Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-27-2013, 01:08 PM   #201
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
Terminator 2 - The first Terminator is awesome. This movie is an abortion.

thesloppy is now dead to me. Retroactive to when he posted this.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:26 PM   #202
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Monty Python and the HOly Grail
this movie was spoiled for me before i saw it and every encounter with a geek further spoils what could have been good lines...but it still is not as funny as the series iteslf.
CrimsonFox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:35 PM   #203
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorena View Post
Yeah, I'm with you on 2001. I tried to watch it twice and couldn't get past the monkey scene. I put it on our Watch Instantly Q and will try and get past that scene to see what all the hoopla's about.

2001 is a very tough nut to crack. Took me years to get it. And really that long to have the patience to sit through it. I think what was the breakthru was that I watched the last section with pink floyd overtop and then it seemed to make more sense

What is REALLY tough about getting the movie is that the major plot points are VERY subtle and major scenes are just all music and no dialogue. The choice of music as well kinda kills it if you don't dig classical. That's why pink floyd seemed to wake this movie up for me Another thing you can do is watch the bluray or dvd verion with commentary on. It pointed out lots of things I missed, again because I probably fell asleep midwatch hahaha
Old 01-27-2013, 01:47 PM   #204
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Rain Man
Forrest Gump
Old 01-27-2013, 01:48 PM   #205
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgerchick View Post
Harold and Maude

that hurt...
Old 01-27-2013, 01:54 PM   #206
sabotai
General Manager

I got around to watching The Godfather part 3 not too long ago. I "should" like it because I love gangster (and/or bank heist) movies, even when they aren't that good. This movie, however, was just terrible. I hated every moment of it. I am now going to go through the rest of my life trying to pretend that it doesn't exist, much like how I pretend that mythical 4th Indiana Jones movie doesn't exist, because it doesn't. IT DOESN'T EXIST!!
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:34 PM   #207
revrew
Team Chaplain

Can't believe I've never commented in this thread. Hmm, let's see:

Schindler's List - Have always preferred a good, gritty, realistic documentary on the topic to this particular dramatization
Forrest Gump - Great idea, points for creativity, but I just couldn't get into it
Bladerunner
Pulp Fiction - Not a Tarantino fan. Yes, I see creativity there. But it drowns in adolescent sleaze. I can't see the forest of Tarantino's "brilliance" for the trees of all his junk
Citizen Kane - Supposedly greatest movie ever made. Color me not convinced. (and no, that was not a reference to it being black-and-white).
I came to the Crossroad. I took it. And that has made all the difference.
revrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:37 PM   #208
revrew
Team Chaplain

Oh, yes, let me add Napoleon Dynamite.

Original? Yes.
Funny in that sort of cult classic, Holy Grail, everybody quotes it kind of way? Yes
Actually watchable? Aw, heck no.
I came to the Crossroad. I took it. And that has made all the difference.
revrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:53 PM   #209
Critch
lolzcat

The Hurt Locker. I sat down to watch it thinking "oh this is going to be great" in a Platoon/Deer Hunter kind of stylie and it wasnt.

It wasnt awful, but it was distinctly ordinary.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:57 PM   #210
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
Monty Python and the HOly Grail
this movie was spoiled for me before i saw it and every encounter with a geek further spoils what could have been good lines

This happened to me with The Big Lebowski. The way it was hyped by multiple friends of mine I think it would have had to literally be the greatest movie ever made to live up to the hype. Also, the guy sitting next to me was quoting the movie the entire time. Not just favorite quotes he was just reciting all of the dialogue for the entire fucking movie. The end result... not only do I not like a movie that I probably would have under other circumstances, I actively despise it.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:10 PM   #211
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
This happened to me with The Big Lebowski. The way it was hyped by multiple friends of mine I think it would have had to literally be the greatest movie ever made to live up to the hype. Also, the guy sitting next to me was quoting the movie the entire time. Not just favorite quotes he was just reciting all of the dialogue for the entire fucking movie. The end result... not only do I not like a movie that I probably would have under other circumstances, I actively despise it.

Pretty sure someone doing that would make me hate any movie, because I'd always associate it with being incredibly fucking annoyed.
Old 01-27-2013, 03:13 PM   #212
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post

I thought it was solid and nothing more. The love it gets is kind of odd.
Old 01-27-2013, 03:21 PM   #213
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Shawshank Redemption - just was kind of bored by it and wanted it to end.
Rudy - thought the premise was ridiculous; seriously, he has nothing better to do for his life?

Edit: Oh wait, I said Shawshank 4 years ago .

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 01-27-2013 at 03:23 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:22 PM   #214
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I can totally understand the difference in comedy films. I didn;t find The Big L, Nappy D or Kingpin to be even a little bit funny. On the other hand, i love the Judd A films.

I think part of the difference is whether you saw it orignally or not. Trust me, Heat in the theaters was really good, probably better than it holds up now. If you just check out Fight Club in the last few years, it can feel a bit dated. Citizen Kane's massive changes to cinema have been reflected in movies all of your life. The Maltese Falcon was copied in tons of cartoons, movies and tv shows since with the characters being added and flexed across the decades. 2001 doesnt hold up from the 60s, and so forth.

Then, if your friend saw some film from the 80s, like Better Off Dead, which they loved, and they recommend it and you watch it 20 years later, you are wondering what happened. You can;t see it with that person;s era and during the time others saw it.

So i think context absolutely matters with films. One of my favorite films of all time, top ten for sure, is Return of the Secausus 7, but it's very specific to one group of people (hippies entering their 30s) ten years after their social action. I would be shocked if people here picked it up on netflix and liked it even half as much as I do.

I think we are seeing that with some of the responses here.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:23 PM   #215
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

A lot of odd hate for Blade Runner. Not sure why especially nowadays. However if you didn't like it, try watching the original release and NOT the director's cut. The original was much better IMHO. The voiceovers gave it that Noir feel the rest of the film was going for and kind of pulled it all together. The director's cut hinting that deckard was also a replicant was kinda lame and unneccasary
Old 01-27-2013, 03:24 PM   #216
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

I know why you don't like Better Off Dead, Abe. Because you aren't 14.
Old 01-27-2013, 03:26 PM   #217
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
A lot of odd hate for Blade Runner. Not sure why especially nowadays. However if you didn't like it, try watching the original release and NOT the director's cut. The original was much better IMHO. The voiceovers gave it that Noir feel the rest of the film was going for and kind of pulled it all together. The director's cut hinting that deckard was also a replicant was kinda lame and unneccasary

I think a lot of dislike for some of those era movies was due to the pace. Movies moved at a MUCH slower pace in the era of Blade Runner. I mean look at, say, Chinatown (one of my favorite movies of all time)
Old 01-27-2013, 03:28 PM   #218
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
I think a lot of dislike for some of those era movies was due to the pace. Movies moved at a MUCH slower pace in the era of Blade Runner. I mean look at, say, Chinatown (one of my favorite movies of all time)

That comes from the ADD, MTV, a million shots a second era and the people it has developed. Slow paced movies are better.
Old 01-27-2013, 03:28 PM   #219
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Yeah, and this is even a complaint against other films in the 90s, such as Shawshank Redemption or Heat.

Or how about the era of one of the worst paced films of all time, Star Trek: the Motion Picture.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:31 PM   #220
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

I still have a hard time understanding how you can't love Forrest Gump. I'd probably be embarrassed to find out how many times I have watched that movie.

Subjectivity and all I guess
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:35 PM   #221
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
I know why you don't like Better Off Dead, Abe. Because you aren't 14.

I always laugh at the line,

"Fronch fries....Fronch bread....Fronch dressing....and for dessert....PERU!"

But yeah those Savage Steve Holland movies were all the same really. Cusack and Stiers and especially Curtis Armstrong are fun to watch.

Cusack's best movie of the era was Rob Reiner's The Sure Thing
Old 01-27-2013, 03:36 PM   #222
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
I still have a hard time understanding how you can't love Forrest Gump. I'd probably be embarrassed to find out how many times I have watched that movie.

Subjectivity and all I guess

Because it's overacted and obnoxious and what's worse every bad commercial and relative quotes it.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:12 PM   #223
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrew View Post
Oh, yes, let me add Napoleon Dynamite.

Original? Yes.
Funny in that sort of cult classic, Holy Grail, everybody quotes it kind of way? Yes
Actually watchable? Aw, heck no.

there is no way that Napoleon Dynamite is a movie you should like. It is terrible.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:24 PM   #224
sabotai
General Manager

I'm fine with a movie having a slow pace. My issue with pace comes when it's uneven, not fast or slow. If a movie moves fast in some areas, but very slow in others, it throws off the whole movie. The big issue with a slow pace is that it makes a lack of other qualities very abundant. A slow movie without character development or interesting dialog is going to be extremely boring. But a perfect example of a great, slow paced movie (IMO) is There Will Be Blood. A long movie and not much happens in it, but the character development and dialog are top notched. A fast paced movie, especially a fast paced action movie, can hind the lack of quality storytelling.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:55 PM   #225
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Shawshank Redemption - just was kind of bored by it and wanted it to end.
Rudy - thought the premise was ridiculous; seriously, he has nothing better to do for his life?

Edit: Oh wait, I said Shawshank 4 years ago .

Hah, yeah I remember. LoTR too no?
Dodgerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:55 PM   #226
Drake
assmaster

I can't imagine anyone liking Better Off Dead who saw it after they were, like, 17. I was 14 when I saw it, and my brothers were 11 and 8, so we love it. We still quote stupid lines from that movie.

I think that like Abe says above, it has everything to do with context. For my family, it was the right movie at the right age, and so we can't separate all of the subsequent bonding from the artifact. I can't judge it as a movie objectively anymore. It's too tied up with what it means to be a brother and a member of my family.

In contrast, my brothers feel the same way about Adam Sandler movies, and I despise every single one of those.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:53 PM   #227
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

yeah, I can't imagine Better Off Dead or Revenge of the Nerds or Real Genius holding up really well for new viewers today. I was a teenager when they came out and they spoke to me at the time (plus, naked bush).
Old 01-27-2013, 10:08 PM   #228
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

a few off the top of my head

Boondock Saints - This was supposed to be like the action version of the Big Lebowski (which I've never seen) - the action movie that all the cool cats watch over and over again. I thought it was unbearably bad.

No Country For Old Men - It was kind of interesting and then it just...stopped.

Lost in Translation - It was completely uninteresting and then it just...stopped.

Shawshank Redemption - I don't dislike it, but I've never really understood why this is so damn popular. Not a bad movie, I guess, but I definitely don't get the fawning.

I would like to add a new category, for movies that I love, but I should hate. And #1 on this list would be the Professional. There are so many things about this movie that I can't stand - Gary Oldman's brutal overracting and the way that Jean Reno's character was such a complete and utter rube, for example. and yet, I love it.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:13 PM   #229
IlliniCub
High School Varsity

The thing I will remember revenge of the nerds for always....is that it was my first real glimpse of the female anatomy at a young age
IlliniCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:26 PM   #230
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
Pretty sure someone doing that would make me hate any movie, because I'd always associate it with being incredibly fucking annoyed.

You see, for me, I disagree, I would not hate the movie for that. Why? Because I am pretty sure I would kill the dumbass doing that two or three scenes in, and then go on to enjoy the rest of the movie.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 01-27-2013 at 10:26 PM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:45 PM   #231
MrBug708
Head Coach

Anything by Tarantino
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:47 PM   #232
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

I am so in the mood to watch Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs and Kill Bill right now.

Old 01-27-2013, 11:44 PM   #233
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgerchick View Post
Hah, yeah I remember. LoTR too no?

Yep, the last two. I thought Fellowship was done very well. Two Towers spent way too much on the Battle of Helms Deep and Return of the King had way too many endings, but for some reason the Scouring of the Shire wasn't one of them. They were both pretty though .