Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-17-2019, 05:07 PM   #1101
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
And they just overturn a call in SF. Is it the correct call? Yes, but the inconsistency is ridiculous.

Agreed...
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 07:04 PM   #1102
molson
General Manager

That was the worst Tom Brady start I've ever seen. Which tells me:

1. The Eagles, and especially Wentz, are awful (wish we could have played him in the super bowl)

2. Tony Romo is hillariously deferential to Brady "it was the wind, I'm telling you!"

3. The Patriots should have drafted Lamar Jackson. Belichick and Lamar would have terrorized the league and the Pats haters for the next 10 years. The handoff would have happened after this season. It was right there... Oh well..

4. The Patriots can be competitive with Brady, particularly at home and/or in the cold, but they are super limited offensively and need the defense to figure out Jackson or Mahomes to get to the super bowl again. I don't think they can hang in a shootout.

Last edited by molson : 11-17-2019 at 07:17 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 07:15 PM   #1103
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

A certain segment of Saints fans have been complaining about Brees' arm strength for the last 5 years. And they have mostly been wrong.

This season, they are finally right. The man can't throw a 15 yard out. And the team doesn't really even try deep shots with him.

He's got every other skill you want as a QB, but I fear that some team in the playoffs is going to choke off everything and dare him to throw it deep, and the Saints will lose because he won't be able to.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 07:58 PM   #1104
Edward64
Head Coach

Falcon's doing great past couple weeks (we may be out of the top 5 draft picks though). Defense is playing well but we are too pass happy, need more production from the run game.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 08:42 PM   #1105
Atocep
Coordinator

The Bears just ran 41 plays in a half and have zero points.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 08:58 PM   #1106
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post

1. The Eagles, and especially Wentz, are awful (wish we could have played him in the super bowl)

2. Tony Romo is hillariously deferential to Brady "it was the wind, I'm telling you!"

3. The Patriots should have drafted Lamar Jackson. Belichick and Lamar would have terrorized the league and the Pats haters for the next 10 years. The handoff would have happened after this season. It was right there... Oh well..

4. The Patriots can be competitive with Brady, particularly at home and/or in the cold, but they are super limited offensively and need the defense to figure out Jackson or Mahomes to get to the super bowl again. I don't think they can hang in a shootout.

At his age i think it's impossible for QBs to maintain arm strength throughout a season. We saw the same toward the end of Manning's career and we're seeing it with Brees as well.
Old 11-18-2019, 05:53 AM   #1107
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Falcon's doing great past couple weeks (we may be out of the top 5 draft picks though). Defense is playing well but we are too pass happy, need more production from the run game.

Dude. I am so pissed right now. How do you wait until the season is already out of hand to correct the most obvious problem? This defense has had talent all season, but the vanilla play-calling killed them. It is all on Dan Quinn. Now, they are going to win games to screw them out of good draft picks when they have no hope for the playoffs? Not mention being well over the cap going into next year.

Quinn has to go. This should not save him, but instead prove he should not be a head coach.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 08:28 AM   #1108
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Dude. I am so pissed right now. How do you wait until the season is already out of hand to correct the most obvious problem? This defense has had talent all season, but the vanilla play-calling killed them. It is all on Dan Quinn. Now, they are going to win games to screw them out of good draft picks when they have no hope for the playoffs? Not mention being well over the cap going into next year.

Quinn has to go. This should not save him, but instead prove he should not be a head coach.

I hear you. At least Matt Patricia has the good sense to continue to be absolutely awful at coaching and preparing a defense, so the Lions should have no problem maintaining a top 5 pick.

The Lions Defense is terrible. Quinn and Patricia have this unwarranted arrogance. They think they’re the smartest guys in the room for no reason at all.

I didn’t love Caldwell, but Quinn fired him because “9-7 wasn’t good enough”. Then he brought his buddy on to coach and they haven’t even been close to 9-7. While they might have won the Chicago game if Stafford was playing, they gave up over 500 yards of offense yesterday and Jeff Driskel was fine.

Burn it down! Again!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 10:41 AM   #1109
bronconick
College Starter

If they're smart Quinn would officially shut Stafford down for a top 10 pick but he'd probably screw up and draft another offensive player
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 02:44 PM   #1110
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Chris Berman and Tom Jackson are doing NFL Primetime on ESPN+ this season (along with the traditional music behind the highlights) and it is glorious.

Got to watch Primetime last night. It was great. Same old formula still works! Love just Chris and TJ doing the highlights and analysis. I hope they keep doing it!
Old 11-18-2019, 11:13 PM   #1111
bhlloy
Coordinator

At this point, it wouldn't be a surprise at all if Phillip Rivers retired at the end of the season, started cackling maniacally and revealed he's been on the payroll of the Oakland Raiders since around 2013.

It shouldn't be possible to be as bad in late game situations, but here we are. If the Chargers losing in the fourth quarter was part of a daytime soap, you'd complain the storylines were too repetitive and unrealistic.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 02:22 PM   #1112
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:

I'd like to see him with Isaiah Wynn back in for the turnstile that is Marshall Newhouse (and ideally with a legit TE a.k.a. Gronk back instead of 40 year old Ben Watson being their only option, though I think the chances of that are under 10% now) before declaring him dead...
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 12:48 PM   #1113
Arles
Grey Dog Software

I'm surprised this took as long as it did. Playing the race card is really the only option Garrett has:

During appeal, Myles Garrett accused Mason Rudolph of using racial slur

Quote:
In an appeal hearing with the NFL on Wednesday, Cleveland Browns defensive end Myles Garrett alleged that Mason Rudolph called him a racial slur just prior to last week's brawl on "Thursday Night Football," sources told ESPN's Josina Anderson and Adam Schefter, an accusation the Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback strongly denies.

"Mason vehemently denies the report of being accused of using a racial slur during the incident Thursday night in Cleveland," Steelers spokesman Burt Lauten said in a statement. "He will not discuss this accusation any further and his focus remains on preparation for Sunday's game against the Cincinnati Bengals."
Here's what Garrett said directly after the fight:
Quote:
“Last night, I made a terrible mistake," Garrett said. "I lost my cool and what I did was selfish and unacceptable. I know that we are all responsible for our actions and I can only prove my true character through my actions moving forward. I want to apologize to Mason Rudolph, my teammates, our entire organization, our fans and to the NFL. I know I have to be accountable for what happened, learn from my mistake and I fully intend to do so.”
That wouldn't be my exact wording if I was just called a racial slur. IMO, this whole thing is a BS excuse to get a lower suspension and pretty reprehensible given the legit racial slurs that still occur in sports. That said, I'm ready for the sports media to start attacking Rudolph and doing a second go-round to defend Garrett.
Old 11-21-2019, 01:57 PM   #1114
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
I'm surprised this took as long as it did. Playing the race card is really the only option Garrett has:

During appeal, Myles Garrett accused Mason Rudolph of using racial slur

Here's what Garrett said directly after the fight:

That wouldn't be my exact wording if I was just called a racial slur. IMO, this whole thing is a BS excuse to get a lower suspension and pretty reprehensible given the legit racial slurs that still occur in sports. That said, I'm ready for the sports media to start attacking Rudolph and doing a second go-round to defend Garrett.

It’ll be interesting to see: my take is exactly the same as yours - it doesn’t fit with what he’s done up to this point.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 02:31 PM   #1115
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Yeah so predictable and such nonsense. I guess Rudolph was just gambling that Maurkice Pouncey (and Mike Tomlin) wouldn't hear him. Garrett should get additional games for possibly fueling the fire due to his own stupidity.

Last edited by panerd : 11-21-2019 at 02:36 PM.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 02:55 PM   #1116
bhlloy
Coordinator

Don’t we have the audio technology that can basically prove or disprove this anyway? My guess is Garrett thought this wouldn’t become public knowledge as it was presented behind closed doors but I agree - I don’t believe for a second that Rudolph said anything of the sort and this doesn’t exactly jive with everything that has happened since.
Old 11-21-2019, 03:32 PM   #1117
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I had been waiting for this show to drop, as it immediately seemed both the most likely thing to instigate such a conflict, and the most likely excuse to rely on for reducing punishment.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 10:21 PM   #1118
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

How do they not at least review that fumble? I've seen them review lesser things than that within 2 minutes. He definitely fumbled, maybe see if anything shows a recovery, especially since the announcer said at one point "The Colts have the ball" when he thought it wasn't a fumble.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 10:28 PM   #1119
Edward64
Head Coach

Enjoyed watching a Razorback do well. Two weeks in a row now. Colts RB J Williams ended with 106 on 26 rushes and 3 for 17 catches against the Texans. Started the season 3rd+ in the depth charts but took advantage of injuries.

Hopefully he'll get more playing time rest of the season to move up in the depth chart and solidify a spot.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 05:20 PM   #1120
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

I thought there were rumblings about the racial slur the morning after this happened.

Edit: Maybe it was just some in the media speculating it, I don't recall.

Last edited by Carman Bulldog : 11-22-2019 at 05:24 PM.
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 06:06 PM   #1121
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carman Bulldog View Post
I thought there were rumblings about the racial slur the morning after this happened.

Edit: Maybe it was just some in the media speculating it, I don't recall.

It was a media speculation, by someone who tends to first jump to that line of thinking it appears.

Apparently if it happened the only person on the field that heard it was Garrett and he completely forgot about it until he was filing his appeal.
Old 11-23-2019, 10:03 AM   #1122
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
How do they not at least review that fumble? I've seen them review lesser things than that within 2 minutes. He definitely fumbled, maybe see if anything shows a recovery, especially since the announcer said at one point "The Colts have the ball" when he thought it wasn't a fumble.

I root for the Colts but there was no way that call was going to be overturned as nobody could be sure who ended up with possession of the ball. There was no need to slow the game down with a futile review.
Old 11-24-2019, 02:28 PM   #1123
Atocep
Coordinator

As a Bears fan it's eerie watching Daniel Jones and Mitchel Trubisky on the same field.
Old 11-24-2019, 03:29 PM   #1124
Jas_lov
College Starter

Carolina's kicker should be cut immediately after the game. Maybe the Bears could use him.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 03:32 PM   #1125
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
As a Bears fan it's eerie watching Daniel Jones and Mitchel Trubisky on the same field.

The orders to play Mitch have got to be coming from above. He is so bad
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 03:48 PM   #1126
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
The orders to play Mitch have got to be coming from above. He is so bad

Hopefully for the Giants they do a better job developing Jones than the Bears have Trubisky because there's a lot of similarities between the two.
Old 11-24-2019, 03:52 PM   #1127
JPhillips
General Manager

Bengals 0-11 and 1-19 in their last twenty.

The 90s are back, baby!
Old 11-24-2019, 03:58 PM   #1128
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Romo’s habit of watching the officials talking and gesturing to each other and then “predicting” the penalty like he has some special insight is kind of annoying.

“I don’t know, Jim. I think this one might go against the defense.”
Old 11-24-2019, 04:01 PM   #1129
Jas_lov
College Starter

Romo has gotten annoying this year. He talks too much and starts a lot of sentences that he doesn't finish.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 04:03 PM   #1130
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Hopefully for the Giants they do a better job developing Jones than the Bears have Trubisky because there's a lot of similarities between the two.

I trust Schurmer. Not sure I trust Gettleman to put talent around hiim
Old 11-24-2019, 04:09 PM   #1131
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post
Romo has gotten annoying this year. He talks too much and starts a lot of sentences that he doesn't finish.

And he pimps Corona
Old 11-24-2019, 08:35 PM   #1132
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Thank you Derrick Henry! I thought my 5 game fantasy football winning streak was coming to an end.. but you sir, pushed me to a 5 point win and extend my winning streak to 6 games!!!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 10:03 PM   #1133
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post

I don't know what happened. I thought he was good last year. This year he is just flat out annoying.
Old 11-24-2019, 10:12 PM   #1134
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Today showed the difference between an elite QB (Russell) and one that isn't (Wentz). Two key plays especially. On a 4th down with still plenty of time left and needing a TD to make it a one score game Wentz has an open receiver and if he leads him a little it is an easy first down. Instead he throws it behind him to where the defender was able to break it up, turnover on downs. Then on the Seahawks drive in a key 3rd down where a 1st down will allow them to take a couple more minutes off the clock and essentially wrap if up Wilson drops a perfect pass in to the receiver over the defender.

If I hear one more Eagles fan Wentz defender complain about lack of receivers or missing offensive line I am going to scream. He has been awful these last few weeks regardless of the receivers. AB wouldn't make any of those catches on balls 8 feet over the receiver's head. If Wentz would learn how to get rid of the ball quickly it would lead to fewer sacks and turnovers.

I used to be a supporter of his but now the blind supporters are getting annoying. My guess is that it's the same as the Tebow supporters, they like that he prays so they ignore the on field troubles.
Old 11-25-2019, 07:15 PM   #1135
cuervo72
Head Coach

"The Rams have to have this signature win here tonight."

AHHHHH EFFING MAKE IT STOP.
Old 11-25-2019, 07:47 PM   #1136
Atocep
Coordinator

I kind of want to see the Ravens win the Super Bowl just to watch everyone try to copy what they're doing and fail.
Old 11-25-2019, 08:08 PM   #1137
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Monday Night Football just hasn't been the same since Mike Tirico left. I mean, the announce/color teams were never great but in retrospect, we probably complained about the Tirico/Jaws/Gruden combination too much at times. I would kill to have that booth compared to this milquetoast guy they have now and Booger.
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 08:16 PM   #1138
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
"The Rams have to have this signature win here tonight."

AHHHHH EFFING MAKE IT STOP.

But but but ... they have to impress the committee.

Oh wait. They're only dressed like Oregon tonight. My bad.
Old 11-25-2019, 10:09 PM   #1139
bhlloy
Coordinator

Hilarious to watch everyone fall over themselves to hire the next McVay this offeseason, only to see McVay fall flat on his face. I guess giving out a ton of money to a bunch of offensive players based on a great half season wasn't the best idea? The fall off for this Rams team looks like it's going to be brutal.
Old 11-25-2019, 11:30 PM   #1140
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Hilarious to watch everyone fall over themselves to hire the next McVay this offeseason, only to see McVay fall flat on his face. I guess giving out a ton of money to a bunch of offensive players based on a great half season wasn't the best idea? The fall off for this Rams team looks like it's going to be brutal.

They're not far off though, the problem is the line.

I also think the exodus of the staff from the first two years has hurt more than anyone has let on as well. He's lost something like 5 or 6 six offensive assistants the past two years.

Also, Gurley's legs falling off hasn't helped.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 05:02 AM   #1141
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post

So the league has adjusted to what McVay does (thanks to Belichek). What makes you think McVay won't come up with new ways to attack defenses? That's kind of what the job of coach is, no? If Greg the leg hadn't missed an easy FG, for the win, against Seattle things look a lot different. Let's see what he comes up with before we write him off.

How did Belichek look with the Browns?
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 05:30 AM   #1142
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed View Post
So the league has adjusted to what McVay does (thanks to Belichek). What makes you think McVay won't come up with new ways to attack defenses? That's kind of what the job of coach is, no? If Greg the leg hadn't missed an easy FG, for the win, against Seattle things look a lot different. Let's see what he comes up with before we write him off.

How did Belichek look with the Browns?

Or even better, how did Belichek look versus these same Ravens?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 07:43 AM   #1143
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I'd bet on McVay. He was apparently getting "This guy will be an amazing HC" buzz from the time he was the assistant waterboy. There's more to him than just some creative playcalling.

My guess is he got a bit too wedded to what worked last season, and it bit them this season.

But he learned that lesson--even if you are ahead, you can't stand still. I suspect that next season's Rams will look a lot different than the last two seasons' teams, and that they will be back to very good.
Old 11-26-2019, 07:50 AM   #1144
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carman Bulldog View Post
Monday Night Football just hasn't been the same since Mike Tirico left. I mean, the announce/color teams were never great but in retrospect, we probably complained about the Tirico/Jaws/Gruden combination too much at times. I would kill to have that booth compared to this milquetoast guy they have now and Booger.

MNF has gone from must-watch to almost never watched for me. A lot of weeks, I don't even know who is playing. The Sunday Night game was kinda become the new MNF for me. Love Al Michaels and Cris Collinsworth.
Old 11-26-2019, 08:06 AM   #1145
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
I suspect that next season's Rams will look a lot different than the last two seasons' teams, and that they will be back to very good.

Disagree.

Goffs and Gurleys contracts will be a huge albatross and they will stay just good enough to get mediocre draft picks. Donald makes a ton, but is worth it, and Cooks and Ramsey also make a lot. Just those 5 make up 50% of their 2020 cap number. Factor in the Niners will be very good for a while, and Seattle has Russell Wilson in the same division, I can see the Rams struggling with mediocrity for quite a while.
Old 11-26-2019, 08:37 AM   #1146
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Rams just need to fix their offensive line. It is terrible. Lathum brings up great points in that they may not have the money to improve it much. The reason they were so good the prior two years is their line was great but not much else has changed. They still do well against teams that dont have a great defensive front. If you put Goff back behind last years line and he suddenly looks like Goff again. Same with Gurley.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 11-26-2019 at 08:39 AM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 08:42 AM   #1147
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Gurley is done. That knee is way worse than they let on.
Old 11-26-2019, 08:47 AM   #1148
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

dola- lets not forget what they gave up to get Ramsey. First round pick in 2020 and 2021. Going to be hard to rebuild with talent on rookie contracts with no picks. I think it is more likely they are a bottom dweller than perennial playoff team.
Old 11-26-2019, 09:20 AM   #1149
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
I'd bet on McVay. He was apparently getting "This guy will be an amazing HC" buzz from the time he was the assistant waterboy. There's more to him than just some creative playcalling.

My guess is he got a bit too wedded to what worked last season, and it bit them this season.

But he learned that lesson--even if you are ahead, you can't stand still. I suspect that next season's Rams will look a lot different than the last two seasons' teams, and that they will be back to very good.

Like the last few posters said, there's just no way to remake the roster. They are about 10 million under the 2020 cap with 41 players signed right now. All their big earners are uncuttable for at least the next 2-3 years because of dead space. They don't have their high draft picks. Whitworth retiring is a positive (which to be fair to the Rams nobody could have predicted that drop off), but even then there's no way they can get a replacement other than hope they hit on a mid-late rounder, which has to be a one in a million shot (and then you need to hit on a few, because there's more than one hole on a terrible offensive line).

Other than Goff not being mediocre, Gurley's knee magically healing and making him the best RB in the last 10 years like he might have been, finding 2-3 late round or minsal offensive linemen and the defense getting younger, I can't see them being better for at least a year or two.
Old 11-26-2019, 09:34 AM   #1150
lungs
Pro Rookie

Anybody going to go back in time and dig up the Lamar Jackson predictions from the draft?
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote