Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: How much have you regularly lifted weights (weekly workouts)
20 years + 4 12.12%
10-19 years 3 9.09%
5-9 years 8 24.24%
1-4 years 4 12.12%
Never or less than a year 14 42.42%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-18-2021, 08:07 AM   #1
BYU 14
Coordinator

Weight Lifting

This is really more of a curiosity and to settle a bet thing. I think at least 50% of people have lifted weights regularly at some point in their lives for at least a year. My buddy says no way.

So, how much weight lifting have you done?

BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 08:12 AM   #2
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I had about period in high school when my uncle was getting rid of stuff and gave me his weights. And I lifted in my house for about 6 months before I got bored/distracted. Now that I'm a doughboy in his mid-40s, I wish I'd've kept it up.

Though the weights went to my younger cousin who joined the Marines, so they ended up serving America.

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 02-18-2021 at 08:26 AM.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 08:14 AM   #3
sabotai
General Manager

Are we talking cumulative through one's life, or are we talking a person's longest consecutive streak for lifting weights?
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 08:16 AM   #4
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I lifted a lot in high school and into my early 20s. Then I stopped until my late 30s so I went with 10-19 years.

The funny thing is the 18 months leading up to covid I was in the best shape of my life. I hired a trainer, went to the gym 4-5 times a week. Was really building some muscle and lowering body fat. Haven't done any lifting in almost a year and I have actually lost weight.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 08:19 AM   #5
cuervo72
Head Coach

Lifted from 15-17 for HS football (the period when I went from 162 to 205 in weight). Lifted some more in college, then later a couple of years ago at the Y with my son when he was in HS. Not much outside of that.
Old 02-18-2021, 08:40 AM   #6
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
Are we talking cumulative through one's life, or are we talking a person's longest consecutive streak for lifting weights?

Cumulative. I lifted heavy through high school and into my mid 20s for Football, stopped, then resumed again when I was 36 and lifted straight for over 20 years now, so I consider that to be 28-29 total.
Old 02-18-2021, 09:06 AM   #7
miami_fan
Coordinator

I have been lifting weights for about almost 24 years now. Well outside the last 12 months where I have not been inside the germ cesspool that the gym can be. Lots of bodyweight and cable exercises have been going on around this way.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 09:10 AM   #8
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
Cumulative

1-4 years then. Lifting weights is never something that stuck with me for an extended period of time, but I would do a few months of it at various points.

Last edited by sabotai : 02-18-2021 at 09:10 AM.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 09:57 AM   #9
Kodos
Resident Alien

I lifted weights some in high school and college, but never very seriously or for an extended period. Never long enough to see much in the way of visible results. I have done lots of cardio over the years. These day, I do sit ups after riding the Peloton, and then a plank or two. I am up to 50 sit ups at a time (when I started, doing 20 was hard), which I think is decent for a 50-year-old guy. Every once in a while I introduce more body work (squats, bicep curls, etc.), but have a much harder time sticking with that than the cardio.

Last edited by Kodos : 02-18-2021 at 09:58 AM.
Kodos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 10:17 AM   #10
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

Did a lot of weight lifting for about a year in my mid 30s, best shape of my life. Now it's much more casual, even more so in the past year when I don't want to be around other people in the weight room.
Old 02-19-2021, 02:20 PM   #11
BYU 14
Coordinator

On this topic I am hearing a lot of buzz about the X3 system, which interests me as I look to preserve my joints and ligaments. In the past 4 years I have had both shoulders done, a triple hernia repaired and found out yesterday I will need an ankle surgery now for torn ligaments. So transitioning to a form of strength training more compatible to an aging body is definitely a top priority for me now.

Anyone here have any experience with the X3 strength training system?
Old 02-19-2021, 02:53 PM   #12
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Yeah, I read it as consecutively in one shot. Move a vote from "never" to "1-4 years" on my behalf, someone.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 05:41 PM   #13
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
On this topic I am hearing a lot of buzz about the X3 system, which interests me as I look to preserve my joints and ligaments. In the past 4 years I have had both shoulders done, a triple hernia repaired and found out yesterday I will need an ankle surgery now for torn ligaments. So transitioning to a form of strength training more compatible to an aging body is definitely a top priority for me now.

Anyone here have any experience with the X3 strength training system?

I would be interested in this as well, though I suspect I will end up going back to the gym and lifting heavy once it is safer to do so.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote