Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-29-2020, 03:30 PM   #25101
RainMaker
General Manager

With these Federalist Society judges, you aren't paying for the social issues. It's fine if they get them, but they're buying them for the business stuff which Roberts has been 100% in line with.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 04:47 PM   #25102
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
With these Federalist Society judges, you aren't paying for the social issues. It's fine if they get them, but they're buying them for the business stuff which Roberts has been 100% in line with.

Kagan's dissent on the CFPB case hits them on that a bit and hilariously references Schoolhouse Rock in doing so:

https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinion.../19-7_n6io.pdf
Quote:
The majority offers the civics class version of separation of powers—call it the Schoolhouse Rock definition of the phrase. See Schoolhouse Rock! Three Ring Government (Mar. 13, 1979), America - Three Ring Government - Schoolhouse Rock - YouTube (“Ring one, Executive. Two is Legislative,that’s Congress. Ring three, Judiciary”). The Constitu-tion’s first three articles, the majority recounts, “split the atom of sovereignty” among Congress, the President, and the courts. Ante, at 21 (internal quotation marks omitted).And by that mechanism, the Framers provided a “simple” fix “to governmental power and its perils.” Ibid.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 06:39 AM   #25103
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Since Iran took a warrant out on President Trump, is there anyway we could give him to them?
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 09:22 AM   #25104
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

So right now, Trump has just under 88% of the Republican closed primary vote against Uncommitted in Kentucky. Anyone have any historical perspective on an unopposed president's primary vote? 12% seems like a big number in a state like KY - particularly since local office primaries were really the only reason to come out to vote (Trump, McConnell and Barr were going to cruise).
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 06-30-2020 at 09:23 AM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 10:16 AM   #25105
bronconick
College Starter

Seems pretty common. Obama only got about 60% in West Virginia and Kentucky in 2012. In more comparable to incumbent blue states for him, Obama got 87% in Massachusetts and 84% in Rhode Island.

2012 Democratic Party presidential primaries - Wikipedia
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 10:37 AM   #25106
Ksyrup

Hmm. Most of those states, Obama was running against someone though. Uncommitted got only 6% of the total vote in all primaries. It is interesting that in a few states, Romney won the Republican side by a larger margin than Obama won the Democrat side. I don't remember those primaries - but 2012 feels like 1912 in Covid-19/Trump Years.

Here, Trump is the only person on the ballot, so it feels like 13.5% (as of now) voting NOT TRUMP within his own party has some significance. That's over 50K Republicans. It's not going to swing KY in November, but even though Trump is up easily here, he's down a good bit compared to 2016 (last I saw, he's up 18 right now and won KY by 30 in 2016).
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 06-30-2020, 10:50 AM   #25107
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Hmm. Most of those states, Obama was running against someone though. Uncommitted got only 6% of the total vote in all primaries. It is interesting that in a few states, Romney won the Republican side by a larger margin than Obama won the Democrat side. I don't remember those primaries - but 2012 feels like 1912 in Covid-19/Trump Years.

Here, Trump is the only person on the ballot, so it feels like 13.5% (as of now) voting NOT TRUMP within his own party has some significance. That's over 50K Republicans. It's not going to swing KY in November, but even though Trump is up easily here, he's down a good bit compared to 2016 (last I saw, he's up 18 right now and won KY by 30 in 2016).

It may have some significance.

But it may also just be blowing off some steam. A "protest vote" by some Republicans that will be there for McConnell & Trump in November.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 11:29 AM   #25108
Ksyrup

You can tell things are getting bad for Trump when McConnell and Fox News personalities start to cave on pushing people to wear masks. I mean, where were you a-holes 3 months ago? Oh that's right, the pandemic was going to magically disappear by Easter, so who needs a mask that makes you look you a weak sissy?
Old 06-30-2020, 11:32 AM   #25109
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
You can tell things are getting bad for Trump when McConnell and Fox News personalities start to cave on pushing people to wear masks. I mean, where were you a-holes 3 months ago? Oh that's right, the pandemic was going to magically disappear by Easter, so who needs a mask that makes you look you a weak sissy?

McConnell and Fox News know that the pandemic is bad and that controliing it will help the GOP get re-elected.

Trump might know that, too. But he cares more about not wearing a mask than getting re-elected.
Old 06-30-2020, 02:32 PM   #25110
QuikSand
lolzcat

Holy hell, Rick...

My fingertips are singed just typing this out... wow
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 02:37 PM   #25111
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Holy fuck!
Old 06-30-2020, 02:41 PM   #25112
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Remind me to never piss off the Lincoln Project guys.
Old 06-30-2020, 02:42 PM   #25113
tarcone
Coordinator

Wow.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 02:51 PM   #25114
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Remind me to never piss off the Lincoln Project guys.

They're doing good work now. But it would have been nice if they had done something sooner like when we were caging kids or sided with white supremacists in Charlottesville or when his kid was Tweeting to the world about how he colluded with Russia or... Still, better late than never.

SI

Old 06-30-2020, 02:56 PM   #25115
BYU 14
Coordinator

That was stiff! Love it
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 03:17 PM   #25116
Kodos
Resident Alien

Yowsa. The coward ain't gonna like that. Now tie in Moscow Mitch.
Old 06-30-2020, 03:24 PM   #25117
Comey
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
They're doing good work now. But it would have been nice if they had done something sooner like when we were caging kids or sided with white supremacists in Charlottesville or when his kid was Tweeting to the world about how he colluded with Russia or... Still, better late than never.

SI

Well, it wasn't formed until late last year (12.17.19), so....

Last edited by Comey : 06-30-2020 at 03:25 PM.
Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 03:38 PM   #25118
RainMaker
General Manager

I don't understand why the Democrats can't make ads like that on a regular basis (besides being worthless as always).
Old 06-30-2020, 04:00 PM   #25119
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
I don't understand why the Democrats can't make ads like that on a regular basis (besides being worthless as always).

From what I've read, the Democrats have let the Lincoln Project handle the negative aspects while generating content for Biden that is positive.

Doesn't really matter, Republicans are going to steal the election anyway.

Senate GOP blocks bill to require campaigns report foreign election assistance
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 04:29 PM   #25120
RainMaker
General Manager

Like the administration going after the ACA and gutting the pre-existing condition provision should have been a real easy ad to make last week. There is overwhelming support for that, especially in a pandemic. Not a bad idea to let people know.

James Carville is a dumb dope most of the time but he was right that the Lincoln Project just throws punches while the Democrats sit around having meetings and doing internal polls about what may or may not work.
Old 06-30-2020, 04:33 PM   #25121
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

I know it's almost impossible, but could we potentially see a sitting president not run for re-election for only the second time in modern history?

Last edited by Vegas Vic : 06-30-2020 at 04:35 PM.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 05:14 PM   #25122
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Vic View Post
I know it's almost impossible, but could we potentially see a sitting president not run for re-election for only the second time in modern history?

Highly doubt it. His ego won't allow it. If he loses, he'll blame it on cheating somehow.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 05:24 PM   #25123
RainMaker
General Manager

I saw a report on it but is there any truth to it? Sounded like just the musings of some Republican analyst or whatever. Seems way too late in the game to pull out now.
Old 06-30-2020, 05:27 PM   #25124
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Highly doubt it. His ego won't allow it. If he loses, he'll blame it on cheating somehow.

I don't know if his ego will allow a blowout though and it will be hard to claim cheating if that happens.

I think if he could, he would happily walk away. He doesn't seem to like most aspects of the job. But once he is no longer president, he is wide open to a lot of legal action so that likely keeps him in.
Old 06-30-2020, 05:33 PM   #25125
RainMaker
General Manager

I think he wants out. Lets face it, he likes to do the media stuff. Likes watching TV, tweeting, giving speeches and interviews to people who will coax his ego. He hates having to deal with a virus, or unemployment, or protests going on throughout the country.

So ultimately if he loses, I think he'd be happy to set up his own TV network or media company and let that roll. Gets to do all the stuff he likes and avoid the responsibility of being President.
Old 06-30-2020, 05:46 PM   #25126
Comey
College Starter

Quote:
I saw a report on it but is there any truth to it? Sounded like just the musings of some Republican analyst or whatever. Seems way too late in the game to pull out now.

There are a lot of theories out there right now. One is that the report about the polls are meant to spur GOP support. Another is that the guy in Washington plans to drop out of the race at the last moment, but is deciding to take everything with him.

Another has him resigning the day of the election, if it appears he's going to lose, and flee the country.

It's all way, way too early for any of that. The odd thing is that the guy in Washington seems resigned to losing; twice, on camera, he's said that Biden will be the next president. Whether he is trying to drum up sympathy or what, who knows.

I'd imagine the guy is at a fever pitch right now, but he wouldn't suddenly just leave. The GOP may want him to at this point (I guess even McConnell is beginning to turn on him somewhat?), but they made their bed together.

Old 06-30-2020, 05:50 PM   #25127
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
So ultimately if he loses, I think he'd be happy to set up his own TV network or media company and let that roll. Gets to do all the stuff he likes and avoid the responsibility of being President.

Oh gawd, not the Trump Network, though on the bright side it would fail within a year
Old 06-30-2020, 05:52 PM   #25128
RainMaker
General Manager

I know things can change a lot but just looking at these polls coming out every day, it seems like it would take a massive blunder from Biden or health emergency to make this competitive. I mean Biden is up double digits in battleground states that Trump needs to win. Just don't see how he can make up that kind of ground with such high disapprovals.

Question, if a President dies between the nomination and election, what happens? Does the VP just get the slot? I know it's happened before but the dead person never won I don't think.

Both are old and campaigning. There's a chance one or both get the virus.
Old 06-30-2020, 05:56 PM   #25129
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
Oh gawd, not the Trump Network, though on the bright side it would fail within a year

Thought I saw stuff about them just buying OANN and re-branding it. I actually think it would do well. Boomers are one of the few people watching cable TV these days and he does well with a portion of that demographic.
Old 06-30-2020, 06:00 PM   #25130
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
I know things can change a lot but just looking at these polls coming out every day, it seems like it would take a massive blunder from Biden or health emergency to make this competitive. I mean Biden is up double digits in battleground states that Trump needs to win. Just don't see how he can make up that kind of ground with such high disapprovals.

Question, if a President dies between the nomination and election, what happens? Does the VP just get the slot? I know it's happened before but the dead person never won I don't think.

Both are old and campaigning. There's a chance one or both get the virus.

I just read about this and timing matters: ElectoralVote

Quote:
Q: What is the course of action if Donald Trump decides not to run for re-election, either because he can't stand the thought of being thumped by Joe Biden on Election Day, or because the biggest of Republican bigwigs decide for him that he has to go? C.W., Kansas City, MO

A: There are three basic scenarios. And note that all of these are predicated on Trump either voluntarily dropping out, or else becoming unavailable due to death or disability. There is nothing in Republican Party rules, as they currently stand, that would allow them to cashier Trump against his will:

Trump drops out tomorrow: There are no longer enough unpledged delegates available for anyone besides Trump to claim the Republican nomination. So, if Trump were to throw in the towel tomorrow, or next week, or anytime before the Republican convention, then we would have an open convention, and his pledged delegates would become free agents. Exactly how many times they would have to vote for Trump before becoming free agents depends on the circumstances of his departure, and the state the delegates hail from, but the vast majority of them would be free to vote their personal preference after the second ballot. Party leadership would presumably try to steer the delegates toward a favored candidate, most likely Mike Pence, though if Trump were to die tragically, there might be sentiment for someone like Ivanka Trump in order to "honor" his legacy. And, in any event, there aren't smoke-filled rooms at the conventions anymore, so the delegates might be willing to be led, but they might not be.

Trump drops out the day after the convention: Now, this is where smoke-filled rooms enter the equation. By Republican Party rules, the replacement candidate in this circumstance would be chosen by the 168 members of the RNC. The same would be true for the Democrats, incidentally, except that the DNC has a little over 400 members.

Trump drops out the day before the election: At some point—and this is determined by state law in the various states and D.C.—it would be too late to legally remove Trump's name from the ballot. That time would definitely have arrived by the day before the election and, in most states, would arrive by Oct. 1. In that case, the Republican Party would announce that a vote for Donald Trump is really a vote for [X], where [X] is the Party's favored candidate. Again, that would presumably be Mike Pence. And depending on how the upcoming Supreme Court decision about faithless electors comes down, it might have to be Mike Pence.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 06:06 PM   #25131
molson
General Manager

Quote:
though if Trump were to die tragically, there might be sentiment for someone like Ivanka Trump in order to "honor" his legacy.

OK don't get my hopes up for Ivanka/Biden debates.

Quote:
Trump drops out the day before the election

I can't even believe we're talking about this. Trump has truly made the impossible possible.

Last edited by molson : 06-30-2020 at 06:09 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 06:14 PM   #25132
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

I suppose if there's anyone who could fuck this up, it's Joe Biden. His operatives need to make sure he takes his naps and keeps his speeches to a minimum.
Old 06-30-2020, 06:22 PM   #25133
thesloppy
Pro Starter

At pretty much any other point I would've celebrated the idea of Trump leaving office under any circumstances, but now I would hate to be denied the prospect of watching him suffer through a historic loss.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 06:34 PM   #25134
tarcone
Coordinator

I bet we see a historic amount of people vote this election. Both sides are pretty fired up.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 07:26 PM   #25135
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comey View Post
Well, it wasn't formed until late last year (12.17.19), so....

That's kindof my point. It wasn't until now that it was time to go take a bat to him rather than after all the other awful stuff he has done.

SI

Old 06-30-2020, 07:26 PM   #25136
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I suppose if there's anyone who could fuck this up, it's Joe Biden. His operatives need to make sure he takes his naps and keeps his speeches to a minimum.

Maximum naps, minimum speeches: Vote Biden 2020!

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 06-30-2020 at 07:26 PM.
Old 06-30-2020, 10:07 PM   #25137
JPhillips
General Manager

Yet another Qanon believer wins a GOP House primary. This time in CO.
Old 06-30-2020, 10:32 PM   #25138
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post

And knocking out a Trump-back incumbent while doing so.
Old 06-30-2020, 11:00 PM   #25139
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post

Every election cycle over the last decade, the Republicans seem to find another batshit group to be their new extremists. They're going to end up with a dozen Qanoners that make the old Freedom Caucus look reasonable.
Old 07-01-2020, 01:18 AM   #25140
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

What a difference a few months make, eh?

https://www.actionnetwork.com/politi...rump-joe-biden
Old 07-01-2020, 06:09 AM   #25141
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
What a difference a few months make, eh?

https://www.actionnetwork.com/politi...rump-joe-biden
Wasn't that the exact same percentage chance he had to win over Hillary on election night 2016?
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 07:06 AM   #25142
Flasch186
Coordinator

And the GOP yawns over the bounty's put on US troops by Russia. Unbelievable how the frog has been boiled, cremated, and spread of ashes...

The presidency will never be the same in my lifetime. It has been eviscerated of all that was meant to make it esteemed.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 07:09 AM   #25143
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Wasn't that the exact same percentage chance he had to win over Hillary on election night 2016?

RealClearPolitics - 2016 U.S. Presidential Election Betting Odds
RCP said betting odds were 13%.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com...tion-forecast/
538 was 29%

Everyone else was like 1%, which is why most aren't doing projections this year.

Last edited by bronconick : 07-01-2020 at 07:09 AM.
Old 07-01-2020, 07:17 AM   #25144
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
And the GOP yawns over the bounty's put on US troops by Russia. Unbelievable how the frog has been boiled, cremated, and spread of ashes...

The presidency will never be the same in my lifetime. It has been eviscerated of all that was meant to make it esteemed.

If you convince yourself it didn't happen, there's nothing to be outraged over.

Even guilty people can pass a lie detector test if they convince themselves of an alternate "truth."
Old 07-01-2020, 07:41 AM   #25145
PilotMan
Head Coach

If the D's were even in the slightest way like the R's in this instance, they would already have gotten the names of soldiers who even remotely 'could' have been the victims in this, and trotted out the parents, children, and spouses and already been running ads about their blood being on the presidents hands.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 07:41 AM   #25146
Kodos
Resident Alien

Now if Hillary was still Secretary of State, you bet your ass there would be a dozen investigations.
Old 07-01-2020, 09:52 AM   #25147
Comey
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
That's kindof my point. It wasn't until now that it was time to go take a bat to him rather than after all the other awful stuff he has done.

SI

No, there have been groups doing it all along. NowThis has been absolutely consistent and effective in posting videos showing his hypocrisy and times he's been out of line or unlawful. There are several other groups too. It's highlighted moreso with The Lincoln Project because it's geared towards the election, and also that there's more high-profile people delivering the message (and, thus, getting more support of the Democratic Party).

But make no mistake...these kind of videos have been circulating for the last four years.

Old 07-01-2020, 10:00 AM   #25148
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
If the D's were even in the slightest way like the R's in this instance, they would already have gotten the names of soldiers who even remotely 'could' have been the victims in this, and trotted out the parents, children, and spouses and already been running ads about their blood being on the presidents hands.

I've seen at least two parents make statements about this, but none tied to a group.Yet.

I'm guessing the Dems will continue to sit back and let the other groups run the negative ads. I'm sure there is some sort of loose alliance/strategy to that effect.
Old 07-01-2020, 10:03 AM   #25149
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm guessing the Dems will continue to sit back and let the other groups run the negative ads. I'm sure there is some sort of loose alliance/strategy to that effect.

Traditionally, this is how the Republicans have run things. Their side groups run the utterly horrific ads so the candidates can 'keep their hands clean' to an extent. Now, this doesn't apply with Trump of course.
Old 07-01-2020, 10:55 AM   #25150
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Traditionally, this is how the Republicans have run things. Their side groups run the utterly horrific ads so the candidates can 'keep their hands clean' to an extent. Now, this doesn't apply with Trump of course.

Glad Dems are finally embracing this playbook