55 PM   #405
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:

And in shocking news, he got shot in the arm recently
VIDEO: BYU Football Recruit Charles West Shot Outside Coppell Middle School | FrontBurner | D Magazine

Btw, am I crazy, or is the person who took (and posted) that video pretty clearly hanging out with the shooter? Good for society if you're this dumb, but you basically guaranteed your friend is found guilty.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 12:59 PM   #406
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
If you had to pick a location in DFW where someone would be shot playing hoops, Coppell is near the bottom.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 02:14 PM   #407
CraigSca
Pro Starter

So, is punching women in the face part of freshman orientation at FSU? Good Lord.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 07:50 PM   #408
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca View Post
So, is punching women in the face part of freshman orientation at FSU? Good Lord.
Someone needs to point out to them that winning the Fulmer Cup isn't something you actually should aspire to.

In recruiting news, Washington picked up a big commitment from 4-star LB Camilo Eifler yesterday at The Opening. He was a big fan of how Shaq Thompson was used with the Huskies and wants to model his game after him. Looking at his highlights, that's not all that far-fetched.

Last edited by dawgfan : 07-10-2015 at 07:50 PM.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 10:36 AM   #409
digamma
Torchbearer

Starting to be some message board rumors that the UNC punishment will come down in the next couple of months and is expected to be Southern Cal like.

One interesting thing is that they currently have 14 commitments. Only one is from North Carolina. This is in contrast to their roster which is 40-50% NC based.

The conspiracy theorist says they've looked elsewhere because they have no traction in state because of the NCAA stuff.

The true Carolina blue fan might say they are expanding their recruiting base. It will be interesting to watch.

Last edited by digamma : 07-24-2015 at 10:36 AM.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 10:03 PM   #410
Radii
Head Coach

A true carolina fan gets really confused and makes a comment like "14 committments? I don't get it, you're only allowed to carry 13 scholarship players."
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 06:31 PM   #411
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

TE Chris Clark, one of UCLA's top recruits, is leaving the team. I wonder what the story is behind this early transfer.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 07:44 PM   #412
MrBug708
Head Coach

Do you really wonder?

Gotta wonder why you would want to leave playing with Josh Rosen for the next few years. Very odd
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 07:45 PM   #413
MrBug708
Head Coach

Did we wonder about ricky towne?
Old 09-11-2015, 08:50 PM   #414
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Did we wonder about ricky towne?

Sam Darnold happened to Ricky who saw the writing on the wall. This is much more odd.
Old 09-11-2015, 10:13 PM   #415
MrBug708
Head Coach

East coast kid who contracts mono during summer away?

Real odd. Too bad. He could have been the Gronk to Thomas Duarte ' s Aaron Hernandez. Well, without the body count
Old 12-25-2015, 09:22 PM   #416
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Even though USC doesn't have a DC or DL coach, they got 5 star DE Oluwole Betiku to commit today and he plans on enrolling early.
Old 12-25-2015, 09:59 PM   #417
MrBug708
Head Coach

What a dirty ass recruitment. Ucla needs to never recruit from that high school again. It's the kind of recruitment that gets a school put on probation.

Mora needs to start negative recruiting. Enough of this moral high ground crap
Old 12-26-2015, 01:59 AM   #418
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
What a dirty ass recruitment. Ucla needs to never recruit from that high school again. It's the kind of recruitment that gets a school put on probation.

Mora needs to start negative recruiting. Enough of this moral high ground crap

Agreed. I normally stay out of this kinda stuff, but it is just painfully obvious in this case.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 09:01 AM   #419
Logan
Head Coach

Care to explain a little?
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 10:03 AM   #420
MrBug708
Head Coach

He hasn't been in the country too long (2 years) and had a guardian who sort of kept him out of the recruiting wars. The guardian was former PSU and NFL LB, Lavarr Arrington. The football program at Serra sort of nudged Arrington out of the way and the coach at Serra took him in. Serra football is heavily backed by a couple of SC alums. It's a private school so it is what is it. When Wole commited to UCLA, he said he wanted a program where he trusted his position coach and had the best relationships with.

He decommitted from UCLA because he was unsure of how he fit into the scheme. After his USC home visit, he was suddenly enlightened on how he would fit into a 3-4 scheme. Then he continues and says he really wants a coaching staff he's built a relationship with. Fine, UCLA makes sense to come back to, but nobody was really buying it. Then USC fires both his position coach and DC. Wole maintains that USC leads and commits.

Sure it's sour grapes. But USC flipped a top WR from UCLA as well, Michael Pittman. But he was forthright from the beginning and said that a USC offered was what he wanted and when he got it, he was gone. The whole reason for the decommitment and committment to USC doesn't actually exist. I wish Wole would just say that USC promised to do what they could to get his family to the country. At least it would be transparent.

Last edited by MrBug708 : 12-26-2015 at 10:05 AM.
Old 12-26-2015, 01:47 PM   #421
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Yup. Serra is basically a minor league team for USC. It's obvious and terrible and is a poster child for the joke college football recruiting has become.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 03:28 PM   #422
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Washington's recruiting efforts in the state of Texas paid off today with the commitment of Levi Onwuzurike, a 4-star DE out of Allen H.S. The Huskies beat out Michigan and Baylor, and he had offers from Oregon, Georgia, Arizona State, Miami (FL), Mizzou, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Stanford, TCU and others.
Old 01-21-2016, 04:28 PM   #423
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Another pretty big commit for Washington today, landing one of the top talents out of Arizona in CB/ATH Byron Murphy. That will make losing David Long to Michigan easier to take as they now have three 4-star CB prospects in this class (along with Kentrell Love and Isaiah Gilchrist).

It's a small class for Chris Petersen due to not a lot of room available, but the average star rating (per Scout.com) is now 13th best in the country (and 2nd in the conference behind USC).
Old 01-21-2016, 04:48 PM   #424
MrBug708
Head Coach

Was disappointed that we couldn't flip Love or land any of the top

Last edited by digamma : 01-21-2016 at 06:08 PM.
Old 01-21-2016, 07:37 PM   #425
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Love's family sure wanted him to stay close to home, but it sounds like ultimately they approved of his decision.
Old 01-21-2016, 08:15 PM   #426
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:

Was there a reason this was edited?
Old 01-21-2016, 09:00 PM   #427
digamma
Torchbearer

Sent you a PM.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 10:29 PM   #428
MrBug708
Head Coach

Thanks!

I was trying to say that ucla needs to finish strong with mique and Boss. Would love to flip Rand
Old 01-22-2016, 11:34 AM   #429
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
Another pretty big commit for Washington today, landing one of the top talents out of Arizona in CB/ATH Byron Murphy. That will make losing David Long to Michigan easier to take as they now have three 4-star CB prospects in this class (along with Kentrell Love and Isaiah Gilchrist).

It's a small class for Chris Petersen due to not a lot of room available, but the average star rating (per Scout.com) is now 13th best in the country (and 2nd in the conference behind USC).

While it's really nice to have Long, this is a little creepy:

Michigan Football to Host Signing of the Stars Event on Feb. 3

Harbaugh is having "sleep overs" with major recruits. Apparently, that's a thing now. These kids are 18. They don't even know who they're taking to prom from one moment to the next.

That said, I'm still following the Rashaun Gary recruiting story far too closely.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 12:43 PM   #430
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
While it's really nice to have Long, this is a little creepy:

Michigan Football to Host Signing of the Stars Event on Feb. 3

Harbaugh is having "sleep overs" with major recruits. Apparently, that's a thing now. These kids are 18. They don't even know who they're taking to prom from one moment to the next.

That said, I'm still following the Rashaun Gary recruiting story far too closely.
Creepy indeed. I don't remember hearing stories like this when he was at Stanford. Harbaugh is taking his own unique brand of crazy to new heights.
Old 01-22-2016, 12:57 PM   #431
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Gary is a 95% done deal to Michigan.
I leave 5% open because Mama's brother lives 10 miles from Clemson's campus and mama is accompanying him to Clemson next weekend.

Dabo is great on some Mamas. Small town environment. Top 5 grad rate in the country. Just played for the NC and featured a true freshman DT so we know he will get PT...Michigan will sell against Clemson that their DT rotation is stacked and he wont see much PT, plus his high school coach is not at Michigan.

I think he is blue and yellow (hehe) in the end but would love to sign the #1 and #2 overall prospects in the same class. That they both happen to be war daddy Dts is just icing on the cake.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 02:42 PM   #432
Logan
Head Coach

I had heard that if Gary wasn't going to Michigan, Ole Miss was most likely.
Old 01-22-2016, 11:01 PM   #433
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Old Miss wasn't allowed into visit.

I'm 99.99% sure this is a Michigan Clemson battle....
With Michigan all but locked in.
Old 01-25-2016, 08:46 AM   #434
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Nice Story....

Ex-Tide fullback's fight against ALS continues - Gridiron Now
Old 01-25-2016, 09:15 AM   #435
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post

Fuck ALS, just as much as cancer.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 09:21 AM   #436
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Fuck ALS, just as much as cancer.

I agree
Old 01-25-2016, 10:03 AM   #437
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

It's kind of embarrassing Swinney is taking lots of flack on home message boards for the Turner offer. To be fair he has a history of signing a few non-offer-worthy kids every cycle.

But this one, I dont think anyone should have an issue with.
Old 01-26-2016, 06:05 AM   #438
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Couldn't find an offseason thread, so is this the right place to discuss Matty Mauk of Missouri being suspended indefinitely for an alleged video of him snorting cocaine?
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 07:49 AM   #439
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca View Post
Couldn't find an offseason thread, so is this the right place to discuss Matty Mauk of Missouri being suspended indefinitely for an alleged video of him snorting cocaine?

Technically you can post about Mauk getting suspended in any college football thread and it would be the right thread, according to the odds.
Old 01-26-2016, 09:24 AM   #440
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

I guess I am the only one who saw that video and thought:
1- He diodnt actually ingest anything. Me thinks he just wanted to look cool for his friends.
2- A Butter knife ?!?!!? Thats not nearly sharp enough. You are doing it wrong my friend.
Old 01-30-2016, 12:56 PM   #441
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

And the Rashaun Gary plot thickens.

Mom loves her some Dabo.

I'd move it to 85% Michigan...but its enough that I'll be watching the NSD presser now.

BTW coach Harbaugh, if you are going to lie about a rival coach, specifically a coordinator and tell a parent that you know for a fact he is leaving a school after NSD to go become a coordinator at another school that is in your conference...you might want to make sure said coordinator doesnt have a clause in his contract eliminating that possibility regardless of buyout...and you should DEFINITELY make sure said coordinator isnt afraid to pull his contract out in front of Mama with the AD and the school President in the room to prove that fact....

I'm just saying.
Old 01-30-2016, 03:30 PM   #442
dave731
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
And the Rashaun Gary plot thickens.

Mom loves her some Dabo.

I'd move it to 85% Michigan...but its enough that I'll be watching the NSD presser now.

BTW coach Harbaugh, if you are going to lie about a rival coach, specifically a coordinator and tell a parent that you know for a fact he is leaving a school after NSD to go become a coordinator at another school that is in your conference...you might want to make sure said coordinator doesnt have a clause in his contract eliminating that possibility regardless of buyout...and you should DEFINITELY make sure said coordinator isnt afraid to pull his contract out in front of Mama with the AD and the school President in the room to prove that fact....

I'm just saying.
Did you see the cake? I think Dabo pulls a rabbit out the hat and we land the top 2 players in the nation in this class. I am taking the day off Wednesday to keep up with everything...
dave731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 01:05 PM   #443
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

There's a lot of talk that Gary's visit to Clemson this weekend went very well. Funny that there's absolute silence on the Michigan sites (or maybe discussion has been banned). I'm starting to get a bad feeling here.

And Ric Flair, sleepovers, angry decommits, signing rah-rah parties, constant focus from the national media... this is a part of the game I don't much like. It's nice that Michigan is a real player right now, but that seems to come with a lot of unpleasantness.

Michigan just lost its only projected tackle in the class. Without Gary, this won't be the monster borderline-number one class it looked like just a couple of weeks ago.

Last edited by Solecismic : 01-31-2016 at 01:06 PM.
Old 01-31-2016, 04:30 PM   #444
tarcone
Coordinator

Iowa landed the #1 DE for 2017. Yep, Iowa. It doesnt hurt his Dad played at Iowa. But the kid said that didnt really play a huge role. He liked the family atmosphere.

Iowa is getting some recruits. Talk about a coach turning things around.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 05:32 PM   #445
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
There's a lot of talk that Gary's visit to Clemson this weekend went very well. Funny that there's absolute silence on the Michigan sites (or maybe discussion has been banned). I'm starting to get a bad feeling here.

And Ric Flair, sleepovers, angry decommits, signing rah-rah parties, constant focus from the national media... this is a part of the game I don't much like. It's nice that Michigan is a real player right now, but that seems to come with a lot of unpleasantness.

Michigan just lost its only projected tackle in the class. Without Gary, this won't be the monster borderline-number one class it looked like just a couple of weeks ago.

Harbaugh has to adjust back to the college game and to a school other than Stanford. His comments around the Swenson situation are hurting right now.

I can tell you Stewart went to Stanford almost exclusively BECAUSE of that situation. While it is a big business you cant treat the kids like you can NFL players or they will revolt on you.

Jim is a smart dude, he will get it right but this has been a bad month for him...
Old 01-31-2016, 05:45 PM   #446
MrBug708
Head Coach

If you get an offer from Stanford, it's hard to tell them no. I know most of the country might not realize that but Stanford rarely loses a kid they offer and is accepted into the school. It's just a recruiting anomaly

Last edited by MrBug708 : 01-31-2016 at 05:46 PM.
Old 01-31-2016, 05:59 PM   #447
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Stewart was enthusiastic about Michigan. But it's a deep WR class, and he didn't hear he got into Stanford until after he committed to Michigan. That's one I understand and wouldn't worry about. With Swenson, if you want to maintain your scholarship offer and the coach asks you to attend summer camp, attend. I get that one, too. Others, not so much. So, yeah, Harbaugh needs to communicate better. Hopefully he won't learn his lesson with Gary after it seemed like a perfect fit. Hopefully, what you posted about talking about assistant coaches isn't true - I haven't seen it repeated anywhere else. Just that Clemson Nation clearly believes they're in it now, and there's no reason to believe they aren't.
Old 01-31-2016, 06:45 PM   #448
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
With Swenson, if you want to maintain your scholarship offer and the coach asks you to attend summer camp, attend. I get that one, too.

Fair enough.
If you believe that line. But that was SUMMER CAMP. Why wait 6 months when the kid has NO OTHER OPTIONS to tell him. And why refuse to take the kids call? Hell why not call the kid yourself, why hide behind an assistant? This is a 2 way street. Coaches want to talk about kids honoring commitments to do a kid like this 2 weeks before NSD when everyone else is full, BS move.

Quote:
Hopefully, what you posted about talking about assistant coaches isn't true - I haven't seen it repeated anywhere else. Just that Clemson Nation clearly believes they're in it now, and there's no reason to believe they aren't.

And you wont.
My roommate for 2 years of college was in the room when it went down(and is an assistant coach at Clemson). He and I text daily and our wives are better friends than we are. I will guarantee you that went down. Believe me or not, really doesnt matter to me.

I cant say what Harbaugh or anyone else said, I can tell you what the Gary camp was concerned about and attributed to Michigan coaches. I can also guarantee the response from Clemson was accurate as I described it.

Gary is on a plane headed home now or maybe just landed. Who knows how it will play out from here.
Old 01-31-2016, 07:02 PM   #449
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
Fair enough.
If you believe that line. But that was SUMMER CAMP. Why wait 6 months when the kid has NO OTHER OPTIONS to tell him. And why refuse to take the kids call? Hell why not call the kid yourself, why hide behind an assistant? This is a 2 way street. Coaches want to talk about kids honoring commitments to do a kid like this 2 weeks before NSD when everyone else is full, BS move.

And you wont.
My roommate for 2 years of college was in the room when it went down(and is an assistant coach at Clemson). He and I text daily and our wives are better friends than we are. I will guarantee you that went down. Believe me or not, really doesnt matter to me.

I cant say what Harbaugh or anyone else said, I can tell you what the Gary camp was concerned about and attributed to Michigan coaches. I can also guarantee the response from Clemson was accurate as I described it.

Gary is on a plane headed home now or maybe just landed. Who knows how it will play out from here.

Swenson's OK. He's literally OK (committed to Oklahoma). I don't have inside information at Michigan, and don't know why his commitment was reopened when it was, just the rumors. If he's good enough for Oklahoma, this sounds like more than a misunderstanding. I don't want to speculate more than that.

Yeah, no reason not to believe you. It would be nice to know who was spreading bs about Clemson assistants if that's the case, because that's the kind of thing that could hurt you far more than losing one recruit if you're caught... and it's totally unnecessary. These kids bond at camps and at so many events - they talk. They look out for each other.

We all want to believe our teams have the most integrity. Everything I hear about Dabo is that he runs a class program and everything I've heard about Clemson is that it's football crazy. Gary could do a lot worse.

I think Harbaugh is a great coach, and, from what I've seen of him personally (growing up in Ann Arbor and being in the same grade at a nearby school), he's intense beyond imagination and he hates losing like no one I've ever met before or since. Would he lie or mislead to get the best class? I hope not. Can't say for certain.
Old 01-31-2016, 07:55 PM   #450
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

That's very fair.

I think my post history will show I've been a BIG Harbaugh fan. His behavior recently has been weirder than usual. I'm worried about him from afar honestly.

I HATE OSU and a good friend is a Michigan grad so I want Michigan to be good.