Is Oklahoma one for #3?
Old 01-04-2016, 01:26 PM   #303
Butter
Coordinator

Guess not.
Old 01-04-2016, 01:32 PM   #304
digamma
Torchbearer

They won the 2000 national championship.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 01:36 PM   #305
Butter
Coordinator

Yeah, I meant #2, and then I looked it up and their current stadium is just over 80k. So I was wrong in varying, multiple ways.
Old 01-05-2016, 06:11 PM   #306
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Man, we were headed to Arizona to watch the game Monday. But after sitting in an office with a guy listening to ESPN radio all day I have realized I am wasting my time.

Sounds like the best thing for Clemson to do is meet the Tide at mid-field kiss the ring and beg for their very survival since they obviously have no chance in beating this juggernaut.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 07:42 PM   #307
clemsonfan
High School JV

Just booked our trip to the CFP! Go Tigers!
clemsonfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 08:46 PM   #308
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
Man, we were headed to Arizona to watch the game Monday. But after sitting in an office with a guy listening to ESPN radio all day I have realized I am wasting my time.

Sounds like the best thing for Clemson to do is meet the Tide at mid-field kiss the ring and beg for their very survival since they obviously have no chance in beating this juggernaut.

Smart man. SEC! SEC!

If thats what it takes to get you, Dabo, and the Tigers fired up, then have at it. Keep playing that card if it gets you a ring, true or not. Regardless, it should be a great game.
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 12:03 AM   #309
Edward64
Head Coach

Let's be clear, its the SEC West.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 06:46 AM   #310
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerSimpson98 View Post
Smart man. SEC! SEC!

If thats what it takes to get you, Dabo, and the Tigers fired up, then have at it. Keep playing that card if it gets you a ring, true or not. Regardless, it should be a great game.

It really doesn't matter what it takes to get the fans fired up. But Alabama opening as a 7 point favorite in addition to the predictable, numerous, majority media picks of Alabama aren't a figment of someone's imagination.

I'm anticipating a great game that could go either way. I think this is far from Saban's best team, but even so if they play a great game they could well win because he always has the talent.

Clemson has spent years trying to figure out what it takes to compete on a truly elite level. We'll see if they finally have it down or if this is another disappointment.

Last edited by Butter : 01-06-2016 at 06:51 AM.
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 09:44 AM   #311
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

Right and I get that. But what would you set the betting line at? On paper, the Bama athletes are superior to Clemson's. I am not sure how that can be argued, but I am sure someone will. The Bama front 4 matches up very well with the Clemson ground attack. The key is obviously Watson. If he can break containment, complete a few throws, it could neutralize Bama's strength. On the other hand, I am afraid they'll break him in two.

Bama O is not great by any means. But the Clemson D isnt the 85 Bears either. And we still dont know how effective Shaq will be. Coker was very good in beating a very good Sparty defense and if that continues, then Clemson cant just put 8 in the box to stop Henry. The Tiger D played very well against OU, no question. But OU was the worst of the 4 playoff teams.

Regardless of what happens, it will be a great season by Clemson. I'm just getting tired of all the anti-SEC crap.
Old 01-06-2016, 09:46 AM   #312
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
I'm just getting tired of all the anti-SEC crap.

This is funny.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 09:50 AM   #313
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

I meant it to be directed at message board postings and not the dipshit talking heads at CBS and E!SPN. Maybe thats the trade-off I guess.

I still cant believe I heard Herbie say that Michigan State needs to tear down their program after the latest Bama blowout. So ridiculous and uncalled for. Sparty is close and that game simply got out of hand for them. No need to torch the place.
Old 01-06-2016, 10:19 AM   #314
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Remember how the 2005 USC team was anointed the "greatest team ever" prior to the game against Texas?
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 10:28 AM   #315
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Homer,
My post was in response to listening to an ESPN talking head state "If Clemson keeps it a little closer than MSU that should be considered a moral victory for the Tigers."

The best CB Bama will face all year will be Monday night.
Mackenzie Alexander hasn't given up a TD catch in 19 games and has given up 1 in 2 years. On a play he fell down. I think it is entirely possible Mac takes Ridley out of the game 1-on-1. If he can do that, and look even limiting him to ~60 yards receiving and 1 TD is taking him away, that frees up an extra man to shade the middle and drop down to help stop Henry.

Clemson is nearly as deep across the front 4 as Bama on D. Actually I'd submit Clemson's interior DT is better/deeper than Bama's but Bama DEFINITELY has the edge at DE even with Lawson, who wont play much.(I know this is a bit of a tough comp because Clemson plays an even 4 down front most of the time while Bama plays a lot of 3 down and a result Clemson needs more bodies to fill 2 spots than Bama needs to fill 1).

Bama is good but they aren't the 85 Bears either. The 2 B1G wins were against teams that played into Saban's wheelhouse and tried to line up and smash him. You can't line up and smash Bama. However if you make their 260lbn LB'ers chase TE and Slot guys all day...

Look at how much trouble UT gave Bama. UT actually runs a more similar offense to Clemson than Ole Miss does, despite Ole Miss having our former 3rd string QB leading the way. UT however doesnt have the horses Clemson has.

Look I am not blind homer here. Bama is DAMN good. But so is Clemson. This is going to be a game of momentum. Either team could win and the score could be any of 4 directions.

But all the talk of Bama just wearing Clemson down and then drilling them in the 4th quarter....Clemson may do the same to tired Bama LB'ers who have been chasing guys horizontally all game.

If I were setting the line, I'd favor Bama by 3'. I think thats right, FWIW.
Old 01-06-2016, 10:44 AM   #316
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Right and I get that. But what would you set the betting line at?

Even.
Old 01-06-2016, 10:46 AM   #317
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Remember how the 2005 USC team was anointed the "greatest team ever" prior to the game against Texas?

Vince Young was fantastic in that game. He won the game.

G'damn, was that back in 2005?
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 11:25 AM   #318
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
I meant it to be directed at message board postings and not the dipshit talking heads at CBS and E!SPN. Maybe thats the trade-off I guess.

I still cant believe I heard Herbie say that Michigan State needs to tear down their program after the latest Bama blowout. So ridiculous and uncalled for. Sparty is close and that game simply got out of hand for them. No need to torch the place.

Huh. I love Herbstreit, but that was a dumb thing to say.
Old 01-06-2016, 12:18 PM   #319
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

excellent discussion guys. This is why I like coming to this place and chatting especially with CU Tiger. Great discussion and not the OMG!WTF!LOLZ crap i see on college message boards.
Old 01-06-2016, 12:21 PM   #320
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
G'damn, was that back in 2005?

The game was in 2006, 10 years ago this past Monday.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 12:23 PM   #321
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post

Sure do. But I also remember Texas being number 2 that entire year, and living here, I got to see those dudes roll through the season in dominant fashion as well. Where everyone short-sighted the Horns was in the athletic ability - they matched up with USC horse-for-horse. Their defense had what, 6-7 NFL starters at that time?!?!?!

Having said that, Reggie Bush's dumbass lateral and Pete's inability to recognize VY couldnt throw for shit, just stop him from running, cost them that game. And VY refused to lose Hate that guy but massive respect for him.
Old 01-06-2016, 12:30 PM   #322
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
Homer,
My post was in response to listening to an ESPN talking head state "If Clemson keeps it a little closer than MSU that should be considered a moral victory for the Tigers."

The best CB Bama will face all year will be Monday night.
Mackenzie Alexander hasn't given up a TD catch in 19 games and has given up 1 in 2 years. On a play he fell down. I think it is entirely possible Mac takes Ridley out of the game 1-on-1. If he can do that, and look even limiting him to ~60 yards receiving and 1 TD is taking him away, that frees up an extra man to shade the middle and drop down to help stop Henry.

Clemson is nearly as deep across the front 4 as Bama on D. Actually I'd submit Clemson's interior DT is better/deeper than Bama's but Bama DEFINITELY has the edge at DE even with Lawson, who wont play much.(I know this is a bit of a tough comp because Clemson plays an even 4 down front most of the time while Bama plays a lot of 3 down and a result Clemson needs more bodies to fill 2 spots than Bama needs to fill 1).

Bama is good but they aren't the 85 Bears either. The 2 B1G wins were against teams that played into Saban's wheelhouse and tried to line up and smash him. You can't line up and smash Bama. However if you make their 260lbn LB'ers chase TE and Slot guys all day...

Look at how much trouble UT gave Bama. UT actually runs a more similar offense to Clemson than Ole Miss does, despite Ole Miss having our former 3rd string QB leading the way. UT however doesnt have the horses Clemson has.

Look I am not blind homer here. Bama is DAMN good. But so is Clemson. This is going to be a game of momentum. Either team could win and the score could be any of 4 directions.

But all the talk of Bama just wearing Clemson down and then drilling them in the 4th quarter....Clemson may do the same to tired Bama LB'ers who have been chasing guys horizontally all game.

If I were setting the line, I'd favor Bama by 3'. I think thats right, FWIW.

First line - thats just ridiculous. Did that come straight from Finebaum's jack wagon mouth?

My concern for Clemson is that if the Bama front 4 can control the LOS and Ragland is athletic enough to run with Watson. That puts the onus on the Clemson passing game and Watson cant be as off as he was against OU. I am in total agreement that this will be a game of momentum. Hell, if CLemson gets up early on Bama, forcing Coker to beat them. I dont think he can. X Factor will be Cyrus Jones. If he can make some plays on returns and catch a few passes, that would be huge. But if he reverts to his dropping every other punt, that could kill the Tide.

And FYI, I'd have Bama by 4-4.5

Last edited by HomerSimpson98 : 01-06-2016 at 12:30 PM.
Old 01-06-2016, 01:21 PM   #323
tarcone
Coordinator

I wouldn't get to jacked up about The MSU victory. Spartys DBs have been average at best all year. I give credit to Bama for gameplanning to expose that. And then following through on that GP. Well done.

But Clemson is no MSU. Clemson is way more athletic and will be better against the pass than MSU.

Is Clemson big enough up front to slow down Henry? That Im not sure about.

But is Alabama fast enough to keep up with Clemsons offense?

I think this will be a whale of a game.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 01:28 PM   #324
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
First line - thats just ridiculous. Did that come straight from Finebaum's jack wagon mouth?

My concern for Clemson is that if the Bama front 4 can control the LOS and Ragland is athletic enough to run with Watson. That puts the onus on the Clemson passing game and Watson cant be as off as he was against OU. I am in total agreement that this will be a game of momentum. Hell, if CLemson gets up early on Bama, forcing Coker to beat them. I dont think he can. X Factor will be Cyrus Jones. If he can make some plays on returns and catch a few passes, that would be huge. But if he reverts to his dropping every other punt, that could kill the Tide.

And FYI, I'd have Bama by 4-4.5

No I'd expect it from Finebaum, it was from Carter or Mattich, one of their supposed "analysts".

Good points all around. Clemson's special teams scare me for sure.

Regarding making DW4 beat them passing, if you havent followed the team the Oklahoma game was an aberration, he was 2nd in the country in completion % on the year Losing one of his 2 favorite targerts 2 days before the game hurt tremendously. Clemson's passing game is a timing route based system where the QB releases the ball before a WR breaks. Route speed difference really hurt Deshaun. Plus there were 5 credited drops and he still threw over 50% despite having a horrible game. Watson is a better passer than a runner, though if you have only watched he last couple games I understand why you would question that.

Clemson can not line up and drive block Bama's DT of the line. The good news is they wont try. Even their inside run game is predicated on "leverage" blocks. It is more about tricking a defender to stepping the wrong way with false OL steps than it is smash and mash.

Conversly where Bama scares me, is crossing routes and swing routes where Clemson LBers have to cover. It is their Achilles heel and I have been shocked more havent exploited it. But the passes will have to come out quick because Clemson WILL get pressure on Coker. Coach Venables is getting pressure even if he kills himself doing it. Bama's Oline are manimals, for sure. But 5 guys cant block 7 and there will be 7 men pressuring more often than not regardless of formation.

[Funny side story: We were sitting front row kind of behind Oklahoma's bench in Miami. 3rd quarter their WR coach was going nuts talking about his WR running free all day and Mayfield not finding them. One of the defensive coaches ( I thought at the time it was Mike Stoops, but in relaying the story to a friend and OU fan he said Mike stays in the box so I dont know...) said, "it really doesn't matter, he can't afford to look down field."]

Bama's defense worries me because of their length and athleticism at DB. The horizontal screen game is a gamble because those dudes can pick it and outrun you the other way. Likewise with fade routes. They will out jump you and take it.
Old 01-06-2016, 01:34 PM   #325
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post

Is Clemson big enough up front to slow down Henry? That Im not sure about.

Starting 4 L-r
6'5 285 - 6'3" 335 - 6'3" 298 - 6'3" 280

2nd 4 l-r
6'4 260- 6'4" 310 - 6'5" 315 - 6'4 270

Size wont be the problem.

And that 2nd string 6'5 315 guy caught the long fake punt pass, can do a standing back flip and was all state in basketball his senior year.

And btw the #1 and #2 overall DTs in the nation are coming to Clemson next year to join the fold...
Old 01-06-2016, 02:36 PM   #326
Butter
Coordinator

Clemson's special teams, especially kickoff coverage, has been awful all year. Also, the punter is susceptible to a block, and the kicker has missed a few extra points and probably only has range to 45 yards. Clemson could lose this game in special teams.

As for fade routes, Clemson really hasn't run them this year, except with Leggett. If you get the TE matched on a LB and the fade is thrown properly, I like Leggett to win that matchup (if he can actually not drop it). But hopefully they don't get back to being too cute with the screen game and outsmart themselves. I don't think they will, but we'll see.

My worry is much like you've said... OJ Howard, their giant TE getting matched up on LBs, and Coker being able to pick out short crossing routes to beat the rush.

Last edited by Butter : 01-06-2016 at 02:37 PM.
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 04:57 PM   #327
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Coming up on the big game thought a few of you guys might appreciate this.

Quote:
CLEMSON -– Dabo and Tracy Swinney still haven’t erased the voicemails left by their father. They still go back and listen, thinking back to the meaningful and loving conversations that bloomed from a relationship repaired.

When a high-profile figure suffers a loss, as Dabo did in August when Ervil Swinney died from cancer, the outside world makes a story of it but then moves on to something else the next day. Dabo and Tracy did not move on. The feeling of loss is still very much with them, has been with them throughout a special season that has left Clemson fans pinching themselves with a mixture of delight and disbelief.

“The holidays are a little bit tougher for me,” Tracy said last month. “And I know they are for Dabo, too.”

By now you know all about the havoc and devastation Ervil’s alcoholism caused to his family. Dabo, the youngest of three boys, climbed onto the roof as a child to escape the venom and violence that accompanied his father’s heavy drinking. He and his mother Carol were basically homeless for a time, and she later lived with Dabo for three years when he was at Alabama.

But Ervil started to clean himself up about 15 years ago, and in recent years father and sons connected in a special way. After Ervil was diagnosed with cancer a second time in the spring of 2015, Dabo and Tracy talked him in to moving from Birmingham to Clemson so he could get his treatments in Greenville. Ervil lived in Dabo’s basement and they talked deep into many nights. Dabo often drove his father to Greenville when he was going through eight weeks of radiation and chemotherapy.

“We’ve all seen it on the outside,” said Woody McCorvey, one of Dabo’s trusted confidantes. “But there’s no telling what all went on with him and his dad riding in that truck from here to treatment, and some of the things they talked about while sitting at treatment.”

In August, Clemson was in the meat of August camp and the Swinney family was at the lake house on Keowee winding down after a long day. Ervil had gone back to Alabama because it was home, because he loved sitting at the M&M appliance store and telling stories with all his old friends. That’s where he died, sitting in that chair. He’d been telling everyone how great he felt as he awaited further testing to determine whether the cancer had gone. When the phone call came that day in August, they told Dabo and Tracy that their 70-year-old dad just stopped breathing as he sat in the chair. Ervil was scheduled to be back in Clemson two days later, to come to practice and spend more time with his family.

Dabo spoke at the funeral and it was predictably stirring, a mix of reality and humor and inspiration. He has been more emotional than usual at times during this 14-0 season that’s now one victory away from being a national championship season. He broke down on the sidelines when that win over Notre Dame was complete, largely because his dad couldn’t stop talking about the Notre Dame game before he died. That’s why the victory was a little more special than the others.

Dabo and Tracy embraced that night on the sideline, soaking wet. Then they laughed after agreeing that it wasn’t just Ben Boulware, Carlos Watkins and Kevin Dodd making that stop on the two-point conversion. They were convinced Big Erv also shot through a gap and helped keep DeShone Kizer short of the goal line in the 24-22 victory.

When he returned after the funeral, Dabo was back in his element because he said that’s what his father would’ve wanted.

“Literally, as soon as they put him in the grave, ‘All right, that’s enough. Get yourself back to work. We have some football games to win.’ That was Big Erv.”

That doesn’t mean getting past the loss has been easy. Dabo felt the emptiness each Sunday evening after finishing his weekly teleconference with the media to discuss the previous day’s game. That was the time he’d call dad to catch up.

McCorvey walks regularly, and he remembers walking down Berkeley Drive in Clemson over the summer and seeing Dabo coaching the Little League baseball team at Ashley Dearing Park. McCorvey grew accustomed to seeing Ervil sitting in the passenger seat of Dabo’s Toyota Tundra with the air conditioning cranked, intently watching his grandsons on the field.

“But then all of a sudden, a couple months later, it’s over,” McCorvey said.

Years ago, when Ervil couldn’t stay on the wagon, Tracy was done with him. He didn’t want to be around him. Dabo, though, wouldn’t give up.

Said Tracy: “Dabo, man, he kept hitting him and hitting him: ‘Come on, dad. You need to do this. You need to accept Christ in your life.’ But he still would fail to those demons for so many years. But for the last 15 years of his life, he did rededicate his life. He stopped drinking. He stopped smoking. He was having a great life. He was really happy, and we all enjoyed being around him.”

Big Erv was as big an Alabama fan as they come, going a long way toward explaining why Dabo was as big an Alabama fan as they come growing up in Pelham, Ala. The Crimson Tide and Tigers were Erv’s two favorite teams from the moment Swinney took a job as Clemson’s receivers coach in 2003.

And now the two teams are playing for it all. Big Erv’s presence will be in that dome Monday night in the desert, just as it’s been with Dabo and Tracy all along this season.

“I just have to believe he’s having a lot of fun up there and smiling down, because this would have been like his little shop down there, that little M&M Hardware store down there in Alabaster,” Dabo said. “It would have been a scene right now coming in to see my dad and talking about Alabama and Clemson.”

Said McCorvey: “He knew how much his dad was looking forward to this season. Even though he’s not here physically, Dabo feels like he’s watching from above.”
Old 01-08-2016, 01:07 PM   #328
Logan
Head Coach

The CFP committee can say all they want about how they're okay with the NYE playoff ratings, and they think they'll stake claim on the day over the next few years. But here is how it can actually be forced to change:

Media Buyers, ESPN Negotiating $20M in Bowl Game Ad Makegoods | Broadcasting & Cable
Old 01-08-2016, 03:10 PM   #329
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
The CFP committee can say all they want about how they're okay with the NYE playoff ratings, and they think they'll stake claim on the day over the next few years. But here is how it can actually be forced to change:

Media Buyers, ESPN Negotiating $20M in Bowl Game Ad Makegoods | Broadcasting & Cable

Some of that is on naive media buyers however. Anyone worth their salt KNEW that the numbers would be down. And that's idiotic buying on their part (something that isn't uncommon frankly)
Old 01-09-2016, 10:40 AM   #330
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Someone at ESPN other than Chris Brown actually coming in with a decent article about how Saban's been forced to change - How Alabama Crimson Tide caught up to the hurry-up - SEC Blog- ESPN

Now, we'll see Monday night if it's effective... or this is Johnny Manziel part II where Alabama geared their entire offseason around stopping him, then he/Mike Evans still put up 45 points, but it's nice to see how they've been tweaking things.

Last edited by BishopMVP : 01-09-2016 at 10:41 AM.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 11:54 AM   #331
PilotMan
Head Coach

C'mon who's watching? The BISON are on! I've been quiet all week. I just finished work and they are up 17-0 in the second quarter. ESPN 2. Watch it. Could be history today if they win.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 12:13 PM   #332
PilotMan
Head Coach

24-0 now.

Against the to ranked, only lost to Auburn, Jacksonville st team.

Like Steam?

Old 01-09-2016, 12:24 PM   #333
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
C'mon who's watching? The BISON are on! I've been quiet all week. I just finished work and they are up 17-0 in the second quarter. ESPN 2. Watch it. Could be history today if they win.

Was not expecting a blow-out. Game is basically over. What do you think are the NFL chances for your QB, PM? Some "experts" seem to think he could be a 1st round pick.
Thomkal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 12:25 PM   #334
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I worked the JSU playoff game where they went to OT...they don't have the defense needed to keep up with NDST. I figured this would be an easy Bison win.

Last edited by Dr. Sak : 01-09-2016 at 12:25 PM.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 12:48 PM   #335
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Was not expecting a blow-out. Game is basically over. What do you think are the NFL chances for your QB, PM? Some "experts" seem to think he could be a 1st round pick.

You know a lot of people were saying that this is the toughest challenge the Bison have had in the finals so far. I'll admit that I'm nervous still nervous. It looks good right now but...

As far as Wentz goes? He's clearly the biggest football star in North Dakota history. And I don't mean North Dakota State I mean the entire state. I think a lot of it will determine how he plays in the Senior Bowl. If he has a good showing he could be a mid first round pick. Although I think that might be a little high he's very rough around the edges as far as the NFL goes. Any normal year he's probably late two early three quarterback.

Like Steam?

Old 01-09-2016, 12:50 PM   #336
PilotMan
Head Coach

Anyone who says this game is over right now is crazy.

Like Steam?

Old 01-09-2016, 01:14 PM   #337
PilotMan
Head Coach

I was right. They are coming back. Buckle up.

Like Steam?

Old 01-09-2016, 01:51 PM   #338
PilotMan
Head Coach

Fourth quarter touchdown! Now I can breathe! Let's finish this! WOOHOO!

Like Steam?

Old 01-09-2016, 02:28 PM   #339
PilotMan
Head Coach

FIVE-IN-A-ROW!

Simply amazing. Something that has never been done in college football before. What a team. What a team. Wow.

Like Steam?

Old 01-09-2016, 02:29 PM   #340
Thomkal
Head Coach

Congrats to NDSU!
Thomkal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 02:32 PM   #341
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Had to at least vaguely pull for JSU on that one -- geography & all -- but can easily congratulate NDSU on their accomplishment.
Old 01-11-2016, 09:47 AM   #342
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

So I took the Tigers and the 7. But Im not real confident in it. I'm banking on Bama being a little overconfident and Clemson playing that underdog role to the max tonight. And I'm thinking Kiffin gets too cute and doesnt just pound Henry like he should.

The game is either going to be a Bama blowout or a close Clemson win. he momentum swings are going to be the key (obviously).

Cant wait.
Old 01-11-2016, 09:51 AM   #343
digamma
Torchbearer

There seems to be so little buzz for this game.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 10:31 AM   #344
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

There is no heat for this game at all. I forgot about it until this morning on the radio. I'm probably not going to watch either, unless I see it is close in the 4th, but what's going on? Are we just sick of Alabama now? Clemson really doesn't do anything for this game, obviously, but I thought there would be some hype going in.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 10:55 AM   #345
Logan
Head Coach

I forgot about it until this morning as well. I think it's because NYE feels like a really long time ago, and those games were so boring for the most part that they didn't leave much of an impression or a feeling that you HAVE to see what these teams will do against each other.

Personally though, I think Clemson definitely has a shot and I'm excited to watch (now that I remember).
Old 01-11-2016, 12:42 PM   #346
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Should be a fantastic game unless turnovers tip the scale.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 12:50 PM   #347
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
I forgot about it until this morning as well. I think it's because NYE feels like a really long time ago, and those games were so boring for the most part that they didn't leave much of an impression or a feeling that you HAVE to see what these teams will do against each other.

It might make more money in the long run, but putting the semi-finals on NYE seems like it is having this negative ripple effect. I cared more about the NC when I actually watched the semis.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 01:11 PM   #348
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
It might make more money in the long run, but putting the semi-finals on NYE seems like it is having this negative ripple effect. I cared more about the NC when I actually watched the semis.

For years so many people complained about wanting "playoffs" now this common reaction of caring more when it was played earlier. Seems like a no win situation for the NCAA. Personally, I like this better than no playoffs but preferred the golden age of college football in the mid/late 80s even more when it seemed every New Years game had meaningful impact.

IMO playing this game on a Saturday or Sunday night around the NFL playoffs would be better placement.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 01:17 PM   #349
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
For years so many people complained about wanting "playoffs" now this common reaction of caring more when it was played earlier. Seems like a no win situation for the NCAA. Personally, I like this better than no playoffs but preferred the golden age of college football in the mid/late 80s even more when it seemed every New Years game had meaningful impact.

IMO playing this game on a Saturday or Sunday night around the NFL playoffs would be better placement.

I think as you said it, better placement would actually make the playoffs more interesting. The Semis should be on New Years Day. Or, at least, primetime on Jan 1 and Jan 2. Then have the final on the Saturday evening following. Of course, they do it Monday night to avoid going up against the NFL playoffs - but maybe something can be worked out?
Old 01-11-2016, 01:20 PM   #350
henry296
College Starter

The gap between semi-finals and championship is the same this year as last year since New Years Day was Thursday last year.