Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: If Trump Loses In November, What Do You Think Happens Next
Normal transition of power. He meets with Biden, stays until 1/20, comes to inauguration, etc. 5 5.56%
He doesn't fight the result, but resigns prior to the inauguration. 2 2.22%
He fights the result but gives up shortly before the inauguration (let's define "shortly" as "some time after the EC meets on 12/14") 30 33.33%
He fights the result all the way to January 20th. Has to be physically removed. 12 13.33%
He fights the result for a short time, but gives up and resigns before the inauguration 6 6.67%
He fights the result for a short time, but gives up an then we have a normal transition as per option 1. 30 33.33%
Other. (You know you gotta specify this one.) 5 5.56%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-08-2022, 03:05 AM   #6601
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Not sure the best thread for this, but the quote was too good not to share.

From a campaign adviser to one of Herschel's primary opponents, describing the Walker campaign

“Herschel was like a plane crash into a train wreck that rolled into a dumpster fire. And an orphanage. Then an animal shelter. You kind of had to watch it squinting through one eye between your fingers,”

An article in the AJC describes some of the dysfunction within the campaign. Among the key points was the high level of involvement of Walker's wife who, two anonymous insiders allege, was obsessed with winning a majority of the black vote despite pretty much everyone telling her that was an impossibility. She also had complete control of the candidate's social media.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 12-08-2022 at 03:07 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 07:12 AM   #6602
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Who was the brave speechwriter who helped him weigh in on the vampire v werewolf debate?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 07:30 AM   #6603
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Who was the brave speechwriter who helped him weigh in on the vampire v werewolf debate?

SI

Or the scientist who helped with the good air/bad air theory?
Old 12-08-2022, 08:35 AM   #6604
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Not sure the best thread for this, but the quote was too good not to share.

From a campaign adviser to one of Herschel's primary opponents, describing the Walker campaign

“Herschel was like a plane crash into a train wreck that rolled into a dumpster fire. And an orphanage. Then an animal shelter. You kind of had to watch it squinting through one eye between your fingers,”

An article in the AJC describes some of the dysfunction within the campaign. Among the key points was the high level of involvement of Walker's wife who, two anonymous insiders allege, was obsessed with winning a majority of the black vote despite pretty much everyone telling her that was an impossibility. She also had complete control of the candidate's social media.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post

SI

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Or the scientist who helped with the good air/bad air theory?

And despite it all the vote was close. How is that even possible?
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 09:06 AM   #6605
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed View Post

Racist cowardly white people
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 09:07 AM   #6606
miked
College Starter

It's the new R party, it matters not the slightest bit of who it is, just that they will vote to own libs and nothing else. The fact that we got 48+ of the vote is insane. He did not live in GA, he would probably be the dumbest senator in history (or at least top 10), he fathered children he abandoned, paid for abortions, and abused women. Yet all these old white christian folk voted for him because the pastor wants men to play women's collegiate sports.
Old 12-08-2022, 11:14 AM   #6607
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
It's the new R party, it matters not the slightest bit of who it is, just that they will vote to own libs and nothing else. The fact that we got 48+ of the vote is insane. He did not live in GA, he would probably be the dumbest senator in history (or at least top 10), he fathered children he abandoned, paid for abortions, and abused women. Yet all these old white christian folk voted for him because the pastor wants men to play women's collegiate sports.

Normally I don't comment too much on a lot of these issues but.. You think it's just white Christians that care about the bold? I think a lot of folks, me having a daughter and granddaughters too, being one, think it comes down to fairness to the girls. I don't intend to go back and forth about it but, in my mind that is the issue. I can feel for the trans folks affected and also think that "fix" isn't right without being Christian or transphobic (is that the right term?).

Other than that I agree with everything you said. As for me? In this race, even though I don't agree on biological males playing with the females, I would vote for Warnock. It's folks that vote on only one issue, that are the problem (lots of Christians for sure). The far right is much worse than the far left, ie they have no problem destroying democracy to seize power. Something I never thought possible in this country. Maybe I was naive? Thankfully in this just completed election it appears the middle was scared more by the far right than the far left. I hope it stays that way but am not confident it will. Many times it was thought Hitler was done and would never gain power. How'd that work out?

I for one used to vote for the candidate I thought was the best for the job. I now, and for the last few years, vote straight (D) until, or if, the (R's) come back to reality. Even if that happens it's going to be a tough sell for them to get me to consider anyone they run. The only exception would be someone that stood up when needed, like a Chaney or Kinzinger. Anyone that enabled any of the bullshit that has gone on is politically dead. Any new blood the R's bring into the ring will be met with extreme skepticism and stands almost no chance with me either. You reap what you sow.
Old 12-08-2022, 11:49 AM   #6608
cuervo72
Head Coach

I have great respect for Chaney and Kinzinger, but at the same time they still vote and think the same way as most of the other R's on most of these issues, so I'm not sure there's any going back for me.
Old 12-08-2022, 12:23 PM   #6609
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
I have great respect for Chaney and Kinzinger, but at the same time they still vote and think the same way as most of the other R's on most of these issues, so I'm not sure there's any going back for me.

Yeah, I'd definitely take into account the policies they were supporting before voting for them. However they were the only two I could think of that have stood up against the bullshit. That at least earns them a look. There may be more but, none from my home state of Iowa Grassley could have stood up with all of his time in government but... no. :embarrassed:

I'm well aware my votes pretty much don't count. I also see folks I grew up with going totally off the deep end and telling me the what is really going on because they read it "somewhere". It's unbelievable but, there it is.
Old 12-08-2022, 03:49 PM   #6610
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

You have to give them credit, either they're gonna win on their terms or they're going to give it all they got in defeat...

Ethics Commission To Affirm Mississippi Legislature Not A ‘Public Body’
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 04:19 PM   #6611
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed View Post

Look, I sat the race out (both rounds) since I don't believe either should be anywhere near D.C. except maybe as a tourist.

But as for close, but for Fulton and (or) DeKalb County Walker would have won going away. The vote gap is 97,000 (out of 3.5 million votes).

There were 77 counties* that were 70% (or more) for Walker.
There were just 6 counties that were 70% (or more) for Warnock.
The Warnock edge in just DeKalb and Fulton alone? 394,000 votes.

*out of 159 counties, for some perspective
Old 12-08-2022, 05:36 PM   #6612
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

There are roughly 35 counties with under 10K people, so who really cares how many Warnock won. Land doesn't vote.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 06:06 PM   #6613
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
There are roughly 35 counties with under 10K people, so who really cares how many Warnock won. Land doesn't vote.

I was more addressing the issue of how it could be close. People only familiar with one part of the state often have problems comprehending that any other part of the state exists (or how incredibly different those parts are).

The geographic issue relates to how the old familiar adage about "two Georgias" (a familiar refrain for decades) is very much alive & well, perhaps more than ever.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 12-08-2022 at 06:08 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 06:15 PM   #6614
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Yeah, there is definitely two Georgia's, though the more urban part has been bleeding further out of the metro for the last few years.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 06:19 PM   #6615
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

In the end, Georgia is still a red state. It is just not a Trump state. Governor Kemp is likely to become Senator Kemp in four years. He will beat Ossoff unless there is a major scandal in the next four years. There wasn't a Democrat that won a single state wide office this term except for Warnock.

GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 06:29 PM   #6616
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
In the end, Georgia is still a red state. It is just not a Trump state. Governor Kemp is likely to become Senator Kemp in four years. He will beat Ossoff unless there is a major scandal in the next four years. There wasn't a Democrat that won a single state wide office this term except for Warnock.

And you go back to the two Georgias (which is really three) there yet again really. Outside the counties touching the ITPs it is very much a Trump state. (Enough so that I worry DeSantis would have trouble winning the next primary if that's the choice)

And being a Kemp state just means that it's quite purple in some areas. Do not count me among those the least bit confused about those who voted the Kemp/Warnock combo.

I've sat out the last two governor's races and now two Senate races. Kemp still wins for now because there are a lot of people who are willing to vote for pseudocons just to vote against a (D)
Old 12-08-2022, 06:50 PM   #6617
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed
despite it all the vote was close. How is that even possible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72

cuervo has the answer. The party/platform is all that matters for most voters. Not all voters, so particularly bad candidates still swing elections, and meh ones in close elections, but for the most of the electorate integrity is irrelevant, fitness for office is irrelevant, being somebody you could talk to for five minutes without wanting to punch you in the face is irrelevant.

We go around in the circle about this every once in a while on this forum. People will laud Amash/Cheney/whoever for 'doing the right thing' and 'I don't understand why more Republicans don't'. This of course is why. They are doing what their voters want. There is nothing remotely close to electability if you aren't virulently against 'the other side', whatever that may happen to mean at the moment. We (royal we as a nation/electorate) do not really want candidates who will do the right thing. Comparatively we couldn't care less about that. If we want a government of people who will put integrity over party, then we have to vote that way, which means supporting those who vote against bills we want passed or for bills that we don't want passed if they are also statesmen of principle.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 12-08-2022 at 09:39 PM.
Brian Swartz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 09:21 PM   #6618
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post

I think you are right about Kemp.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 11:54 PM   #6619
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
And you go back to the two Georgias (which is really three) there yet again really. Outside the counties touching the ITPs it is very much a Trump state. (Enough so that I worry DeSantis would have trouble winning the next primary if that's the choice)

And being a Kemp state just means that it's quite purple in some areas. Do not count me among those the least bit confused about those who voted the Kemp/Warnock combo.

I've sat out the last two governor's races and now two Senate races. Kemp still wins for now because there are a lot of people who are willing to vote for pseudocons just to vote against a (D)

It's a Trump state in a primary, not a Trump state in a general. Kind of the same issue in Arizona and Pennsylvania.

Still think if Republicans had nominated someone who could string a sentence together and wasn't handpicked by Trump, they'd have that Senate seat.

It's a purple state now regardless. The shift in some of those suburbs is pretty dramatic. Gwinnett went from Romney +9 in 2012 to Warnock +24. It's slowly turning into Virginia.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 11:58 PM   #6620
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post

The difference in Cheney and a Trump Republican is the latter says the quiet part out loud. Cheney cares about "decorum" and being invited to the next cocktail party.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 12:31 AM   #6621
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
. It's slowly turning into Virginia.

A significant reason that I have very little notion that I'll still be here by the next election
Old 12-15-2022, 10:24 AM   #6622
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Trumps major announcement is really something else...

Old 12-15-2022, 10:33 AM   #6623
Kodos
Resident Alien

At least make them stickers that you could put on your bumper to own the liberals!
Old 12-15-2022, 10:34 AM   #6624
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
A significant reason that I have very little notion that I'll still be here by the next election

JonInMiddleFLA?
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 10:44 AM   #6625
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Trumps major announcement is really something else...

Da fuq?
Old 12-15-2022, 11:32 AM   #6626
Atocep
Coordinator

I guess after they realized The Boys was making fun of them they decided they needed their own super hero merch
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 12:02 PM   #6627
PilotMan
Head Coach

Good news in the Michigan kidnapping case. Three of them going away for years and years.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 12:10 PM   #6628
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Today is the first day I'm no longer convinced Trump will actually run. I know he hates losing and maybe he's going to take his ball and go home instead.
Old 12-15-2022, 12:18 PM   #6629
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

I don't know who had "creates NFT trading cards of himself in heroic roles" in the office pool, but that person is a genius.

Even if he runs and support among Republicans is down to 2% (at the rate he's been clowning himself since the 2020 election, he might get there), he'll still win the primary because every Democrat in the country will cross the aisle to vote for him.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 12:24 PM   #6630
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Today is the first day I'm no longer convinced Trump will actually run. I know he hates losing and maybe he's going to take his ball and go home instead.

I've never thought he'd make it to the primary. I'm more interested in how he backs out and who he tries to take down with him when he does.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 12:58 PM   #6631
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Doesn't look good for the "No, no, no, NFTs aren't just for money laundering" crowd today

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 07:14 AM   #6632
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
JonInMiddleFLA?

Will did go to law school in Miami . . . :-)
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 07:27 AM   #6633
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
I don't know who had "creates NFT trading cards of himself in heroic roles" in the office pool, but that person is a genius.

Even if he runs and support among Republicans is down to 2% (at the rate he's been clowning himself since the 2020 election, he might get there), he'll still win the primary because every Democrat in the country will cross the aisle to vote for him.

He who wants to launder a bunch of money for someone?

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 07:49 AM   #6634
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

MiddleFLA is Orlando though, right? Doesn't strike me as Jon's type of place.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 08:21 AM   #6635
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Middle Florida might be some place like Lakeland. It’s basically impossible to fly into, yet my Mom stays there in the winter. Like pick your poison, Orlando or Tampa

Last edited by stevew : 12-16-2022 at 08:24 AM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 09:28 AM   #6636
Ksyrup

Or Ocala, where the sweet tea line sits and basically divides the rest of Florida from "southern GA."

I went to undergrad in Lakeland but I haven't been back in at least 25 years. The one good thing about it is that it's pretty much in between Orlando and Tampa area, off I-4.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 12-16-2022, 09:55 AM   #6637
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Trump NFT Collection Sells Out, Price Surges

So this is the point where Trump dumps the NFTs he "bought" himself in order to rake in extra cash right?
Old 12-16-2022, 10:02 AM   #6638
Swaggs
Coordinator

It will be interesting, down the road, to see how much actual involvement Trump had with the NFT or if some upstart crypto bro already had it laid out and pitched it to him as low effort, quick cash for his NIL. It is almost certainly going to be manipulated now, but by Trump or by someone like SBF will be fun to watch unfold.
Swaggs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 10:23 AM   #6639
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

It's actually pretty impressive. Getting involved with NFTs is one of a vanishingly few remaining ways to make Trump's negative impact on society even more comprehensive than it already was.
Brian Swartz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 10:37 AM   #6640
Ksyrup

Just what the world needs - a second bored ape NFT.
Old 12-16-2022, 10:45 AM   #6641
Kodos
Resident Alien

I'll certainly line up to buy something that is really nothing!
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 10:50 AM   #6642
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

He must be so happy. He put pictures of himself up for sale, and demand was high.

That’s pure Trump catnip.
Old 12-16-2022, 11:09 AM   #6643
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
JonInMiddleFLA?

More likely SouthFL, or thereabouts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
Or Ocala, where the sweet tea line sits and basically divides the rest of Florida from "southern GA."

Funny you mention that (Ocala, not the sweet tea part). My wife had pretty much decided by, I dunno, 2020 or so I guess that if Will truly intended to stay down there then we were Florida bound as soon as it was practical (remember, her mother is here in GA now). And the, let's call 'em 55+ communities cause "senior living communities" sounds waaaay older, had a pretty strong appeal to her.

Will wasn't a fan of the location because "hell, that's almost too far away from Miami to even count as moving here, c'mon closer"

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight
Will did go to law school in Miami . . . :-)

Yep, you nailed it square on. I still have some reservations about being too close because I'm a really strong proponent of the "give your kids room to make their own lives" approach but he has certainly made it clear that he wants me to move down there since he has every intention of staying.

My bare minimum threshold for separation has been "okay, I absolutely do not want us shopping the same Publix" but as I've gotten more familiar with the areas that make up "Miami" I'll admit that keeping 1-2 Publix apart while still being in "Miami" isn't really that hard to accomplish.

IF this house I'm in now was already cleared out & sold, etc. I'll admit that I found a place that I REALLY thought I might like. It's all of two blocks from his current condo which led to this conversation:

Him: "So does that mean you've eased on on having different Publix?"
Me: "No, it means you'll obviously have to move"
Old 12-16-2022, 11:58 AM   #6644
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I think it is wonderful that you have this great relationship with him, Jon.

I hope to keep that up with my boys when they become men.

I also think that you can live pretty close to him but still give him his space. Even if you are a five minute drive away, it isn't like you'll be over at his house every day like a sitcom side character. But, when you do want to go watch a game or whatever, it's a short drive.
Old 12-16-2022, 12:03 PM   #6645
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post

I am truly blessed in that regard.
Old 12-16-2022, 12:06 PM   #6646
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post

I hope to keep that up with my boys when they become men.

I also think that you can live pretty close to him but still give him his space. Even if you are a five minute drive away, it isn't like you'll be over at his house every day like a sitcom side character. But, when you do want to go watch a game or whatever, it's a short drive.

Couldn't agree more with the bolded part. Being close to him is what you make of it. Unannounced visits, etc...would make it tough. I live 5 minutes from my wifes parents and it is great because they can easily pop over to let the dog out, get kids off the bus, etc....and likewise I can do stuff for them. We share an Acme and rarely see each other there.
Old 12-16-2022, 12:36 PM   #6647
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Couldn't agree more with the bolded part. Being close to him is what you make of it. Unannounced visits, etc...would make it tough. I live 5 minutes from my wifes parents and it is great because they can easily pop over to let the dog out, get kids off the bus, etc....and likewise I can do stuff for them. We share an Acme and rarely see each other there.

It's just something that I'm REALLY paranoid about.

Just about every good, fun, enjoyable, worthwhile, profitable, beneficial, meaningful (okay, you get the idea I guess) thing that happened to me AND/OR my wife was directly related to our intentional choice to get far enough away from "home" and find our own way(s) of creating a life. And I don't even mean just the years together, I mean in the years prior to ever meeting each other.

You wanna talk about something I absolutely could not live with nor forgive myself for, it'd be interfering with his opportunity to do the same. It'll all work out, we'll figure it out in a way that works for us, but I'm likely to always try to err on the side of caution about it as you can probably tell.

And my apology to anyone who might be annoyed by the sidebar this kinda turned into. Honestly, I was a couple posts in before I even thought about what thread it was in. Any derailment was unintentional.
Old 12-16-2022, 12:41 PM   #6648
Ksyrup

I wonder if it's different with girls. Neither of my girls wanted to go too far away. Caitlin even transferred to a SB program closer to home for the final 2 years. Mackenzie is at EKU, 45 minutes away, and comes home nearly every weekend.

My mom says that we gave them much too good a life growing up and if we had done it right, they'd not want to come back so much.

I couldn't wait to go away, but I only went 3.5 hours away - far enough that I only came home 3-4 times a semester, but not so far that I would have to fly home. My wife, OTOH, lived at home during college. Part of that was the economic reality for her parents (she worked a full-time job while going to school), but part of it was that she wanted to stay. And her parents have now moved near us, leaving Florida for Kentucky. I tend to think a decent part of the disparity between me and her and the kids is that they're female.
Old 12-16-2022, 12:49 PM   #6649
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I wonder if it's different with girls. Neither of my girls wanted to go too far away. Caitlin even transferred to a SB program closer to home for the final 2 years. Mackenzie is at EKU, 45 minutes away, and comes home nearly every weekend.

My mom says that we gave them much too good a life growing up and if we had done it right, they'd not want to come back so much.

I couldn't wait to go away, but I only went 3.5 hours away - far enough that I only came home 3-4 times a semester, but not so far that I would have to fly home. My wife, OTOH, lived at home during college. Part of that was the economic reality for her parents (she worked a full-time job while going to school), but part of it was that she wanted to stay. And her parents have now moved near us, leaving Florida for Kentucky. I tend to think a decent part of the disparity between me and her and the kids is that they're female.

I think maybe for both me & my wife, it was more a function of "where is X,Y,and Z that I want" and that happened to be a couple area codes away from where we grew up.

The advantage to that sort of distance played out for both of us in the freedom to figure out what sort of life we (individually) wanted to have, without being nudged (or dragged) into/away from wherever that figuring-it-out process took out. We made our share of mistakes, took our share of lumps, but both considered that just part of the learning process. And we were both more comfortable learning without feeling like we were under observation.

In Will's case, it isn't so much that I worry about directly interfering but rather about being an interruption in the flow as he checks on me, makes sure I leave the house often enough, etc etc etc. That just feels like MY responsibility, not one he should be even tempted to do much of. God knows, circumstances have put a ton of responsibility on his shoulders at too young an age, last thing I can handle is adding even more to that.
Old 12-16-2022, 01:00 PM   #6650
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

My M-I-L lives close to us (and to her other daughter).

On balance, it has been great for things like "run over and let the dog out"

And having our kids growing up knowing their grandma has been wonderful.

I think that you would need to take it on yourself to find things to do--hobbies, etc. that get you out of the house.

I could see a problem if you moved there and said "Now, entertain me."

But you are clearly very aware of that as a potential problem. So you can, IMO, be pretty close as a matter of geography as long as you were also doing your part to build a life independent of him (WWII book clubs with other old dudes and shit like that :-))

All that said, if moving 45 minutes away instead of 15 gives you a sense of space that you want, then roll with that, too.