Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-18-2015, 10:43 PM   #51
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I hope you're playing with your Legos while watching!

I did get the set put together tonight while I watched. The set also had a mailer for a free minifig and I got that one ordered too. It looks pretty good.

So the Bison, with the big first half, and a dominant, 18-play 10+ minute drive in the second half are going to Frisco for the 5th straight time. They were just dominant all throughout this game on both sides of the ball. It started from the first drive where they used power running to score the first touchdown. It was all downhill from there.

Here are the final numbers from tonight:

Matchup
1st Downs924
3rd down efficiency3-125-11
4th down efficiency0-11-2
Total Yards209418
Passing171136
Comp-Att12-2613-20
Yards per pass.0.0
Interceptions thrown21
Rushing38282
Rushing Attempts2152
Yards per rush1.85.4
Penalties4-205-47
Turnovers21
Fumbles lost00
Interceptions thrown21
Possession23:2336:37

We will either play Sam Houston St, a team we've played 3 of the last 4 years and twice in the finals, or Jacksonville St, the undefeated, top seeds for the tournament. The biggest question will be if Carson Wentz is healthy will he play? Or will they leave it to Easton Stick, who has carried them all this way the last 8 weeks? Mel Kuiper Jr has Wentz as a late first round NFL draft pick right now. That's insane. He went to the same high school as I did. Our team sucked when I was there, and he took them to a state title. That's pretty big news for a homegrown North Dakota boy.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 06:13 AM   #52
Thomkal
Head Coach

Congrats! I'm guessing you will face Jacksonville State in the finals, but Sam Houston certainly has the experience.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 03:01 PM   #53
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Two things on that play.

First, to the defensive player that was celebrating the stop WHILE the runner was still up fighting for yards... Dumb ass

Second, to the ref that called it a touchdown... Dumb ass
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 03:26 PM   #54
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
BYU is looking for the reset switch on their Xbox.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 03:26 PM   #55
bronconick
College Starter

Bronco Mendenhall appears to have checked out early
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 03:39 PM   #56
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
BYU is looking for the reset switch on their Xbox.

35-0 in the first quarter??? Damn.

Like Steam?

Old 12-19-2015, 03:49 PM   #57
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Five turnovers (including two pick-sixes and a third interception returned to the 1) and a missed field goal. Utah really hasn't done much on offense.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 04:07 PM   #58
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
Bronco Mendenhall appears to have checked out early

While that may or may not play a role in this farce, I suspect it'll be a while before we see another lame duck coach allowed to coach a bowl game.
Old 12-19-2015, 04:13 PM   #59
Atocep
Coordinator

35 points on 72 yards. That's impressive.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 10:45 PM   #60
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post

We will either play Sam Houston St, a team we've played 3 of the last 4 years and twice in the finals, or Jacksonville St, the undefeated, top seeds for the tournament. The biggest question will be if Carson Wentz is healthy will he play? Or will they leave it to Easton Stick, who has carried them all this way the last 8 weeks? Mel Kuiper Jr has Wentz as a late first round NFL draft pick right now. That's insane. He went to the same high school as I did. Our team sucked when I was there, and he took them to a state title. That's pretty big news for a homegrown North Dakota boy.

The finals are set now!

Matchup
1st Downs1526
3rd down efficiency4-1711-18
4th down efficiency0-21-1
Total Yards259639
Passing140279
Comp-Att14-4318-24
Yards per pass3.311.6
Interceptions thrown10
Rushing119360
Rushing Attempts3161
Yards per rush3.85.9
Penalties6-657-77
Turnovers41
Fumbles lost31
Interceptions thrown10
Possession22:4537:15

Any idea which team won?

Should be quite the game in Frisco on Jan 9. You've got the 4 time defending champs who lost twice against the top seeded, only loss was in double overtime to Auburn, never been to the finals Jacksonville St team. No question, this is what the finals should have been all along.

Like Steam?

Old 12-20-2015, 08:47 AM   #61
Thomkal
Head Coach

I see I was right about my Jacksonville State prediction. Sure did not predict a 62-10 shellacking. I think this is going to be a tough battle for NDSU. I guess we shall see next year Good luck to both teams.
Old 12-20-2015, 10:34 AM   #62
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Robert Nkemdiche suspended for Sugar Bowl following arrest

Announces that he's entering the draft.

I'd figure he cost himself a little coin with his ... whateverthehell that mess was.
Old 12-22-2015, 12:55 PM   #63
MrBug708
Head Coach

Not quite relayed but ucla will host Coastal Carolina in 2023 provided they make the complete move to Div. 1 by 2018
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 03:13 PM   #64
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Okay, WTH?

Denzel Nkemdiche hospitalized at UMMC

edit: found "unresponsive" yesterday morning

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 12-22-2015 at 03:13 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 03:27 PM   #65
digamma
Torchbearer

I read elsewhere that Spice is the variety of life for these two. Hope he is ok.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 04:34 PM   #66
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Not quite relayed but ucla will host Coastal Carolina in 2023 provided they make the complete move to Div. 1 by 2018

I have not heard that. How thrilling for Coastal. They should be a full member of the Sun Belt in 2017.
Old 12-22-2015, 07:22 PM   #67
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I never liked Toledo's white helmets
Old 12-23-2015, 12:19 AM   #68
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
I have not heard that. How thrilling for Coastal. They should be a full member of the Sun Belt in 2017.

Ucla won't play subdivisional schools so they made sure the clause was put in
Old 12-23-2015, 12:28 AM   #69
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Despite having ugly helmets, this is the first time I can claim my alma mater won a bowl game!

Woo-b\hoo!
Old 12-26-2015, 09:44 AM   #70
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Six games on tap today!
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 05:03 PM   #71
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Okay, I haven't paid enough attention lately but I see there seems to be twice as many bowl games as there used to be but teams with losing records in a bowl game? Who wants to see that?
Old 12-26-2015, 05:13 PM   #72
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Okay, I haven't paid enough attention lately but I see there seems to be twice as many bowl games as there used to be but teams with losing records in a bowl game? Who wants to see that?
The people who organize low rung bowl games, or the NCAA that was sanctioning all of them* before realizing there weren't enough .500+ teams? The only under .500 team I'd give a waiver to is the very rare Georgia Tech who is 6-7 after losing in a conference title game - no point punishing them because their division sucks and they got matched up a 2nd time with FSU.

* - (I'm not sure if the NCAA actually has any say in whether a bowl exists, but it is the one who decides which/how many teams are eligible.)
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 05:26 PM   #73
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Not really a fan of 6-6 teams in a bowl game but at least they got to that magic number of 6 wins... but 5-7 teams in bowl games now...

oh... and GET OFF MY LAWN!!!!
Old 12-26-2015, 05:32 PM   #74
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post

The contingency plan -- making 5-7 teams bowl-eligible based on their APR ranking -- was announced back in 2012 but this is the first time it's been needed. (I've just read where that plan expires after this season & will be evaluated going forward). Last year, for example, there were 79 teams bowl-eligible with six wins, this year was quite a bit short of that (and one more bowl was added).

From an article last year
Quote:
By 2015, college football's postseason will have more than doubled in 20 years. There were 18 bowls in 1995 and there will be 40 in 2015. Significantly increasing the postseason has occurred throughout college football history.

The number of bowl games increased from six to 11 between 1955 and 1975. Then they went from 11 to 18 from 1975 to 1995. During the 16-year Bowl Championship Series era, the amount of bowls increased from 20 to 35.
Old 12-26-2015, 05:34 PM   #75
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post

* - (I'm not sure if the NCAA actually has any say in whether a bowl exists

Yes, bowls have to apply to the NCAA for certification and be approved.
Old 12-26-2015, 05:48 PM   #76
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Like your article say, 40 bowls = 80 teams... and there are ~120 "bowl eligible" teams in D1 period. Only so many FCS wins to go around.

At the end of the day, shitty bowl games are shitty bowl games, and if we want to allow every team to play an extra game in a warm weather place in December, who cares imo (I also think it's ludicrous that 10?15? practices are tied in to playing in a bowl... shouldn't the bad teams get the extra practice ). But I do think the Mountain West commissioner had a good point when he said that if we're allowing 5-7 teams in they should only be eligible to be picked after all 6+ win teams are. (He was mad that two bad MWC teams were matched up in a shitty bowl.)
Old 12-26-2015, 06:15 PM   #77
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Btw, whenever people complain about too many bowl games I'd point to games like this Indiana-Duke one. Two historically downtrodden programs that are never going to challenge for national titles, but can go have a fun game and an awesome experience for their fans. So congrats Kodos, whether you win or lose this overtime! (And hahaha on that final FG attempt... idk if the IU kicker's going to start descending into madness over a missed kick here, but that's a classic LACES OUT, DAN! situation.)

Virginia Tech/Tulsa also already 38-21 early 2nd Q... Come on guys, this isn't how Frank Beamer's supposed to go out! Should be a 9-6 win where they score on a blocked punt and a safety.
Old 12-26-2015, 06:16 PM   #78
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Say what you will about 6-6 teams, but 6-6 Indiana and 7-5 Duke are putting on a fun show at least.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 06:22 PM   #79
cuervo72
Head Coach

*shrug* It's programming. Especially if you're not into basketball.
Old 12-26-2015, 06:24 PM   #80
BishopMVP
Coordinator

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I've been banging the "why wouldn't you put in taller goalposts" drum for years. Glad it'll finally get a little press for "deciding" a meaningless game instead of one in the national title or NFL playoff race.
Old 12-26-2015, 06:27 PM   #81
Suicane75
Coordinator

Each post should have a giant 30 foot antenna on top of it so it's clear if it's been touched or not.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 06:30 PM   #82
bronconick
College Starter

They're not going to bother with taller posts at Yankee Stadium.

Last edited by bronconick : 12-26-2015 at 06:30 PM.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 06:32 PM   #83
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Like your article say, 40 bowls = 80 teams... and there are ~120 "bowl eligible" teams in D1 period. Only so many FCS wins to go around.

and apparently only so many fans can attend. There have been bowls, including today, where there doesn't appear to have more than 1,000 people in attendance.

I know it's a losing proposition for some teams to travel to a low-tier bowl but I don't know how some of the bowls themselves can be profitable.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 06:32 PM   #84
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

At the end of the day, shitty bowl games are shitty bowl games, and if we want to allow every team to play an extra game in a warm weather place in December, who cares imo (I also think it's ludicrous that 10?15? practices are tied in to playing in a bowl... shouldn't the bad teams get the extra practice ). But I do think the Mountain West commissioner had a good point when he said that if we're allowing 5-7 teams in they should only be eligible to be picked after all 6+ win teams are. (He was mad that two bad MWC teams were matched up in a shitty bowl.)

Lemme see now
Hawaii Bowl got SD State
Poinsettia got Boise
New Mexico got New Mexico
Idaho Potato got Utah State
Arizona gets Nevada AND Colorado State (the latter filling a C-USA slot)
Armed Forces gets Air Force
-----
that's seven teams for the six bowls that the MWC had contractual ties to (Hawaii/Las Vegas being a split deal)

Then San Jose State got the unfilled-by-the-All America Conf. spot in the Cure Bowl

-------------------

While some of the angst might be genuine, I'd have to think that some of it also stems from the Arizona Bowl being likely among the lowest paying of all the bowls (the only one without a set figure for payouts, instead being based on sponsor & ticket revenue)

In other years 2 of those 8 MWC teams that are bowling could have easily been left at home so I'm not sure I'd complain too much if I were the commish.
Old 12-26-2015, 06:39 PM   #85
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
and apparently only so many fans can attend. There have been bowls, including today, where there doesn't appear to have more than 1,000 people in attendance.

I know it's a losing proposition for some teams to travel to a low-tier bowl but I don't know how some of the bowls themselves can be profitable.

Official attendance figures for today (the ones that have been posted so far)
Washington vs S.Miss: 20,229
Miami vs Wash State: 41,180
UConn vs Marshall: 14,652

Like a lot of things, butts in seats don't matter nearly as much as tickets moved. Bowl games have been like that for as long as I can remember.
Old 12-26-2015, 08:01 PM   #86
Kodos
Resident Alien

That was a tough way to lose. So many missed chances.
Old 12-26-2015, 10:06 PM   #87
MrBug708
Head Coach

Im not sure if Mora still has this teams attention anymore. He's done a lot for UCLA, but it might be time for him to go back to the pros
Old 12-26-2015, 10:16 PM   #88
A-Husker-4-Life
College Prospect

hxxps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiaZdLI3JDc

They kicked him out of the game for tackling the correct way, this could have been the worst call I've seen.

Last edited by A-Husker-4-Life : 12-26-2015 at 10:27 PM.
A-Husker-4-Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 10:34 PM   #89
Atocep
Coordinator

That was a pretty bad call. Still not as bad as this one IMO:

Front Office Football Central - View Single Post - Official 2015 College Football Week 9 thread
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 10:37 PM   #90
A-Husker-4-Life
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post

That's equally as bad, I can't believe what is happening to a once great sport. It's almost like they want them to go low and take out the knees.
Old 12-26-2015, 11:05 PM   #91
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Im not sure if Mora still has this teams attention anymore. He's done a lot for UCLA, but it might be time for him to go back to the pros

The way he has performed this year, no pro team is going to want him.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 12:20 AM   #92
MrBug708
Head Coach

Recycled NFL coaches are always en vogue
Old 12-27-2015, 12:22 AM   #93
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

When each team/school is required to buy 10,000 seats at say ~$100 each..
The bowl has $2,000,000 to buy 200 ipads. Hire 50-100 "security" personnel and pay the refs.

Aint hard to be profitable
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 12:41 AM   #94
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
When each team/school is required to buy 10,000 seats at say ~$100 each..
The bowl has $2,000,000 to buy 200 ipads. Hire 50-100 "security" personnel and pay the refs.

Aint hard to be profitable

Gotta rent the stadium. And pay out the guarantee to the teams. But then again aren't most (all?) bowls owned by (technically) non-profit entities?
Old 12-27-2015, 12:48 AM   #95
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Gotta rent the stadium. And pay out the guarantee to the teams. But then again aren't most (all?) bowls owned by (technically) non-profit entities?

Exactly what is a non profit nowadays when the executives of said non-profits can earn millions.

The NFL head organization used to be (or is still transitioning from) a non-profit and Goodell pulls down tens of millions.
Old 12-27-2015, 01:37 AM   #96
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Exactly what is a non profit nowadays when the executives of said non-profits can earn millions.

That was kinda sorta my point
Old 12-27-2015, 01:43 AM   #97
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
That was kinda sorta my point

I need to stop posting while drinking...
Old 12-27-2015, 01:46 AM   #98
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

's okay, it might not have been crystal clear. I could have been attempting the opposite point ... just happens that I wasn't
Old 12-27-2015, 05:51 AM   #99
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Lemme see now
Hawaii Bowl got SD State
Poinsettia got Boise
New Mexico got New Mexico
Idaho Potato got Utah State
Arizona gets Nevada AND Colorado State (the latter filling a C-USA slot)
Armed Forces gets Air Force
-----
that's seven teams for the six bowls that the MWC had contractual ties to (Hawaii/Las Vegas being a split deal)

Then San Jose State got the unfilled-by-the-All America Conf. spot in the Cure Bowl

-------------------

While some of the angst might be genuine, I'd have to think that some of it also stems from the Arizona Bowl being likely among the lowest paying of all the bowls (the only one without a set figure for payouts, instead being based on sponsor & ticket revenue)

In other years 2 of those 8 MWC teams that are bowling could have easily been left at home so I'm not sure I'd complain too much if I were the commish.
Of course things are never as simple as they seem, but unless he was being the asshole (and pulling a PR boon), he had a point.
Quote:
We suggested swaps, alternative financial arrangements and creative options. Unfortunately, no one was willing to adjust and those efforts were to no avail. Following the outcome of last night's games, it became clear there were 80 teams for 80 bowl slots and the only two openings still available for a pair of MW teams would match them in the same game.
I normally couldn't give a care less about Colorado State, and Wyoming, or Tulane, or whoever, but if we have 20 7-5/6/6/5-7 teams playing each other in mneanigless games it should be possible to avoid matching teams from the same conference. But that assumes people are actually interested in the greater good.
Quote:

Kid thinks they care about attendance

Bowls have some well intentioned people involved, but in the end they're dominated by the leeches that can sell an idea to people and profit off it without actually creating any value. The city can lose money, both schools can lose money, but the organizer never does.
Quote:
Please don't. This forum's lost enough interaction as is!
Old 12-27-2015, 06:09 AM   #100
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
They're not going to bother with taller posts at Yankee Stadium.
They won't because...

I understand cost concerns, or feasibility problems. We went through a war over introducing shot clocks to D1 lacrosse schools because a couple itsy-bitsy D2/3 schools claimed they couldn't afford the $2200 ish a basic one would cost. But (at least medium term) there is no reason it has to be more expensive, or "dangerous", or whatever. Like Suicane said, worst case just throw an antenna up on top. It's happened in a (pretty big to people who cared) week 1 NFL game 2? years ago... Imagine if that was the Pats/Ravens playoff game?

It's going to "decide" an important game eventually. Can we be proactive in something?