Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-29-2021, 09:48 AM   #3301
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Watched John Wick 1-2-3 past couple days.

1 is pretty good just because it was the first.

2 was also pretty good. I like the Rome scenes.

3 was not as good as 1 and 2 but still fun. There was at least 1 fight scene where John Wick did a back kick that was comical. The fight scenes seemed slower and could have been better choreographed (or sped up).

I also realized that John Wick was many time surprised when he ran out of bullets. I thought pros counted bullets as they shot.

We watched 1 last night and it was fine. It was a simple revenge tale - we spend about 10 mins showing Wick's character, his loss, and his bad day that led to him being drug back into the underworld. It's a good exercise in showing, not telling. And it doesn't need to be any more complicated than that. As an aside, I feel like if the Russian had just said "John, my son made an awful, stupid mistake - what can we do to make it right" on the phone call, they could have worked this out "man to man".

It's a pretty short movie - like 100 minutes - and it feels like a discount John Woo movie: our main character spends the next hour going from set piece to set piece, against increasingly difficult odds, shooting bad guys until he gets to mini boss and then final boss. It even has the fairly formulaic - show he's increasingly badass shaking off the rust, then show he's unbeatable, then weaken him with an injury. Also, make him a likeable killer so you're rooting for him against the bad guys and even give him a partner in crime that he could lose. Go light on exposition so he seems mysterious but have him the man about town who clearly knows everyone and everyone knows him - basically make him a "women want him and men want to be like him" stereotype. Structurally it all makes sense.

The action sequences are a little bit of budget John Woo and I'm saying that as praise, not an insult. It is decently choreographed so it's not the "herky jerky" action sequences that have been standard since right around Daniel Craig James Bond (which was jarring and awful coming off of the artistic wire fu of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and The Matrix trilogy). Though, even as someone who likes action movies, they get a little repetitive and indistinct from each other.

However, this felt like a self contained story, a simple revenge tale to spend an evening in a shadowy (exaggerated) underworld we never see and the good guy wins, the bad guys lose, and all is right with the world. I expect we're going to go all Rambo with this series where First Blood was a tale about a man suffering from PTSD who is put in an unfortunate situation. Somehow that became RAMBO, MASTER KILLER. I'm not clamoring to find out more about the underworld or the hotel or anything and I suspect that's what we're going to get in terms of world building over the next 2+ movies - the mystery is part of the appeal. Similarly, you get why he would do this, coming back for one last job because of his wife, and I'm sure the premises will be increasingly flimsy and complicated.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 08-29-2021 at 09:49 AM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 10:08 AM   #3302
PilotMan
Head Coach

One was fun, two was meh, three had no story at all and felt like a cash out.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 10:15 AM   #3303
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

That's kindof what I'm expecting and trying to decide if I want to watch the others. Like I didn't want my 100 minutes back from the first one - I was glad I watched it. Not sure I'll feel that way about the likely increasingly bloated sequels.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 06:58 PM   #3304
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Quote:
Watched John Wick 1-2-3 past couple days.

1 is pretty good just because it was the first.

2 was also pretty good. I like the Rome scenes.

3 was not as good as 1 and 2 but still fun. There was at least 1 fight scene where John Wick did a back kick that was comical. The fight scenes seemed slower and could have been better choreographed (or sped up).

I also realized that John Wick was many time surprised when he ran out of bullets. I thought pros counted bullets as they shot.
Where are you streaming John Wick?

On that note, can we make it a habit when we bring up a movie or show for the first time, to say on which streaming service it's currently playing. There are so many around now, that I'm searching each service for a recommended show here, only to find out it's on one I'm not subscribed to.
Old 08-29-2021, 07:00 PM   #3305
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalBumCover View Post

On that note, can we make it a habit when we bring up a movie or show for the first time, to say on which streaming service it's currently playing. There are so many around now, that I'm searching each service for a recommended show here, only to find out it's on one I'm not subscribed to.

Blu-ray collection.

Yes, I still buy BRs during sales like Black Friday. I like watching the specials.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 07:03 PM   #3306
bhlloy
Coordinator

John Wick 1 was a fun movie and one of few in that genre that I thoroughly enjoyed and would watch multiple times. Keanu is great in all of them.

I’m pretty sure I saw 2 and 3 on planes and they were fine… the kind of film I will watch when I’ve got nothing else to do for 5+ hours.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 08:11 PM   #3307
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:

Peacock has it
Old 08-30-2021, 08:43 AM   #3308
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:

The JustWatch app does a good job of telling you which service a given show or movie is on.
Old 08-30-2021, 09:41 AM   #3309
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
The JustWatch app does a good job of telling you which service a given show or movie is on.

Thanks, I just downloaded this. I remember this app discussed earlier in this thread. I forgot about it until your mention.
Old 08-30-2021, 10:50 AM   #3310
BYU 14
Coordinator

Watching Clickbait and enjoying it, short mini series on Netflix that has some interesting, if at time predictable twists, but definitely a "one more episode" show for us
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 08:47 PM   #3311
Groundhog
Coordinator

Entering week 11 or 12 of lockdown down here, I can't even remember. Seen so many shows. Ones we are still going through:

Nine Perfect Strangers - Still don't know where this one is going, but enjoying it more than I expected. I feel like the cast are (mostly) doing the heavy lifting, in particular Shannon/McCarthy/Cannavale.

Ted Lasso - I love this show. S2 apparently not getting as much love from some, but although the Xmas episode didn't do a lot for me I'm enjoying it as much as season 1, and it feels like the point it's been building towards for the first 1.5 seasons is here. So many great characters, like, there's not a single supporting character or actor that I don't love, they've nailed every role.

Chapelwaite - A few episodes in to this. It's a slow burn and I'm not sure if we will stick with it, but I haven't read the Stephen King short story behind this so I'm sort of interested to see where it goes.

Mr Corman - I guess I enjoy strange shows where I don't have any idea where they are going. That fits Mr Corman too through the 3 episodes I've seen. JGL is always good, and his hands are all over this one. Very quirky.
Old 09-02-2021, 11:04 AM   #3312
spleen1015
Coordinator

Trailer for the Wheel of Time TV show:
The Wheel Of Time – Official Teaser Trailer | Prime Video - YouTube

It is going to be hard to keep my expectations low after seeing this. It looks very good. Can't wait.
Old 09-02-2021, 11:24 AM   #3313
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
Trailer for the Wheel of Time TV show:
The Wheel Of Time – Official Teaser Trailer | Prime Video - YouTube

It is going to be hard to keep my expectations low after seeing this. It looks very good. Can't wait.
Oh God. I didn't think I could get more hyped. If this pays off it is going to be epic. I just finished listening to all the books over the course of several months. I just can't wait for this to come out.
The fandom is very split, btw. Loy's of criticism that it is too "woke." "tHe cASt IsN"t all whITe" crap.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 11:56 AM   #3314
bob
College Starter

Is this a mini-series or something that will go on for a while?
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 12:05 PM   #3315
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
Is this a mini-series or something that will go on for a while?

It'll be a series like Game of Thrones.
Old 09-02-2021, 01:49 PM   #3316
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
It'll be a series like Game of Thrones.
This. The first season releases November 19th, and they are already in the middle of shooting the second season. The plan I have heard is for eight seasons. There is also a "prequel" movie trilogy in the works.
Old 09-02-2021, 03:37 PM   #3317
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Eight seasons should be enough for the exposition in the first book.
Old 09-02-2021, 04:37 PM   #3318
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Oh God. I didn't think I could get more hyped. If this pays off it is going to be epic. I just finished listening to all the books over the course of several months. I just can't wait for this to come out.
The fandom is very split, btw. Loy's of criticism that it is too "woke." "tHe cASt IsN"t all whITe" crap.

It's not the color of the characters, it's the fact that a big deal in the books is made of X race/nation having fairly homogenous characteristics. Particularly in the Two Rivers, where their isolation is a very noteworthy topic, and the fact that Rand looks nothing like the rest of the people there is Important. That's what I'm not sold on - the casting in the Two Rivers, a place that specifically SHOULDN'T be diverse - appears to be all over the place.

On a less serious note, there was no braid tugging, sniffing, or long shots focused on the style of dresses in this trailer. Doomed.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 04:48 PM   #3319
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
It's not the color of the characters, it's the fact that a big deal in the books is made of X race/nation having fairly homogenous characteristics. Particularly in the Two Rivers, where their isolation is a very noteworthy topic, and the fact that Rand looks nothing like the rest of the people there is Important. That's what I'm not sold on - the casting in the Two Rivers, a place that specifically SHOULDN'T be diverse - appears to be all over the place.

On a less serious note, there was no braid tugging, sniffing, or long shots focused on the style of dresses in this trailer. Doomed.
It just isn't that big of a deal. There are simple explanations for it, but in the end race was not a big character in the story. Jordan purposely made the races undefinable, as they are a blend of many centuries after our time (spoiler I guess). Rand still doesn't look like the others from Two Rivers, so that is still in the story. The how is not really important.
Old 09-02-2021, 04:49 PM   #3320
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Eight seasons should be enough for the exposition in the first book.
Actually after cutting all the descriptions of dresses, I am surprised it is more than three.
Old 09-02-2021, 09:49 PM   #3321
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Actually after cutting all the descriptions of dresses, I am surprised it is more than three.

lol
Old 09-03-2021, 10:22 AM   #3322
RainMaker
General Manager

The show looks really well done. And while incredibly difficult to convert, it might be better suited for TV. But I had to tap out on the books halfway through 5. Incredibly cool concept and I can understand why it's so beloved, but Jordan is not a good writer (brilliant and creative mind though). It's written like someone had to hit a specific word count.

I had considered doing the audiobooks where I can run it back at 1.5 speed or something. But there is too much inconsequential shit that doesn't advance the plot in the books to dedicate that much time.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 10:54 AM   #3323
RainMaker
General Manager

Has anyone watched Sweet Girl on Netflix yet? I'm pretty much in on any vigilante movie you put out.
Old 09-03-2021, 08:56 PM   #3324
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I love Ted Lasso but I'm not sure I enjoy where they are going with NAte.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 10:36 PM   #3325
tarcone
Coordinator

Hand of God is really good. It is on Amazon.

The Untold series that Netflix is dropping is kind of like ESPNs 30 for 30. The story about the malice in the Palace is awesome, as is the story about the bad boys of hickey. This is a must see.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 05:56 AM   #3326
Edward64
Head Coach

Watching "Turn". Somewhat interesting plot but enjoying the history even more.

Did not know Roger's Rangers worked for the Brits. I know the current Rangers trace their lineage back to them.

Did not know that Brit officers lived with civilian families. I guess this makes sense, much better than the barracks.

Did not know that captured Officers were treated so well. I would have gutted that one guy for just being a dick.

There was a scene where Brit major indicated (forget his wording) that slavery was not looked well on. Googled and the UK abolished slave trade in 1807 vs show's 1776 era. Will have to read more about this.

Didn't know about Gen Charles Lee who was competing with George Washington. I'll assume some liberties were taken here in telling the story. Will have to read more about this also.

I like the outfits, the soldier's uniforms and every(wo)man's wear.
Old 09-04-2021, 05:57 AM   #3327
Edward64
Head Coach

Looking forward to "Wheel of Time".

I saw the trailer and I wasn't too impressed but ready for another major series.
Old 09-04-2021, 08:08 AM   #3328
GrantDawg

"Turn" was very good.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Old 09-04-2021, 09:51 AM   #3329
Edward64
Head Coach

Watching Turn where bunch of Brit officers are drinking and singing a song ... which sounded very familiar!

Quote:
"The Anacreontic Song", also known by its incipit "To Anacreon in Heaven", was the official song of the Anacreontic Society, an 18th-century gentlemen's club of amateur musicians in London. Composed by John Stafford Smith, the tune was later used by several writers as a setting for their patriotic lyrics. These included two songs by Francis Scott Key, most famously his poem "Defence of Fort McHenry". The combination of Key's poem and Smith's composition became known as "The Star-Spangled Banner", which was adopted as the national anthem of the United States of America in 1931.
Old 09-04-2021, 11:04 AM   #3330
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Watching "Turn". Somewhat interesting plot but enjoying the history even more.

Did not know Roger's Rangers worked for the Brits. I know the current Rangers trace their lineage back to them.

Did not know that Brit officers lived with civilian families. I guess this makes sense, much better than the barracks.

Did not know that captured Officers were treated so well. I would have gutted that one guy for just being a dick.

There was a scene where Brit major indicated (forget his wording) that slavery was not looked well on. Googled and the UK abolished slave trade in 1807 vs show's 1776 era. Will have to read more about this.

Didn't know about Gen Charles Lee who was competing with George Washington. I'll assume some liberties were taken here in telling the story. Will have to read more about this also.

I like the outfits, the soldier's uniforms and every(wo)man's wear.

This is why we have the third amendment.

Quote:
No Soldier shall, in time of peace be quartered in any house, without the consent of the Owner, nor in time of war, but in a manner to be prescribed by law.
Old 09-04-2021, 11:35 AM   #3331
QuikSand
lolzcat

For your Third Amendment pleasure:

https://twitter.com/jimamendments
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 11:54 AM   #3332
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
For your Third Amendment pleasure:

https://twitter.com/jimamendments

That's amazing. How did you find that?
Old 09-04-2021, 12:13 PM   #3333
QuikSand
lolzcat

...been a fan for some time, he's hilarious.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 05:25 PM   #3334
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I love Ted Lasso but I'm not sure I enjoy where they are going with NAte.

Yeah that was a real dark turn last episode.
Old 09-06-2021, 06:04 AM   #3335
Edward64
Head Coach

Finished Turn s3.

Still enjoying it but the storyline really sucked this season. Woodhull is really a terrible spy.

But I'm enjoying the history. Many times when something (non-Woodhull-and-gang happens), I google to check it out.

The (seemingly) slow change of Benedict Arnold. Washington proposing exchange of Benedict Arnold for Andre. Andre's hanging. There was a guy named Simcoe. Culper gang was real.

I do hope s4 has better writing.

Old 09-11-2021, 05:35 AM   #3336
Edward64
Head Coach

Finished Turn s4. Much better than s3 where it seemed Woodhull was a bumbling spy.

I liked the Benedict Arnold arch. I knew he was a "hero" before becoming a traitor. And it is true what one of the scenes implied, if the outcome was different, he would be a "hero" now and Washington a traitor.

The King George was a little out there. As Mel Brooks said "good to be King".

Also made me (re)appreciate the French & Lafayette more. I guess we paid them back in kind by returning their country to them in WW2. But think I want to read more about Lafayette.

Liked the last episode where it told the story of what happened afterwards. More character building. Woodhull just asking for repayment of expenses seemed weird, I would have asked for more.

Overall, fun series. If you like revolutionary times history, check it out.
Old 09-13-2021, 08:25 PM   #3337
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

A couple of parts in this weeks Ted Lasso legit had me crying, and not in the laughing way. So good.
Old 09-13-2021, 08:50 PM   #3338
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:

Also made me (re)appreciate the French & Lafayette more. I guess we paid them back in kind by returning their country to them in WW2. But think I want to read more about Lafayette.

Mike Duncan of the Revolutions podcast just released a book on Lafayette called Hero of Two Worlds. It’s next on my reading list. Duncan’s series on the French Revolution was epic.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 06:13 PM   #3339
GrantDawg

Watch "Shadow and Bone" on Netflix right now. Very enjoyable.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Old 09-15-2021, 09:51 PM   #3340
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Life isn't complete until you've seen "Mega Shark vs Crocosaurus"

Available on Amazon Prime!
Old 09-16-2021, 07:10 AM   #3341
Butter
Coordinator

Anybody interested in oddball horror should check out BRAND NEW CHERRY FLAVOR.

It's a little bit insane, but in a good way. Catherine Keener is great in it, but somehow outshined by Rosa Salazar. If anyone saw the Amazon series, UNDONE (the rotoscoped series that had Bob Odenkirk in it), this is the same female lead of that. She was great in that, maybe even better here.

It is not totally unlike UNDONE, in that it's a pretty nuts premise, but the show reminds me more of something like NEON DEMON (the Nicolas Winding Refn movie) than anything else, but it's a lot more engaging than a Refn movie.

Check it out. If episode 1 is too weird for you, then you can get out easily.
Old 09-19-2021, 09:51 AM   #3342
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

For those who have read Wheel of Time, is it over the top science fiction or would a casual fan enjoy it?

I love GoT, King books, some sci fi, etc...but did not like watchmen and have no interest in Wanda Vision or anything too Sci Fi, if that makes sense.

Looking for a new book series to listen to.
Old 09-19-2021, 10:22 AM   #3343
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
For those who have read Wheel of Time, is it over the top science fiction or would a casual fan enjoy it?

I love GoT, King books, some sci fi, etc...but did not like watchmen and have no interest in Wanda Vision or anything too Sci Fi, if that makes sense.

I know its supposed to be a classic but not for me. Jordan's writing was too dry and stopped after the first book.

I'm sure he was good for his time but with GRRM and others, I found it "lacking". I am looking forward to the series though.
Old 09-19-2021, 12:21 PM   #3344
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:

The Enders Game series. This is a fantastic read and there are several books in the series. Easy to read and extremely entertaining. Enders Game is easily my favorite Sci-Fi book.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 01:22 PM   #3345
spleen1015
Coordinator

I would listen to everything Brandon Sanderson has written before I listen to the Wheel of Time.

All of the Mistborn books are great. The Stormlight Archive is much better than WoT, IMO.
Old 09-21-2021, 12:24 AM   #3346
PilotMan
Head Coach

The Mrs and I binge watched the last 5 episodes of HBO's Mare of Eastown. It did not disappoint. Very good series. Some heartbreaking and intense moments in the story for sure.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

Last edited by PilotMan : 09-21-2021 at 07:20 PM.
PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 06:43 PM   #3347
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
The Mrs and I binge watched the last 5 episodes of HBO's The Mare of Eastown. It did not disappoint. Very good series. Some heartbreaking and intense moments in the story for sure.

Yeah we really enjoyed it too, one of the best shows of the year.

We went through 3 seasons of Mr Inbetween in like 2 weeks, amazing. I guess you could kind of compare it to something like an Aussie Breaking Bad, although the lead has "broke bad" already. Very, very Australian (Americans will need subtitles) and shot all around where I live which definitely added to my enjoyment of it.
Old 09-21-2021, 06:51 PM   #3348
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Has anyone watched Sweet Girl on Netflix yet? I'm pretty much in on any vigilante movie you put out.

Well I did watch this and it is pretty terrible. And I am always game for dumb vigilante action movies.
Old 09-21-2021, 08:07 PM   #3349
Flasch186
Coordinator

Paper tigers on Netflix was good imo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 07:03 AM   #3350
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
Paper tigers on Netflix was good imo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Liked it also. Looking forward to next season of Cobra Kai. I really enjoyed seeing the old characters again last season.